Dealing with pain is new for Hall

The pain has been the worst part for cornerback DeAngelo Hall, who hasn't experienced as much as you would think after all these years in the NFL. Sure, Hall has had the usual assortment of bumps and bruises, but his sprained knee is something different for him.

"I've never had this before," he said. "I have a Grade-2 slight sprain of my MCL [medial collateral ligament], so I don't know what that really means. I've never had anything. I'm just kind of playing it all by ear."

After suffering the injury in the Week 11 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, Hall sat out Sunday's loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. Although Coach Jim Zorn has not ruled out Hall playing this week against the New Orleans Saints, Hall said he probably would not play "unless there's a miracle."

He did little in practice today as the team resumed preparations for the Saints. If Hall sits out again, cornerback Carlos Rogers would start. "It's not looking too good," Hall said. "But I'm going to keep working. I'm going to keep working on my rehab, doing all my strengthening exercises, trying to be ready. Trying to be ready mentally."

Hall leads the Redskins with four interceptions and is tied for eighth in the league. Hall finished the game against Dallas despite the pain because "I wanted to be part of something special. [I] tried to will myself through it.

"Couldn't really get out my cuts, get out my breaks, but they [the Cowboys] weren't really throwing the ball. I was able to hide a little bit for the remainder of the game, but I knew something was wrong. I just didn't know how bad it was."

Hall has been the Redskins' top playmaker in the secondary this season, and he would prefer to be on the field against the Saints' top-ranked offense. "Definitely," he said. "Any time you get a chance to make plays, you want to make those plays. To go up against these teams we went up against last week and we're going up against this week, this, as a defensive back, these are the kind of opponents you want to face.

"I've been fortunate enough in my career not to be hurt a lot, so this kind of goes with the territory. It's just kind of funny it happens at this point of the season. I'll keep fighting, keep trying to get back on the field, and when I do, I'll be ready. I can't do a lot of the things I normally do, especially as a defensive back. You need to be able to move quickly and not think or hesitate. If we had to go tomorrow, I wouldn't be out there."

By Jason Reid  |  December 2, 2009; 3:25 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Barring 'a miracle,' Hall won't play Sunday
Next: Saints defense relishes turnovers

Comments

"Dealing with pain is new for Hall"

Didn't he play half a season in Oakland?

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"Dealing with pain is new for Hall"

Didn't he play half a season in Oakland?

Posted by: p1funk

Something tells me there's gonna be a top 10 list of comebacks on this one. Here's my 1st go:

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Dealing with pain is new for Hall but not for anyone that's watched him play.

O, BURN!!!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

1. Sometimes making a tackle causes pain. Oh that's right, he's not being paid to tackle.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 3:41 PM |

2. Did he watch the Carolina Game?

Posted by: edvar | December 2, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

The way Brees is throwing the ball, it won’t matter how tight the coverage is. He’s one of those guys who can fit the ball in to a guy when 9 out of 10 other QB’s would feel that the receiver is covered. At least when he is given time to throw. Hopefully Big Al will suit up and give some serious push up the middle.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 2, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

At least Hall can substitue his lack of tackling with getting an occasional takeaway.

The rest of 'em, not so much.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

You are too numb in Oakland to feel pain.

Posted by: imasmrtazz | December 2, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

No Moneysworth & Hall = Saints: 45 'Skins: 3

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

If Hall sits out again, cornerback Carlos Rogers would start

WHY....Give Tryon the start...lets see what he can do...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"The way Brees is throwing the ball, it won’t matter how tight the coverage is."

It's not just Brees.

His receivers are maturing just as he is getting his groove on and his offensive line jelling.

I don't see the saints as a one year deal.

They are going to be good for a few years.

Thing is, as our young receivers mature, will they have the same guy throwing them the ball?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 2, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Colston will fight for the ball too and he will win.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

... goes out of his way of pointing out the wrong/inaccuracies in other post.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 2:58 PM |

Dood. This is a sports blog. Posting is a blood sport. If you bruise easily try a social networking site like Facebook. They won't tax your gig there.

Posted by: Coriolis | December 2, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"Colston will fight for the ball too and he will win."

This is a quality lacking, from what I see, in the young redskin receivers.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

showtime.....red meltdown coming in 5....4....3....2....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I keep hitting "refresh." Sometimes you just wait for these moments on RI.

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Everyone has to take a drink every time Red says bama or some variation of bama in his retort.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 2, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

moe, with only 2-3 balls coming their way a game, its hard to tell.....I tell you what, I think these youngins are gonna be good....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

This is a quality lacking, from what I see, in the young redskin receivers.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Not Marko Mitchell, he has it yet we don't play him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 2, 2009 4:11 PM

What's the over/under on bama? It's not like he's tweaking 4th. That's good for a six bama salute. This guy doesn't warrant bama is my call.

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Coriolis | December 2, 2009 3:58 PM |

Correction. I meant dood, not Dood.

dood = upside down poop

Posted by: Coriolis | December 2, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

As for your criticism of the trade I made, in which you think I ripped the other guy off ... the 2 guys I got combined for 7 points last week. The guys I traded away got 30. Its been lopsided, but not in the way you expected ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 2:16 PM

I can't believe you traded FOR Tom Brady and Larry Fitzgerald, Zeke! In the bestest tradition of RI...'your' an idiot!

Posted by: 4-12 | December 2, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12

I made that trade. So F me and the horse I rode in on.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Coriolis

Nope, no meltdown. Just *smh*...

It's like getting mad a mentally challenged kid. Why get surly with some clown-ass goofball from the Jim Zorn family tree?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

that is disappointing.....nothing to see here...I guess....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Correction. I meant dood, not Dood.

dood = upside down poop

Posted by: Coriolis

rehtom ruoy f og.

rehtom ruoy f og = "go f your mother" backwards.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

It's like getting mad a mentally challenged kid.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 4:26 PM

What's different this time? Used to put a butt-whippin on thetruth11 every time he posted.

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

... goes out of his way of pointing out the wrong/inaccuracies in other post.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 2:58 PM |

Posted by: Coriolis

Dude, dealing with pain is new for Red, too.

Posted by: TheCork | December 2, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Red, get after this dood...I am ready for some drinking...

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 2, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Red, get after this dood...I am ready for some drinking...

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 2, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

that is disappointing.....nothing to see here...I guess....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 4:30 PM |

Man, I thought for sure the ground would be shakin' by now....

Posted by: edvar | December 2, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse