Haynesworth denies boycott rumor

Just received a text message from Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who denied an Internet report he attempted to gather the locker room in protest of the start time of Friday's Christmas Day practice at Redskins Park.

Citing multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, the National Football Post wrote Haynesworth lobbied Redskins teammates to join him in being late to practice. There is no truth to the report, according to a text from Haynesworth's cellphone number.

"I never even joked or said anything like that," the text read. "Plus, if I was boycotting practice, why in the hell would I be at practice?"

Haynesworth acknowledged he arrived at Redskins Park about "20 minutes" late on Christmas Day.
Coach Jim Zorn told Haynesworth to go home, and Haynesworth returned to practice Saturday. Haynesworth is scheduled to start Sunday night against the Dallas Cowboys in a nationally televised game at FedEx Field, people in the organization with knowledge of the situation said.

By Jason Reid  |  December 26, 2009; 7:05 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth is scheduled to start
Next: Ganther: Meyer wouldn't do well in NFL

Comments

hoping we can put this drama and last weeks buttkicking aside for the game tomorrow and kick some cowboy tail! that would really make mine and im sure all of yours holidays!!

Posted by: Neverender84 | December 26, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

first to say -$ well spent

Posted by: cancunlizzard | December 26, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: divi3 | December 26, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Really? No one is telling him that? Because that is actually the definition of gap discipline.

But I guees you'd know from your intimate firsthand knowledge standing on the sidelines and sitting in the meetings listening to what the coaches are telling Haynesworith, eh?

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

You have to wonder how Blache felt about the Haynesworth signing in the first place. I'm sure he was 'consulted', but with the owner all hot to trot, what's he going to say? "Mr. Snyder, I know you sign my paycheck and all, but I must be honest: if you sign that galoof, you're an even bigger dunce than people think.'

Blache's defense in Chicago was a turnover machine (Urlacher and Mike Brown), but he's been a horse of a different color since he got to Washington.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 26, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

"No one is telling him not to blow up plays and wreak havoc. There are 1 or 2 guys in front of him, if he can whip them and get to the qb then it's all good. No one is telling him to just stand his ground and occupy olineman.Posted by: divi3"

I suspect that's exactly what they're telling him.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 26, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Neverender84 | December 26, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

With Haynesworth nice and pissed off, that's what I'm hoping for.

Interesting how in this whole AH/GB drama we are only hearing one side of the story - Haynesworth's. It'd be nice to get the bigger perspective on what is happening with the D-schemes....but we can't b/c our D-coordinator decided to boycott the press and the public. He only comes up to the mic when he's ready to wiggle Danny's pickle after his good friend "Mr. Snyder" takes a tinkle. So if you want to hear all about the generosity of Mr. Snyder, then Blache is on hand. But if you want to hear about our defense, sorry; he's taking the year off.

...so I guess Haynesworth's word is all we have to go on.

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Damn, it is Dallas week isn't it? Hopefully, everyone will carry the same anger and bitterness on the field tomorrow night.

Posted by: dcwun | December 26, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

repost

While I'm at it mono blogging, Urban Myer's retirement raises an interesting possibility. Shanahan spent some time this offseason with Myer studying his offense. If the Skins's were to invest a late 2nd or early 3rd for Mr. Tebow,would it make sense for them to hire Myer as an offensive consultant. He could add certain packages for the golden boy that could increase his value for the team.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

p1funk it's not really only Haynesworth's words. The DL have always cited the scheme as one of the reason's they don't generate a bug pass rush. Two more weeks of coaches who have under performed this year.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Fire Zorn and Blache, they are making my life depressing on game day. I belive Albert, these coaches have shown there true colors already, nobody wants to lose especially the players. Fire The Bums. and F Dallas !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 26, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

the Skins's were to invest a late 2nd or early 3rd for Mr. Tebow,would it...

I didn't think we had a 3rd anymore since Jarmon was taken in the supp draft?

Posted by: will_ga | December 26, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think we had a 3rd anymore since Jarmon was taken in the supp draft?

Posted by: will_ga | December 26, 2009 7:44 PM

That's true but it's a hypothetical situation about the round. If Shanahan wanted Tebow I think the skin's would be able to get a pick that would put them in the ballpark of his draft grade.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm really getting tired of profootballtalk.com. They come up with these outragous stories that if you connect the dots, really make no sense. This one for example is being reported by some guy by the name of Josh Alper and his source is someoen from Chicago newspaper. HOW THE HELL SOMEOEN FROM CHICAGO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN VIRGINIA. You also think they woudl try to make the Redskins look bad so Shanahan would rather go to Chicago. I knew this story was false from the second I heard it. Its funny though, becuase just a few moments ago Lou Holtz was talking about the internet and how anyone cna type anything and people woudl believe it...well that is profootbaltalk.com for you...

Posted by: ATLredskin | December 26, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

HOW THE HELL SOMEOEN FROM CHICAGO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN VIRGINIA.

Posted by: ATLredskin | December 26, 2009 8:00 P

My guess...Greg Blache

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Lose to the Cowboys. Eff the Giants.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 26, 2009 6:32 PM

**********

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to that comment. ALWAYS beat the cowboys. Always. Besides, if we beat the cowboys and help the Gints, who does that hurt? The Cowboys!!!

Posted by: brianearman | December 26, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ATLredskin | December 26, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ATLredskin | December 26, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

PFT isn't all that bad..I guess.

immer's name surfaces as potential defensive coordinator in D.C.
Posted by Mike Florio on December 26, 2009 8:07 PM ET
Despite doing a great job over the past two seasons with the Cincinnati defense, Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer has yet to generate significant buzz as a potential head-coaching candidate for the upcoming carousel of vacancies.

But with his contract in Cincinnati set to expire after the current season, Zimmer could be in line for a lateral move -- and also a healthy raise.

On Friday night, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora indicated that one of Mike Shanahan's first items of business will be to hire former Broncos defensive coordinator Bob Slowik. As La Canfora explained it, Slowik has been working with Shanahan at Denver-area office space. And we're hearing that Slowik will be a member of the Shanahan's staff even if Shanahan lands Zimmer.

If shouldn't be hard for the Redskins to succeed, given that owner Daniel Snyder previously has paid big money to defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. In early 2006, Williams inked a three-year, $8 million extension to remain with the Redskins.

So it might be a good idea for the Bengals to redouble their efforts to get Zimmer signed for 2010 and beyond. In November, Zimmer told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com that the team has approached Zimmer regarding a contract extension, but that "nothing came to fruition."

Possible translation? "I got lowballed."

That's a term that doesn't exist in the Redskins' official dictionary. And one thing of which we're certain is that, if Mike Shanahan is the head coach of the Redskins, he'll have a virtually unlimited budget to hire the lieutenants he desires

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Seems its open season on AH. That's bogus.

Its apparent to me that all Albert wants to do is win. He tried it Blache's way... and the results are less than satisfactory. Blache won't even listen to the guy or guys.

No matter really, it all ends the day after San Diego game. Can't come soon enough.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 26, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

This Barkley kid seems like the real deal. I figure he'll be available for the 2012 draft after his junior year. That will give him ~40~ college starts.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 26, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I suspect we are going to see Albert Say "F THIS!" and start blowing up the Dallas backfield, wreaking mayhem and havoc and leaving a trail of broken plastic and smoldering cowpies in his wake - for which he will promptly be benched for not following the scheme...

Posted by: edvar | December 26, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

This Barkley kid seems like the real deal...
USC QBs lose their edge once you peel away the coeds.
Matt Cassel might become the greatest of all, supassing Carson "I can grow a Beard!" Palmer and Rodney "Hall of Fame" Peete atop the pantheon of Rubber QBs.

Posted by: daggar | December 26, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I hear you daggar. I just think this kid will make it.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 26, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I will say this Rod Gilmore color analyst is really really really lame. "its the wildcat, not the bazooka". Wow, that is really insightful analysis of relevant goings on.

The Trojans tackle as well as the redskins in the secondary.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 26, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

And little suisham kicks for bc

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 26, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas.

I haven't seen this posted all day.

I think the jints' loss has muted the usual blogga fatmouthing on the eve of a cowboys' game.

And even if we lose, I'll post F Dallas.

Only louder.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Albert's got it wrong. It's the fans who are going to boycott and walk out.

Posted by: jburnetti | December 26, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

"Albert's got it wrong..."

Albert should go out tomorrow and prove his worth.

Both he and DeMarcus Ware--two stalwart defensive linemen--will be on the same field tomorrow.

Folks say Prince Al is the best defensive lineman in the game (ha, yeah right) and has delivered on his contract to date.

Let him show up angry tomorrow nite to prove this true.

Otherwise, we'll keep laughing at him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 26, 2009 7:25 PM |

I'm a gap bondage guy myself. The bigger the gap, the tighter the bondage. I love it baby.

Tiger

Posted by: BlackBagOps | December 26, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

We need Eric Barry more than anything???
Mayer is stepping down. I did not like him because he wasn't coaching my team and he wins a lot. apparently those wins cost him. anyways, how are the last year 1st round OT doing this year? who is Zimmer? why can't we hire G.William to run our Defense? skins make me hate foosball. I really wish I did not care about the skins, and I am not thinking about going to the playoffs next year. les miserables

Posted by: Skins2 | December 26, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 9:49 PM

He's the best Dlman on this team, and I'd say the best defensive player on the team. Don't know why you would laugh at that.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

"We're told that Mike Shanahan has targeted Zimmer as the first choice to run the defense, if/when Shanahan resurfaces as head coach of the Redskins."

A lot of shoulda, coulda, woulda, maybe, might in that line.

The only truthfulness to it is that it's written in English.

Beyond that, it makes no sense to me that a guy can get paid uttering uncertainty.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

twisi

"He's (Haynesworth) is the best Dlman on this team, and I'd say the best defensive player on the team. Don't know why you would laugh at that."

Actually, what I find hysterical is that Haynesworth didn't vet Cerrato-Snyder before letting them rush him into signing a deal with them on the eve of FA last winter.

Again: both D. Ware and Haynesworth will play tomorrow night.

Hopefully, Haynesworth will shut up his detractors with stellar play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe I understand now. I don't know how much Blache will have Haynesworth up tomorrow night. Starting is one thing, playing meanigful minuets is another thing. Let's hope that Blache is a able to get past this and what's best for the team.

Posted by: TWISI | December 26, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for your reporting. COuld you please include what time this christmas day practice started in your future updates.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | December 26, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

And even if we lose, I'll post F Dallas.

Only louder.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 9:30 PM |

I believe it is pronounces " The New York Ginas." And F Dallas!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to add that I would much rather have Mike Zimmer and his 4-3 scheme than that waste of a d-coordinator Sloshiitski that Shanananamanama uses.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | December 26, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah!

F Dallas!

Posted by: edvar | December 26, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Gotta hand it to Danny boy. He's a marketing genius! We all hate him but we'll be right there to see what happens next like a bunch of desperate houswives watching the soap opera!

Posted by: papashake | December 26, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Fat Al is full of crap. Orakpo/Carter are one of the top sack duo's in the league, so what is Al whining about? The defense aint great but it's been pretty good this year- far superior to the offense.

We dont have good cover guys and that limits how much you blitz.

Read the nonsense he is talking. The coaches dont what his input? What's he telling them, that the lbs and dbs have too many things to think about it? Guess what fatty, that's life in the nfl these days when you arent on the dline. Offenses are hyper-complicated and so are defenses.

Our db's are running slower because they're thinking? That's the advice our defensive coaches are supposed to heed?

He's been uncoachable his whole career and it's no different now.

Posted by: divi3 | December 26, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

we're 5th in the NFL in sacks! only 5 behind the league leader.

Maybe if Al didnt miss so many plays and games, we'd be first and he wouldnt be complaining.

Dude needs to look dirctly in the mirror before publicly calling out his coaches.

Posted by: divi3 | December 26, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

The wheels have come off the ZORN-bus. Not unexpected.

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 27, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

F dallas

Posted by: rskinz34 | December 27, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

I want CJ Spiller!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

I want CJ Spiller!

Posted by: rickyroge | December 27, 2009 12:57 AM

I want a jessica biel and alba sandwich.

You'd take spiller in the top 10 and pass on a LT?

I'd say trade back collect picks and go OT/FS, RB, & OG. Regardless of any OL FA pick up.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

And a big F Dall-ass.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 27, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Somebody said "Tebow."

I hope they were joking.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 27, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

The only thing we should do with Tebow is pretend we want him so Jax will trade up to get him in a panic. Think we could get their 1, 2 and 3 for him from them? Me neither, but its fun to dream.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 27, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth isn't the only Redskin playing

out of position, and in a faulty, highly

suspect, scheme. The coaches, instead

of furthering their own agendas, should

adjust their game plans to the players

they have at hand. Not the other way

around. This applies to both offensive

and defense. Do what you can, with what

you have, where you are!

Posted by: DeployedFan | December 27, 2009 4:40 AM | Report abuse

'Skins needs for next year;

2x OT
1x OG / C
1x RB
1x CB
1x FS
2x LB

Yikes.

Oh, and God curse the Dallas Cowboys.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | December 27, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow...Just Wow...

Ofcourse the rumor is NOT true.....

The rumor was 'Get BAck' from Blache and/or Zorn for AH going to JReid and airing dirty laundry......

Now back to Football....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 27, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

I've never seen so much drama in the last 3 weeks of a season.

Posted by: postwell1 | December 27, 2009 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Please people, squash the Tebow talk; that some of you are enamored with the next 'hot qb' makes you as bad as the Snyderrato.
If Allen cleans the coaching house completely, that will be a start, vs. that mess from last year. Sad to see Buges go, and I pray someone picks him up; he deserves some kind of award for pulling a straight-up Macguyver trick with this rag-tag group this year. Under Shannahan this team might be 7-9 next year, especially if they dump JC and go with some temporary solution at qb. Since Snyder is not a long term businessman, he's not going to suffer 2 years of 5-11 or 6-10 before they get competitive with the 'next franchise qb. This guy has been playing for the 1 shot Super Bowl for the past 10 years, and all it's gotten the team is 10 years of below .500 mediocrity. I'm hoping the Six Flaggs mess will become so bad that it will force Snyder to re-evaluate how he runs the 'Skins.
The Redskins defense has always been statistically great, but situationally porous. When have they gotten a stop when they needed it? The 1st Dallas game? The 2nd Philly game? New Orleans? Those are 3 games this team could have, SHOULD HAVE won if the defense MAKES PLAYS when it counts.
This team needs players, but more importantly needs leadership from the top down. That Shannahan is the concensus talk is troubling, and if Allen hires him without considering seriously any other candidates means this team is DOOMED again.
To JR Reid et. al., please cover closely this whole coaching choice process. Dig deeply to find out how serious other candidates even want to coach here, and shine that ugly light on Snyder.
If next off-season we get Shannahan and a bag full of flashy free-agents, I will christen a new name for our front office monster:
"Snyderallen": if you pronounce it 'SNEEDERALLEN' it will sound like some oddball piece of furniture in the sale bin at IKEA.

Posted by: pdfordiii | December 27, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Redskin One has just landed in Gainsville, FL. and coach Snanahananhan is rumored to be negotiating with Gator Nation to take over from Urban Meyer next year. Shananahananhan has stated that without Vinney to take advantage of he does not now have a trading partner willing to give him a winning NFL team and teasing Danny has always been soooo much fun. Stay tuned for more useless rumors from disgruntled Skins fans.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | December 27, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 26, 2009 9:49 PM

If you were starting a team from scratch, who would you pick to be the first Dlineman that you build around?

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

We dont have good cover guys and that limits how much you blitz.

Posted by: divi3 | December 26, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Our cover guys are fine. That is when the coaches aren't telling them to stand 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and play a soft zone in the secondary.

Our free safety is a coverage liability. Of course the coaches have had opportunities all year to make adjustments and play him in a different position.

I think what Al is whining about is the same thing that the fans have been whining about with this defense.

Why do we play bend-don't-break crap? Why do we see guys dropping into soft zones all the time? Why are our DBs 15 yards off the LOS? Didn't we invest a bazillion $$ in the defense, so why don't we cut them loose?

The one thing that the D-coaches got right was finding a nice pass-rush chemistry with Carter/Orakpo.

You can criticize Al for sounding off to the media - sure, that kind of stuff is out of line. But the content of what he's got to say is right on.

Posted by: p1funk | December 27, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Practice on Christmas Day? Sad. Shameful.

Posted by: JCM-51 | December 27, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to say folks, but this coaching staff will not allow us to compete.. we will put up a solid fight against Dallas but lose handily in the end. Blache has got to go. I am sure Allen is going to try to clean up this mess. But Blache has been a bad fit for 2 years (remember he was Vinny's pick). Go Skins.. too bad for the upcoming 17 point loss today. Hey - I'm realistic.

Posted by: scoot21 | December 27, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Maybe next time someone wants to retire or simply not come here, i.e. Stevie Superior,DS should just let them be.

P.S. thank you Carolina Panthers!

Posted by: burbworks | December 27, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse