Haynesworth, Smoot expect to play (updated)

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth said his ankle injury has improved and he expects to play this week against the New Orleans Saints at FedEx Field.

"Guys have stepped up and played hard just like I knew they would," said Haynesworth, who has sat out the last two games. "We've been playing hard and the offense has really been moving the ball.

"I think the offense has done a good job, and we just have to keep working. I know we'll keep it up. I never doubted that for a minute."

Smoot a go for Sunday

With the hood from his sweatshirt draped over his head, cornerback Fred Smoot sat at his dressing stall and answered questions about the head injury he sustained late Sunday.

Smoot, who started the game, was not in the lineup on the Eagles' go-ahead drive in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, but he expects to play this week.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm playing. It ain't to that extreme," Smoot said. "I'm good. I'm good. I'm all right. They just didn't want to let me back in the game yesterday, but I'm all right. I think I could have got back in."

Steinberg takes note

Over at DC SportsBog, Dan Steinberg is the Della Street of the sports world. Today, he has Sonny Jurgensen on how the new coach should get to pick his QB...among other tasty morsels.

By Jason Reid  |  November 30, 2009; 12:04 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kelly making strides along the right route
Next: Decision near on Cooley; Portis out Sunday

Comments

You saw it here FIRST...

Skins over New Orleans this weekend

Posted by: CheyenneWY | November 30, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

^^^danking

Posted by: RedDMV | November 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

You saw it here FIRST...

Skins over New Orleans this weekend

Posted by: CheyenneWY | November 30, 2009 12:16 PM

Make that "FIRST, LAST, and ONLY."

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I dont know about beating Saints without any DB's playing??

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 30, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

way to go JReid keep up the hard work

i mean really interesting insight

here at Redskins "Insider"

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I get the feeling the zest of fans interested in Danny

FIRE(ing) CERRATO!!!

has waned after the last 2 or 3 games. I for one still want that bug eyed moron catapulted from Dannys heli pad into the potomac promptly on January 4th 2010!

WHOSE WITH ME!!!???!!!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

how about an update on Jarmon??

how about an update on cutting Rogers??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Zorn presser:

Yeah, it's hard. Guys are together, which is all on me. Bunch of guys hurt...not my fault.

Scored 24 points...I called all those plays. Plays that didn't produce anything, those are on Sherm.

WR-TE-WR...they got lucky a few times...still don't know what they're doing and I can't trust them.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

way to go JReid keep up the hard work

i mean really interesting insight

here at Redskins "Insider"

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

At least he doesnt try to fool people into thinking he's giving readers "insider intel" by filling the site with glass is completely empty negative opinion after negative opinion. Like some1 else used to do...Im not going to name names... because my glass is half full even in the midst of such a horrible season.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

You saw it here FIRST...

Skins over New Orleans this weekend

Posted by: CheyenneWY

Only if the Saints win tonight. If saints lose tonight, I dont see it.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 30, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Kidding, kidding.

Sounds like Jarmon has an ACL.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

ok thats fine then change the name of this blog i think Redskins Cut and Paster is more accurate.

btw i'll name the name jlc f that tubby dork

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 30, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Jarmon is going on IR tour his knee ligament.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

4-12, thats funny....and hits way too close to home..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, Jarmon DOES have an ACL...it just needs to be repaired.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

corny zorny's presser wah wah wah excuse excuse excuse...

this guy is a really bad joke

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The bad news of the last 3 games is that Vinny probably will be able to convince Snyder that the team's injuries and poor coaching were the reason why the team was so bad the first half of the season. He'll point to the strides made by the 2008 draft class and say that we're only a couple of good, young O-Lineman and big name QB away from being a contender.

Cerrato needs to go along with Zorn as soon as the season ends to the rebuilding can begin.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Still thinking about IR for Cooley [ed. note: IR HIM ALREADY! MAKE A DECISION! SHEESH!]

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

flound, good to hear from you, how's things?? I got "Need for Speed-Nitro" for the Wii system this weekend, kids love it..

what did Jarmon tear? Please don't tell me ACL....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Recent 4th "book its" that look brilliant: Bengals winning division and Cushing. Cushing is BEAST. I have him in two IDP fantasy leagues and he is a stats machine. Thanks 4th!

...............

Posted by: chrislarry | November 30, 2009 11:44 AM

Looking back in hindsight....I think the Redskins picking Cushing would've improved this team even more. Orakpo has been getting killed in coverage. Absolutely. Wheter it be for a 2nd/3rd Down conversion or a TD reception.

We have enough youth outside of Orakpo to compensate, by giving Jarmon/CWilson/Wynn more snaps.

Orakpo is Great now as a pass rusher, don't get me wrong. But to me, after bringing in HAynesworth, the need was more at OLB.

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 30, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see Vinny take the fall for this debacle.

OR just get some quality O lineman in here.

I most strongly want to see Campbell here in the future.

If we have 2 guys named Colt next year I may have to call it a day.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 30, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Zorn needs to go....like yesterday...or MAybe just pull a Greg Blache and hand over post-game conferences and weekly talks to Jerry Gray...

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 30, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"I'll be held accountable"
"We're working hard"
"Players and coaching staff inspire me"
"Does Careerbuilder.com still work"
"Competing"
"Proud of them"
"I called every play that was not successful in the football game" -- he said this with a knowing look/chuckle/smirk that drew laughs from the media horde.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Redskins' chances for a playoff date are pretty much done and I think the team should shift gears. This season is no longer about this season. It is about next season. They should try to audition as many young free agents as they can. Meanwhile, the young guys on the roster should start getting more playing time to gain experience. Here are a few other moves I think they should make:

-Let Wynn and Daniels go and elevate Jackson and Skolnitsky to the active roster. Neither one will be back next year and this gives the team to figure out if they have players or not.

Let Mike Williams go and elevate Oldenburg to the active roster. Mike Man-who-waves-in-defenders Williams should be called a failed project and allowed to move on. He has been injury prone and aside from one game at guard, has really not been too effective. Meanwhile, there are guys on the developmental roster that should be given a test drive. I am particularly intrigued by Oldenburg who seems to be a very athletic big man who might blossom with some playing time and coaching.

Cut Collins, sign another QB and give that guy, and Bartel, some reps in games. Look, Campbell may not be coming back and they need to start kicking the tires. Collins is not going to be back next year because he is just too old.

There are some other guys that could be cut, but the team is probably thinking of holding on to those players to put tags on them. With some holes on the developmental roster, I could see them grabbing offensive linemen and running backs for extended looks.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 30, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 30, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis is "becoming a factor" and "playing faster"

Posted by: 4-12 | November 30, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs?

Don't be talking 'bout playoffs.

Kinda hard to have aspirations to play in the post season when your regular season never started.

It did everywhere else except the DMV.

Or at least that is what I like to think.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 30, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Barnes needs more playing time so we can make a decision on Rogers.

Edwin Williams needs some playing time at center so we can make a decision on Rabach.

I'd like to see Lendy Holmes play at free safety and move Laron to strong safety. Then we could rotate Doughty in everytime Laron whiffs a tackle.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 30, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead--

In principle, you're right with your musical chairs. But most of it won't work because you have to pay any guys who were here on opening day if you cut them (Wynn, Daniels) plus their replacements. This team never has enough cap room for something like that.

Bringing in RBs? Well, we've already done that. Bringing in QBs? We've done that, plus how are they going to learn the offense well enough in a week so that you can tell what you've got?

Besides, at this point in the season there's not a lot of talent sitting around out there to add to the developmental squad or the roster.

Posted by: League-Source | November 30, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I want whoever selected Zorn and the WCO as the 'path to dominance' held to account.
I'm concerned that 'whoever' is both Vinnie and Dan. If Dan can't look Vinnie in the bug-eyes and say "you made the choice, and it failed", then Vinnie gets evaluated on the players.

Posted by: daggar | November 30, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"Playoffs?

Don't be talking 'bout playoffs."

No kidding.

What coma have you been in?

Haynesworth's "fat" must be feeling better this week. That and I'm sure he didn't like getting called out for not playing.

- Ray

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 30, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I think we need ONE OL at the very TOP of the draft. I think a line of RD1 pick (Okung?), Dock, Edwin Williams, BMW, Levi Jones across the front would be a big upgrade over what we have going right now. Perhaps Randy Thomas at RG (if he recovers and CLEARLY WINS his job back) and let BMW, Levi compete for the OT spot. Perhaps switch sides with Levi and Okung. Its time to get another 10 year OT in Round 1. Think a RB is in order at RD2. Rds 4 back LBs and BPA at position of required depth, ie Oline, RB, maybe corner.

Heyer, Rhinehart, Rabach etc compete for b/u jobs. Love ya Randy, but see you later if you don't CLEARLY WIN the starting job. We need youth and upside vice age and downside backups on the Oline.

Rogers gone, Smoot older, that leaves Dhall, Tryon and Barnes.

Would love to see Barnes get some work through the end of the year to get him some experience, see what we have and to get some real deal game time film on him for new staff to evaluate.

I would go best OT, best RB, best LB in Rds 1,2,4.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 30, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Things are great I picked up some games for Christmas, I will have to go back and get that one.

He tore the ACL.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 30, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone notice the love the redskins got from the announcers?Aikman and co.They went as far to warn our future opponents that we would beat somebody soon.They do look like a different squad since the Denver game.

Posted by: mark65 | November 30, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I get the feeling the zest of fans interested in Danny

FIRE(ing) CERRATO!!!

WHOSE WITH ME!!!???!!!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | November 30, 2009 12:21 PM

Me and about 1 million Redskin fans.

BOYCOTT $NYDER-FIRE CERRATO-BLOW IT UP!!!!!

Posted by: hessone | November 30, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse