Going Outside for Lineman Unlikely

From calling around and speaking with agents the last couple of days, I just don't see anyone out there the Redskins would bring in to try to replace Randy Thomas.

I've been told repeatedly that the team is not interested in guard Pete Kendall, who started on the left side in the 2007 and 2008 season. The Redskins really seem to believe second-year guard Chad Rinehart is ready to take his place in the starting lineup.

If I were in Coach Jim Zorn's shoes - or those of quarterback Jason Campbell - I might feel more comfortable about the situation if Rinehart had ever actually played in a regular-season game. Rinehart, however, was inactive the first two weeks, so too late for that now.

Another area of concern is right tackle. Stephon Heyer simply hasn't played well, sources said. If Heyer struggles again this week against the Detroit Lions, I wouldn't be surprised if tackle Mike Williams started at some point soon.

I know, I know. Williams hasn't played in a regular-season game since 2005. But he made the opening 53-man roster, was active in the first two games and Heyer has left the door ajar for him. In camp, a source in the organization told me that Williams could be the starting right tackle by Week 3. We'll see.

By Jason Reid  |  September 22, 2009; 5:57 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rinehart's Ready for His Big Break (Updated)
Next: The Tuesday Morning Reading Room

Comments

I think they should promote Rhinehart and then sign Jaimie Thomas off the Indy practice squad.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 22, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Pete Kendall was unable to practice last season and that lack of practice got the entire OLine out of rhythm and the line fell apart last year. They don't want that again this year. The one name that I'm not hearing any mention of is Jason Fabini. I think they should sign him to back up Rinehart. Forget Kendall

Posted by: midniterc | September 22, 2009 6:41 AM | Report abuse

p.s. I think JC is finally going to connect deep with M. Kelly this week.

Posted by: Salinas1 | September 22, 2009 6:41 AM | Report abuse

A couple of thoughts:

-Jim Zorn has sealed his fate by feuding with Sonny Jurgenson. Botching the team colors in your introductory presser is one thing, mixing it up with one of the most beloved Redskin old-timers is another. Hope his resume is updated, because he'll spreading it around sooner than he thinks.

-Regardless of whether the Haynesworth signing pans out, it helped tank the Redskins 2009 season. Hear me out: if the team signs Jason Brown to play center and gets a couple of those available DTs in free agency (like the guys the Giants got), they help that D-line AND create an opportunity to strengthen the O-line for the same money you paid Haynesworth. You can't tell me this team wouldn't be in pretty good shape right now with Rabach filling in at RG and Brown playing center instead of the mess they've got playing the right side of the line now. That is going to be a glaring weakness this year, and even though hindsight is 20/20, it's borderline retarded to go into a season without a quality backup to Randy Thomas when he's suffered at least 2 season-ending injuries as a Redskin. Now this team is one Chris Samuels injury from being completely falling apart offensively.

What's the over/under on Zorn's ouster? Bye week?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 22, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Here we go with the unnamed source stuff. Would it be that difficult to explain the Heyer evaluation based on some actual in-game plays? Did he allow sacks, hurries or suck at run blocking? All of the above? Heyer's pass blocking can't be any worse than BMW's preseason showing. BMW v DeMarcus Ware? Oh the humanity.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 22, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Zorn's not going anywhere until the year ends. But, I also don't see him coming back next year. As for this season. We're still in good shape with the games ahead. If we can build confidence against the bad teams ahead and get in to the bye week looking strong, things can get interesting for us. We should be playoff contenders. I also hoped for a blowout on Sunday, but at the end of the day, a win is a win. If we correct the mistakes and hold on to sure touchdowns like we should (and will), against the Lions, we can start to build some serious confidence. The key now is to play up against every team and not play to the level of the current opponent. That has been a huge problem for us for years. Also, i'm pretty sure we're FINALLY going to see the fade route in the end zone to Kelly or Mitchell... I hope!

Posted by: johntaylor2 | September 22, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Also, as for Rinehart. It just seems so weird to me that the dude was inactive for the first 2 games of the year and he is now projected to start at RG. The excuse of other guys being needed to fill in sounds good on paper, but I feel that there is something really wrong with that picture!! Hope its nothing, and he is going to be a beast. Just like I mentioned before, confidence can be a great factor and if he can hold up against Detroit, things can turn out nicely. They keep saying that he lost confidence last year. Let's see how 2009 turns out for the kid.

Posted by: johntaylor2 | September 22, 2009 7:08 AM | Report abuse

We should be playoff contenders.

Posted by: johntaylor2 | September 22, 2009 7:04 AM

Playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we win another game!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 22, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

The forecasting of doom of the O-line is overblown. This O-line will be just fine now that one of the penciled in non-deserving starters is gone for the season.

Rinehart, BNW's, and Heyer will be just fine. There is nothing wrong with have young hungry meat on the O-line.

Part of our problem with the O-line is that we kept plugging in old out-of-shape has beens like Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen.

The young fellas given a fair chance will do just fine. I know BMW's has been in the league, but he ain't old and beat up.

As for Samuels, he still produces when healthy, so he is carrying his water.

To insist that the Redskins can't or won't run left is purely an example of Zorn's ineptitude of innovative play calling.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 22, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Correction... run right ... and BMW's.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 22, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna stir the pot here and then run away hoping to start a fire...

Brownmood26, u must be married with kids dawg..nothing wrong with that.

Something wrong with a trend I see though..all the debbie downers here at RI are openly liberals? And though I don't vote and support Anarchy, I've noticed throughout my life that although conservatives have their issues, it's always the liberals that preach doom, like you!!!!!!

can you explain that? ha ha

ah wat does it matter? WaPo has gotten good at beginning a new thread once somebody brings up these sort of topics.

Posted by: Vicc | September 22, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

When has Heyer allowed a sack? Osi's strip was when he was against samuels and that was JC's fault, he had plenty of time this week. they should see what they have with rinehart, hes gotta play sometime.

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 22, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

I'll save y'all the time:

beep beep

Posted by: Vicc | September 22, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Starting BMW at this point will be a big mistake. Heyer to me hasn't played as bad as you are trying to make it out to be Mayor

Posted by: jm220 | September 22, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

prob his run blocking thats why old man jansen got his job back last year when heyer was hurt

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 22, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna stir the pot here and then run away hoping to start a fire...

Brownmood26, u must be married with kids dawg..nothing wrong with that.

can you explain that? ha ha

Posted by: Vicc | September 22, 2009 7:29 AM

Dude, don't try to make parallels between sports and politics...you'll give yourself a headache.

And I'm not sure how my marital status affects my views of a football team that has been decidedly mediocre for over a decade...I don't think it's "doom and gloom" because I don't expect good when bad is all I see.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 22, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: johntaylor2 | September 22, 2009 7:08 AM

Johntaylor2, what you have hit upon is the fact that the Redskins for years now pencil in starters. Whether these starters come from somewhere else or they have been here awhile.

The Redskins are not basing there depth chart on practice and in-game success. If we did our running game would not suck the way it does.

We would not have a bunch of D-backs that talk and look good on paper, but cannot man up and tackle, and stop the personal fouls.

Rinehart comes off the practice squad to start probably because he never should have been there in the first place.

New Rule! Lets play the guys who earn it in practice. Rinehart is one of them guys.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 22, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

How 'bout that QB play last night? Pretty nice on both sides. To be fair those were some wide open receivers, though.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 22, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Sorry REID couldn't vote because the choice I would make wasn't on the list - prayer.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 22, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Another issue I have with the current staff is they try to change players positions.

The main reason Rino loss confidence last year was because he was playing out of position. He was a guard in college and should have been put at guard for the Skins. They thought they could make him a T, if you want a T draft one don't draft a G and then try and move him to T.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow Larry, that is a really optimistic view of Chad Rinehart.

Given he is a 3rd round pick yet is never active for games and supposedly "lost his confidence" last season while being openly labled a failure by Buges...many would argue it's not possible he's in a reality a beast who just hasnt been given a chance. And that the truth is he sucks.

Here's to hoping you are correct!

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

"Why the f did they cut Jeremy Bridges? I'm sure he sucked, but we need all the help we can get."

This is hilarious and true.

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

And practice is overrated for running backs, ask Riggo.

Portis has been one the most productive backs in the NFL during his time here...probably 2nd behind only Tomlinson. So I am cool with whatever his practice habits are

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

"Our #1 receiver and our #1 running back hasn't really practiced in three years. You ever wonder why Moss and Campbell can't connect. Moss dosen't practice a lot.

Rinehart comes off the practice squad to start probably because he never should have been there in the first place"

Your butchering of the English language, and spelling aside, you couldn't be more wrong. Portis and Santana haven't practiced in 3 years?? Wow. Do you really believe that?? Also, Rinehart was a 3rd round draft pick last year, and was never on the practice squad, so there you go.......you're an idiot....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 22, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Rinehart was inactive the first two games because Montgomery is a swing backup(both guard and center) and Rinehart isn't a tackle. The Skins only want to dress seven O-linemen so Rinehart sits. Now that Thomas is out, Rinehart starts and Montgomery will continue to be the swing backup, very simple and it makes perfect sense. I have looked pretty hard at Heyer's play, and he's done fairly well in my opinion(I know, who the heck am I?). I don't see him being benched anytime soon, no matter what the "sources" say. Zorn simply needs to start trusting his players, PERIOD. Campbell needs to be allowed to audible out of bad plays in the red zone. This would have probably resulted in more points this past week, and likely would made the game the blow out everyone was looking for.

Posted by: craig2 | September 22, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

flounder: your statement about Rinehart being a guard in college isn't correct, he was a left tackle. The Skins NEVER thought he would play that position in the NFL, but did hope he would pan out at RIGHT tackle. Saying when he was drafted, that they expected him to be able to play right tackle and/or guard. Which, BTW, is the exact same thing that all of the draft pundits thought and published. Most saying after the draft that it was a very good pick. I think some are reading too much into him being inactive these first two games. And, he was not on the practice squad, he simply wasn't active on game day.

Posted by: craig2 | September 22, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 22, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

proving once again that the FO is FU.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 22, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

C'mon,Flounder, you gotta get the basic facts straight, or we'll kick you out of Faber.
Rinehart was an LT at Northern Iowa. The big question was whether he could adjust to NFL speed from second-level college speed. The answer was 'no' last year. We'll see what answer is against the Kittycats.

Posted by: daggar | September 22, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I never had as much a problem with the 08 draft that everyone else had. They still needed to draft more for the offensive line though, especially this past year.

Posted by: craig2 | September 22, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Whoops, sorry Flounder, didn't mean to pile on, took some time to find Rhino's profile.

Posted by: daggar | September 22, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

craig,

You are correct he played T in college but he was projected as a G in the NFL, I know why he was inactive the first two games and I think he will do a good job at G.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Just goes to show you that you shouldn't tweet when you're angry.
-Cindy Boren

How twue!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 22, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Robert Henson crucified on Mike & Mike this morning. Greeny got standing ovation after blasting him and telling him to just shut up. Greeny also probably gets free McDonalds for life, not that he would eat there, just sayin...

Cut Henson, sign Kendall, or someone else if Rhino has a bad game, as backup but I doubt that's going to happen

Posted by: will_ga | September 22, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

no problem dag. unlike most on here I can admit when I'm wrong and take the abuse.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

What's the over/under on Zorn's ouster? Bye week?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 22, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Browny, I don't think you can sign Jason Brown and Chris Canty with the 2009 cap $ that was used on AHaynesworth. Yes, in total contracts you could, but not within the cap for 2009. I don't have the figures, but I think AH's cap hit is $7MM for 2009. I don't know what CC and JB are.

I do agree that an injury to Samuels would be disastrous. I think we can make it with Rinehart.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 22, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

don't know if anyone caught this last night but on the NFL Network, Sapp, MFaulk, and the rest of the guys all picked the Redskins as the team that the lions would beat for their first victory. Stating that the lions had the best chance against the Redskins because the Redskins can't score....Zorn has GOT TO open this thing WFO, and just throw it all over the place this coming Sunday. Not trick plays, no double probation, just get the ball to guys who can do something with it.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 22, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I think that Jackass Henson took down all his Twitter, public spaces, etc. He is clearly an arrogant, ignorant man. How clueless do you have to be to make the comments he made? I think the Skins should cut him immediately. The irony is he may end up making a lot less money than most of the fans he insulted...

Posted by: Club320 | September 22, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | September 22, 2009 8:29 AM |

fred,

Lets take it one step farther a injury to any bodys starting LT is disastrous, I don't care who the backup is.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

...and take the abuse...
All that practice in college must've helped.

Posted by: daggar | September 22, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

yes, cut Henson for having an opinion, just like the people who post here....yup, make perfect logical sense...WOW...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 22, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

And also watch out for Calvin Johnson.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 22, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Beantown, you dont cut him for having an opinion. You cut him for insulting the people that pay his salary, and he's not Cooley or Haynesworth. He is a guy who has not played. So cutting him is the organization saying ""We dont stand with Henson" He has a much bigger responsibility than you are I with his opinions. ...WOW... (for effect I guess)

Posted by: Club320 | September 22, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

He's 21 or 22 right? And has probably been the big man on campus since middle school. These boys are not worth paying attention to whenever they flap their gums, electronic or otherwise.

Posted by: daggar | September 22, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Greeny is a punk who if he saw Henson on the street would probably piss himself. He also did the worst annoucing job of any football game I've ever heard.

F-Greeny

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

club, he had an opinion, and he posted it, and because you don't agree with this, you want him cut from the team, is that pretty accurate??

Tell me where I've gone astray.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 22, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

I think that they have like $5M under the cap for this year, IIRC. You could see them sign someone next Monday if they are concerned.
But who? Not Kendall, I think.

Posted by: daggar | September 22, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Indy-Miami was one strange game. When's the last time one team held the ball for 45 minutes and still lost? But it's a good illustration of the flaw in overemphasizing time of possession.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 22, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

You have gone completely astray. He has insulted every person that follows the team. It was not about the booing. It was the arrogance of him talking about his money, and insulting people who make less. He can have an opinion, but every player who commented about this said it was inappropriate UNPROFESSIONAL, and not something you should do EVEN if you actually played a game. See Beantown, the league has a code of conduct that people are supposed to follow. Not saying there arent many examples of players not following it. But many do. Being a professional means that opinions like this are not tolerated. I'm pretty sure thats why he no longer has an account...

Posted by: Club320 | September 22, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

What did Henson do/say?

Posted by: kost52 | September 22, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

On the o-line: the one variable that seems to make a difference in production is time spent playing together. That includes practice. If you've got someone internally who can handle the job, it's probably best to promote from within. The question is, can Montgomery or Rinehart do the job? We'll see.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 22, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse
I agree, Flounder, any LT injury is hard to replace. But expecially the Skins, because Samuels has been so dominant for so long.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 22, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

"He has insulted every person that follows the team"

Nope. I wasn't insulted. And he shouldn't be cut. Would you feel the same way if this was Portis, or Santana, or is it that because he's a 5th round pick that you think this??

Time to move on, stop pouting about having your feelings hurt......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 22, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 22, 2009 8:07 AM

BeantownGreg1, Its that southern twang you see in my writing, but on the other hand I know my english pretty damn well.

And forget about the name calling, I don't prefer it. Lets be gentlemenly about the issues, but as the old saying goes, he who hollers first might jus' be hurt.

Oh. By the way, Portis doesn't do preseason and Moss dosen't go long in pratice because he might tweak his hammy. You never heard of that before.

You see BeantownGreg1, I am a Gentlemen, and if you by chance blog something that is good, I jus' mit' say' so.

In the meantime, keep your feelings in check.

Go Redskins!!!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 22, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Henson has been inactive and contributed nothing on Gameday. IF we need to cut someone to make room for Randy T's replacement I just think Henson is an option to be looked at. His right to an opinion isn't the issue. His judgement & decision making skills are. Is he young, yes. Can he overcome & learn from this, absolutely. Would seeing him become unemployed restore balance to the universe, just a little.

Posted by: will_ga | September 22, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Club320 | September 22, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

No, we don't cut Henson. He is a rookie, made a mistake, has apologized. Let it go, move on. Hopefully he will learn from his mistake.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 22, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Well, we're still better than the Cowpies in attendance!

Six figures won't be a common occurrence at Cowboys Stadium
Posted by Mike Florio on September 22, 2009 7:54 AM ET
The North Texas Football Cathedral has significantly fewer than 100,000 seats. But with the concept of the "Party Pass," the walkways and platforms allowed Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to cram another 30,000 souls into the place.

The result? A regular-season record crowd of more than 105,000.

The problem? The powers-that-be have realized that 30,000 is about 20,000 too many.

And so, per the Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys have agreed to reduce the number of Party Passes to 10,000.

Which means that there won't be fans in the six figures at future games.

Which means that the arch-rival Redskins will continue to draw more fans on a consistent basis to FedEx Field, which holds more than 90,000.

But there reportedly might be some exceptions, according to the report.

We're not sure when those exceptions might arise, given the problems that officials experienced controlling the flow of bodies to platforms in the end zones of the facility. At one point on Sunday night, the Cowboys and public safety officials decided to throw their hands in the air -- apparently because fans were close to throwing fists.

"We believe that it was a better decision to go ahead and let people in versus confronting them in a situation out [on] the plaza based on the how the crowd dynamic was evolving," Assistant Fire Chief Don Crowson said, per the Morning News.

In other words, they completely lost control of the situation.

And so the Party Pass concept fared even worse on Sunday night than the football team that the new facility has managed to overshadow.

But at least the video board is still only ninety feet from the floor.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 22, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't insulted either because I don't work at McDonalds, but if I did I would have sent a letter to Snyder demanding they cut him. LOL

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

"Moss dosen't go long in pratice"

Wait, didn't you say that Moss hasn't practiced in 3 years, but then you say Moss doesn't go long in practice?? Well which is it....I'm gonna step aside, and allow you to argue with yourself. When you've got it figured out, let me know.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 22, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

My feelings werent hurt. He called the fans dimwits. So whether you were insulted or not, the attempt was there. Listen, I was half hearted about him being cut to connect it to him finding a job where he may make less money- Irony. No pouting Bean. BTW, more IRONY is you giving another poster SH*T who has an opinion, BY defending Henson, who should be allowed to have an opinion?? I guess being called a dimwit shouldnt hurt your feelings...

Posted by: Club320 | September 22, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

We're done. We have the worst O-line in the league. That's not going to cut it when we start playing NFC east foes.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 22, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 22, 2009 8:53 AM |

Really please show me the stats that back this up, and don't say because we haven't scored many TD's thats not on the O-Line.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 22, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

RThomas will go on IR, and that will create space for another OL. Henson does not need to be cut for that. We will probably sign another OL either from our practice squad, or from someone else's PS.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 22, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 22, 2009 8:53 AM |

We already played the best NFC East foe and it wasn't the lines fault we lost.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

We've allowed 2 sacks all Season. One was 100% Campbell's Fault. Everyone should just calm down.

Posted by: ryan_conaway | September 22, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

club, see, I didn't defend him, what I said was that it didn't make sense to cut him...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 22, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga | September 22, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

If Randy is being placed on IR, then we don't need to cut anyone do we??

Posted by: kost52 | September 22, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Manning was under constant pressure last night, but he stepped up and his receivers stepped up and made plays.

Nobody's O-Line is going to protect forever the QB and WR's need to make plays.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Rinehart is a one trick pony, like Thomas at OG. In order to be a backup, you need to have versatility. You need to be able to play more than one position. The coaching staff tried to give Rinehart versatility by giving him reps at OT. It didn't work out, so he is OG only. The reason he has not been active has nothing to do with his ability. It has everything to do with his lack of versatility, If it had been Rabach instead of Thomas, then Montgomery would have been able to fill in there - not Rinehart. The team wants to be able to keep all positions covered and versatility is the way they do it. On the other side of the ball, Anthony Montgomery is also a one trick at DT. Lorenzo Alexander can play DT, DE an ST. He will always get the nod over Montgomery because of his versatility. If the starting one trick pony, Griffin becomes injured, then Montgomery will be active. With only 45 players active on game day, they use versatility to cover all bases.

Posted by: midniterc | September 22, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"We already played the best NFC East foe and it wasn't the lines fault we lost."

I would agree, but the run blocking in the red-zone has been pretty pathetic. I would attribute some of that to Zorn's predictable play-calling though.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 22, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

We went to the gun, pressures declined. Still can't run w/o diversion. How 'bout that wildcat? Not suggesting we should run it, but the concept of disguising your actual attack is... well... necessary on this squad.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 22, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

You are correct Kost. They can move someone up from the practice squad, or poach somebody else's for a future hall-of-famer, but they don't have to cut anyone.
They do have to count RT's salary against the cap, as well as whoever they sign to take his roster spot.

Posted by: daggar | September 22, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"The reason he has not been active has nothing to do with his ability"

Rinehart was shockingly bad last year. So much so people openly questioned if he could play in the NFL at all, and Buges basically called him a failure.

Still hasnt played a single snap in a reg season game.

Bottomline is we dont know what we are getting with him in there, let's hope for the best.

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I just think we should take a few more shots at the end zone when we're between the 10-30 yard line.

Posted by: kost52 | September 22, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Are Jason Fabini and Jeremy Bridges still out there? What about that Tackle from the Bengals? They bring Ronaldo Wynn back but they can't bring those two guys who we actually need?

Snyderrato sucks!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | September 22, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 22, 2009 9:08 AM |

Could the running attack also be on predictability and the fact that Portis has no speed left. I also saw him run right into the back of his blocker on more than one ocassion.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

No, Flounder, it couldn't. That's the gig.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 22, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

If Randy is being placed on IR, then we don't need to cut anyone do we??

Posted by: kost52 | September 22, 2009 8:58 A

True, wasn't thinking clearly. Brain was blindsided by sudden desire for egg Mcmuffin with a side of scrapple.

Posted by: will_ga | September 22, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Fabini is retired, I think -- there was a quick post from the mayor early in the summer that alluded to some sort of significant medical issue.
Bridges is a Cardinal now.

Posted by: daggar | September 22, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I really don't get it. JLC, fans, and now Mayor blast the team about old lineman and not giving the young guys a chance. Yet people all calling for the FO to bring in old lineman. wow

Posted by: jm220 | September 22, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Stick w/ who we got. We're stuck w/ that coarch... might as well tough it out w/ his decisions.

I'm now faily convinced that it was Zorn on the QB trade attempts and ignoring the O Line.

Sure, Snyderrato was complicit, but I think Zoron had the initial call.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 22, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm now fairly convinced that it was Zorn on the QB trade attempts and ignoring the O Line.
Sure, Snyderrato was complicit, but I think Zoron had the initial call.
Posted by: DikShuttle | September 22, 2009 9:24

Zorn clearly doesn't seem to show a lot of faith in his ability to pass in the red zone. Don't really know any other way to explain the play calling down there.

Posted by: will_ga | September 22, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | September 22, 2009 9:23 AM |
==============================
Not me. I'm just blasting them for not drafting any young offensive linemen.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 22, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Teams are going to blitz the hell outta the right side until Heyer and Rinehart prove they can hold their own.

If we're looking at Williams and Montgomery instead couple weeks from now, then you know we're dunzo

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Flounder - our O-line is already bad. Now we have one guy, maybe two, who will be starting that haven't played in the NFL before (or in 4 years).

The Giants game wasn't close. We were lucky to survive the Rams.

Trust me, this line will not get us to the playoffs against the 2nd half schedule we have. It will pretty much be a mirror of last year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 22, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"Not me. I'm just blasting them for not drafting any young offensive linemen."

Betcha Vinny would trade Devon Thomas, Fred Davis, Tryon, and Colt for a real olineman right now if he could.

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 9:32 AM |

divi,

If this happens then the QB and WR's need to make them pay, there should be some easy throws if everyone is blitzing.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

The Giants game wasn't close. We were lucky to survive the Rams.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 22, 2009 9:33 AM |

You still haven't shown me anything that supports your view, just because you say the line is bad I'm supposed to say OK.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"fact that Portis has no speed left. I also saw him run right into the back of his blocker on more than one ocassion.
Posted by: Flounder21"

I don't know if I'd call that a 'fact' -- got any verifiable evidence? Otherwise it's just an opinion. Portis doesn't gain a lot of yards downfield, that's true, but that could be partly due to his running style. He's a Denver-type 'one cut' runner taught to make that first cut, then plow straight ahead. It's actually a very effective yards-gobbling method.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 22, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Henson isn't getting cut. Saw Zorny interview on CSN...they asked him if he talked to Henson. Zorn sort of smirked/chuckled and said "Oh yeah".

Got the **feeling** Zorn said one of three things to him.
1) In the great RI tradition..."Henson, 'your' and idiot", or
2)"Henson, thank you, thank you, thank you, for making yourself part of the 24/7 sports-news cycle, and helping to take some of the heat off me for making one of the worst play calls in the history of bad play calls on 3rd and goal from the 5. I mean, seriously Henson, a halfback option? I'M an idiot!"

**By *feeling*, I'm saying that was my impression/opinion, not fact

Posted by: 4-12 | September 22, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 22, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Joining a little late, so here are some quick thoughts:

Heyer - I can only remember the one play against the Giants where I think it was second and goal from the 5 and he missed his asignment allowing Tuck to tackle Portis for a 3 yard loss. It was a huge play in that game. If you remember, the TV was showing Zorn screaming at him when he walked off the field (although the brilliant announcers said he was yelling at somebody else). I think that play and the fact that we never run right demonstrates that Heyer isn't the answer and we will be seeing BMW in short order.

Henson - Poor judgement on his part calling for a reprimand and an apology both of which have happened - move on. On whether or not you should boo your own team at a game, I guess my opinion on that is that just because you have a right to do it doesn't make it right or, more accurately, logical. I assume you want your team to win the game and I never understood how this furthered that cause - just my opinion.

Go Rhino!

Posted by: CTSkins | September 22, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

flounder,

if rinehart and heyer are consistently overwhelmed JC will be the only one paying. We simply dont know if Rinehart has the ability to play in the NFL, and it sounds like Heyer has been shaky.

That's a recipe for disaster!

And if the right side plays poorly, we'll get Jenny Craig and Montgomery giving it a go before you know it.

Season literally hanging by a thread already, while teams like the Giants start the same oline for 5 years- we are putting ours together on the fly and without proven backups.

Hope for the best!

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Much of the talk about Portis not being a big play back is kind of silly. Stat used as evidence is he had no runs of over 40 yards last season

But look deeper and you find Peterson led the league with maybe 5 such runs, and only 2 or 3 other guys even had 2.

Meanwhile Portis was 2nd in the NFC for runs over 20 yards.

That's good enough...but he has been seeing the field very poorly so far this season. Gotta improve there

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Don't really know any other way to explain the play calling down there.

Posted by: will_ga | September 22, 2009 9:31 AM

Zorn is all about being balanced. He's so committed to that philosophy that it could cost him his job. For the season, in the red zone the skins have run the ball 14 times and thrown it 10 times. Of the 10 passes one was a half back pass from CP. It may have worked except it was obviously a passing down, and CP ran right (the majority of red zone rushes have been to the left). That play had no chance IMO. One other was a shuttle pass which had a shot if Rabbach didn't get stoned at LOS.

Posted by: TWISI | September 22, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm just blasting them for not drafting any young offensive linemen.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | September 22, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse
I've been thinking about the draft. I suspect that to draft an OL who can make the 53-man squad, you probably have to draft in top 2 or 3 rounds. If the draftee is not expected to make the 53 man squad, he will be exposed on the practice squad, so we might lose him. So just drafting OL bodies is not the answer, especially in the later rounds.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 22, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Jared Gaither was picked up by the Ravens in the supplemental draft BEFORE they needed him. Couple years developing and now he is 6'9" 330 monster set at LT for the next decade. Stepped right in and replaced HOFer Ogden.

That's how it's done.

Posted by: divi3 | September 22, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

If Mike Williams starts, I would expect Campbell to immediately update his will and last testament. Especially if they come up against the Eagles, Giants or Cowboys. Imagine, Mike Williams lining up against Demarcus Ware or Osi Umenuyiora. I pray for JC's safety.

Posted by: tundey | September 22, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

This team is hopeless. The ship's going down fellas.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | September 22, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

not sure if giants have best d-line in the nfc east..after the cowboys destroyed them in the run game on sunday nite(over 250yds) with 3 QUALITY and YOUNG running backs and a big veteran o-line. washington's organization(lack of it) does not draft young rb's and seldom since samuel o-lineman..maybe rinehart will work out..maybe.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 22, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

What about the option "Fire Vinny Cerrato"? You left that out of your poll...

At any rate, you are dead on about the poor judgment of the team's management when it comes to player acquisition. During the team's best years, it was possessed of not just a superb coach in Gibbs, but a GM who knew what he was doing and an owner who— however peculiar— knew his role.

Posted by: cgaquitaine | September 22, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"out-of-shape has beens "
____________

POSTED BY LARRYINCLINTONMD

Hey what about Mike, hey Mikey he'll eat anything...

If Heyer can't produce, Mike has earned his shot. What about making breakfast cereal out of the Cowboys, for a start? Romo is starting to look really lame, and they won't run on us like that.

Posted by: ElYeah | September 22, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see what Rinehart can do. What good is drafting guys if we don't ever give them a chance to play?

I sure hope you're wrong about Mike Williams being close to playing!

Posted by: Jason10 | September 22, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse