Healthy Again, Doughty Delivers

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache last week demoted strong safety Chris Horton to the second team in favor of Reed Doughty, and Doughty delivered during a 16-13 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at FedEx Field.

In his first start of the season, Doughty was credited with a team-high nine tackles, including eight unassisted. He also was credited with two tackles on special teams. Doughty, who sat out most of last season because of back problems, has been among the team's most consistent players on defense, so Blache rewarded him.

"I think it's a combination of being healthy and being comfortable in not only the defense, but my confidence in my own ability," Doughty said. "I think that is the biggest thing for me. The health concerns are over for me.

"I feel like this was a breakout year for me just coming in because I knew I was going to be completely healthy. I was running better than I have ever run, lifting and doing stuff that I didn't even do last year."

The Redskins gave up only 229 net yards to the Buccaneers while playing more disciplined than they did during a 19-14 loss to the Detroit Lions in Week 3. "We are not giving up a ton of points, so that's a good thing," Doughty said. "We are stopping people most often in the red zone. We gave up a touchdown [against Tampa Bay] off not the greatest field position.

"I feel like we are coming together as a defense. But we do need to get some assignments and communication down. On some of those big runs [this season], it wasn't people getting knocked around. It was just some misalignments or missed assignments and that was everybody. I think as we communicate, as we mold, and everybody gets more comfortable we will improve there."

Steinberg Does the Math

Dan Steinberg crunches some numbers: on the Redskins and the 30-point barrier and Campbell's confidence in flinging the ball.

By Jason Reid  |  October 5, 2009; 3:03 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell and Moss Click for Long TDs
Next: Ex-Titans RB to Try Out with Redskins

Comments

"The game need change..."

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I think that may be a courtest visit from Sherman for Chris Henry...we're a little crowded in the backfield. But then again....

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Anybody on here a College Football guru? Who are the O linemen that are highly regarded that we may land this year? Any sleeper running backs? I hope we do not draft a QB, cause that means neglecting the O line and that is what we need to build.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 5, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see an offensive takle taken with the first round pick. We not only need a replacement for Stephon Heyer but we need to start grooming Chris Samuels replacement. There are a lot of first round tackles, second round running backs, and hardly any upper round guards/centers. The guys that may go in the first round of the draft are as follows.

Russel Okung RT- Oklahoma state
Brian Bulaga LT- Iowa
Ciron Black LT - LSU
Trent Williams - Oklahoma
Charles Brown LT - USC
Anthony Davis LT - Rutgers
Sam Young - Notre Dame

There's plenty of talent there and this is one of the deepest years I've seen for offensive tackles.

In the second I hope we take a RB. There are a lot of RBs available next year. I assume Dwyer and Spiller will go in the first. These guys may still be available in the second round.

Javhied Best
Evan Royster
Stafon Johnson
LeGarrett Blount
Jonathan Dwyer
Chris Brown
Noel Devine

We used our third rounder on Jarmon.

I want to see a guard or center taken in the 4th. The only guard I could see us taking in the first 2 rounds is that guy from Alabama Mike Johnson.

Sergio Render G - VaTech should be gone by the 4th
Jon Jerry G - Ole Miss should be gone by the 4th
Eric Olsen G - Notre Dame may fall to the 4th
Joe Thomas G - Pitt may fall to the 4th

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Repost!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

elfreako, since we know it's virtually impossible to get one of your listed return TDs every game, how many should we expect per season - one or two? What would that push the ppg up to 17 or so?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 5, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Reed did have a monster game. The dude takes the "its starts with me" thing to heart. Nice start Reedy D!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

dam..if it takes an all-pro WR like Moss and JC 5 years to get it together.. How long will it take for the WRs from Vinny's first Draft class of 2008, Thomas and Kelly?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

zj, good catch, how big is that cat??

so moss and jc have been working together for 5 years, and they still can't get it right on the deep pass..........how delusional do you have to be to think that this is going to change?? I mean, pass that stuff on down, cuz, I'm not there yet.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 3:10 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 5, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I had no issues with Sonny questioning Zorn.

Not sure there were many out there that werent thinking the same thing.

Good to hear Doughty is getting comfortable back there. he will be great long term player back there. Hopefully he can have some impact on Landry. He still seems to be a bit raw out there.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 5, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Learned - good question - BUT - one thing that the Redskins have not down over the past three years is create turnovers - Campbell helps in this regard becuause he keeps the ratio of Skins to opponents turn overs down, but over the last 3 years, there have been very few turnovers gained by the defense.

I beleive that this is 3/4 a matter of luck, but it does make a bit of a difference in the final score.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

So does this mean you think we stick with Campbell? If not I think we use our 1st rounder on a QB and 2nd + 4th on O-line.

I just don't think we will have enough picks to draft an RB that early and still address our line.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Guys - bottom line is we are not a very good team. Campbell is one of our best players. He cannot turn this team into a juggernaut. Neither could Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. This team needs rebuilding from the inside out.

I think they should extend Campbell just because he is an adequate QB and we need to spend every high draft pick this April on offensive linemen. Don't wast a first rounder on a QB and put him behind this pathetic O-line. No point.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The "other" Chris Henry will make the rounds
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 5, 2009 2:55 PM ET
Former Titans running back Chris Henry, a second-round pick in 2007, may not be unemployed for long after getting dumped last week.

The Nashville Tennessean reports that Henry will visit with the Redskins Monday night and Tuesday. If he doesn't sign there, he's headed to Houston to get a look see by the Texans.

Henry's old position coach Sherman Smith is the offensive coordinator in Washington. Both the Redskins and Texans lack quality depth at running back, but Henry hasn't shown much in his NFL career to indicate he'd be of much help.

Bean, Henry is 5'11", 230, 2nd round pick out of Arizona and here's what was said by Scouts Inc. when they made the pick:

50. Tennessee Titans
The pick: Chris Henry, RB, Arizona
Scouts take: With LenDale White having problems keeping his weight down and former Titan Travis Henry now wit Denver, the Titans needed a running back and Chris Henry has great upside. He possesses a rare bend of size and speed. With that said, Tennessee has yet to pick up a cornerback or a receiver and they are hurting at both positions. In addition, Henry's lack of experience at the collegiate level should raise some red flags and Michael Bush is still on the board.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks PAskinsfan17, that was very informative. I really hope we address the o line and RB in the 2010 draft.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 5, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Matty how about putting JC up against his own draft class??

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, just say no to Henry....wow would that be a dumb move.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

It would be great to get someone like Henry even if it means that Mason has to go.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | October 5, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, just say no to Henry....wow would that be a dumb move.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

really? you prefer Betts, Cartwright, or Mason? I don't know much about him but a combo of size and elite speed sounds pretty great to me, and who knows if the guy is a player or not, when you're behind Chris Johnson and Lendale White you may still be pretty good.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Should've taken Bush.

Posted by: TWISI | October 5, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

zj, thanks, can he return kicks?

If he impresses on his visit, and gets signed who goes?? I say dump Rock...but thats me...

I like that reed gets his man on the ground...his tackling technique is great....wrap the man up, put him on his back...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Sonny wanted to bench Soupy in the first quarter. But what does a HOF QB know about QBing....

Posted by: Realness1

the backers don't care what a hall of famer has to say unless it fits neatly into their agenda.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 5, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Evan Royster
Stafon Johnson
LeGarrett Blount
Jonathan Dwyer
Chris Brown
Noel Devine

We used our third rounder on Jarmon.

Sergio Render G - VaTech should be gone by the 4th
Jon Jerry G - Ole Miss should be gone by the 4th
Eric Olsen G - Notre Dame may fall to the 4th
Joe Thomas G - Pitt may fall to the 4th

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Repost!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse
------------------

Excellent post, PA. Keep in mind something: if Campbell is benched anytime soon, we'll have to draft a QB for certain next year, and that will likely be a higher round pick.

Hopefully he gets to play and plays well enough to justify an extension to stay here. Like yourself, I'd much rather go out and draft an O-line than waste any pick on yet another skill position player, even QB.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey JReid, if you read these banterings of the unimpowered many...
Your thoughts on what signals are being sent from Redskins Park if the Skins make no upgrades between now and the Oct 14th NFL trade deadline??
If Skins stay the course and do not make a move, even though glaring needs are evident for the injured OLine, it has to indicate that Snyder is hunkered down with his Draft picks intact (except the 3rd used on Jarmon), waiting for an uncapped 2010...and a fresh start with a new Head Coach.
Otherwise, why wouldnt there be some wheeling and dealing to right this ship that is already sharing last place in the East?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 5, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Positives I saw from the game:

(trying on the brights side)

- Reed
- Orakpo is improving fast I think
- Jarmon is making great strides, I saw his number all over the field
- Portis. I know I will get slammed...but I saw the dude running hard on bad wheels. Dude left it out on the field AND his almost 100 yards helped to get JC the looks in the 3rd to score
- Cooley/Moss...I agree we need other options, but these dudes still make clutch plays and provide us our only legit talent on O
- Big Ups to Swiss-Ham for coming in and punting.
- I think Rocky Mac has been really solid this season.
- The Skins have hot cheerleaders.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

With the amount of time it will take to get the core players through the draft and develop them...I think JC17 would be a good fit through that time.

The only issue is, if they are going to fire Zorn, then JC17 should go too. No sense in changing schemes again and him starting over.

Keep them both, or get rid of them both.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 5, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

well, faced with the same situation, three years ago, the Texans didn't draft a new QB, they traded for Matt Schaub, and it appears they got pretty much what they had hoped for, except Schaub's tendency to be injured.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 5, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, just say no to Henry....wow would that be a dumb move.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

All I know about Chris Henry comes from his wikipedia page, so I know almost nothing. But, why are you so against?

It looks like he has good speed, size, and strength. He just hasn't gotten the opportunity.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The thing is that drafting a top tier QB also means paying top tier salary. We aren't that far from the cap. I'd hate to lose the good players we already have just to shove a top tier QB behind that shakey offensive line. We desperately need a top tier tackle. I would not budge on that. First round has to be a tackle and the draft is deep for first round takles. We should get a lot of bang for our buck. The issue is that if we don't take a Tackle in the first then we are settling for a project or a guy that may not be NFL ready. We need an elite tackle that can step in on day 1. As for the rest of the line. There is 1 guard and 1 center projected to go in the first. The guard from alabama may go in the first and so should the center from USC. The rest of the guards and centers are slated for rounds 3-4. We might as well wait until round 4 instead of reaching with a 2nd round pick. That leaves the issue in the air of what to do with the second round pick. A coule of options range from:

Take a project QB or possible sleeper like Pat Devlin from Delaware.

Take an awesome running back to replace Clinton Portis and give us that homerun threat.

Take a middle linebacker to replace London Fletcher when he leaves

Take a Strong side linebacker and move Orakpo back to DE

Take the awesome player that totally should have went in the first round but fell to the second regardless of position unless he's a tight end.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

cl, its not the CHenry who had trouble with the law....its a different cat...fyi...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I also thought Portis had his best game of the year.

Nothing to do with stats, just running hard and trying to make things happen. Its only a matter of time. before he has a breakout game.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 5, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I just think the last thing we need to do is sign another back at this point to be inactive...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

cL, Rocky Mac has always been solid ... the problem is his long term health prospects (the knees bizness).

Also, Tryon had a nice outing.

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

'10 draft:

T - 1st
G/C - 2nd
MLB - 4th
SLB - 5th

I think the 'skins have tradable assets to get the third rounder back.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17

I thought thats what Aldridge was supposed to be?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------

Depends on how they finish this year, but if Zorn is fired, then I would cut Campbell and Collins loose as well.

Draft a QB, keep Colt Brennan, and sign Kellen Clemens.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 5, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

If we could somehow merge the best traits of Carlos and DeAngelo we'd have one hell of a cornerback, wouldn't we?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 5, 2009 2:45 PM

The first is way reliable, but couldn't pick his nose if it was in the middle of his face. That latter could pick an elephant's nose, but screws up way too much to be a #1 CB.

This former Titan Chris Henry, can he punt?

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Nice to hear Doughty is excelling, but let's get real: The defense will be best if LaRon Landry returns to the strong safety position and we get a new free safety.

LaRon is very good at FS. But if you returned him to strong safety, the position he was drafted to play before the Sean Taylor tragedy, you could be looking at a perennial candidate for defensive player of the year.

Posted by: drischord | October 5, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Kellen Clemens? No thanks...

i know which Chris Henry...if they do it fine...I just don't think RB is the/an issue. Who is getting substantial yards behind this line?

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Someone just mentioned it, but yes, I think the skins have possibly the hottest cheerleaders in the league. Coming back from commercial was very nice yesterday.

I was actually overall rather happy with the officiating and announcers yesterday. I only watched the first few drives of the Steelers/Chargers game last night, but on the Steelers 1st drive, that one long catch Rothl threw under heavy pressure, down the sideline to I can’t remember the guy’s name, but he obviously only got one foot down….the announcers never said a word, even during like 3 replays….the one defender walked over to the ref and was showing him that only one foot got in but the ref blew him off. I rewound the play like 4 times and the dude did NOT make the catch. Stuff like that makes me mad…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 5, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I think the 'skins have tradable assets to get the third rounder back.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

who u trading to get that 3rd round pick?

Betts?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drischord | October 5, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying this forever. Landry needs to play SS (see Polamalu, Troy). He's at free safety because our defense requires a freakish athlete at that position, but he is much better at the line of scrimmage. They blitzed him twice yesterday, and both plays went for losses.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Some negatives I saw during the game :

- No more 1 dollar PBR's at my local sports bar.

- JC hit the referee in the head.

- All the Bears fans at the bar gave me sympathy cheers throughout the game, and busted into a half-hearted mocking "Let's Go Redskins" cheer at the end.

- A Detroit Lions fan gave me a sympathy high-five after we won. At least she was hot though.

- Portis is old and fat, but his Pockets Straight.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 5, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry dlhaze but i know the play....he caught it. Would've been reviewed if he didn't...it was pretty clear cut.

And my opinion goes that Zorn and Campbell are attached...I agree with other posters, as much as I think Campbell is fine to stay...he can't go through another coaching change.

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 5, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. It is probably the only well-run aspect of the organization. Edges out the litigation department.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

PA, Devlin’s only a Junior and hasn’t exactly lit it up yet. But give him another year under Keeler and we’ll talk…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 5, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

If this season continues along it current path, we'll have a new head coach and (oh please, oh pleeeeeeze) a new GM in January. Let them make the decision as to whether Campbell is offered a new contract. I suspect that he won't be, if, again, things continue as they are going.

Posted by: rbpalmer | October 5, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Don't even debate where La(u)ndry is better at. Dude is a bust.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I think the 'skins have tradable assets to get the third rounder back.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

who u trading to get that 3rd round pick?

Betts?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Haha, Betts could fetch a first rounder. Possibly Doughty/Horton? I can't think of where else we have an abundance of talent.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@ Truth
"JC hit the referee in the head."

It didn't get intercepted...how could this be a negative?

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The Santana quote that doesn't get put up here:

"Exactly, you can't take the checkdowns," Moss agreed. "I mean, that's not gonna get us wins. And he threw three picks and we got a win. So I'm not sure if that's something that he's gonna be good [with] and be able to sleep with, but I think I sleep well with just knowing that he took a chance he gave us the opportunity to make a play. Whether we was there or not to make it, we all get a chance to see it and correct ourselves, but all we need is opportunities."

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

It was NOT a catch, but Norv was asleep at the switch. He clearly lifted one of his feet before the ball got there and it came back down out-of-bounds.

Not that it mattered. Chargers got stomped.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Matty how about putting JC up against his own draft class??

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Sure Bench,

Records as a starter:

JC17: 18-22
Alex Smith: 11-19
Aaron Rodgers: 8-11
Kyle Orton: 25-12
Matt Cassel: 11-8

Stats:

JC17 -- 8,205 yds passing 40 TD's 28 INT's 80.9 rating

Orton -- 6,225 yds, 35 TD's 27 INT's 74.1
rating

Rodgers -- 5,081 yds, 33 TD's 14 INT's 92.5 rating

Cassel -- 4,404 yds, 28 TD's 15 INT's 87.4 rating

Analysis: Rodgers is a very good QB who had an excellent first year last year, whose team sucked until they revamped their defense in the offseason. Matt Cassel had Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Belichick on his side while going 11-5 last year -- once traded to the putrid Chiefs, he is 0-3. Kyle Orton is a solid QB, and JC has better numbers, but not the win / loss record.
Alex Smith was a bust.

Like I have been saying -- you need stuff around the QB to be successful. Campbell isn't great, but he isn't the worst QB in the league -- he's above average. He doesn't have much around him. Stop blaming everything on JC17...

Posted by: mattylight | October 5, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@ Truth
"JC hit the referee in the head."

It didn't get intercepted ... how could this be a negative?

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 3:43 PM

... plus, the ref's head was wide open ...

Posted by: dcsween | October 5, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Don't even debate where La(u)ndry is better at. Dude is a bust.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

He's a pro-bowl level strong safety. He's been playing out of position since the Taylor murder. It is a crime to play him 30 yards off of the ball.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 5, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 5, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

-----

Yea, couldn't believe Norv didn't throw out the red flag and EVERYONE missed it....ref, coaches, announcers! Cost them 7 points!

Posted by: filmchis | October 5, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: svxcountry1 | October 5, 2009 3:41 PM

I watched it like 4 times…..not a catch IMO. And it would have had to be challenged, not automatically reviewed…..if it had been in the final two minutes it would have been reviewed. It went the Steelers way so the replay prolly didn’t end up on their jumbo tron……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 5, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Honk Honk

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 5, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I was watching the SNF game with one eye (the other eye, hands and feet cleaning the kitchen....)but I was also like...am I kooky or did he only have one foot in?

Oh by the way NBC streaming the sunday night game RULZ! different angels, HD...and no fighting wife for TV! Thank you NBC!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

anyone see Brandon Marshall's catch vs the Boys?? amazing..

Wonder how Snyder feels watching the QB that squirreled his JC trade/deal, Kyle Orton, going 4-0 W-L?

Or, watching an impact all-star WR like Brandon Marshall selected by Denver in 2006 Draft with the 4th round pick from the Redskin's three pick package they gave Denver to move up and pick Campbell in 05 (1st,3rd, and 4th).....arrrgh..
sadly "ironical"...
Or, as the prophet Curly, would say, if at first you dont succeed.. you keep on suk'ing until you do succeed..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | October 5, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Truth

Landry isnt a bust. He is going through the phase that ST21 went through when he was trying to kill everyone and not play his position.

drischord

I think only Eric Berry or Taylor Mays can help us out. Those guys are both first rounders I think someone will kill Cerrato if they go defense in the first round again. Especially with our situation at o-line

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | October 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Haha, yea I was joking. I forgot that Betts is worth a mid 1st round or early 2nd round pick around here.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Landry isnt a bust."

Yes he is.

When you draft a guy as high as the Skins did him, and NOT take an OL like they should have, and he performs the way he is then he's a bust.

You NEVER take a saftey that high...EVER!

Landry is a bust, plain and simple.
I'd rather see Horton and Doughty on the field and let Landry sit.

Every time I see that guy miss a tackle I just want to scream.

Landry = BUST!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 5, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drischord

Disagree. Through adept drafting and personnel evaluation, the 'skins have four good safeties, all STRONG safeties. Since he's the only one who plays FS effectively, LaRon gets to do that.

Switching him with Reed, Chris or Kareem just weakens the defense.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Trade Campbell for a third round pick or higher and use the draft pick for an O lineman. Draft a quarterback in the first round. Winning starts with the right quarterback. Where would be now with an Eli Manning type quarterback. Use the rest of your draft picks on the O Line.

Posted by: kenobill | October 5, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Absolute best post of the day - dcsween,
"the referee's head was wide open" Hilarious!!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 5, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, just say no to Henry....wow would that be a dumb move.

Posted by: chrislarry

==========================
Give one good reason they should wreck the current RB roster for Henry?

His best year in college he ran for less than 600 yards on 170 carries. that's less than 3.5 yards per carry. With the Titans he avg 3.8 yards per carry and was down to 4th string before they cut him.

Betts is 4.1 lifetime with way more carries. Why would you give up yardage for a dude that was suspended for drug use on top of his sorry average?

Aldridge is faster than Henry, started in college for more than 1 season, and averaged 6.1 yards per carry.

Pass on Henry.