Haynesworth plans to play Sunday vs. Saints

After sitting out the last two games because of an ankle injury, Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth plans to play Sunday against the new Orleans Saints at FedEx Field.

"Yeah, that's what we're shooting for," Haynesworth said. "The guys have done a great job, and I knew they would, and I just want to get back out there and help. We still have a lot to play for, so we just have to keep working right now. That's all you can do."

The Redskins have missed Haynesworth's presence along the line. He is second to none in the league at collapsing the pocket from an interior position, and they could have used him in consecutive losses to NFC East division rivals Dallas and Philadelphia.

"After the [Dallas] game, one of the coaches told me we needed you in there on" quarterback Tony Romo's late touchdown pass, Haynesworth said. "It's tough, but everyone else really stepped up."

Although the Redskins are ranked second against the pass and seventh overall, they have dropped to 25th against the run. Haynesworth could help in that area, too.

"When Albert [Haynesworth] is not in there it hurts us a little bit," secondary coach Jerry Gray said. "Because now they've got to pay attention to what Albert is going to do, they've got to double-team Albert on a pass down. It creates a little more problems for them, too. Albert is going to play this week.

"Now, you can look around and say 'Okay, what are they going to do with Albert?' If that is the case, 'What are you going to do with Brian [Orakpo]? What are you going to do with [Andre] Carter?' Now, we've kind of got our d-line back intact and we've got pass rushers and guys that can stop the run. It makes us a little more dangerous."

By Jason Reid  |  December 4, 2009; 1:13 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jerry Gray remembers Brees in high school
Next: Injury report: Hall doubtful, Sellers probable

Comments

GREAT NEWS

Posted by: kreitmaster | December 4, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Crush brees! Big Al will help. But in the end his presense will only hinder their dynamic passing attack. A limping DH23? I dont see how that is gona help... Put barnes out there with smoot and c'los and tryon. See what he has.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | December 4, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

More frustrating not to make the list at all. I know I only post once or twice a day but come on!

Posted by: REXskins | December 4, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Skins 27, Saints 24. Whos comin with me?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 4, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

The most important college football game is this weekend.

We take the Crimson Tide in an upset.

Thing is, the loser of the SEC Championship game is still better than whatever team that gets elevated to #2 in the polls.

That again is another reason why there should a major college playoff system for football.

There is a playoff system for Div 2/3 schools.

Imagine if this weekend was a football Final 4 the top for ranked teams.

Those games would be more interesting than the hodgepodge of endorsement rich bowl contests featuring a slew of 7-5 teams.

Is it that the college football grand poo-bahs are afraidof the potential payday?

Naw: they're hooked on that bowl money, even if the bowls become the playoff games.

Oooops: I forgot.

They are also worried about the players receiving an education.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm not quite with you ryp, although I do think this will be close, and not a blowout....but then I was 'sure' they couldn't afford AH..what the heck do I know....I'm just famous for bonus points....sigh....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen any quotes from Grilliams about coming back this sunday?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 4, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

from the times:

Mike Sellers is practicing. DeAngelo Hall isn't.

That means that the fullback, who was very limited on Thursday because of a sprained ankle, should start Sunday against New Orleans. And that the two-time Pro Bowl cornerback will almost certainly miss a second straight game. So Carlos Rogers and Fred Smoot will start again on Sunday.

And Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth is on the field, too.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Grilliams said:

"I hate everyone in that organization. I've prepared my defense all week to dive at knees, helmet to helmet, facemask whenever they can get away with it. I've even given them steroids and pcp all week."

Or maybe he said something inconsequential and boring. Which do you think is more likely?

Posted by: REXskins | December 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

There is no way we stay with in 10 of the Saints, this won't be close.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Please Jack, Skins have the 2nd rated pass defense in the NFL. Brees will be lucky to throw for 5 TD.

Albert is back so you know they won't run for more than 150 yards.

Do the math...

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"Albert is back so you know they won't run for more than 150 yards."

How does the redskin offense match up against the saints' D?

Yeah, I know.......

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

U.S. drew England in their bracket in the World Cup.

Not that anyone else here cares, but I'm psyched about it...

Posted by: mattylight | December 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Bean - at least you made the list. I know I'm not as regular as some up here, but its a deep burn....

ZJFR2 - wanna bet the spread? Loser has to sign their posts with a "Resident Idiot" signature for a week?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

--------------------

plenty of bran and less chili helps out w/the last part...

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 4, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

right, I'm sure that's what every team has thought right before they get smoked by that offense. Everyone knows that our pass defense is overrated from getting to play the Rams, Bucs, Chiefs, and Panthers. Our secondary got lit up by the Broncos, the Eagles twice, the Giants had fun in the air, and Atlanta didn't need to throw. We even made Mathew Stafford look like an all pro. The only truly good game our secondary has had was against the Cowboys...that is until they decided to stop trying to run and put Romo in shotgun, then they went through us like a hot knife through butter for the winning TD. Our secondary is very overrated, especially with its best player (Hall) out.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

ryp, bonus points though?? I mean, these things multiply like rabbits, yet have literally ZERO value...I'm burning them in my fireplace....heck, I'm sending te/ls tens of thousands of them to a PO box I set up in his name...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hooray for Mr. Haynie.

Also, panties.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Saints laying 9.5? Absolutely....especially since Bean lost the Betts v. Bradshaw bet and didn't leave yet, so apparently you don't have to stick to your word here so yeah I'll take the bet.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Bean, we could award you most punctuation used on average posts, or biggest Sox fan, or most posts per day (during work hours)...just throwing things out there...me and ryp can vie for "mostly unknown"

Posted by: mattylight | December 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

zj, what are your thoughts on tryon...seems like he's been playing well...you weren't very high on the guy if I recall

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

soooooooooooooooo are we going to get any stories about the skins or just the saints???

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 4, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

How bout some stories about our lack of O-line depth? Or how about all the injuries we've sustained this season? How about the fact that Snyder is the most hated man in DC? Or Vinny is a bumbling idiot who can't get out of his own way? Or the banning of signs at Fedex? I think we've got the Skins covered and I don't mind reading about a franchise who's actually doing something right in 2009 and a player who's overcome some obstacles and reached a level of success. God know we don't have any. Unless you count having to wait in line at the BB&T to deposit your 10 million dollar bonus check.

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | December 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

ml, the problem with most posts per day is that when my boss see's the trophy on my desk, he's gonna want to know how I got it....

zj, I had zero intentions of honoring the bet, just like had I won, you had zero intentions of honoring it...so get that crap out of here....stop making yourself out to be a martyr...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

mattylight

"U.S. drew England in their bracket in the World Cup. Not that anyone else here cares, but I'm psyched about it..."

Liven things up a bit and explain why we should all be psyched.

Otherwise, we're all awaiting the inevitable beat down that's coming Sunday.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"Haynesworth plans to play Sunday vs. Saints"

Great!

Brees may go for 300 yards and 4 TDs, but at least the pocket will be little bit tighter!

Yipppee!

Posted by: p1funk | December 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

U.S. drew England in their bracket in the World Cup.

Not that anyone else here cares, but I'm psyched about it...

Posted by: mattylight | December 4, 2009 1:54 PM

I'm intrigued by this. The U.S. defeated England in the World Cup once. It was a big upset.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts are he got a gift INT last week, he seems to be playing ok I guess, still seen him beat easily on slants, but overall I guess for the limited tests he's faced he's done decent. I'll reserve my judgment until after this week, with Hall out he'll get plenty of playing time this week against a great passing offense, so we'll see how he holds up.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

moe...Scutaro at short....Championship...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The saints are better than us!

But this Sunday they will be a little flat!

The magic will not be there!

The Redskins have too much talent and pride to just let these guys come here and party!

The stage is set for an upset!

We have nothing to lose!

They are not used to the Spotlight and they will fail....if only for one day!

Your thoughts........

Posted by: skinsbacker | December 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Jesus H. Christ.

That list was posted months ago.

That being the case, my list consists of one:

1. Least Original D-Bag: LittleGreenBag

That is all.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 4, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm just rooting for JC to play with his lips in front of him.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 4, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Bean - useless as power rankings, but I would give you either "Most Legitimate Fake News", or "Least Impressed with Redskins Players Draft Value".

ZJFR2 - Its on. I will stick to my word.

I've enjoyed Mattylights comments since he signed on this year....

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 4, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

so zj, would you say that cutting him last year, as you suggested was somewhat shortsighted??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Skins 27, Saints 24. Whos comin with me?

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 4, 2009 1:27 PM |
------------------------------------

I'm there.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 4, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess that's the difference between you and I, I would have honored it, just like I will honor this one.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 4, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Most Legitimate Fake News

Now that is something my mom will be proud of.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

mattylight

Liven things up a bit and explain why we should all be psyched.

Otherwise, we're all awaiting the inevitable beat down that's coming Sunday.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm a soccer fan, so I guess that's why I'm psyched. England is ranked #9 in the world, and I'd love nothing more than sticking it the Brits...World Cup only comes around once every four years, so the wins are so much more sweet and the losses that much more painful.

There -- also, I realize this is of no help to the pending smackdown at FedEx on Sunday.

Posted by: mattylight | December 4, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

beantown

Matt Holliday?

The sawx are chasing Matt Holiday?

Not a bad fit, actually.

I see they signed Scutaro to play short stop.

And which big name pitcher do they want?

Lackey would be the best fit in my mind.

Imagine:

Beckett
Lackey
Dice K
Lester
Wakefield

That'll contend for a title...

..that the Yanks will win.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I would say that I'm reserving judgment until I see him actually tested some.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 4, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

yeah, bullcrap you would have...I'm just so dishonorable....get over it chief...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

mattylight, I'm a "Brit", so watch it sucker.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Talking about the Red Sox in December just sorta says it all about the state of the Redskins, no?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 4, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

beantown

Matt Holliday?

The sawx are chasing Matt Holiday?

Not a bad fit, actually.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 4, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, not a bad fit until an easy fly ball hits him in the nuts to blow a playoff game in October. Good luck with that.

Sincerely,

Bitter Cardinals Fan

Posted by: mattylight | December 4, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 4, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Considering he got abused in the preseason this year, he has still been beat by the same route since starting to play this year and he really hasn't been thrown at much I'm not sold that he's suddenly serviceable because he was able to catch a tipped ball. While that certainly gives him a performance ability that Rogers lacks he hasn't done anything to convince me yet that he can legitimately play corner in this league.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 4, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

ml, thats just funny, don't get it twisted, I feel your angst.....

Beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 4, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

mattylight, I'm a "Brit", so watch it sucker.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | December 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Haha, sorry. I knew once I posted that someone would take issue with that...good to have a futbol fan on the blog though...

Posted by: mattylight | December 4, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Your thoughts........

Posted by: skinsbacker | December 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think you and all the other donkeys out there talking about some sort of New Orleans letdown are nucking futs.

I know everyone wants to be the smarty pants that predicts David over Goliath.

But much like the Biblical account of the matchup, God himself would need to intervene on behalf of the Skins on Sunday...otherwise David gets pounded into a bloody pulp.

I don't think a short week, emotional win, or game outdoors on the road are sufficient factors to overcome the reality that the Skins truly genuinely suck and are playing the dregs of their roster at certain positions, while New Orleans are every bit deserving of their undefeated record.

Maybe there will be a New Orleans "letdown". But all that means is that the Skins lose 21-10 instead of 42-10.

Posted by: p1funk | December 4, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Mr p1funk

That's a strong reply?

It's obvious that your not a skins fan and that's cool

but to use that language is inappropriate

regardless of the outcome, a true skins fan or a fan in general, live for these moments. That's why we are fans,win or lose

It's a sorry year for us. but if we can wreck other teams dreams than that's cool

always be respectful in your comments

you dig!

Posted by: skinsbacker | December 4, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Great news! You'll have a 75% healthy Big Al on the D-line but no DeAngelo Hall in the defensive secondary. Not the greatest trade-off against these Saints who can both run and pass the ball with abandon against any defense they have faced so far this season. Good luck with this one guys!

Posted by: realheavyd | December 4, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse