Hall: There's 'no holding back this last time around'

The reality of the Redskins' disappointing season sank in long ago, cornerback DeAngelo Hall said. But with the Redskins' last game Sunday against the San Diego Chargers, Hall said it's an emotional time for players.

"Is it a sense of relief? Probably not," Hall said. "It's more so, I guess sadness, you know? I think we call came into this thing expecting to be a better team than we ended up being. I told these guys [his teammates] yesterday after practice that you've got to cherish these last couple of days.

"You've got to leave it all on the field. I know as bad as everybody wants it to be over, I know middle of March, April, guys going to be feenin' to get back out there on the football field. It's no holding back this last time around. It's the last game."

Coach Jim Zorn and his staff officially will be fired after the game and the Redskins sometime next week are expected to introduce former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan as their next head coach. Whatever happens with the coaching staff, Hall hopes the Redskins show significant improvement next season.

"Get better from a coaching standpoint, from a player standpoint, personnel standpoint," Hall said. "That's probably what I'm most looking forward to. That's probably the main reason I want it to end now. I am looking forward. I am kind of excited about what's going to happen. I know we're going to get better."

By Jason Reid  |  January 1, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Farewell to our friends
Next: Just how bad is this Redskins season?

Comments

I am not a big fan of Tracee Hamilton work but she hit it right on in today's article on Gray.

Posted by: jm220 | January 1, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

"Hall: There's 'no holding back this last time around'"

Next Friday, Mr. Hall, there may be a new sheriff (head coach) in town.

Hopefully, he'll inspire you all to give all you have all the time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 1, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

What the hell else needs to be said about change except, it could be worse. There a four or five other teams ahead of us in the "Really suck" catagory.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 1, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Suggestions for hangover cures are always welcome.

Posted by: League-Source

too late now, but did you try the 3-2-1 rule? Drink 3 glasses of water, take 2 advil, and 1 vitamin C. Take those after drinking and before going to bed. It's supposed to work.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 1, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

hangover cures

Watch the first half of the WAS-NYG game, particularly the fake FG attempt.
The palpable sense of relief when you turn it off won't necessarily cure your hangover, but much like repeatedly hitting yourself on the head with a ball-peen hammer, it will feel good to stop.

Posted by: daggar | January 1, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Well, this is like yelling at the door when the cow's already left the barn, ( how's that, mixed metaphor fans? ) but Shanny is not the answer. They'll end up using valuable draft picks on a freaking quarterback, you watch. Plus, like Cowher, you always get the sense that Shannahan is just one busted play away from the big MI. The prospect of watching him scowl at some hapless annointed rookie next year just makes me queasy.

I people are just done with Zenness around here, but does the pendulum really have to swing all the way over?

Posted by: bostskin | January 1, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

DEFENSE:

Making the strongest part of the team stronger.

Thinking into the murky future and MARCH, I believe LaRON LANDRY will not be a REDSKIN next season. We have three solid SS already on the roster in HORTON, DOUGHTY, and MOORE.

The closest we have to a FS is LENDY HOLMES, who has potential, but is not proven by any means. FRED SMOOT, plue-e-e-eze !!!! We need a Free Agent such as NICK COLLINS for that slot. The offense must have the #5 pick.

DeANGELO HALL is not a shut-down cover corner. Until we have DUNTA ROBINSON or someone of his ilk, the defense will continue to bleed points. CARLOS ROGERS can do the job, but may not want to be in D.C. despite a new regime in SHANAHAN. He certainly didn't want to play for JERRY GRAY. That's perfectly obvious by his "play when it suits" mentality. All of you haters of "part-time" SHAWN SPRINGS and CHAMP BAILEY take note. In their prime level of play is what's needed opposite HALL. SMOOT is past his prime, and is no longer a cover corner. JUSTIN TRYON - maybe, and KEVIN BARNES - no. BYRON WESTBROOK is a SS in a CB body, not a cover guy.

KEITH BULLOCK and ANGELO CROWELL will both be available with no strings attached in MARCH to relieve BRIAN ORAKPO of SSLB duties. This must be done even if no other moves are made on the defense.

And we need a big tackle so people can't constantly double and triple big AL. BARRY COFIELD of the GIANTS gets my vote, but others could be just as good.

PUNTING and KICKING are set thanks to VINCENT CERRATO. Oh, and fire ST coach DANNY IDIOT. He's got GANO poping up kickoffs instead of driving them deep. What a clown.

I'll get offensive next time.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 1, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

1) At 220, you are a big fan indeed.
b) In the end, the Gray kerfluffle is sooooo inside baseball that I'm just not sure it's worth addressing. The bottom line is that Snyder has a couple of legitimate requirements when moving on past Zorn (they're not necessarily ones I agree with, but I still concede that they're legitimate): he wants a seasoned pro coach that will be perceived to have full authority. The list of minority coaches that can fill this role are very limited (Tony Dungy and Art Shell are the only two names I can think of, and one is unwilling and the other is tarnished).
So in my mind, the only minority interview is likely to be a token inteview, and I'm more interested in getting someone liike Mike Tomlin in front of an owner that might be open to the possibility of hiring him than I am in filling the numeric quota.
So why is Gray being evasive? If I had to speculate (or had a couple of hours to kill on a day off), I'd guess that the truth is that Gray and Blache have both been "interviewed" on multiple occasions over the past twelve months, after every listless offensive performance, after every jaw-dropping press conference, after the bizarre use of timeouts and challenges, after each feckless two-minute drill... okay, not after every one, because that's too many interviews. But VinnyDan clearly considered firing him at least twice, probably more, and I'm willing to bet that either -- or both -- Blache and Gray were offered the job straight up, and declined mainly because an in-season switch was unlikely to improve the team's fortunes.
But if the FPA called him and asked if he had interviewed for the job, he'd have to say 'yes, and I was offered the job', well, that sort of eliminates the racial bias argument. But you can see why the facts of the case might be a little more problematic than Tracee's article would indicate. Add the profootballtalk angst about whether pre-vacancy interviews count (because we want to encourage minority coaches, but not for interim or replacement jobs!!!!), and all of the sudden we need to get lawyers involved.
Which as you all know ALWAYS improves a process.
"No comment".

Posted by: daggar | January 1, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Been a Redskin fan since 1947 and shared all the good, bad and ugly.But for the first time in all those years I hope Skins get living hell beat out of them.If Dan would have supported old Norv maybe things would be very different today.Hope Norv scores 75 points. Tuck Donald

Posted by: liglewood | January 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Unless there is a CBA in place Barry Cofield will be a restricted free agent. I like your plan for an outside linebacker. I guess that is what is so frustrating about watching the redskins, why isn't Lendy Holmes playing? You know what you have in Smooot. Why isn't Marko Mitchell playing more?

Zorn actually thought if he wins 5 games he will save his job. Find out if these guys can play. That is why it would have been better to fire Zorn and put an interim coach in place and tell him to play the yountsters. Instead we get to watch the overpaid veterans who are more worried about getting injured than playing football. They are protecting themselves for their next team.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | January 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

It would be much better to loose this game than to win. Winning would drop us 3 draft positions.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | January 1, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Trace Hamilton must not have much to do and likes creating controversy for the sake of selling papers. It's just not anyones business what the Redskins are planning other than the those on the inside. As much as these press hounds want the inside scoop they will never get it and they never have 'gotten it'. The NFL is competitive at every level and the Redskins are not going to be
transparent' and show their hand. Gray's comments are only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. All these press hounds can do is speculate. It's pure fantasy. I would love to see someone grade these pukes on how accurate their predictions are. Pretty sure you would find they almost are NEVER right.

Posted by: hotwirehenry | January 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Two certain cures for a hangover from a former alcoholic:

1.- Don't Drink

2.- Drink more now and get drunk again. Then you will have to worry about tomorrow and the vicious cycle begins.

I agree that the first thing (idiotic)Snyder will do, (he's still going to be pulling the strings) will be to draft a QB out of college. I personally would keep Campbell, draft a good RB and some OL and pick up a quality WR, CB and Safety through free angency.

Posted by: shamusliam | January 1, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan sans Elway and that O Line is just another disaster waiting to happen!

Do you really think that he understands the NFC East?

Three to five more years of mediocrity is what we are going to get…...

Posted by: dotto | January 1, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The only person to blame in the Gray interview fiasco is Snyder. Gray had no choice but to interview for the job. He has to interview for every head coaching job and was probably told he had a legitimate shot at it. He couldn't save Zorn's job no matter what he did. That was a done deal halfway through the season. There was no Vinny to do the dirty work, so it all rests with Snyder. What could Gray do but interview? If he turns it down, who knows when the next one will come. No one is going to hire him for any position in the NFL because he had his buddy Zorn's back. Yeah, it was and is ugly, but that is a result of the way Snyder continues to handle his personnel, the media, and the fans.

Posted by: PASkinsFan1 | January 1, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse