Griffin says he's fine after frightening collision

Veteran defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin said he was fine after a frightening helmet-to-helmet collision with London Fletcher in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 23-20 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

In pursuit of Chargers running back Michael Bennett, Griffin and Fletcher banged helmets as Bennett ducked to avoid being hit. Chargers medical personnel tended to Griffin on the field and he walked off under his own power.

"I was chasing the running back, No. 29, I don't know his name, San Diego Chargers," Griffin said. "I rolled over. I felt my right hand. "I felt my leg moving. I opened my eyes. San Diego trainers were standing there, I said, 'I'm good. Let me up.' I'm good. Thank God I got this big neck."

By Jason Reid  |  January 3, 2010; 9:50 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins see Chargers' best only briefly
Next: Lynch: 'Gut feeling' Shanahan will coach Redskins

Comments

Is it a race 2nite?

Who can start a new thread first?

I want in, dammit.

Posted by: Vicc | January 3, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm setting the under over for media outlets camped out at Redskins Park awaiting news of the execution at 15. And I'll take the over.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 3, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 3, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Any one have Mike S email add?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 3, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Too damn bad about this sucky year.

When the sked originally came out, i had visions of certainly attending the chargers game, and possibly raiders as well.

3-7 pretty much ruled that out as pointless though.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 3, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand the constant, uninformative threads that change like the weather.

I'm out.

70 DAYS UNTIL SPRING TRAINING, though.

(I'm just saying.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 3, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Did they just say they removed alcohol from the game because it was too cold? Pfft. They should have shots of vodka at the end of each quarter.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 3, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

shanny_icanthavea_redskinsemail_addy_until_wednesday@gmail.com

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 3, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Rogers' future with Redskins is out of his hands

Heh, heh. Just like all them intercepts the dud dropped were "out of his hands".

Posted by: TubularBells | January 3, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey NoonefromTampa,
I'm down here in FL too, a transplated N VA Skins fan...
It is certainly no secret, Jim Zorn will be fired tomorrow.
The only question is whom will they be forced to interview [Roony Rule] before they hire whom Bruce Allen desires to hire?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | January 3, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

My guess is he's waiting for a flight and posting throwaway snippets form his post game interviews.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 3, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Interesting how these HC musical chairs work out. Not too long ago Shanny was being courted by the Skins, Buff and Dal. Now it looks like it is the Skins and nobody else. And how about the Car job? It was supposed to be going to Cow, ideal since he resides there. And now Fox is coming back and Cow is slumming around making noises like he wants the Buff job! Danny might pull some kind of fast one with all this flux afloat, but all the reports have made the Danny & Shanny Show a foregone conclusion.

Posted by: TubularBells | January 3, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand the constant, uninformative threads that change like the weather.

Posted by: MistaMoe

`
I feel ya. On to tha next 1

Posted by: Vicc | January 3, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ray,

we have a regular group then with MistaMoe and you.

It's freezing here like 41 degrees right now going to the 20's brrrr

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 3, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I can now finally make peace with this year. It truly has been the worst ever. I really am looking forward to next year already. I know that it will be so much better. It simply cannot be any worse. Zorn will be just a bad memory that we will look back and have a good laugh about. Too bad he had two seasons to screw things up so badly. Best of luck to Shanny. We really need you to bring some respectability back to the Redskins.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 3, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

The play Griffin got hurt he was running down a back after a dump off pass. The Rundown, he caught the whip like the Rock and got whip lash. Carter is seen often doing the same thing. I like my D-line involved in the game. While many are fiddling with their helmets (they might as well be squaring up their ball caps... on the sideline) others are making plays.

Though I'm kind of happy we lost. Draft order. Potentially the Skins could have droped to 9th with the win, except Buffalo won. They look to be 4th now with the Chiefs falling back from 3rd to 5th with a blow out of a Denver team fighting for a playoff spot. It's hard to say with strength of schedule being the first tie breaker. Before the final week the Skins had one of the worst (best for the draft) strength of schedules, among the bottom nine. Seattle was the one that was much worse (better). They probably would have jumped ahead of the Skins from the 7th with their loss. Cleveland winning their final also helps because their strength of schedule was near the Skins.

Also I hope that with such a high pick bodes well for Campbell. I could have it backwards but I don't believe their is a QB in the draft worth a top 5 pick, let alone top half. Bradford looked like it last year but he's had injury issues. That Tae Bow guy might be the only one I'd want and he reminds me a bit of Jim McMahon from the Bears. But for that matter (say Campbell gets picked up for a 1st and 3rd compensation) I might want to give Vick a shot at running freely behind a rebuilding line. I think he only signed a one year contract.

I still prefer keeping Campbell, but it could be entertaining while they build a foundation. Campbell out performed Rivers/Volmer. I believe Campbell compares favorably with Rivers. Rivers with half the sacks and a better overall situation is a likely MVP candidate. Swap them and the skins lose some of the runs/ first downs and excuse to bring up the Nationals coaches. Campbell has the same size/arm but able to scramble for a first down. I see him as potentially better on a equal team. Farve seemed able to will a drive alive with a scramble in his heyday. And I think he's a bit undersized. The skeptic in me say that it's name value and reputation that separates him from Brunnel. But some Chargers fans may lament the loss of Drew Brees. I just see Campbell as a good bet either way especially with more pressing issues at hand (LINE). DC cough it up.

Posted by: chavez66 | January 3, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

What if it's not Shanny? I heard Cower was putting together a coaching staff. Fox out, Cower in, Fox to Skins? Cower to Skins? How about if they move Gray up the ladder? Or, what if, they decide to keep JZ?

My money is JZ being shown the door as soon as the plane lands (I can see Dannyboy now, telling JZ, "Hey, I'm not as classless as people think I am. I let you fly back with the team but there is no need to come in tomorrow. Oh, and the guys packed up your office and left your stuff on your door step!")

Could it be Shanny? I don't know... seems a bit too obvious, doesn't it?

Posted by: dmr0834 | January 3, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

When you look at the draft a lot will depend on if and how we shop JC. There are probably 10-12 OT's in the draft that will be drafted in the first four rounds, so we have opportunities. You have to expect Okung to go early as he is the best, hands down. But we don't need the best- we need two or three working OT's through draft and post draft cleanup.

The question comes back to Allen and Shanny and whether or not they want that top pick to go to a QB- again, I would think they only do it if they shop JC. That would open up another 1st round pick and the choice of one of the top three or four OT's out there. We seemed to be slated with Sam Bradford by everyone who has created a mock draft, but Danny seems to like Colt McCoy. I would think Allen and Shanny should have a close look at Colt Brennan as we already have a young QB in the wings.

A lot of rumbles about Vick. Please leave this cancer out of the locker room and have flashbacks of Jeff George. Exciting? Sure. Make some plays? Yup. Lead us anywhere other than headlines? Don't think so.

I wouldn't think we trade for anybody at QB- if we were trading, JC would be on the top of the list. Young, strong, experienced, constantly improving. Who would we trade for? Who do we have that is worth anything other than the guys we need to keep? Orakpo, Haynesworth, Moss, Cooley? Not CP, old running backs seem to end up in New England as FA's, probably for the best.

That said spend a year with Colt and JC and try and build some protection. Shanny likes mobile linemen, so look at some of the faster OT's out there. A couple in the top 10 run sub-5 40's. Not bad for an average of 6-5 305.

Our center is fine and has a few more years ahead of him. Stephon Heyer is grooming nicely, but I have to say Jansen and Samuels have been used up for a while. So, bookend tackles. Rounds 1-2 unless we find a gem of a LB or FS in which case we'll call it rounds 1-4. There are a bevy of good young OG's out there, so in the late rounds I would think we look for someone who has started all or nearly all thier games in college- most of the top 10 have done that and all show good size and speed. I would also think we draft a promising young running back. Mason is ok, Rock is ok, Ganther is ok to poor, and CP will likely still be on the roster with Mike Sellers. I owuldn't hesitate to keep Betts or Rock assuming they can pass Shanny's physical- no guarantee for anyone in our backfield. There are a bevy of LB's and Safeties out there, so assuming we end up with 8 slots I would think it falls out to:

3 OL
2 LB
2 Safety
1 RB

We made our choice for WR, so I think that's out. It becomes Moss and Kelly and pick em' for the other two. If we go five deep (not necessary with Davis, Yoder, Cooley, Sellers on the roster) you keep the one who drops the least passes starting from day one in camp.

Posted by: fireballhank | January 4, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse