Gray tunes out talk of Memphis job

Secondary coach Jerry Gray today declined to directly address news reports that he will be named the new head coach at the University of Memphis - possibly as early as this week - and preferred to focus on the Redskins' upcoming game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

But Gray acknowledged the situation has been somewhat of a distraction, prompting him to focus even harder on his current duties. "It's tough right now, because if you take a look, we got [the] Philadelphia Eagles this week, and you got a whole bunch of other stuff going, and the distractions are around," Gray said while speaking on behalf of the defense during his weekly media session at Redskins Park. "I think our guys are grown enough to understand that, you know, the distractions are going to be there. But the thing you got to do is still focus in a little bit harder.

"It's good, in my case, because the distractions are out there. And I know that I've got to keep myself more focused on Philadelphia, and not look around and say, 'Okay, this happening and this happening.' We got to really focus in on the Philadelphia Eagles. It is real hard. And to me, with a lot of stuff going on, I think it makes you a better coach. The guys don't get off track because you don't let yourself get off track. You focus more on what your job is at hand. And this week, Philly, they're a good team. We know we got a good defense."

Gray, who interviewed for the position Tuesday, is believed to have received a strong endorsement from Frederick W. Smith - a member of the Redskins' ownership group who also is chairman, president and chief executive officer of FedEx and is among the university's biggest boosters. One of Smith's sons is a quarterback in the program and Smith reportedly plans to provide an infusion of cash to upgrade the team's facilities in an effort to raise the program's profile nationally.

If Memphis hires Gray, it is unclear when he would leave and who would assume his duties. Gray is defensive coordinator Greg Blache's top lieutenant and he leads the league's top-ranked defense against the pass. He also happens to be the team's spokesperson on defense.

"When a lot more distraction things are going on," Gray said, "I tend to focus a lot more and hone out everything else."

By Jason Reid  |  November 25, 2009; 3:10 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb on Campbell: 'No one wants to be benched'
Next: Players, coaches give Gray high marks

Comments

Ugh, such deary weather up here I do not miss this gray overcast dizzly days...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 25, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

has everyone left for Thaksgiving holiday
so no posts?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 25, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

and I forgot the protocol

or

panties

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 25, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Romo a winner? Thats until the calendar says December. After that, its ALL down hill and this year won't be any different.

Posted by: dcwun | November 25, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Nobody said Romo was a winner. I'm talking about that specific game, that when the chips were down, he got them a TD.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 25, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | November 25, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree and I think that's the mentality that got us into this mess. We are not 1 player away and we never were. We've never had a complete offense. We've never had receivers, running game, and offensive line at the same time.

2000
no receivers
no running game.

2001 - 2003
no offensive line
no receivers.

2004-2008
This is as close as we've come. Almost had a real receiving squad but not quite. If we had a legit primary receiver and a legit #2 we would have won more than 1 playoff game.

2008-2009
no line
no run game

I think blaming it on the quarterback is a feel good solution that ultimately won't do much. The quarterback only controls the passing game. Both the passing game and running game rely on the line. We need to fix the line first. Then I'd fix the running game next. Teams that can run the ball usually have more post season success than passing teams. I'd actually put QB third on my list.

1. line
2 RB
3 QB

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

It's more than a little sad that there are 6 games left and we're already talking about the draft...

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

1. line
2 RB
3 QB

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

I would like to see a Special teams threat at number 3 before a QB. We have to be one of the few teams in the league that don't have anyone, Santana not included, that's a threat to return a punt or kick. With an offense like ours, field position is vital.

Posted by: dcwun | November 25, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"...Okung won't be at the Senior Bowl. He has everything to lose, nothing to gain, and will pass it up."

This is a benefit for everyone if it happens.

It means some lower tier guys get an additional rep against a de-end or tackle trying to move up some team's draft board.

And of that guy plays well, he moves up and becomes a second thought guy for a GM looking for a solid 3-4th round tackle who whiffs on Okung.

If I'm the skins, I draft that guy in the fourth and Ciron Black in the second.

And CJ Spiller in the first.

Thanks, league-source.

You made my point and day all at the same time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 25, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'd even argue FS and SLB before QB too.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry all, I know this isn't fubball related but I'm on a new rant (y'all know how I get.) Dell has screwed me and I would like anyone that has had bad customer service and or products from this crappy company to join this facebook page...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 25, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

no run game

1. line
2 RB
3 QB

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse
===================================

Can't really agree with your reasoning here!!

In 2000, Stephen Davis ran for over 1300 yards. Sounds like a running game to me!!
In addition, while you can make the case that they did not possess "stud" receivers, Connell averaged 19.5 yards per catch and by "committee" they passed for over 3600 yards and were #10 in the league in passing.
Injuries to the offensive line killed the 2000 team. Over 30 sacks as I recall.
In 2002 and 2003 you had 1000 yard receivers in Gardner and Coles. In addition, the claim that they had no offensive line is pretty foolish. You had one of the best tackle combinations in the league with Samuels and Janson, and in 2003 you could add Dockery and Randy Thomas to that line. Seems like Spurrier was more of the issue!!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | November 25, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

i can't say i'd be sorry to see jerry gray leave. as the current db coach, it would've been nice of him to demand the corners in particular to jam at the line of scrimmage because the cushion has killed us on defense and most times when we needed the defense to get off the field, the corners played too far off and the opposing receivers were able to convert. when you look at all the teams we play, you'll notice that the corners almost always jam our receivers...even the lions corners jammed the heck outta us. why can't we do the same? jam the receivers...disrupt the pass patterns and timing between the qb and the receivers and give the d line the time needed to get the qb. all in all, we need a defensive coach that'll instill discipline on the players!

Posted by: charronegro1971 | November 26, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse