For Campbell, Zorn, It's All About Winning

Beginning today, quarterback Jason Campbell will answer reporters' questions during his weekly group interview session before practice at Redskins Park.

Throughout his 2 1/2 seasons as a starter, Campbell has been among the league's most accessible guys at the game's highest-profile position. I've seen Campbell give as much time to reporters representing the smallest newspapers as he does to the guys from Sports Illustrated, ESPN and the NFL Network.

While reporting a story on Campbell that appeared in Wednesday's print edition of the paper, Campbell addressed the growing speculation that he and Coach Jim Zorn are likely outta here soon unless the Redskins have a great season. I saved his response just for the Insider because, well, I roll with you guys first.

Campbell said he and Zorn view the situation similarly -- win and everything will take care of itself.

"It's all about winning. The more we win, the better it's going to be for everybody. We're both confident in what we can do as individuals to help this team do that. I'm confident when I step out onto the field and he's confident in being the head coach of this team and calling plays. I know I've grown at the quarterback position because of what I've been through, and he's seen all the defenses now and is just going to be better because we, the players, are going to be better with another year in the offense.

"So all that stuff out there ... it just wouldn't make sense for him to listen to it or for me to listen to it. You're aware of it, but, again, winning takes care of all of that. I know Coach Zorn believes in me and I believe in him and what we're trying to accomplish here as a team. It's about the team goal, not individual goals, so we just have to win. That's what it's all about."

The locker room opens today at noon, so we'll have more this afternoon. Later.

By Jason Reid  |  September 9, 2009; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell Steps into Leadership Role
Next: Dockery's Ex-Teammate Seems Unlikely Fit

Comments

Posted by: prescrunk | September 9, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I believe in JC and JZ. I don't believe in our O-line. I'm hoping that the O-line can do enough to save their jobs this year, so that we can restock the O-line before next season. This can be a championship team next year if we boost the O-line in the draft/FA.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 9, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

if only that were true Rypien11. go skins.

Posted by: sjw1 | September 9, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Saying all the right things, but you gotta put up or shut up.

Lose Sunday and the cacophony of criticism will grow even louder...

I just hope Zorn ses the writing on the wall and pulls out all the stops this year to WIN NOW. That means going for the jugular every game...no more of this play it safe stuff.

Posted by: McMetal | September 9, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

anyone know if Fox is showing the Redskins/Giants game on the 4:15 slot??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

They are around here (DC area)

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 9, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

BG- It's on in the Boston area. Yeah, baby!

Posted by: bostskin | September 9, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I believe in JC and JZ... This can be a championship team next year if we boost the O-line in the draft/FA.

Posted by: Rypien11

ROFL thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard. if this was a championship team we would have not clowned out like that at the end of last year. our best QB is Tom Collins. do u even watch the Skins??

Posted by: prescrunk | September 9, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 9, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I see Zorn and Campbell on the street at the end of the season. I see both heading to Seattle. I see Mike Shannahan in maroon and black... no, make that burgundy and gold - Mike is smart enough to know his team's colors...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

welcome back redskirt

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

prescrunk,
I've never seen a Tom Collins, but I have guzzled a few...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Pashos was signed in SanFran yesterday.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

buy me a coke 4th!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 9:56 AM

Why would I do that??? I got free cokes in my fridge at work.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:21 AM

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

NICE!!!

Thanks bost, I'm psyched....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"our best QB is Tom Collins. do u even watch the Skins??

Posted by: prescrunk"

It's pretty obvious you don't.

Posted by: psps23 | September 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

i'm hoping the tom collins reference was joke otherwise you just proved who doesn't watch the skins

Posted by: mopp04 | September 9, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow......

Leave Ellis Lankster alone
Posted by Mike Florio on September 9, 2009 10:04 AM ET
As most of you know, we've got a soft spot for NFL players with connections to West Virginia University.

One guy to whom we've taken a shine this year is cornerback Ellis Lankster, an undersized seventh-round pick who made the team in Buffalo, thanks in part to a two-interception performance during a preseason game against the Bears.

So we're reluctant to give Lankster a hard time for his post-game media comments from that game. But several of you have sent the video to us, and the e-mails will continue until we post something about it.

Clearly, the kid was nervous. And we hope that he'll have plenty of opportunities to hone his press skills via a long and successful NFL career.

That said, did we laugh a little at his broken lawnmower/Miss South Carolina routine? We'd be lying if we said we didn't fall out of our chair and break our jaw against a cabinet.

Permalink 0 Comments Back to Top
Alleged victim in Harrison shooting dies
Posted by Mike Florio on September 9, 2009 9:50 AM ET
In the item posted earlier this morning regarding the case against Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, we mentioned the Marvin Harrison situation in Philly as proof of the reality that, sometimes, prosecutors opt not to pursue charges out of fear that a conviction can't be obtained, even if prosecutors subjectively believe that a person is guilty of a crime.

The mention of the Harrison case caused me to make a mental note to check on the status of the most recent twist -- the July 2009 shooting of the man who claimed that Harrison shot him in April 2008.

Coincidentally, a reader has submitted a link to the newest development. The man who was shot seven times on July 21, Dwight Dixon, died on Friday.

Before slipping into a coma, Dixon reportedly told police that he believes Harrison was behind the shooting, apparently because Dixon had sued Harrison as a result of the April 2008 incident involving a gun owned by Harrison.

In late July, police served a search warrant at Harrison's aptly-named Playmakers bar in Philly. The search was aimed at checking footage from surveillance cameras for images of the man who can be seen in separate surveillance video captured at the scene of the shooting.

Absent compelling evidence that either has not been uncovered or disclosed, it now appears that Harrison is in the clear as to both incidents.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

our best QB is Tom Collins. do u even watch the Skins??

Posted by: prescrunk | September 9, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

You can't make it up, folks.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 9, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Greg,
Not sure if they are up there in the NE. Check your local listings.

But it would be Fox. The rule is Fox shows all games where the visiting team is NFC, CBS shows all games where visiting team in AFC.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 9, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"no more of this play it safe stuff."

To play devil's advocate here, I believe a lot of the play calling last year was born of a desire not to have Campbell killed.

I was just as frustrated as everyone else, but I understand.

Posted by: bostskin | September 9, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: prescrunk

If the previous seasons' performance was a direct indicator of how a new season would go, they wouldn't play the games.

Not saying this is a championship team this year, but that reasoning is flawed.

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 9, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Im optimistic about the o-line. Buges missed most of camp last year and he wasn't there to coach up the young guys. I think we'll be able to patch it together this year and draft replacements next year. Though Javed Best from Cal is very tempting, that would be an incredible backfield.

Posted by: brian58 | September 9, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Why was this qoute saved for us? What was special about it?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Tracks the FOX n CBS broadcast maps.

*REPOST*

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 9, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Thanks cL! Finally crawled my way out of the foreclosure morass to make it back to RI in time for the season.

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 9, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Anybody know if Langston Walker is still available??.. Tony Pashos, late of the Jags, was snapped up before Vinny got off the Racquetball court.

4th Qtr substitutions on the OLine will decide the game. Up until then, it will be close. And Vinny's "not ready for the NFL backups" will have to step in.. How can Snyder and Vinny do nothing and watch much more talented OL personnel being grabbed off the waiver wire? And supposedly Skins are 20M under the salary cap (unconfirmed).

Poor JC will be running for his life, in NJ, like a Newark Saprano.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 9, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

ok give me a coke (we both posted agone to pats links at the same time)

Posted by: chrislarry | September 9, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Hm...glad I don't live in Maryland. According to that map, Fox won't be showing any game for the 1:00 slot.

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 9, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I just got the e-update from our RI wiki, It has been so long since I wasted time creating images for the wiki page I forgot I even created this one, http://redskinsinsiders.wetpaint.com/photo/6256091/Future+Skins+uniform?mail=1000

had to laugh.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 9, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow...now I know we're gonna miss the playoffs. That dicktip Rob Parker just picked the Skins as a wildcard and says JC will have a career year. That dude is ALWAYS wrong...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Once again a flawless answer from JC. You got to give him one thing, from day 1 nobody has handled the media controversy better than JC......but now he actually has to perform and win instead of talking about it.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 9, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

when does LANGSTON WALKER get into town?

Posted by: mopp04 | September 9, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: prescrunk

Who the hell are you?

I said, "Can be a championship team NEXT year". You don't think a team that went 8-8 in the hardest division in football with one of the worst O-lines and WR corps last year can boost itself up to championship contender in TWO years after significantly retooling the O and D lines over two offseasons?

And Tom Collins? Boy I hope that was a joke.

Please refrain from posting until you have anything intelligent to say.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 9, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Who is this Tom Collins fellow?

Speaking of practice squads, who is this dude I've been hearing about that was practice squad'ed the last two seasons, and was added to the 53 man roster?

I think he plays RB or something.

'skins/NYG has to be nationally televised, the only other options are SF/ARI and STL/SEA. I think most football fans would rather see WAS/NYG.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I for one hate that they limit it to 3 games during the regular day in most markets + your Sunday Night and Monday Night. Why cant they just run 4 games on reg-tv.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 9, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Langston Hughes

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

And supposedly Skins are 20M under the salary cap (unconfirmed).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Not even close. About 3-4M under. Where did you get that figure from? If that were true, we would have made another big signing.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 9, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

yeah, that's cause CBS has the Ravens early game in Maryland

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 9, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

prescrunk wrote..
our best QB is Tom Collins. do u even watch the Skins??
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're right prescrunk but, it will take a 1-3, or worse (0-4) start to see Collins start a game again.. Zorn was hired to develop JC not sit him.

Last Redskins QB to beat the Gints was Todd Collins on the Gints turf in a must win game for both teams..(Gints went on to win the SB that year).

From NFL.Com ref that December game in the Meadowlands where Collins was throwing into 50 mph gusts...(link below)

"The difference was that Todd Collins got big yardage on his successful throws, 20.75 yards per completion), while Eli Manning only got 10.2 yards per completion."

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 9, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Rypien11 posted:
Please refrain from posting until you have anything intelligent to say.

Uh, does that go for all of us?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Bootsy Collins

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

anyone know if Fox is showing the Redskins/Giants game on the 4:15 slot??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 10:19 AM |

It is the nationally televised game.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Red,
You nuts? Who would not want to watch SEA/STL.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

depends on which part of MD. Silver Spring is getting the CowPatties.

Mrs. Shuttle is very happy...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 9, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

RE: Maps

But what I wonder about is this - why does the entire Pacific Northwest get the SEA game, except this one little part on the Oregon/Idaho border that's getting the Giants - Redskins game...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 9, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Langston is 6'8, and 366. I'm curious to see if he could move inside to guard

Anyone know how he played last year for the bills?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 9, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

SkinsneedaGM, you aren't taking seriously, why even bother?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Red - You missed my comeback? Let me go find it and repost....sucka

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

it was on the most reliable sports resource.. REdskins INsider..hahaha.
thats why I said "unconfirmed"..
(didnt have time to research and more worried about the Red Sox)

Still with 4 Mil to wiggle with.. they could of made a play for Pashos or Langston Walker..
Not a new theory.. but, 250 Mil to the Defense (draft and FA) and 20 Mil to the Offense in the offseason, certainly looks like a "set up to fail" for JC and Zorn. More qualified sports writers have said the same..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And supposedly Skins are 20M under the salary cap (unconfirmed).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 9, 2009 10:43 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 9, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Bronze?

4th, you ol' King Tut face bama...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2009 5:26 PM

Ahhh...Good one....

Hey y'all - Do you remember BeBe's Kids?? Well.....RedDMV is one of the ORIGINAL BeBe KID! He was the older one that wore the purple sweater jacket and gansta symboled hat EVERYDAY. He was jackin (robbing) dudes since the age of 7 yrs old.

This was his 1st Music Video:

RedDMV is the 'Jaw Breaka, Candy Taka'....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Alex, my b... I forgot it's a division "rivalry". They at least have that going for them.

Although I do think that ARI/SF wouldn't be a bad game to watch if the 'skins weren't playing at 4.

"I WANT WINNERS!!!"

Posted by: RedDMV | September 9, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"no more of this play it safe stuff."

I was just as frustrated as everyone else, but I understand.

Posted by: bostskin | September 9, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

Portis = knicked
Betts = knicked
Samuels = knicked
Thomas = knicked
Jansen = coming off injury
Kendall = Father Time
Moss = knicked
El = Carlos Rogers Hands (on 3rd down)
DThomas = Automatic push off
Kelly = knicked

What play would have really worked? Runs were out. Pass protection was out. The only thing you have left is short dumps to an undersized duo of Moss & El.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even Belichick would have had problems conjuring up offense from that scenario.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 9, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Vodka Collins!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 9, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 9, 2009 10:44 AM

That was the only really recent time they were able to beat the Giants…..the way I remember it, Eli’s receivers/backs DROPPED like 19 balls; set a record for most drops in a game if I recall correctly….Skins played well, but that is one game where I would say that they got lucky (in the sense that the Gmen dropped all those catchable balls)…..

Let’s hope that our D blows em up this weekend. CAN’T WAIT TIL SUNDAY!!!!!!

PS, I also picked up M. Kelley as my “mr. irreleveant” in my fantasy draft…….here’s hoping…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 9, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Red,
I agree. The AZ/SC(got to get used to calling the the Santa Clara 49ers with them moving to a new stadium) game would be okay to watch.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Wow...just WOW

If you thought Emmitt Smith couldn't talk, you GOTTA see this guy!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 9, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I took Hakeem Nicks bit I'll pick up Kelly once someone on my team gets injured or demoted.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 9, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

sh*t weather, is a great equalizer.. Except when Riggo played..The dude feasted on it.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 9, 2009 10:44 AM

Let’s hope that our D blows em up this weekend. CAN’T WAIT TIL SUNDAY!!!!!!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 9, 2009 10:52 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 9, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

RE: Maps

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Idaho: Redskin Nation-West

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 9, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 9, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

our best QB is Tom Collins. do u even watch the Skins??

Posted by: prescrunk | September 9, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

Bartender! I'll have another Todd Collins and some more beer nuts.

Posted by: TheCork | September 9, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hot Toddy?

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 9, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Theres a lot of want to be bloggers out there.... But anyway, JC and JZ will be here next year after a great season. And the O-Line will be cause of all the success. Rack'em!!!

HTTR

Posted by: punchdaclock | September 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

And you're one of the 1% of people who think that TODD is the best QB. I guess you are smarter than all the coaches out there..and it wasn't the O-lines fault either, huh? Please refrain from posting until you have anything intelligent to say.
Posted by: Rypien11
_____
Just let me remind you about 1% of the people thought Kerry Collins was better than Vince Young before the start of the 2008 season.. So sometimes what people think and what is true is very different. Also in 2007 Gibbs thought Campbell was his best QB and would have played him the rest of the season until JC got hurt against the Bears.. then Gibbs got to see Collins come in and with the SAME OL win 4 games in a row. Gibbs said was the BEST performance off the bench he had EVER seen. You see coaches can make mistakes and sometimes seeing someone play can change minds. Look unless Collins gets a chance to play with the starting team we will never know who is better now. Campbell will get his shot.. I just hope Zorn isn't so locked into Campbell that regardless if JC is losing he still won't make a change.

Posted by: sovine08 | September 9, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

BG- It's on in the Boston area. Yeah, baby!

Posted by: bostskin | September 9, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Not sure where you live but I also live in the boston metro area and will be watching the game in framingham!

Posted by: overzealous08 | September 9, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Anybody read that moron's CP-Champ trade article? It made me laugh. I think the Redskins won that trade quite handily. CP is a beast and has carried the team on his back. HE should be a first ballot HOF. He has stones the size of potatoes.

Plus, we let Bailey go, brought in Springs as his replacement, drafted Taylor that same year to help out the secondary, drafted Carlos the next year, drafted Landry two years later, added D-Hall and this Barnes kid thsi past year. Denver has had instability at the RB position for 5 years and owns one of the worst D's in the league while we enjoyed many years of top 10 finishes.

Posted by: lavararrington | September 9, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

This site tracks the weekly broadcast maps

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 9, 2009 10:27 AM

----------

thanks mattsoundworld!

looks like we'll be watching here in LA

HTTR

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 9, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 |

--------------------

That is a smart unbiased pick by Parker. Redskins almost made the playoffs and JC almost had a career yr last year if it weren't for some misfortunes! now add more bulk on defense and offense and you would expect improvement

Of course, they have to prove it on the field,but all this ddom and gloom from the fans and the basic anti-Redskin bias in the media is BS and baseless!!

Negative fans, feel free to suck on JC's toenails by midseason!!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 9, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse