Fletcher sweats out Pro Bowl announcement

Middle linebacker London Fletcher is eagerly awaiting the announcement of the NFL Pro Bowl rosters, which will be televised at 7 p.m. Tuesday on the NFL Network.

After 12 seasons in the league, Fletcher hopes to be chosen for his first appearance in the game. But the Redskins' poor record (4-11) could work against the steady, consistent performer.

"Obviously, I'd love to go, [but] it's kind of tough if you don't win a lot of ballgames," he said. "That's the one thing about it. We haven't won a lot of ballgames this year."

And there are other deserving players at his position, Fletcher acknowledged. "Some good players in the NFC playing middle linebacker this year. It's a lot of good competition," he said "They only can take two guys. Obviously, I feel like I'm deserving. But they're some other guys that are deserving as well. Lord willing, I hope to make it. It would be a nice consolation prize to a very long and frustrating season."

By Jason Reid  |  December 28, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins know evaluations have only just begun
Next: Poll: What's the biggest distraction?

Comments

The ineptness which this team embodies is stunning. We have coach's who seemingly don't game plan, they simply put their 'scheme' out there week after week, Blache on defense, and JZ/Lewis on offense, they don't put players in situations to make plays, the national media has jumped in on the feel bad for JZ thing, and I simply don't get that, if you don't score more than 30 points in over a year, then you DESERVE to have the play calling taken away, and as Collinsworth pointed out, on a 3 step drop, when your back heel hits the ground that thing has to get thrown, the ball HAS TO, come out. HAS. TO. JC has ZERO feel for the pocket, when to step up, or slide, or move laterally....there was a play where he ran into a sack, another play where instead of stepping up into the pocket, he just simply retreated....its just pathetic

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Correct me if I am wrong, but we now own the #5 pick in draft? I have us owning the tiebreaker with Cleveland due to our opponents having one fewer total victories? Can anyone confirm?

I don't know if its possible for us to get #4 or even #3 if we lose next week and KC and or TB win.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 28, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

fletch is going to get fined if not suspended...he nearly took the dude's head off

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 28, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------

NFL.com > League Standings confirm we are in the #5 slot right now. However, SD has nothing to play for, so I've got more money on moving down than I do moving up. Norv might spot us a pity win.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 28, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

i rather have a guy with less "talent" (i think by "talent" people mean size and the ability to throw a spiral and nothing else when they use that term with JC) for next year. rember tony banks? he was more exciting to watch than jc. there's got to be a second stringer sitting somewhere on a team that's better than this guy. orton was a backup so was that dude in carolina who's lighting it up now. cuz they simply can't bring this guy back they can't.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

from mistamayor

"But it doesn't take away from Allen's task: Evaluate every part of the football operation, and decide who to keep and who to let go."

"That's the tough thing," Campbell said. "You understand you are getting evaluated every play, and sometimes we're in a tough position and a lot of times it's not even fair."

So how do you evaluate an obviously gun shy quarterback?

At some point in the game I kept thinking a second string or rookie quarterback was playing under center.

But all I saw was #17.

In Campbell's defense, Fred Davis, Antawn Randle El, Malcolm Kelly, and Santana Moss don't make the best quartet of playmakers on anybody's sandlot.

And Campbell does get hit early and often when he drops back to pass.

All of which complicates his evaluation.

If I'm Bruce Allen, I still resign Campbell, and draft his replacement.

Why bring in a college kid to take the beating Campbell endures in between his "Aw shucks,...," moments?

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

deal, I'm leaning that way at this point, he's seemingly no further along at this point than his rookie year...I just don't know what to make of him....there just doesn't seem to be any progress with him...same things seem to be happening over and over...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld

I don't agree. Norv likes nothing better than to beat Daniel Snyder's team.

And with our continued woes at O line, we can't even win at Bingo.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 28, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

sorry moe, disagree with you here...if JC were more accurate, and threw the ball when he SHOULD, these guys would be more potent....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"It's not even fair...the situation I've been put in."
- Jason Campbell

I guaruntee, this is agent talk...trying to get him to start whining about how bad things are (and they are) to boost his value, but let me cross examine...

Even with protection:

1) You make reads too slow
2) You lock in on receivers
3) You have not led us on a game winning 4th quarter drive since you've been here.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

mattsoundworld - do those take into account the tiebreaker between us and cleveland (lower SOSchedule picks first)?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 28, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I know many are frustrated at the outcome of the game and the team's play on the field. But the notion that Tony Banks is more exciting than JC, is delusional. Tony Banks was a worse QB with worse numbers than Campbell -- behind better offensive lines than JC has had -- who would make 2-3 good long throws a game and then stink it up the rest of the time.

As for bringing him back, you tell me who they should go after instead who represents an improvement. Campbell has had games better than Matt Moore's last game this season, not to mention in prior years...and I'm positive many Bears fans said the same thing about Orton (another QB who performs worse than Campbell with a better team around him) that you are saying about Campbell. Hell, Philly fans have been making the same criticisms about McNabb for years!

JC gets a nasty case of happy feet when the Redskins play teams with a good pass rush. The same can be said for 90% of the QBs in the NFL (assuming they are also playing behind a sieve instead of a legit o-line). It's a miracle that JC has put up the numbers he has this season. Not many others would.

I wish people would stop talking about the skill positions when the line needs fixing. It makes me fear that all Snyder will to do is bring in a new QB and RB, and all the hamsters will be happy because there's been "change" at the high-profile positions. This would be the exact same bait-and-switch Snyder has pulled for the past 10 years...and based on the postgame comments I'm reading, he'd be justified in doing so because he would be "listening to the fans."

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

i think chris collinsworth cost jc a job next year or atleast a couple of millions...he disected the hell out of jc's game and all was bad...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

It harder to overcome the suck ass offensive line play than Campbell's suck ass playing.

On another note I saw Campbell stare down Malcolm Kelly on a catch that was ruled out of bounds. I just knew Jenkins was going to make an adjustment on the ball and pick it off...

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

okay what/how many picks do the skins have in 2010?

if kc doesn't pick before the skins, skins have a shot at Okung...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Fletcher - The guy plays with more heart & soul than anyone on the team. He never misses a tackle. He deserves the pro bowl.

JC - he is not a starting NFL QB. Despite the fact that the line is terrible. The guy can't make the reads, he has never been an accurate QB (look at his college stats). Look last night - the CB were blizting constantly off the edge - every 3rd down. He did adjust and go to his hot read... this offense is pathetic, they can't throw the ball more than 8 yards downfield. I know the line sucks but for Christ's sakes - roll JC out to one side and protect - Gibbs did it all the time. If I see another screen or 4 yard crossing route I am going to break my TV - it is maddening!

Either way - sad as it is we need to start over and get a new QB. JC is a league backup at best, will be proven when you see the Free Agent market for him.

Posted by: rskinsfan | December 28, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rskinsfan | December 28, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

When was ghe last time this team didn't lay an egg in prime time? Seems like they get 3 Sunday night or MNF games each year, and in each one they play worse than the last.

I tought the defense was somewhat respectable last night. Nice to see that it's very tough for any team to get a 3rd or 4th and one against them. And I watched the replay several times and never saw where Barber got the ball over the goal line before his knee hit...

It's going to be another interesting offseason.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 28, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@ dealer1

When you say Tony Banks was better than JC, you lose all credibility. Everyone and their mother understands that the losing is getting to you.

Banks had Stephen Davis and young Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen protecting his hind parts. In fact, Stephen Davis ended up 3rd in rushing yards that season.

JC is 7-2 when he has a RB top 100 yards. He's 12-10 when the Skins simply have the games leading rusher (any yardage). Of course, by now, JC may be so banged up that he may be useless, but he is not at the top of our priority list.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 28, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

deal, yeah, the truth that CC was spouting wasn't pretty about JC....I recall him saying something about JC trying too hard to make a perfect throw/perfect play....

red, staring down receivers, I mean, thats something in his 5th year in the league, he shouldn't be doing....he should be looking off safeties, or audibilizing to a different play, depending on the coverage...I'm just not seeing much progress..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly is a bust.

Plain and simple.

He got an extended opportunity last night to show his wares, and looked awkward and out of sorts.

Dude has been in the league 2 years now: when does the light come on?

He has the size but not the skill to be an elite NFL receiver.

Devin Thomas is far ahead of him in terms of ability.

The team should sit Kelly this week and give Marko Mitchell and extended look.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Bean, Campbell is going to be of those guys who will look great one week and look like he's playing in his 3rd career game the next.

Inconsistent is Campbell's watchword.

But this may be the worst offensive line I've ever seen.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

inexcuseable, unforgiveable.

good riddance to anyone on this squad who goes. Anyone who stays gets an automatic grudge.

get ready for 4 years of more suck.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 28, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I guess I want them to resign JC for cheap if they can, but they need to get a good replacement to coach up asap. Collinsworth pointing out that he missed that pre snap corner blitz is bad. Watching Romo move around in the pocket and then making perfect throws was frustrating. Brees did that too. I just don't know if I would want to throw a rookie in there until the oline improves/stabilizes.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 28, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

OK NOW I'M MAD!!!!!

STOP TROTTING OUT CAMPBELL'S STATS!!! STOP GIVING ME THIS "WHO ELSE ARE YOU GONNA BRING IN THAT'S BETTER"? I'M WILLING TO TAKE THAT CHANCE!

WHY DO WE AS FANS HAVE SUCH LOW EXPECTATIONS THAT WE ARE AFRAID TO TAKE A YOUNG QB? WHY DO WE THING WE ARE THAT CLOSE TO GREATNESS THAT WE ARE WILLING TO STICK WITH AN AVERAGE TO BELOW AVERAGE QB???

WHAT IS CAMPBELL'S UPSIDE? WITH PROTECTION, WHAT HAS HE DONE AND WHAT DOES HE DO WELL? WILL HE LEAD US DOWN THE FIELD IN THE 4TH QUARTER?

YES, HE'S TOUGH, BUT THIS GUYS BRINGS SOME OF THIS ON HIMSELF. WHY CAN'T A 5TH YEAR PLAYER RECOGNIZE A BLITZ AND CHECK OUT OF IT???

I'm done!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"Malcolm Kelly is a bust"

Moe, put the bong down......that type of talk/mentality was prevalent last year when Fred Davis/DT were getting nothing and how did that work out...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Nobody on this roster deserves a Pro Bowl nod. Even Orapko, who with the rookie season sack record in sight, completely forgot how to rush a QB and hasn't even gotten a pressure in 2 weeks!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 28, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

re: tony banks being more exciting than jc. i said EXCITING not better. chill people...it's called exagerating facts to make a point...i forget what that big word is called. i WAS going to say danny woeful but i just couldn't bring myself to type his name...LOL...yeah jc is better than danny woefull...there i said it.

anyways...i'm beating a dead horse with this whole jc thing. i think we're going to find out pretty quickly, hopefully in two weeks what his fate's gonna be...

btw...sonny brought up a very good point regarding the regression of the offense in the past 2 weeks. he said that the nfl now has a tape on lewis and didn't before because they didn't know what he was going to do with the personnel he had but now they do and now the D's are just sitting on his plays...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to call Kelly a bust, Moe.

Think about these things:

Who's assigning Kelly those routes?

Who comes up with the gameplan?

Who's deciding how he'll be utilized in the offense?

Who is calling plays (once again)?

the offensive line.

Agree Thomas is looking miles ahead of Kelly right now. And Kelly was the one everyone was gassing up. Saying that he could be really good if he could stay healthy.

I think at some point Thomas wanted to shut those people the hell up.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly is a bust.

Plain and simple.

Dude has been in the league 2 years now: when does the light come on?

He has the size but not the skill to be an elite NFL receiver.

Devin Thomas is far ahead of him in terms of ability.

The team should sit Kelly this week and give Marko Mitchell and extended look.

Posted by: MistaMoe
-------------------------

I thought Kelly's play was alright. Not spectacular but not bad, not worthy of release or practice squad demotion. Thomas is better at this point, yes. And I would like you like to see Marko get a shot, badly.

Since this game is a complete throwaway which arguably, we would rather lose than win, I'd be happy to see Marko get activated as the number 2 receiver. Really put him out there, target him a lot. It's worth more to us to evaluate him than it is to win, and we've already evaluated Thomas and Kelly enough to know they should be here next year.

Posted by: REXskins | December 28, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------

CC called out JC for not seeing that corner blitz that almost broke him in half. CC may be right, but I'd like to offer a some muddling analysis.

1. JC was setting up to throw quickly (as in he may have known the blitz was coming) but replays showed the receiver had not gotten separation
2. It has been stated that protection assignment has been designated to the center.
3. It was an empty backfield, meaning the guy would have a free shot if the O-line was not responsible
4. There has been debate in previous games as to how much freedom JC has to audible. Hot reads require the WR to pick up the scent of a blitz as well, so without further information, it is hard to really say JC missed the blitz, a lineman missed an assignment, or a receiver missed a hot read.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 28, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

i love the fact that romo sucks against nfc east teams. that's awesome!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

red

"Not calling Campbell "the one", but I'd be really curious to see how he'll perform with a competent coaching staff on offense and a real NFL offensive line."

The thing about Campbell is the guy has been hit so much this year, you really don't know what you have.

I bet he wants to leave DC more than skinsfans want him to go.

He plays like a guy who's sick of getting hit on every play.

How does a quarterback get into a 'groove' when he doesn't have a solid ground game to fall back on or the blocking needed for 5 and 7 step drops?

Campbell is not a 3-step WCO quarterback: folks should've told Cris Collingworth that before the broadcast.

And what system is best suited for him?: the one Norv Turner will feature this weekend in San Diego.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

How many tackles did LL30 wiff on last night? I lost count after the first half. This guy is a liability in every aspect of defense.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | December 28, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld

Yes sure, I'll take your analysis over CC any day. You obviously know so much more than he ever would.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 28, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1

I don't agree. I heard Collingsworth say that JC has been unable to make big plays because he has no protection and no time. This was in JC's defense.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 28, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Are we the only team that doesn't have a Fumble, INT, Kick Off or Punt Return for a TD this year?

We are consistently the only team that can't score outside of the offense... and our offense has a terrible time scoring!

We are the SUCK at scoring TDs! IN ALL PHASES OF THE GAME!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 28, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------------

Because Trent Dilfer has a ring

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 28, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

REDSKINS lose next week, whoever they play. KC wins, and we slide into fifth spot taking either OKUNG or BERRY. Yes-s-s.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 28, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

WHY CAN'T A 5TH YEAR PLAYER RECOGNIZE A BLITZ AND CHECK OUT OF IT???

Posted by: rickyroge

rr, you know this team as well as anyone up here.

You KNOW that Campbell isn't allowed to audible, per Jim Zorn's instructions.

Do you remember earlier in the season when Sonny Jurgensen debated Zorn about his play-calling in the red zone, and said that he would've pulled Sonny JURGENSEN if he'd audible into something else.

I know it's really wasy to pin this stuff on Campbell.

But again think of this:

Who's coaching Jason Campbell?

Who comes up with the gameplan?

Who is calling plays (once again)?

the offensive line.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Because Trent Dilfer has a ring

Posted by: mattsoundworld

He's the exception, not the rule.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 28, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

until we have a 'real' NFL caliber coach leading this team, then we really don't know what we have as far as skill players go....they've hardly been put into situations that maximize their skills...until the new coach is in place, and until they start game planning, then we'll start to see what these guys can do...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I watched the Panthers drop 41 on the Giants in their own house yesterday. The thing is, the Panthers are also missing their two starting OTs and have only one break-away wide receiver.

So, what's the difference?

The Panthers have a young QB who makes quick reads and very good running backs.

Posted by: swowra | December 28, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

mattsoundworld

"JC was setting up to throw quickly (as in he may have known the blitz was coming) but replays showed the receiver had not gotten separation"

The receivers the skins feature don't get separation: that's been a big issue for a couple of seasons.

Only Thomas and Moss have breakaway ability, and Thomas was hurt.

M Kelly was caught from behind on two crossing routes, F Davis was covered like a blanket, Moss smothered by Newman, Randle El was blanketed underneath, and beyond them, the skins had no playmakers on the field.

Kelly, Moss, Randle El, and Davis are a sorry group of guys for any quarterback to have to depend on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1
==================

I'm willing to bet that talent evaluators, coaches, and owners don't listen to a word of game commentary. They're probably busy watching game tape and evaluating on their own, and don't need or want the input of professional talkers.

Posted by: REXskins | December 28, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

For those who missed, this (and other letters from Chia) is worth a repost. Although I hope you're wrong about that "p.s."

Dear Jim Zen,

I always liked you. You had me at "maroon and black." You're goofy and sincere and have spikey hair. I thought you would be an excellent mentor and teacher for these young men. Not quite sure what happened, but I'm sorry, and nice try, kinda...

Warmest Regards,
Chia Pet

P.S.
Dan Snyder's Redskins won't do much better without you next season, which may or may not be of some consolation to you.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | December 28, 2009 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I agree what you said at 9:29, but this can also apply to Malcolm Kelly.

It's hard to evaluate Kelly, when the guy throwing him the ball is either dodging guys or getting sacked altogether due to the horrible job of the guys who are supposed to be blocking upfront.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Dealer -- yeah, you can only call the plays that are in the book.

This past season has been an exposure of Jim Zorn. Going 0-6 in the NFC East? Each team knew what the Redskins game plan was going to be, and how to out-scheme them. And Zorn could NOT counter. JZ could not find a way to attack DAL or NYG defenses. PHI was easier since the Redskins match up with them pretty well.

Except for NYG at home, Blache did OK in keeping the score down. (DAL 17 & 7, PHI 27 & 27, NYG 23 & 45). Those should be competitive, and v. Dallas winnable. Yet offensively, JZ stunk the joint up.

Yes, the Oline is completely banged up and starting third-stringers and guys who were free agents during the season. The starting RB was a FE pickup as well. But getting completely shut down by both NYG and DAL 4 times? That's coaching.

BTW, Collinsworth has lost it. He confused offense and defense last night. He critiqued JC17 on not reading a corner blitz by the position of the safety? GMAFB! The safety could easily have been positioning to provide deep cover for either of the two wideouts. Since the play was going to the other side, JC ignored it.

What happened was that DAL called the perfect blitz for that play. Probably because they knew what was coming.

Zorn is a nice guy. He's not an NFL head coach, though he plays one on TV.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I love Fletch. If only we had 22 L F-Bs...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 28, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

lisa, you obviously only heard what you wanted to hear. you should read our transcript from last night's game in the previous posts. actually collinsworth's criticism was so "honest" that it's probly on youtube.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

dcp, you're incorrect on the corner blitz, the cb, started creeping towards the line, and the safety was creeping towards the spot where the cb normally would be....as the cb got closer to the LOS, the safety got to where the cb was originally....JC should have seen this, and recognized it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Lmao @ Zorn backers...

You had me at "maroon and black."

Funny, that is where he lost me... it was a sign of things to come from that idiot.

By 8 PM next Sunday, I want to see "Redskins fire Jim Zorn" going across the crawler on ESPN or NBC.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

red

"It's hard to call Kelly a bust,..."

To be honest, Campbell is not the only player who doesn't fit the alleged WCO the skins run.

Kelly should be on a system like Norv's where he's running corner, post, deep comebacks, and square-in routes.

The skins have a big receiver in Kelly running hitches and curls.

Until they use Kelly differently, we'll never know what he can do.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | December 28, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Because if you're far from greatness, you'll stay that way if you waste time, picks and money on a so-called top-flight QB BEFORE you build up your O-line?

You're willing to take that chance? Snyder has been willing to take "that chance" too -- over and over again, and at the expense of more important positions. That's why the Redskins have been mediocre for a decade.

I'm not opposed to bring in young signal-callers with potential. For instance, I'd like to see the 'Skins go after the Steelers' 3rd-string rookie QB out of Oregon if he's available for cheap. That's so they have a backup plan(s) if JC is too shell-shocked to be relied on. Ever notice how ALL the Steelers' backups always seem capable of winning games?

I love how everyone is pointing out the critical things that Collinsworth said about JC as if 1) they are gospel, and 2) he doesn't say the same stuff about most of the league's QBs at least once a game. Newsflash: CC doesn't know everything -- none of these talking heads do. If they did, Tom Brady would never have had a chance to start in the NFL. And he says stuff like that all the time about a lot of guys. With the good QBs he plays up their positive plays and downplays their negative ones. With the bad teams/mediocre QBs, he does the opposite. Not surprising.

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

jcabana, we're not saying their gospel, but rather that JC is who we thought he was....have you seen progress to the point where you're happy and set at the QB position??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Collinsworth verified what has been evident - Campbell does a bad job with presnap reads. He should be further along in this regard at this point. We should probably bring him into camp next year and let the new HC decide, but it appears at this point he is not the long term answer.

Posted by: skinfanman | December 28, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

JC should have seen this, and recognized it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Again, what is the dude supposed to do when he can't even audible into a play that will offer him protection?

That stuff is on Zorn, not Campbell. Zorn's idea of letting Campbell audible is when he checks down to a receiver underneath. That is the only way Campbell is allowed to adjust to the blitz.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

red, i think losable type ate my reply. there is a reason why jc doesn't have certain freedoms like audibling. and that is that coaches like joe gibbs (3 SB ring), saunders (1 SB ring), zorny (1 SB appearance as a coach to a QB that has had a couple of good seasons) think jc sucks. more appropriately they do not trust him.

who are we, as fans to disagree with all three of these coaches?

Posted by: dealer1 | December 28, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Beantown, go back and look at it. When Campbell was reading the coverage the FS was 10-15 yards off the line and the corner was showing press with inside technique.

The CB showed blitz after 17 started his count.

Yes, maybe he should have looked over there, stopped the count, backed out, audibled to another play. That seems to be asking a lot for a QB under center. In the shotgun, yes. This is why teams use the shotgun formation a lot: like DAL, NWE, IND, etc.

The real problem was that the formation tipped the play, and DAL called a blitz that could not be picked up. For CC to say what he did, based on absolutely no knowledge of the Redskins scheme, is BS.

For every play, there is a perfect defensive counter. DAL was calling a lot of them last night.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Another day, another discussion about JC17...

Here's my thing: it's definitely fair to criticize him. Soup plays brilliantly against the Saints a few weeks back and then is bad in back-to-back weeks against the Giants and Cowboys. But I don't think you can make a definitive judgment call on him. I mean, come on -- JC17 plays behind one of the worst offensive lines we've had in a decade, and is coached by one of the Top 3 most clueless coaches in the NFL. I don't know how many QB's could take that situation and turn it into W's.

Just sayin...

Posted by: mattylight | December 28, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

bean

"..JC should have seen this, and recognized it.."

Thing is, how much time was left on the playclock?

The corner/safety had the blitz timed out very well.

Maybe the cowboys knew that when the skins went into an empty set, they'd never audible out of whatever play they'd call.

Collingsworth missed that part of it.

Should Campbell have taken a 'delay' penalty to avoid the pressure/sack?

Maybe he saw the blitz, but knew he couldn't change to a more appropriate play as he's not allowed to audible.

Things are more complicated that Collingsworth made them out to be.

The simplest analysis is that the skins didn't have the running game/protection/audible system to make the cowboys play differently all night long.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 28, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Conclusions I've come to about this team :

1. Our OLine Sucks - 3 step drops even have to be rushed
2. We dont have a running back that would even make it on a winning team
3. JC still sucks enough of the time that with him at QB we can look at a career full of average at best seasons. Keep him this year but sign or draft a replacement.
4. Haynesworth is a fat lazy spoiled rich athlete. Oh, and a Thug.
5. Portis is a cancer on this team.
6. JZ is a nice guy but not HC material.
7. Blache is stubborn. Top 10 defense with Top 5 talent doesn't impress me.
8. Fred Davis is a long ball threat so use him at his strength.
9. Oh yeah. 3 step drops don't give you time to go long.
10. If Bruce allen can get us back to being a legit pro team, nevermind the playoffs, he should be Exec of the year again.
11. Its hard rooting for this F%$#ing team anymore.

Posted by: scottmando1 | December 28, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

So, what's the difference?

The Panthers have a young QB who makes quick reads and very good running backs.

Posted by: swowra | December 28, 2009 9:36 AM

I guess 200 yards of rushing by the starting RB is bullsh!T. Look this team sucks in all phases. I"m down with JC staying or going because I know that Shanahan and his son understand the QB position, and will understand if Campbell has enough to be a QB for this team.

Posted by: TWISI | December 28, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

honk

Posted by: mattylight | December 28, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

poll poll...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 28, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME:

JASON CAMPBELL ISN'T ALLOWED TO AUDIBLE BECAUSE JIM ZORN SAID THAT HE ISN'T ALLOWED TO.

I think Campbell's bad play comes from:

1)The guy that is coaching him, Jim Zorn

2)The playcaller for the most part of the last two season, Jim Zorn

3) The front office inability to bring in a real head coach, and their ass-backwards way of going about the hiring process once Gibbs stepped down which falls at the feet of Snyder, Cerrato, or both.

4) The Redskins unwillingness to put a quality starting offensive line in front of Campbell. This falls on Cerrato, Snyder, or both.

5) Jason Campbell, himself.

Again, not saying Jason Campbell is "the one" (although I think many expect Campbell to be like P. Manning, Brees, and Brady), but dude has been put in a situation to fail.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 28, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Why the hell is anyone on this team sweating out any type of award? "To the VICTOR goes the spoils" This team is horrible and I hope that no one is selected to do anything except quit or retire!!! This is sickening. We are always trying to make people feel good. We need to hurt some feelings. This team sucks!!!! They absolutely suck!!!! We have bought Jerseys for 10 years with them selling a pipe dream. It is time for this organization, players included, it is one organization to earn our respect! WE HAVE GIVEN IT TOO FREELY!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | December 28, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

What the Redskins need to do is spend the next couple of years building the Oline.

Look at the NYJ: their OL is all first-round picks.

RT - Woody - 17th overall by NEW
RG - Moore - undrafted FE
C - Mangold - 26th overall by NYJ
LG - Faneca - 26th overall by PIT
LT - Ferguson - 4th overall by NYJ

A nice mix of FE and draft picks, with one diamond in the rough. Compare WAS, as planned:

RT - Heyer - undrafted FE
RG - Dockery - 3rd round by WAS
C - Rabach - 3rd round by BAL
LG - Thomas - 2nd round by NYJ
LT - Samuels - 1st round by WAS

Now, they did pick up two former 1st rounders via FE, Jones and BMW. But there's a reason they were FE during the year.

So the NYJ have a solid OL, a good running game, and a DREADFUL rookie QB. And are in the playoff hunt.

Posted by: dpc2003 | December 28, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

whateves...bring in new regime....then we'll know which of these players are posers...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 28, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jtrob_1 | December 28, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I agree..I have a closet full of expensive Redskins jerseys that ain't worth pulling out and putting on. What am I gonna do? Draw attention to the fact that I love the worst franchise out there? What a bunch of screw ups!! Snyder should pay US to where that garbage!

Posted by: scottmando1 | December 28, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jtrob_1 | December 28, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando1 | December 28, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

People STOP IT JC has started 31 games I think we have seen enough

Posted by: BenchCampbell | December 28, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

JC started 31 games for the skins because he was drafted in the 1st rd. and we have crap for backup QB. In his defense he does play for an incompetent coach and a dysfunctional team. BUT - he also is a dumbass who makes too many mistakes and too few big plays. He isnt a leader and he isnt a winner. He isn't our biggest problem by far but he isn't part of the solution either. He is an avg QB at best.

Posted by: scottmando1 | December 28, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

SUISHAM 5 - REDSKINS 0

He wins! Plus he has a shot at a super bowl ring. He gets last laugh.

Too bad Fletcher is a Redskin. On a real
team, he would be in the Pro Bowl.

Have they fired the coaches yet? The
defensive guy first. Will he back off 30 yeards when he's called into the office?

Posted by: DeployedFan | December 28, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I'd challenge everyone to focus less on individual players and more on the styles of the probable new organization. Here are a few things that I've seen from looking at some previous Bruce Allen/ Mike Shanahan clubs:

- Run heavy WCO with no emphasis on name running backs (CP may be gone, is Bettis the new guy with a young draftee/FA)
- Shanahan usually stays with his guy (QB) and does not normally deviate (Remember he had Jake Plummer and won with him). He might make another play for Cutler but will stick with whomever he chooses (QBs flourish under him- See Brister, Bubby, Elway, John, Plummer and Cutler) If he keeps JC and JC doesn't cut it then JC cant cut it - (He and Holmgren are the two guys I would choose to groom a QB) I think they'll possibly keep JC and draft a young QB in the 2nd or 3rd RD
- His offensive lines has always been good to excellent with his choice being smaller O linemen with more versatility (more cut blocks) This should be comforting to Skins fans
- Allen had the Tampa 2 but it should be interesting what their approach to D is. Shanahan likes having at least one shut down corner IOT take away half the field and give the D more of an advantage in his heyday Denver D was top 5 in points allowed and first in yards. Think that there will be a new D coordinator in town as well.
- A shut down corner could be an emphasis in the draft or free agency ( I think CB is a bigger need than most think)
- MS falls in love with DLs a lot and tends to overpay for them but we already have that here.
- In conclusion, we would be very fortunate as an organization to have Mike Shanahan as coach. I again challenge everyone to consider what the new organization will bring to the table versus worrying about JZ, GB and the current members (They'll probably only be around for one more week)

Posted by: dabwilldo40 | December 28, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"Tony Banks was a worse QB with worse numbers than Campbell -- behind better offensive lines than JC has had -- who would make 2-3 good long throws a game and then stink it up the rest of the time.

Posted by: jcabana | December 28, 2009 9:07 AM "

Ummm, at worst (for Tony, and best so far for Jason) Tony Banks = Jason Campbell.

Banks MAY (it's arguable...Yes he had Jansen & Samuels, and Rabach, BUT he ALSO had; G-Dave Szott?!?! G-Matt Campbell...really?!?!?!? better?!?!?!?) have had a better line, but had NO WRs worth a damn (Skins WRs led league in drops) Rod Gardner, Kevin Lockett, Derrius Thompson, Michael Westbrook, and Michael Bates. Wow, what a lethal WR corps...not.

Banks had a banged up re-tread Ki-Jana Carter and an injured (knee) Stephen Davis at RB...so not any better there, either.

Banks also had to rely on Robert Royal, Marco Battaglia, and an injured Stephen Alexander at TE...so THAT was not at all better EITHER now was it?

Add to that the fact that the 2001 Skins' D were by no means world stoppers and it is a MIRACLE the team went 8-8.

Now Kent Graham does get 1 of the 8 starting wins from 2001, but, Jeff George gets 3 of the losses...so that's still a better win loss % than JC 17...

If you (and other Campbell apologists) want to make an argument for JC17, you can say Banks had a better HEAD coach, but he was NOT an offensive coach..., but that's only valid as opposed to Zorn.

Facts are so messy when used to debunk feelings and opinions...aren't they?

Posted by: ThinkingMan | December 28, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Coaching staff: GONE, GONE, GONE (and that goes double for the Bingo Caller). Quit farting around with marquee names and old war horses for nostalgia's sake, and bring in guys who are mechanics and students of the game. (And I think Shanahan was about one more bad call away from pulling out a gun and shooting into the stands before he was shown the door, so leave him out to pasture. I don't think that guy is mentally stable anymore.)

OL: Heyer, Williams, Jones GONE. See what you can salvage from IR, then just hold your nose and muck the stable.

WR corps: GONE, to a man. Hit the reset button here.

TE: Rebuild around a healthy Cooley.

RB: Portis GONE. Find a big, slobbering bruiser who can rattle the teeth of anyone he collides with, and knocks them back five yards. Nickname him, 'Mongo'. Keep Cartwright and Ganther in the mix - a healthy and competent OL could open holes these smaller guys could squirt through.

QB: Collins GONE. The day after SD puts a whuppin' on them, give JC the option of open competition for his job in '10, or cleaning out his locker. Since the investment's already been made, bring back Brennan for one more shot, start window shopping for a couple of potential starters under 30, and a good backup who doesn't date back to the Johnny Unitas era. Auditions start at mini-camp.

P/K: Keep 'em both. Aside from the 'Skins needing some stability here, they're probably the best secret weapons this offense has at the moment. Gano is still an unknown quantity in the clutch, but has a wrecking ball for a leg. And ya gotta love a punter who can both rush and pass for TDs. Sometimes better than the offense can.

There, fixed the offense for ya. See how easy that is? LOL :-)

Posted by: ericenderle | December 28, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse