Haynesworth stresses team unity

One of the knocks on defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth is that he doesn't seem to really care about, well, a lot.

Despite Haynesworth's all-pro credentials, his detractors portray him as a guy who rarely gives full effort and usually just does his own thing. Having watched Haynesworth closely through seven games with the Redskins, however, I can attest to the fact he has gone all out a lot while often drawing double teams, and despite Haynesworth freelancing probably more than defensive coordinator Greg Blache would prefer, there's no disputing he has been a force on defense.

And after listening to Haynesworth in the locker room early Tuesday morning, I have no doubt he cares about what has been going wrong with the Redskins all season. Haynesworth spoke about his frustration after Monday night's 27-17 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field

"Maybe we just need to soul search a little bit, and I'm including myself, and evaluate what we want to do as a football team," Haynesworth said. "You can say but so much, you got to actually want to. Once we get to that point where we want to do something, then we'll be something.

"But if we just keep going our separate ways, we'll keep getting slaughtered like we have. The fans are losing interest. The more games we play the fewer fans come. I mean, it's just getting bad. This bye week comes at a good time right now. Maybe we can come back as a new team. ... I'm feeling lost. Like I don't know which way to turn right now."

By Jason Reid  |  October 27, 2009; 12:19 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell 'hindered' by ankle sprain
Next: Zorn says Cooley likely headed to IR

Comments

Flounder

The Gist of it was DD hates the post and their negative coverage. Every time he said "post" i think he was saying Dan Steinburg, but thats just my opinion.

He has an issue with 3-4 stories overall.

1. Stories that fans are rebelling (claim is that fans love the team and most of it is isolated stories made to be a mass change)
2. The story about suing fans. (says its isolated incidents and only club tickets)
3. Story of selling tix to Stub-hub, (said the post exaggerated the number)
4. The John Cooke story, he just flat out did not like it.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 27, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

From JZ presser. Cooley out 6-8 at a min. Probably going to go on IR. They will look for another TE to fil his spot.

Posted by: TWISI | October 27, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

So far, not good.

No resignation offer yet.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

They need to get a blocking TE.

Posted by: TWISI | October 27, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Keep playing your butt off Haynesworth!!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | October 27, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I love the Redskins, and I think Big Al is a true Redskin. I am afraid he's going to be playing for a bad team for a couple of years.

Maybe, maybe, the football gods are not going to grant us a great team until the Redskins Nation becomes fans of defense. Until the day comes when the D is applauded for holding their foes to a FG when a turnover gives them the ball inside the 20. Until the day when the D is cheered off the field after a 3 and out.

OK. I'll start. I love defense!

Posted by: dpc2003 | October 27, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Great article by Michael Lombardi on Snyder's selfishness as the driving force behind front office decisions.

Posted by: will_ga | October 27, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see that mosquito on Mike Tirico's forhead prior to kickoff? Too funny!

Posted by: rswink | October 27, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The reporters so far has on the kiddie gloves...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Zorn:

We had a lot of successful plays.

(Editors Note: Whaaaa?)

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Zorn:

I can call plays.

(Editor's Note: But can you call them well?)

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's your direction Big Al: keeping moving toward the QB. I repeat keep moving toward the QB.

Posted by: eedchic | October 27, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm coming to atlanta to see you haynesworth, all is not lost, I am a fan with unconditional love... with that said cerrato HAS to go!

Posted by: narielnasl | October 27, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse