Devin Thomas' study habits bring results

Many players slept on the long flight home after the Redskins' rout of the Oakland Raiders last week, but second-year wide receiver Devin Thomas was not one of them.

Instead of resting following the 34-13 win at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, Thomas studied film of his performance for much of the five-hour flight, people aboard the team charter said. The late-night study session was but the latest example recently of Thomas's maturation into the player the Redskins envisioned he could become when they selected him with their first pick in the 2008 draft.

"You heard about that?" Thomas asked, his face creased by a wide grin. "You know, I'll just say it, I wouldn't have done that last year. I wouldn't have been doing that because I was discouraged. I didn't really want to watch film because I wasn't out there and I was discouraged. But it's different now. Not just 'cause I'm playing but, you know, you have another year and you just start to understand some things.

"I'm a football player. I liked to watch film in college. I like to see what happened and how I can get better. You see a lot of things on film. But I wasn't involved [a lot] last year, so it was different. I'm a lot more involved now and the coaches are putting me in a position to make plays. They're depending on me and I don't want to let them down or my teammates."

Against the Raiders, Thomas had two catches for 38 yards. The previous week against the New Orleans Saints, he established personal bests in a seven-catch, 100-yard, two-touchdown performance.

The Redskins demoted primary kickoff returner Rock Cartwright in favor of Thomas, who has a 23.6-yard average on 17 returns. Impressed with Thomas's overall production and focus, Coach Jim Zorn plans to use him on punt returns for the first time Monday night against the New York Giants in an effort to improve the team's poor performance in that area.

"It's just another way I can help the team, so that's fine," Thomas said. "I'm ready."

By Jason Reid  |  December 20, 2009; 10:56 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Special Teams Report: Planning for Hixon, Thomas
Next: Giants' McKenzie, Webster to miss Redskins game

Comments

I'm looking forward to seeing DT return punts Monday night.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 20, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Free agent signings:

WR, Brandon Marshall

Book it.

Released players:
ARE

Book it.

Posted by: TDawg1 | December 20, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Marshall in, ARE out...I like it.

Posted by: bones21 | December 20, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I will be excited if they hire shanahan, but I think Zorn got wronged on this deal. Everyone want to blame him, but I think he did a nice job of keeping everyone playing hard through this circus. That says something for me about his ability. Sherman Lewis is getting to much credit for the offenses turnaround, could it possibly be a result to the o-lines performance. The line is playing better than they have all year long. I really like Shanahan, so in the long run we might be better off because we see what happens when Snyder trusts his coach like Gibbs. He stays a little more out of the way and that is the best thing about all of this.

Posted by: Redskins001 | December 20, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I also think this Jerry Gray thing is ridiculous. I cant believe he would interview for a job that he knows he probably is not going to get and do it before Zorn is fired. This shows the real problem of what Snyder and Vinny created by hiring all of the coaches. Many of Zorn's assistants have no loyalty to the man because he didn't hire them. Their loyalty is to Snyder for keeping them! Snyder is getting us all excited about next season as usual, hopefully this time we will have something to actually be excited about.

Posted by: Redskins001 | December 20, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

One final thing, keep it up Devin Thomas! You are the Man!!!

Posted by: Redskins001 | December 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

tdawg1

"Free agent signings: WR, Brandon Marshall
Book it."

That would create a wide receiver depth chart which would look like this:

B Marshall

S Moss

D Thomas

M Kelly

M Mitchell

I can't see the broncos slipping up and letting Marshall leave, though.

Maybe Marcus McNeil, tackle-Chargers, is the guy you really want to reach for.

And he's more like the guy we need.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Reskins001.....Sure that's all you got?

Posted by: bones21 | December 20, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

We don't need to add any WRs this off season.

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Marshall would be a luxury pick up which would require drafts picks I'm sure. What the Skins need during FA is to find an OT or G, and get a FS. That way during the draft, if they feel the need to make a move for a RB or OLB, even a DL that wouldn't be too bad. In the second they can look at the OL again as well.

Posted by: TWISI | December 20, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

league-source

"We don't need to add any WRs this off season."

Marshall won't be a redskin.

But Marcus McNeil should be.

The team should go after him in the same manner it chased Prince Al last winter.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

To all the "play the kids" fans, this may be a clue why suddenly DT has become a contributor, not, as you claim, that Idiot Zorn refused to play him out of stupidity or spite.

Odd too that it took Davis showing the initiative to stay at Redskin Park during the bye week and work on his blocking and patterns to develop into the TE he's become.

Hey, we should all be glad maturity arrived later rather than never.

Posted by: TheCork | December 20, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

From profootballweekly. Not that we didn't know it, but it's good to see it in writing.

The Redskins' offensive tackles of the future might not be on the roster. The team has used several players in both spots following the season-ending (and perhaps career-ending) injury to Chris Samuels, and few have panned out. We hear that this need rises to one of the team's offseason priorities as new GM Bruce Allen starts making his list of needs in the final few games.

Posted by: TWISI | December 20, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

redskin001

"I will be excited if they hire Shanahan, but I think Zorn got wronged on this deal."

If B Allen is as astute as folks claim, he'll really have to think hard about replacing a head coach who the team responds to and plays hard for, regardless of record.

Zorn's weaknesses have all been well documented.

But there is little chatta about how he, an emasculated leader, still gets his players to play for him.

That's a game management positive issue whose value outweighs the negatives by tons.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins say they will remove what they estimate to be 25 million pounds of snow from FedEx Field ahead of the team's "Monday Night Football" game against the New York Giants."

POSTED BY: REDSKIN INSIDER>

Uh-oh, ticket holders. I smell a "snow surcharge."

Posted by: TheCork | December 20, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

redskin001

Zorn's weaknesses have all been well documented.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 12:29 PM

If Bruce Allencan convince JZ to stay out of play calling, heck I'd take Chris Meidt over JZ, then we have something.

Posted by: TWISI | December 20, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Report: Snyder offered job to Shanahan in offseason

Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2009 12:29 PM ET
As the momentum continues to build between the Redskins and Mike Shanahan, Jay Glazer of FOX reports that owner Daniel Snyder initially offered the job to Shanahan during the 2009 offseason.

In response, Shanahan told Snyder that he needs to give coach Jim Zorn more than one year on the job.

The news meshes with rumors that have been circulating for months regarding offseason meetings and communications between Snyder and Shanahan, and regarding the belief that the Redskins tried to get quarterback Jay Cutler from the Broncos in anticipation that Shanahan would be the head coach.

And who knows? Maybe Shanahan would have decided to take the offer for 2009 if Cutler was going to be the guy.

Glazer also reports that, at the league meetings in March, Snyder asked former Broncos safety John Lynch to share everything he knows about Shanahan -- in the presence of Zorn.

All that said, Glazer says that Shanahan's top choice is the Cowboys. If so, it looks like Shanahan possibly has been using the Redskins in order to get Dallas owner Jerry Jones to bite.

Posted by: TWISI | December 20, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

tdawg1

"Free agent signings: WR, Brandon Marshall
Book it."

+++++++++++++++++++++++

!?!?

I don't see the Broncos letting their ONLY offensive asset leave the team.

Although last night before the Saints/Girls game, the talking heads mentioned that there's a good likelihood that Reggie Bush gets cut by the Saints.

He's due something like $8mill, and given that he's 1/3 of a backfield time-share, he's gonna need to renegotiate or probably get cut.

Maybe something incentive-laden to protect the team in case he keeps getting injured...

Posted by: p1funk | December 20, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

ESPN says Holmgren is expected to take Browns job.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 20, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

ESPN says Holmgren is expected to take Browns job.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 20, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

And this is why it was important for Snydes to fire Cerratto, hire BA, and begin due diligence on looking into new head coaches.

All the people talking about "disrepsecting" Zorn by interviewing potential coaches are sentimental dummies.

All the good proven candidates are already being wooed and interviewed around the league.

The Skins needed to get into the game.

Posted by: p1funk | December 20, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

What I find especially funny about this post is that when Reid and others in the local media were picking games, Reid actually said that he thought the Redskins would lose because of a 6 hour flight--AND HE SAID IT MORE THAN ONCE, ON DIFFERENT SHOWS. Of course, Reid, it is NOT a rickety plane like the one in the movie MAJOR LEAGUE. And, now we find out they can watch film OF THE SAME GAME on the plane. Reid, come on: give some real analysis as opposed to those trite reasons for picking against the Redskins.

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 20, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Report: Snyder offered job to Shanahan in offseason
Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2009 12:29 PM ET

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 20, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

What?

No redskins on today?

Today's viewing:

Dolphins v. Titans

Eagles v. Niners

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that all these reports are crap. These a holes don't know their a$$ from a hole in the street.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 20, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

p1funk

"I could warm up to the idea of a Portis/Bush platoon in the backfield, assuming we'd be able to sign Bush at a reasonable price/offer."

I can't agree.

Those guys are fragile.

Portis is already in the house, so your singular decision is, does he stay?

Bush's efforts and contributions can be had--from Spiller, Best, or McCluster.

R Bush is a luxury offensive player who complements an offense that has other, more dependable pieces.

The NFL has made him look very ordinary.

I'd avoid him during FA.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Well this game will also do something else: It will spotlight Fred Davis and it will show Bruce Allen that Cooley is expendable. That is, Cooley is a great player, but Davis is faster, has a better feel for the endzone, and just as difficult to bring down. (He needs to work on run-blocking). If the Skins trade Cooley for a 2nd and 4th rounder, for instance, it would be to their benefit. They have to start getting rid of players to build the O-line, secondary, and running backs. With Cooley out, TE production as remained high, IF NOT GOTTEN HIGHER. Cooley, who I know 'Skins fans love, must go. And remember, Bruce Allen is the guy that got rid of Lynch, Sapp, McFarlane (sp?), etc.--Bucs fans' favorites.

Can we start talking about trading Cooley away? It has to be done NOW while he has value

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 20, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I do not feel sorry for Zorn or see him as a martyr.

His use of personnel was poor. Continuing to use ARE as punt returner, and the essential "red shirting" of kelly/thomas/davis should not go unnoticed.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I agree 100%.

This whole notion that "he has the team playing for him" is a piled-high baloney sandwich.

Maybe the players realize that they are playing FOR THEIR JOBS, and that has been motivating them more than Gipper Zorn...

Posted by: p1funk | December 20, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 20, 2009 1:21 PM |

No, we can't...and shouldn't. We have 3 tight ends and should keep the best 2. Why weaken our position. What if Davis gets hurt like Cooley did, then we are down to average. Bad idea. I don't think that you should ever consider trading one of your best players just because you have another good one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 20, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"It will spotlight Fred Davis and it will show Bruce Allen that Cooley is expendable."

I can't agree with this.

Cooley has an established body of work.

He is a Pro Bowler.

I'd scheme formations where Cooley (H-back), Davis(TE), Thomas (split wide) and Moss (slot) are options with a speed back coming out of the backfield.

Keep Cooley.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 20, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

What clued you in? The fact that each one contradicts the next?

Posted by: mack1 | December 20, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

p1funk

I can't agree.

Those guys are fragile.

Portis is already in the house, so your singular decision is, does he stay?

Bush's efforts and contributions can be had--from Spiller, Best, or McCluster.

The NFL has made him look very ordinary.

I'd avoid him during FA.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather not use a high draft pick on a RB.

Bush does not have to be a No.2 overall pick here. He can just be what he is. He can return punts, be a change of pace out of the backfield, split out as a WR.

Again, if we offer an incentive-laden contract, the team can protect itself if he gets injured again.

Posted by: p1funk | December 20, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 20, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

What clued you in? The fact that each one contradicts the next?

Posted by: mack1 | December 20, 2009 1:35 PM

Well there's that and the fact that all of these people are frequently wrong.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 20, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Come on MistaMoe:
We don't need an H-Back. We need O-linemen, a RB on offense, a speed receiver (Moss is on the downside of his career and is dropping too many balls). We need to get rid of "pro-bowlers" in favor of players. We have to sacrifice if we are going to move forward. Look at the production with him out of the game. MORE TDs in the redzone (granted Sherman Lewis knows how to call a game, but Fred Davis has played particularly well.) Cooley is not at the level of a Dallas Clark or Antonio Gates, so at the TE spot he can go. Just think about it--if we could have more than 2 first day draft picks! Get a real FS and move Landry back where he belongs at SS, maybe.

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 20, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I can't agree with this.

Cooley has an established body of work.

He is a Pro Bowler.

Keep Cooley.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Hell, I say keep Yoder as well. If someone has to go, let it be Sellers. We need a good blocker among our TEs and Yoder has demonstrated that he can get it done from FB/H-back.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 20, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"I do not feel sorry for Zorn or see him as a martyr."

I don't feel sorry for him either.

I mean, at the end of the day, he'll leave DC better equipped as a head coach than he was when he came here.

His hiring as head coach was the end product of a loopy interview process where he was brought in to do one thing, then promoted to do something else.

The issue of his not being qualified to be head coach must not have seemed to be on the minds of his bosses.

Which is why I wonder why they later got upset with him for making boneheaded personnel and game time decisions that reflected his lack of experience.

You don't hire a guy to do what you know what he can't do.

Then blame him for it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Keep Cooley.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't you? I could understand if it was a contract year but it's not. Keep them until it comes time to resign them then make a decision. We're not going to get great value for him anyway so why get rid of him. We have plenty of backups for the line. We need starters. If we can't get 1st or 2nd round picks then why bother? We don't need another Chad Rhinehart. We need another Chris Samuels.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 20, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

You "weaken" the tight end position, sacampbell, when you have no offensive line. When you have no running back. When you have no speed receiver in a year (Moss is on the downside and drops too many balls). You don't need to stockpile on TEs because you are going to go to them each 60+ times a year. You see how Bennett is wasting away in Dallas. Man if a team like the Ravens got that guy (and got over Heap which they should have 2 years ago), he would be thriving. Instead, he gets 1 ball a game to him because Witten is there.
And frankly, TE is not that important that you need to keep 2 at the level of Davis/Cooley. CB, yes. OL, yes. TE--eh. Look at the last few superbowl winners, NONE of them had amazing run-after-the-catch TEs. If Davis got hurt, we would have go to the back-ups and look somewhere else for TE. TE is NOT LT.

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 20, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

p1funk

"...if we offer (R Bush) an incentive-laden contract, the team can protect itself if he gets injured again."

I'd sign him to return punts and kicks with Thomas, play receiver, give him a few rushing attempts, and make him my screen/draw guy.

But I would not bring him in with the idea he is going to be in DC what he was not in NO.

He's only a piece to a puzzle.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

You don't hire a guy to do what you know what he can't do.

Then blame him for it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, sounds really unfair. I feel kinda bad for that guy. ;)

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 20, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

My point on getting rid of Cooley is only, ONLY if we could get AT LEAST a 2nd round pick.

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 20, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I feel like I removed 25 million tons of snow from my house today, I'm not as young as I used to be I think I will be on this coach the rest of the day.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 20, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

romolongballs

"Yeah, sounds really unfair. I feel kinda bad for that guy."

If he's fired, Zorn should lay back, rest, and cherry pick a good job.

I bet he'll think twice about jumping into a situation where he's not ready to lead again.

I have a feeling he'll wind up in Brownsland with Holmgren

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

He's only a piece to a puzzle.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Me neither.

But if he can just come in here and be Reggie Bush, instead of coming in here to be a No.2 overall pick, then I think we'd have a great asset.

Everyone is down on him b/c they were expecting the 2nd coming of Walter Payton -which he is not.

But when healthy, he's as explosive a playmaker as there is in the NFL - Hester, Sproles, Harvin, L.Washington.

Posted by: p1funk | December 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling he'll wind up in Brownsland with Holmgren

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 2:00 PM

Yeah, as QB coach. Holmgren knew what he was good at.

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 20, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I can agree with that. There should be a lot of second round tackles this year and some of them may pan out to be left tackles so taking a couple of them would be a great idea. There are also a lot of running backs this year. It seems like the second round really has a lot of players in our need positions.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

have a feeling he'll wind up in Brownsland with Holmgren

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 2:00 PM

Yeah, as QB coach. Holmgren knew what he was good at.

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

No kidding.

THere's a reason Holmy wasn't grooming him to be the next HC in Seattle...or even the next OC as far as I know...

Posted by: p1funk | December 20, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Trade Cooley for what? If Tony Gonzalez is worth a second, then Cooley is worth... a third? Do you have a trade partner in mind?
Are you factoring in that Cooley will be coming off IR (at least it's not major knee surgery, but it's still a question mark)?
My impression is that Cooley is a much more valuable "Redskin" than he is a "pro TE", and that his trade value -- at a position that just isn't as important as most others (or rather, the distance between elite and adequate is a lot shorter).

Posted by: daggar | December 20, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"There's a reason Holmy wasn't grooming him to be the next HC in Seattle...or even the next OC as far as I know..."

I hate to go there, but some of us posted that when Zorn was hired, it wasn't because he was a strong coach, but a guy who'd be so thankful to get the job, he'd do as he was told.

Many of the revelations we've read about regarding the Cerrato-Zorn relationship show this to be the truth.

Things didn't work out as dysfunction only breeds more dysfunction.

They hired an unqualified guy who they wanted to boss around, not lead the team as coach.

It appears this situation has changed.

Hopefully, Mr. Allen will be man enough to say, "I know you sign the paychecks, Mr. Snyder."

"But let me make the decisions."

"And the coach will lead the team."

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21

Thats first FACT like statement i heard on this thing all day!....LMAO I know exactly how ya feel

Posted by: cocodc1 | December 20, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN: "NFL executives spotted and overheard Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen at last week's NFL labor seminar in Dallas engaged in a good solid 10 minutes of Mike-Shanahan-friendly conversation. Snyder was grilling Bowlen on Shanahan's attributes, and if there were any questions in the mind of the Redskins owner, Bowlen cleared them up. He gave Shanahan a ringing endorsement,..."

So how it work with Shanny's $$$ if he hired as HC for next yr? Bowl still on hook to Shanny for $7 M in 2010 and 2011. If Snyder hire him do he get free salary ride compliment of Bowl? No wonder the Bills were interested in Shanny. They small market penny pincher. Somehow one owner paying someone to be another owner HC don't sound right. So the hiring owner mebbe chip in some $$$ for Shany. Bowl prob know Snyder would be more generous than most. Heh, heh.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 20, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

We play the AFC South next season.

That's:

Colts

Titans

Jaguars

Texans

We know about the colts.

But remember the titans.

This team is gonna crush next year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

From what I have seen, most good organizations trade players for value before they begin their decline. I'm all for two tight end sets, but Cooley has value now and you cannot have talent like Davis on the bench.

If you can get a 2nd and a 4th or no less than a 3rd, I'd make the deal.

Second...

Why are so many insisting that we take an O-lineman with our 1st round pick. If a guy like Spiller is there you take him-OR-trade back for more picks then you can get you O-lineman. We need almost everything on this team.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Danny and Shanny. It have nice ring to it don't it.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 20, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins as it is currently comprised CANNOT beat the Indianapolis Colts...

I rarely say that about my team, but after what I saw agaist the Jags...it ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 2:23 PM |

The prob with taking Spill is it one dimension. If you build OL it two dimension. Good OL mean good run game and good pass game.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 20, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | December 20, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Shockey went to NO for a 2nd and 5th the offseason after surgery to repair a broken fibula, a more severe injury than Cooley's. Having said that, I agree he's worth more to us here playing for us.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 20, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 20, 2009 2:18 PM |

This from dud who in past post that Skins keep Zorn as HC. Good job buddy.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 20, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 20, 2009 2:06 PM |

Him and 30 other NFL teams knew the dud weren't HC material.

Posted by: ElDrano | December 20, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

giant beeps

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 20, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Cooley may be more valuable here, but I am sure the 'Skins can get a 2nd rounder for him (the Ravens need a pass-catching TE, for instance). Winslow went for a 2nd AND 5th round (Cooley is better); Gonzalez went for a 2nd round (Cooley is not better, but MUCH younger), Shockey went for a 2nd and 5th round (Cooley is just about there). They can get a 2nd and 5th for him. It would be in our interest to do so and GET 2 OL in the second round. 1st round has to be best available among RBs or OLs. (We also need 2-4 round to get a MLB with potential because Fletcher won't be here forever.)

Posted by: Invisman52 | December 20, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

the signing of brandon marshall would be a bad idea. we don't need another wideout when we have m. kelly, d thomas, m mitchell, s moss. i think bruce allen's first major move should be putting us in a position where we have plenty of cap room as opposed to asking veterans to redo their contracts. look at teams like the patriots, philly and the giants who have plenty of depth and always stay well under the salary cap to adequately sign their draft picks. we don't need marquee skill position players. we need depth at the o line like the ravens have. we need a gm who'll avoid giving away all our draft picks to sign guys who are only interested in a big payday. hopefully bruce will be the voice of reason and say "hey dan, i understand you want an instant winning team but over the past few seasons since you've been the owner and cerrato was handling things, the big spending hasn't been the solution. let's try this approach, dan.....let's develop the guys we already have on the roster and you'll be able to save money."

Posted by: charronegro1971 | December 20, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

thomas,another peacock that likes to look in the mirror.a career 3 or 4 reciever.

Posted by: DLESMonday | December 20, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse