Dungy's Take on the Redskins

Tony Dungy was among the league's most successful and respected coaches while leading the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Indianapolis Colts.

Dungy's reasoned approach helped the Colts become a model franchise, and people throughout the NFL listened when Dungy spoke. Dungy's words continue to carry weight in his new role as an analyst for NBC, and he recently weighed in on the problems the Redskins are experiencing.

During an in-studio conversation, former safety Rodney Harrison, also now on the NBC payroll, basically placed much of the blame for the Redskins' poor start on quarterback Jason Campbell.

"Well, I mean, there are  many problems in dealing with the Washington Redskins. But the one problem in particular is definitely Jason Campbell, the quarterback," said Harrison. "I don't know what they see in this guy. To me, he's a backup quarterback that's been elevated to a starter. I mean, he's a guy that's unpredictable, he's inconsistent, and he's not a guy that defensive players look at and fear."

Dungy had a different view.

"Well, I'm not going to blame it all on the quarterback. He threw for a lot of yards [340 in Sunday's 19-14 loss to Detroit] today; they're having trouble scoring," Dungy said. "But I think it goes to a bigger thing, maybe an organizational thing.

"It's always new free agents, new players, all-star guys. They've got to build a team concept there ... and it's not always getting the best players, it's building a good team, building a team that everyone has confidence in, and right now they don't have confidence."

Michael on the Redskins

Via D.C. Sportsbog and "The Mike Wise Show" over at 106.7 comes this item on Wise's interview with George Michael. .

By Jason Reid  |  October 1, 2009; 1:40 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sore Ankle Won't Sideline Campbell
Next: Blache Dives Under Bus, Makes a Change

Comments

I'm not sure if "confidence" is the problem on the field... I think it's "execution."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Not saying I don't agree with Dungy in general about the organization and the team... I just don't think characterizing the issue as one of "confidence" is quite on the mark.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 1, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Why, IMO, CH48 was out of position and had to play catch up on the interference play:

In the first half on the 99 yard drive. Defense stopped them short, but Lions were called for a penalty. In a move even more ingenious than calling the 819th run left in short yardage, Zorn brilliantly takes the penalty to prevent a FG. Nice move, it worked, no FG. Its 3rd and 13 and Redskins rush 3(4?, no real matte) and play max protect. Dbs and LBs all stay home in their pass pro. Stafford escapes the "rush" and gallops unmolested for a first down. DBs could not close quick enough.

Now its the second half and another 3rd and long. 48 thinks "I'm gonna get the guy before he makes a first down scrambling or before the RB eludes the DL and LBs" and peeks in the backfield instead of paying sole attention to his coverage. Guy gets a step or two, ball is under thrown, and Horton gets a flag. He was smoked from the get go looking in the backfield, and if the ball was throw well, the guy catches a wide open TD anyway.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 1, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Until the Skins score above 20 points I refuse to believe they have the ability to do so, and I question the logic of anyone who predicts such a thing to happen.

Posted by: REXskins | October 1, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------

Who let Emmit Smith in?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

OMG, George Michael really laid it all out.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Tony Dungy in 2010!!

Please Snyder make the right hire. The guy is pure class. He also is a great coach who understands how to inspire without bluster and blather.

All Skins fans could wake up gameday with the same confidence they used to have in the 80s with Gibbs.

Posted by: elfreako | October 1, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Nedd a serious jolt of MoJo this weekend.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"The Steelers' offensive production was completely mediocre last season, and I dunno, I think they had an a-ight year."

And they also had a mediocre offensive line.

But when you watch the super bowl, their quarterback made the throws at the end of the game that got them the ring.

To be shown serious money, a quarterback has to sometimes win when other pieces of the team are sub par.

The redskin defense is down after being stellar for a few years.

So what.

The offense, however, is still down, and has been so since before St. Joe came and went.

In a passing league, you want a guy at quarterback who can take victory away every once and a while.

And if a guy can't win an occasional game with his legs, arm, and mind, does he deserve and extension?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Frustration runs high in Redskins Nation.

Understandable, BUT...

I think many people (myself included) were spoiled by coming-of-age (as respects football, anyway) during the late 70's and early 80's and witnessing 4 Super Bowls - 3 wins - and regular playoff appearances between 1982 - 1992.

It's worth noting that the Redskins had a long, dry spell during most of the 40's, all of the 50's and 60's. And the 70's, Super Bowl 7 notwithstanding, weren't exactly banner years either.

I'm not a huge Danny supporter, but I don't necessarily dislike him either. The man spends money and wants to win. Not every owner in the NFL is like that.

As for the GM situation, I'd love to see Cerrato hit the pavement, but that doesn't mean I think hiring a GM is a panacea.

The Browns have a GM. The Lions have a GM. The Chiefs have a GM. The Bengals have a GM. The Falcons have a GM.

What good has it done any of them in the long run? In 40+ years, how many Lombardi trophy's have the aforementioned franchises ever held up?

There are 13 games left to play. People shouldn't be giving up so soon (and I'm guilty of it myself, i.e., the post-game angst and knee-jerk reactions).

Stay positive.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 1, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Horton got called for a phantom penalty. Moss got facemasked on a 3rd down play. Yes, the refs had a big impact on the game with poor calls.

But its not clear that we win that game, even if the calls had been made correctly. It wouldn't have surprised me if the Lions had scored on the drive that Horton got flagged. Take away the TD that resulted fromt he Horton call and replace it with a FG and Det still has 16 points, more than what we scored.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Both Harrison & Dungys' comments ring True!
If I were a player, I would play my rear end off for a guy like Dungy. His values &
ideals are common that people can relate to.

Posted by: madalao | October 1, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

but how many times have we seen the 'Skins have a rush where they breakdown the pocket and 2-3 guys are chasing the QB unmolested this year?

Ever?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 1, 2009 1:34 PM

A few, but they are never able to get a grapple on the QB. Neva. Poor Angles? Bad techinique? It's something......

That's why I am tempering my 'on the bus' with the Orakpo pick. I saw it in the preseason. He doesn't/hasn't finished off a play, yet.....

It's always close, but no reward. I give him credit for that one sack, though. But have you seen this guy in pass coverage? His zone stays getting lit up! He's still thinking too much. He's never been a LB in his life. The life of a LB and a DE are drastically different. If they wanted a SAM, Cushing is performing very well in Houston.

Keep Orakpo @ DE permanantly.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

MrRedskin21

great post...

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Can we trade Ladell Betts now for a 2nd or 3rd round pick? I think this may be too high for him. We don't need him now that we have Mason and Alridge. They can do the same job as Betts. We need as many picks as we can get. I will use all my picks on drafting OL and RB's. Nothing else. Get rid of Portis in the off season also. Trade or release him. Start a new running back. Even if its a rookie. We need a new look. Sick and tired of seeing Portis and Betts doing the same crap every year. Don't give me sh*t that Portis rushed for over 1400 yards either. Really don't care. Every team knows how Portis runs. He is not going to win a foot race with anyone. Need a fresh start at RB and OL.

Posted by: TheJury | October 1, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Dungy and Harrison are both right, with Dungy being a little more spot on.

The organization made the decision to move up and draft him. Yeah, Gibbs had a lot to do with that, but no one's telling me that Cerrato and Snyder didn't have anything to do with it.

As far as Dungy coming back, I think Dungy isn't ever coming back. He retired for good.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Peter King's Prediction for this weekend:

Jim Zorn walks into FedEx Field on Sunday morning. Turns to his trusted PR man, Zack Bolno. "Funny thing happened the other night,'' Zorn says. "You know I live out in the country a little bit, and I woke up about 2 in the morning to what sounded like howling outside. I went to the front door, and there was, oh, I don't know, maybe 10 or 12 wolves. Just howling. Right on the doorstep. I shooed them away, but it was, well, just weird. Zack, tell me something: What do you make of that?''

Prediction: Washington Redskins 30, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 12

Posted by: mpge9us | October 1, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see a mix of Portis and Aldridge.

More Aldridge than Portis at this point. The O Line has not been a TOTAL disaster as originally thought, but when youre history is predicated on smash-mouth football, an OK line won't get it done.

As far as the O lIne goes...

they aint the prettiest girl at the dance, but at least they are dancing

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Can we trade Ladell Betts now for a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

Why would we not demand multiple first round picks?? Package Betts and Mason, to Minnesota for Peterson, Harvin, Loadholt, and Hutchinson, as well as a first.....Championship....heck, pft is practically reporting this shortly....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...he even went so far as to tell some media outlet that he didn't miss football on the opening Sunday of the season, that he liked what he was doing now...not saying that he won't miss it later, but he said he's done and he seems like a man of his word...

Posted by: mattylight | October 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

My..... GAWDDDDDDDDDD!

Another "trade Betts for a..." proposal?

Please understand that you will get "no nothin'" when trying to trade Ladell Betts.

He has ZERO value as a 30 year old running back. None.

Plenty of teams will sign him, but NO ONE is trading for him.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

4thfloor

"That's why I am tempering my 'on the bus' with the Orakpo pick."

Rey Maualga is outplaying B Orakpo right now.
Why?

They gave him one job: just do what you did in college: play slb.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

As for Dungy and Rodney, I'll listen to Dungy's take 12 times out of 10.

Rodney is a blow hard. He's got a good presence, but he's up there to throw flames. As far as the network is concerned, its not whether Harrison gets it right or wrong. He is getting paid to stir things up. And, as I pointed out earlier, how much of the game does Rodney actually see? Maybe 10 plays.

As for Dungy, he was a top DC in Tampa and obviously coached future HOFers like Peyton and Harrison in Indy. I think he understands the game extremely well, and that he sees systemic issues carries some weight. Many of us long time Skins fans would agree with Dungy on that point. Just as important, he has trouble blaming Campbell. I'm guessing Dungy sees Campbell and realizes he isn't a disaster, the stats merely back that up.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 1, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Exactly Red, exactly.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 1, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Dungy is just one of those guys who is on a permanent xanax. Nothing seems to rattle the dude. Not to be funny, but even the death of his son.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

They're both right. QB's gotta go, Organization needs correcting. There's no vision on what to build.

Go CAPS!!!

Posted by: DCV1 | October 1, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Red, its his Faith that keeps him grounded.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Seconded. You don't retire from an elite team you built with your own sweat, and then come back to a crappy project like the Skins. He's retired forever, book it.

Posted by: REXskins | October 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Red, have you read his book? I think it's called "Quiet Strength" -- I liked it...and yeah he seems to have a Gibbs like calm about him...

Posted by: mattylight | October 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Dungy is corrcect. Rodney Harrison is a steroid abusing clown. JC isn't the problem.

Posted by: dcwun | October 1, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

The problem is execution? Who needs to be executed?

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Rey Maualga is outplaying B Orakpo right now."

Dwayne Bowe outplayed Calvin Johnson his rookie year. Fortunately, the draft doesn't just yield one-year results.

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they should just bench all of the starters for the first half or the whole game... doesn't matter anyway they never score in the first half. Then maybe, just maybe, the second team can score or score twice to let these rich @$$holes know that the team can go on with out you. The sad thing is they will be sitting on the bench thinking about how much money they have in the bank or over the person on the field in there spot. While continuing to feel and think that they are much better than a second team when technically they are not after, the team runs for more than 100 yds and scores over 20 points.

Sad but this is the problem, they need to be humbled if they are not already after last week. I EXPECT a BLOWOUT at the least on sunday, from these RICH @$$HOLES

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | October 1, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Stir the pot, Mike, stir the pot.

Dungy and Harrison can both be right, yknow?

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

And they also had a mediocre offensive line.

The redskin defense is down after being stellar for a few years.

So what.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

The thing you are missing is that the Steelers defense and special teams scored as many TDs as Big Ben threw. Holmes took a punt to the house against San Diego. The defense also recovered a fumble at the San Diego 23. Without those plays the Steelers lose. Troy Polamalu took one to the house against the Ravens and if the defense didn't pickoff Flacco 3 times they would have lost that game. Without James Harrison taking that INT to the house they lose the super bowl. The Cards were near the goal line. That was a 14 point swing right there. Big Ben also has about as many Turnovers as he has TDs. Of course nobody cares if you turn the ball over when you have the league's best defense. The point is that we put too much into our defense for it to be down. When you neglect the offensive line and skill positions while pumping money into the defense, it better dominate.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 1, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Tony Dungy is PSP?

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

He has ZERO value as a 30 year old running back. None.

Plenty of teams will sign him, but NO ONE is trading for him.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2009 2:07 PM

Then release him. His has ZERO value for the Skins also. I hate our running backs, Portis included. I wish he played as much as he talks.

Posted by: TheJury | October 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you can blame OSackPO for his performance at this point, can you?

If he's in the SAM, you have to expect more from that front 4. If he's on the DEnd consistently, he'll have better #'s, I'd bet.

Either way, I think you'll see him come from all over against the TBucs.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you can blame OSackPO for his performance at this point, can you?

Either way, I think you'll see him come from all over against the TBucs.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

1sackPO not 0sackPO

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | October 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Dungy has some wise words.

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Either way, I think you'll see him come from all over against the TBucs.

Posted by: DikShuttle
-------

Why?

Posted by: REXskins | October 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"Rey Maualga is outplaying B Orakpo right now."

that's cuz we somehow haven't figured out where to use Orakpo. It's a difficult coaching decision, but "we're improving" after the last loss. NOT

Posted by: pgugino | October 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Couple Christens Dallas Cowboys Stadium's New Bathroom Stalls (NSFW, because of the video)

Reminds me of those 2 Redskins women a couple years back in a stall.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

This is not a team. Its the same sort of circus Snyder attempted to create in 1999 when Norv was coach. Hiring everyone and sundry including a QB named Jeff George. Some of the choices that year were good ones and they still had a decent corp of real Redskins to build around. So, they did well. And that probably would have continued into another playoff appearance if Snyder hadn't "screwed the pooch" by firing Turner when the team was actually over .500!!!?

Except under Gibbs and 1 year post-Gibbs has this team been at .500 or above? The last 2 Norv years.

Snyder's problem is that he comports himself like a silly brain-dead fan instead of as the owner of a storied NFL franchise.

Posted by: periculum | October 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"Rey Maualga is outplaying B Orakpo right now."

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 2:18 PM

Comparing WRs and LBs production are apple and oranges.

1st round RBs and LBs usually contribute right away.

Tell me I'm wrong on this......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

In retrospect the Skins played a great game against the Giants. The Giants are clearly a far better team and the Skins hung in there.

Against St Louis and Detroit, not so much.

It's really inexcusable. I think the uproar is justifiable.

Clearly, we can stop the finger pointing, because as Dungy said, there are so many problems, it must be systemic.

And Sally Jenkin's article, while simplistic, has the same premise.

The good news is the only worse thing that can happen is that they loose to the Bucs. And if that happens, there is no where to go but up.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Pink PSP or Black PSP?!

Ibrahim Pck!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

As far as the O lIne goes...

they aint the prettiest girl at the dance, but at least they are dancing

Posted by: CheyenneWY

On the OL, we've run the ball 58 times this year (excluding carries by Campbell and Hunter Smith). Only 15 of those carries have been for 5 yards or more. 43 of our 58 runs have been for 4 yards or less.

Kevin Smith had 9 of 16 runs for 5 or more yards vs us on Sunday. Pretty clear who was winning the battle in the trenches.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

REX, 'cause Blocky is saying he's going to open it up (the whopSJK can, that is..) this weekend.

I realize it's an assumption, but I think BOrak's blitz count will go up.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

that's cuz we somehow haven't figured out where to use Orakpo.
Posted by: pgugino | October 1, 2009

This sort of typical, mind numbing opinion on this web site underscores the problem with Snyder. He might as well be a featured RI poster. Everyone on this damned web site thinks he is smarter than Greg Blache as well as Zorn. YOU'RE NOT PERIOD. And that is Snyder's problem.

Malauga stops the run. Orapko in college and now is not **YET** good at that. When he gets better at that and other things he may end up becoming a Suggs. Leave it be will ya?

Posted by: periculum | October 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

beep etc

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 1, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, Peri (I can't believe I'm saying that!..lol)

Snyder's arrogance is reflected through almost every aspect of this team. Except, oddly enough, from Stompy. I found his recent comments exactly what they should be.

It must be maddening to come from such an overacheiving squad to this dysfunctional mess.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Keep Orakpo @ DE permanantly.....

Posted by: 4thFloor |

Here’s the trouble with that. Having two relatively light pass rush ends would put the skins back to last year’s troubles. Teams will run AT Orakpo.

What might be more effective is use him more as a rushbacker on early downs, blitz him every other play or so. Let him feel out weaknesses in the offense, and learn his craft, seeing more and different pass block styles.

Part of the problem now is Des dont get to set guys up for future moves.

Orakpo is a hand in the dirt guy only on obvious passing downs, and on third down, Andre C is shafted from right DE to left DE.

An awful lot of sacks come from a player setting up a blocker with a repeated move then reversing it, ( a swim instead of a bullrush, a bullrush instead of a spin), beating him cleanly and sacking (or hurrying) the QB at critical moments.

Posted by: TheCork | October 1, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno1 - Tony Dungy is even saying the Redskins have an organizational problem. But there is no way Tony Dungy knows more about football than you; right Barno1?

BTW - Organizational means the entire organization, which starts at the very tippy top, as in the owner, Daniel Dysfunctional Synder.

Posted by: SkinsKen | October 1, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Comparing WRs and LBs production are apple and oranges.

1st round RBs and LBs usually contribute right away.

Tell me I'm wrong on this......

Posted by: 4thFloor"

Has Orakpo not contributed? He has a sack that forced a punt, and an unregistered QB pressure that forced an Eli INT.

And Orakpo isn't a strict LB. He's a LB/DE hybrid. And he has 6 tackles, a sack, and a pass defensed in his first three games.

In Demarcus Ware's first three games of his career, he had 9 tackles, a sack, and a pass defensed.

In Shawn Merriman's first three games of his career, he had 3 tackles, 0 sacks, and 0 passes defensed.

But we've already got guys suggesting Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga are better draft picks 3 games into their NFL careers....

Posted by: psps23 | October 1, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

former safety Rodney Harrison, also basically placed much of the blame for the Redskins' poor start on quarterback Jason Campbell.
"Well, I mean, there are many problems in dealing with the Washington Redskins. But the one problem in particular is definitely Jason Campbell, the quarterback," said Harrison. "I don't know what they see in this guy. To me, he's a backup quarterback that's been elevated to a starter. I mean, he's a guy that's unpredictable, he's inconsistent, and he's not a guy that defensive players look at and fear."
_____
Harrison is 100% correct... There is enough talent on this team to beat the Lions and the Rams by more than 2 points.. but not when your QB should be a backup. Campbell is now 3-8 his last 11 starts and 2 wins came with the Skins only scoring 9 and 10 points. Dungy's point about a lot of yards doesn't mean that much because JC threw them against the Lions, and most came when the Skins were down by 2 scores meaning the Lions were giving Campbell free yards to burn the clock. Excuse time is up.. Campbell should be benched and Collins should be given a shot.

Posted by: sovine08 | October 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

TWO RESPONSES ON SALLY JESSE JENKINS POSTS

All the negative energy man! Skins need to this thing around so they can shut people like her up. I don't think they will but a brother can always hope.

Posted by: jm220

If you’re really Sally Jenkins Brother, this blog is not the place to brag about it. If you mean you’re African-American, congratulations, but I don’t really care. But you don’t see me writing things like “yoicks” to let you know I’m white.

About negative energy. Like mud and Shti, it flows downhill. Snyder’s producing the bad energy, Jenkins is just passing it along.

---

Jenkins is always negative. I stop reading her writings.

Posted by JCNJCN

Logic question here. How do you know she is always negative if you no longer read her writings?

Posted by: TheCork | October 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

so much for dungy becoming the new coach

Posted by: royhperkins | October 1, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

redmv hit on the head with his Betts comment. Betts has absolutely no value in a trade. He is nothing but dead wood and it's time to prune the tree. Put Alridge in there, he could make a big difference with his gamebreaking speed. and Betts has his FUMBLING problems too. On that last play against the Lions, did anyone really expect him to do anything? It was a typical Betts run, legs churning like mad but getting absolutely no where. Time to pull the plug.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 1, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Tony Dungy gets it (it's about building a team, not a bunch of individual parts). Unfortunately, that insight makes him automatically ineligible to ever work for the Redskins.

Campbell is a strong-armed, slow delivery quarterback behind a mediocre offensive line. Similar to Mark Rypien who was great during the Superbowl year behind the best OL in the league, but pretty mediocre after that when the line went downhill.

If Campbell ends up on San Fran or Minn after he leaves the Redskins, teams that have the other pieces in place, all of the sudden he will play like a star, and Snyder/Vinny will wonder why he didn't play that well for the Skins.

And the problems don't end soon no matter what. Snyder/Vinny have way too much salary cap tied up in older players, like Portis, going forward.

Running backs in the NFL just do not age well, they take too much of a pounding.

Smart, well run teams like Indy, NE, Pitts know that you "buy" young and "rent" old when it comes to RBs. They never get in the position of having major future salary cap money tied up in RBs over age 28 or so.

But smart management and building a team is very different from "lets break bread together" recruiting and over paying for individual players.

If Snyder is really clueless to why the fans think he is a major part of the problem (as George Michael indicates as a FOD), then this situation is truly hopeless, and we all need to declare ourselves free agents and find a new team that is built to win (like Campbell will do after this season).

Posted by: hapster | October 1, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

blah, blah, redskins, blah, blah....

LETS GO CAPS!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | October 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Can we trade Ladell Betts now for a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 1, 2009 2:05 PM"

Beantown, you find the team that says yes to that trade straight up, IN WRITING, and I'll PERSONALLY drive Ladell out there in a rented HumVee, buy his meals AND pay for gas out of MY pocket.

In other words, no suckers that big are available. If we got a 6th it'd be a MIRACLE.

Now package him with either Carlos Rogers or Anthony Montgomery...better yet BOTH...PLUS Jason Campbell (or any three of the four), and we could probably get a low mileage QB (either one Brady or Anderson) from Cleveland for Zorn to coach up, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder for next year and a 2011 low rounder to boot.

But that's what it's going to take, and about all we'll get.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 1, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Can we legitimately criticize Jason Campbell? In many ways if Todd Collins were the starter, we'd be okay "criticizing" him - calling for his benching - saying that he is slow with reads and releases. But dare we say this about Jason Campbell? 'Nuff said.

The problem as I see it is that the Redskins are now experiencing the equalization of all their inherent flaws - a simultaneous meeting of everything wrong with them - a defense with enough showboats to wreck the discipline that is needed to make it work. Offense is led by a quarterback who is afraid of mistakes and yet makes too many. We have a running back who is allergic to preseason and practice yet supposedly is doing what he's supposed to be doing to play. We've got a coach whose toolbox has a straight slot screwdriver (a really large one), a very small philips head, and a 1/2 inch socket with no wrench. He tries real hard to use these tools but is alarmed that they can't be used all the time or even more than once in a game.

We have an owner who spends dollars like they are in endless supply, but doesn't stop to evaluate the potential return on the investment - instead of using a true business model for his "business" he feeds his ego as if stacks of dollar bills were elevator shoes to make him look like a big man.

In the end it is decision-making at quarterback, at coaching, and at management that is making the Redskins look like a Sloth in competition with Colts, Eagles, and Lions. You feel for the Sloth because it has a place in the world, but where on a football field?

Posted by: laserwizard | October 1, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Obe Wan Harrison would say the same or worse about Collins.

Talk about a backup who's been elevated to starter!

And Colt?

Fuhgedaboudit.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 1, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I find Harrison to be a boor on the show. I know he played but I watch the same games he does and quite honestly, I don't understand where he comes up with half of the nonsense he says. This is the latest installment of his blather as his comment on week one about Haynesworth was so far off the mark, I think Dungy was rather surprised by how stupid it was. Here is yet another. Campbell is completing 67% of his passes this year, has a rating of 92.5 and has basically no running game to speak of and a suspect O-Line. His right tackle rarely knows the snap count and he often has to dodge guys before throwing the ball. But, according to the genius Rodney Harrison, it's Campbell that is killing the team. Trust me, I have seen bad QB play over the years as the Bears have not had a legit QB in 30 plus years until this year. The Skins have had Shuler, Wuerfull, Matthews, Patrick Ramsey and Tony Banks. Those guys were terrible. Unless my eyes have been deceiving me, Campbell has nothing in common with them. Please, when it's the quarterback, you will know. It will be very obvious. The problem with the Skins is not Campbell.

Posted by: JWPinCHI | October 1, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

My two cents;

Snyder is not all that stupid as he knows or has atleast learned what the team requires to take that another step. This off season spending spree was basically A SET UP for Jason Campbell to fail so that Snyder can present a scenerio to release him. Had he upgraded the O-Line this off season, Campbell might have been on his way for a 20 touchdown 3500 yard season with possible playoff berth and THAT scenerio would not have suited Snyder because then he would not have any ground to release Campbell. Doing so, would have brought the wrath of local fans and the league. Not to mention Campbell is a very good player but an average quarterback.
A good quarterback is a leader, vocal and inspiring. He is none.

I have been a die hard Redskin fan for over 18 years. (Been in the country for 19). Back in 91, when my first encounter with the game of football was a glimpse of "A" game at a bar. (Redskins V Bills) and I said to myself what is this sport bunch of macho guys wearing helmets and hitting each other but where are the dirt bikes?

Those were the good ole days:)

Posted by: DesiHungama | October 1, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone want my take on the Skins???? Hey its Brian Mitchell. I would be happy to discuss and answer any questions you may have. Start emailing me at bmitch@comvl.com, and then tomorrow at 12noon (est. time) dial 712-432-8220 show ID 5154...the call is FREE and I will answer your questions and even discuss my thoughts on the upcoming game with Tampa Bay on Sunday. Talk to you tomorrow.

Posted by: brianmitchell | October 1, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Rodney harrison was an overrated player who by the way was suspended for roids and is a horrible person for t.v. He was also a dirty player. As far as this goes he continues to show how dumb he really is. JC is not the problem with the team and the look dungy gave him when he said it told me all I needed to know. Maybe the roids are eating his brain? Please stop with the squad for Todd nonsense. I say we let jc call the plays since the team moves the ball when he can call the plays or check out of one of zorn's 4 plays (bubble screen, run left, draw, cooley on a out)

Posted by: bza48842002 | October 1, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Please stop with the "hire Dungy". We dont need another soft players coach. We need a kick-in-the-ass, no-nonsense Head Coach. Someone like Cowher, or Shanahann.

Either way, atleast you can see that Harrison is watching the games and recognizes that Campbell is the main offensive problem. And you can also see that Dungy is NOT watching the games when he makes a statement like "He passed for 340 yrds".

I guess Dungy doesn't realize that most of those yards were during garbage time against the prevent defense.

Posted by: Redskin_in_miami | October 1, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Ok, look Redskins player's we understand you don't really care if you win or lose. Otherwise we would be reading about how long these guy's stay after practice everyday to improve and right the ship. Coach you don't trust your QB at all, and you lost the team in Pittsburg last year. Don't blame the Owner, because whoever is on the field including coaches are the one's playing the game. If I put together the greatest musicians of all time you would get a great show I'm pretty sure of it. Players need to stop clubbing and get their minds in the game practice study and study some more.

Posted by: viciousvillan | October 2, 2009 2:03 AM | Report abuse

The sad thing is I'm in Iraq, and all I do is talk great things about my favorite team. Sometime I'am able to watch a game, but two weeks ago there were no highlights or mention of my favorite team. Last week only bad news. I'm still a fan, and will endure all of the hecklers, but you guys have to give me ammunition. It has gotten so bad that I can't even say the name of my favorite team anymore or I'll get rediculed for being a fan. Please help stop the bleeding. QB audible out of a bad play waiting to happen please, and if they sit you down you tried.

Posted by: viciousvillan | October 2, 2009 2:12 AM | Report abuse

hey vicious, thankyou for your service to country and loyalty to the skins. Hang in there fella, things are going to turn positive in a big way this week so long as Reed Doughty does not hurt us by starting. I am a firm believer that he is too slow, however he is has looked good for the first time this year. I think the offense will really open up this week so we can finally blow someone out. We have a rather soft schedule so this gives us time to get the kinks out and for Zorn to wear his 2 hats as OC and HC. Problem is he tries to be the QB coach as well, and that probably is his greatest strength. Look for the D to put mad pressure on the young TB QB and force some turnovers. It is high time we get postured for our rightful place as a playoff team. HAIL SKINS!

Posted by: jenksredskins | October 2, 2009 2:40 AM | Report abuse

I think Dungy hit it on the head.

No Confidence in the Owner, GM, Coach, random players with no cohesion - its a top to bottom problem.

What does that mean on the field?

You think Jason Campbell has the confidence in Malcom Kelly to throw to space on a timing pattern "knowing" he'll be there like he should be.

You think there's confidence throwing an end-zone fade.

You think there's enough confidence in man coverage to blitz full on.

You think there's enough confidence in the O-line to let Portis improvise.

.... it's not an easy thing to fix.

Posted by: mac2j | October 2, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

POOR PLAY CALLING IS THE PROBLEM NOT EXECUTION !!! THIS GOES FOR PLAY CALLING ON OFFENSE AND DEFFENSE !!!!

If Zorn and Blache called the best plays formations and schemes for the down and distance or game time situation we would have more success !!

This is the problem when it is time for our coaches to make game changing decisions they make the wrong ones !!!

Posted by: LETJASONPASS | October 2, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JWPinCHI
_____
Yes he does and it's the only thing that really matters... win loss record. Also notice NONE of these guys lead the Skins into the playoffs...

Posted by: sovine08 | October 2, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Dungy is exactly right. The team is dysfunctional and that brat Snyder is to blame. Can you fire an owner?

Posted by: nadeemsx | October 2, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse