Haynesworth's primary concern is wins, not stats

Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth is frustrated about the Redskins' disappointing 2-5 record, but he is pleased that his presence has helped to improve the play of his teammates.

"I remember you asked me that question when I first signed, and I said me being here will help other guys' numbers. Don't reflect just off my numbers," Haynesworth said. "But what I should have said is we'll get some more wins. That's the thing I failed to mention, but everything else I said has happened."

With 6.5 sacks in seven games, defensive end Andre Carter, who lines up next to Haynesworth, is having an outstanding season. After finishing with four sacks in 16 games last season, Carter is tied for seventh in the league.

The Redskins had only 24 sacks in the 2008 season - tied for 28 th in the league -- and already have 18, which is tied for seventh. Haynesworth's ability to pressure quarterbacks from an interior position despite often being double teamed also has helped defensive backs in coverage. But it's still about victories, Haynesworth said.

"We've got to do something here," said Haynesworth, who has been credited with 21 tackles and has three sacks. "The losses are starting to pile up. We get a few more, we can count ourselves out of the playoffs."

By Jason Reid  |  November 4, 2009; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis: No need for Snyder to apologize
Next: Cooley's progress to be determined Monday

Comments

Not only does the team completely suck, but now several of them need to be muzzled too. JC thinks the fans are stupid, there is no doubt in my mind that mouth breather rode the short bus to school. Complete f'n joke. Blow up the entire team and start over from scratch.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 4, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs?? Playoffs??? Well be lucky to win a damn game! Playoffs??!!!

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 4, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Interesting mentality the Chiefs came out of their bye week with. The Skins could use this type of mindset:

For those who cannot access the link it reads:

"Losers assemble in small groups and complain about the coaches and other players," the sign reads. "Winners assemble as a team and find ways to WIN." (The sign also has the word "team" placed over the Chiefs logo.)

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 4, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Sunday has a big FF Peeps matchup between Redcoat and myself. I lead the league in scoring, yet reside in 4th place, 1 game back. Redcoat is second in scoring and in a 3 way tie for the league lead.

Scoring wise, we're both about 100 points more than the 3rd highest scorer -- that'd be you Alex, who is 2 games back of the leaders.

Me, I'm averaging 100.1 points per game, Redcoat is averaging 99.9.

fwiw, the other two teams tied for the lead are in the middle of the pack scoring wise, but have the two lowest points against total in the league. Of course, a person has no control on the 'points against' part of the deal, its pretty much luck. Which goes to show why only people who check their sanity at the door play FF.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 4, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

is there a more thin skinned guy than JC right now??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 1:54 PM

I can think of two: scampbell and brownwood.

Posted by: League-Source | November 4, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs?!?!?! Don't be talkin about -- playoffs.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

curz, good catch, I wish the redskins had some of that....

We instead have a chart showing players who they should blame for the season...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Which goes to show why only people who check their sanity at the door play FF.

Posted by: zcezcest1
-------------
Couldn't have said it better.

Posted by: RambleOn | November 4, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ok who did it which dump coach decided that Rl will be back returning puts ? I guess they really want to go 2- 14 with this move

Posted by: joevick | November 4, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

The Skins have no chance of making the Playoffs. I was one of the fans who thought the Skins could go 10-6 or 11-5, based on the weakness of the early schedule. With the way they are playing, they will be lucky to win again this season. It might be the only way to get Vinney Fired! That would be a nice Xmas present.

Posted by: ccwbambam | November 4, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Hail Skins!

No matter the consequences -- stay true to yourself.

Skins Fan For Life!

Now let's turn this sinking ship around!

Posted by: AllThatSkins | November 4, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

We instead have a chart showing players who they should blame for the season...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Good one.

So, okay who do we got so far?:

Sellers: The Media

Portis: Everyone on the team, but probably notably the offensive line

Campbell: The home fans

Kelly/Thomas: The offensive line

Haynesworth: Everyone

Cerrato: Jim Zorn

Jim Zorn: Vinny Cerrato

Moss: The fans

Cartwright: The fans

Rogers: Vinny Cerrato

Hall: Offensive line, but mainly the whole team.

Blache: The media

Snyder: The media & Jim Zorn

Anyone else?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I counted you out of the playoffs after the Detroit loss. With a start like that, the off season is the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Posted by: mburns134 | November 4, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Red,

You forgot that Kanye West blames Taylor Swift!

Posted by: AllThatSkins | November 4, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson: Twitter

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 4, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Blow up the entire team and start over from scratch.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 4, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Until they hire a real GM, nothing matters. You let Danny & a lapdog rebuild the team, in 5 years you'll be right back where we are now.

Posted by: smutsboy | November 4, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

the second seven days of the "bye week" fortnight > the first seven days of the "bye week" fortnight

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 4, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

these guys really need to just shut up and go play football...way too much talk talk talk

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 4, 2009 4:02 PM

You know, that works in New England, but lots of people (other than Pats fans) hate Belichek because of it. Media there is used to it there -- here, the conniption would be nuclear.

Also, Kraft would stand by a hated coach. If Skins fans didn't want a coaching candidate (Fassel), The Owner wouldn't hire him ... and instead, just hire his offensive coordinator choice ... and if the fans got upset about OC would gets elevated to HC (fans whose primary concern is about stats, not wins, because winning by one point is only a win, will boo a small win), then The Owner would switch out the play caller.

Gloves off ... I'm aiming to be the new most hated poster ... The Truth and periculum will have NOTHING on me!

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

fred davis: the alarm clock
Cerrato: Leigh Torrence

Posted by: connskins | November 4, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Rod Gardner - Marty Shottenheimer

Steve Davis - Spurrier

Danny Weurfell - U-Florida

Anthony Aldridge - JZorn

its kinda fun...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

No. Kanye "A-hole" West blamed it on his mama and the a-a-a-a-a alcohol.

Forgot about Robert Henson. When is that Class A jag-off going to see the field anyway. Instead of tweting he should have had his head buried in a playbook or in the gym.

It's been F Robert Henson.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

I'm seeing the steam :)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 4, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Daniel Snyder: Thetans

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Everyone hates you and I'mma let you finish, but BOOFER is the most hated mofo of all time!

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Lavy Coles - Snyder

Gibbs - Himself

Snyder - John Kent Cooke, Norv Turner, Terry Robiske, Marty, Mike Nolan, Steve Spurrier, Lavar Arrington...

Brunell - Fans

Lloyd - Al Saunders & Jason Campbell

Archuleta - Gregg Williams

Gregg Williams - Lavar Arrington

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

I took a big hit last week with 3 of my regular starts sitting out for the bye week.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

David Donovan: Signs, tee shirts and the barrage of negative coverage by the Washington Post.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 4, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Everyone hates you ..

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 4, 2009 4:26 PM

SILLY SKINNY FANNIE ETRODY, GETCHER BOO HOO BOXES READY BECAUSE ROMO GOING TO MAKE YOUR LETICIA TYLER EYES BLEED!

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

dcsween: Faux rage at Everybody

4thFloor: The Media

RedDMV: V-Pizzle Wolgenheimer

Nate: WR-TE-WR

Zeke: Fantasy Football

Beantown: Antonio Pierce

Posted by: 4-12 | November 4, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs - Himself

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 4:27 PM

Post of the day ... er, wait ... POST OF THE SKINNY BOO HOO BOX DAY!

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I've created a caps-lock monster.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 4, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

4-12, nice....

redDMV - the truth, cuz the truth schooled red every chance he got....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Everyone hates you and I'mma O_E everyone been doing the KW bit for months now, and I am gonna let you finish yours in a minute but Kanye had the most Kanye West bit of all time!let you finish, but BOOFER is the most hated mofo of all time!

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

dcsween: Faux rage at Everybody

Posted by: 4-12 | November 4, 2009 4:31 PM

Am I that transparent? Actually, I only really have actual rage at The Owner, but that's a broken record. [Also, not quite rage, but I am a little peeved Against the Machine.]

Posted by: dcsween | November 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Pete Kendall: Scrapple

Posted by: connskins | November 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

FF Update

Apparently it was getting too lonely at the top, so both the Peeps and Hamsters leaders lost in a weekend impacted by byes, or is it buh byes? Or buy buys? Or ...

Life in the Peeps league was filled with thrills and spills and twists and turns.

Redcoat's mighty Fins (6-2) remain the leader, despite an upset at the hands of Skulls (3-5). Skulls 101-88 victory was keyed by MJD's 34.

The Buffaloes (6-2) grabbed a share of the league's lead as they topped Tampa (4-4) by a final of 95-58. Injuries and the bye week curtailed Tampa prolific offense, while Favre and LT led the Buffs.

Monday Night's game decided the winner in 4 different games.

The Jackalopes (6-2) led 4-12 (3-5) by 12 points going into Monday night's game and kept that margin, winning 70-58. Under the heading of how FF 'keeps a person humble', 4-12 had his two highest scorers for the week on his bench.

In a game that featured the two highest scoring teams of the week, my Futaleufu team (5-3) led Omaha (2-6) by 64 points heading into Monday night. Omaha then deployed 4 players that averaged 12.5 ppg or more. It became a nail biter, not decided until 3 seconds remained, with the Futa hanging on, 118-112.

The East Coast Shaft (3-5) led Alex's Zombie Hord (4-4) by 27 into the Monday game. The Shaft played 2 guys, but Alex had Drew Brees on his side. Brees played well, but not wasn't nearly enough and Shaft won 74-53.

The safest lead into Monday night was Nate's (3-5) massive 51 point lead over Future Winners (3-5) and Nate won, 92-54. Da Bears d and Reggie Wayne combined for 51 points for Nate.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 4, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I am confidant that my Zombies will be back.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I see what you're doing there, sween, but it ain't gonna work. Plus, as etrod pointed out, I think it's a tall order to even identify a most hated posted of all time.

periculum is sort of a meta-troll... the whiz-bang text formatting that has become his trademark helps me tremendously.

It seemed to me that when The Truth first appeared up here he was having trouble getting his meds and dosages sorted out... and he was engaged in a social media promotional campaign on behalf of the Georgia Bulldogs, which probably felt heroic to him. Eventually both those things settled down.

BOOFER was a fake, I thought then and still believe. Someone just trying to rile us up. Which worked a surprising amount of the time. I think the joke got old for whichever merry prankster was responsible, though not before it got old for most of us.

I have previously noted my own issues with Barno, who would be near the top of my list.

But I'd have to say my all-time most hated commenter up here was

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 4, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Blow up the team? Seriously? That's exactly what Snyder would do. That's exactly what Snyder has done. EIGHT TIMES. It worked beautifully, too, didn't it?. Brilliant analysis, genius.

Also, I love the latent racism in a lot of this JC hating. Wonderful. Warms my heart. Mouth breather? Short bus? Very classy.

Sorry to say it, but Skins fans are becoming more and more indistinguishable from scumbag Philly fans every day. It's sad to watch.

Posted by: natemcfarlane | November 4, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse