Davis gets two more TDs

A season ago, the Redskins got just two touchdowns out of their tight ends, and this season, quarterback Jason Campbell lost his favorite receiving target, Chris Cooley, in October. But Campbell has a new favorite target, particularly in the red zone.

With two more touchdowns on Sunday, tight end Fred Davis has scored in each of the past three games. Though he has a team-high five touchdowns on the season -- two more than any other Redskin -- it's not like he's saving his touchdown balls.

"I expect myself to do that, if I have the opportunity," said Davis, who finished Sunday's game with 50 yards on three catches. Until Cooley went down, Davis' role in the offense was limited. He'd never had more than three catches in a game in his short time as a pro. Suddenly, he's a capable target for Campbell, particularly on short passing routes.

"It's all about opportunity in the league," Davis said. "A lot of people were bashing us earlier, but when you get the opportunity, you got to rise to the occasion."

Gano's on target

Kicker Graham Gano's first career NFL game was mistake-free. Signed last week to replace Shaun Suisham, who was released following the team's loss to New Orleans, Gano nailed both of his field goal attempts and was perfect on four extra points tries. His 46-yarder in the second split the uprights with plenty of room to spare. He also added a 41-yard field goal late in the game.

"Well, I can always do better," Gano said. "But, yeah, it feels good. I felt I struck the ball pretty well. There are some things I'm going to work on this week. I felt like the conditions weren't too bad. It was a little muddy and what not, but I had the right cleats for it."

Injury update

The Redskins were without their two biggest free-agent signings: defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (ankle) and cornerback DeAngelo Hall (knee). It was the third game each has missed this season and neither made the trip with the team to Oakland.

In addition, the Redskins lost defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin in the opening half with a shoulder strain. In his place, Phillip DanielsÖ and Lorenzo Alexander plugged the middle of the team's defensive line.

Jurgensen on Campbell's future

Dan Steinberg caught Sonny Jurgensen giving his take on Jason Campbell's future with the Redskins. "I'm not sure he's going any place," Sonny said. "I think he'll be back with the Redskins next year." Full details are at the D.C. Sports Bog.

By Rick Maese and Jason Reid  |  December 13, 2009; 11:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ganther has a big day in Raider territory
Next: Davis: 'The more I play, the better I'm going to be'

Comments

1st to say that was a good game !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 13, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

and 2nd F Dallas !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 13, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

and 3rd , we still need OL help !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 13, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Davis is developing into a legit TE. Just wondering if we have room for both him and Cooley on the roster next year. Guessing that depends on the coaching and if we run two tight end sets/whatnot, but I like this kid and his abilities and would hate to see him ball out on another team. Cowboys seem to get good production out of both Witten and Bennett, hoping we could do the same.

and Gano looked great today. Stoked to see him nail his FG's and blast some of his kickoffs into the endzone.

Posted by: Neverender84 | December 13, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

And fourth , all the other posters must be drinking the cool aid right now !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 13, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Lets wait and see who's running the show next year before we go shipping off our extra TE, can never have to many gamers on one team. On the new Kicker Gano , hope this is just the beginning of a long run of success. Well done Gano !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 13, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking about about JReid's "Why now?" Swees comments and I thought today answered pretty clearly. Because Swees wasn't going to be on the squad next year, and we get to give a young leg a try, and if we keep him next year he has 4 games under his belt.

Posted by: OrganicWater | December 13, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Neverender84 | December 13, 2009 11:26 PM

Davis isn't going anywhere and unless a team is willing to offer a 2nd for Cooley, I'd like to keep him.

Typically a two TE set works on 1st down and 2nd and short. That set doesn't stretch the field, but with two guys of their abilities could present problems for defenses.

It's nice for once to have depth at a position and now if we can only create such problems with the OL.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 13, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I love it. Cooley has been top 5 player on team for 5 seasons but Davis strings together some good games and now we should jettison him? Its not like Cooley is that old. The last thing this team needs is less play makers.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 13, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Two TEs worked fine for Colts with Clark/Pollard and then Clark/Utecht...

You line up cooley in slot with Davis in motion.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 13, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Great. We've beaten two opponents this year missing their starting QB's in the second half and two perennial losers. Great progress my butt.

Posted by: jsmith33351

The team has progressed. Your butt, not so much. Or do you call scoring 24-30-34 points in consecutive games a lack of progress?

Posted by: TheCork | December 14, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Graham Gano....It only took Vinny, what? 4-5 tries to get a kicker, but this one could be a jewel. Not only was he kicking off into the end zone on a wet field, but directionally.

Posted by: TheCork | December 14, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

An old good coach for GM and let him sort out who to keep and who to let go. Look at how well Bill Parcells is doing in Miami.

Marty Shottenheimer, Jimmy Johnson, Tony Dungy are a few names.... I like Marty best because he already stood up to Danny.

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | December 14, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 14, 2009 12:26 AM

I finally agree with you.

So, John what would be your offseason To Do List?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 14, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

and 3rd , we still need OL help !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam

Yes, but improvements have been made. Levi Jones against Richard Seymoure more than held his own...Dockery is solid, and Big Mike WIlliams if he can keep his weight off, is a roadgrader right guard.

The line is Bigger and younger, and that's good.

Posted by: TheCork | December 14, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

We beat the meaningless Raiders in a meaningless season, and drop a draft spot? Fanfookintastic.

Posted by: chasgiffen | December 14, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

It sure is nice to finally reflect on a game that wasn't blown by dipsticks in the secondary getting burned by double moves or whiffing on tackles.

What a pleasure it is to not have to - once again, point out that with few spare minutes left in the fourth and the game on the line, our O failed to get into FG range to set up the winning kick.

Winning going away sure smells a lot better.

Too bad Randal El couldn't get on board.

Posted by: edvar | December 14, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

You know, for all the talk about continuity being the key to success, we have an offense with... umm, like 3 new linemen, an RB who was bagging groceries a month ago, a replacement for our pro bowl TE, no fullbacks left on the roster, a new playcaller, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.

Without that context, you can start to think about how the improvements over the last month might lead to Zorn saving his job. But the Replacements are even more damning to Zorn as far as I'm concerned. Sherm Lewis wanders in from the Food Relief wagon and puts the team into position to beat the Saints/Eagles/CowPies of the world, while Zorn with his 'fully loaded' starting offense can't beat the Detroits and Cheeves of the world.

Posted by: daggar | December 14, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

curious to see how the skins play against the desperate Giants and Cowboys. If this keeps up, I say bring back the whole gang next year, Vinny, Zorn, Sherm Lewis and Campbell.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 14, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

F Zorn and F Vinny too. Bring in Shanny, get the beef and a speed back, and watch us win 11 or 12.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 14, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

errrrrrrrm...

EXCUSE ME

but no one up here has mentioned that Rak, if I'm not mistaken, has what... 11 sacks on the year, but more importantly...

he's forced two opposing QB's to limp from the field with injuries; Orton, and now Gradowski.

that's one Kyle and one Bruce out for the count, sent to da locker room for treatment.

!!!!!!!!!!!QB KILLA!!!!!!!!!!!!

who dat?

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 14, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 14, 2009 1:35 AM

Nice one Rotfrau....

And yet The Cork chooses to dismiss others instead of add insight.

Rotfrau > The Cork

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 14, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

why is randal el still returning punts?

Posted by: BMACattack | December 14, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

TIme to think about trading Cooley at high value. Sure he is on IR, but he'll still command a 2nd rounder. This team is doing well going young! They need to do what EVERY other team does and let the older players carry on gently into the good night. Randel El, Moss and Portis are the old regime. With more picks to bolster the o line, a fast RB and a free Safety to let Landry play strong safety this team would fill the most needed holes. Even at their worst the D looked good. Honestly, they are 1 and 3 in the last three games but they could easily be 4-0 and in the thick of it. Next year with the aforementioned picks and an uncapped year it could be pretty ridiculous for the skins. If they get rid of JC though, it is GAME OVER. Love him now...needs to stay.

Posted by: cdaige | December 14, 2009 3:23 AM | Report abuse

I go along with those that say keep both Cooley and Davis. Can't have too many guys that can make plays. Surely Cooley and Davis on the filed at the same time gives teams problems?? Of course we need to bolster the O-Line big time but if I was Vinny I'd be looking for ways to do it that didn't involved trading either of these guys.

Posted by: tartanskin | December 14, 2009 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Woo-hoo! Back in print, again! I knew when I hit the submit button last night that Cindy was gonna wanna use this nugget in today's paper:

"I wonder if Gano is watching Suisham kick?"

She didn't even have to edit it. She used it exactly like I wrote it. And she even spelled my name right.

But, unlike the others, when League-Source wins, we all win. I want to buy a beer for everyone reading this post! Go out, order your favorite swill, lift the glass and say "Here's to old League-Source." The treat's on me! Here's my Visa number:

1342 8903 7751 9981 Expires 11/09.

Enjoy!

Posted by: League-Source | December 14, 2009 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I'll come up and take my medicine again (take notes League Source): dead wrong about the Skins getting handled by the Raiders. Skins manned up and blew out a weak opponent, like a good team is supposed to.

I just don't know what to make of this: back to back 30 point games? A 3 touchdown win on the road out west? I still don't think Zorn is the answer, but if this team can win against the Giants and Cowboys (I'm already on record picking them to beat Dallas), the decision to fire Zorn suddenly isn't as automatic as we thought a month ago.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cdaige | December 14, 2009 3:23 AM

Cooley hardly fits into the "older vet" category. If anything, I'd trade Davis since he's younger, has more upside and could possibly get some return on that 2nd rounder we spent on him. I know Carolina could use a pass catching TE pretty bad, I'd start the phone calls there. But with an already pissed off fanbase, trading Cooley would only make things worse.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

No to trading Cooley. Get the right head coach in here that knows how to use both of them and thats a major headache for our opponents.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 14, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Talk of trading Cooley or Davis seems short-sighted to me. We've just seen how quickly an injury can take one of them away. Are we so used to having no depth that we're starting to plan it that way? Having both will be a good thing.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 14, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 14, 2009 7:52 AM

It would, but you have to give up something to get something. If this team can get some additional picks to get some more lineman here by dangling a backup TE, you'd be crazy not to look at it. If this team was solid all around, then they could rest on having two solid TEs and be happy about it. However, that is a luxury this team doesn't have.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Agree with FedorEm,

This team needs to play to their talent!! If the team is more suited to play a pro style 2 TE set or some other variation that can use the strengths of the QB and rest of the team, then thats what they should do. This team has toyed with the WCO,Fun and Gun, and plenty of inexplainable offenses for the past 10 years. Get a real GM and return to "REDSKIN FOOTBALL" and they'll be competitive again.

Posted by: usc932000 | December 14, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

A kicker that can kick kick offs in end zone!! What is this Redskin world coming to!

Hopefully Danny Smith will not screw this guy up and he starts kicking each one to the 10 yard line.

BTW, Randle El better not be back next year. He brings nothing to the Skins but I guess he is a good "locker room" guy to have.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 14, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 14, 2009 8:40 AM

Doubt it...he'll only be his coach for another 3 games.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 14, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

So *we* too can get touchbacks? Wow. I know everybody likes Suisham but I can't recall the last touchback he had.

And for once I agree with Vinny. Suisham wasn't going to be the long term kicker here, what with missing all those critical FGs. And until we become an offensive juggernaut, we are going to need a reliable kicker. So why not spend the next few games trying out a new guy.

Posted by: tundey | December 14, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse