Suisham Gets the Nod -- or Does He?

During my guest appearance Thursday on Vinny Cerrato's radio show, " Inside the Red Zone," Cerrato asked for my opinion about the competition between kickers Shaun Suisham and Dave Rayner. I should have asked for his opinion, considering he gets paid to assemble the Redskins' roster.

But, anyway, I said I thought Suisham would win the job. Of all the team's position battles, the kicking competition is the one I have the least feel for in terms of where things stand after the first two preseason games.

The Redskins have attempted only one field goal (Suisham connected from 20 yards in the first quarter against Pittsburgh). I guess the kickoffs have been fairly even, at least from what I've gleaned while quickly glancing at the field as I write game stories.

The familiarity factor was my main reason for giving the nod to Suisham. I know Suisham slumped in 2008 after a strong season in 2007, but the Redskins know the guy is capable of performing under pressure. That's not a knock on Rayner, who had a big season for the Green Bay Packers in 2006, it's just that there's history with the Redskins and Suisham.

Of course, special teams coach Danny Smith could views things completely differently. Now that I think about it, I'm curious to see if I'm right.

By Jason Reid  |  August 28, 2009; 6:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell's Goals Against the Patriots
Next: Campbell Says He's Ready for Patriots' Test

Comments

FIRST . . .the kicking game is definitely the skins most glaring weakness

Posted by: jpt1002 | August 28, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Kicking game? Agree to disagree. I would have said play calling.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

JReid,

I have to disagree with one thing you mentioned.

Even if the FG kicking is dead equal, Suisham has been leaving kickoffs way short for the past few seasons. I can't remember the last time I saw him put one in the endzone, and he certainly doesn't do it consistently.

From the few kickoffs Rayner has had in the preseason it looks like he can bomb it a little bit more - all of them have been to the goal line or deeper.

If the FG kicking is a wash, I would take Rayner. If Suisham ends up staying, imagine the groan from the collective fan base when he shanks a 41 yard field goal after what Zorn and Campbell think is a "productive drive"

Posted by: abtassler | August 28, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Good morning! I think the Redskins signed Rayner to keep Suisham from taking the job for granted. Makes perfect sense given that slump last season.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Obviously the theme is: "Shape up or ship out!".

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Obviously the theme is: "Shape up or ship out!".

Or else, "I'm a little teapot, short and stout."
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 28, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Skins should have cut Suisham outright and brought in two new kickers. He was a f'n disaster last year! Don't give me that new holder excuse.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 28, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

1. Stay Healthy, no injuries.

2. Score some points, offensive productivity, JC gets his work in, connects with Moss, etc.

3. Sack/Pressure on Brady, get some turnovers, apply duress on TB...

Thats what I hope gets accomplished tonight....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 28, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Also...I think J. Reid is too close with Skin's Management/Ownership to be considered an objective reporter.

I'm not saying he's Larry Michael, but he's far from an unbiased source of information.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 28, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Receiver Roy Williams injured his left shoulder on a goal-line collision with cornerback Orlando Scandrick. Williams was down for longer than normal, then was examined by athletic trainers and shouted in anger as he headed into the locker room before the workout ended.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 28, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

1. Stay Healthy, no injuries.

3. Sack/Pressure on Brady, get some turnovers, apply duress on TB...

Thats what I hope gets accomplished tonight....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 28, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse
I concur, Beantown. Let's add special team goals...improve coverage when kicking and punting, get some positive returns, good blocking.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 28, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Ooooo, Roy Williams shouted in anger...

I'm scared of him.

Sort of like when you hit your knee on an object and you out frustration hit the object you struck your knee on...

As the great Bernie Mac would say: "Motherf*****, for wha-t?"

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Bean--I'm not believing that until you post the video.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

te, video was copyrighted by PFT....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 28, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey, this is like a mini game day.

Can't wait for the kickoff!

Posted by: farstriker | August 28, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Never understate the value of a top kicker.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 28, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

zis thing on?.......

hellooo.....

Mike Florio of PFT is reporting there haven't been many comments this morning on the WP's Redskins Insider....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 28, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else braving the *possible* storms this evening?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

1. Stay Healthy, no injuries.

3. Sack/Pressure on Brady, get some turnovers, apply duress on TB...

Thats what I hope gets accomplished tonight....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 28, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I hope this happens all season long!

Posted by: p1funk | August 28, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I expect Shawn Springs giving Tom Brady the insider info on Redskins secondary weakness. Should be interesting to see with Haynesworth and Orakpo out there.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone catch the video of Brandon Marshall looking like a complete jackass during practice drills?

I'm all for "making a point", even if sometimes you're cutting the nose off to spite the face, but this guy should really take a cue from Anquan Boldin and just STFU and play.

I'm starting to believe they're calling this guy "baby T.O." for a reason.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 28, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

RE: Roy (should we pronounce it 'whah' like Fraunch Canadiense?) Wiyyans - Awesmoe!! another Glass CowPatty!! Let Durdy Thudry smack him into tomorrow.

And somehow I still consider Suisham a cowpatty. Please help me either confirm or dispel this contention!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 28, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 9:10 AM

When he was here the weakness was that he was usually on the sideline in a Fine suit. Not sure how that info will help Brady.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 28, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 28, 2009 9:10 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator

We don't have a very complex defense. A lot of man coverage and some zone work too. Shawn won't have anything to say that Brady can't already break down from film study. That's not going to be the problem for him. What will? My new best friends, Fat Albert and Brakpo.

Posted by: pgugino | August 28, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 28, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

I'm buying the holder excuse a bit, even if it's just mental. Getting the ball from the spot to the foot takes some doing. So if you think Suisham was fairly accurate around 35 yards before, and that he was the first to pretend to be accurate since John Hall (who was the first since, what, Haji-Sheik?), Hunter is enough to give Swishy another shot.

Or perhaps you want to bring feel-good Novak back?

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 28, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 28, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 28, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

He's been wearing maroon and black for several years. That's good enough for me.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 28, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | August 28, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

My only concern is that Brady will just throw jumpers to Randy any time he gets in trouble and who do we have that can defend that? Los is out so that leaves smoot and Deangelo. I don't think either of them are capable of playing tight man on moss. I guess we can try some zone coverage and hope dirty 30 gets a chance to knock Randy's block off. It's going to be a mismatch all night. I just hope the offense can score some points tonight so we don't get embarassed. I would not be surprised if Brady throws 2 or 3 TDs.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 28, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 28, 2009 9:27 AM |
==============================

His kickoffs have been way too short, and we've been burned by more than a few of those.

Can't blame that on the holder.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 28, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

But of course you gave a reponse b/c he asked instead of answering with," You get paid to make those decisions not me, right...." And then you're personna non gratia in the owners box.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 28, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Suisham's your basic NFL reliable FG specialist. If the past is any guide, he's going to be 100% under 30 yards, 80% between 30 and 40, and around 70% above 40. He may hit one of 50 yards during the year, but that's about it. He'll rarely be blocked. His KOs will usually not make it to the end zone, except possibly indoors. His overall FG percentage for the season will be higher than 2008 -- maybe 77% instead of 72.

He's the Rock Cartwright of FG kickers. Consistent, hard-working, reliable, and ultimately not a star.

Given the Skins problems with TDs and their relative success with moving the ball and getting first downs, you'd think it would be worth the effort to find somebody who was more effective from 40 yards out. But maybe there aren't that many to be had.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 28, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I like JReid - but saying Swishy can kick under pressure is like saying Santa's gonna come down your chimney on the 4th of July. Remember that Seattle playoff game?

Posted by: littlejohn6971 | August 28, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse