Hall will miss Sunday's game; Rogers to start

Top cornerback DeAngelo Hall (knee) has been ruled out of Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles and the recently benched Carlos Rogers will start for Hall at Lincoln Financial Field, Coach Jim Zorn said after practice today at Redskins Park.

"This is that thing that we were talking about last week. Here's another shot" for Rogers, Zorn said. "And he's had a good week of practice."

After repeatedly struggling this season against double moves, Rogers was benched early in Washington's 27-17 victory over the Denver Broncos in Week 10. Denver wide receiver Brandon Marshall utilized a double move in beating Rogers for a 40-yard touchdown in the first quarter.

Wideout DeSean Jackson used a double move while burning Rogers for a 57-yard touchdown in the second quarter of the Philadelphia Eagles' 27-17 victory in Week 7. Zorn and secondary coach Jerry Gray were encouraged by how Rogers responded to being demoted in favor of Fred Smoot.

Smoot started in the 7-6 loss in Week 11 to the Dallas Cowboys, but with Hall slowed throughout the week in practice, Rogers worked with the first team. Rogers has started all but three games he has appeared in since the 2006 season, and he played down his return to the starting lineup.

"This ain't nothing new," Rogers said. "I'm not going into the game with an attitude to show you. I know I can play. Obviously, they know it, too. ... I just got to take advantage of my opportunity. You never know what's going to happen once you get back. All I got to do is just put something good on the film right now." ...

Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (ankle) is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game and will be a game-time decision.

By Jason Reid  |  November 27, 2009; 1:21 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eagles defense thrives under McDermott
Next: Redskins plot to limit Jackson's action

Comments

Put something good on film? How about helping the team get a win you selfish bastard.

Ship this guy out for a 2nd rounder at season's end.

Posted by: elfreako | November 27, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Ship this guy out for a 2nd rounder at season's end.

Posted by: elfreako | November 27, 2009 1:35 PM

A 2nd rounder? You'd be lucky to get a 4th and I'd take that right now.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

PUT SOMETHING ON FILM????

Like what...an interception!

You can feel that way, but you don't say it, jackazz!

Yeah, we should trade this guy. I don't expect anything higher than a fourth for him though.

At least D'Angelo Hall produces before he shoots his mouth off.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

oh man I wish I had DeSean Jackson on my fantasy team! he'll probably have 150 yards and 2 TDs after the 1st half on a couple stop-and-go routes that burn Carlos "Toast" Rogers...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | November 27, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

So....Kevin Barnes will be active for this weeks game, RIGHT?

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

So....Kevin Barnes will be active for this weeks game, RIGHT?

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 2:01 PM

No chance. They're redshirting him and if the play then he'll lose one year of eligibility. .

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it with Jerry Gray.

So many people talk about how great a coach he is, yet brick-hands Rogers had gone backwards this year and has a BS attitude, Hall tackles like a girl, Landry still can't figure out the right angle to take in pursuit or how to keep his head up when he tackles, our CB's line up 12 yards off the ball on 3rd and 7, and our 3rd round pick doesn't even make it on the field. That's coaching, baby...

Philly and Denver smoked us repeatedly for monster plays that clearly were secondary problems, yet he's considered a head coaching candidate? Can we please set our sites a little higher and let this guy walk away?

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Quick tip for Carlos, Greg Blatche and Jerry Gray:

If you're not playing 12 yards off the receiver, you won't have to bite so hard on double moves. Carlos is fast, let him play 3-4 yards off and watch the magic happen!

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Good point Diesel44. Gotta look to the long-term.

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing the grammatical mistakes one can make when you sneak to the computer while hiding from a wife and two kids.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

etrod - I had the same FRIGGEN observation.

Seems they always bust the first move right in front of where our CB's are STANDING flat footed, so naturally they gonna take a step up, and then BAM they blow right by. That's play ground stuff.

...I'm just waiting for some shmuck to post the brilliant retort "Hey man, have you noticed somewhere that our pass D is ranked #1?"

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

They don't teach the double moves at Auburn. Santana Moss burned JC w/a double move earlier this year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

p1funk JZ has admitted that last year he not only had to teach his players on offense how to execute his plays, he had to do the same with his coaches. An inexperienced HC, with inexperienced assistants, putting in a playbook late in the offseason. Add to that JZ had to learn his players, and the injuries suffered by DT and Kelly and you get what we've gotten. But itis my opinion, I have not secret insight that you're asking for.

Anyway, I hope that the new HC will have a more experienced staff in place.

Posted by: TWISI | November 27, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess I don't understand your point.

Everyone had to learn a new playbook and new schemes - Moss, randle El, Thrash, Kelly, all of them.

DT was the slow-learner. By all accounts he was way behind the curve while everyone else was picking it up.

I don't see how that's Zorn's fault.

Posted by: p1funk | November 27, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

The irony is that Rogers needs to learn how to do the very thing that DHall-haters criticize Hall for.

He needs to learn how to give receivers a cushion and keep the play in front of him, and focus on tackling the receiver.

Posted by: p1funk | November 27, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"Clasic fool with a fact! It's number one because nobody NEEDS to throw on us. Once they get more than 61/2 points on us, they can pretty much run it all day and let our prevent offense take over."

Yeah, the Midwest Coast Zorno-Emmitt Mutant From The Galactic Hellhole ain't exactly shatterin' the speed of light..But, if Ham hits that 39 yarder last week, 4-6 looks playoff possible..just sayin'..

Posted by: frak | November 27, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

frak - Yeah that one's gonna hurt for a while.

Amazing how bad the race is this year and in how many ways we could still be in it if we had just taken care of our own business.

D'oh!

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

True story: Zorn looked up from his chart as DeSean executed the double move and exclaimed "wow! you can do that?"

Posted by: daggar | November 27, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News...Tiger Woods seriously hurt in a car accident.

Noooooooooo

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"Don't throw it to stone hands!"

Posted by: Burrasta1 | November 27, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Entire NFC East looks down this year, yep...Wouldn't be surprized if none were in the NFC championship..Vikes over Saints, NFC, and then Colts over Bengals, AFC, Vikes win behind Favre, Super Bowl, Skins draft Ingram to replace Portis, sign zillions in unrestricted cap year...

Posted by: frak | November 27, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

p1funk the DT issue isn't worth debating. I'm glad he's making plays now and hope he continues in the future.

Hopefully Tiger will be make a quick recovery.

Posted by: TWISI | November 27, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods seriously hurt in a car accident.

Noooooooooo

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 3:08 PM

No is the right word. Seriously is not. Facial lacerations and released from the hospital. Backed into a fire hydrant on his neighbor's property? Stay tuned for more reliable details.

Posted by: League-Source | November 27, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I like the way Javier Arenas plays. He's a short corner, but I think he plays bigger than his listed size. Plus he's a good punt returner.

Posted by: TWISI | November 27, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 27, 2009 3:33 PM

I'm going with what was reported.
It should be interesting to get the whole story.

I know usually going somewhere in your car @ 2:30 is usually a bad idea even though alcohol as already been ruled out.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 27, 2009 3:36 PM

This guy is a stud and would also solve our return problems. He should be on the board in the 2nd when we draft. Just saying...

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Diesel,

Whole thing is fishy. Happened @ 3:30 am and story isn't coming out until 3:30 pm and even then the stories are conflicting.

Posted by: League-Source | November 27, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it with Jerry Gray.

Posted by: edvar

YES!!! Been saying this as well. Gray's secondary is the most talented unit on the roster -- and easily the biggest underachiever of any unit so far this season.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 27, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Golf and alcohol don't mix. I would blame the majority of shanks while driving on the booze.

Just heard he was released and thought it was now acceptable for a lil joke.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Or better yet...

Golf and alcohol don't mix.
You should never drink and "drive".

I thought Buick's came equipped with airbags. Is it possible TW doesn't drive a Buick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Funny, I thought Hall let others do his tackling for him. The truly sickening fact of letting Jake Delhomme drag his sorry azz for a first down should be enough for him to take remedial tackling lessons.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | November 27, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News from SI:

In a preemptive strike designed to assure that the Washington Redskins will remain mired in mediocrity for any foreseeable future, the Indianapolis Colts have announced that Chris Polian, son of Team President Bill Polian, has been promoted to VP and GM of the team.

Colts owner Jim Irsay was quoted as saying "Chris has been involved in every apect of our football operation for 12 years now, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let that impetuous punk owner in Washington ruin his life and career when his future is so bright here with a perpetually winning organization."

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Oughta be enough cushion sitting on the bench...

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm even more confused now...

Tiger hit a hydrant and a tree, no other cars involved and charges are pending, though they won't release "who's" being charged...

That hydrant needs a lawyer quickly, just in case.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Speculation that Tiger cheated prompted his wife to move some trees over to the right side of the driveway, about 320 yards out.

Posted by: daggar | November 27, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Actually, though, Skins would be wise to draft a second or third round back (there tends to be plenty-ask the Broncos), and get either: A) top blind side tackle: or B) top QB to replace the shaky Campbell..Yeah, Tiger, don't trust nefarious new friends around the holidays: I've been slipped three mickeys in the past ten years (barely made it home alive, no s**t), TRUST NO ONE of this doomed and heinous species, MKUltra lives..

Posted by: frak | November 27, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Not the first time Tiger's hit a tree with one of his drives...

BA-Zingggg!

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

As that talking baby says in those commercial's.

Nice drive, Shankapotamus.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I think if Tiger just shifts his grip on the wheel over a little bit and keeps his head still he should be able to avoid that hydrant next time. But he has to remember to keep his tempo even.

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it with Jerry Gray.

POSTED BY: EDVAR

Some good points but I don't think Gray drafted Rogers or Barnes or Tryon or overpaid for Hall. Landry is playing out of position because the genius EVP kept drafting SSs like Horton and Lendy etc. and the DC designed the bend-don't break scheme they play.

Posted by: TheCork | November 27, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Before impact Tiger was heard yelling "4444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444" and then after impact screamed "put away your G.D. cameras.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree it all starts with his grip. He should hold the wheel like it's a baby bird. He must of been gripping it too tight.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | November 27, 2009 4:21 PM

I asked Denver. They said "We took Knowshon Moreno in the first round."

If you look at the top ten RBs in the league, then you'll see that most of them were taken in the first round:

Chris Johnson – 1 round
Steven Jackson – 1 round
Adrian Peterson – 1 round
DeAngelo Williams – 1 round
Maurice Jones-Drew – 2 round
Ryan Grant – Undrafted free agent
Thomas Jones – 1 round
Cedric Benson – 1 round
Michael Turner – 5 round
Ray Rice – 2 round

Posted by: League-Source | November 27, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Cork - He has two first round draft picks with Rogers and Landry, a second rounder with Smoot and a couple of 3rd rounders with Barnes and Tryon so you can't say he has nothing to work with.

Most of what I pointed out were fundamental skill set problems, like being able to catch, run and tackle. These problems have plagued our secondary for more than one season, yet there is little visible improvement here, with the possible exception of Tryon after D Green got involved. I think that's just bad coaching, sorry.

Posted by: edvar | November 27, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

edvar and Cork

Angelina was a 1st rounder as well. On paper that secondary should be good, but who to blame...

I blame talent evaluation, talent development, and coaching.

Where's Leigh Torrence.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

This ain't nothing new," [CARLOS] Rogers said. "I'm not going into the game with an attitude to show you. I know I can play.

Screw that crap, hot shot. I'm from MISSOURI so show me.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 27, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Denver (Shanahan) is famous for taking RB's in second and third that are high producers (Portis), all I was saying...But since they killed John Lennon, peace doesn't stand a necrochance in Hell..We're not ever getting off this rock, "Star Trek", my a**, this rancid disease will just eat itself alive , the 21st Century is f*kt beyond belief, march on, Christian Soldiers and 9-11 Was an Inside Jock-Itch..

Posted by: frak | November 27, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Last Tiger joke from me...

Did he hook into the hydrant or slice into the tree?

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

roger's needs to play tight coverage(which he cans) watching him at times it seems to me when he gives a big cushion to people he makes the wrong move,just let him play man and cover his man wherever he goes let him jam the wr at the line,let tryon also help to cover jackson and macklin avant is a big slot receiver. I hope holmes(S)and barnes(CB)know the coverage schemes if they don't refrain from playing them. hall to his credit finally at dallas made 2-3 good tackles I was shocked.

Posted by: wathu19 | November 27, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork |

Up until this past week, neither Brandon Marshall or I would have called what we run a 'bend-don't break' scheme.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 27, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | November 27, 2009 5:52 PM

Then why did they take Moreno in the first round, all I was saying...

The draft works the same for all positions. You're more likely to get a star in the first round than the second or third. And, for all positions, no guarantee in any round.

Posted by: League-Source | November 27, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Feels like I wandered into edvar's Vegas show. I think I'll wander out.

Posted by: mack1 | November 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it with Jerry Gray.

POSTED BY: EDVAR

Posted by: TheCork | November 27, 2009 4:49 PM

basically you're both right. bottom line, our secondary has been much poorer in all aspects than anyone expected. literally every position has at best underperformed and at worst gotten completely embarrassed/burned/beaten time and again.

that goes on the coach AND the players AND the dipsht who drafted all these slow learners.

Posted by: greatteamdan | November 27, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

The WallStreet Journal finally weighs in:
(Do you think he will listen if it hits him in the wallet? WTF?)

"I feel like somebody is stomping on my childhood," says Patricia Williams, 48, whose family has owned season tickets for more than 40 years. "There's so little regard for the fans right now, and for the team."
Virginia congressman Jim Moran, who moved to Washington in the 1970s and instantly became a fan of the team, says the mismanagement and commercialization of the franchise has robbed it of its meaning to him. "I find it very difficult to root for the Redskins these days," he says. "A team should stand for something … the Washington fans are great, but Snyder doesn't deserve them."

Posted by: periculum | November 27, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

"It's very possible that the ownership of this team has ruptured themselves in a way with the fans where a lot of them are through," says John Riggins, a former star Redskins running back who has been openly critical of the team's current owner, Daniel Snyder. Michael Richman, a Redskins historian, says that between the losing and the acrimony surrounding the team, "this could go down as the worst season in Redskins' history."
But this season, something seems to have changed. It's not that the Redskins are 3-7 and headed for oblivion—the team has had only three winning seasons since 1999. It's that the complaints many fans and former players are hurling at the team seem to suggest something more serious is happening: that its essence—whatever it is that made the Redskins "the Redskins"—has gone away.

Posted by: periculum | November 27, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Whaaaat! Tiger hurt? Say it ain't so must've been looking at white women again damn!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 27, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 27, 2009 7:03 PM

Dude...There is a time and place for your racial attempt at humor.

The time is never and I'll let you figure out the place.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

RIP Sean Taylor 21

Posted by: skinsst21 | November 27, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Portoise, Haynesworth, Hall: Not playing, already paid, and well stuck. And you guys are complaining about Rogers honesty in wanting to create some decent highlight films so that he can land in something other than a cluster-F?

Posted by: periculum | November 27, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

And you can bet Taylor would be looking for a way to get away from the Snyderator if he were still alive.

Posted by: periculum | November 27, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 27, 2009 8:06 PM

The next Los' highlight would be the first, I just hope he doesn't end up in anymore Eagles highlights.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

The stadium is grossly commercial (why I'd never live in flat asphalt Florida), we here deserve better than that imaginationless PG shopping mall mentality out of range and poorly accessible, but DC gov't (Sharon Pratt) did something to p*ss land shark Cooke off (like not have the mostly poor residents of DC pay for it in taxes), and he exacted his revenge by moving it out to Bumf*ck, PG County, and designed it like PG Mall, jeeziz..Snyder should own the Dolphins..

Posted by: frak | November 27, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

peri -- I think one of the subtle ironies that further hurts the fans is that the cowboys used to be the overpaid underachievers. And Redskins fans despised the cowboy way of style over substance.

Well, things have flipped. They jettisoned some of their high priced whiners (owens, williams, jessica), went back to basics -- their star is the underpaid, unheralded and undrafted miles austin. Less splash and more substance.

In contrast, we're the team spending big on guys who are underperforming (Hall, Portis), injured (Hall, Portis and Albert) and trying to make the big splash (trade for Sanchez, trade for Cutler). All the while, ignoring pressing needs like the OL. And forgetting that in DC, we love our OL even more than our QBs.

In some important respects, mgmt has done the sorts of things that Skins fans despised -- and the cowboys have become more like the team we hope to admire.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 27, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 27, 2009 8:07 PM

Sorry Peri-

Players love Snyder. Nobody pays better than Snyder and he did right by Taylor when he was alive and when he tragically passed.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 27, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | November 27, 2009 8:21 PM |

No, not like that at all. Cooke wanted to pay for everything himself, except for infrastructure around the stadium. Would have been a great deal for DC. The one who was pissed off was Sharon Pratt after that sexist pig Cooke patted her butt. Cooke died not understanding why that was wrong, but with his buttf*ck stadium in RalJon, Md.

Posted by: League-Source | November 27, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Until Campbell creates some signature moments out on the field, he will continue to be considered a quarterback who has not yet arrived, regardless of how impressive his statistics may be.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 28, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Hard to believe Wynn was kept over Dixon. It's moves like this that demonstrate that change is needed in FO and coaching.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 28, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 28, 2009 12:50 AM

Cruz...

Nice research yet again.

This FO kept guys like Wynn and Daniels... These guys were considered average in their prime and this is important because their prime was 4 years ago.

To quote Warren Sapp, "this guy stood out like a turd in a punch bowl."

This guy was cut and yet made the Eagles active roster while we have made a bunch of draft picks and Wynn inactive every week.

The FO needs to be cut.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Diesel, we kept a guy that not only has been inactive for most of the games, but the games he was not inactive was because he was cut to add a punter, over a young guy with huge upside.

This kind of stuff drives me batty...ufb...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 28, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Thanksgiving. Whew. Glad that it's over. Massive consumption of food. This most def a farting country.

Posted by: ElDrano | November 28, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Fat Albert would be ready to play if he had stayed off the ankle and had not amde so many trips to buffett table and fridge over the last two weeks.

Fat Albert was deeply concerned when he heard the Wizards were handing out turkeys. He thought they were talking about him! He did sneak into line and sangged himslef 5 turkeys.

Come on Danny Boy Snyder time for you to do your best Abe Pollin imitation and check the f out!

Posted by: sheepherder | November 28, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Since 1980 which Deadskin QB has the highest QB rating? Joey T not even close. Doug not! Ryp no.

Posted by: sheepherder | November 28, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 28, 2009 12:50 AM

Nice research yet again.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 28, 2009 1:17 AM |

Dudes, Apples and oranges? Wynn and Daniels play DE. Dixon doesn't. He plays DT. So, maybe they should have cut Marcus Mason to make room for another DT?

DT is not a problem on this team. We do not miss Dixon. Lots of reasons to blast the FO, but you've got this confused. If anything you ought to be praising the FO for being so deep at DT and finding talent -- undrafted -- for our practice squad that can make it with the Eagles.

Posted by: League-Source | November 28, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

i'm not fretting over this season anymore if we finish at .500 i'll be fine. it's next season that concerns me. i'm hoping snyder surprises us all and make a few smart choices like keeping the search for a new coach in house. joe bugel first choice greg blache second. seperating v. cerrato from the important decisions and bringing in a real g.m. stuff like that. no need for anymore high priced free agents cap or no cap our front seven on defense needs to continue it's youth movement and obviously portis doesn't take off season conditioning and training camp seriously anymore so make the hard choice and let him go for someone who wants 1500 yards every season

Posted by: nflorida1 | November 28, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

KC Joyner's review of Trent Williams (OT, OKA)prospect as a pro LT. Not very good.

Posted by: TWISI | November 28, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm emerges as candidate for Bills job
Posted by Mike Florio on November 28, 2009 9:56 AM ET

During the Thanksgiving edition of CBS's The NFL Today, Charley Casserly ran down the list of candidates for the Bills' head-coaching gig.

Though he offered up the likes of Jim Haslett and Marc Trestman without acknowledging the fact that those names had been out there for more than a week, Casserly identified a new candidate for the job.

Russ Grimm.

Grimm, the Cardinals' offensive line coach, was a finalist for top job in Pittsburgh nearly three years ago. It's believed that Grimm actually had been told he'd be hired by the Steelers, but that the powers-that-be decided to go instead with Mike Tomlin.

Grimm has since not come close to being hired elsewhere as a head coach.

That could change in Buffalo -- especially if, as expected, none of the "A" listers will be interested.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 28, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 28, 2009 9:52 AM

It's a no brainer to keep a young talented DL player over another DL that is not going to see the field. Plus it makes it that much easier to trade Monty knowing you have a young talent behind him. Additionally Giff is on his way out, so you will need a young talent to replace him.

My big problem with the FO on this is the mentality that experience trumps youth and potential. On this occasion and IMO they made the wrong decision.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 28, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

how about holding on to a interception thrown right to you. this guy is a joke, how about the interception he dropped in the playoff vs seattle. that catch would have won a playoff game for this team.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | November 28, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse