Gray ponders defense's role in loss

The Dallas Cowboys are tied for 13th in the NFL (with the Pittsburgh Steelers) in scoring with an average of 23.1 points per game, but the Redskins, minus Albert Haynesworth on defense, gave up only a touchdown in Sunday's 7-6 loss at Cowboys Stadium.

"You held a team that averages [26.8] points a game at home to seven," said secondary coach and defensive spokesman Jerry Gray. "If we'd have said we was going to hold the Dallas Cowboys to seven points, you'd think we would be stupid. There's no way. Come on.

"I thought our guys did a great job of putting a great plan together. We stopped the run, didn't give up the big pass. We let a guy [Tony Romo] scramble. ... You look at it, he made some plays. He's a Pro Bowl quarterback, but if we hold Dallas to seven points and they walk out with a win, something's wrong."

(The Redskins rank 29th in scoring; they're averaging 14.6 points.)

The Monday chats

Cindy Boren will be taking your questions at 11 a.m. Mike Wilbon chats at 1:15 or thereabouts.

The view from Dallas

Not surprisingly, Tim Cowlishaw can't get past the fact that the Cowboys managed only a single TD. ... The Cowboys haven't won a game in which they've scored seven or fewer points since 1970. Randy Galloway shares Cowlishaw's concerns.

Looking ahead to Philly

Paul Domowitch recaps and analyzes the Eagles' Sunday night win over the Bears. ... The Eagles are 6-4 and Sunday night's game was no thing of beauty; Phil Sheridan writes that the key to the team's success is its kids. ... The question of the day at The League concerns just what's up with the NFC East; is it possible it's the worst division in the NFL?

By Jason Reid  |  November 23, 2009; 6:12 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Missed kicks leave Suisham with 'awful' feeling
Next: Betts has torn ACL and MCL

Comments

Draft O-Lineman and a stud RB or QB (one or the other, not both) in 2011 and we'll be set. Our D is golden. And no, the NFC East isn't the worst in football-- get real.

Lastly, F the Cowgirls.

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 23, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and first. Ziiiing!

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 23, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

eff j. reid and these stupid polls

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 23, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

The deep pass was not possible yesterday because the O-line still sucks. We NEED a LT, RG, and RT. QB is going to have to wait. Let Collins and Brennen battle it out. Any rookie QB behind this line will be destroyed.

p.s. Isn't everyone happy we didn't mortgage our future to get the fat inaccurate baby.

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 23, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Jerry Gray throwing the offense under the bus. It's about someone just came out and said it.

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 7:37 AM | Report abuse

This offense honestly played well enough to win. So take some shots. Don't play for field goals. On this day, that strategy came back to haunt Zorn and his playcalling buddy, Sherm Lewis.

When you hold a team to six points, I guess "outstanding" is an appropriate superlative, but the Redskins helped out the Cowboys with missed opportunities and baffling coaching moves. Linebackers London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh both dropped easy interceptions in the first half that would've given the Redskins the ball inside Cowboys territory. And late in the first half, the Skins' lame-duck coach, Jim Zorn, went conservative for no apparent reason. The Redskins had a third-and-1 at the Cowboys' 21 with 15 seconds left in the first half. Instead of taking a shot at the end zone, Zorn sent the field-goal unit onto the field. Shaun Suisham hooked a 39-yard attempt and the Redskins only had a 3-0 lead at halftime.

Posted by: periculum | November 22, 2009 11:58 PM |

This game had Zorn's fingerprints all over it. It was like a different game from the previous week as far as playcalling went. I wonder, if in fact Zorn had a significant role in the red zone playcalling, if this is the out Vinny and Snyder were waiting for.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 7:37 AM

From what I understand, Fletcher did the same thing. If the locker is starting to divide, it's time to let Zorn go.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to know how many times Campbell has thrown to a reciever short of the marker on third down. This guy has got to be the worst decision maker on the planet.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | November 23, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

When Rinehart went down yesterday, the line reminded me of the playoff game in 2006 when Cory Raymer had to come in for Ray Brown.... man, man, man, boy, man.
I like Williams' strategy of bulking up by using the widest numbers available. when you're 320 lbs., I guess 77 might be "slimming".

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Here's a shot at Zorn that I'll take. Rock gets promoted to primary RB, so Devin Thomas gets to return a kick.
The results were very satisfactory.
But will we see any more of that?

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnthonyMix | November 23, 2009 7:46 AM

I thought yesterday's third down performance by the skins offense was pretty solid. I think they converted almost 50% of their third downs against a good Dallas defense. I thought the team faltered in the red zone, which they had been doing the previous game and a half.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

The results were very satisfactory.
But will we see any more of that?

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 7:52 AM

Nope. And it's also pretty damning that both Ladell Betts AND Rock Cartwright look light years better than Portis playing behind the same crappy O-line.

I've never seen a coaching staff get so little out of the available talent as these clowns. I want ALL OF THEM gone. The only one I'd even pause to think about is Joe Bugel, and even then I doubt the next coach (unless it's Russ Grimm) would keep him anyway.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 23, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I think Zorn should be fired for still putting Randle El back there on punts, and for not having DT return kicks all season. He would have at least 2 touchdowns by now.

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 23, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

There were multiple third downs where the receiver (finally!) gained the extra yard to get a first down.
But with the oline in tatters, ten yards is a long pass.

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah...anyone see that block Devin Thomas put on that dude on a early kickoff?

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 23, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 23, 2009 8:03 AM

Yessir. I liked Devin's intensity yesterday. He's gaining more confidence every game. Keep playing the younins, we'll need them next year.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the clip of that block is anywhere on the web?

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 23, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

We don't "make plays". We don't throw the ball down field and give our WR's a chance to make a big play. Either our WR's aren't very good so what's the point, or we (our QB) are far too cautious.

Didn't we draft three young WR's in the last two drafts that are 6'3" or taller 200+lbs that are athletic play makers? Seems like they would be good candidates. Maybe we could upgrade the scheme a little and stretch the field every once in a while.

I watch game after game where other teams put the ball up and let their receivers make plays for big dividends, we don't even take shots...

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Shuisham, then Rocky Mac, then Fletch, then play-calling...I mean, Rocky had a sure INT hit him in the hands with nothing but green grass in front of him, and he totally 'rogered' it....you also can't discount the severity of the injuries that they've suffered....

Here is what I cannot fathom however, they put Montgomery in on the OL for 2 games, then they replace him with Rhino who gets hurt, they then replace him with EdWilliams, its like there is absolutely zero plan, zero structure.

I agree they all have to go, Buges, included....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Anybody want to give Albert H back? I mean, he's only good for 40-odd plays a a game, and we barely missed him.

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

"Will the Redskins win an NFC East game this season?"

Define winning.

The redskin offense has lived down to the ultimate no-win scenario: 4 injured starters, unfocused playcalling, and so-so quarterbacking.

We have six games left versus relatively healthy teams.

Be realistic: chances are we'll lose the rest of our games, despite stellar defensive play.

The only thing we stand to win is a top five draft pick.

So if you redefine winning, you say you hope Jason Campbell and the young receivers get that much better production.

Yes, Campbell's play is erratic.

But perhaps we win if the glimmers of passing production we saw against both Denver and Dallas continue as the season winds down.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 23, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Can't take shots downfield when:

Your quarterback is worried about being sacked.

Your quarterback isn't very accurate on deep passes and doesn't make the best decisions.

Your offensive line doesn't give the quarterback/receivers enough time to let the route develop downfield.

Your head coach doesn't let your quarterback audible into formations that will give him pass protection, or a formation that will exploit any chance at taking shots downfield.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 23, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 7:37 AM

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Good.

Enough "rah-rah, we're improving as a team and sticking it out together" crap that JZ spoon feeds us.

Time to call it out like it is.

Ever since training camp, the obvious issue and weakness of this team has been offensive execution.

Yet all we kept hearing was: "It's early, we're improving, we're going to get better, we're going to find a rhythm".

Baloney sandwich. We are now 3-7 w/ an offense ranked 29th in scoring.

It's time to stand up behind a mic and publicly remind these "professionals" that they all have a 6 game trial period to fight for their jobs.

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

something else that drive me crazy, is MKelly gets 1 ball, Davis got 1 ball, Thomas got 3...THROW THEM THE BALL, throw them the ball 5 times a game till the end of the year...Wes Welker had 15 catches yesterday, these guys get a ball thrown to them, then they get pulled IMMEDIATELY out of the game...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Barely missed him? They only gouged us up the middle running the ball all day and we could barely put pressure on Tonyboy. Did we get a sack yesterday? (seriously, cause I don't remember us getting one...) I think Haynesworth would have changed that game.

Who we obviously don't miss is Portis. Seems like we can slap anybody in there and get results as good or better.

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 8:15 AM |

Albert has played a lot more than 40 snaps. The skins got gashed up the middle to the tune of 153 yards on the ground. Finally, when the rubber met the road and the skins needed a pass rush, there was no pressure up the middle and Romo was able to step up in the pocket and complete pass, after pass, after pass. Yeah they need a stud DT.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

"Will the Redskins win an NFC East game this season?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 23, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Why do we want to win another game?

Why entertain this thought?

The best thing for this team is to continue to lose ugly and bleed to death, so that by the end of this season we can cart this whole project's rotten caracass out to the curb and start from scratch.

I say 3-13 ought to do it...

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

What game were you watching? Didn't you see how many times Cowboys gained yardage up the middle? AH would have had that part closed off.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | November 23, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

griff had a sack....orakpo could have had 2 or more had he been able to wrap up TonyR...it was a game of missed opportunities...int's, sacks, etc...

Rock, played his backside off....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 8:15 AM |

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

The 'Boys ran the ball at will.

Tony Romo was atrocious most of the game, and I believe that had alot to do with the early injury he took to his lower back (when he tried to tackle DHall on the fumble return). It's not like we were in his face all day, he was just missing guys high and wide.

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Damn! My dauphine, I need you to turn on the "set background color= blue when he's using sarcasm" option on Loseable Type.

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

It was so frustrating watching the game yesterday, knowing we're a made FG or a TD away from 4-6 and some serious momentum heading into Philly (which isn't exactly playing well right now)...

But I was flipping back and forth between our game and the Ravens / Indy game, and it was sobering to notice the difference between a great team and a bad team. When we absolutely needed to make a play (both missed FG's, our last offensive drive), we couldn't come through. When Indy needed a play, they made it. They always do. The margin of error in the NFL is so small...but it just confirms we're a bad, bad team, that always finds a new way to lose...

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

ml, to me it all comes down to qb play...and this isn't me damning JC, but in the 4th quarter, when we needed to go 60 yards, JC tries to throw into triple coverage, and its game over....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I understand now why DeAngelo Hall lateraled that intercepted ball to Landry in the Denver game.

The defense KNOWS the only chance of winning is for THEM to get in the end zone, because the offense almost never does.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

10 - the number of TDs Campbell has thrown through 10 games.

9 - the number if interceptions Campbell has thrown through 10 games.

We're lucky to be 3-7.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Bean. Lets get those kid WR's on the field and get them some consistent combat time.

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

SARCASM! Is that what that smell was?

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree with that. On the plus side I have noticed more of a willingness from JC to hang in the pocket and make a throw and take a big hit over the last 2 weeks, which is a positive I think. He made 2 great throws to Kelly and Rock while taking big shots in the process...but for his confidence and long term future in the NFL, he's eventually gonna have to drive us down the field for a game winning score...

MrRedskins21, your posts are starting to sound a bit redundant, I mean I get you hate JC and blame all this on him, but don't you think you've made your point?

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 8:43 AM |
----------------------------------

I don't hate JC, and I'm tired of pea-brained agenda-laden maggots like you implying it.

I supported him from draft day until this year.

He's proven he's a back-up, nothing more.

If that makes you feel he's hated, then I suggest you try therapy.

Have a swell day.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

PS: "matty" I expect to see you write the same thing to ALL the people who repeat themselves (including yourself) re Vinny, Snyder, Zorn, Portis, et al.

They're "redundant."

Do your duty, Mr. Guy!

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Daggar. Sadly, there are some who would post that in seriousness, then spend the rest of the morning puking up worthless stats to back there argument. That's when the fun really gets going...

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I supported him from draft day until this year.

He's proven he's a back-up, nothing more.

If that makes you feel he's hated, then I suggest you try therapy.

Have a swell day.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

After reading that post, you think I'M the one who needs therapy...riiiiiight....try some kind of mild sedative, it may help calm you down...

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

JC's trend is to play well during less significant stretches of the game, and then play poorly when things are really on the line.

The other week I put up a bunch of drive-by-drive stats from various games to illustrate the point - when the Skins are down by a couple scores (10+ points) he tends to play alot better than when the Skins are within one score striking distance. His best drives have come at the end of games with the Skins down by multiple scores and the game out of reach.

At the end of the game he has deceptively decent-looking stats, but you know from actually watching the game itself that he played mediocre and rarely stepped up in clutch situations.

I think the common thread is that he can light it up when defenses are relaxed and starting to slough off, but if the D is playing with real urgency he just sort of wilts, turns the ball over and completes alot of checkdowns.

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

p1funk

"No kidding. Let's not get completely self-deluded, our D didn't play all that great.
The 'Boys ran the ball at will."

The broncos also ran the ballpretty good against the redskin D.

I bet if J McDaniels had a do-over, he would have fed Moreno 25-30 carries after the score went to 14-7.

But he didn't.

And the cowboy running game is not what caused the redskin loss yesterday.

The redskin offense not holding up its end of the bargain did.

Field goals matter in low scoring games.

You throw the ball into the end zone with :15 sec on the clock on third down and you know you get the ball back to start the third quarter.

155 rushing yards didn't cause yesterday's loss.

Cluelessness did.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 23, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of pea-brained agenda-laden maggots like you implying it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 8:46 AM

There's the sophomoric MrRedskin21 that enlightens us with his clever usage of the English language. I don't know why you're so defensive MrRedskin21, but it's pretty entertaining.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Daggar. Sadly, there are some who would post that in seriousness...

Yes, but give them full credit, they almost always claim that AH plays 20-25 plays per game.

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

MrRedskin21 you've been playing that one note for weeks now. It's gone way beyond boring. Just like your played-out come backs.

Posted by: mack1 | November 23, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Campbell played a very good game yesterday under unrelenting heavy pressure. This loss goes squarely on the coaching staff. You can say the coaches don't line up and play the game, true, buthe players were playing this game to win, the coaches were playing not to lose! It's just like Gibbs in his last year here, after every game saying, "you think about everything that can go wrong". Jeez, take a shot at the end zone, the thing that can go right is maybe a touchdown. Run an aggressive play on third and two! Pick it up and you're running another at least another two minutes off the clock and looking at a shorter field goal, or maybe even a TD, god forbid, instead of playing for a 50 yarder! You're coaching a 3-6 team! What have you got to lose? It's like a short-stacked poker player, you get to a certain point and you might as well go all-in! And could somebody tell me why, every time we gash somebody with a big run, next play we line up in the shotgun with an empty backfield? Shouldn't we at least let them think we might run again?

Posted by: drfunknsoul | November 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 8:51 AM |
--------------------------------

Try being consistent. It may help your credibility.

As a fan, I want (in 2010) Zorn-GONE, Vinny-GONE, Portis-GONE, and Campbell-GONE.

YOU make your agenda as transparent as Glad Wrap when the only person on that list you defend is Campbell.

You actually want him playing QB for this team next year?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Funk - that's what a lot of us were hoping to see from JC17 this year. I keep waiting for him to raise the play late in the fourth and drive this team to victory. Instead, I see a lot of raising the play to drive them to a late score that makes the game close before the clock runs out so it doesn't look so bad.

Yesterday would have been the perfect opportunity to change that, but alas...

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | November 23, 2009 8:59 AM |
-------------------------------

If it was that boring, you wouldn't be replying to it.

Further, I don't notice you whining like a little girl over the people who continually call for Snyder to sell the team, Vinny and/or Zorn to be fired, or Portis to be cut.

Buck up, Scooter. It's OK that you're a Campbell-backer. You're entitled to stick with a loser.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 23, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Moe, injured starting QBs has helped our defense the last 2 weeks.

I agree that the issue is the offense, but someone out there suggested that we might be just fine as a D without Fat Albert.

To that I say: "Puhlease".

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Daggar. Sadly, there are some who would post that in seriousness...

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 8:57 AM |

So true. The facts are the facts after all...

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday would have been the perfect opportunity to change that, but alas...

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I had that same hope at the start of the season.

Instead, at 3-7 I think our offense is even worse than our end-of-game stats bear out...is that possible??

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

WORST OFFICIATING EVER!!!!!!!
On the touchdown pass.... Golston was cut blocked, in front of Romo, on the 6 yard line. BEHIND HIM WAS #66 ON THE 5 YARD LINE. 4+ YARDS DOWN THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!! the ball was on the 10 yard line!!!!!!!
THEN!!! the refs decided to call the "Wedge Rule"!!! Every week, every team does it. Nevermind the fact that they tried to penalize the Skins on a reversed call, the throw out of bounds before the missed fieldgoal.
!!!3rd and 1 with 12 seconds!!!! THROW THE BALL!!!!WORST COACH AND WORST OWNER EVER!!!!!

Posted by: baggfull | November 23, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"Jeez, take a shot at the end zone, the thing that can go right is maybe a touchdown."

This what I don't get: the team drafted Malcolm Kelly because he's a 'big-bodied' receiver whose size should enable him to 'make a play' or draw interference.

To me, that means you throw him 'post routes' or 'sluggo routes' into the end zone when you get the ball within the opponents' 40.

The redskins never do.

That's what I don't get.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 23, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I'm sharing your pain. You watch other QB's go after DB's when they get on-on-one coverage and let their WR's make a play. Throw it to the back shoulder or put it up where they can go get it. For some reason, we don't play that game. I was hoping we'd see M&M when we got down to the 20 yard line.

A little fade action, you know...

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 9:06 AM

It's very possible. I remember when Parcells first took over the coaching gig in Dallas. The Cowboys won a lot of close games early that year. The offensive players credited the coaching. They said that in training camp they practiced the heck out of special situation plays, that during the game they were confident in its execution. I'm not sure if that's the case with the Skins, but it sure doesn't look like it. From the Qbs in decisions, the coaches failure to manage the clock etc, the Skins aren't good in those situations.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

moe, I don't get the idea that jc will get sacked or the player who got passed the ball will get tackled in bounds...don't you tell jc after that 10 minutes review, that if the play isn't available send it to souvenier city?? I mean, don't you as the coach, tell him, don't throw the check down, have a clock in your heard, and at 3 if nothing is available, chuck it at the fg posts....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Vinny/Danny are root cause of all problems and winning consistently with that "braintrust" is a pipe dream at best...

BUTT

Zorn has got to be one of the dumbest, no account, loser siht for brains coaches I have ever had the mispleasure of watching on sunday (or saturday/monday.thursday...heck even Friday HS games...)

I thought him not calling plays (and yes Sherm has improved that even though its still a retarted system) was suppossed to allow him to be all around game coach....b/c where I am sitting there has been an INCREASE in bone-headed just moron in game decisions.

Oh well...clean house time.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

From last night, seems germane to the chatter...
The sequence at the end of the half was a great microcosm of the redskins season. Mind you, the 'key' play in a tight game is not at the end of the first half; but it shows how so many little things add up.
-- JC should have tossed the ball away much earlier. The play was over; making the throw so late that it looked OB was not smart. Also, football is a game of inches, why not keep your lead foot inbounds and remove all doubt? Just not precise enough to win games.
--So after ten minutes of banter, it's third down with 15 seconds to go. There is plenty of time for two plays. But...
But JC has this incredible, annoying habit of taking sacks in this same type of situation (3rd down just outside the red zone). I believe this FACT can be confirmed by members of my family, located in distant corners of the house, when I SCREAM in frustration when he takes a negative play like that.
-- Zorn is only human, knows that the CowPies will bring pressure, and that he can't count on JC to dump the ball off, so he calls for the FG. In general, Zorn seems to linger on these types of failures; Sellers drops a TD pass, no more passes to Sellers.
-- And Suisham fails on the FG. I'd give him a teeny bit of forgiveness because of the incredibly odd circumstances, but kick the damm FG. We do not have any margin for error.
-- The only thing missing was an o-line injury.

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the end of half decision to kick a FG instead of taking a shot at end zone.

That end of half situation wasn't the only time we were in Cowboys territory with the endzone beckoning.

Can anyone remember one pass the entire game that went to the endzone?

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Of course Zorn should have let JC take a shot at the end zone. Incredibly, Zorn is more conservative than Gibbs was - but at least Gibbs had a killer running game to fall back on.

Also, Campbell has to take on some responsibility there and lobby for a throw - there was plenty of time during the official review and conference to do so.

In the NO/Miami game, when the Saints were being betaen up in the first half, the Saints got down in the red zone on a 4th and 1, and Sean Payton sent the FG unit on to just get some points before haltime. When the Dolphins called a TO to feeze the Saints kicker, Brees went and cajoled Payton into letting him got for it on 4th & 1. They made it and got a TD.

Campbell shouldn't be so passive. He's in the last year of his contract, and he's dealing with a coach that everyone knows is gone at the end of this season, so he should have pushed Zorn on passing the ball there with 15 seconds left.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

With 6 minutes to play yesterday was there a doubt in ANYONE'S mind how that game was going to play out? It was soooo predictable, it felt like deja vu when it happened b/c it had already played oyt in my mind.

Oh well. This season blows tuna caserole chunks and its all "positive" if Vinny can get siht-canned...BUTT you gotta beat the Cowgirls when you have them on the mutha humping ropes!!!!!! I mean throw us a bone gawd dangit...

F the Skins

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone remember one pass the entire game that went to the endzone?

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 9:24 AM

I remember one third down play where JC looked in the end zone but checked down to Rock. It seemed to be a good play because Aikman said JC had to take the check down. Suisham made the field goal. Other than that.. I got nothing.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

P1.
You are correct, they did not even attempt a pass towards the End Zone the entire game.

Is there anyone who can recall a single Redskins WR running around in the end zone all game?

Is there anyone who was there who maybe saw a guy hanging out in the paint at any point?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Betts has torn ACL, MCL
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 23, 2009 9:20 AM ET
The Washington Redskins knew after Sunday's loss to the Dallas Cowboys that the news was bad about the knee injury suffered by running back Ladell Betts.

This morning it's been revealed that the news is really, really bad.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Betts has a torn ACL and MCL and will need surgery.

That type of injury doesn't just put him out for the season; it also calls into question whether he'll be ready for next season -- especially with a running back who's on the wrong side of 30.

Betts was starting in place of the injured Clinton Portis, who is expected to miss at least one more game. Rock Cartwright and Quinton Ganther carried the load for the Redskins after Betts went down, and the team may need to sign a running back this week.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I turned off the TV after Suisham missed the FG in the 4th quarter, already knowing what the outcome of the game would be.

This is the first that I've looked at anything sports related since about 3:45 yesterday. Didn't check fantasy scores, didn't look at other games, nothing.

Apathy Rocks.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 23, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I saw Moss down there once but he was double covered. I think we threw it away. If BMW comes back next week at right guard and we get a running back maybe we can try to pass then.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 23, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

twis, thanks for posting....if it weren't for bad news, we'd have none....betts will be back...he'll be ready come august next year....he's not got the mileage that most backs hitting 30 have...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

You actually want him playing QB for this team next year?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

And that comment is where you lose your credibility. I'm not "defending" Jason Campbell. So please feel free to sit back and read this as slowly as you need:

There are plenty of QB's in the league better than JC17. No argument whatsoever. JC17 is an average QB, who I think has proven that he isn't ever going to be the guy who straps a team on his back and carries them to a Super Bowl.

Now, what is hilarious is after nearly every game, I come on the blog and see you, among others, blaming the most recent loss almost entirely on Campbell -- the reason I assume this is b/c he's all you post about after games. When JC threw the game ending pick, I was livid, trust me. But then I sat back, thought about it for a while, and realized that he wasn't the only reason we lost. I also blame Suisham for missing a 39-yard FG (inexcusable), Rocky for dropping a gift-wrapped INT, the injuries, and of course the pathetic coaching staff led by Zorn. Could JC have played better? Certainly. Does he have major flaws (in crunch time, deep balls to Moss, etc.)? Yes.

As an FYI, Troy Aikman yesterday said he's always liked JC, thinks he's a good QB in a bad situation. Now Aikman has 3 Super Bowl rings and is a Hall of Famer. I'll go ahead and take more stock in his opinion than yours....

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Betts has torn ACL, MCL
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 23, 2009 9:20 AM ET

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Hey Marcus Mason, remember how our running game works?

It's real simple - stretch play to the left.

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 9:28 AM

I'll agree with you on this. I did see an interview last night where Kelly Johnson asked him if he wanted to take a shot. Campbell said yes, but he was over ruled. I have no doubt that JC wasn't as aggressive as he should have been in that situation.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

The thing is, if you're not gonna try one more play with :15 left, at least have the players on the field gather on the sidelines, then run back onto the filed when play is resumed to make the kick. That way, the play has some normalcy to it.

We iced our own kicker by making him stand around for five minutes and then attempting the kick. I mean, that's high school stuff.

Posted by: edvar | November 23, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I also am with you. No reason not to take a chance there. Maybe Zorn was afraid to take a sack there, knowing that JC doesn't always throw the ball away as quickly as he should.

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

This morning it's been revealed that the news is really, really bad.

Posted by: TWISI

This is sooo sad. Ladell bides his time and finally gets a shot and now his career may be over.

Then again, EVERYTHING is sad about this season.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 23, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Which raises another gripe of mine.

It seems like the Cowgirls have some sort of inalienable right to have an ex-player call all of the Skins-Cowboys games I remember seeing in recent history.

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

lisa, his career isn't over, thats just very pre-mature. This is the same thing Brady had last year, surgery, then he'll be running in 6 months.

ml, if jz is afraid to take a sack what does that say about his coaching, and JC's ability to throw the ball away?? I mean, don't you HAMMER into his head that if the play isn't there, to throw it away?? Neither guy shows very much confidence....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 9:36 AM |
------------------------------

Nonsense.

Zorn's weird meddling and Lewis' conservative play-calling are also to blame (and I made that clear yesterday), as is Suisham missing from 39.

But the QB had the ball in his hands with 2:35 left and was once again unable to move the team into scoring position to get a win.

This is something he has not been able to do through different coaches, different systems, different O-lines.

He threw an INT on a potential comeback drive in Dallas under Joe Gibbs too. When the game rides on his shoulders, he chokes.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Then again, EVERYTHING is sad about this season.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 23, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Not everything. The Chiefs are now 3-7 so we've moved ahead of them in the draft order next year.

By my estimation, we're sitting at #5 and that can improve #3 if we lose to Oakland and Detroit can win 1 more game this year.

GO LIONS!

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 23, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Can everyone on both sides of the JC attack/defense squad, which usually degrades into sub-school yard insult "battles"level just STFU already. You are ALL bores.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

It says a lot -- don't get me wrong I'm not defending him there. I don't see why you don't take a shot there, given there was plenty of time left to run one play. Now, that being said, the decision looks worse when Suisham shanks a 39 yd. FG...

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight

Sonny J. said on 980 this morning that he spoke to Zorn after the game about taking a chance there and Zorn told him he was afraid JC would get sacked.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 23, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

p1funk

"My question is this: Why didn't we EVER taks a shot at the end zone the ENTIRE game?"

You got tape of redskins' games going back awhile?

Watch'em.

This issue of not throwing the ball into the end zone has gone on since the days of Clueless Steve.

Spurrier had his faults, but he a least tried to score.

The gang that's running things now, thinks "field goal" first and "punt second".

Me?: I say go for the throat when you get inside the other team's 40.

You'll either get pass interference, an incomplete pass, or a touchdown.

Two out of that three ain't all that bad.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 23, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I think we can all agree that we need a RT, RG, RB, C, and a LT before we need a new QB so the point is moot.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 23, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"afraid"

That about sumz it up.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

CL - if you don't like it, I suggest 1)ignoring it by not reading it, or 2) go to a different blog.

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

F cHRiS lARRy

What do you want us to obsess about Up Here? Hamster Nation has a one-track mind... I suppose we can switch over to "fire the owner" talk if you want.

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Also, re Zorn's weird meddling/Lewis' conservative play-calling, how much has Zorn surrepitiously taken back over the last couple weeks?

I thought he was supposed to keep his mouth shut re play calling for the rest of the season, but it seems like he definitely had some input yesterday, and the results were as lousy as ever.

And it makes NO SENSE that Zorn was prepared to kick a 48 yard FG after the initial call on JC and the subsequent delay of game penalty, then when both of those calls were reversed and he had 3rd & 2 with 15 seconds left, he goes ahead and kicks the FG ANYWAY instead of taking at least one shot at the end zone.

He's clearly not playing with a full deck.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Different topic real quick: does anyone know Zorn's role now? He admitted in the postgame interview that he was to blame for wasting a timeout. If he's being argumentative with both Sherm's on playcalling and stalling the process, thus leading us to burn TO's because JC isn't getting the play in time, that would be a "firing with cause" offense to me...Zorn, save your input for when the defense is on the field, you donkey...

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 23, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Unless it's 4th and short on the goal line.

Then they think "stretch-run play".

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I thought that was maybe JC's best game in terms of getting the ball out while under pressure. I don't know if he missed some wide open WR's or anything but he kept his eyes down field and got rid of the ball.

Sad about Betts. Probably done. If I don't you 10 weeks ago that Rock might be the only carryover RB from this season what would you have thought?

Hopefully we get a young RB in here soon that can prove something for next year. Otherwise add RB to the list of first day draft picks.

Posted by: Gweez | November 23, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

...and Zorn told him he was afraid JC would get sacked.

And with reason, but at some point you have to let the players make the plays.

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 23, 2009 9:49 AM |
---------------------------

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Such an attitude is irrational.

It's like saying, "I'd like to drive down to the 7-11 and get a Big Gulp, but I'm afraid I might get hit by another car, so I'll just play it safe and stay home."

Zorn is an old lady.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 23, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

A lot of the sacks we get are because we have no where to go. Both tackles cave and then the interior line gets pushed backwards. In that situation any pass play from inside the pocket would have resulted in a sack. The cowboys would have blitzed and the line would have folded. The best course of action would ahve been to roll JC out of the pocket and let him try to make a play on the run. If he is outside of the pocket he can airmail it into to stands. If there was a busted coverage then maybe we would have scored or at least gotten closer on the field goal.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 23, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Will Jim Zorn have a better record in his 2 seasons as coach than Steve Spurrier?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

mr21, I don't understand why JZ doesn't tell JC to THROW IT AWAY!!!...if you're getting pressure THROW IT AWAY!!! Just mind-boggling...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

My bad....keep cutting/pasting your same "funny", and "insightful" lines....

I took last week off RI, thanks mattlightweight for reminding me why.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Why all the glum faces?!

We played our hated rival and division leader to a close end. We played low scoring Redskin football and were it not for some coarching gaffes and an iced kicker would have won the game.

The team played their guts out and deserve some accolades. Screw the pundits and nay-sayers. Bring back Stompsworth and we win this one.

Bring on Philly.

Hail!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 23, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow, didn't realize Betts was hurt that bad. My guess is he's done for good, at least in Washington.

Looks like you Mason slurpers will get your wish after all.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 23, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

oops, forgot about Cleveland. We can still get to #4!

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 23, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

My guess dik is that most people like beating our hated rival better than "playing guts out" loss...

But Dik you are your own cat, so do you!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

rock played really well yesterday, can't deny that, lets get mason in here, and see what he can do with some live game carries/catches....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

My bad....keep cutting/pasting your same "funny", and "insightful" lines....

I took last week off RI, thanks mattlightweight for reminding me why.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

And I'll be devastated if you take this week off, too...

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Alright gang, enjoy picking at the carcass...your right if I am annoyed by it I should stop reading.....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

3-7. That's not too good. yep.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 23, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Playoff Contenders or pretenders?

Pick'em:

NFC North
Minnesota Vikings

NFC South
New Orleans Saints

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals

I'd say the Cowboys are the weakest team.

The stillers will get in on a wild card.

NFC wild card will be the iggles.

Otherwise, the playoffs should be very exciting this year as some strong offensive teams will be facing each other.

The redskins?: they'll be facing free agency.

'Cuz we're always the champs of that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 23, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I would hope Mason is back. I'm a little surprised they waited so long the last 2 weeks to rule Portis out, but have already announced he'll sit again this week. If they're that concerned about him, hey we're 3-7, why not just put him on IR already?

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Mattylight!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

3-7. That's not too good. yep.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 23, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

O_E,
I think Spurrier went 7-9 and then 5-11, If I am right Zorn needs 1 win to tie and 2 wins to be better then Spurrier by the end of this season.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Mattylight!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

haha, same to you CL...

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Good news is that if this keeps up we'll have a shot at Russell Okung.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 23, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

If Haynesworth plays, the Redskins yesterday. Period.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 23, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

pa, lets get VC out of the position of drafting first...heck, these clowns could look at Levi and say that the LT position is covered, and take a qb in the first...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Good news is that if this keeps up we'll have a shot at Russell Okung.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 23, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Too bad we will probably end up trading the pick so that we can move up to take Tim Tebow.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 23, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Dallas is a weak 7-3.

I still think Minnesota has the best team in the NFC right now.

I'm not totally sold on New Orlans yet. It will be interesting to see how the Saints do against New England this week.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 23, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

honk honk

Posted by: mattylight | November 23, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins definitely yesterday. That's a given.

I accidentally 93 Megabytes! Is that bad?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 23, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | November 23, 2009 9:31 AM

I was thinking the same thing. It was just like almost every game we played against dallas when they had that stretch where they beat us 15 out 16 times…..knew it was coming when there was only 6 points on the board. Just when I thought to myself, oh yeah, we only need a FG to take the lead back, Campbell got picked off. And as usual, Giants win, Cowboys win, Eagles win……skins lose.

I thought Campbell and most of the offense gave a very good effort. One pick at the end isn’t going to make me say he played poorly. I think that this loss falls on the coach. Too conservative once they got into FG range. That 3rd and 1 or 2 with the draw to Rock was the worst thing I’ve seen in quite some time…..they need to let them audible….period. EVERYONE knew it was gonna be a run. Then he assumes Suisham can make a 50 yarder….he’s had a good year but we all know he’s got maybe a 1 in 5 (at best) shot from 50 yds. Defense played their butts off, but just let it slip through their fingers. Orakpo came so close to getting sacks so many times, but Romo was just too slippery.

Tough loss, but like CL said, I seemed to feel that it was coming. Good to see that they haven’t quit, but let’s see some m ore youngsters…..time to take it to Philly.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 23, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

On 3rd and 1 from the 21 yard line with :15 to go, Zorn opts for a FG -- missed.

On 3rd and 1 from the 32 yard line, Lewis opts for a draw play, settles for a 50 yard field goal, and we miss.

Campbell was 11 for 11 on 3rd down.

These are inexcusable decisions by Zorn/Lewis (I have a feeling Zorn was heavily influencing Lewis' choices during this game). And this is the reason why coaches have a greater impact on the game than in any other sport. The Redskins coaches killed the offense themselves yesterday.

Posted by: psps23 | November 23, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I am so eager to see how our team looks next year. I am done trying to guess/figure it out. There is no way to tell so I will just wait patiently to see how this whole coach/gm/Qb/RB/OL thing plays out. Drama, Drama, and more Drama. Our defense is good, we need to cause more turnovers and score now and again.

Posted by: FedorEm | November 23, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

The word I am hearing is the Jerry Gray will be introduced tomorrow as Head Coach at Memphis. What do your sources tell you? Any comment yet from Jerry?

Posted by: JDub21 | November 23, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Jerry Gray will not be a Redskin coach next year! Please take the job that is being offered to you!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | November 23, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse