Haynesworth Won't Play in Preseason Opener

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth is scheduled to sit out the Redskins' preseason opener Thursday against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium, which is no surprise.

The other day, Haynesworth said he was pleased with the number of reps he had received to that point in camp and he did not anticipate playing in the preseason opener. "It doesn't matter to me, I'll do whatever they need me to do, but the point is to be ready to start the season," Haynesworth said. "I'm not one of these guys who needs to get a ton of reps [in the preseason] to get ready.

"After you've been in this game a while, you start to know your body and know what you need to do, and I feel good about where I'm at right now. You can always do better, but I think I'm picking up what we do and getting more and more comfortable with it every day. You just want to keep making progress on everything. I think it's going pretty good."

By Jason Reid  |  August 11, 2009; 1:06 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Segal Visits -- and Shoots Down Vick Talk
Next: Portis, R. Thomas Not Likely to Play

Comments

first?

Posted by: lmcanda | August 11, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Beefcake. Beefcaaaake!

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 11, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Fine. Preseasons too long anyway. Cut it down to 3 weeks. Maybe a 17th game.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 11, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't need to see him play.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 11, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Haynseworth calling the shots ?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

He better play preseason game 3, that game.... thats all I'm going to say...

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | August 11, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I guess we'll have to wait a few more weeks to see the big guy in action.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

dont play portis or moss either for gods sake... we dont need any unnessary injuries...

Posted by: cocodc1 | August 11, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Can't keep up with the beeps.....does anyone know if the Ravens are going to be playing guys like Suggs and Lewis and their big NT? Would be nice if they sat so maybe our oline doesn't get skewered and maybe gets to build up a little confidence. Kind of worries me that our oline needs to get it going and they start off with none other than the ravens/steelers/patriots.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 11, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I say that we dont play anybody

Who's with me

Come on, I just need one person

Who's coming with me

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"Haynesworth Won't Play in Preseason Opener"

What a coincidence!: I'm not playing in the game either.

I thought me and Prince Al had a lot in common.

Now if we could just even out that bank account difference between us thingy, my world would be a much better place.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Did we ever get those comments from Blatche?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Injury concerns? Just to rest him? Bad blood with the Ratbirds?

Just forfeit the damn thing already.
Or just let the 3rd and 4th string scrubs play the whole time. Less impact if those guys get hurt...

It's like every day is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Posted by: McMetal | August 11, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

41 million guaranteed can't risk breaking a leg in a meaningless game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The only people with any room to complain about Mr. Haynie's (or any player's) missing an exhibition game are the people who have been forced to pay regular-season admission prices for their seats per the NFL's extortionist pricing policy.

Fortunately, I'm not among those people, so I will be with Haynie and McMetal enjoying my Thursday evening and, hopefully, not breaking a sweat.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 11, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Heck, Dave Butz used to find some way to avoid camp every year.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | August 11, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Would like to see Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Fred Davis play - maybe come out as the starters. I would also like to see them play Campbell for one series and sit Collins so Brennan and Daniels can get some work in. As for the rest, let every 2nd and 1st year player in the game.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Don't want to see him or Portis in any Preseason games at all. No need at all.

Posted by: ryan_conaway | August 11, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if Haynesworth, or even Portis can play in a PRESEASON game? As long as he's ready to go at 4:15 PM on Sept. 13, I couldn't care less about his lack of participation in the preseason.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Thursday now = me with a beer watching some kids trying to make a squad.

That is all.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see some of the O Line play, though.

Then need it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 11, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

is this an NFL Network game, btw - (yes, I'm being lazy)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I think its a Comcast game for us locals no clue on NFLN

Posted by: alex35332 | August 11, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 11, 2009 1:50 PM

Nate, you sound confused. The guy signed by the Skins is named Haynesworth, not this guy:

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

NFL network isn't showing this game until like 3 or 5pm the next day. They are showing the Skins/Steelers game live on the 22nd....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 11, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Haney doesn't really seem like he'd be cut out for defensive tackle. Executive Vice President for Football Operations, maybe.

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 2:02 PM

Do you know how bad JLC and other posters up here would have ripped Portis a new one if he made the same comments that haynesworth just made. In fact Portis has been saying the same thing everyear and he gets blasted for it.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Preseason prediction:
127 - 3 ... Skins

Oh, wait, no one told me it was a mini-Campbell on the field. In that case, 47 -7.

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Ever since Portis went out with a seperated shoulder against the Bengals in preseason, I don't want any of our starters playing. They will, but these are the ones who should come out in street clothes.
1. Portis
2.Moss
3.Fletcher
4.Rogers
5.Landry
6.Hall
7.Cooley
8.Samuels

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 11, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 11, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Dan Synder sucks giant monkey balls.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 11, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

As long as he plays in one preseason game I'm okay with him sitting his fat azz out of this one, but like somebody stated earlier D.Thomas, M.Kelley, and F.Davis need to get their BS lunching azzes out on the field and play some dam football. Something they pretty much haven't done since they were drafted last year.

If they were on another team that had a more competent and proffessional FO they might have been released by now.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

All coaches should hold first string guys out for the 1st and 4th Preseason games. With all the Offseason activities along with Minicamps and Training camp playing starters in 4 Preseason games is a waste.

Posted by: moseley_brian | August 11, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Here D.Thomas is signing autographs Saturday, smiling and talking about how he gets his body art down in Miami. Who gives a s#@t! On the football field you and Kelley haven't done jack!! He and M.Kelley with all of this hamstring, and nicks and tweak crap, get the hell on the field and do what the hell your getting paid for!!

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

"Haynseworth calling the shots ?"

No, if you read Haynseworth statement, he said "It doesn't matter to me, I'll do whatever they need me to do, but the point is to be ready to start the season,".

Unless, i'm missing the boat here, I think his not playing is a Coache's decision.

Posted by: dbailey211 | August 11, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

probably shouldn't play campbell behind the beat-up oline either, give colt the start and see what he can do against the ravens' 2nd stringers

Posted by: coparker5 | August 11, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Maryland will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 11, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse