Former Terp Lattimore Gets a Look

In their ongoing quest to have every unsigned running back on their 53-man roster, the Redskins on Friday worked out former Maryland running back Keon Lattimore, Ray Lewis's brother, but do not plan to sign him because they have no roster room, a league source said.

Earlier this week, the Redskins worked out former Tennessee Titans running back Chris Henry, who played under offensive coordinator Sherman Smith when Smith with the Titans' running backs coach. The Houston Texans are expected to sign Henry.

Lattimore, who received an injury settlement from Dallas, came in for a tryout while the Redskins were trying to determine whether injured punter Hunter Smith would be able to play Sunday against the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium. Smith was injured on his first punt in the 16-13 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Smith's groin injury has not improved enough to have him active for the game, Coach Jim Zorn said after practice at Redskins Park, so the team plans to sign punter Glenn Pakulak from the practice squad. The Redskins have to cut a player to make room for Pakulak.

Having to add Pakulak, who also will hold for place kicker Shaun Suisham, ended any chance of adding a running back this week. But with Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts, Marcus Mason, Anthony Alridge and Rock Cartwright at the position, perhaps the Redskins will find a way to muddle through against the Panthers.

All kidding aside, the Redskins obviously have serious concerns about their ability to be effective in the running game this season. They're still searching for a spark at the position, and it seems clear major changes are coming at running back for this team next season.

By Jason Reid  |  October 9, 2009; 6:43 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Injury Report: Montgomery Inactive Again
Next: Golston Develops into Dependable Player

Comments

Posted by: DownTownClown | October 9, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

first to say wow, really ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 9, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

who are they going to cut ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 9, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

maybe a running back ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 9, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

f vinny and danny.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 9, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

f sally jenkins.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 9, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

maybe there long snapper

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 9, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

and f the cowboys.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 9, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I predict that Mason will be cut tomorrow.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 9, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

maybe Henson or AA

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 9, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

f vinny and danny.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 9, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Amen brother!!!!

Posted by: gre28man72 | October 9, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Someone will not be happy, and may get snapped up but one of our up comming opp. may the Eagles will swoop in .

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 9, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Can we get rid of the crock, I mean the rock already????

Posted by: gre28man72 | October 9, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I missed this but who got waived on the roster for Hunter the Punter's replacement?

Posted by: zornskins2 | October 9, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Mason is not on the cutting block is my guess, look for someone no one really wants, AA was just signed off someone elses practice squad.Last in first out..

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 9, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

But they have given Mason a few carries and they are obviously still looking, so I am guessing that Mason goes.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | October 9, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Does the front office just simply refuse to admit that the O-line is the problem? Throwing 2nd tier running backs into the game isn't going to change anything.

Posted by: az_david | October 9, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I've got to say, I just love that this team's scouting department is so expert on Maryland Terrapin players! Are there any other universities that produce good players, that we might want to investigate?

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 9, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm also wondering if this is the earliest in a season that the Skins have become a joke to the NFL and of course to Skins fans. A new milestone may have been reached!

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 9, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

What is the upside to the rock compared to Mason and AA??

Posted by: gre28man72 | October 9, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Could it be that our running game struggles due to a lack of openings? The mayor should've left out all kidding aside. What a complete waste of time. BTW, mayor, any word from our all world consultant?

Posted by: bostskin | October 9, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

It may be a case of one driving the other, but under Ralph, the Terps have a surprisingly high number of players in the NFL.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 9, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Dear Silly Snidely, Football teams ARE NOT 4 KIDS!?
It is well known that all models are incomplete. Nevetheless, that said, the correct model for improving the running game starts with BUIDING a YOUNG, strong OFFENSIVE LINE YOU DOLT!? Gee, didn't Gibbs, Betheard and company trade a starting QB (Schroeder) plus draft picks to get a starting left tackle (the very best in the NFL at the time)? Look at who played guard for those teams? Look at Donny Warren who hardly ever caught a pass at tightend? DOH!? And you keep telling us you are a fan Snidely? You seem more and more like a silly kid playing fantasy football? If you have the right line any reasonable QB should be able to pass behind it. Any reasonable RB should be able to run behind it.

Posted by: periculum | October 9, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

For those who watched that Packers-Vikes Monday night game, some comments from one of the stats geeks on the Pack giving up 8 sacks. Shows how important it is for the QB to get rid of the ball quickly:

"On four of the Vikings eight sacks, Rodgers held the ball for more than three seconds (as much as 5.7 seconds on one sack) and another turned into a sack because of a busted play...instead of getting rid of the ball more quickly because of that, Rodgers would wait and try to make the perfect pass."

"After timing each and every one of the 268 sacks that have been recorded in the first four weeks of the season it's becoming pretty apparent that the average sack occurs somewhere between 2.7 and 2.8 seconds after the snap of the ball. When announcers talk about a quarterback having an internal alarm clock to know when to get rid of the ball, that alarm clock generally should be going off around 2.7 seconds after the snap."

Posted by: Samson151 | October 9, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I say they cut someone like Wynn, someone whom they can re-sign on Monday after Pakulak is cut. Several teams practice this kind of stuff. Wynn still gets paid, and is usually in-active.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 9, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Rule and who is out there to drool? Snidely sponsored web pages must be a lot like his mind. A disorganized kid with colorful posters, dirty clothes and candy wrappers strewn everywhere while dreams of superbowls drift through his fat 5'3 10 year old brain ... but "online" Snidely is the 6'3" QB for the Redskins drifting back to pass ...

Posted by: periculum | October 9, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I know it's a Capt. Obvious statement, but how does a guy who grew up as a skins fan and idolized Joe Gibbs not recognize how integral having a dominant o-line like the Hogs is to a successful offense? Go ahead look at all the FA running backs you want. You're not going to improve the running game until you improve the line.

Posted by: skinswest | October 9, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Same old, same old with this team: they fix one hole (d-line) and two more come up.

It's pretty much written in stone now, isn't it? Zorn is gone.

Posted by: SteveMG | October 9, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

SHERM: " Thanks for your question, Mr. Mayor. Of course I love being here in Washington, the nexus of all power, um, here in the NFL. As to how I've been spending my time, of course there are many maps to consult of the many um, sights of freedom, and of course, maps of the AARP offices and the University of Maryland Campus."

Posted by: bostskin | October 9, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

" And of course, thanks to coach Gibbs for giving me the maps to area Denny's, where maps of senior citizens discounts to freedom may be found. That rooty-tooty breakfast is really something!"

Posted by: bostskin | October 9, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Anthony Montgomery has got to go. The guy has underachieved for 3 years and cannot get on the field this year. We cannot hold a roster spot for him. How the heck did he get so badly hurt, he hasn't played a game this year?? Kedric Golston on the other hand works hard and produces. Cut 94, pick up another LB or OL.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Curzon,

I would agree with you on Wynn being the odd man out, but with Montgomery hurt and Cornelius nicked up, I think that's doubtful. Unless Blache is in love with Montgomery, it could be him.

I still think Roc's time is up. We have not seen the same returner with the new "Wedge" rule and think Devin Thomas could perform as well.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 9, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

what's the line for the Panthers game?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 9, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I think Dan Steinberg should be the Redskins Insider. His blog on Merril Hoge's breakdown of the team was informative and objective.

The FO bashing is tired!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 9, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Lattimore was actually featured extensively on "Hard Knocks" a couple of seasons ago. He honestly looked pretty good, but of course that was training camp/exhibition. Those who followed his college career would I guess know much better but he seemed like big guy with some moves. Probably on the same level as Mason.

Posted by: beatkal | October 9, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Clegg, I just don't think that the Skins will be giving up on any of last years 2nd rounders. I also do not see them giving up on Monty, so to me the safe pick (?) would by Wynn who should be safe until Monday when he is re-signed.

AA can't be cut yet, and if they are looking at cutting a rb, then I would think that Rock would be the first to go.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 9, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Honest question about Portis and the reason I have to ask this is because it's something I have observed over the years. Like a kid riding a bicycle seems to be attracted to poles or firehydrants, why is it that when Portis comes around the end on sweeps, he seems to run right into his own blockers? It's almost like he has understeer and he's on rollerskates and can't turn direction and he invariably seems to always run right into the WR blocking, the Tackle blocking, the TE blocking or anyone over there who is blocking. I have never seen a guy that runs into his own players in near open space more than he does. Is it just me or have other people noticed this about Portis? It's almost like his vision is impaired or he has no peripheral vision.

Posted by: JWPinCHI | October 9, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Lattimore, Mason, Alridge, Henry -- have all had their tires kicked and have been left on the lot. The 'Skins aren't going to find an impact player by calling guys in after four weeks in the season. What you see is what we've got.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 9, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

sellars is the one on his last legs, a 35 year old FB that lined up wrong in the playoffs and got in an arguement with Collins on the field

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, we know Portis is on his last legs but Betts looks like he's lost a step too."

We now know why Moe has been big on drafting a back like CJ Spiller.

The skins need a new guy to carry the ball.

Spiller is the guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

"...or AA..."

I went to 'AA'.

They told me to leave after I told them AA was for quitters.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I called Dan Snyder the other day and spoke with him at length...

Here's what he told me:

I wanted Norv to go but I was wrong in the way that I did it.

You think I'm bad, Jerry Jones has done worse things than me.

I was really pissed at Joe Gibbs over Brandon Lloyd.

In hindsight, firing Marty was the beginning of the decline.

I felt betrayed by Lavar Arrington.

I hate Andy Pollin

I respected Gregg Williams, but he could not have been my coach.

I should not have caved to the pressure of the fans and hired Jim Fassell.

I don't understand why people hate me...I want to win badly...

I should given next year's first round pick for Jay Cutler.

My biggest disappointment was Steve Spurrier.

Clinton Portis brings hoochies to my house.

I have Marv Levy waiting in the wings.

Russ Grimm won't take my calls.

Abe Pollin hasn't won sh** in 31 years, why hate me???

If I sell the team, it will move to Los Angeles

I tell Larry Micheal what to say and what not to say.

The more fans hate me, the more I will stay the same.

...After that we talked about Erin Andrews, Brian Mitchell and FedEx field...

It was pretty cool.

Posted by: rickyroge | October 9, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

The FO bashing is tired!

Posted by: rickyroge

Now that's worth an AMEN!

Posted by: dcwun | October 9, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

slickrickroge

"I respected Gregg Williams, but he could not have been my coach."

There are mistakes and then there are major F ups.

Not hiring Grilliams when St Joe bailed out on the franchise to watch people drive left at 180 mph was a major F up.

Zorn's weaknesses as a game manager and tactician and all around BOSS has allowed the idiots on the team to act out in a way a strong personality style coach would not allow.

Do you think Rex Ryan or Mike Tomlin would put up with the crap emanating from Redskins' Park?

Naaaaaaa.....

And there is the irony: the FO feared Grilliams' and his rudeness not getting that the players are the ones who needed it to keep them in line.

Not that Zorn can't keep them in line.

But he might join some of them in an unemployment line.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Flipping back and forth between the Wiz preseason game and "Any Given Sunday"

Any1 know which franchise inspired the Sharks?

Posted by: Vicc | October 9, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,

I think the Panthers 3rd Back would do..

His name is Mike Goodson and chek this vid out..tell me what you think. 1:25 mark is a blazing run!

Let's Package a Golston or Montgomery--they need DT help--and Colt Brennan-cuz Delhomme sux.

Posted by: Vicc | October 9, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

vicc

"Any1 know which franchise inspired the Sharks?"

The j-e-t-s.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

slickrickroge,

Do you read Steinbog?? He has cracked on an bashed snyderatto for 2 straight years....

Also did you hear G. Michaels on Wise radio? He said Grilliams and Snyder could not coexist. Grilliams to much his own man. But not hiring him was mighty stupid.

Moe: WOW!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 9, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Score: Twins up 3-1.

No outs.

Bottom of the 9th.

A Rod up with a man on second.

Home Run.

A Rod hits a home run to time up the game.

Why?

'Cuz he's a star.

Why do the skins have issues?

We ain't got no stars!!

Gimme a star!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

if Portis was the asst GM wouldn't we be drafting O-lineman??

just saying.

that's logic people

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Hoge was spot on..... AMEN to that analysis... I have been singing that for weeks. Many of you think dumping Soups is the answer and I say you better be careful of what you wish for. The kid is a pretty accurate passer. Yes he has started locking on receivers again, but that is b/c he usually can't get to his progressions. Route designs are putred!!!

Thanks Steinberg!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 9, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

"He said Grilliams and Snyder could not coexist. Grilliams to much his own man. But not hiring him was mighty stupid."

What Snyder doesn't understand is that football players need to fear their coach.

The players both feared and respected Grilliams.

Snyder didn't want a guy who'd yell, "Why the F are we taking three pass catchers when all we block is the path to the food line?"

Zorn comes in and the players know he's an empty suit slash owners' do-boy talking smack about 'medium' and completing wack azz drills.

And who fears that?

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

pabrian, that nickname was from Gibbs...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 9, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

clegg

"Hoge was spot on..... AMEN to that analysis..."

Hook me up with a link.

I been hating on JC like he was a reverse Klansman at a Dr. King rally.

If there is evidence that it's all Zorn and not the humble man from Taylorsville, Miss., I'll eat crow.

Go Yanks!!!! (sorry: had to slip that in).

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I repeat.... read the BOG from Steinberg.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 9, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Have you seen our backs missing holes? It's appeared to me that the running game is not the RB's fault.

You think they'd be looking for OL or perhaps trading Betts or a DL for one.

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 9, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis is on the verge of becoming the Redskins all-time leading rusher and gets nothing but flack

that's crappy fan-ism

Just because the owner is a p rick doesn't mean the players are.

So, Portis said Sellars should be benched, and then Sellars said, I did miss that block and everyone is on Sellars side, why?

what is sooo great about sellars?

everyone talking about Portis getting old, he's younger than Sellars, Betts, and Cartwright.

Redskins fans need to chiggity check themselves, they USED to be good.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

pabrian, that nickname was from Gibbs...

Posted by: chrislarry

I know and I love Gibbs, but I repeat if Portis had any say wouldn't he be saying let's get some O-line?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

When you read it, clegg, I like to think it's the bogg.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 9, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 9, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

anyone besides me think the A.Montgomery injury is killing us.

The guy was our 2nd or 3rd best DT, Haynesworth moves him down 1 slot, making him 3rd or 4th

would be nice to have him to spell Griff and Hayney

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

MAKE IT STOP!! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS PURE AND HOLY JUST MAKE IT STOP!!

Posted by: p1funk | October 9, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

clegg

"The great demise for any coach is when he's unwilling to adapt his philosophy to the strengths of his personnel," Hoge said. "I don't care what level you're at, eventually you have to evaluate the strength of your personnel and adjust your philosophy to those strengths."

Priceless.

Just priceless.

So the skins should run an offensive scheme similiar to, say, the stillers, titans, jets, bears?

Fire Zorn.

I take back everything I posted negative about JC.

It looks like Brian Schottenhiemer or Bruce Arians is who we should hire to run things--after the promotion of Jerry Gray.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

NATE,

I usually think Hoge is a dope,... maybe its the multiple concussions, but he is spot on.

I'm one of the idiots that tivo's games and re-watches them over and over till my wife deletes them.. ( part of me hope the result changes ) and the other part of me is to figure out who really sucks. I'm telling you guys, Campbell hasn't been great, but the guy can hit open receivers. He's not going through his progressions b/c he does not typically have time or open receivers. That's why he's the king of check downs.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 9, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

p1funk

"MAKE IT STOP!! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS PURE AND HOLY JUST MAKE IT STOP!!"

That's what she said.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Fans who still think Portis walks-on-water need to check themselves ... perhaps into St. E's for being delusional?

1. Portis is old in football years. The Redskins one-and-only NHL MVP running back was Larry Brown he was also finished before age 30. The number of carries tends to age running backs quickly, so he is older than his years. But you won't listen to that will you?

2. Portis is slightly above average. He won't win an NFL MVP award, he won't win a superbowl ring. He's about as good as Stephen Davis running the ball, and about average as a receiver. His blocking is good but he's not as good a blocker as Larry Brown, Charley Taylor or John Riggins. Again, if we use Redskins running backs over the years as a yard stick he is slightly above average.

3. You don't look at the yards gained. You look at the key plays, the long runs, the critical TD's the playoff victories ... Portis, as a team player and team mate has been much less than average. But his contract is the highest ever for a running back. So, he wins that contest.

Posted by: periculum | October 9, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it -- it's not like the extra RBs are getting PT in the game. Rock's got a TD catch and Mason has what, two rushes? Are they waiting for someone to pull off a 64 yd TD on their first carry from scrimmage?

I think the Skins already have that RB under contract.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 9, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

the way I see it, we ran the ball and kicked FG's aginst the Rams, and the fans and the owner weren't satisfied

so they abandoned the run and kicking game in Detroit, If the fans and owner were happy with t.o.p. and fg's we'd be 3-1

just like everyone had us

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

"I usually think Hoge is a dope,..."

Like to talk scheme:

AFC/NFC Playbook---NFL Network

Sterling Sharpe v. Brian Baldringer v. Joe Theisman

And Hoge is on point.

Sorry.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

peri

"You don't look at the yards gained. You look at the key plays, the long runs, the critical TD's the playoff victories ..."

Further evidence that Moe's desire for CJ Spiller (or any other speed demon running back) is another example of his being ahead of the curve.

Moe that is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

I totally agree about his points. I was just pointing out that i usually think he's a dope.... Love watching Playbook b/c they give the end zone angle...Coaches version of the games.. you can see a lot. Bright side of the OL is that Rinehart and Heyer looked good 2 wks now run blocking..

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 9, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum

He is still younger than Betts, Cartwright, and Sellars. He's had no help from the O-line or the passing game

he rushed for 1478 yrds last year, Betts was hurt last year, Cartwright hardly got any carries, even a back in his prime can't handle that load by himself.

You are a player hater, your blaming the most consistent offensive player in the last 10 years. You don't make any sense.

your just a hater

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Moe that is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009

Its why Allen wanted Mike Thomas, and why Gibbs invented the h-back getting used to having a guy like Joe Washington around.

Useless without blockers and blocking as Mercury Morris most assuredly will tell you ... as well as Mike Thomas.

Posted by: periculum | October 9, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

every defensive coordinater for the last 5 years focus against the Skins has been to stop Portis.

I guess they are all wrong too.

Portis still gets his numbers despite this

fact vs opinion, peri

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

got you jwp, posted in past i think portis needs glasses

Posted by: mohawk44 | October 9, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Again, Larry Brown, LARRY BROWN Does not have a many yards as Portis. What HE DOES have is an NFL MVP award for almost single-handedly carrying his team to a Superbowl. Let me know when Portis acquires one of those. Thank you that is all you have no argument ... just a 10 year old's tantrums because your hero doesn't measure up. Stop that. Grow up. Thank you.

your just a hater

I'll take Larry Brown at half back and John Riggins at Fullback with the Hogs and you can take Portis the tortoise ... hmm wonder who would win in that "fantasy" match up?

Another 5.3" 10 year old like Snyder?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009

Posted by: periculum | October 9, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Portis still gets his numbers despite this

NO I repeat NO SUPERBOWLS, NO real impact in any playoff game, NO NFL MVP award?

Riggins Superbowl MVP, many critical games won because of his heroics whether on the ground, or catching passes for both the Skins and the Jets.

Larry Brown, NFL MVP. Even Mark Moseley, a kicker won one of those for the Redskins? And Portis? Nada, niente, zero, zilch.

Posted by: periculum | October 9, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

f sally jenkins.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 9, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh, no thanks.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 9, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

f sally jenkins.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 9, 2009 6:56 PM |

She has been remained hot bag of nickels. HBON for short.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

*renamed*

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Thats because Big Mike...is just big mike. Not the brightest bulb or sharpest tool.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 9, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Portis still gets his numbers despite this

Posted by: periculum | October 9, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

----

man you contradict yourself every 2 minutes. first you cant stop yapping about the o-line this o-line that our o-line sucks then you say portis sucks cuz he can't do what riggins did. with one of the best lines ever. make up ur mind.

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex!Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex!Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex!Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex!Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex!Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex!Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex!Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex! Tex!

And I believe the Orioles are still upset he didn't want to play for them.

I wonder why?

Go Yanks!!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

"Portis still gets his numbers despite this.."

Yeah, he gets 1,500 yards on 1,600 carries.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he gets 1,500 yards on 1,600 carries.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 10:34 PM

He had 1,600 carries last year? Holy sh!t!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

every Defensive coordinater in the NFL for the last 5 years has been fooled into thinking Portis is good when he isn't good?

riggins lifetime avg 3.9
portis 4.5

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

portis is definitely on the down swing of his career. he's not quite completely incompetent yet though. if he keep effing up the locker room then thats all on him

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse
---

that was...what, 7 years ago or something? come on man i dont think he's that bad but you can't be serious about him being as good as he was then.

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

they even dropped his speed to 88 in madden lol

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Portis is past his prime, but it doesn't mean Redskins fans should throw him under the bus

He's younger than Betts, Cartwright, and Sellars for the 100th time.

he never takes plays off, the guy is walkin the walk

riggins had the Hogs,and great receivers

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Samuels is past his prime should we criticize him

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Samuels is past his prime should we criticize him

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

if he starts missing block and whining yea

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

"Portis has been among the league's most productive players at his high-profile position in seven-plus seasons. He has rushed for 9,483 yards with a 4.5-yard average and 72 touchdowns and is second to none among backs at pass protection."

"no back who has played in each of the last five seasons has averaged more than Portis's 21 carries a game."

he is a workhorse and the foundation of the offense, you fair weather player hater cry babies

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

pabrian2003

"Samuels is past his prime should we criticize him..."

When he's wrong, yes.

But I'd vouchsafe that Chris Samuels should be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

I can't think of another offensive linemen who has been there for his team in the way Samuels has been for the skins.

Trivia Time: name an offensive lineman IN the NFL with 11-13 years under his belt who still produces in the way Chris Samuels does.

Samuels is a star.

The redskins offensive lacks stars.

Gimme a star!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

pabrian2003

"Samuels is past his prime should we criticize him..."

When he's wrong, yes.

But I'd vouchsafe that Chris Samuels should be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Samuels is a star.

The redskins offensive lacks stars.

Gimme a star!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

if he starts missing block and whining yea

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 10:48 PM |

He's missing blocks but I can't ever see Samuels whining. He may be the most professional player on the team. It's unfortunate that such a great guy and player is on the downswing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"it seems clear major changes are coming at running back for this team next season."

oh, yeah. right along with the upgrades to the O-line, i'm told.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | October 9, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Samuels is past his prime should we criticize him

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

if he starts missing block and whining yea

Posted by: nami322

whose man caused the fumble in the TB game...Samuels everyone start to cry about it starting ....NOW

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Moe Samuels is past his prime, just like Portis, so everyone should cry like babies just like they do about Portis

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Pabrian,

The fumble was caused by Rabach getting blown up and Rinehart not peeling.... Samuels is still playing decent football... However, it is time to draft a top tier tackle..

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 9, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, when a guy leaves his heart and soul on the field week in and week out he should be respected by the fans

not thrown under the bus

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Portis still gets his numbers despite this

Posted by: periculum | October 9, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse
Sorry, I'm not buying into that argument, periculum. It takes a whole team, plus strong coaching, plus luck, plus low injuries to key players, to win a Super Bowl. You don't judge a player by how many MVP's he has won.

CP has been a stud player for 7 years. He is still a stud, but age and physical pounding is catching up to him. We need to bring in another stud, but CP can still be useful to us for several more years. His salary cap may prove to be too high for us if he gets injured.

He is a different runner than he was at age 22. Then he was smaller and faster. Now he has bulked up to take more pounding, but he no longer has that break-away speed. But he is still a winner, and the best back on the roster by far.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 9, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

"...well in his first 2 years Portis had the same yards on less carries than Adrian Peterson - you geniuses..."

I'm a genius now?

Okay, then I'll say a smart thing: I'll take a young humble guy in his way up over a slowing guy on his way down every day.

Why?

'Cuz I'm a genius, that's why.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 9, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse
---
i wasnt saying that he was. i was just answering the question. dont want anybody to think im bashing samuels. he's the best o-lineman on the team.

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Pabrian,

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg

that forced Campbell to step up into the guy that Samuels should have still been blocking

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to defend Portis not criticise Samuels

The mentality that Portis is the problem sounds like Snyder's first 5 years when we would release our best player every season.

So, every D coordinater that keys on Portis is wrong???

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 11:01 PM |

I understood that... not accusing you of Samuels bashing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

This Portis / Sellers dust up is just another in the long string of reasons why Zorn needs to go.

WTF does Portis have to bring it up on the sideine during the game that meat head mike is failing to make basic plays and get his assignments done? Dropping TD catches is one thing, but lets face it, BMS gets paid to do one thing: Block for Portis. Everybody up here knows he is failing to get that done when it most matters on a consistent basis.

Smith and Zorn should not need Portis to tell them to make an obvious change.

Now, dissension builds in the ranks because the coaches are too stupid or too gutless to do what coaches are supposed to do for the good of the team.

Say what you will about Portis missing practice and losing a step, but the guy brings it on Sunday and leaves it all on the field.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 9, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm a genius now?

Why?

'Cuz I'm a genius, that's why.

Posted by: MistaMoe

so 1478 yards and a pro-bowl selection is slowing down?

you are a genius

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to defend Portis not criticise Samuels

So, every D coordinater that keys on Portis is wrong???

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse
---
i never said he was the problem. portis can still get the job done with the right conditions. he's not gonna break long runs anymore. he's currently not breaking tackles. you can't hold on to players because of what they did for you. every good team in the league lets declining players go. i live in CT so i get the patriots shoved down my throat. they cut 3 defensive players that you could say the exact same thing about as portis right now. they are 3-1.

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Pabrian,

Wrong again.... Soups should have been moving fwd in the pocket before that unfortunately... he was hanging back instead of stepping up... the biggest problem on that play was the 4 receivers in route were covered... ( see Hoge's insight on Steinberg's Blog )

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 9, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Sellars is 35, 35 and a FB

talk about on a down swing.

it ain't rock, it ain't roll if we don't disagree. the tension is what makes it so good - cody chestnutt

remember last season when Portis called out the O-line? The next week he was leading the league in rushing.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I understood that... not accusing you of Samuels bashing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

k just making sure

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

clegg, it doesn't matter what anyone else on the field is doing Samuels has to stay with guy

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I have to laugh at the double standard here.

If Brett Favre or Payton Manning went to the coaches and said a WR was running the wrong routes or a G wasn't executing his assignments and said to get him out of the game he would be praised as a tremendously competitive leader.

Clinton Portis does it and he's a cancer, bad guy, etc etc.

Posted by: 6-2StackMonster | October 9, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Tackles are supposed to block inside out as the QB steps up in the pocket... Campbell had to move to the left, which at that point supposed to step up in the pocket or tuck and run, but he stayed back "sitting"..... i agree multiple breakdowns, but Samuels was not the cause.

Good night RI... HTTR!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 9, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I've been saying, listen up. To all you people that think this horrible offense is the fault of 1 or 2 people you are sadly phukin mistaken. EVERYONE is at fault for this. The lame a$$ coaches, the old oline, the slow read QB, the young, dumb receivers, the hole missin' RB's, the non blocking TE's. Everyone on this O is playing sub par football at times and no one should escape blame. This is not the responsibility of 1 or 2 people but at least 15.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

i'm not trying to bash ANY players, I'm defending Portis who's numbers and film speak for themselves

arguement over

for 3 or 4 seconds and then continue

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 9, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 9, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse
that is 100% correct.

Posted by: nami322 | October 9, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

"...it seems clear major changes are coming at running back for this team next season." J. Reid

oh yeah, right after the upgrades on the O-line, i'm told.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | October 9, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

it's a good thing that they figured out that punting problem this past off season.

Suisham almost lost his job, and is yet to miss an FG, and had 2 pretty decent punts.

there are a lot of issues kicker punter should be the last thing they were worried about.

what a stupid waste of time and resources, gimme frost nad suisham and move the freak on, dummies

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 10, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I hope the skins don't release a young player to make room for the new punter. They need to release someone like Wynn who will be available to bring back when Hunter is ready. If they release someone like Aldridge, he will be picked up by another team. Don't make a bonehead decision (another bonehead decision that is

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 10, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 10, 2009 12:31 AM

Really? Then why was he available after week 2 or whenever they resigned him? They've got bigger fish to fry than worrying about that. They need to worry about beating the Panthers and forget about all this other shti. Winning the best deodorant. Uh...damn out of cliches.

Posted by: skinswest | October 10, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

what's the line for the Panthers game?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan

Skins +3 or 3.5

Playing on the road, facing a team coming off a bye, with all the turmoil the Skins have gone through the past three weeks.....

Lotta action headin the Panthers way, even if they are winless.

Bet against the smart money.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 10, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

Samuels is past his prime should we criticize him

Posted by: pabrian2003 |

No, because quality tackles can play well into their thirties, unlike running backs,

Posted by: TheCork | October 10, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

The only conclusion I can draw is that Snyder is really a Cowboy or Giant fan and is destroying the Redskins on purpose. No one could knowingly do this to his beloved team...

Posted by: joelyana | October 10, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

In fact, every single ESPN talking head except for Ditka took the Panthers in this game.

And Hoge is an excellent analyst, seems like he actually breaks down film and watches the games then offers insightful info, compared to someone like Tom Jackson who leaks cliches.

Hate to say it and may regret it, but Chris Carter is up there too.

Posted by: saltine182 | October 10, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Samuels is past his prime should we criticize him

Posted by: pabrian2003 |

Posted by: TheCork | October 10, 2009 1:32 AM

If he can still do his job, what difference does it make if he's "past his prime"?

Think about it this way. A quality RI blogger can post well into his 60's. He's at his prime when he's around Nate or 4th Floor's age, but even an old goat like Cork -- in his 80's -- can still write a decent post. This isn't one of them, but he did have one earlier this week. Tuesday, I think.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 10, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

I think, and therefore I say the smart money is on the Panthers this weekend. Our beloved Skins are in a tailspin that will be mighty hard to pull out of.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 10, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Interesting stuff.....

I don't know.

Has anyone thought of this?

Is an intervention possible?

Get back to me on that.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 10, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

TE,

"But I thought her column today nails Snyder's management style and its likely results." I thoroughly agree. Unless he changes his leadership style, I am afraid that the chances for the skins to have long term success are slim. They might succeed every once in awhile in spite of his leadership style.

The leader of any organization sets the tone for the whole organization. In a very large organization, that tone can be muted if there are good leaders at lower levels of leadership. I think that an NFL team is too small for that to happen.

It is a sad state of affairs.

Posted by: Markin21132 | October 10, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I know the line on Sally is that she's an out of towner malcontent, but I have to say, I completely agree with her most times. She's pretty funny, too.

Posted by: bostskin | October 10, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Dammit. Since the Skins are only "one player away," I really had my hopes set on this Baby Ray-Ray guy. Then Hunter the Punter had to go and get hurt, and now the team can't sign a 6th RB. Sigh.

It's all Sally Jenkins' fault.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 10, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

It's all Sally Jenkins' fault.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 10, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Sally Jenkins article quoting a very smart man spells this franchise out better than any other statement that I have read...
"Toxic managers divert people's energy from the real work of the organization, destroy morale, impair retention, and interfere with cooperation and information sharing. Their behavior, like a rock thrown into a pond, can cause ripples distorting the organization's culture."

Does it not? I'm soooo sick of Daniel Freakin Snyder..... Is he so insulated from the world that he can't see this?

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 10, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

for the last couple years portis has not started off well in the beginning. he has trouble seeing open holes. he seems to just follow his blocker and not look left or right as a good running back should be capable of doing. he does not cut back for the openings.maybe he needs to play more in preseason just to get his eyes looking for spots. after playing a few games he starts looking for and finding holes better.

Posted by: rls1041 | October 10, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

What is the indictment of this franchise when all that is being written is about management and not the game itself? I feel like it is the off season already, with no games to discuss... I am a very sad sad sad Redskins fan right now. The players must play and rally around the guys in the locker room, including the coaching staff!!!!!! Win one for the Zshades!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 10, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Pretty crazy how all off season they did not look at a running back, but now they are in desperate need.

Pretty crazy how all off season they could have let Zorn go and now our trying to replace him after 4 games.

Pretty crazy how Vinny still has a job.

Pretty crazy that us fans are too loyal for our own good.

When will Snyder realize he sucks at ownership and hire someone and give them total control and let them run the team. Unfortunately, probably never.

Posted by: Redskins001 | October 10, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't if this has been posted, but here is one take on what Sherm Lewis brings to the redskins. have at it.

Posted by: TWISI | October 10, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

==============
Aldridge was on the Texan's practice squad after he was released by the skins. Yes they should be worrying about this because Aldridge is the only back that they have that has the ability to change to pace of the running game but he is not being given an opportunity.

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 10, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"The owner (Dan Snyder) and the GM (Vinny Cerrato) have asked me to be honest in my assessment and to contribute. I have no problem doing that." Sherm Lewis

Oh yeah, he's gonna tell Vinny his draft plan sucks and he's gonna tell Danny to quit goin' after the big name FA and get to work building a young hungry team. Sure he is....

Posted by: RedskinWillie | October 10, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Have they worked out Larry Brown yet?

Posted by: jmy999 | October 10, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse