Fletcher appreciates Blache's endorsement

Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache recently broke his self-imposed media silence to publicly support middle linebacker London Fletcher, whom Blache believes should be selected to the Pro Bowl this season.

Not surprisingly, Fletcher appreciates the gesture.

"It's a good feeling to know than my defensive coordinator appreciates the way I play the game," the 12-year veteran said. "It means a lot. Coach Blache, one thing he doesn't do is B.S., sugarcoat anything. He tells you exactly how he feels about a situation or a person. It means a lot for him to say what he said."

In a piece last week written by my colleague Rick Maese, Blache said Fletcher, who has never been selected to the Pro Bowl, would have played in the game by now if he had drawn more attention to himself with antics on the field.

"Some of that probably plays a part in it in the fact that I don't try to draw attention to myself. I'm sure that probably plays a part in it," Fletcher said. "Obviously, it is, in a sense, a popularity contest. Not often times do the best players always make the Pro Bowl. I guess you can say that does play a part in it as well."

Coughlin's in Campbell's camp

In a story by Maese today, ESPN veteran analyst Ron Jaworski praised quarterback Jason Campbell; another person who is impressed with Campbell's resilience this season is New York Giants Coach Tom Coughlin.

"He's playing very well," Coughlin said earlier this week in a conference call with reporters who cover the Redskins. "His accuracy, obviously, is there. He's delivered the ball to the guys that can make plays for 'em."

Coughlin pointed to the impressive performances of second-year players Fred Davis and Devin Thomas as being among the main factors that have helped Campbell. "Certainly, Davis, his contribution and his improvement has helped the quarterback tremendously," he said. "Along with Thomas."

Despite the poor performance of the offensive line for much of the season and the unit's limitations, "obviously, Jason Campbell is a tough guy. He hung in there," Coughlin said. "Their team has improved, and he's certainly been the guy that's been the spearhead of that. He has an outstanding completion percentage and he's playing well."

A Steinbergian top 10

Over at the DC Sports Bog, Dan Steinberg ranks his (and your) top 10 pro area athletes of the decade.

By Jason Reid  |  December 21, 2009; 3:01 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell: Redskins' last 3 games do matter
Next: Report: Cowboys will sign Suisham

Comments

Beeped!

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 21, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

p1funk -- Shanahan as a HC would be able to hold his own with an owner or GM. He wouldn't need to be GM in order to have a lot of influence on personnel decision.

This is unlike Zorn and Cerrato, where mgmt had the say on everything and Zorn was only allowed to speak when mgmt let him speak.

As for his record as GM in Denver, with lots of decisions come lots of hits and misses. Overall, I don't think he did that well as GM.

As a HC, particularly as an offensive coach, he can be brilliant. But on the other stuff, he's nothing special.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess I just don't see that there's much to worry about in the arrangement.

Shanny is gonna have some personnel authority - OK, I can live with that.

He's been a coach in the NFL long enough to know what he wants in a player. He can work with Bruce Allen on personnel decisions. You've got 2 seasoned well-respected NFL guys, neither of whom seems to have petty personality quirks (like Vinny) to get in the way. BA can handle all the "dirty work" of cap management and contract negotiations.

If Snydes wants to sweeten the deal for Shanny by giving him a nice title like "Team President" and an extra million or 2 to boot, then fine. Do what you gotta do to close the deal.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, I haven't been watching the Bears lately...have you?

I take a look at the Bears squad, and frankly they just aren't talented.

Can you identify one player or one statement from someone in the lockerroom that says "Hey, we're pulling together for the coach. He's really inspired us these past couple weeks."??

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Would you agree that giving up on your coach and "tuning him out" might be the same thing? You know, coaches lose their players because the message has been the same for too long, or was never effective? Or they were just ineffective leaders?. I think Denny Green lost the Cards, Mora Jr lost the Falcons (okay, a lot of other factors there), and Gruden lost the Bucs--lost their last 3 games to finish 8-8 to miss the playoffs.

We're not that talented in a lot of key areas, particularly on offense, and we've been very competitive for several weeks now.

There have been a lot of quotes from players voicing their support for Zorn, most notably Fletch and Daniels after the last game. Hell, if our defensive guys stand up for him after the way the offense let down the defense early in the year...this has to count for something in Zorn's favor.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 21, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 21, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The 4 FF finalists are almost all locked in place.

cL, Probable congrats on your FF win, you might want to shower so you can wash off those bullets you were sweating (the scores aren't official yet and they do sometimes change). Remind me to never trust Mora Jr ever again.

And congrats to Suzanne, you're not giving up that massive lead tonight.

Probable congrats also to Tampa (same deal, gotta wait until its final), winning close and ugly is still winning. And congrats to me.

Will have a recap tomorrow when its all official.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Which reminds me...they're doing snow removal all around the Beltway...various lane closures...MASSIVE back-ups, depending on which way you're going.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 21, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah yeah, next thing you'll tell me is it's gonna be cold too.

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 21, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1, my score can only adjust up, as my Jets D is getting jobbed right now. But your right stranger things have happened. And I'd be lying if I wasn't crapping my pants watching the game tracker on your GB posse.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 21, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, I haven't been watching the Bears lately...have you?

I take a look at the Bears squad, and frankly they just aren't talented.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 21, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Look. By my mathematics this team's improved play roughly coincided with the following events.

1) Zorn's authority got REDUCED.
2) Team albatross and offensive chemistry-killer Clinton Portis gets injured and is unavailable to play.
3) Levi Jones inserted into starting lineup providing some semblance of an NFL-caliber left tackle
4) Carlos Rogers, Rock Cartwright, ARE see their roles reduced on account of not getting the job done.

The improved play can be directly attributed to some simple personnel/coaching moves and an increase in player accountability.

Maybe the guys haven't turned on Zorn. Whoop-dee-doo. Does that mean that Zorn has inspired their good play? Not at all.

Maybe it simply says that guys like Fletch and PDaniels are quality stand-up guys who realize there is no benefit in quitting on the team/coach regardless of how inept/incompetent they may be.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

No SMACK...just for you tonight, clear skies and 81 degrees. Tee shirt, shorts, flip flops. You'll be comfy.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

And therein lies the issue. Shanahan is a control freak. Not a bad thing in a HC, but we've all seen how that can backfire when its top mgmt.

Thing is, some great coaches have tried the GM (or pres) + coach thing with very mixed results.

Holmgren, Shanahan and Gibbs (rather an impressive group) were all significantly better when they were just coaches and let someone else run the operation.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, the whole Coughlin schpiel about being in "Campbell's camp" is weak.

C'mon, what is he supposed to say leading up to the game?

"That Jason Campbell is a turd sandwich with extra cheese. He stinks in the clutch and he doesn't have a winning record as a starter....glad he's not my QB."

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | December 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about flips but there will definitely be two flops there.

Do you think I should go with the long unterhosen, or will I be packed in amongst so many Giants fans that the regular unterhosen will work?

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 21, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Of course if the reports are accurate that Shanny has been stumping for Bruce Allen, then it's irrelevant. They'd want to work together.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

lol, p1, mathematical skills! fair enough, all of those things are true. Except you explained the reasons for improved play, but not what makes them want to play so hard. Who knows, doesn't really matter, I'm enjoying some good football which is all that really matters to me.

And Nate, I'd say the Giants and Iggles are neck and neck for 2nd least favorite teams, hard to decide...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 21, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I vote for die lange Unterhosen.

If and when you poop your pants like I often do, you can discard them and go about your business.

Or leave them on, let them stew (much to the chagrin of the Giants fans seated around you.)

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 21, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Unterhosen? I believe you've confused me with 'Rotfrau'

Posted by: 4-12 | December 21, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

cL, similar game last year for me in the semifinal.

Had a big deficit going into the last game of the weekend. DeAngelo Williams went off (almost 200 yards+some TDs -- most in the 4th quarter) and I lost by 3. In that same game, Matt Bryant hit the upright on a 40 yd FG (a 5 point swing) and that was the difference. Another case of sweating bullets -- watching a 40 point lead disappear can't be much fun.

Last year's game, like our game might be, had the week's 2 top scorers play each other.

Just glad my other team won this week ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Will have a recap tomorrow when its all official.

Posted by: zcezcest1
========================================
Now if Fred Davis can catch 2 TDs and have 90 yds recv, I have a shot in my other league.

Go Fred Go!

PS If someone could let the Sherms and Zorn know to call a lot of F.Davis plays tonight that would help

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 21, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:21 PM

Amen. The problem is, they reach such a point of stature that they accumulate too much power. Balance is what made them great.

That's why I do not want a rock star coach. I want someone who is hungry, not just looking for a big paycheck and another go round.

A guy like Russ Grimm. There are certainly others.

Posted by: edvar | December 21, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Not sure that just because they want to work together that it solves the issue. I mean, Bruce Allen told the media on day 1 he'd be responsible for the football decisions. Right up until the day he gives that up -- in about 3 weeks?

Heck, Gibbs and Beathard had plenty of times where they strongly disagreed, but they both were very good at their respective jobs.

The president/HC thing just hasn't been a good deal. Has anyone been really successful with that? Look at the top teams this decade. Do they mix GM/coach?

Colts? No
jints? No
Steelers? No
Pats? No

Maybe it'll work better with a genuine GM involved, but I'd prefer Allen as GM, Shanahan as HC and a strong group for talent evaluation working for the GM. To me, that is the winning combo.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah...

F the G-Men!

Lets send 'em home bloody and limping - wondering what the hell just hit them.

Posted by: edvar | December 21, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Will have a recap tomorrow when its all official.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Be sure to include a blurb about the E-Funk All-Stars' domination of the consolation bracket.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 21, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

MKelly gets his first TD tonight....BOOK IT!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 21, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Will have a recap tomorrow when its all official.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

f da giants, live in brooklyn now, get to talk a lot about the Skins up here though, my co-worker is from virginia and im from Maryland, no naturally we hate each other, but we both agree the giants suck and we can hopefully take care of those bamas tonight

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 21, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Damn.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 21, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Would the Russ Grimm supporters please make a case for him beyond he coached in Pittsburh and Az? This is not a slam on RG at all, I am honestly curious as to what he brings to the table. Redskin heritage is obvious and a definite plus. What else is there?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

MKelly gets his first TD tonight....BOOK IT!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Wow, he really still doesn't have a TD? Shocking.

Still no injury updates?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 21, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I thought the Forever 4-12s are dominating the consolation bracket...

Posted by: 4-12 | December 21, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

RomoLongballs, I'm in that minority of Skins fans for whom the Eagles are well behind the Giants in "dislikability." I'd be happy to see the Eagles represent our division all the way to the big game.

My hatred for the Cowboys > my loathing for the Giants >>> my not begrudging the Eagles any success, except for success at the expense of the Skins

(I reserve the right to adjust my dislikability rankings in the unlikely event the Eagles win a title.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I really need DT11 and GG... whatever number he has... to have good games tonight in my FF league. They don't need to go crazy, if they score as predicted, I'll win.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

Please stop with the pathetic ranting and whining about someone who could care less about what you think because you are some nobody on a blog. You think Jaws is reading your post and losing sleep over it? Not a chance loser.

Posted by: ged0386 | December 21, 2009 3:03 PM

Definition of a hater...Love it...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 21, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

My prediction for tonight is that Heyer starts, is injured before the first quarter is out and his backup - he of the recently unemployed - William Robinson turns in a solid performance, which will make people wonder why Heyer was starting to begin with...

And then at half time, pigs will fly over the stadium in a tribute to the hogs, President Obama will arrive by helicopter to announced his switch to the Republican party and Dan Snyder will suit up as kicker to replace injured Gano.

Book it?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 21, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

What do you all think Orakpo's chances are of winning Defensive ROY? I have to think he's the front runner. Might even have a shot at overall ROY, although Percy Harvin will probably win that.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

def hate giants more than eagles,,,,, eagles aint won s**t and until they do they can never truly be hated by a franchise that has 3 Super Bowls and i dont care how long we've been bad.....dallas def takes the cake as most hated, they just a bunch of degenerates, it's not even close

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 21, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

rsh, you were good until your closing statement. You claimed it, however you yourself don't believe it will happen, thus the "?" at the end.

When you 'book' something, you need to CLAIM it, so that it comes true. you can't be waffling...although waffles are pretty good....

got it??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 21, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Should the eagles win, (yuck) I reserve the right to avoid Philadelphia for not less than a 24 month period or until the fans there are delivered their rightful comeuppance.

The reason I hate (strongly dislike) the Giants is because we haven't matched up very well against them for many years. Whereas we always seem to have a game on the Eagles.

Then there is Dallas. Dallas will always be Dallas.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 21, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Just scored free tix to the game!!!

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Dominating the consolation bracket = Valedictorian at the vocational high school.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 21, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

A big game tonight by Orakpo, even in which he doesn't knock elisha from the game, would go a long way toward garnering him DROY honors.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1,
Thanks for the insight on bookitology. Skins win tonight. Book it!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 21, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

You can worship Shanahan all you want, but think about this:
1 Joe Gibbs/1981 record 8-8
Joe Gibbs/1982 record 8-1-won-super-bowl
2 Shanahan/1988 record 7-9
Shanahan/1989 record 1-3-replaced by
Art Shell
3 John Gruden/1998 record 8-8
John Gruden/1999 record 8-8
4 Jim Zorn/2008 record 8-8
Jim Zorn/2009 record (incomplete)
even at 7-9, I still honestly think Zorn
should be given a chance, his stock is
rising but, some Skins fan just believe
in idolizing other team's star rather
than grooming their own.

Posted by: abxinc | December 21, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

DROY has got some tough competition. The kid from Buffalo has like 9 picks. A couple of the USC LBs have played well and gotten primo press.

But Orakpo is hitting the spotlight as people are starting to fill out ballots. If he plays big tonight, I think he has a great shot at it. I say if he gets 3 sacks tonight and he probably gets it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Who's his main competition, Kaneohe? Cushing? Matthews?

Elisha, love it

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Its between Cushing and Orakpo

Posted by: chrislarry | December 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Clay Matthews and Darell Revis also have an outside shot.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 21, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Cushing and Matthews are getting a lot of pub, and GBay winning doesn't hurt Matthews chances at all.

Rak needs to beast out tonight to have any shot.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Darell Revis = not a rookie!

sorry etrod

Posted by: chrislarry | December 21, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm 59 years old and a fan of the Redskins since the mid-1950s. I was a burgundy and gold little boy. For many years, there was little to root for. I'm still amazed at the transformation of the franchise after Vince's short stay. For 25 years the franchise grew in quality and stature. No professional organization or city could have hoped for better than Joe Gibbs. I am rooting for Zorn to finish well, though I predicted he would not last. He's a quality guy. The team is playing hard for him, now, in spite of Mr. Snyder. But after this season, Zorn is finished and so am I. The love is gone. Au revoir, mon bon ami. Merci pour les souvenirs.

Posted by: obak2 | December 21, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

obak2 - Thank you for your post. I too am ready to find another team to call my own after being a Redskins fan for 40 years. The awful cycle we've been in the last ten years of starting over every couple of years has really dampened my desire to follow the team.

I am very glad that Vinny is gone - I believe he has been the major problem. He made some good personnel decisions but far too many bad ones.

I like Zorn. I believe that he is a "Joe Gibbs" in the rough - it's really ashame that he had to make his head coaching debut under Vinny.

Bottom line: If they fire Zorn, I'm done as a Redskins fan.

I've got three games to enjoy.

Go Skins!

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | December 21, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

4 Jim Zorn/2008 record 8-8
Jim Zorn/2009 record (incomplete)
even at 7-9, I still honestly think Zorn
should be given a chance, his stock is
rising but, some Skins fan just believe
in idolizing other team's star rather
than grooming their own.

Posted by: abxinc

Wish Zorn were a better coach, but he just isn't good at the job. fwiw, the other Seattle coach Danny interviewed, Mora Jr. is every bit as bad as Zorn.

Yesterday, in rainy weather, Mora had two RBs both average over 5 yards a carry. So what did he do? Threw it 46 times and Hassleback had 5 turnovers -- vs Tampa. Dumb.

Reminded me of the really windy game when we played the jints a couple years ago and eli set the record for most incompletions in a game. In 40mph winds, you run the ball, you don't throw it 50 times.

Just dumb.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

If Rak gets 3 sack lunches tonite he walks away with it. Would 14 (and counting...) be a rookei record?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

If Orakpo totals 15 sacks or so this season, then yeah he gets it.....But if Matthews got it I couldn't argue against it.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 21, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Campbell took a shovel pass Sunday morning
December, 21, 2009
Dec 21
3:59
PM ET
Email Print Share
By Matt Mosley
ARLINGTON, Va. -- When I spoke to Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell via phone Saturday evening, he was trying to figure out how he would make it to work by 9 a.m. the next morning. Earlier that day, some of Campbell's neighbors were surprised to see the quarterback shoveling snow from his driveway and they rushed over to help.

"They were worried about my arms getting sore," said Campbell, who will lead the Redskins against the Giants tonight at FedEx. "And we ended up with a nice little team out there working together to get me to practice on time."

One of the neighbors asked Campbell not to shovel any more snow Sunday morning and volunteered to do it himself.

"I'll probably get the guy a new pair of shoes or something," said Campbell.

Campbell's in the midst of one of the best stretches of his career. Beginning in the second half of the Nov. 8 game against the Falcons, Campbell has thrown for nine touchdowns against only four interceptions. He's stopped worrying about the patchwork offensive line in front of him and simply focused on playing his game.

"They've given me more freedom," Campbell said of the offensive staff. "And I'm able to relax and just go play."

Campbell said he learned that Vinny Cerrato had resigned when he woke up Thursday morning and had about 20 text messages. He didn't believe them at first, so he turned on the radio for confirmation. Campbell said he's still waiting to meet the Redskins' new general manager, Bruce Allen.

"Bruce is a good, professional guy," Campbell said. "So you have to feel good about that aspect of it."

Like everyone else, Campbell has heard all the speculation about Mike Shanahan replacing Jim Zorn as head coach. He didn't want to comment on that situation out of respect for his current head coach. OK, I'll be out at FedEx for all the festivities this evening. Unfortunately, I was told earlier today that Allen would not be conducting any interviews. Looking forward to getting some time with him soon.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: obak2 | December 21, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse
Have some faith.....we will get it right one of these days.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 21, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

IMO, that ain't Zorn's doing boys and girls.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I think 14.5 is the record. Rak would be shy by a half a sack.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 21, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

You can worship Shanahan all you want, but think about this:
1 Joe Gibbs/1981 record 8-8
Joe Gibbs/1982 record 8-1-won-super-bowl
2 Shanahan/1988 record 7-9
Shanahan/1989 record 1-3-replaced by
Art Shell
3 John Gruden/1998 record 8-8
John Gruden/1999 record 8-8
4 Jim Zorn/2008 record 8-8
Jim Zorn/2009 record (incomplete)
even at 7-9, I still honestly think Zorn
should be given a chance, his stock is
rising but, some Skins fan just believe
in idolizing other team's star rather
than grooming their own.

Posted by: abxinc | December 21, 2009 4:11 PM
------------------------------------------
I don't get your point. How is Zorn's stock rising if he is posting a worse season that his previous year? Yes, the offense is a little more exciting over the last few weeks, but they are still losing the games. If you look at the body of work for any of those coaches mentioned, they have gotten teams to Superbowls and playoffs. Zorn has not.

I am not a Shanahan worshiper. I think he would be a good fit for the Redskins right now, but I would be happy with a few other coaches that would be available. Ask yourself this: if Zorn were unemployed after going .500 his first season of coaching and somewhere less than that in his second season, would you hire him over these other coaches? I wouldn't. No way in the very fiery place would I do that.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 21, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Heyer is out - some guy who's last game was for San Diego State in 2007 is the only thing standing between Justin Tuck and Jason Campbell all night!?

What happens if JC and Collins both get knocked out of the game? Who starts, Randel El?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 21, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 21, 2009 4:27 PM
-----------------------------------------
Not good that Heyer is out. I think they have a third quarterback on the active roster: Richard Bartel and I think he would be active if neither Campbell or Collins could make it. Let's hope they give Will Robinson help all night long and they don't need to call out a stretcher for Campbell...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 21, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Snyder looks to make his next splash hire in Shanahan and all will be well again in Redskinland as it has after all his past splash hires.

Posted by: cannontl | December 21, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

DAN SNYDER"S 10 PRINCIPLES OF PROPAGANDA:

1. Propagandist must have access to intelligence concerning public opinion.

2. Propaganda must be planned and executed by only one authority.

a. It must explain propaganda directives to coaches and players while alternatingly demoralizing or inspiring them with episodic upheavals in the team hierarchy.

3. Propaganda must suppress undesirable material which might provide the fans, or other teams with useful counter intelligence.

a. Openly disseminate propaganda whose content or tone causes the fans, or other teams, and the greater public in general to draw inaccurate conclusions.

4. To be perceived, propaganda must evoke interest and must be transmitted through an attention-getting communications medium.

5. Propaganda may be facilitated by team representatives with little if any prestige or credibility.

6. Propaganda must be carefully timed.

a. The communication must reach the audience ahead of competing propaganda.

b. A propaganda campaign must begin at the optimum moment.

7. Propaganda to the fans will inevitably encourage the raising of false hopes which will be blasted by future events.

8. Propaganda to the fans must create an optimum anxiety level.

a. Propaganda must reinforce anxiety of the fans concerning the consequences of defeat.

b. Propaganda must diminish anxiety (other than concerning the consequences of defeat) which is too high and which cannot be reduced by the fans themselves.

9. Propaganda to the fans must diminish the impact of inevitable frustration experienced as a result of a losing record.

10. Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of fan aggression by continually specifying new targets for change within the team hierarchy.

Posted by: Rotfrau | December 21, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Yoder, Todd will be stationed prominently between Robinson and Campbell most of the night. I also think that Yoder, Todd, should lead block into Tuck followed quickly by Ganther, Quinton for most of the first several drives.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 21, 2009 4:27 PM

My point is Rome was not built in a day. Even almighty Shanahan was an average Coach
in his first 2 years.

Posted by: abxinc | December 21, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

IMO, that ain't Zorn's doing boys and girls.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 4:26 PM

Agreed one hundred percent. Sher Lewis is calling the vast majority of plays; he has given JC and the younins the opportunity to go out and make plays; the offense blossoms. A lot of the success the Skins are having on offense is in spite of JZ, not because of JZ.

Posted by: TWISI | December 21, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

agreed, yoder on the line at TE, and mash tuck with Sellers, lather rinse, repeat.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 21, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line: If they fire Zorn, I'm done as a Redskins fan.
___________________________________

Are u fricken kidding me?? Joe Gibbs was a genius of a coach... He came here & tried to run Air Coryell & at game 6, he changed to a smashmouth style & the rest is history.

Jim Zorn was so stuck on himself that he kept running the same stuff over & over again... The 6-2 start was a mirage, because it was his first round around the league & there was no tape on his offense. Since that time, he has made ZERO adjustments. We bring a guy from the BINGO parlor... repeat BINGO PARLOR... & after 3 games, we score 30 + points back to back & he seems to realize JC's strengths & weaknesses.

Now, Mike Shanahan becomes coach of the Redskins. I personally think we are going to keep JC because I think Shanahan believes he can win with JC & I am starting to become a believer myself after the last few weeks.

There is a reason that Cutler under Shanny had QB ratings of 88, 88, & 86... then comes to the bears & has a 75. Shanahan put Cutler in the best position to win & modeled his offense around Cutler's strengths... that is what a good coach does.

Posted by: tony325 | December 21, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if a Snyder run organization will be able to see that it would be better to keep Campbell rather than spend a first round bullet on a QB rather than focus on other more real needs.

This may be good test for Allen, or is he just basically going to be a Snyder yes man.

Posted by: cannontl | December 21, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The propaganda and splashes get me all excited every year!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 21, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

14.5 huh...man, he has a real shot at that. Would be something to hang out hats on...and beating Gints and Girls

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

well said Kaneohe, Skinsfanin

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are right about Shanahan, tony325. As far as Gibbs goes, though, at least he had several years experience being an offensive coordinator before he became a head coach.

(Of course if Snyder had been the owner back then, Gibbs would have been fired after his first three losses).

The offense is now starting to click and Zorn has to get his share of the credit. He said it takes about two years to really start working and it is happening with quite a few pro bowlers missing.

Posted by: cannontl | December 21, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I hope as fans we have realistic expectations. Any "fan" that thinks any GM gets all the draft picks right is reaching. The key is you try to get as many as possible to increase the chances of success.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Hypothetical- would you rather have $50,000 or a Skins Super Bowl win next year?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cannontl | December 21, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah we can credit him with not calling plays anymore, and putting on a headset to "look busy" in front of the boss.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Zorn's inexperience go a lot further than his playcalling. His lack of in game adjustments, poor clock/time management, and tendency to play not to lose are all indicators that he was not ready for the job. Zorn was hired to be an offensive coordinator, not a head coach. Rarely does a coach succeed who has never been a coordinator. The only ones that come to mind are Andy Reid and Mike McCarthy.

As for Shanahan, he had too much power in Denver which was his undoing. IF he focuses on coaching instead of personnel, he should do fine in Washington. He has Allen to be the GM and serve as the buffer with Snyder.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Yoder to be Tuck's "bamboo man"...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 21, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I also think we are forgetting one key ingredient in building a team...patience

How long was Billick in Baltimore?

How long was Cowher in Pittsburg?

Andy Reid just got an extension?

We've had too much change!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 21, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I recall looking at the 2nd game Zorn coached and feeling very good about the guy. He was brought in to put in a WCO, but the opener vs nyg was a disaster. So he moved away from it and let the offense do the things it seemed to doi the best. It was a classic case of a coach adapting to his people.

In the 2nd half of last season, I credited the problem to Cerrato, and his stubborn refusal to address the OL, but also looked at Zorn's inexperience in dealing with his first tough situation.

For me, Zorn's steep descent came in the week of the Cincy game. A 1 win team vs a team fighting to stay in the playoff chase. Portis melted down on the radio that week and the Skins lost on Sunday.

From then on, I became more leery of Zorn. The preseason was the clincher for me, as he failed to make key decisions early, notably about the WRs. Within a few weeks, Zorn had shown how bad he really was as a HC.

I'm glad Zorn is still fighting and this team hasn't quit. But this wasn't the right job for Zorn.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

DAN SNYDER"S 10 PRINCIPLES OF PROPAGANDA:

Posted by: Rotfrau

What, the German guy is explaining propoganda ... well knock me over with a feather.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 21, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Of course Gibbs had Beathard. Remember the 1981 draft: Mark May, Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby (actually a free agent), Dexter Manley and Darrel Grant (also Chaley Brown who had at least one Pro Bowl season at WR).

Gibbs had core players on the o-line and d-line for the rest of the decade. This really helps when you want to be a HOF coach.

But Zorn had Vinny who apparently couldn't grasp the importance of an o-line, even after the Skins' off season meetings identified the o-line as being the main culprit in the poor offense the last part of 2008.

Instead we better spend our time trying to replace the QB and signing over priced d-linemen.

Posted by: cannontl | December 21, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding...50 grand!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 21, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cannontl | December 21, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

______________________________________

Look, maybe Zorn could be a good coach someday but he needs to be QB coach, earn confidence... become O-coordinator... then HC.

I like the guy, but if losing Zorn was the only way to get rid of Vinny... get Dan to step back a little bit & not be so involved with direct contact with the team then I'm all for it.

2 things we should really be concerned with is the defensive coord that Shanny is going to bring with him... Bob Slowik, is a bum (I hope the report is wrong) and Shanny as the personnel guy. In Denver he picked lots of good offensive players, but he didn't do to good on the defensive side of the ball. We are lucky that a lot of the starters are in place for the next few years.

Bob Slowik, was D - coordinator in Green Bay in 2004 (also was Denver's 2008). He took over for this guy who was ranked 17th the year before.... Slowik was ranked #27 in 2004... not good.

Posted by: tony325 | December 21, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn only had a good line, he could go back to being quirky, refreshing and a leader of men, not to mention and up and coming good coach.

But since he didn't really have a good line form the last half of last year, he can just be the poor, over-matched coach he really is.

Posted by: cannontl | December 21, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

watching ATH on ESPN, Woody Paige looks like he is FUBAR.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 21, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the cynicism of my last post was not directed at you, tony325.

Posted by: cannontl | December 21, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I also think we are forgetting one key ingredient in building a team...patience

How long was Billick in Baltimore?

How long was Cowher in Pittsburg?

Andy Reid just got an extension?

We've had too much change!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 21, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

________________________________

Agree... but I think Shanahan is going to be coach here for a long time or until he wants to leave... look how long he was in Denver. Snyder would never fire Gibbs & I think he has the same high opinion of Shanahan.

Come on... all have to agree that this regime has got to go. Vinny took everything he could from Zorn except his manhood. You can't have that guy around anymore, but it was great to see Vinny go before Zorn, that was classic.

Posted by: tony325 | December 21, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

We can credit Zorn with being a major force in creating the game plan (from which all the plays are called), simplifying the plays for his team because of all the injuries, helping to keep his team playing hard amid the usual dysfunction that Snyder helps create, and being a total class act in the way he has handled the absolute stupidity at Redskin Park.

I am not try to be a Zorn apologist here, but it is not a given that Allen and Shanahan will make everything all better.

Posted by: cannontl | December 21, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is a bright and capable coach, but the Zorn experiment was set up to fail.

How many NFL head coaches have been offensive coordinators and acted as QB coach?

How many of those are/were rookie head coaches?

How many of those have/had no experience as offensive coordinator?

Each position requires 20 hours per day during the season. So for Zorn that's 60 hours per day, but guess what, there are only 24 to work with.

Vinny has already paid the price for not realizing this simple truth.

Soon, Zorn will pay too.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 21, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Shanahan will be the messiah, but I do think he will add stability to the organization. Shanahan is a crafty, experienced game manager -- you can thank Shanahan for the now well-worn practice of "icing the kicker" right as he goes into his kicking motion. In a league that strives for parity, Shanahan will give the team a consistent competitive advantage on Sundays.

I often get this sinking feeling with Zorn that he is being out-coached week in and week out. If talent level is equal, does anyone really feel like Zorn gives the team any advantage out there on Sunday? Even Zorn concedes he has had to learn on the job, and I think Zorn knows the learning curve has been slow.

Put it another way -- if Jim Zorn were our GM, would Jim Zorn hire Jim Zorn as a head coach?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | December 21, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding...50 grand!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 21, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

No ricky, no!!

If you know they're going to win the SB, you go to Vegas, put $50,000 on Skins to win it all at about 50-1. Skins win a ring, you're a millionaire.

"you have chosen...poorly"

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Yoder, and Ganther or whoever is the single back will be on the lookout for Tuck for sure - but you can bet NY is counting on pressuring Campbell.

Covers.com ?? just posted this:
Redskins - DT Cornelius Griffin, FB Mike Sellers, DB DeAngelo Hall, K Graham Gano and DT Albert Haynesworth have all been upgraded to probable. OL Stephon Heyer and LB Rocky McIntosh are questionable.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 21, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I think Yoder . . . will be stationed prominently between Robinson and Campbell
Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 21, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Yoder to be Tuck's "bamboo man"...
Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 21, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 21, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 21, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Prediction time:

Skins 5 Giants 2

After trading safeties, Graham Cracker Gano drills a 37 yarder with 37 seconds left. Rak's 3 sack seals the victory and the DROY.

HAIL HOMIES!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't you guys get it? An offense is as good as its OL - Peyton Manning wouldn't be doing much with this offense the way the OL was playing up till three weeks ago. Why should we expect better play from JC?

As for Zorn - he is a leader - there are very few head coaches who could keep a team playing hard through all of this garbage - impatient fans, "hatchet job" reporters, Vinny the miserable, and a crazy owner.

I'm tired of this "scrap the team" every two years approach (minus Gibbs years) this ownership is using.

Enough is enough! Give Zorn a productive OL and we'll make the playoffs or better. The players are just now getting use to his system. Bring in Shanny now, and we'll have to wait another two years before the team will do anything.

Go Skins!

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | December 21, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I also think we are forgetting one key ingredient in building a team...patience

How long was Billick in Baltimore?

How long was Cowher in Pittsburg?

Andy Reid just got an extension?

We've had too much change!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 21, 2009 4:54 PM

Patience is neither necessary nor sufficient. How long was Turner in Washington?

Posted by: League-Source | December 21, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Notorius...

If I take the $50,000, and I have that power to know if the Skins are going to win the Super Bowl, then I probably know the Powerball numbers too...I'll take the 200 million

"touche"

Posted by: rickyroge | December 21, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Good point League...

Also, I don't know why the Eagles get as much respect as they do. They have a trophy case full of NFC Championships and...

no Rings!!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 21, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Jaws just slurpped pretty hard on the Skins on PTI...is he on Snyder's payroll? Wouldn't surprise me if Danny paid him to sing our praises. Kidding. Sorta.

Ricky, send me those Powerball numbers when you have a chance

HAIL!! Kinda psyched for tonight.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 21, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: _Stumped_ | December 21, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Suisham just signed with the Cowboys.... Great job by 'boys to bring in a motivated kicker to face his old team in their house... gotta give it to them.

I would LMAO if he missed a game winner.

Posted by: tony325 | December 21, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse