Expect Corners to Get Closer to Receivers

While watching the season opener from the press box last week, I was struck by the cushion the Redskins' cornerbacks gave the Giants' wide receivers.

The press box at Giants Stadium is high above the field, providing an excellent vantage point to view things with binoculars. DeAngelo Hall, Fred Smoot and Carlos Rogers often were way off the ball before the snap.

I understand corners cannot play press-man coverage on every down. And there are some plays on which cornerbacks have to provide a big cushion, especially when they don't have much or any safety help deep because of blitzes.

Still, though, these guys were playing way off at times. The cushion provided was among the factors that contributed to the Giants' early success on third down. That cannot continue. Coach Jim Zorn apparently agrees, and he plans to have secondary coach Jerry Gray make some changes.

"We gave a little too much cushion in the secondary," Zorn said. "We needed to get closer, ride closer to those receivers and make plays. When we did, we proved we could knock the ball down. We proved we could slip inside and potentially get an interception.

"When we didn't, it just seemed too easy. When the protection was there, it was easy. Those are the things that we will learn. Jerry is a great coach. I think our guys really listen well. We will continue to get closer and closer to those receivers."

By Jason Reid  |  September 16, 2009; 6:49 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Add Tackle to Practice Squad
Next: Redskins Podcast: The Home Opener

Comments

FIRST to say it sucks that this is even an issue.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Now lets see if Avery and Robinson burn us deep. If we don't hold the Rams to 10 points or less, we got a problem.

Posted by: FedorEm | September 16, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Uhhh, this has been an issue for like 3 years.

Posted by: Gweez | September 16, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Clearly Dan Snyder is too cheap to provide observation towers at Redskin Park so this "cushion" went unnoticed through 2 months of training camp and preseaseon and four preseason games.

Also clearly the Redskins place no defensive coaches up in the skyboxes during games to notice this "cushion." And said coaches have no communication devices linked to the sideline in which they can communicate during a three hour game.

Posted by: LMichael1 | September 16, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Or my wife's question: "Why does Clinton Portis just run straight into the pile of guys standing in front of him?"

Why indeed...

Posted by: p1funk | September 15, 2009 10:23 PM |

p1,

I got this question as well, to which I replied is dinner ready yet and can you get me another bottle of Southern Comfort.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

How many years did it take for them to figure this out?

Posted by: bigfish761 | September 16, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I know the corners have always played off at the line of scrimmage but DeAngelo wasn't even close to the reciever after the play started, or after his man caught the ball! Worst player on the field last sunday. Sure hoping he can make up for it this week. I also know Jacobs is an enormous man, but his attempt at a tackle when Jacobs got the corner on a long run for a 1st down was embarrassing. DeAngelo prove me wrong and show that you were worth the money!

Posted by: daniel_estepp | September 16, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Why are they talking about defense when it was the offense that let them down in the last game? Has Zorn goofed up the offense so much that he is now looking at how he can goof up the defense?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 16, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

They have been using that same coverage for years, it's why they always have problems getting off the field on 3rd down.

Reid don't act like this is new.

Last year they played Landry so far back he was watching the game from the stands.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

There is no question he goofed up the offense. However, the corners were giving the wide outs way too much room and I said that Sunday during the game.

Posted by: jm220 | September 16, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:19 AM

Damn, Flouder...hitting the SoCo already? The Skins usually don't drive me to drinking until Week 9!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 7:37 AM |

brown,

Thats my drink of choice, the Skins just make me drink more of it.

It's either that or throw the remote threw the TV.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead

If you want to get real cynical, this is just another example of Zorn refusing to take responsibility for the team's offensive failures. We had the #4 ranked D last year without Zorn's meddling, and we all know the main problem here is his offense's inability to sustain drives and score points. He has NEVER blamed his own playcalling or scheme for the offense's woes, yet he's going out of his way to call out Gray on secondary coverage.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 16, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Thats my drink of choice, the Skins just make me drink more of it.

It's either that or throw the remote threw the TV.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:39 AM

Can't argue that.

That's why I get Madden every year. It's the only place the Redskins win ALL the time and the only place you can feel better after a tough loss. I crushed the Giants 52-0 after the Sunday loss and felt surprisingly better.

Very therapeutic. You should give it a shot. A one time payment of 60 bucks for the game vs. 60 bucks per night at the bar for 8-10 weeks. It's a win-win.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

ken,

Agreed with Zorn needing to put some blame on himself and the offense.

It doesn't matter who Zorn blames, because Snyder will blame Zorn and he will be gone if things don't improve.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

brown,

I love Madden, my favorite thing is Franchise mode where I can build my own Redskins team.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

I have a funny feeling that next year will see some big changes with this team. I think for Snyder to get a high profile coach, Vinny is going to have to be fired.

The coach will either be the new GM, or if it's Cowher he had a GM guy that works in Pittsburgh he will bring in.

Add all that to an uncapped year and look out M_F'ers SB here we come.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Add all that to an uncapped year and look out M_F'ers SB here we come.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:58 AM

If that's the way to get Vinny outta here, I'm all for it. Although I still see no way Cowher works for Snyder...

And yeah, Franchise Mode is my favorite. They finally added Russ Grimm to the game, so you know my first order of business is to fire Zorn, hire Grimm and hope the Chargers tank '09 so I can scoop up Norv as O-coordinator.

Championship!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Well, there's already talk of a lock-out, so I'm not sure we'll see the mythical unicorn called the uncapped season...

And Vinny has been the constant (other than .. the Danny) in all the crappy seasons since The Danny took over. What makes you think they'll part ways? They're thick as thieves.. fitting, eh? Stealin' our team like that..

And finally, on the cushion: Gee, bad coarching decisions? Didn't see that at all... [sarcasm just dripped down my shirt]

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 16, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

From the previous thread regarding Quick Kicks: QKs can be done on any down; Randall Cunningham was actually quite good at it and used it about 10x in his career (never against the Redskins) - usually on 3rd and long; the Eagles had some plays where QK was an option if coverage dictated and his receivers had to be prepared to down the ball; more than once, the nearest defenders did not realize the ball had been QKed and the receivers literally walked to the ball and downed it (which allowed precious seconds to be burned off the clock as defenders celebrated an incomplete pass).

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 16, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

dik,

The uncapped season would be next year, there can not be a lockout until 2011.

On Vinny, Snyder wants to win and if that means firing Vinny to get the coach he wants he would do it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm not writing this season off quite yet guys but I don't think Zorn will do enough to keep his job this year. As infuriating as Zorn's play calling is, being conservative may win him enough games against weaker teams to make it close at the end of the season. Unfortunately, I don't think this coach can beat any of the division rivals and you cannot reach the playoffs without a few of those wins.

Look for Zorn to be super conservative next week against the Rams. Running the ball will be the focus of the day and the Rams will stack the line of scrimmage to stop CP, but they couldn't slow the Seahawks running game last week giving up 160 yards.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 16, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Hugh, that's the 2nd best sign-on I've seen this week. The first, you ask?

"My futon pulls out, but I don't."

Seriously. I laugh every time.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Where is the concern about the running game... or lack of...
the defense only allowed 16 points, despite being on the field all day. most teams with an offense, or a running game, would have won that game, we would've, except for the Campbell statue of liberty play. any team with good defensr needs to run the ball, control the game...

Posted by: aintlifegrand | September 16, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

why can't they play press coverage on every down?? Help me understand why this can't happen?? Don't give me the over the top coverage issue either, because we're not talking about Randy Moss and Andre Johnson, that the giants lined up. Also, isn't coming to this conclusion 3 days after the game a little ridiculous?? This REEKS, of poor game planning...and no in game adjustments. Blache and Zorn, better get their 'stuff' right, and QUICKLY...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately as Skins fans we have long memories of corners who could cover and tackle if not catch. DG had a ton of tackles behind the line of scrimmage, especially in the last 5 years of his career. Pat Fischer was a mean SOB. Vernon Dean as a rookie was phenomenal in coverage and a great hitter. Later in his career he led the league in interceptions. Barry Wilburn led the league in interceptions as well starting across from DG (remember the 100 yd int return?). ahh but that was years ago when Bush I was still president and we actually won a war in Iraq.

Now look at the DS era - Champ was the complete package and then some and got traded for CP. Shaun Springs was a premier corner (albeit oft-injuredand aging) and was released for cap money. Smoot I and Smoot II are just shy of being an NFL caliber starter (Smoot I got beat often). DeHall has made interceptions - lets give him props for that - but seems to lack in coverage execution and defintiely lacks in tackling. Deion the aged never did tackle. Rogers seems to be a good cover corner but can't catch but can tackle. Not sure that he is a shut-down corner ala Green, Sanders or Springs but he is the best of our lot.

Barnes is likely our best bet to emerge as a quality corner.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | September 16, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

If there's an uncapped year, the best part about it would be that teams can cut underperforming players with impunity and take no cap hit. There will be a league-wide fire sale on overpaid imposters.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 16, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

What is the purpose of having cover corners if they are coached to NOT cover?

I never understood the strategy of CBs lining up 10 yards off of the LOS.

Maybe the thinking is "I'd rather give up a 10 yard reception and make the tackle, than get burned deep"?

And if I'm the offense, I'd think - "Great, let's take the 10 yards all the way down the field!".

Posted by: p1funk | September 16, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 16, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Which means Redskins would flood the market like govt-subsidized corn from Iowa...

Posted by: p1funk | September 16, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

whatever gweez and bigfish said...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 16, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

What? Learning from our mistakes? I'll believe it when I see it...

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 16, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Come on ZORN, the CB's didn't make the play on the interception the FS did. So don't come on with "...we proved we could slip inside and potentially get an interception..." The corner play sucked all day. These CB's without SHAWN SPRINGS just don't have it.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 16, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

p1, agreed, I never got that either, so they have 10 yards to get up to speed, meanwhile our CB is standing flat footed...that doesn't make sense...

Blache/Zorn need to take the training wheels off, attack on both sides of the ball. This bend but don't break stuff, put it away, time to BREAK, but do it to the other team. If Rogers/Hall need a 10 yard cushion, then they need to sit, until they can learn their position.

I'm partially done being patient with this team....throw the ball, sack the qb, make it happen.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

He didn't do it for Gibbs, why would he do it for anyone else?.. aside from logic..which we all know doesn't apply...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 16, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

"If Rogers/Hall need a 10 yard cushion, then they need to sit, until they can learn their position."

I wouldn't throw Rogers in with Hall. Hall was pathetic, as was Smoot. Los is the best corner we have...just needs to grow some hands.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 16, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

That kinda sounds like what they do in the CFL. Don't receivers in the CFL get a running start behind the line of scrimmage? Maybe our cover scheme is called the Canadian-2.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 16, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I noticed this as well. I remember one play well. It was about a 3 and 7 or 8, and the CB was about 10-12 yards off the receiver. That's plenty of space to run a little comeback route and catch it for the first down. That's just mind boggling.

Posted by: cecathcart3 | September 16, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

ds, I'd rather have the 10th ranked defense, and get 40 sacks, and 20 picks, than the 4th, with 20 sacks, and 10 picks....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 16, 2009 8:50 AM |

It was Gibbs choice not to fire Vinny he had the authority.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Why does Portis run into a pile of men in front of him?

Because he is not in football shape. Being in football shape will tell your brain and your body to find the hole, make the first guy miss, and make a fifty yard rather than a 20-yard run because your butt is in shape from football practice.

At the rate he is going he will not be in tip football shape for at least three more games if then.

The D-backs are not in football shape either.

Oh, but I am so disingenuous, our schemes are so good, we don't have to worry about football shape.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 16, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

If you say so...

I'm not sure who had the authority there, even though it was much publicized that JG was 'the man'.

I hear what you're saying and your logic is solid. I've just never seen Danny go against Vinny. Ever. And if he does get moved out of player acquisition, I would bet he's still in the FO mcukin around...

And Beaner, I'd rather have a successful season than have highly ranked anything.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 16, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I think attack is the key word. I never got the sense we were going after giants & knocking them back on their heels whether on offense or defense. We played tentatively. That won't cut it long.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Get the CB's in the face of the receivers, put Orakpo off the outside of the DE give him a free lane, and have him go after the qb, don't play Landry 30 yards off the LOS. Pressure, FORCE the other team to make split second decisions, make them start THINKING instead of reacting. The T can either block the DE or Orakpo, either way, one of them is getting free, I don't know, it just seems like it shouldn't be this hard.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

In the offseason I stuck up for Zorn/JC17.

After the G game, I was pretty critical of JC17.

The more I think about it, though, the more I am seeing that the problem is Zorn.

He is a QB coach, and it was total buffoonery for Snerrato to elevate him to a head coach. He is in way over his head when it comes to scheming/game-planning/play-calling.

Funny thing is I think he's done an decent job developing JC17 into a QB that - when set up with the right plays/players - can be successful. The problem is that Zorn himself does NOT know how to set JC up with the right plays/players.

...kind of like a guy who is a good engine mechanic that gets tapped to be a driver in a NASCAR event.

Zorn is a good teacher for a QB, but he's just not a head coach.

Posted by: p1funk | September 16, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Did Zorn just begin watching tape of the defense. Our DBs have infamously provided 8 to 12 yards of cushion over the last couple of years.

Posted by: skindiddy | September 16, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

larry, please stop with that....just galactically stupid...until you have evidence that these guys are not in football shape, you just sound unintelligent....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 16, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

.... And we will sign them all!!!!

Posted by: Deadfish | September 16, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I never understood why the Skins corners don't take advantage of the 5-yard bump rule and just stand 5 yards off the line and hit the WR's within that cushion. They could still play safeties deep in case a team has a real burner at WR. This wouldn't even have to be done on every play, just enough to keep the offense honest.

Posted by: torqued21 | September 16, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning Hamsters....

Question of the day is the offensive inability to FINISH drives due too

A. Campbells inability to execute the plays Zorn is calling

or..

B. The fact that Zorn is being overly cautious and needs to realize this team is wasting some serious talent?

P.S. option B could also be because Zorn doesnt trust Campbell to do anymore then we have seen thus far...

What say you?

Posted by: BenchCampbell | September 16, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 8:48 AM

Nice...yet you got on me last week for being Debbie Downer because I saw the whole thing coming.

I get it:

Brownwood = sky is falling BEFORE Skins lose

Beantown = sky is falling AFTER Skins lose

Sweet. Now we're up to date.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

When I watched the game even my wife, a Hokie fan, had to excoriate MeAngelo for his play. When she tried to later defend him, asking why Rogers' name wasn't even being mentioned during pass downs, I replied that not hearing a CB's name usually means he's locked down his man and the QB isn't throwing his way. In hindsight, I honestly think the Giants were going after Hall in man coverage, and for good reason. Even Hall admitted that he was actually out of position when he got the interception--his one positive in that game.
Was it me or did anyone else think Blache was avoiding blitzes on those 3rd and longs? It seemed like the entire 1st half the Skins were uber-conservative. WTF. I'm no defensive genius but when you've got Orakpo you put him on the end and let him GO. I'm tired of the "undersized" excuse. There are plenty of similar sized DEs who defend the run just fine, including the team we just played. For the love of god let's get a consistent pass rush.

Posted by: pgugino | September 16, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood = sky is falling BEFORE Skins lose

Beantown = sky is falling AFTER Skins lose

Sweet. Now we're up to date.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 9:16 AM

We're still missing sky is falling WHILE Skins lose.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

We're not going to see much difference in the defense against the Rams. With the Giants, the Redskins defense filled the box with eight guys leaving the defensive backs in soft zones. Yes, they were way off the line of scrimmage, but that is the defense. The team focused on stopping the run, and they were, in the most part, effective. The Rams showed they want to put their offense on S. Jackson's shoulders so plan on the Redskins filling the box again, daring them to run.

Why should we care? I said it before and will say it again, "the defense didn't lose the game for the Redskins". The offense coughed the ball up twice and basically gave up a quarter's worth of possession time. If you want a better defense, have the offense sustain some drives. Yes, the defense looked a little rusty, but they were effective.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 16, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I swear to God this exact blog was posted last season. Seems like our corners (and defensive coaches) are scared of giving up the big bomb. So we get death by a thousand little cuts. Giving a WR a 6-yard cushion on 3rd-and-5 is ridiculous.

Posted by: tundey | September 16, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

"Expect Corners to Get Closer to Receivers"

Finally!

Thank. YOU!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 16, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Ground Hog Day

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 16, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

What say you?
Posted by: BenchCampbell | September 16, Answering a QB question from you makes as much sense as asking Glenn Beck if he and Barack are going clubbing Friday night. Or asking Kanye about etiquette. Just pointless. Maybe you should just ask about defense. Just don't change your name to BenchLondon.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

To be clear, my grouse with Orakpo at OLB is this: he's a pass rushing DE, that's his strength, and that's why we drafted him. Put him on the end on ALL plays. With Blache's system he'll be in coverage more than pass rushing, which I honestly think is a misallocation of talent.

Posted by: pgugino | September 16, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I watched the 1st quarter of the Rams-Seahawks game yesterday. In the Seahawks first 3 possessions, the Rams should have had 3 turnovers. They got 2. Granted the Rams offense is weak at this point, particularly their tackles, but ball security for the Skins is going to major in this game.

Posted by: TWISI | September 16, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

yeah brown thats the thing, I'm actually willing to give the team a chance...after the progress that I saw in the preseason, I wasn't expecting them to come out and crap the bed like they did, you just gave up on them period...see the difference...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Agree with you RedSkinHead while the defense wasnt Stellar they put up a good effort... Aside from giving up way 2 much cushion. They contained the run and had a couple nice stops in the redzone.

As far as the Offense is concerned it was more of the same. "Deja Vu all over again".
You can break down the plays saying it was a different mix of run and pass blah blah blah. The offense was still inept and could not finish a drive. Anyone that thinks Vinny is going anywhere is kidding themselves... I was sitting there Sunday thinking well Dan Snyder is a little older than me so our football lives are tied together. quite depressing really

Posted by: BenchCampbell | September 16, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | September 16, 2009 9:24 AM

Actually that's not why we drafted him. They drafted him with every intention of making him an OLB. But I agree, we are misusing him. The problem is we don't have very many better options. I say put HB Blades back at the position and Chris Wilson and ride out.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I find it amazing. The opinions I expressed about Zorn, which were attacked, are now starting to make sense to some of you two days later. Zorn is good at teaching a QB mechanics - how to throw, how to avoid the rush, how to step up, etc. He is horrific at everything else. He may be an offensive genius with his system, but he absolutely sucks as a HC because he isn't good at motivating his players, keeping morale, and putting his team in a position to succeed. Period.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 16, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:25 AM

And now you see why I do what I do...

If you expect them to crap the bed and they do, you're prepared for it. Doesn't hurt as much.

I'll be writing a book called, "How To Cope With Rooting For a Losing Team". Please buy my product.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

TWISI,
I agree that ball security could be a big part of the game. No one is talking about the Cooley fumble that rolled out of bounds or the second one that was reversed. Cooley has had fumble-itis before and it looks like this is still a concern. Campbell has also had fumble-itis in the past, and if he is going to do silly things like not step into the pocket, there will be more issues.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 16, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I think the Skins overall have an attitude issue and that comes from the top - the coaches.

Corners play "soft". When the last time you remember a Skins CB laying a good lick on a WR? Or coming up fast and hard and stopping a sweep? Or really playing tight on slants? It's all about "not giving up the big play." But that leads to lots of easy short plays and long time-consuming drives by the opposition. Eventually that tires the entire "D" out and then the other team can run out the clock, too. G. Blanche's scheme is to blame.

The Skins also seem never to fool anyone (this weekend's fake FG is a fantastic exception). This is true on both sides of the ball. Never catch teams by surprise with any of the blitz packages. Every "D" seems to know exactly what plays are coming from the Offense. In the Red Zone, this is really a problem. Typical sequence of Red Zone plays: First down -Portis runs left for no gain. Second down - Zorn calls either a screen or quick pass out to the flat. Best result is a short gain. Third down - blitz rattles Campbell, Incompletion. Here comes the FG team.

It's pitiful.

Posted by: dlenehan | September 16, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 16, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I did not attack you.

And ultimately, I blame the buffons who put Zorn in his position.

I'm not gonna hate on Zorn for taking the promotion and the cash.

The idiots who ran the 3-ring circus that resulted in him becoming HC are to blame.

It's not even that I think Zorn could NEVER be a fine O-coordinator or head coach. But he needs teaching/training himself in the position. It would have been good for him to mentor under a veteran head coach.

I know he was a QB coach under Holmgren, but sitting in the meetings while the coordinators hash out the plan and standing on the sidelines while they make the calls is NOT the same thing as mentoring.

Posted by: p1funk | September 16, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

TWISI,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 16, 2009 9:32 AM |

No one is talking about the Cooley fumble because it wasn't a fumble. His knee and butt were clearly down before the ball came out. Did you not watch the review?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

brown, I'll never take that defeatist approach to anything. Thats friggin depressing...why bother watching/rooting for the team....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

scampbell1975,
You are right on the second one, but did Cooley let the ball go willingly? No. It was a tenth of a second from being a fumble - and the first one was a fumble. Both of those could have gone the other way, or were you not watching the game?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 16, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood = sky is falling BEFORE Skins lose

Beantown = sky is falling AFTER Skins lose

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Gatorskinz = sky is falling until the skins string some wins together

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 16, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

The "Bend But Don't Break" philosophy is for losers and is straight 'tard.

If it's bending, it's already broke. It's called settling. It's called being passive.

Hello, this is football. American football! There isn't a such thing as passive, and you should never settle, or cater to an opponent. By doing so, you've already accepted defeat.

You have to be aggressive, or you'll get your lunch and milk money taken in this league. Of course you can't be aggressive all the time, like going for it on 4th and 12 from your own 5 with 8:30 left in the first quarter, well that's actually called something else, stupid, but you all get the point.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 16, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

TWISI,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 16, 2009 9:32 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 9:35 AM |

Woops, sorry, I guess I shoulda read your post a little more carefully. I see you mention the reversal./ But no one mentioned it because it wasn't a fumble. Not worth mentioning unless you're a doomsayer looking for things to be negative about. There are plenty of things to be negative about without having to manufacture one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 8:57 AM

BeantownGreg1

Thats makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Individual play and gambling on defense has been determined to be a bad thing. We supposedly have studs all over the field but nobody is really making plays.

Why is that? Are we too restrictive? Orakpo is a hands on the ground pass rusher, but we want him to scheme and play the passing lanes. Whats up with that?

We think flushing the QB from the pocket is a bad thing, so we try to sack the QB in the pocket which is harder to do.

I say get to QB spot any way you can, get the QB on his horse and you will start getting sacks. You can't play gap control and sack the QB. You have to destroy the gaps up and down the field, not just across it.

And I know this is only the first game but I am seeing the same bad habits from years past.

I hope this first game is not indicative of the past and Zorn really does know what he is doing.

The pattern at running back is a grave concern. We will not for some reason use the fullback position except to block. Keep Portis on the field for three downs and use him in the pass offense. Why Betts and Cartwright are still 2nd and 3rd behind Portis when they have offered nothing as a threat behind Portis is a huge question.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 16, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

And while I am at it, let me just take the controversial position and say that I think Cooley is waaaaaaay over-rated. The guy cannot block. He fumbles. He is not a big receiver that can go high for a jump ball...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 16, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I say we bring back the all white suits for the Rams. The team just looks faster in the all white uniforms. They wore them for the playoff run in 2007 and for their 6-2 start last year. Superstition - bring back the all whites.

Posted by: quinn3 | September 16, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Will there be soft music and candlelight, to help the corners get closer to the receivers?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 16, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Cooley had 3 fumbles last year and lost 2 according to ESPN stats. That's not exactly fumblitis. As a matter of fact Cooley has 8 carrer fumbles in 5 years and 1 game. That's not that bad.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

when was the last time we had 5 sacks in a game, I know blache thinks sacks are over-rated, but I guarantee you if AH was falling on a qb 4-5 times in a game, he'd be getting happy feet in the pocket...

They really need to win, because winning cures posts like, "cooley is over-rated"....gosh thats dumb....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't need to fry Zorn today... RI posters are on it, I see.

LOL!

JFK, I've been a Zorn non-believer, since last year after he showed how he handled losing.

By being stubborn, arrogant, and lacking the understanding what it means to be 100% accountable as a head coach.

I don't care if the Redskins finish 15-1, I will not vouch for this hack ass coach.

I will not. Ever.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Redskins aren't alone in needing W By David Elfin on Sept. 16, 2009
Redskins 360

Chins up, Redskins fans. Your heroes might have lost to the Giants in Week 1, but did you really expect to win in New York? C'mon now.

What's more, Washington's next five foes -- St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Carolina and Kansas City -- all lost their openers and by an average of 20 points. So the Redskins are in good shape for a winless team.

That's not the case for five other teams with playoff hopes.

Carolina, after pounded by Philadelphia 38-10 at home, visits defending NFC South champion Atlanta, which beat Miami 19-7 last week. The Panthers and Falcons split their division series the past three seasons, but at least Carolina has emerged victorious from three of its last four trips to the Georgia Dome.

Tennessee led Pittsburgh late last Thursday before losing in overtime at the Super Bowl champions. The Titans had three extra days of rest/preparation for AFC South rival Houston, which won their last meeting 13-12 but is 1-6 alltime in Nashville.

The Texans, .500 last year, were thrashed 24-7 at home last week by the New York Jets and are staring at an 0-2 start as they try to qualify for postseason for the first time in their 8-year history.

Chicago couldn't have had a worse debut with new quarterback Jay Cutler throwing four interceptions and team leader Brian Urlacher suffering a season-ending dislocated wrist in the 21-15 loss to NFC South archrival Green Bay. And now the Bears get the Steelers, who have those extra days of rest and preparation.

Arizona, which led Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLIII with less than a minute to go, opened with a stinker, a 20-16 home loss to NFC West foe San Francisco. The Jaguars battled Indianapolis to the wire on the road before losing 14-12. The Cardinals, who rarely play well on the East Coast, need to hope that their divisional round upset at Carolina is a reflection of what's to come Sunday rather than their 0-5 regular season record back East in 2008.

-- David Elfin

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:36 AM

Force of habit. Been doing it so long I wouldn't know what to do on a Sunday if I didn't.

Trust me...if I could stop, I would. It's not like Redskin football has been must-see-TV the last 10+ years, you know.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 16, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Interesting post over at ExtremeSkins:

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 16, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I did not attack you.

Posted by: p1funk | September 16, 2009 9:35 AM

Just like the Secondary! hehe

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 16, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

You can bet for sure that this is Zorns last year here no matter what; Snyder already has his mind set for next year.......he needs a coach and I will bet it will be Denver's ex coach for sure!!!!

Posted by: JohnnyGunn1 | September 16, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"It was in the script"

Only a wet head coach would think the Giants haven't been practicing the reverse Randle El pass all off season in prep for opening weekend.

Wanna try a trick play? Send Thomas, Mitchell or Kelly on a deep routes.

"They had Moss covered pretty well covered all day."

??? They have have had Moss pretty well covered since week 8 of last season!!!!

Moss needs to be used as a decoy until they can extablish another wide reciever on the outside.

Posted by: hakimallen | September 16, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

brown, thats pretty pathetic...I mean, again, why bother watching the games, or rooting for them, if you've come to expect to lose??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 16, 2009 9

Well said.

Posted by: will_ga | September 16, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 16, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Upon Further Review: Redskins, Week 1

Ryan O'Halloran

UPON FURTHER REVIEW

Final observations from the Redskins' 23-17 loss to the New York Giants on Sunday:

• Coach Jim Zorn was asked several times Monday about Albert Haynesworth's playing time, and much was made about how he came out during the opening drive. Whatever. Haynesworth played 46 of 64 snaps (72 percent). Defensive tackles are hit on every play, and every team has a rotation. "I wish Albert could play 100 percent of the time at 100 percent speed, but he weighs 340 [pounds]," Zorn said. "He's a load, and moving that much mass will take it out of you."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 16, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

BEEPS

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 16, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

There's alot to not like about the Skins performance on Sunday, Cooley is not one of them.

It's ludicrous that we have a Cooley-bashing thread going on.

The dude is the only true legit bonafide ProBowler on our team (Fletcher snubs aside)and was one of the few bright spots on Sunday.

Contain the hate, people. Unleash it where it is deserved...

Posted by: p1funk | September 16, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

They should play closer the passing game is now moved into timing patterns. If the Corner plays up close like Webster was doing with Moss. It will break down the QB's timing. My personal opinion they have have yards were they can use their hands. If the Corners use that rule to their advantage you will se better results is shutting down those receivers

Posted by: walkersr625 | September 16, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I know funk, I mean some attacked my opinion by countering and putting all the blame on JC. JC may have a lot of experience in the league, but if he isn't put in a position to succeed, and knows it, he'll play poorly - it's a given. I could see from the beginning that we did not put him in a position to succeed. Zorn should have been hired as an OC/QB coach who doesn't call plays but designs a system. Those are the two things he does well - designs a system and improves QB play within what the QB is given. If the QB is given crap because the playcaller doesn't have a clue what he's doing, a QB will fail despite his improved mechanics.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 16, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Are you f'in kidding me!!
So to be clear here, you have the players who do not recognize that they are playing too far off the ball. And the DB coach, the DC and the HC who don't realize the same thing throughout the course of the game. They had the same coverage problem in the pre-season and last season. They adjusted last season toward the end and went to press/ man coverage more often and played better.
I'm not saying that they have to play press coverage every play but if something isn't working you have to adjust. The part that pisses me off is that the folks who get paid to perform, devise, teach and oversee this aspect of the game don't understand that if a guy need 5 yards for a first down you don't give him 10 yards of cushion.

Posted by: priceisright | September 16, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

How many times do we have to read about this team NOT being prepared or not adjusting during the course of the game?

They played 4 quarters and had problems getting them off the field on 3rd downs, but they gave 8-9 yard cushions.

Posted by: oknow1 | September 16, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 16, 2009 9:08 AM

BeantownGreg1,

I beg to differ with you on the football shape issue.

The whole Team I would say is in athletic shape and have great physical conditioning. But, this is not football shape.

Football shape comes from actually practicing and playing it. It does not come from walkthroughs, playbooks, exercising, and standing on the sidelines. Too many of our key players have not been through football camp. They were there, but many of them were not partaking day in and day out in the real football training. The players that worked the hardest are the bench players and the ones that have been cut.

The veterans have had an easy camp and it shows and they have not as of yet proved otherwise.

There play in preseason was a joke. You cannot show up for one series a game and 1/2 a game in one of them and expect to develop anything. Thays why commentator after commentator continually say the Reskins have no identity. They don't practice long and hard enough to know what players or schemes really work for them.

You ever wonder why Moss and Campbell don't click? Why even with Portis the running game sucks? Why we can't sack the QB?

The best teams go damn hard in practice. The harder you practice football on the gridiron the easier it translates to the field.

Miami won 11 games last year and it wasn't because they have a bunch of studs, but because Bill Parcells knows what football shape is and you just don't pencil starters in.

You put your best players on the field from going hard in practice. You just might find out you might make better players out of those starters you keep penciling in that have not earned the right in practice.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 16, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

It is like we are playing the Prevent --- as in Prevent the Victory--- all game long. WIll someone PLEASE show Smoot how to tackle!!!

Posted by: job22 | September 16, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

There was a happy time in Redskin's history when a guy named Richie Petibon actually made half-time adjustments.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | September 16, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kirbyknight | September 16, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey guys lighten up a bit, it's only week 2. I understand the frustrations. By the way, I LOVE Cooley. That last TD catch covered the spread +6.5 and sent me to the cashiers window!

Posted by: VegasJim | September 16, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

None of the corners we have are skilled enough or disciplined enough to play press coverage.

Posted by: clark202 | September 16, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VegasJim | September 16, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

hahaha...

I agree though...we need to give the season a little bit larger of a sample size (say -- 4 games?) before we start passing all kinds of definitive judgements on the Skins...

Posted by: mattylight | September 16, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Uhhh, this has been an issue for like 3 years

100% true, they have known this but the fact is they know they have zero pass rush and will get hit deep a lot more often if they did not give that cushion.

I'm sure glad we have a good GM and management!

Posted by: millineumman | September 16, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Our corners plan to play closer?

Ha!

If they were any further away, they'd be playing offense.

Posted by: edvar | September 16, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

YOU THINK??!!!! We made Eli look better than his brother on any throw less than 10 yards and the middle was more open than Paris Hilton. I heard Wal-Mart has hands on sale. I wonder if Rogers near a Wal-Mart?

Posted by: Luvdanappy | September 16, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

zorn=norv turner. unable to get his players to step up and play.

Posted by: rls1041 | September 16, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"This defense is not agressive, thats why they don't force turnovers. They bend but don't break, thats why we get beat in time of possesion most games.Posted by: Flounder21"

Except last year the Skins didn't get beat often in time of possession. Check the record.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 16, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

When the Gianst can OWN the first quarter with almost 13 minutes of the clock, without a good running game, then you know the corners were playing SOFT. I HATE that approach by Blache. It basically tells the other team that the Redskins do not have the skill DBs to run with the receivers, and it's an EASY 7 yard pitch n catch pretty much anytime you want it!!!

Posted by: wagenstill | September 16, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree that the sky isn't falling. Its just when you see a problem you have to adjust in game.
I'm no professional and I don't have 1/10 the experience or knowledge that the pros have, I sit on the couch and watch the game. But I do know what I see and what I see is the same problem with the same results.
I believe that in regard to the D in general, the coaches need to realize when something needs adjustment and not just stick with a 'scheme' b/c of ego or whatever else.
For example, kirby's link to an article in the Examiner. JZ agreed that the DBs need to play closer but Coach Gray disagreed. I'm just saying, the #4 or #1 D doesn't mean squat if you continue to give your O only 4 plays in a quarter by not stopping the other teams on 3rd and long.

Posted by: priceisright | September 16, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they thought the first seven consecutive completions were luck?

Posted by: millineumman | September 16, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If they don't blitz more, it won't matter how far off they cover anyone.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 16, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"When we didn't, it just seemed too easy. When the protection was there, it was easy. Those are the things that we will learn. . . . "

Jesus tapdancing Chr**t!! Zorn needed to LEARN that? Every idiot who hasn't played a down of football in their lives and who were yelling at the TV on sunday for them to play closer seemed to knew it already.

I worry about the coaches.

Posted by: whughes1 | September 16, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

a Petition need to start to fire COach CORN: i mean Zorn /o/ This guy is wasting years off our good playes the redksins are gettin older . They dont play or use they young players which is dumb to me Marko mitchell all he did was catch touchdown 6;4 4.4 speed, kareem moore a good hitter and tackler way better fit than Fred Smoot at Free safety who cant tackle my grandmother. Tryon even do he is getting better get those guys in the game and see what they can do Malcolm kelly one darn Pass come on!!!!! devin thomas 4 darn snaps fred davis coming along .. Lets fire zorn now and began the head coach search b/c if they wait to the end of the year it will be to late b/c the big time coaches will go else were

Posted by: chinngy23 | September 16, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

the secondary doesn't tackle very well at all....especially the corners.

they have a better chance of catching a cold than anything resembling an interception.

watch how much Smoot gets thrown at on 3rd down...he can't cover any more in his older years.

Posted by: outrbnksm | September 16, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

zorn=norv turner. unable to get his players to step up and play.

That's scary! ...and maybe true.

Posted by: edvar | September 16, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey ding dongs, stop saying well what about this and what about that. This thread is about the cushion the cornerbacks gave. Get it. Different thread different topics. To which I have to say, where was the coaching before the game??? It's not like we were gearing up to play the Arizona Cardinals. I did not even know a single Giants receiver's name before that game other than Hixon. Thus, I don't understand the "respect" we were giving their receivers. And, where is the leadership during the game? Where is someone stepping up and saying "hey coach we are playing too far off the ball"? Think a Ray Lewis or Ed Reed would not catch something like that during a game if the coaches did not. Sorry, but the Skins' are way too dysfunctional all around to be a serious threat to anything. The coaches and players alike.

Posted by: rphilli721 | September 16, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

The only corner capable of manning up is DHall, and he can't tackle once the receiver catches the ball. He got burned on the play that resulted in an interception. He was so far behind the play that after Landry tipped the pass, Hall happened to be in the perfect spot for the carom. Smoot is not capable of playing man ... never was. And Rogers has leg problems, he can't cover tight. So who are they going to get to press those receivers? I guess this week they'll be able to do it because Avery is the only Ram receiver who runs faster than a 40-year-old. What happens next week with Calvin Johnson?

Posted by: tkoho | September 16, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

ALL THIS WHINING IS GIVING ME A HEADACHE. The Skins will beat the Rams Sunday because there is no tomorrow with another loss. I prefer Captain Morgan myself.

Posted by: classicskins | September 16, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Having played corner (though not close to the professional level), the further off you play, the HARDER it is to cover. Most trains of thought say that playing off is safer, but I disagree wholeheartedly. Not only do you give up 7 yard passes with ease, you must also begin to backpedal so that you're running at full speed when the receiver gets to your level. Playing close to the line allows a cornerback to react with the WR, which is a much more natural movement than reacting out of the backpedal. Hopefully Zorn can get them to make the changes, because Gray & Blache seem to love the concept for some reason.

Posted by: wisdom80 | September 16, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Once again Danny "Spoiled Bratt" Snyder and Vinny "The Snake" Cerrato signed a washed up football player (i.e., Deon Sanders, etc.). DeAngelo Hall is a bust. Two teams let him go (Atlanta, Oakland) because of what you saw on Sunday. He can not tackle. He can not intimidate anyone. Teams know he plays real "soft" all the time. Can somebody please tell me WHY we signed him to a contract during the off-season (20 million gauranteed). If I played on the Redskins I would immediately ask for a new contract and refuse to play. They should have signed MICHAEL VICK if they wanted to gamble on a football player.

Posted by: rkornegay1 | September 16, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight
==================================

I prefer to think of it as Zorn's 17th game. That way when I see the game and see the same old mistakes...I'm not blind-sided or bewildered...that's just me! BTW...where is Mike "Shanahan'ed" his butt here a long time ago??!! ZORN is not HC material!! And JC is auditioning for someone else. Publicly pursuing another QB, including wining and dining a rookie (who looks damn good by the way) in JC's own backyard, means you are gone JC no matter what you do! JC has public "good guy" appeal and sentiment. But he has no QB moxie. No sandlot, playground, or sense of urgency about him in the pocket. I don't mind if he held the ball to wait out a receiver on a deep delivery, but can you move around a bit so you are not in the same spot that the DE saw you in when he left off the line 3 seconds ago??? Big Ben does this every game (hold & move). Which is why though he is big and slow, his footwork saves his butt game after game and he can hit that receiver after 4 or 5 seconds. They are both big, him and Jason, but only one of them seems to have innovation behind center. Zorn will be demoted to the QB guru spot, and Mike S. will be the Danny's new fantasy football coach! The Danny wants an offensive juggernaut. He probably thought it was a waste of time to load up on weapons when he still just has JC and JZ to use them. So he is content to do the best with what he has until he gets the coach he really wants...and the QB. THEN he will upgrade the line and make it bigger and younger. But the line we have now serves to make or likely break JC to validate his getting rid of him. And to show lack of point production in a Zorn offense. If they don't falter, and we win, good too! Either way, the Danny gets what he wants...and we suffer thru it as true fans do year after year, ever coming second in the big scheme of the Burger-Meister, Meister-Burger...unless of course, you don't pay for your tickets!

SEMPER FI! Go Skins!!!

Posted by: dark_some | September 16, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

BTW...the corners play where they are told (coached) to play. So yell at the coaches. By playing them 6-10 yards back, they are just lambs for the slaughter even when we play teams with no apparent receiving threat! Even the Giants receivers know how to catch a 5-10 yard out! No corner laying 10 yards back can stop that. So yell at the coaches...

Posted by: dark_some | September 16, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 16, 2009 7:24 AM |

Agreed 100% Flounder, we have never played a attacking defensive scheme that has the corners jamming and in the face of the WR. Look how effective it was on Moss, bothered the shyte out of him, obviously...

Dark_some, i mean D. hall, if you would have played better on Sunday, nobody would be complaining about either the coaches nor the players, but however, D. Hall looked lost, afraid to tackle and terrified to jam up at the line, not to mention, pretty slow...

Coaches may tell them to offer cusion, but the do not tell you to OLE the player you are tackling.

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 16, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Ive been saying it all along the corners play to entirely too far off the receivers. With that much cushion i could complete a pass and i dont even play QB.

Posted by: tareil | September 16, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

A boxer, who can constantly hit his opponent with a jab, will constantly hit his opponent with a jab until his opponent makes an adjustment. A boxer who is constantly being hit with a jab will continue to get hit with a jab until he adjusts the position of his hands. Having said that, why in the hell did the skins coaches not make an adjustment to have the corners play press coverage (or at least position themselves 1-3 yards from the receivers to interrupt the timing of the giants’ passing game. If the giants are trying to take Santana out of the game, then make an adjustment to get Santana “back in the game” don’t just accept the fact that they are taking Santana out. If coaches can’t adjust, then put Santana on the bench and play another receiver. I’m sick of the coaches making excuses because they failed to adjust their game plan to counter their opponents’ actions. If the giants play 8 men in the box, then throw the damn ball until they back the F*^% off.

Posted by: pennstate1 | September 16, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's the problem with putting Orakpo at end "every play".

He will get pummelled.

By every TE and H-Back variation in the league. Don't believe me...ask Mario Williams...when did he have his 1st year success?

Late in the season when he...? That's right rotated between DE and OLB.

That blossomed into more and more time at DE as his knowledge grew, and his technique developed. Year two, he went BEAST-O-RAMA!

Hmmm, ya think anyone in the NFL watches some film? 'Nuff said.

You want sack production from the O-line....get some offensive drives of more than 3 plays, covering 2 minutes 35 seconds going on a REGULAR basis.

THAT'S how teams exploit our defense, by getting to see it so much. Fresh legs equal good push, good step, good jumps, and big hits. Those add up to big plays.

How do we get Campbell to decide quicker?

Here;s a thought: put a shock collar around Campbell's neck, if the ball is in his hands after 5 mississippi...hit the button and zap him.

He'll learn to make some quicker decisions ;)

Seriously though...help him get mentally faster/quicker, or put someone in who will/can.

I don't even care who. Tony Banks has to be available...It's getting so bad I almost miss Partick Ramsey.

No wait, I don't...because that's what Campbell is...Patrick Ramsey II.

Good longball arm, with little to no accuracy, who gets fixated on ONE WR...wow...HELP US!

Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: ThinkingMan | September 16, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

for the record someone really needs to tell coach Zorn that his play calling STINKS... that second play from srimmage Sunday to Randle was awful for that momemt and time. Clinton just popped one 34 yds and now Zorn comes back with that play and we lose 10 yds. the momemtum we had from Clintonis now gone and now the game goes down hill.

Posted by: tareil | September 16, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Cindy Boren said it best: the skins seem calibrate their effort each week depending on the opponent.

Is this not a problem?
Is there nothing a head coach can do about this?

(This was a problem under the previous softy HC as well - his 2.0 fatigue seeping into the rest of the team, and you're going to start hearing guys half way through the season complaining about "playing not to lose" and the need to "play to win". We've replaced fatigue with tentative as far as the HC is concerned.)

Anybody tired of this mental laxity? You're SUPPOSED to address that during training camp - but maybe that was on an afternoon off. Wynn - say something. Marko - slap some DBs!

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 16, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Teddy Bruschi said it best when he said the best pass rush is up the middle. I don't see the Redskins coming up the middle. Message to elevator shoes tall man wannabe Snyder and his organ grinder monkey Cerrato: Teddy Bruschi for Defensive Coordinator. Bye bye Blache. Oh and bye bye Andre Carter. I'm not sure who is more over rated Carter or Hall.

Posted by: getitritegov | September 16, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

How much cushion to leave depends on a lot of factors, like Zone or Man, down and distance (for example, don't leave a ten yard cushion on third and five, but don't play press on third and twenty unless your name is Bailey or Asomugha), are you blitzing, how good the DBs and receivers are, etc. That said, the Giants WRs, with the exception of maybe Nicks, who's a rookie, aren't very fast, very physical, or very good. They're ideal WRs to play tight man-to-man against. However, if the QB is getting four or five seconds to throw, any legitimate NFL wide receiver is going to get open.

Posted by: Charles_Day@comcast.net | September 16, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 16, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse
_______

Lord. Take more drugs. Cooley is not even on a list of things wrong with this team. More like one of about 4/5 things good about this team. He is a real throwback football player all around. Is he the best blocker? No. What offensive minded TE is? I would say he is better than average for sure. He actually had a nice block on the first run by Portis. He had 3 last year while second in receptions for TE's, 1 the year before, 0 the year before that. See no fumbling problem there.

I miss Shawn Springs already. Yeah, he was injured too much. But, the dude could play and most importantly as it relates to this thread was one of the best tackling corners I've ever seen. Fred Smoot and Hall are jokes.

Posted by: rphilli721 | September 16, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Edit: As far as fumbling is concerned, he had 3 last year......

Posted by: rphilli721 | September 16, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse