Famous last words about the O line

I was determined not to write about the offensive line for a while. Having written so much about the team's failure to address its biggest deficiency, I figured Insider readers were ready to move on.

Then the Atlanta Falcons tied a franchise record with five first-half sacks to set the tone en route to a 21-point halftime lead in Sunday's 31-17 victory at the Georgia Dome. The unit did not give up a sack in the second half and opened holes in the running game for back Ladell Betts, who ran hard after Clinton Portis left the game because of a concussion.

Washington had its two longest touchdown drives (80 and 81 yards) of the season in the second half and made things interesting until the defense again gave up another long touchdown run. I suppose some could find encouraging signs from the unit's play after halftime.

But the reality of it is, as we've pointed out for some time now, these guys simply aren't very good. They can't consistently pass protect, and while Betts might be more productive than Portis because he's in good shape and always practices hard, this is not a difference-making line.

And how bad is second-year guard Chad Rinehart? He briefly started when right guard Randy Thomas went down, failed to impress (he was active in games three and four) and isn't even active these days with the line in tatters.

A prominent veteran recently told me that players still talk about the fact that management took three big receivers in the 2008 draft when most in the organization were concerned that the age and injury concerns along the line could soon derail the offense. And although Brian Orakpo already is a beast (he could be among the league's premier pass rushers for a decade or so), the failure to bolster the line in the 2008 draft might have made tackle Michael Oher a better pick in the 2009 draft. Oher was taken 23rd overall by the Baltimore Ravens.

Well, that's it for me. I'm done writing about the line.

Missed tackles

The topic du jour for the Redskins Tailgate Zone is LaRon Landry's tackling.

By Jason Reid  |  November 9, 2009; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins: Zorn 'went off' at halftime
Next: Horton to miss 4-6 weeks

Comments

Landry needs to be traded after this year, while people still think he is an up and coming safety. Your FS needs to be a sure tackler and he is anything but that. You need someone who can lay the licks but is a great tackler at FS, a la Ryan Clark, oh wait we had him but we let him go b/c he wasn't flashy enough. Oh yeah, but he's flashy enough that he's been starting for reigning SuperBowl Champs since. Guess he wasn't good enough for Washington. Trade Landry Please!

Posted by: forever8-8 | November 9, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | November 9, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

PAskins - can't I dream?

Won't JC be a RFA due to there not being a cap, and therefore tradeable? Carolina will need a QB.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 9, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"BMW has to be moved to RG for the safety of the QBs."

No team member's presence condemns Vinny Cerrato the way Mike Williams' does.

For him to believe an out-of-shape, failed player could somehow 'get-it-all together' via weight loss and effort to become a viable player, reflects hopeful wishing, and not true talent acumen.

Vinny blew off drafting, say, Phil Loadholt to play right tackle as he felt the team needed another pass rushing linebacker.

It's months into the season and Williams drops his head and shoulders--not his hips--and looks like he's bowing as a defensive end rushes past.

The team didn't draft a young tackle to groom and let Jeremy Bridges go to keep a guy in Mike Williams who an obvious liability: name another NFL talent guy who'd make such a mistake.

If the clueless browns could fire their talent guy Kikonos at mid-season, one wonders why Vinny Cerrato hasn't been.

After all, it's not like he's head and shoulders above anybody when it comes to assembling a team.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"Well, that's it for me. I'm done writing about the line."

Well, sorry to hear that... especially since it appears that you've given more thought to the O-line situation than Vinny, Dan, Zoron or the rest of the Redskin "braintrusts."

Posted by: Vic1 | November 9, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

we could give it another go with JC next year, maybe better line will help, but I cant stand behind that anymore, he is terrified back there and might not ever recover - ala Health Shuler.

Mh wouldn't you behind this sht of what they call a o line? I give JC credit because if it was me I would have said f it after 5 sacks before the half even ends.

Posted by: jm220 |

Posted by: jm220 | November 9, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Bench Laron, please. He brings absolutely nothing to the table. Except if you count bullSJK late hits on the quarterback and Deion Sanders level tackling. I'm embarassed to have this guy in a Redskins uniform, he plays like a Cowboy.

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | November 9, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Anyone think Mike Smith gets a call and fine from the league office for the stuff with D. Hall yesterday?

Not buying his story he was trying to break things up. Dude was dragged out of there by two of his own players.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Betts is more productive than Portis?? Unless you go by yardage and count missed blocks. Very lame thing to say Reid, unsubstantiated opinion!

Why does Portis have to get knocked unconscience for Betts and Cartwright to get carries??

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

On the positive side Tampa won. They only need 2 more wins and we jump ahead of them in the draft.

Go Tampa, Detroit and St. Louis!

Posted by: gixxer998 | November 9, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

So what?

Look at the scoreboard: Atlanta 31, Washington 17. If the 'Skins D had lived up to its hype and did what the Dallas D did, then we would have won 17-16.

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 5:57 AM |
----------------------------

This turd-brained excuse-maker still doesn't get it.

7 of Atlanta's 31 are on the offense (pick 6).

Further, after 8 games, this OFFENSE still HASN'T hit the 20 point mark in ANY game.

Crying about the #4 ranked defense at this point is akin to complaining about the airline meal as you're about to crash into the ocean.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 9, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Pretty Funny!

I agree 100% Mista Moe!

I thought there were some decent OL in the late rounds when we drafted idiots Glenn and Henson, who by the way...dont PLAY. I was so mad yesterday, spent the entire game in a cloud of smoke, DID L. Jones get into the game at all, cuz what I saw of Heyer, BMW and the rest was awful, even Rabach sucked donkey balls.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 9, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

AND to think we drafted Landry at the #6 spot and AP was drafted #7. Great Job!

Posted by: gixxer998 | November 9, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"In 2009, Soups 1st half QB rating is 64.7; 107.9 in the 2nd, once the other team has the lead and plays prevent."

-- It appears to argue in favor of only playing him during the second half if you must play him at all.

Of course, if the second half was actually JC17's "first" half of a game -- could he ever play any worse than he already does?

I'm also sure that JC17 himself would tell you that he is statistically superior to most other QBs in the league -- that is, except for the "little things" like W-L records, the number of scored against points surrendered, team division standings, and other such "meaningless" stats.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 9, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"Betts might be more productive than Portis because he's in good shape and always practices hard"

would agree, except yesterday it looked like Betts learned how to block from Fred Davis. Maybe he would get more PT if he could block?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 9, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"...we could give it another go with JC next year.."

The team would be foolish not to.

Money, draft picks, and roster space should all towards fixing what is an obvious situation: the skins horrible offensive line.

It makes no sense to draft a kid to play behind a line that won't block or protect him.

An even where Campbell has proven to be inaccurate, if there is blocking, a running game would take the pressure off him until he get's a rhythm going.

The team needs to spend Haynesworth-type money on a free agent right guard and tackle.

Randy Thomas, Chris Samuels, Mike Williams, and Casey Rabach should all be ex-redskins next season.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Agree w/ the trade Landry statement. As far as I am concerned he's another Ceratto draft bust! He has'nt shown crap since he was drafted, trade him after season & get a draft pick to use on o-lineman. Only problem if Ceratto is still in charge, then we know what will happen!

Posted by: skinhead62 | November 9, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

JR: "this is not a difference-making line"

Oh, but I beg to differ. This line makes all the difference in the world. BM "Turnstile" Williams, Casey "The Gripper" Rabach... those guys make a huge difference.

I have a #98 jersey, and I think Orakpo is going to be a force. Yet, I still think that the REAL Big Mike, Oher, should have been taken on draft day.

JC17 deserves tremendous respect. He was getting absolutely pummeled. At the same time, Collins came in the second half and started hitting those slants that Campbell has so much trouble with.

I say F&*$K the WCO, and the faux surfer boyz JZ and VC who think it's a good idea. I mean just look at those clowns. Who does VC think he is, Kelso from That 70's Show? Get a man's hairstyle, stop with the center part and feathered bangs. Same with JZ's weird flattop and penchant for turtlenecks. What a couple of effete candy-a$$s.

It took THIS to get JZ fired up? After losing to DET? Really? You get fired up when you stink it up in the first half to a winning team, but you're medium when you're getting driven like a wheelbarrow by DETROIT?!?! D E T R O I T !?!?

*$#W(!@#%%!)DKB)ED~~!!!

There are lots of guys wearing the Maroon and Gold that deserve to be back. True Redskins. Fletcher. Orakapo. Dockery. Haynesworth. Rocky Mac. Sellers. I could make a list. But since the team SUCKS, how about putting Landry back at his natural position? How much worse can anybody else be at FS? Heck, put Smootie back there. He'll make a tackle.

Would it be a good idea to sh*tcan VC right now? Could you get another personel guy at this point in the season?

Posted by: dpc2003 | November 9, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Landry needs to be traded after this year

Yep, this guy is officially a BUST!!! Takes bad angles on tackles, doesn't wrap up when tackling. He calls himself superman, yeah right more like superflake. Dirty30 get outta here, more like sh1tty30, and this is suppose to be his breakout year, dude has got worst since rookie year.

Need to hype him up through media so we can trick another team into trading him for some picks or oline.

Posted by: bhoang888 | November 9, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

REDSKINS SUCK! LET's GO CAPS!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | November 9, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"I thought there were some decent OL in the late rounds when we drafted idiots Glenn and Henson, who by the way...don't PLAY."

Well, what really condemns the redskins' line of thinkning is that when the falcons' starting left tackle Sam Baker went down with an injury, they had a young backup who played very well in his place.

Can we do that?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

right trade Landry, cuz no team is watching his piss poor tackling, bad angles and non-factor self in games. Yeah he stinks, but you'd get 10 cents on the dollar in that trade.....i'd venture to guess that maybe a 3rd round pick for him would be about what to expect....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Can we do that?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Well, the difference is that Baker isn't a pro-bowler so they don't have to have a pro-bowler backing him up. Samuels is a pro-bowler so there has to be a monumental drop off after him or we wouldn't appreciate how great he was.

oye.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 9, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"I'm tried of this sh!t!. Every week you come out and this same sh!t happens. We prepare, we work hard and then this."

"I can't deal with it . . . I can't deal with it."

-Brian Orakpo

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 9, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Landry played well when he played SS. In my mind, his biggest problems are filling the hole when somebody else sets the edge. He should be knocking the crap out of guys -- what a natural FS like ST21 did. But he just doesn't have it.

Were I Blache, I'd move LL 5 yards closer. I think LL is getting there about 2 steps late.

Posted by: dpc2003 | November 9, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Those two steps, the late ones... are also out of bounds.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 9, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

dc, take a look at the photo's in the link with this post in the Tailgate Zone...yeah, he's getting there 2 steps too late, then he's completely uninterested in making a tackle...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | November 9, 2009 10:13 AM

He's not getting there late. He's not under control when he gets there. He comes barrelling down to make a kill shot and the ball carrier isn't there when he goes to make the hit.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 9, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Why is Orakpo crying again?

Can't he dry his eyes with gold flaked kleenex and drive home to silk sheets in his fancy car?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 9, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

The good thing about drafting Russel Okung is that you can move Heyer back to right tackle and move BMW to right guard. Then you can take a right tackle in the second round and move Heyer to the unemployment line. I find it interesting that Rabach is always holding when the guy rushes to the right side of the line. BMW whiffs blocks when guys bullrush him to the inside. It's almost like we have no right guard at all. I'm not absolving those guys for crappy play or anything but they should have a little help.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I saw that. He'll hit a QB out of bounds, but whiffs on a RB in the hole. Nice.

The guy has talent. But like so MANY other guys on this team, he's being asked to do something that he doesn't do well.

Posted by: dpc2003 | November 9, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

"Samuels is a pro-bowler so there has to be a monumental drop off after him or we wouldn't appreciate how great he was...oye."

The issue wasn't about needing a 'pro bowler' to back up an injured 'pro bowler,' just that the lack of depth creates a situation where there's a steep drop off when a starter isn't there.

Sam Baker was the player the Falcons took when we took Fred Davis in '08.

How's that working out for the redskins?

Had the team taken Baker, Samuels' injury is a mute point.

Samuels' backups are Stephon Heyer, Anthony D'Baptiste: are you suggesting those guys are on the level of most NFL backup left tackles?

Don't think so, my friend.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

If Betts is in such great shape why did he have 21 rushing yards going into week 8?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Campbell has to go. The OL gave him plenty of time, some of the sacks were on him. Notice that Atlanta didn't come close to sacking Collins, the immovable QB, why? Because he got rid of the ball at a fraction of the time that Campbell takes. The OL could be better, but I am starting to believe the root for their lack of performance is based on the brunt abuse they take for the failures of the Teflon QB.

Posted by: hock1 | November 9, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

he's being asked to do something that he doesn't do well.

tackle??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Our coaching staff is afraid of change, it scares them. They are Amish. They don't need these new fangled innovations like healthy running backs and receivers that can catch balls. That's the devil's stuff right there. The English can have it.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Landry is disappointing but (and I know this is a leap) ST21 looked pretty dreadful at times in 2006 too. Many called him overrated before he broke out so I'm not giving up on Laron yet, but that superman talk can stop until he plays better.

As for second guessing that draft, most people were mad we didn't pick AMOBI OKOYE, bench fixture in Houston, if I recall. Laron isn't close to the biggest disappointment of that draft, amazingly.

Lastly, can we get off the Oher/Orakpo thing already? Anytime you bring in a guy like 98, you're doing well. Whine about not addressing the oline in later rounds but selecting orakpo over oher was not an error.

Next time jreid has a hankering to write the same oline post again, he should do an expose on the Trojans. Fight on!

Posted by: AdamCr | November 9, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

BG, did you notice who else was in those screen shots featuring LL?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 9, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Okay, it's time to talk about the 115 pound elephant in the room: Cindy Boren. I don't think she's getting the job done.

Anyone who read today's print edition is really sad to see that, of all the brilliant posts yesterday, she chose drivel by aaronharman, stevebeagrie, swb, SkinsneedaGM, rachel216 and this weak effort by BeantownGreg1: "Rest of the season Portis and Betts need to split the carries."

Wow. That's printworthy? She chose that over my "Betts should carry the ball when the game is winnable, Portis when it's not."

I had some brilliant and memorable quotes. I had been working on them all week. And not a single one made the print edition. Here are three reasons why I should be quoted and not those other lame-o posters:

1. My quotes have depth, perspective, and literary merit.
2. I'm a league-source with insider insight.
3. I pay to subscribe to the print edition. Or at least I did before I cancelled my subscription this morning.

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

on a lighter note, Happy National Scrapple Day

Posted by: connskins | November 9, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Hand -- I think he's barrelling down there because he's late. If he got there earlier, he'd have time to break down and make a tackle. Instead he's moving way too fast and gets whiffs. So, give him a little extra time.

Posted by: dpc2003 | November 9, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

J Reid takes opportunity to kick Portis while he is down for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Reid your a big fat bald ugly 2nd string Jason La Confora F U and the horse you rode in on.

Portis got a concussion you fat jerk.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 9, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003

Joey T said this morning that Landry is not a FS - should be a SS. And he said Landry appears to be afraid to tackle.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 9, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

pabrian, how many carries did he have??

I mean how friggin hard is this to figure out??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Well, Vic1...then what's the use of signing a "total stranger" if the line still doesn't block worth a damn and we still would have the same record? I guess an "absolute stranger" would have got back in the game twice after injury to try and bring us back too. JC played his azzzzz off in the second half but I dont hear anyone talk about that though...I love reading everyone's post because you guys are killing JC and the o-line yet you still blame JC for everything. give him Denver's line or even Manning's line and judge him then, but until then...give him credit for "trying" to make a play. Don't get me wrong, I know in some situations it's his fault for holding onto the ball. But most times its that nursery school line that is killing him and our chances of winning a game. We cannot score over 17 points against anyone. If the defense plays better (see 90 yard drive in Detroit, stiff arm on Hall for a first down with Carolina, stopping the KC receiver (Bowe) from the endzone, or any other time that our "improved" defense should have made a play) our record would be better. We can play the "woulda-coulda-shoulda" game all day...but WE ARE WHO WE THOUGHT WE WERE (with this terrible o-line)We have a better chance of it snowing in July than the Skins being favored to win any remaining game this season. Even if we lose all of our remaining games and go 2-14, Snyderrato will still F Up the draft pick and chose a receiver, running back, cornerback, line backer and NOT A OFFENSIVE LINEMAN. Cerrato will say "we took the best available player" Gotta clean house and get rid of Cerrato...period...for any chance of a "decent" season next year. I'm officially off the soap box.

Posted by: UHATEME1 | November 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Campbell has to go. The OL gave him plenty of time...

Posted by: hock1 | November 9, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Not gonna get into a JC17 discussion, cause there are many better QB's out there, but that comment is just plain hilarious...

Posted by: mattylight | November 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 9, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The trouble is that we'd have to take him with a top 5 pick and I'd rather go with Okung. He won't get passed Seattle in the first round so if we trade down we won't get him. If we don't get Okung we should trade down and hope Spiller falls that far.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"... tackle Michael Oher a better pick in the 2009 draft. Oher was taken 23rd overall by the Baltimore Ravens." REDSKIN INSIDER

Here's the biggest irony about that. Genius marketing Guy danny didn't realize that Oher would have fulfillwd his biggest concern when obtaining players... He could havw sold a ton of jerseys.

My Lord, Danny, Oher is the topic of a SANDRA BULLOCK movie. He name is mentioned and his accomplishments featured every night in prime time during commercials, and "The Blind Side"
hasn't even been released yet.

Posted by: TheCork | November 9, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 9, 2009 10:27 AM

Does he think that SS is a better position for guys who are afraid to tackle?

Does Landry's fear of tackling date back to the time he got run over by Brandon Jacobs?

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

KC just cut LJ according to NFLtv.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 9, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News: Chiefs cut Larry Johnson.

I give it 2-1 odds that the Redskins pick him up. They always overreact when Portis goes down.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Chiefs will be cutting Larry Johnson
Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2009 10:23 AM ET
Chiefs running back Larry Johnson is scheduled to return from a one-game suspension today.

But since the Chiefs can't send him home with pay for the rest of the year, they're planning to simply send him home.

Per a league source, the Chiefs will be cutting Johnson today.

More details to come

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Can we all agree that left tackle, right tackle, center, and right guard are more needed than QB right now? This is hilarious though, these are the same comments popping up about Aaron Rodgers, Matt Cassel, Trent Edwards, and Jay Cutler.

[Blank] holds the ball too long
[Blank] isn't making his reads fast enough
[Blank] isn't stepping into his throws
[Blank] has happy feet

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

That's right Realness...I just heard about the LJ thing as well. Bring in LJ RIGHT NOW SNYDER....he can't possibly be any worse than CP!

Posted by: httr20081 | November 9, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

no thanks on lj, too much of a headache and not the right position either.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Or, trade LL, ARE, anybody else, and our 2nd round pick to Detroit for their 1st round pick, and take Okung AND Spiller. That would be DYNOMIIIIIIITE.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 9, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The worst thing about watching the terrible Redskins right now is the knowledge that F Dallas is in 1st place...salt in the wound...

Posted by: mattylight | November 9, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I would not say the offensive line played any better in the second half other than a handful of running plays. The team finally figured out they had to go shotgun more and roll the pocket. Campbell was fine after that. The 5 and 7 step drops werent effective in the first half because there were 2 or 3 defenders in the backfield by the time JC was even close to being finished with his drop. Hopefully they continue this into the upcoming games or else it will look more like the first half of this game for the rest of the year.

Posted by: vze2bnyf | November 9, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"Landry is disappointing...."

Well, his tackling technique leaves a lot to be desired.

Safety play is all about angles.

If a monster like Mike Turner is coming towards you with a seven to ten yard head start, you plant your body low at an angle, force him into a direction, and tackle him from the side.

If anything, you want to re-direct the runner back into the heart of the defense.

A smart safety knows he is the last line of defense and if he's afraid to tackle 'heads up,' then perhaps he should play closer to the line.

It's not complicated.

Unless, of course, you're afraid to tackle.

And in that case, you shouldn't be playing at all.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

LJ would be taking a step down to join this team. Move from a sucky Native American themed team to a really sucky Native American themed franchise. How much better? 8 points as of 10/18/2009

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Moe, my comment was meant to be sarcastic. Re-reading it, though, it just looks idiotic. Chalk it up to a case of the Mondays.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 10:30 AM

I think it'd be more likely that the second rounder gets traded down, particularly since they'd have a whole night to wheel and deal between round 1 and round 2. I'd get a pro bowl caliber LT in the first round, and a pro bowl caliber RG with the 2nd round pick. The skins need quality players on the OL. They only have backups now.

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Best thing that could happen this season is for the incredibly overpaid, gimpy, opinionated, big mouthed and overrated Portis to go down for the season. Get rid of this piece of garbage. I can't believe we gave up Champ Bailey for this chump. I hope one of the Broncos can lay out D. Hall and end his career as a Redskin. He's another cheap shot overpaid and incredibly overrated corner back. My team is going up in flames. I hate Snyder and Cerrato with a passion. I gave Hall the benefit of the doubt and he proved me wrong. He's garbage. Release him tomorrow. I hate my team so much right now. I want to scream.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 9, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"I suppose some could find encouraging signs from the unit's play after halftime."
-----------------------------------
So, other than that, Mrs. Lincoln; what did you think of the play?"

Posted by: InRealAmerica | November 9, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm more put off by Landry's attitude. He showboats after making a nice tackle on a 3rd down pitch play, but then butchers several other routine tackles. He never learns from his mistakes. Anyone else predict at least one "unnecessary roughness" penalty from him per game? The fact he keeps doing that either makes him dumb or not teachable. He's always out to make the big hit to get on the highlight reel -- which leads me to believe that he's in it for himself, but too often he leaves his team hanging out to dry...I don't want players like that on this team, so I don't care what you can get for him, get him out of here...

Posted by: mattylight | November 9, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"I think if we don't draft CJ Spiller it will haunt us much like Landry over Peterson is haunting us now...."

Spiller is a great speed guy.

But let's say we don't get him.

Would you cry in your beer if the skins took Russell Okung (1st round)to play right tackle and Marvin Pouncey (2nd round) from UF to play center?

I wouldn't.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking that if we got a right tackle in the second round that BMW would be able to move to guard. I think he would be pretty good there especially in run plays. The only trouble is that he may be a little tall to play guard. He might get stood up and pushed back by the more stout defensive tackles.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

(Based on the scrum in the 2nd quarter)

Number of players who have DHall's back: 0

Telling?

Posted by: mattylight | November 9, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I meant Mike Pouncey.

And he's a junior.

If you watch Florida, Pouncey gets a heck of a push against whomever is playing over him.

It's not all Tebow: the interior line play headed by the Pouncey brothers is very good.

Pouncey looks like he'll make a good NFL center if he comes out this year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I got your sarcasm etrod. Sarcastic people catch onto the sarcasm of others for the most part. If you laughed at

(FIRE)VINNY'S

comments about not being able to have a p-bowler backing up a p-bowler you get the humor.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

no thanks on lj, too much of a headache and not the right position either.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 10:38 AM

Agreed. But we didn't need Shaun Alexander or T.J. Duckett either. Didn't stop the Skins from blowing picks and/or a roster spot on either of those scabs.

I don't put anything past Snyder anymore...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Moe - I wouldn't cry, no... but I also really wouldn't cry if we got Okung AND Spiller!

Detroit wants to trade their first rounder.

LL, ARE, Betts, our 2nd rounder?

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 9, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

First time I ever used this:

I heart Norv.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

(Based on the scrum in the 2nd quarter)

Number of players who have DHall's back: 0

Telling?

Posted by: mattylight | November 9, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I thought a few guys went over there when they realized he was caught up, just didn't happen right away.

I think Mike Smith and their other coach trying to fight D. Hall was more telling.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 9, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Why not go after Johnson. If he is cut, then he just costs money. If the line can't pass block, play to that.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 9, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

hasn't even been released yet.

Posted by: TheCork | November 9, 2009 10:30 AM |
------------------------------------

That's right. Also, if the Skins had drafted him, Tom Cruise could have played Oher in the movie. He's a very versatile actor.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 9, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

LJ is due over @ Mil for the rest of the season.....

Like DHall last year, no one will pick him up with his current contract. He has to pass through waivers 1st.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Draft talk? Seriously? I mean, not only is it waaayyy early, but there are seriously a bazillion variables (time wise, other team wise, college games left to play wise, countless others) to have any idea of how its going to be. I mean, even the day of the draft, its highly unpredictable. Even after teams draft, its unpredictable how their picks will pan out...

I will agree that OL better F'in be the focus of the draft and offseason for that matter whomever is calling the shots.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

check this out...better running =better pass protection...hmmmm Betts able to get 4-6 yards per carry all of a sudden passing game opens up, Portis 1-2 yards = no respect, Portis is a lazy a$$ who does not work hard period. Keep him out for a week or two maybe makes this turkey work a little harder.

Posted by: gwjuniors | November 9, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The sight of Landry Posing with his arms crossed in front of his chest like a thug after making a 3rd down tackle, was sickening to me. That's his problem, he wants all the attention when he gets his occasional big hit, and sacrifices the team in the meantime. We had 2 DBs that wanted absolutely no part of Turner in the open field, Landry and Hall. Of course Turner has legs like tree trunks. Somebody has to coach these guys up or get them out of the game. Maybe London Fletcher can give them some seminars about tackling. Jerry Gray and DHall spend way too much time in front of the microphone instead of doing their jobs.

Posted by: VegasJim | November 9, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

alex,

We finally agree on something.

I would sign LJ in a heartbeat. He'd come cheap, and he may just have one or two good years left in him (if and when we ever get a decent O-line).

Portis is done, I think. Whether it was too many carries in Gibbs offense or too much money from Snyder, or a combination of both, he just doesn't seem to hit the hole with any authority any more.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 9, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's get LJ and put him at right tackle!

Posted by: dpc2003 | November 9, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 9, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I thought we only had 5 million before we signed Levi Jones. I wonder what we have now. I doubt we can afford LJ.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 9, 2009 10:46 AM |

I really don't get why people get so mean spirited with their opinions of the players. I wish no ill to Portis, LL, JC or anyone else. It may be time to move with these guys because they aren't producing on the field, but that fact doesn't warrant some of the venom some of you have for these guys. None of these guys have done anything socially irresponsible. Most have played hard and at times very well. Their time here didn't produce much winning, but that to me doesn't make a person garbage or a chump.

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 9, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I heard the reason Vinny and Danny didnt draft Oher was because he refused to compete in a "couch leap" competition at a pre-draft team workout. I mean obviously if you cant do "couch leaps" you cant play OL for this team.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

-Offensive line play is still horrible and the offensive tackles are beaten up. It is time to cut the punter and sign an offensive tackle. LJ needs to be thrust into the starting lineup. The offense needs to be tailored to more production. Atlanta was getting pressure at will yesterday. Start with the philosophy of "first, we have to protect the quarterback" and work on devising a game plan that supports that philosophy.

-The defense is asking LL to do too much and putting too much pressure on him to make the big play. Scale back. I think some two deep zone would be nice to roll into the package because the corners are constantly playing off and giving up the underneath stuff. Having two safeties deep might help when a running back breaks through the linebackers as well.

-Orakpo is a defensive end. It is time to anchor him into that spot and let him develop. I would move he and Haynesworth around more to create confusion in blocking schemes. Let Blades play strong side backer.

-Whether or not Betts is better than Portis is moot. I think the guys are willing to block for Betts and he is a brown bagger that practices every day. To me, it's a no brainer to go to Betts as the primary back.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 10:43 AM

Right...because a team is only as good as its logo. That was a mind-numbingly stupid remark.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Replace @ with 2. I meant to say 2 Mil

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, let's get LJ and put him at right tackle!

Posted by: dpc2003 | November 9, 2009 11:06 AM

Makes about as much sense as signing Mike Williams...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Well if we can work the money out I say go for it. Johnson/Betts sounds better to me then Rock/Betts.

Cut that slow kid RB we got. Go with a platoon of washed up and never-was's

Posted by: alex35332 | November 9, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

makes this turkey work a little harder.

Lol. You called him a "turkey". My grandma says that. Funny. CP, someone wants to eat you up for T-giving din-din!!! Look out Dr. Do Eat Big!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I see Larry Johnson going to Seattle. Didn't they cut Edgerrin James a week ago? They have an opening for a bruising running back.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 10:43 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I was kinda joking.... So Im gona pretend I didnt read your comment, cuz it was mind numbingly mis placed.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Bench Campbell

Start Cerrato!

Come on Dan, it would be the only move that would make the skins worth watching for the rest of this miserble season. You could even keep the stupid sign ban.

Think about it, Vinny could experience the fruits of his drafting ineptitude first hand. And we get the delicious joy of watching him get pounded in the turf 10-12 times a game.
Its a win-win for all.

Bench Campbell, Start Cerrato!

Posted by: Predator48 | November 9, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe there's still some Betts haters here despite his performance yesterday. The only thing he can't do as well or better than Portis is blocking. That's it. That's the list. I hope he starts the rest of the season.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

TWISI another example of a rose colored glass wearing buffoon. Is Larry Michael your idol? Wake up to reality. The Redskins are dollar for dollar the worse team in the NFL. D. Hall is Garbage, Landry is a Thug Wanna Be Chump who deserves to be laid out by the opposing team, Al Haynesworth is a bloated, over paid, half a game playing primadonna, Fred Davis is a joke who can't catch the swine flu in a pig pen or block to save his life, Portis is a backstabbing loser who was a product of great O-lines in Denver, shall I go on?

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 9, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

That was a mind-numbingly stupid remark.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:08 AM

"Doctor, the patient's mind is numb now. You may proceed with the lobotomy."

brownwood, If stupid remarks could numb your mind then all of us regulars would be permanently as concussed as CP. Betts would be up here posting for us.

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Bruising? Like bruising running between the tackles? Or makes bruising, offensive comments like a used up, on his way out of the league RB who is crying for attention on a bad team?

F LJ. Unless he can play OL. Guess what, he cant.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:17 AM

Right, and it would probably be an upgrade if they played him on defense instead of Landry.

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

CP continues to quit on this team. It is a problem when the highest paid player is a slacker. It runs through the team

Posted by: jtrob_1 | November 9, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

natsfan, might be time for your meds....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Bench Campbell, Start Cerrato!

Posted by: Predator48 | November 9, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I smell a Vince Macmahon PPV event in the making. I would totally buy that!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

F LJ. Unless he can play OL. Guess what, he cant.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz
------------------------------------------
Stop, stop! You're making my mind numb again!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I smell a Vince Macmahon PPV event in the making. I would totally buy that!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I'd buy it!! If vinny could still count to potato after that then he'd draft some fat guys this winter.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:15 AM

Touche, dude. Touche.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

JC17 has played behind some good lines and still stunk out the joint. He has also played behind some not so great lines and still stunk out the joint.

As thoughtfully detailed in the nice little eulogy on JC17's career to date in Sunday's WAPO, he has never played up to his so-called potential -- and I also suspect that the he would have been long gone already if the front office and coaching staff weren't so obsessed with trying to recover some of the sunk costs they've wasted on this former first round pick.

I also suspect that the Redskins could surround this complete loser with a few Mount Rushmore sized linemen and he'd still a new excuse or alibi every week for his failure to get it done.

The dude is a loser, pure and simple -- and the sooner he is gone, the better!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 9, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Players making routine catches and tackles, then posing as if they'd won the Superbowl is stupid. Moss and his first down sign, LL and his self-hug, come to mind. It has grown in recent years and I think it's time to end it.
I think a celebration (short one) after scoring a TD is a different story, especially if it includes other memeber of your team. It is a team game afterall. Still the No Fun League would not allow it. :(

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | November 9, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Let's not blast Portis too much. He's beaten up running behind a horrible line. Michael Turner consistently has holes to run through while Portis rarely does. A O-Line COMPLETELY determines how well you can run and pass the ball. Any of those who didn't watch yesterday's game, should look at the tape. JC couldn't even take a 3-step drop with out getting hit or hurried. That was pointed out consistently by Moose Johnson, but Campbell kept coming back and made some plays that got the Skins back in the game.

As for the defense, Blatche isn't using the players at their best positions. Landry is terrible as a free safety as he takes poor angles to the ball and isn't a fundamentally sound tackler. Doughty would be a better fit at FS even if he isn't as fast just based on his tackling ability. You can blame Landry for both Jackson's TD on the reverse last week and on Turner's 2nd long TD run when Landry made a horrible effort....he's someone who needs to be either benched or moved to his natural position. Same goes for D. Hall - I'd rather lose with Tryon or Smoot who at least aren't afraid to make a tackle.

I love Orakpo and would have him on the D-Line every play. He's not an outside linebacker and would help the team more at end. Have Carter rotate rushing and passing downs with Daniels on the left side. Golston should be playing ahead of Griffin at this point in the season.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 9, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

natsfan007 I guess my interpretation of what makes someone garbage is different than yours. We're talking about two different things. Anywho you're entitled to your opinion, however misplaced it is.

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see Kareem Moore at FS. Whether they move Laron to SS or keep Horton there. The team has too much talent at this position, (Doughty, Horton, Moore, Laron) they need to turn some of it into draft picks or talent at a position of need (OL). Laron plays undisciplined like the rest of this team. With a hard nosed HC or DC and a move to his natural position, the one he was drafted to play, he can be a force on this team.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Let's not blast Portis too much. He's beaten up running behind a horrible line.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 9, 2009 11:29 AM

Isn't it the same line that Betts was running behind and shredding the Falcons?

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

can you imagine how good this team could have been with G.Williams as HC and Zorn as Offensive Coordinator for the past 2 years? Grilliams woulda kicked some a$$ during halftime all season, and would have NEVER let this team get out of hand to this extent. all it takes is a coach that is accountable, and a coach that can get in the face of these players without hesitation.

Posted by: kman2 | November 9, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 11:19 AM

Right. Because defense is this team's problem. I'm sure it's got nothing to do with the fact that they max out at 17 points. Or field an offensive line that could only be worse if they started the wheelchair basketball team at the local YMCA. Nope. It's the defense.

Landry's a clown, but he's nowhere near the biggest problem on this team.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Chiefs officially cut L.J.
Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2009 10:38 AM ET
As reported first right here, the Chiefs have officially cut running back Larry Johnson.

Here's the full text of the release: "The Kansas City Chiefs released RB Larry Johnson on Monday. In 75 games (55 starts) with Kansas City, Johnson rushed 1,375 times for 5,996 yards (4.4 avg.) with 55 touchdowns. He also registered 151 receptions for 1,369 yards (9.1 avg.) with six TDs. He concluded his Chiefs career with 30 100-yard rushing games and also added two 100-yard receiving games.

"Johnson established an NFL single-season record with 416 rushing attempts in 2006 when he set a franchise single-season mark with 1,789 rushing yards. He originally entered the league as the Chiefs first-round selection (27th overall) in the 2003 NFL Draft out of Penn State."

As previously explained, he'll now be exposed to waivers. But unless someone wants to absorb his prorated $4.55 million base salary and $60,000-plus per-game roster bonus, he'll clear waivers and become an unrestricted free agent.

Johnson also will be entitled to collect the balance of his base salary as termination pay -- and to keep any money he makes if someone else signs him.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
if he clears waivers sign him, do not take on that contract otherwise

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 9, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The dude is a loser, pure and simple -- and the sooner he is gone, the better!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 9, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

This is wrong. JC is the best QB we have and he's the best QB on the free agent market. That means that you advocate replacing him with a top 5 draft pick. There are no QBs worthy of a top 5 pick. You are saying that we will be better off taking a QB than a Left Tackle. That's the problem. Without a left tackle any QB we draft is going to get beat up and will not develop properly. You need to protect your investment. You take the left tackle first, then when you have protection you take the QB. The sooner we fix the line the better. People like you just need to realize that this team is not 1 or 2 players away. A QB is not going to make this team a contender. We need to fix this team over the course of about 2-3 years. That all starts with offensive line. With a good offensive line an average QB will look good i.e. Jay Cutler. In fact, I'd fix the offensive line and draft a RB before I got a new QB. You need to put a new QB in a position to succeeed. You want him worrying about reading the defense and timing his throws, not worrying about the blindside rusher that's about to decleat him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I just laugh every Sunday watching Campbell get pounded into the ground, overthrowing wide open wideouts, ignoring wide open wideouts, running for his life. Portis being stopped for no gain every other play. Haynesworth grimacing on his back on the field or on his knees on the sideline. Landry missing tackles left and right. D. Hall making two handed touch football tackles. Mike "The Human Turnstile" Williams standing there with a confused "Which Way Did He Go" Look on his face. The rose colored glasses are off my friend. Welcome to football purgatory!

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 9, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kman2 | November 9, 2009 11:33 AM

Actually, no I can't. Because Greggggg would have kept Al Saunders as the O-coordinator. That was part of the reason he didn't get the job.

The Skins won't win another game. I'm just waiting for the offseason to see what new and exciting way Snyder comes up with to embarrass this once proud franchise. My guess is he'll hire Bruce Allen as GM and exhume the body of George Allen to coach the team, while Danny calls plays from the owner's box. I mean, he's obviously OK with the whole figure-head coach arrangement...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. 9mm here, he's the Shepard protecting my righteous ass in the Valley of Darkness. Or, it could mean: you're the righteous man, and I'm the Shepard, and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that, but that sh** ain't the truth. The truth is: you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men. But, I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the Shepard.

Posted by: natsfan007 | November 9, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"JC is the best QB we have and he's the best QB on the free agent market."

---

WHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHAAAA!!!!! (Thanks for the laugh!!)

Posted by: Vic1 | November 9, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Redskins will win out and go 10-6 and reach the playoffs. Ok everyone needed a good laugh.

I do think we'll beat Denver though. They're coming off a short week, we're coming off 1 game in 3 weeks. Team from out west playing in east at 1:00. Plus the fact that they have been playing over their heads and we are desperate for a win. All signs point to a Redskins victory on Sunday.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 9, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

The post-game question by Sonny would be this.

"So Vinny, now that you're in traction, do you still feel this is a play-off roster?"

Bench Snyder, Start Cerrato!

Posted by: Predator48 | November 9, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree that oline is by far the most pressing need on the roster, but to say there is no QB that is top 5 worthy this season is ridiculous, this may go down as one of the deepest drafts ever for QB talent if some of the juniors come out. You're talking about a draft with potentially Locker, Bradford, McCoy, Tebow, Pike, Lefevour, Keenum, Clausen, and Randolph all available. This year there are going to be QBs going in the second round that any other year would be high first round picks. I hope we take Okung or Trent Williams first and then draft a QB in round 2. Personally, I think Case Keenum, Zac Randolph, and/or Tony Pike will all be there and I would be happy with any of them. A starter at RG and RT can be found in FA and then next year we draft another tackle high. We must invest one high pick (rounds 1 and 2) a year on the oline for the next 3 years minimum. I agree with your sentiment but don't try and say its because there is no worthy QB talent in this draft.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 9, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

natsfan, might be time for your meds....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 11:20 AM

Seriously...tell me how AH sucks so bad this year with Orakpo and Carter over 5 sacks a piece, when was the last time that happened.

If we draft a QB with our pick, we should just hit replay for the next 3 years as our OL will continue to kill the next QB

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

LJ? Really? I don't think so. Where is all the love for another washed up malcontent coming from? You've got to be kidding me. I'll stick with Betts and Cartwright for the rest of the season. Thanks

Posted by: ga8085 | November 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

The dude is a loser, pure and simple -- and the sooner he is gone, the better!

-----------------------------------------

This dude has won everywhere he has been with the exception of here!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | November 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If, I'm the Commish, or head of the player's union, I'd do something to force the skins to forfeit the rest of their upcoming games. At least until they can prove that they can put together a formidable line that is of pro football caliber.

JC and TC will get killed back there before the season ends, all things being equal. Another alternative is to fine Vinny Cerrato for every sack a Redskin QB takes for being so stupid in not addressing the o-line during the draft and off-season. It is a complete embarrassment to see Campbell running for his life as soon as the ball hits his hands from the center. That is not professional football.

Posted by: clark202 | November 9, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | November 9, 2009 9:35 AM

If he played for a solid team like the Steelers (whose defense actually scores TDs), he would have a winning record an be treated like a legenday comeback king.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Keeping JC next year might be a good idea. It might be hard to see the positives of such a move right now, but they do exist.
If theres no CBA, JC is a restricted FA which means the Skins have pretty much total control over him. If they can get him signed at a reasonable contract, he at least can be in a QB competition and/or add depth while the team focuses on drafting/signing OL. And if a team offers him a contract, the Skins can get draft pick compensation for him Im thinking. Right?

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Because defense is this team's problem.

Landry's a clown, but he's nowhere near the biggest problem on this team.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 11:33 AM

It was yesterday when it gave up 31 points.

Biggest problem is playing Orakpo at SLB, right?

Look, brownwood, there are plenty of problems to be fixed on this team, not just the biggest one.

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

" ...my comment was meant to be sarcastic..."

It's hard to perceive humor when your team is as down as the redskins are.

You spend a small fortune on the Sunday Ticket to catch their out-of-market games, and you find more pleasure watching some other team's out-of-market-game than the one you're paying to see.

Other teams have collections of no-name players making plays while the mid-level stars on the redskins stink like the fabled jock strap Larry Holmes claimed Rocky Marciano couldn't carry.

We got eight weeks of pain left followed by an offseason of watching the wrong moves get made all over again.

And then there's the woulda, coulda, shoulda game in the NFC East.

The cowboys are playing well and the skins are drowning down in one.

The jints are sinking like our hopes.

The menopausal iggles are hot one week and cold the next.

Had the right things been done, the NFC East would be ripe for the taking.

The great moves we all would like to see won't happen unless the one move we'd all like to see--Vinny's firing--happens.

There is nothing to be happy about in redskinland.

So in the face of football futility humor has no utility.

I'll take my stinky jock strap and go now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

any deal that any team would take from us would be better for them than us, so we shouldn't take it. we are totally hamstrung.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I like Pike for QB if we can get him in the 3rd round, I have seen him play alot, since I live in Cincy. Big kid, strong arm, really quick release and he is very mobile. He would need some work adjusting to defense, but I do like his arm alot. I think we might be able to get him later, due to the fact that the backup is killing it, so they might shelve PIKE for rest of season

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 9, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17
---------------------------

If you're in the camp that says drafting a QB is stupid because they'll die behind our line, and I think you are in that camp... then why would you want to take Spiller, even late in round 1. I know RB are more durable, but they're still not invincible. Why get this guy Spiller instead of the best O-line you can get, at any draft position in the first couple of rounds?

All I see is pain if we draft anything but a starting left tackle.

Posted by: REXskins | November 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

If any other team offers JC a contract, I would hope that the Redskins won't match it. That's just plain stupid. Just let him go... and quickly too please.

To paraphrase the great Henny Youngman,
"Now, take my wife.... please!!!"

Posted by: Vic1 | November 9, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | November 9, 2009 9:35 AM

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2009 11:49 AM

Prove it.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 9, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

FACT: Marko Mitchell wants it more than Kelly, Thomas, or Davis combined. He deserves more playing time.

FACT: Betts is who we thought he was, provided we feed him the ball. Bench Portis until is fully 100%.

FACT: Yoder needs more involvement in the offense. He's a huge target with great hands.

FACT: We stand a better chance on D by lining up 8 guys on the line and blitzing than with 11 (Rogers, Hall, and LL) in the game.

Posted by: clark202 | November 9, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 9, 2009 11:46 AM

I don't know anything about their QB skills, but I'd go with Case Keenum or Zac Randolph because their names sound like real QB's. Their parents knew what they were doing when they chose those names.

Tony Pike sounds like the road to a pizzeria that's only a little bit better than Domino's.

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

So in the face of football futility humor has no utility.

I'll take my stinky jock strap and go now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, humor helps me cope with all the negativity. If you cant laugh at this debacle from time to time, it may consume you. And thats not a good thing.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

zjfr2 I think you may be overestimating the QB class. I've been reading up on them, and guys like Tebow, Pike, Lefevour, Keenum, Randolph have some major flags on them, like not being accurate, or not having a pro arm. Now with Bradford's injury I think only Clausen, Locker are in the top 10 talk (Locker needs another year in college IMO). I think the depth in QB class is there, but I don't think there are many elite talent in this class. 2-3 years when the QBs from Michagan, USC, Stanford are coming out, that's when I'd go all in for QB.

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

WHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHAAAA!!!!! (Thanks for the laugh!!)

Posted by: Vic1 | November 9, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Who is better? Did you even look at the list? Most websites have Campbell listed at #1 or #2 behind Kyle Orton. Orton will be resigned so that leaves JC.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | November 9, 2009 9:35 AM

Posted by: Alan4
------------------------------------------
If you were on your meds the sky would be blue and not pink, but there is another if from fantasy land. How can you keep defending Campbell? Are these paid endorsements?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 9, 2009 11:54 AM

What type of O do they play?

Posted by: Realness1 | November 9, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo was the right pick at 13, Oher was not. They did that much right. Drafting O-line wasn't a big deal this year.

It was a big deal the year before!!!

Orakpo was a good pick, the right pick in fact. Kelly, Thomas, and Davis were bad picks. Two of them should have been oline.

Posted by: lordtwang | November 9, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Can we STOP talking about the Redskins for a moment.

What's up with all this news about the deer jumping into the lions' den? To me, that's one of the most funniest things I've ever heard of.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

All I see is pain if we draft anything but a starting left tackle.

Posted by: REXskins | November 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The reaosn I'd take Spiller is to move into a true WCO. West Coast offensive linemen are typically smaller , more athletic, and most importantly still available in the later rounds. This would also incluse grabbing an athletic left tackle in the second round and an athletic right tackle in the 4th. JC would get killed but the next year I'd take Christian Ponder. I think Ponder would be excellent in that system.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 11:50 AM

Agreed.

But the mentality of "fix the defense" when the offense is a complete debacle is insane. If you put the current defense with even a middle-of-the-road offense, this team is 4-4 at worst. I don't condone it, but I understand how the defense quits.

Get an offensive line, a QB, a consistent pass rush and THEN talk to me about changing the safety. That's the heart of what I'm saying.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 9, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | November 9, 2009 9:35 AM

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2009 11:49 AM

Prove it.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 9, 2009 11:57 AM |

I know you are, but what am I!? Seriously, there's no way to prove my claim except to put JC on the Steelers.

But my claim seems a bit less dubious than yours.

Can you prove his 107.9 QB rating came exclusively against prevent defenses? Did every team this year really leave their normal defensive formations and go exclusively to a prevent defense for the *entire 2nd half* in every game all year?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse
============================================
Having JC come back to play behind this line is cruel and unusual punishment. Let the man go, out of human decency, he deserves to live. Let's put up a Kings wage and get Romo. That way with Romo back there in a wired, sick, and twisted way, we wouldn't feel bad that "our" QB is getting killed, he11 it'll give us something to cheer about for 16 weeks.

Posted by: clark202 | November 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Kelly, Thomas, and Davis were bad picks. Two of them should have been oline.

Posted by: lordtwang | November 9, 2009 12:01 PM

And the other one of them should have been Deshawn Jackson. Oooh, my hindsight is the best. Wanna hear me go on about Landry and Adrian Peterson?

Posted by: League-Source | November 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Today's Best Headline:

"NFL Star Lawrence Taylor Arrested in Fla. Crash"

It seems that Lawrence Taylor, an admitted cocaine addict, had trouble following the white line that marked the center of the road.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

deangelo hall's missed tackles have overtaken carlos rogers' missed interceptions in the category of what makes me want to throw up the most

Posted by: goose33 | November 9, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

DHall missing tackles in the secondary on receivers is worthy of criticism.

DHall missing tackles on Turner is another thing.

It is flat out pathetic that we are relying on a CB to come up and make the tackle on a RB in the first place.

The fact that Turner was getting through our linemen and LBs with a head of steam is the real problem.

Posted by: p1funk | November 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"if he clears waivers sign him, do not take on that contract otherwise"

man, u don't sign this bum. He's another example of a player the redskins would take, given his attitude and poor play on the field. I'm glad to see the chiefs cut this punk, now he can try and be cakin somewhere else, but not here in DC hopefully. He's gettin blown over by d-lineman this year, no heart, all about the benjamins. He'd fit right in wouldn't he

Posted by: Skins281 | November 9, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 12:06 PM |

Thats cuz that white line wasnt on a football field or cut up with a razor

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 9, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"if he clears waivers sign him, do not take on that contract otherwise"

Posted by: Skins281 | November 9, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"i'd venture to guess that maybe a 3rd round pick for him would be about what to expect....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 10:08 AM"

Beantown,

You find me a team DUMB enough to give the Skins a third round pick for Landry, I will PERSONALLY drive him there in a STRETCH Humvee AND I will pay for sandwiches and gas out of my own pocket to make sure he gets there safely and well fed.

TM

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 9, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Can we STOP talking about the Redskins for a moment.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm from PA the deer up here jump out in front of 18 wheelers on a daily basis. Why would they be afraid of a Lion? A Lion doesn't even have headlights.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Clinton Portis wasn't in the locker room this morning. Neither was Chris Horton.

Portis' fellow running back, Rock Cartwright, said that the starter was doing OK on the way home from Atlanta last night. However, the Redskins will be careful because Portis has a concussion. Wonder how much CP wants to play Sunday against his old team, Denver.

Horton texted fellow safety Kareem Moore that he couldn't walk this morning because of the toe he injured on his left foot against the Falcons.

Neither offensive tackle Mike Williams nor quarterback Jason Campbell, who injured ankles, were in the locker room either. Campbell, who also bruised his chest, finished the game. Williams didn't.

Safety Reed Doughty said his right knee was just bruised and he'll be fine this week.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Trade Clinton for a 3rd.
Trade JC to Carolina for a 4th.

Take CJ Spiller with first pick.
Take O-lineman with remaining picks.
Colt/Chase/Todd starts for one year until we can draft a franchise QB.

That is all.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 9, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I am in full agreement regarding stocking up on picks.

But we are the only team in the league that would be dumb enough to give up a 3rd round pick for CP. And since we already have CP we can't do that.

Maybe we fetch a low to mid-round pick for JC17.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Carlos Rogers status, but if we can ship him off in a trade for a pick, I say do it.

Trade Montgomery for a pick.

Trade Laron Landry for a pick...yeah I said it. Trade him. We would do just as well rotating Horton, Moore and Doughty at safety, and I think some team out there would cough up a decent pick and try to salvage him.

Stock up on mid-low round picks and draft a bunch of O-linemen.

Posted by: p1funk | November 9, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"Betts supplies a boost the offense needed"

where has he been for the first 7 games, why don't Betts and Rock get more carries on a weekly basis?

Portis should get 15-20 Betts 5-10 and Rock 3-5

We've let all 3 guys waste away.

That poll was incredibly unfair should Portis play next week? where is the (if cleared by the medical staff option)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

no matter what player we trade for what draft pick with Danny and Vinny making the calls = failure

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

This from ESPN's Matt Mosley:

"You'll be excited to know that I'm writing a story this week about how to fix the Redskins."

Dude, I'm stoked. This will be required reading for all of us.

Posted by: GasFace | November 9, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 9, 2009 11:59 AM

It's not a defense, it's a reality check. This team is awful. Campbell is mediocre, but the Skins have won big with medicore before. The key was to have a better TEAM, like the Steelers do.

Remember how Mediocre Leftwich ate the Skins up when he played for the Steelers last year?

Remember how Matt Cassel was 6-2 with the Patriots last year, but is now 1-7 with the Chiefs?

Remember how Bret Favre threw 22 TDs and 22 INTs last year with the Jets, but he's having an All Pro year with the Vikings this year?

Better teams make a difference.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

We've let all 3 guys waste away

Don't stop at Betts....Jarmon, Wilson, Kelly, DT, Davis, Yoder...I mean its mind-boggling....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202 | November 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes its best to not say anything at all... Im going to take my own advice. Please take some too clark202. Theres plenty enough for ya.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

PASkins....

Here you go..

Deer entered the NAtional Zoo...and the crowd started cheering like they were in Ancient Rome.....Or at one of Mike Vick's Dog Fight

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 9, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Trade Montgomery for a pick.

Trade Laron Landry for a pick...

Posted by: p1funk | November 9, 2009 12:14 PM |

Nobody is interested in any of these duds. You would practically have to give them away if you wanted to offload them.

Posted by: GasFace | November 9, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

no credible coach will take the reigns of Snyders horse.

Only options, as I see it (I've been wrong before), Zorn, Jerry Gray, Sherm Smith, Sherm Lewis.

Collins will retire, so even if you draft a QB and/or bring in a FA QB we will need Campbell to compete for the starting job.

They tried to get Sanchez and Cutler and failed. They will try to get a big name or up and coming coach and will fail.

Zorn and Campbell

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 9, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"The unit did not give up a sack in the second half and opened holes in the running game for back Ladell Betts, who ran hard after Clinton Portis left the game because of a concussion."

Ugh. There's that schpiel again.

The Falcons were up 24-3 and were sleep-walking through the game.

Then, as usual once the game is already out of reach, JC17 and the boys put together some brilliant stat-padding TD drive.

But I will admit, few offenses in the league look as solid as ours playing against half-arsed defenses that are protecting big leads...

Posted by: p1funk | November 9, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I just love how posters on here act like they can trade players so easily ala Madden. Give me a break, Portis for a 3rd? Trade away this player and that player who are subpar at best but yet people think that besides the Skins and Raiders, there are teams out there that for some reason don't value their draft picks. Stop, please. Before it was trade Randle El, trade Betts, etc. Now it goes to Portis, JC, etc. Chances are none of these things will happen, especially since the FO never trades for value.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 9, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Better teams make a difference.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

The other thing is that your entire team isn't tied to 1 player's performance. If your QB has a crappy day you can still win. Of course we want a better QB but a reasonable evaluation will tell you that we are better off taking an offensive tackle.

1. A busted tackle can become a great guard.

2. A tackle can replace a guy that can be used in another spot on the line. Okung could replace Heyer at Left tackle. Heyer could replace BMW at right tackle and BMW could replace Will Montgomery at right guard. That upgrades 3 positions with 1 draft pick.

3. The odds of a tackle busting are much lower than the odds of a QB busting.

4. There is only 1 QB slated as a top 5 pick and it's Jimmy Clausen. Do you really want to use a top 5 pick on a Notre Dame QB?

5. Heyer is terrible at left tackle while JC is mediocre at QB.

Build the better team now and get the QB when you can afford that luxury.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 9, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

@PAskins: I agree the comments are ridiculous about Rogers, Cutler and Cassels. Edwards is terrrrrrrible. My wife is an avid Bills fan and when we watch the games, he makes me cringe. Her father would love a trade for Campbell, absolutely love it.

Campbell may not be great, but he's a hell of a lot better than Edwards.

Posted by: AppleScience | November 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams out for 2-4 weeks.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GasFace | November 9, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

That's why I said we could stockpile some "low-mid round" picks...it's not like I was expecting a bunch of first rounders in return.

Posted by: p1funk | November 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

We've let all 3 guys waste away

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

BT Greg, Its painfully obvious that this team doesnt start players (or even activate guys) based on who will help the team win. It seems to be politics btw

(FIRE) VINNY!!!

Zorn, Blache and probably Snyder. And I dont think this started with the castration of Zorn from play calling/being the HC of this team other than in title. Its seems to be based on whose getting paid the big bucks, who cost this team draft picks, etc, etc... Not the way to run a team. This is so F'd up from the top on down... its not going to be fixed overnight. Hiring a GM with total control seems the only way to go from here. That and getting Vinny the F outta here.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 9, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Funny how JReid says he's done writing about the OL. Its the #1 story of this team on the field.

He'll be back ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 9, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 9, 2009 12:26 PM

Maybe that's because they get to practice against a half-arsed defense routinely every week.

I've had 3 different through processes about our defense now.

1. What was Vinny thinking, picking up Orakpo, Jarmon, Haynesworth and Hall and ignoring the O-line?

2. It's a good think Vinny collected those expensive defensive playmakers, because our defense sucks WITH them! We'd have the worst defense in the league without them.

3. Tony Dungy is right: we need more of a *team* concept. Getting "better players" doesn't always mean better results. This team has actually gotten worse by "fixing" things that don't need fixing and ignoring the most obvious problem areas which don't happen to be glamor positions.

Posted by: Alan4 | November 9, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The answer is not to trade people all the time but put them in the place to win.

Laron is not a free safety, just put him back at SS and try and develop Kareem Moore or sign a FS next offseason.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | November 9, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Genius post.

I haven't seen Pike play, but the word on him is good.

There will be a number of quarterbacks who'll be great to slurp up high in the second round (like the injured Sam Bradford or FSU's Chris Ponder who looks very good).

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 9, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

On a side note...

I found it pretty funny how Mike Smith went on the record saying that he was "trying to restore order" on the sideline w/ that fracas involving DHall...

Posted by: p1funk | November 9, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I think there is no reason to trade Monty...he will play next year when we get rid of Griffin and Daniels. I hope that Daniels stays on to help coach the Dline.

I like the thought of Orakpo/ Wilson, AH, Gholston/ Monty, Carter/ Jarmon as the basis for our Dline rotation, that would be pretty sick, IMO.

I do agree with trading Portis, Moss, ARE, Landry, Cooley or F. Davis, etc.

I am not sure anyone would take any of them, but it would be worth a shot.

Like I said earlier, if we could unload a couple and a pick for Detroit's first that would be nice. We have to do something, cuz the Gints and Iggles both have a ton of picks to restock.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 9, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Someone asked earlier what type of Offense UC runs with Pike:

Well as coach Kelly says it's a "coast to coast offense" he kind of tailors it to his qb. With collaros they run more zone read type stuff to use his running ability but when pike plays they go vertical and can move the pocket since he throws so well on the run. If the Skins could get him in the 2nd or 3rd that would be huge. Mel Kiper has him as a first round talent with a gun. He throws a really catchable ball and can put it on the money in stride anywhere. If he can put on some more weight I think he will be a lot like Big Ben in the pros...good pocket presence with a gun for a right arm and can understand the offense well.

On a side note, If we could somehow land Brian Kelly in the pros to run the offense, it would be fun to watch...guy is a offensive genius. I would be surprised if Notre Dame doesnt take a run at him.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

IF, and I do mean if, the next draft is soo loaded with QB's, draft a Left tackle in the first where you are more likely to be right and then draft a QB in the 2nd where the much likelier possibility of failure isn't quite so damning.

Besides, if no QB is in the draft worth a 2nd round grade, you get another lineman and let Campbell/Brennan play.

Build the line. This is a multi-year rebuilding project. Anything else is just lying to the fans.

Posted by: AppleScience | November 9, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

bad news beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 9, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

horton out 4-6 weeks, may be IR bound, BMW out 2-4 weeks, Levi Jones starting at left tackle, Heyer back to RT, Portis most likely out this week and officially the skins are discussing signing larry johnson.....all updates from espn 980

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 9, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I actually really hope that someone comes in and gets rid of all 3 QB's, I think they all suck, Brennan included...never quite understand the cult status with a back up with a poor throwing motion. F'N side arm, REALLY and he is going to be our franchise Savior.

If we could get a OL/ RB/ QB/ LB and a speedster for KR in this draft, that would be great, but it will take a GM with some creativity and friends throughout the league.

Then in FA if we can get 2 more OL/ LB/ DB we would be on a great start to rebuilding, no one over the age of 27.

Then I want ... wish list are awesome.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 9, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Bunch of Dan Synder's always want to 'blow it up'.
No wonder this team doesn't have an atmosphere of stability. The fan base is just like the ownership, a bunch of brats that want everything now. Always admiring the next guys grass will lead you a long way away from home. That's where this team and the fans are, looking for answers outside when like most issues the solution is internal.
Ask yourself, who is a real redskin on this team? Who exemplifies what a redskin is?
I can only think of a hand full of drafted/ undrafted rookies, that came up in the system and play hard, smart and passionate.

Posted by: priceisright | November 9, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Bunch of Dan Synder's always want to 'blow it up'. Let's start over, get rid of JC, release LL, trade Portis, release the 2nd rd picks.

You are right to say that Snyder is exactly like many of the numbnuts here. And that is precisely why Laron Landry probably wants to leave, as will Campbell. You're stuck with Portis he is already paid, the highest salary for a running back in the history of the NFL. At this point the receivers drafted are probably wondering how they can get out of this chicken outfit. Noting the long runs ... that is may happen frequently with Brian Orapko at defensive end. He would not be able to manage against the better tackles and guards in the league. If he is a 'beast' his best position is at linebacker not defensive end for that reason. Will he adapt, adjust and learn to be as good as a Suggs? Only time will tell. It seems a hard thing to bet on with the team in such disarray and its incendiary owner making every effort to make things worst.

Posted by: periculum | November 9, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"And although Brian Orakpo already is a beast (he could be among the league's premier pass rushers for a decade or so), the failure to bolster the line in the 2008 draft might have made tackle Michael Oher a better pick in the 2009 draft. Oher was taken 23rd overall by the Baltimore Ravens"

I don't know if you noticed, but the Ravens gave up 4 sacks for 36 yards yesterday (9 per sack) plus two INTs based on some consistent QB pressure by Cincinnati. Wonder who was playing left tackle...

Brian Orakpo is a better football prospect than Michael Oher. We suffer at present, but the future is bright.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 9, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

they better start cleaning house this year, too many garbage pail kids in this team, because this is gonna be the only uncapped year the NFL is heading into. timing couldn't be anyway perfect.

GET RID OF LIST:
1. Campbell
2 Portis
3. Hall
4. Rogers
5. Smoot
6. Malcolm Kelly
7. Fred Davis
8. All the Oline
9. Landry
10.Randle El

maybe the DeadSkins can find themselves in the top 5 pick and get a GM, trade down to draft OL/QB/Guard/RB/DB and a kick/punt returner.

So this is wishing the DeadSkins to lose all 8 remaining games! oh wait.... I don't have to wish, they will lose all 8 games even to the lowly Raiders LMFAO!

SKINS 2-14!

Posted by: datruth21 | November 9, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Good O lines take years to develop and need to be refreshed continually with draft picks. The fact that Cerrato has completely ignored his is one (of many) signs of his ineptitude. Really, he's built this team like he was playing fantasy football. I think Danny could make Tom Cruise his GM and get the same results.

As for the skill positions, I'd say Campbell is an ok (not a great) QB, though by no means a west coast QB... with his O line, however, he's more inclined to play Forrest Gump ("RUN FORREST, RUN!!!") than Joe Montana...

Portis has never lived up to his trade, but would be effective 1) if he practiced (as Betts does) and 2) if he had blocking...

Cooley and Moss are indeed very good (if not elite) pass catchers... They just play on an offense that is not well-built.

Posted by: cgaquitaine | November 9, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

This mock has the Skins taking Tebow in the first round with the 7th pick. But never mind that. There are three OTs going fairly high, including Bruce Campbell of Maryland.

Posted by: skinfanman | November 9, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | November 9, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse
=============================================
WTF? Tebow? We don't need another receiver or TE!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: clark202 | November 9, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, you're critiquing the Orakpo pick? You've got to be kidding me. That's one too far.

They needed a plan B for the line. Heck, they needed a plan A. But unlike the WR corps, the D-line is solid now for the first time in years. Remember Stubblefield? This is the first formidable D-line I can recall since ole Manley and Mann.

So Runyan still out there?

Posted by: WorstSeat | November 10, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

While I don't question the Orakpo pick, I question just about everything else the Daniel Snyder Skins have done for years now. With smart management, we wouldn't see the patchwork OL we are so predictably seeing this year. Should we recount a few of the Daniel Snyder Skins' moves? The three receiver picks in the second round, as mentioned. The free agent signings that are too numerous and too awful to count. The infamous trade of a 3rd and 4th for Duckett, who barely played. Wow. That one remains beyond belief as I write it. In fact, it's too depressing to begin to recount the awful decisions Danny has made.

Posted by: dp3328 | November 10, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse