Fletcher on Haynesworth's Game (Updated)

I texted Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth the other day to find out why he has declined numerous interview requests this week. His response: "I will let my play speak for itself. ... That's just the way I feel right now."

Will, his play apparently spoke loudly against the New York Giants. Haynesworth's strong performance was among the Redskins' few bright spots in a mostly disappointing outing during New York's 23-17 victory.

"I thought he played well. I thought he did a good job," defensive coordinator Greg Blache said. "He made some big plays in the run game. Got some pressure in the passing. He was definitely a factor in how the game transpired. I was pleased with the way he performed."

After the game, Haynesworth was credited with four tackles, including one for a loss, by the league. The Redskins reviewed the game recording and listed Haynesworth with seven tackles (tackles are not an official statistic).

Regardless of how many tackles Haynesworth had, he was a force against the Giants, middle linebacker London Fletcher said.

"He did a lot of good things for us," Fletcher said. "He was disruptive. He made a lot of good plays for us, like that fourth-down play. That was him."

Early in the second quarter at Giants Stadium, Haynesworth stopped New York power back Brandon Jacobs for no gain on fourth down at the Redskins' 3-yard line. The Giants ran more to the edge, presumably, because Haynesworth was in the middle.

"That was all him. He crashed down and made the play," Fletcher said. "He did the things we want him to do. I was pleased with what he did. He dominated. There were plays where he really dominated."

As usual, Haynesworth produced while being double-teamed, impressing Blache and Fletcher.

"A lot of times, especially at the defensive tackle position, you may not get the praise, so to speak, for what's happening," Fletcher said. "In this instance, when you watch it [from a recording], and you know what the defensive concept is and things like that, that's when you really see it.

"Especially on some run plays. Where he's back side and he's coming, crashing down, when the running back doesn't have the opportunity to cut back with him there, you really see it. And there were a couple instances where he actually made the play. He chased from the back side and made the play."

Haynesworth displayed his athleticism, too.

"There was a screen to a wide receiver and he was out there," Fletcher said. "Like I said, he did a lot of good things. And as the season goes on, I think he'll do a lot more."

As good as Haynesworth is, however, he does not work alone, Blache said.

"Albert's a good player, but let's not make him King Kong," Blache said. "He did his job. That's what we want him to do. Good player. Very, very, good player. But not Superman."

By Jason Reid  |  September 17, 2009; 2:42 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Randle El Remains a Force
Next: Samuels, Montgomery Limited in Practice

Comments

first to say fletcher is a BEAST!

Posted by: bhoang888 | September 17, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

sick of all this nonsense about how much money skins dumped on AH. Not my money, not your money, so shut the hell up.

Posted by: bhoang888 | September 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

AH not talking to the media. That didn't take long.

Posted by: will_ga | September 17, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

wait, I thought he was tired on on the sidelines....how could this be??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I have always felt that DT was the most underrated position in the NFL and TE is the most overrated.

Posted by: NFeKPo | September 17, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher is a guy whose performance exceeds his talent. Landry is a guy whose talent exceeds his performance. Albert is a guy whose paycheck exceeds the GDP of several small countries.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 17, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Before last Sunday I never saw someone put a hit on Jacobs and get the better end of it. On that one hit, he practically imprinted "UNITY" into Jacobs' helmet.

Posted by: pgugino | September 17, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

And if Al plays that way for us on every game, then he is earning that money. The problem was we didn't take enough advantage of the disruption. Blitzing more would be help....

Posted by: pgugino | September 17, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

agreed, pgug, never saw Jacobs stopped in his tracks, let alone, send backwards...that was a TREMENDOUS hit...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Appropriate practice music:

Cooley = Metallica

Zorn = Abba

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

cheap shot on landry. he has a lot of responsibilities as a Safety for us, almost as much as London as MLB. Laron is our best Dback, smoot and hall struggle in man coverage, carlos can cover but refuses to intercept the ball, horton is able to run free b/c of Laron over the top. He's following a very tough act ST21

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 17, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Anybody remember the (Mid)West Coast Offense from early last year? When Portis was punching you in the mouth and leaving cleat marks on your back, but there was still a little bit of Walshlike razzle-dazzle?

Bring out the M-WCO offense on Sunday.

Posted by: swowra | September 17, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Redskins 360

Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache said that All-Pro defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth isn't King Kong or Superman.

But Blache wasn't disappointed that Haynesworth had just four tackles, no sacks and no hurries in the season-opening loss to the New York Giants.

"I thought he played well," Blache said. "... made some plays in the run game, got some pressure at times in the passing game. They paid a great deal of attention to him, turned the protection to him. He was definitely a factor in the way the game transpired. I was pleased with the way he performed."

Blache disagreed that Haynesworth was a big factor in middle linebacker London Fletcher being free to run the ball and make 18 tackles.

"That's London doing London's job and Albert's doing Albert's job," Blache said. "I don't think that Albert's presence have London more tackles. I don't buy that. Albert's a good player, but let's not make him King Kong. The guys that played there last year [helped] the linebackers [too]. He did his job, a good player. a very, very good player but not Superman.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino

Shouldn't that be "DDELL" for Riddell?

Maybe like a lot of things, I just don't get it.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

A bit from the the Chappell Show, Red

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 17, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"Asked about the challenge of tackling Jacobs, who checks in at 264 pounds, the 350-pound Haynesworth said:

“They all fall the same.”

Posted by: swowra | September 17, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1, Haynesworth played 75% of the defensive snaps on Sunday, which is 15% more than he generally played the past two years in Tennessee. The story of him being tired on the sidelines is something that's only getting press because of the size of his paycheck: there's not one single top-tier DT in the entire NFL who plays significantly more than 75-80% of his team's defensive snaps, and the ones on teams with decent depth on the defensive line play significantly less than that.

On a separate note, the reality for most Redskins fans - who know virtually nothing about football but talk like they're Vince friggin' Lombardi - is that the impact of a DT can't be measured in individual stats like tackles (a bogus stat anyway) and sacks. To wit: Vince Wilfork has 7.5 sacks and only 188 credited solo tackles in his entire five-year career, but he's unquestionably one of the elite interior linemen in the entire NFL.

The same's true of Haynesworth: just because he had 8.5 sacks last year, that doesn't mean he's a guy whose impact should be measured in sacks, or mean that he'll have had a bad season if he only gets, say, 2.5 sacks this season. It's entirely possible he could have the best season of his career this year and not get credited with a single sack, if he's swallowing up blockers, collapsing pockets, and creating big plays for others.

Posted by: manalive | September 17, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV:
I was attempting to re-hash Chappelle's Rick James skit (which if you didn't see, I won't bother describing), but Riddell works. Even the audio on that hit gave me the shivers.

Posted by: pgugino | September 17, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Everything was great. We played a really great game and made good decisions. there was a lot of positive stuff to build off of.

....maps...

Zorn has the ENTIRE soft hits of the 70's Time Warner collection.

c'mon guys, something good has to come out of this coarching debacle.

Jim Zorn rakes OTHER peoples tracks out of sand traps.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10

HA! The only one takes cheap shots is LaRon Landry.

The best CB is Carlos Rogers, I've finally come around to that. Only time you hear Rogers' name is when he gets beat with a double move, or when he drops a pick.

I don't know how LaRon Landry keeps getting a pass. I mean, do you watch the game and turn your head away when a player you like to root for f's up?

He's at times a step too late in coverage, or gets beat in coverage, whiffs on Tackles, or loses focus altogether.

I think Landry maybe getting by on college rep, who he played with for about the first 8 games his rookie season, who played the FS position before him, for sometimes providing a solid to beastly tackle, and his weird personality.

I think Landry maybe a bit overrated.

Decent player, hell even solid player, but a tad overrated.

Sorry.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

man, I know, I said that in jest to those who claim that the team is out of shape, and that AH needed a break in the first drive....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

pgug,
Thank you for that reference, sitting in the library and got the image of Chappelle bouncing up and down on the couch, just busted out laughing people looking at me and everything.

Posted by: theFreshinAU | September 17, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry peeps, wasn't stateside when the Chappelle show was being aired... I missed out, but have been told it's funny as hell.

manalive, bean's 2:59 was a joke you didn't get, sort of like me with the "UNITY" te-he-he...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

red, gonna agree with you on landry, I'm just not sure if its more the manner in how he's used, or if we fans, just might overrate him. prolly somewhere in the middle....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Now that is funny, everyone's so critical on here, it was the first game, I'm sure Albert will continue to be the beast that he was in TN. Can we have a little patience?

Posted by: gentlestep | September 17, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher is a true pro and has been a hell of a football player and a class act ever since he arrived to play for the Redskins, continue to get 'er done LF59

Posted by: retroskins14 | September 17, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

You need to get the DVD's at least for the Rick James episode and Clayton Bigsby.

I hold Landry to a high standard probably just based off that Seattle playoff game. 2 picks, flying around and visibly pissed on the bench when they lost. I think its just a matter of time till the light goes on. It even took some time for ST21 to cut out some of the stupid penalties and completely dominate. He won't be Taylor but has the ability to be a great safety.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 17, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Agree with Red about Landry. Problem is I don't think he is a natural FS. Personally, I would like to see the skins pick up Mays(usc) or Berry(tenn) in the 1st.

Then address line, lb, and rb using draft and FA.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 17, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, but does Jim Zorn remind you of Joel Olsteen?

Jim Zorn bumps John Tesh on the iPod and Olsteen on podcast.

Sorry if I offended any WWJD peeps.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

pps, that would be 3 very high draft picks spent on safeties....unprecedented...and I think we'd be better served using picks elsewhere...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I think after ST21 left us, we all kind of held out hope that Landry would fill his shoes and continue his style of play. In that scenario we are doomed, no one can fill that dudes shoes.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought Landry was a bit heavy on swagger and lacked discipline when we first got him. He threw his whole body into hits like he was trying to imitate ST. But he's been with us awhile now and I'm starting to get fed up with his play a bit. I'm all for attitude but he seems to be going for knockout hits instead of making the sure tackles. I thought he'd smarten his gameplay and he hasn't.

Posted by: pgugino | September 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Nice one, RedD!

anyone else?

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Channeling my inner Zorn on gameday:

In my head:
You are the dancing queen
Young and sweet, only seventeen

Out loud:
Ok, where's my script?

In my head:
Dancing queen, feel the beat
From the tambourine, oh yeah

Out loud:
"Jason, script says run Portis left"

In my head:
You can dance, you can jive
Having the time of your life

Out loud:
"Jason, script says end around to ARE option pass"

In my head:
Ooh see that girl, watch that scene
Dig in the dancing queen

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 17, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Yea I know it was a dumb post.

I just wish the team were in a position where they could pick either one.

Instead our needs will probably be 1. qb 2. line 3. lb

Just hope that if those are our needs, that we address them in that order.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 17, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The boy Mays is going to be a mothertruckin' beast in the NFL. I think he's a sure thing. I'd be siced if we got him.

He reminds me of another FS we all knew... has the same frame and attitude and all.

I haven't seen Berry play yet, but I've heard about him. I think they play Florida this Saturday, so I'll tune in.

We as fans always overrate 'skins players.

How else can you explain anyone thinking that Betts is worth "no less than a 4th" and Moss is worth a first round pick?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

It's true! Jim Zorn WROTE Dancing Queen!

lmfao....

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

LL is channeling Stanley Richard with his play, makes me so mad

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

It's true! Jim Zorn WROTE Dancing Queen!

lmfao....

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

False. He actually wrote 'tiny dancer' for elton john.

He only inspired 'dancing queen'.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 17, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Haven't seen Mays yet but anyone check out Jahvid Best's highlight reel? This kid looks like Darren Sproles 2.0. I sure wouldn't mind having him couple with Portis. Only question is if he's too small.

Posted by: pgugino | September 17, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Mays is a monster. Berry is more of an Ed Reed type, think instant offense when he gets his hands on the ball.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

hip hip

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 17, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has "Let's Dance", "Private Dancer", and "Everybody Dance Now" on the iPod also.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

beepins...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

BTW, hip hip = beep beep in zornspeak

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 17, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I guess I disagree with most:

Given his athleticism, size, strength and speed Haynesworth seems more like a Reggie Smith DE in the 4-3 as opposed to a DT. I think he would be more effective there.

Again if Ravens linebackers can accumulate 10-15 sacks a year and make the pro bowl (same size, basically the same makeup) then so should Orapko if he is that talented.

To say he should be in a two point is silly when the guy hasn't show that he can handle an OT and G doing a running play right down his throat. Otherwise he would be in there and Daniels would be out. Blache isn't playing favorites.

Posted by: periculum | September 17, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

not Superman.

Really?:>

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 17, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

i like mays too RED but i didn't see much of that Meast power behind any of his hits last weekend. maybe i haven't seen enough. i know he's really impressive in coverage but i haven't seen him murderalize a guy like 21 used to.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 17, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 17, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

While you are at it, watch Florida's safety, Major Wright. He is pretty good himself, not that I am biased or anything. He is the one who crushed Oklahoma's receiver in the National Championship game.

Google Major Wright hit, you'll see it there.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 17, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

You can find it on You Tube as well, I cant get on it at work to post you a link.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"...his play apparently spoke loudly against the New York Giants. Haynesworth's strong performance was among the Redskins' few bright spots in a mostly disappointing outing during New York's 23-17 victory..." --RI The Mayor

No doubt, Haynesworth gave the SECOND BEST performance by a veteran all-pro defensive lineman who switched teams before the season started.

Number one? Why that would be Richard Seymour of the Oakland Rayduhs.

Posted by: TheCork | September 17, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Yah, King Kong conquered NY physicaly but... 100 million would be a good down payment on the Empire State Building. Maybe London Fletcher will bring down Big Ben... In the Super Bowl. But as sources go they're some good ones.

Posted by: chavez66 | September 17, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pgugino | September 17, 2009 3:50 PM
I've always supported 100 percent, but I have to admit, on that first big run, a couple of years ago, he would have willed himself into the endzone. He just didn't seem to have a full tank; trouble is, it was the beginning of the first game of the season. His tank should have been full.

Posted by: kenboy1 | September 17, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

testing 1 2 3

Posted by: jenksredskins | September 17, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree with u PortisPocketsStr8 about Beery I've watched him since last Sept ( I was a big Robert Ayers Fan)but he would allow Landry to play that angle position or deep safety he plays so well, Berry reminds me of ST21 (R.I.P) the year we drafted him, Berry best skills sets are complete opposite of Landry's but are much better than Hortons Berrys a more natural athlete than Horton but with that said I wouldn't use a high 1st on him which is what it will take to land him. And far as best from Cal if we can land him he would solidify 3 positons for us maybe 4 if u count a change of pace back (Back up to CP,KR,PR)and he's a tad bigger than DS from San Diego

Posted by: robbkels | September 18, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Please tell me the Albert backlash has begun already!

Last year's opener, Brandon Jacobs went for 116 yards on 21 carries. This year, 46 yards on 16 carries.

London Fletcher was good in both games, so what was the difference in stopping the Jints main power back?

It sure wasn't Landry (who I'm starting to doubt will ever be an elite player).

Lay of Albert! HTTR!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | September 18, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I of course meant "please don't tell me the Albert backlash has begun already!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | September 18, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Mays is an absolute HORSE. Physically, he is an ST clone. Plus, he has brains.

Best player in the '10 draft; hands down.

That being said, we will be drafting a QB with our top pick in '10. Snead, Ole' Miss....

Posted by: eanderson4 | September 18, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse