Gray says he has not yet signed with Seattle

Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray said reports of his hiring by the Seattle Seahawks are a bit premature.

"I do have an offer from Seattle to be their secondary coach, and it's a one-of-a-kind offer, but I have not signed yet," Gray said in a lengthy phone interview Monday evening. "I'm not waiting for any particular reason, but with the holiday it hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying it won't happen. We'll see what happens tomorrow [Tuesday]."

In the last few months, the Redskins interviewed Gray, their secondary coach the last four seasons, for multiple top coaching positions. Gray, who is African American, is believed to be the only minority candidate interviewed as a potential replacement for former head coach Jim Zorn, who was fired Jan. 4 after two seasons.

Because they interviewed Gray, the Redskins were in compliance with the Rooney Rule requiring teams to interview a minority candidate for head-coaching and senior front-office vacandies, paving the way for owner Daniel Snyder to introduce Mike Shanahan on Jan. 6 as Washington's new coach and vice president. The Redskins also interviewed Gray for their defensive coordinator position, which last week went to former New Orleans Saints and St. Louis Rams coach Jim Haslett.

Gray, whom many Redskins players hope will be retained by Shanahan, is believed to be under consideration to continue to coach the secondary. The remaining holdovers from Zorn's staff are expected to be told Tuesday whether they will be offered positions for next season. It appears Gray will move on to Seattle.

"Pete Carroll is a great guy and he's offered me a great opportunity," Gray said of the Seahawks' new head coach. "With the holiday, I didn't want to bother anyone there today. But I'm sure we'll talk tomorrow. I have not heard from the Redskins, but I am not waiting for the Redskins."

By Jason Reid  |  January 18, 2010; 6:42 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Gray hired to coach Seahawks' defensive backs
Next: Gray accepts Seahawks job

Comments

Peeps were surprised that the Jests beat the Bolts. What surprised me over the weekend was the starting LT for the Cards - the strip club stick-up artist known as Jeremy Bridges, cut during the season by the Skins. Not good enough for a team with a woeful OL. Did pretty pretty good 2. Warner was sacked only once.

Posted by: MrPink | January 18, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I remember being stunned when Bridges was waived at the end of training camp. I remember a story about soethong happening in the last exhibition game that raised issues dealing with character. I was sure he would make final 53 roster. Does anyone remember anything about that?

Posted by: frediefritz | January 18, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 18, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Came to read JReid's post about Shaun Suisham's choke-tastic 1-for-3 performance in the Boys-Vikes playoff game...and leaving dissatisfied. Wha' happan'?

Actually, I'm not surprised JReid hasn't posted about Suisham's horrendous game. Field goals from 47-49 yards should be make-able in a dome...but not for Shaun "I-can't-make-field-goals-longer-than-45-yards" Suisham.

Lisa, I've got no grudge against you...but ya gotta admit that your prediction that Suisham would help the Cowboys achieve Super Bowl glory looks pretty silly right now. However, it doesn't trump JReid's unjustified slurping of the guy.

When the NFL Network highlight guys showed the second miss, the lead studio guy actually said, "Redskins fans are laughing right now." How about them apples?

Posted by: jcabana | January 18, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I for one would like him to stay with Skins. You can not have enough good coaches.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 18, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

"Can't understand why the Colts get very little respect."

That's because the other teams in the NFL Final are quarterbacked by an old man, a west coast rookie, and san diego charger discarded midget.

Thing is, the chargers are on the phone.

It seems they want their midget back.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 18, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz

what did you see from the secondary this past year that makes him a "good" coach?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 18, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean that there is no little Irish/English in you woodshed?

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 6:42 PM |

I haven't researched it far enough back to be absolutely certain but I've checked a little ways and so far no. Both sets of grandparents immigtrated from Scotland.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 6:45 PM

LOL I was actually trying for a little dig. but as you can see that is not my forte. Have you been back to the old country at all? Are you sure that Gordon Ramsey the chef isnt some long lost cousin or something..maybe get a free meal at one of his touted restraunts.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 7:05 PM |

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

It was still more worthwhile than zcezcest's aircraft carrier debate from the other day.

Posted by: p1funk | January 18, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

PFT is reporting that Admiral L. Torrence has sent an invitation to Zeek to attend the christening of the USS Temperence, the new air craft carrier set to sail to Haiti on Tuesday noon. Arrival is expected at 2 pm Tuesday in Port-au-Prince.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 18, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Jerry my man, You better sign that contract with the Hawks before it's pulled off the table.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 18, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I bet he is holding out for a DC gig... Nolan got released in Denver, and the Bills can't even find a HC, let alone a DC.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 18, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

jcabana, watch how you talk about the most accurate kicker the redskins had in years!

Posted by: AdamCr | January 18, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 18, 2010 7:07 PM |

YEAH? I just don't get all the "Jerry Gray is a such great coach" traffic.

"But he was a really good DC at Buffalo"... If he was SOOOO great, why didn't ANYBODY offer him a D Coordinator position since then - including this year? Perhaps because they saw how pathetically poor his unit performed?

"But the players really liked him." Of course they did. He didn't put a foot in their @ss when they screwed-up time after time.

So...anybody. What makes Jerry Gray such a great coach?

Posted by: edvar | January 18, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | January 18, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

-------

Yea and Nate Kaeding was the most accurate kicker in NFL History!

How'd that work out for the Chargers!

Posted by: filmchis | January 18, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 18, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Call me old school. I don't judge him on Int's dropped. I don't think the deep set-up's were his idea, but that belongs to Blache's defense. But the D played reasonably well. And I believe in continuity in coaching staff. He also has great background as DC in Buffalo.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 18, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Rough year for Kickers.

Posted by: filmchis | January 18, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Jerry you backstabbing coach who can't teach tackling, catching, or press coverage....don't let the door hit you on the way out......

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 18, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

fredie,

i'm old school too. what about the lack of and outright regression of tackling skills? If he's not to be blamed for anything, then why does he get credit? Seems one-sided to say the least.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 18, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Too bad Nolan was fired so late. Any one who could take the pathetic Broncos from 29th to 7th in one year and then gets fired/let go should be a prime candidate for DC. PFT saying Miami. I would like to have seen him here with all the talent we have on defense. And yes I also think that we have some talent on offense, but i will digress and see what happens.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Nothing against Gray but I will be glad when his name is no longer associated with the Redskins. There just seems to be something wrong when his name pops up.

Posted by: wattsicon | January 18, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Presented without comment:

"Being out of work is no fun," Suisham said, before acknowledging what is fun. "Coming back with the Dallas Cowboys, and now headed to the playoffs."
By Zach Berman  |  December 28, 2009; 10:30 AM ET

Posted by: AdamCr | January 18, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

fredie,

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 18, 2010 7:27 PM |

I agree, there is a new sheriff in town and attitudes , both coaches and players are going to change. with that said continuity with a losing plan is just a continuation of losing.

Start fresh with "ALL" new coaches. these players are not just dumb jocks anymore, they majority are pretty smart so picking up playbooks may take a few weeks of growing pains but unless they start getting it then cut them and find players who can absorb the game plan and put it into play on sundays.

this is the most that i have ever agreed with so may hampsters. must be a new year with upside.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

LOL I was actually trying for a little dig. but as you can see that is not my forte. Have you been back to the old country at all? Are you sure that Ramsey the chef isnt some long lost cousin or something..maybe get a free meal at one of his touted restraunts.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 7:05 PM |

Yea, I figured that but I couldn't let it hit too close to home. Those damn limey basterds. Potato eating, cabbage swilling savages aren't any better.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

"Heck, I was on the team that was running the score up I guess, so heck. . . . I figure, hey, it's the professionals," Allen told Brian Kenny. "It's not like Pop Warner where you're gonna have to write a letter after the game apologizing for it. I thought Coach did what he thought he had to do, and if I was on the other end of it, I might be pissed off, too."

Then again, it's not as if Brooking had clean hands. Or, as the case may be, clean forearms.

Consider this bit of evidence.

No comment needed!!!

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

These quotes from Gray are as confusing as his earlier double-talk about whether he had interviewed for head coach here.

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Gray or no Gray, the Redskins are in better hands next season. See: Shanahan, Mike. http://bit.ly/8smjNh

Posted by: eternale5150 | January 18, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 8:04 PM |

Maybe that is why the DB's were so befuddled about how to play the position.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

We both deliver orders at a Chinese restaurant. So, really not much to worry about in our line of work.

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 6:43 PM |

So your the ones that spit in my soup and put cockroach in the rice and call it meat.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 6:49 PM |

Okay, we found the cheap dork who orders the egg drop spit soup and cockroach sub gum and then says "That's not what I wanted. I'm not giving you a tip." Wait'll you see what you get in your next order.

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Gray gone? Such great news!!!

Posted by: VegasJim | January 18, 2010 6:28 PM |

Vegas, wasn't it more like Grayt news?

Posted by: MrPink | January 18, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 8:04 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. Why explain to us that you aren't waiting on the Redskins. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

Posted by: joeboggs | January 18, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 8:04 PM |

Hence the problem with double moves.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 8:10 PM |

You just got dropped from my Christmas card list.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

nicely played scampbell1975!

Posted by: Skins930 | January 18, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

"...i'm old school too. what about the lack of and outright regression of tackling skills?"

Poor tackling is a league wide issue.

Teams--pro and college-- don't hit as much during practice for fear of injury, so how do you practice tackling?

Too, the fine and yardage enforced rules designed to 'protect' defenseless players, players concentrating more on 'stripping the ball,' and/or not to make helmet to helmet hits, makes anybody think more than necessary prior to making a tackle on a guy in open field.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 18, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 18, 2010 8:19 PM |

Yea, and that's all crap, too. Make the damn tackle.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 8:14 PM

You're not going to enjoy Chinese New Year this year.

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

As the musical chairs games for DC jobs continues one is reminded of how big a diff there is between a good DC and a not-so-good one. Look at the NYG defense - went from good to cratered.

Posted by: MrPink | January 18, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

You just got dropped from my Christmas card list.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 8:14 PM |

The upside is there is plenty of time to make amends - there are more than 335 days til Christmas.

Posted by: MrPink | January 18, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's a twist -- Florio's stealing off RI:

Gray says he hasn't accepted Seattle's offer yet
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2010 8:06 PM ET

Despite widespread reports that Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray has accepted the same position in Seattle, Gray says it's not a done deal yet.

"I do have an offer from Seattle to be their secondary coach, and it's a one-of-a-kind offer, but I have not signed yet," Gray told Jason Reid of the Washington Post. "I'm not waiting for any particular reason, but with the holiday it hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying it won't happen. We'll see what happens tomorrow [Tuesday]. . . .

Here's some free advice, Coach: Take the offer and be glad you got one. You stabbed your former boss in the back by interviewing for his job while he still had it, and most head coaches would not be inclined to trust you.

And the good news for Seattle? If/when Carroll tanks, the Seahawks can interview Gray before firing the current head coach so that they won't have to bother with interviewing any minority candidates once they've locked onto Carroll's successor.

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Its a good thing your not waiting for it cause it aint coming. Time to head on to Washington. We saw enough of your coaching here Thank you

Posted by: skinsfanfrmbirth | January 18, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 8:14 PM

You're not going to enjoy Chinese New Year this year.

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 8:27 PM |

My new restraunt just told me that i am getting Pho KaI, Tom Yung Goong, Nam Sod, Pad Talay topped off with Fried Ice Cream.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

The owner also told me you velly rad and you use fake flied lice alla time.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 18, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz

I not saying I have received such invitation and I'm not saying I haven't. I've not heard from the Admiral, but I'm not waiting either.

As for the aircraft carrier concept, yeah, if you followed what has occurred, its pretty clear that a response in 24 hours beats a response that takes 72 hours, especially if its you or someone you care about under the rubble.

Its also clear that an aircraft carrier designed for disaster relief would have food and water to feed a million people for a short period of time, not 5,000 people. It would have enough water for a million people to drink for a short period, not for 5,000 people.

This is doesn't even cover the improvements in command and control, increased medical response, increased surgical capability, increased temporary shelter (tents, cots, etc), road clean-up, etc. All things done in small quantities on military carriers.

The problems in Haiti wouldn't be 100% solved by this idea, but a tremendous amount could have been done with this sort of dedicated resource that simply wasn't done.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 18, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

The problem as I see it ZZ, and this just comes from a realist, is I can't see any gov't spending that much money on a ship that spends a lot of time hust waiting for something that isn't war. Plus, I'm not sure that an aircraft carrier can make it to the scene in 24 hours unless it just happened to be stationed in the right area. I believe most big ships are docked on the west coast and Hawaii when they are in port.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:25 PM

Here's a guy who just doesn't get it. Under the stimulus plan we're building seven of these ships, one for each ocean. Sure, they're only useful once every three or four years, but think of all the jobs they will create.

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Funny stuff LS. Although you're probably not far off, considering the new Gerald R. Ford class of carrier costs about $9 billion a piece. Heck, we can spare it. (Phuking Dems will probably promise one to each of the landlocked states if their reps will just vote for their healthcare bill)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

John Madden (NBC Sports, Hall of Fame coach), on Colt Brennan,

“I tell you, he can fling it … I like the way he plays. I mean you just feel — you can just feel his energy. He brings a certain energy to the game, a certain energy to the team.” "He's a player who could play on my teams!

If Madden said it, it's gospel!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | January 18, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:36 PM

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but there isn't going to be a healthcare bill. After this Massachusetts election, regardless of who wins, no one will want to be seen voting for health insurance reform. The whole mess blowed up.

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope this new Redskin regime has been watching the good teams in the playoffs, I see a couple of common denominators , OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE lineman.....Athletic linebackers and young swift running backs......

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | January 18, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 9:54 PM |

Don't hate to be the one...rejoice in it. Can you imagine a Righty winning in Mass? Would be a big signal to the libs that you can't trample the supposed minority and ram through their crappy agenda.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:58 PM

and apparently I'm a grammatical genius.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:58 PM

A win would be great, but I don't think it even takes a win. All the incumbent dems are looking at it and saying "I don't want that to happen to me."

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 10:01 PM |

I don't know if any of them are that smart.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I have not heard from the Redskins, but I am not waiting for the Redskins."

Jeeze I hope not.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 18, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Is this the right board...either way Vote Scott Brown

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 18, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone catch the piece 60 min had on American Samoa last night?

Pretty amazing piece. It's no wonder those guys can hit, tackle and play with the intensity that they do. No weight rooms, practice fields and very poor equipment. Practicing on lava fields.

If the Skins have any chance of getting some of these guys, they need to make it a priority.

And now with the Tuna canning industry leave their island, football is all they have left.

Again, great piece.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 18, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 18, 2010 10:01 PM |

I don't know if any of them are that smart.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

They don't have to be. The pollsters will let them know.

Good luck getting the House Blue Dogs and Dem frosh to vote for the Senate bill in the house.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 18, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins930 | January 18, 2010 10:33 PM

I did, great piece. Can we get a scout there ASAP.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 18, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Anyone catch the piece 60 min had on American Samoa last night?

Again, great piece.

Posted by: Skins930 | January 18, 2010 10:33 PM |

We had one. Joe Salave'a, and he was pretty darn good.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

We had one. Joe Salave'a, and he was pretty darn good.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 10:45 PM |

Maybe Skins could hire him and send him there to train up those he thought would work. I was in Guam and knew several Samoan's and all of them were big raw boned people.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

They were a great fun loving group and had a great sense of humor. plus they made some great dishes.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 18, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:58 PM

gay marriage, medical marijuana? are we allowed to "trample the supposed minorit(ies)" for some issues but not others?

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | January 18, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm voting tomorrow in Mass..
She (Coaekly) called Curt Shilling a Yankees fan.. Thats all I needed.. I am voting for the righty.. (totally empirical decision..haha).
The Kennedy's are pis-sed.. That seat has belonged to them for 47 years.
==================================

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:58 PM

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | January 18, 2010 11:02 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 18, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 9:58 PM
---------------------
Doubt that has much to do with it. They already have universal health care in Mass, so the net impact of a federal bill would be much less for them. Prob has more to do with Coakleys incompetence. Going on the radio calling Schilling a Yankee and whatnot. Stupid.

Posted by: AdamCr | January 18, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | January 18, 2010 11:02 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 18, 2010 11:10 PM |

Those issues deal with an extreme minority. The health care issue is much closer to 50/50. Actually it's more likely that a majority disagrees with it. Especially all of the vote buying thats be written into it. Having said that, I don't always agree with right wing agendas, I just don't like someone taking even more of my money and spending it on things I don't agree with. Just for the record though, I believe in equal rights for everyone regardless (and I am a Christian).

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | January 18, 2010 11:11 PM |

That may not have much to do with it but it will sure look that way.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 18, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | January 18, 2010 11:02 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 18, 2010 11:10 PM |

8 in 10 Americans polled supports the legalization of medical marijuana according to an ABCNews/Washington Post poll.

I don't really mean to start an argument with you, I'm just pissed at how incompetent Coakley appears to be.

We probably just disagree on whether or not healthcare is a god-given right. I personally think it is. To let individuals go bankrupt or become uninsured and have no money to pay for healthcare because of a preexisting condition or catastrophic medical event is just unconscionable to me.

Anyways, I'm only really mad at the conservatives who are preaching "fiscal responsibility" while the debt skyrocketed under a conservative president. If you were railing on it all along, then by all means please rail on.

as for the redskins, i don't think they'll miss jerry gray too much. i wish him the best of luck. personally, i think every coach involved with the mess this past year would do well to get a change of scenery.

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | January 18, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I also agree scampbell about the equal rights for everyone. My only problem is how people say that by calling those rights something other than marriage for homosexual couples it's not equal rights. The term marriage was first defined in the bible as being btw a man and a woman - you can't take the religion out of the term. Find another term for it and apply it to the legal rights associated with it for both types of couples and you're done.

As for universal healthcare, I think the medicaid system that's set up in NY would be the best compromise. Government subsidies for people who can't afford healthcare on their own make it affordable and at the same time keeps their hands out of it more than the public option. It also enhances competition, because the more people can't afford regular health insurance, the more people will need the governmnet help, and I'm sure that health insurance companies get less in total with the gov. help than if the people were able to pay in full on their own. JMO though

Oh and BTW, I'm a female lurker/occasional poster.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | January 18, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh, wheres p1funk and PAskinsfan17 when you need them?

Posted by: Skins930 | January 18, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I walk in a room and usually my best attribute arrives before me. I would love to have been remembered by all the ladies as just the smart dude with a really big stick….

It's a curse I know, but I've learned to harness it.

Let's keep this board semi football peeps..

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 18, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

The Steelers went 9 and 7 with BR. Could they have won 9 games with JC? While we will never know, I seriously doubt it. They got great play at the QB position and it translated into wins (obviously IMO).

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 18, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------

I think JC would have had a better shot at 9-7 with the Steelers than BR would have had with the Redskins. But it is all opinion, and I don't think it's fair to pin BRs sacks on his Oline.

You don't hear about the Steelers having to take everything but 3 step drops outta the playbook because they have no chance of blocking for it, as an example.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 18, 2010 2:33 PM

Roethlesburger could have gotten 4 wins with the Skins a whole heck of lot easier than Campbell could have gotten 9 with the Steelers. Skins lost 8 games by 7 points or less...I think BR's play would have given us a number of those games. All conjecture mind you, but the fact of the matter is BR is a significantly better QB than JC and that translates into wins.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 18, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

It's a curse I know, but I've learned to harness it.

Let's keep this board semi football peeps..

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 18, 2010 11:37 PM |

got big nose have we.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 19, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 18, 2010 11:37 PM |

got big nose have we.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 19, 2010 12:01 AM

Good one...

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 19, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Can we get a new O line from American Samoa? Tell Air Snyder to detour on its way back from Haiti...

Posted by: ElYeah | January 19, 2010 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

Couple of points. Could use ships that are being retired instead of building new ones. Some of our current carriers are 30 years old. Also, no reason to equip a ship for military purposes. Much, probably most of the $9billion, is high tech gear. There is minimal need for high tech gear. You could buy 5 million quarts of water and 10 million snack bars for less than Albert Haynesworth got paid this year. That cover 1 million people for a week.

Also, it'll never happen if its a US only thing. But China is sitting on $2trillion in foreign reserves. The Saudis could fund a dozen ships, maybe 2 dozen, with their annual trade surplus.

Lastly, LS, disasters happen pretty often. Most aren't of the magnitude as in Haiti, but there are several disasters every year where this type of ship could make a difference.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Re: This Blog Post....

TALK ABOUT SPLITTING HAIRS JReid!!!

Wow....

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 19, 2010 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Fire Jerry Gray. He stinks as a coach. Mike Nolan was defensive coordinator for the Skins in 97-99 and may have burnt his bridge here. I don't think it was a happy parting.

Posted by: neil64 | January 19, 2010 4:55 AM | Report abuse

can´t wait until JC is gone and i don´t have to read any more moronic know nothing posts about woulda, shoulda, coulda

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 19, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I agree, what makes people think that Jerry Gray is a good coach? If that was the case, Rogers and Landry would have either played better or would have been benched and Gray would be getting offers to be someone's defensive coordinator. By the way, Snyder owes him for participating in the Rooney rule sham and will pay him more here as the secondary coach than he can get anywhere else.

Posted by: oakiedokie | January 19, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 19, 2010 6:53 AM

You think that'll help? I mean, this is the Washington Redskins we're talking about. When has this team NOT had a QB controversy?

After he's gone it'll be the same discussion about Bradford or Clausen or whomever the hell they get here next. The only way the JC haters will be happy is if they have an elite QB with numbers out of this world, anything less is unacceptable.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 19, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 1:06 AM |

I thought of the decomissioned ship thing zz. The problem there I think is only that we will have to eait at least 5 years before one is put to pasture and then it has to be retooled.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 19, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Most of the Navy Ships including Aircreaft carriers are stationed 2 1/2 hours south of Washington in Norfolk. The Carriers ship complement without the air wing is 3000+. A carrier could make it down to the carribean in 24 hours-36 hours. A carrier or large amphip could provide assistance with transport of supplies wter and medical facilities or support. The Navy did so when a Tsunmi hit the pacific.

Posted by: greenera | January 19, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 19, 2010 1:06 AM |
------------------------------------------
Zeke,
I appreciate your wide eyed enthusiasm, but I don't think you are being realistic. For one, I don't think the Navy will ever put one of its nuclear reactors into the hands of civilians or an international psuedo military force. Second, it frosts my butt to know the Chinese are sitting on signficant cash reserves but won't spend them outside of China. China is nationalistic and isolationist. They wouldn't contribute a dime. Heck, they were trying to shake down the other world powers for money to clean up their coal burning plants because they were telling people they were still a developing nation. How much has China or Saudi Arabia spent on Haiti, so far?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 19, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: braker19cleartheline | January 18, 2010 11:28 PM |

Even as a conservative I support legalization of medical marijuana. Antiquated and outdated policies should be reviewed across the board.

I don't have a problem with healthcare as a right. I have a problem with promising representatives money and hospitals for their votes. That's vote buying and it's constitutionally illegal. Plus they're promising these things with our money. I think healthcare needs to be reformed but to ram through some half thought out policies just so Obama can say we got them passed is crap (or any other president for that matter.) This bill is a poorly thought out Frankenstein.

And just so you know, the debt has been skyrocketing for a while. Under both conservative and democratic presidents. Clinton did well with the debt but helped create this housing mess with his policies that encouraged sub prime lending. Bush was a moron and his Dad was oil hungry and a war monger (and that costs money). There is plenty of blame to place all around.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 19, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: greenera | January 19, 2010 7:48 AM |

Thank you. I was not aware of that. I thought most large ships were stationed on the west coast and in Hawaii. I forgot about Norfolk.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 19, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

my god prople, take these crappy liberal posts to some crappy liberal web site and get the he.. off of this sports blog

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 19, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 19, 2010 8:07 AM |

First off I'm not a lib. Second, go f yourself. If you don't like it I'm pretty sure you can scroll past it. Nobody asked you to be the blog cop.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 19, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Sheesh, wheres p1funk and PAskinsfan17 when you need them?

Posted by: Skins930 | January 18, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------

Oh dear god. Just when you think you've hit rock bottom, someone throws you a shovel.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 19, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Jason Lacanfora is Tweeting that Jerry Gray has officially signed with the Seahawks as DB's Coach .Come on J Reid!!

Posted by: jiza32 | January 19, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jiza32 | January 19, 2010 8:17 AM |

Smart move. Take what you can get. I was pretty sure he was a decent coach but I've become all for complete regime change.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 19, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping our defensive gameplan doesn't consist of playing our safeties 30 yards deep on 3rd and 5 again this year.

Posted by: willbkill | January 19, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Wow, did anyone else see Mike Greenberg's flub up on Mike and Mike?

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 19, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse