Davis frustrated by Cooley injury, losses

The Redskins had planned to feature Chris Cooley and Fred Davis in multiple tight-end formations often this season.

But Davis earlier in the season did not display the improvement that coaches had hoped for. And then, in the Oct. 26 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, Cooley suffered a lower-leg injury that many in the organization said would end his season.

The Redskins today officially assigned Cooley to the season-ending injured-reserve list, meaning he must sit out the final five games. So all of Coach Jim Zorn's ideas about using Cooley-Davis together will be shelved for now and possibly forever.

Although he is under contract next season, Zorn is not expected to return in 2010. Will a new head coach find value in having Cooley and Davis on the field together? Will the Redskins remain committed to running a version of the West Coast offense?

"I definitely think it would be good to use us out there together," said Davis, who has become a key part of the offense since Cooley has been out. "We've done some of that, and I definitely think we can do more and make plays out there together. That would just make it tougher on the defense."

In Sunday's 27-24 loss to the Eagles, Davis had four receptions for 43 yards and scored his second career touchdown. He has displayed an ability to gain yards after the catch while breaking tackles - something at which he excelled during college - and has worked hard on blocking.

Despite his improved performance, losing takes the fun out of it, Davis said. "It's just real frustrating," he said. "I'm just tired of losing. I've never been through situation before and it's an experiencing. I think we're getting better every week together, but it just hasn't clicked at the end yet.

"We've had a lot of injuries. You can't lose guys like Chris Cooley and the guys we've lost and not have it hurt you. We've been a little unlucky to have so many guys go out for the year, but I really feel like we're getting better even with a lot of us young guys in there. I guess that's the upside."

By Jason Reid  |  November 30, 2009; 3:37 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley placed on IR (updated)
Next: Mike Williams may replace Edwin Williams

Comments

Can't say that it possible to feel good about the promise the replacements are showing, but I don't feel bad about it. And such as...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 30, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Now that Fred is playing with the big boys, and is willing to give up a quote or two, I wonder if we'll start talking about his metamorphosis?

Posted by: daggar | November 30, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

On the game that CC was hurt, Davis had 7 receptions w/o knowing the play book.

Zorn is an idiot and should not have any say in who is playing, what the game plan is or what plays are called during the game. He should also not be allowed to call TO. Sherms Smith should be allowed to run the offense.

Please end the insanity of Vinny and Zorn. Now.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 30, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if anyone else is sensing this, but it sure sounds to me like Vinny and Zorn are both trying to use all these injuries as the explanation for this awful season.

But that is pure BS. The only guys that went down early were Samuels and R Thomas, two players almost everyone had concerns about. The season was awful BEFORE injuries to the players you wouldn't expect to get hurt.

What makes this 'injuries' excuse even more ridiculous is that the team has played its BEST football with all these guys out. Betts and Rock were better than Portis. vs dallas, with Albert out, the defense nearly pitched a shut out. vs philly, we scored 24 points and led by 8 in the 4th quarter.

Maybe I'm hearing something that isn't there, but I get this sense that Zorn and Vinny are both trying to spin these injuries so fans won't blame them for DEBACLE '09 ®.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 30, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Gee, wouldn't it have been great if the coach had actually used some plays with two tightends so that Davis and Cooley could have been used at the same time? I wonder what Sherm Lewis could have done with both of them...

Let's face it, the triplets' development suffered because the coach didn't let them play. They are getting their shots and look - they are producing. Now, before they slow down Marko Mitchell, howsabout getting him some playing time? Why not inactivate ARE for a game and see how MM and crew do without him. this could be a preview for next season...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 30, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is a total f up. At the end of the second quarter he dithered on calling a time-out. We could have had ten more seconds on the clock. What the h is that dude thinking?!

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 30, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Just watched the zorn presser and have confirmation.

Zorn is an idiot. Completely clueless.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 30, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 30, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Thomas and Samuels were pretty much locks for getting injured early and going to IR.

Portis, Betts, and Cartright are all RBs that are either 30 or have had 2,000 carries.

Haynesworth has never played 16 games a year. He averages 14.

BMW is a retread that dropped too much weight too fast. He never should have been considered a backup plan this year.

Really the only injuries that can not be blamed on mismanagement are Jarmon, Cooley, Brennan, Eddie Williams, Horton and Rhinehart. Only one of them was a starter.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 30, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for seeing about Marko. ARE should go in the offseason, I think we'd be more than OK with Moss, DT, MK, Davis, Cooley, and Marko. That's a ton of weapons for defenses to take into account...all the more reason for us to build a solid offensive line around them...

Posted by: mattylight | November 30, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Injuries have played their role, but yes, this team had serious issues before this rash of injuries hit us. I think Bos wrote a great article on JC. As fans, we all want the next Manning or Brady or Tony Homo, but that mentality is just like Snyders in that we run the risk of never being thankful for what we do have. JC is not a superstar, but he is one tough SOB. He has been ensconced in the most dysfunctional environment that I think any pro athlete could be in, and yet the guy plays like a warrior. I do appreciate JC and what he does...I love it when he pulls down the ball and runs for a touchdown or for a 20 yard scamper. He brings alot of good things to the table. After watching closely these last few games, I do not see JC as "the problem". Under the right coach, right O-Line, and right GM, JC could be a fantastic Redskins QB. I personally would like to see JC back in DC next year and beyond. However, Portis and Zorn can go.....and Vinny. I'll take the toughness, grit, and professionalism of JC any day over the veneer surface and aloofness of Brady or Tony Homo.

Posted by: httr20081 | November 30, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

To horribly mix metaphors, I'm glad Sleepy's alarm bulb has finally blinked on.

In situations like this you look for silver linings where you can find them, and some of our young-uns finally seem to be figuring out some stuff.

If only Snyderatto had comparative cognitive abilities.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 30, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Really? Is that a fact?

Hey 4th, care to divulge the details...

Posted by: p1funk | November 30, 2009 3:06 PM

SURE! I'm glad someone finally asked!

Well see, this one time when I use to play High School Football.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is gone. Hopefully, he can find a nice job as a QB coach at some west coast college, or maybe as a security guard somewhere. Just as long as I don't have to hear him drone on and on ever again.
Vinny is the one to be concerned about. The Zorn hire was his most egregious, clearest example of incompetence. But if he wrapped the Ferrari around the telephone pole because Snyder was in the passenger seat giving him directions, then he might get off with just a warning.
And the way he's worked to fix things, once they identified the problem as Zorn, I think he has an argument.
But only if he can say to Dan, "you and I both fell in love with the Z-bus. We thought we could make it work, but..."

Posted by: daggar | November 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | November 30, 2009 4:14 PM

It'a been done already. What more is there to say than "One morning as, Gregor Samsa was waking from anxious dreams, he discovered that in his bed he had been changed into a mostrous, verminous bug."

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I AM TIRED OF THIS TEAM BLAMING ITS INEFFECINCIES ON INJURIES...WHAT A JOKE.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 30, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

But the guy has also thrown his HC under the bus publicly, thrown his offensive line under the bus publicly, gotten into a petty argument with BMitch on the radio, gotten into a spat with Sellers, etc."

Posted by: mattylight

It was Zorn who threw him under the bus first and NEVER accepted responsibility for the teams poor play. If it was anyone else who called out the line or Sellers, folks would've been saying good and they deserved it, finally, etc.

Honestly, was CP wrong about the line or Sellers? Hell no!

Posted by: dcwun | November 30, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins had planned to feature Chris Cooley and Fred Davis in multiple tight-end formations often this season"

Lies, Lies, and more lies. Sorry, but I just don't buy this. If this was what they wanted to do, then why did Davis have so few catches in the games before Cooley was hurt, and so many after??

"But Davis earlier in the season did not display the improvement that coaches had hoped for. And then, in the Oct. 26 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, Cooley suffered a lower-leg injury that many in the organization said would end his season"

And yet when Cooley went down, he managed to catch 7 passes in that game alone. Lets call this what it is, and that is an abject failure of the coaching staff to properly utilize the players they have. Lets stop blaming the players, and lets stop saying they were not up to the 'coach's standards' cuz thats just bullcrap...

Davis, MK, DT, Tryon, Rhinheart, Barnes, all should have been playing MUCH, MUCH sooner, than this staff allowed....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"The season was awful BEFORE injuries to the players you wouldn't expect to get hurt."

And the irony is that the team (more specifically, the offense) is playing approximately 700x better since Sherm Lewis dipped his pretty little mind into the swing of things, which was AFTER all the injuries hit.

Imagine what he could do with Samuels, Cooley, and a 'motivated' (read: coach-inspired/coach-pushed) Portis.

The biggest problem with this team is and has been Jim Zorn since Samuels initially went down with the knee affliction in 2008. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt in the offseason (even though I called him out in the middle of last season's ending run), but Sherm Lewis is showing him up right now. And Lewis has been out of the game for years.

Posted by: psps23 | November 30, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm here for the jibby jabba....

Take that Redskins talk somewhere else!

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 30, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | November 30, 2009 4:33 PM

If he wrapped the Escalade around the fire plug then he wouldn't even have to talk to the cops.

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

...over the veneer surface and aloofness of Brady or Tony Homo.

Wow. Those are two examples that do not go together.

Are you saying that you'd reject Brady for JC straight up? If so, we may have to take your name off the 'next GM' list.

Posted by: daggar | November 30, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is a GD TOOL. If it were up to me, he would have been gone a month ago.

Its not even really about the losing, but of course that is a large part.
The biggest problem with him is he can't manage the game, he has F'ed up JC17 perhaps beyond repair(but i don't think so in the end), and he is an absolute uninspiring azzclown.

"I have to think about how i want to handle that"... what he means is he wanted to bring CC in and let him know face to face that he is gonna have to go on IR. Great, that is how it should be done. BUT, you don't tell the media you are gonna put him on IR BEFORE you have said meeting.

He seemingly doesn't get the fact that just because JReid and compatriots ask a question, it doesn't mean JZ has to answer as if he is being interviewed on the stand as a murder witness or as if he is filling out a profile on Eharmony and he doesn't want to screw up the chance to find his perfect match.

The sooner both he and Vincent are gone the better as far as I'm concerned. I don't want them to have the chance to make any decision that will affect negatively next year.

Why are we not bringing in a PSqaud OT sleeper for Wynn again?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 30, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

20081, I like Jason too, so I agree with you.

BUT if we go in another direction, I'd definitely understand. My only issue is I dont want to mortgage multiple draft picks on a qb, it's not working so well with sanchez and cutler thus far. Too much of a crapshoot.

Spend on a line. If premier LTs are gone when we draft in 1st, and someone smart (not snyderatto) decides a qb is worth the pick, so be it. Then use all other picks on a line. That said, I'd prefer JC and a credible oline.

Posted by: AdamCr | November 30, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I was willing to have Zorn back for continuity's sake but the 2 runs and 1 throw to 3rd row in the redzone was it for me. You have a chance to put the iggles down by 12 and you play for the field goal? Everyone @ Stinkon Field and the announcers knew thats what they were doing.
Same deal in Dallas, 15 secs and you don't take another shot at the endzone?
So:
Tentative play calling
Poor talent evaluation
Poor game/ clock management
Lack of preparation
Poor team attitude
Poor team management
= Fire Jim Zorn

Posted by: priceisright | November 30, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Why are we not bringing in a PSqaud OT sleeper for Wynn again?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 30, 2009 4:40 PM

Because Wynn never played OT in the first place? Because, frankly, we were a bit disappointed when out TE last year turned out to be a sleeper? Because we're short on cap space and can't pay both Wynn and someone to sleep on the O line? Because there's no one out there worth taking a shot on?

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Why are we not bringing in a PSqaud OT sleeper for Wynn again?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 30, 2009 4:40 PM

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: httr20081

I read that Bos column and thought the same thing. Nice to see that other writers realize that JC is the least of our problems.

Posted by: dcwun | November 30, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

If he wrapped the Escalade around the fire plug...

fire plug, old chap? I say, it's quite an expensive lorry to end up in a sticky wicket like that. I can only imagine that one of the flay rods went askew on treadle.

Posted by: daggar | November 30, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Zorn said "In this particular scheme, guys get more time they start playing faster and this scheme is harder to cover"

Yet he has kept the young guys from getting that playing time.

Idiot.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 30, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | November 30, 2009 4:47 PM

What I can only imagine is that he has a pretty good insurance policy on his pimped-out ride.

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

IF YOU THINK CLINTON PORTIS ISN'T TOUGH THEN YOU ARE A RETARD AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL.

Posted by: wewbank1 | November 30, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree with beantown greg and others who for weeks have been stating that zorn should have played younger player's especially the guys who were drafted last year, I don't care if they don't know all the routes yet let them run the ones they do know and get them the ball. we are seeing the young player's make plays now because of injuries, jarmon I think should have been starting by mid-season and moving daniels to dt. other teams play young player's the moron here don't have the common sense to use d. thomas, westbrook and tryon at the kick return positions all 3 of them were top people in their conferences coming out of college..and they still use randle el a man who has not had a good kick return in almost 3 yrs as their main man..fire this entire staff and cerrato in the locker room at the last game of the season.

Posted by: wathu19 | November 30, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse