Here's What I Think ... in Jacksonville

Hey, everybody. I just landed in Jacksonville for tonight's final preseason game, and planned to write closer to kickoff, but there's a few things I feel compelled to address. So, here's an impromptu mini edition of "Here's what I think." Let's do it.

Here's what happened: Apparently, there's a lot of buzz out there about the possibility of defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery being one of the surprising cuts Saturday as the team sets its 53-man roster.

Here's what I think: From what I gather, the thought goes that Montgomery is unhappy about the probability of having a reduced role and is expendable because of the supposed depth along the defensive line.

I spoke with a few people in the organization today about Montgomery, and he's definitely not pleased about things at the moment. With the arrival of Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, Montgomery, who played a lot last season, might not be active often as the fourth DT on the roster, which would be disappointing to anyone. Also, Montgomery has a only one-year contract, which also hasn't brightened his mood. He needs to play to showcase himself to other teams, and that could be tough to do being so low on the depth chart.

Of course, Haynesworth (he did not accompany the team on the trip after experiencing stomach problems this week) hasn't played a full 16-game schedule since he was a rookie, received a knee injection during the preseason and is not expected to play 70 percent of the snaps (it's quality with Big Al, not quantity). Cornelius Griffin, who turns 33 in December, sat out two games last season because of a shoulder injury and an abdominal strain and also has battled hip injuries.

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache likes to have depth, and he knows he can't ride Haynesworth and Griffin every down. Kedric Golston is ahead of Montgomery in the rotation, and versatile tackle-end Lorenzo Alexander has earned a much bigger role on the strength of his outstanding camp and preseason. Surprising stuff sometimes happens with the final cuts, but based on conversations with guys in the organization, I expect Montgomery to remain with the team. They could really need him late in the season.

Here's what happened: Running back Anthony Alridge emerges as a hot pick to make the final 53-man roster.

Here's what I think: The Redskins want a speedy change-of-pace back, and Alridge definitely can fly. He has been clocked as fast as 4.36 in the 40-yard dash, and he showed a great burst in the last game against New England. Vinny Cerrato has raved about Alridge, many in the organization have told me, because of the added dimension his speed would bring to the offense on screen passes and other quick-hitting plays.

But how would the Redskins get Alridge on the field? Coach Jim Zorn and offensive coordinator Sherman Smith are committed to Ladell Betts as the third-down back. I've heard Clinton Portis isn't exactly delighted about that move, and I just don't think he would be content if Alridge -- or anyone -- cut into his time on the first two downs. If Alridge makes the team, Cerrato would have had a big hand in making it happen.

Here's what happened: Based on his strong performance, Malcolm Kelly distanced himself from fellow second-year receiver Devin Thomas.

Here's what I think: Kelly should be the starting flanker opposite split end Santana Moss when the Redskins open the season against the New York Giants on Sept. 13 at Giants Stadium. I know, I know. Someone who refers to himself as The Mayor said Thomas was the guy at the outset of camp. And he was. Even Zorn acknowledged Thomas held a slight edge over Kelly, who was trying to regain the form he had as a junior at Oklahoma after his rookie season was ruined because of a knee problem. As Kelly continued to get back in gear after having microfracture knee surgery in the offseason, Thomas was running with the first-team.

But then Thomas seemed to disappear mentally for a couple of weeks during the preseason, several people in the organization told me. The lack of maturity that contributed to his unproductive rookie season resurfaced, prompting some to wonder whether he will ever "get it." Meantime, Kelly displayed the big-time receiving skills and athleticism that excites Zorn.

Several people reached out to Thomas in an attempt to get his head back into the game, and he responded with a nice performance against New England. But it should be too little too late because of how Kelly has brought it every second he has been on the field. Kelly is the Redskins' new No. 2 receiver. That's clear.

Here's what happened: The New York Jets reportedly cool on trading for disgruntled/suspended Denver Broncos star receiver Brandon Marshall.

Here's what I think: I'm sure a lot of you are wondering whether this opens the door for the Redskins to pursue a deal for Marshall. I wrote recently I didn't see that happening, and I still don't see it happening after checking with a few people today. The Redskins have a lot invested in Kelly and Devin Thomas, and bringing in Marshall, obviously, would impede their growth at a key point for them. A

lso, from talking with players, Marshall would bring a lot of off-field baggage. I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Well, didn't DeAngelo Hall supposedly have a lot of baggage?" Yes, but not anywhere to the degree of Marshall's situation.

And the Redskins wanted to move on without Shawn Springs, so corner was an area of need. Wide receiver is not an area of need now, or it better not be for Cerrato's sake. The Redskins used two of their first three picks in the 2008 draft on Thomas and Kelly and have nurtured them, especially Kelly because of his knee situation. It wouldn't surprise me if Snyder and Cerrato traded for any big-name player, but since Joe Gibbs returned to coaching, they've been reluctant to bring in guys with really, really bad reps. Fairly or not, Marshall has a really, really, really bad rep.

Here's what happened: Several players have raved to me about rookie linebacker Darrel Young.

Here's what I think: Young was my sleeper pick to make the roster, but it probably won't happen even if Blache and special teams coach Danny Smith fight hard for the kid, which could happen. I've been told Young has a future in this league, and he could really benefit/grow learning from men of high character such as middle linebacker London Fletcher and Smith. If Young gets cut, it sounds like he could land on his feet.

By Jason Reid  |  September 3, 2009; 2:52 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Looks to Get Mike Williams 'Revved Up'
Next: Portis, Rogers, Fletcher Also Out (Updated)

Comments

heres what I think.

BOOSH

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Foist

Posted by: dfresh58 | September 3, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I think I have ADD, because I am relunctant to read a blog post longer than 3/4 paragraphs!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Beantown, what's up with Beckett? He's going to get whiplash turning if he keeps turning his head to see those balls fly out of the park.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 3, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Keep Montgomery. We need the depth, and he will come back around.

In the mean time, why doesn't somebody put a foot in his arz and encourage him to snap out of it. Griff is almost done and Haynesworth doesn't play 16, so there's gonna be plenty of work coming up.

Posted by: edvar | September 3, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

etrod's predictions:

10 wins (9-7 + Wild card road win)
Campbell - 3500 yds 19 TDs 11 picks.
Portis - 1100 yds, 10TDs
+5 turnover ratio.
Orakpo > 8 sacks
Big Al plays 12 games and lives up to hype.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 3, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Agree for the most part with your predictions.

Only one I hope your wrong on is Portis' yards. I'm thinking he can get 1300+ this year. I don't think he's any worse than last year and the teams we play out of conference have much worse run defenses.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

lh, beckett has all the talent in the world, but man oh man is he in a bad stretch right now, his first 3 innings last night were just gross, but then the last 2 he settled it down. I don't know what to think, I mean, he's able to paint corners, cheese is in the 96 range, its a mystery......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

edvar, thats a great point, Griff is probably better used in a reserve role, and either KG, or AM should slide into the starters position. Its basically his for the taking next year. If you could take the heart/mind/hustle out of Lo-Alex, and put it into the body of AM, you'd have a player

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey JReid..
The Skins will never acquire Brandon Marshall because of Vinny and Danny's egos.
Denver selected Marshall with one of the Picks they received from the REdskins to allow Snyder to move up in the Draft to select Jason Campbell in 05.
Too much media fodder for this irony if the Skins pay a huge price to acquire Brandon.
Aint gonna happen..

+++++++

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 3, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Not completely. For whatever reason, the ‘skins have improved on offense with four, perhaps five good players in the OLine.

Derrick Dockery is an upgrade over Kendall in size and age.

Jeremy Bridges is a big, young versatile backup.

Rinehart, a write off last year, has taken a big step forward.

Will Montgomery has been a very pleasant surprise.

The jury is still out on Big Mike Williams.
Posted by: TheCork

3. Rinehart takes a step forward. The guy never got to wear a uni in the 2008 reg season. The only step back he coulda taken is to be out of the league. Step forward doesn't mean he is an NFL player. The good news is they figured out Chad is a G, not a T.

4. Haven't seen enough of Will and I'm not sure how to interpret the phrase 'pleasant surprise' in a football context

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

The "Old Smart" money is on Rock making the team. Crazy new entrepreneurial money sees the brilliance of keeping Portis, Betts and Aldridge.

Ask yourself: "If CP and Betts go down, do you wanna ride Rock in the backfield?". Me neither.

Yeah it creates problems for D Smith on Teams. SOLVABLE problems.

Or this: Admit that Rock is NOT an RB, he is a S Teamer, period. Keep Rock and cut somebody else you think can't cover punts and kickoffs as well as him.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I like Eck.. but, havent been able to eat cheese since he sub'd for the Remdog..

Sox will surprise.. Billy Wagner is the sleeper... And Beck will right his ship..

++++++++++++++++

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 3, 2009 3:00 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 3, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I've always been Beckett fan and it has been painful to see/hear about his struggles. His last few outings, especially the Yanks game, haven't been pretty.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 3, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Both of these fall into the category of "90% of success is showing up". Fortunately, when Dock became available, Vinny was doing a radio show or something like that.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 2:44 PM

Yeah, but Jason Taylor falls into the category of "90% of failure is showing up."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

eck is great, you have to wonder what that cat was like back in the day, I mean, no matter what you put in front of him, he must have either snorted, smoke, or drank it.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Here's what happened: Anthony Montgomery may not be on the 53 man roster.
Here's what I think: Dan hired a few kids to wander around the park and rob little old ladies during fan appreciation day. Monty found out and got mad and beat up one of the kids. Then Danny wanted to fire him but he was settled down by a gentle spooning with Vinny. He will stay
Here's what I think: Double-A is fast, really fast, lightning fast, and during practice danny gets thirsty and needs a cold one. So he is on the team. So buy your Double-A Jersey now!
Here's what I think: Mal Kel jersey sales are up, way up, Danny has made more money from selling 12 jerseys then from robbing little old ladies who cant pay for their tickets.
Here's what happened: Receiver Brandon Marshall is still out there.
Here's what I think: Sadly Danny's been trying to get on the phone all day trying to work out a deal with the Broncos and the jersey makers to make something happen, but sadly he cannot find his cell phone.
Here's what I think: The problem with Young is he wont be a starter right away so we don't pay any attention to him, besides who is gonna buy a jersey for player who was not drafted in the first round or a high price free agent.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

TE...still think the J Taylor signing was the right move AT THE TIME IT OCCURRED.

Stars aligned against that from the get go. Injured, almost had his leg amputated, etc etc. Caca occurs...and sometimes its just $h!tty.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Eck says he is a recovering alcoholic.. He must of been a huge party animal in the 70s and 80s.. He works out at my Health club.. in the north shore.. Definitely helps to retain the women's club memberships ..

++++++++

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 3:13 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 3, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Albert on the field for 70% of the snaps? Please. In the best of games, he'll get 2/3. My hope is he gets 60% of the snaps, realistically it'll likely be closer to 50% and lets hope it not 40%.

Typical game is 60+ snaps for the defense -- or about 1,000 per year. If Albert gets 40 snaps/game and plays in all 16 games -- that's great. If he gets 35 snaps/game and plays in 12 games ... tis a big difference.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Here's what happened:
I took a poop and it had corn in it.

Here's what I think:
There must have been some corn in last night's stew.

Posted by: isnadd | September 3, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Here's what happened:
I took a poop and it had corn in it.

Here's what I think:
There must have been some corn in last night's stew.

Posted by: isnadd | September 3, 2009 3:19 PM
+++++++++++++++
Did you see any Redskins Season Tickets in there, too??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 3, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Here's what happened:
I took a poop and it had corn in it.

Here's what I think:
There must have been some corn in last night's stew.

Posted by: isnadd | September 3, 2009 3:19 PM
+++++++++++++++
Did you see any Redskins Season Tickets in there, too??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 3, 2009 3:22 PM

+++++++++++++++++
If so, dont tell the Skins.. They'll sue you for them and for the upcoming 10 years that you havent used them..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 3, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

It was the right move ... if the Skins wanted 2008 to be a "go for it" year. Turns out, they didn't. They didn't get the 2nd WR they needed, even though some good players were dangling during the preseason. They kept all 10 draft picks!! Future is now, future is later? Confusing. On top of it, they moved Taylor to LDE -- despite the fact he was just one year removed from being voted the NFL's top defensive player at RDE.

The trade made sense ... every thing that followed that trade didn't.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I would take Danny any day of the week.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009

I'll take the Lerners who have 10 times more money and hire real professionals like Mike Rizzo.

And you, oh you prefer Vinny Cerrato? And GM Dan "Snidely Owl" Snyder?

Yeah right that's just "brill" dude!

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Re: Monty

Cerrato needs to think about this long and hard. We need to keep Monty. I think Griffin is in his last year and he will be 34 next year.

Keep Monty!

Also...We need to NOT have a CBA resolution next year because we can keep our disgruntled players 'restricted'....such as JC17, CR22, and Monty...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

psp's season predictions:

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Donald Brown
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Brian Orakpo
NFL MVP: Tom Brady
Sleeper pick for the NFL MVP: Aaron Rodgers
DPOY: Ed Reed
Receiving Title (yards): Calvin Johnson
Rushing Title (yards): Adrian Peterson

Divisional Winners: New England, Indianapolis, Baltimore, San Diego, Washington, Green Bay, New Orleans, San Francisco

Wild Cards: Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, New York Giants, Minnesota

Redskin Pro-Bowlers: Albert Haynesworth, Laron Landry, Chris Samuels, Chris Cooley, Santana Moss, Jason Campbell

Redskins All-Pros: Albert Haynesworth, Laron Landry

Redskins record: 11-5

Super Bowl: Indianapolis vs. Washington

Winner: Your Redskins

Book it.

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Here's what happened:
I took a poop and it had corn in it.

Here's what I think:
There must have been some corn in last night's stew.

Posted by: isnadd | September 3, 2009 3:19 PM
+++++++++++++++
Did you see any Redskins Season Tickets in there, too??

Sounds another sage analysis from the beantown boy.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 3, 2009

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Redskins record: 11-5

@psps23, give us all some of whatever you been smokin'.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

psps23..did you hear a knock at your door..?? Its the DEA.
+++++++++

Redskins record: 11-5

Super Bowl: Indianapolis vs. Washington

Winner: Your Redskins

Book it.

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 3:28 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 3, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Cut or trade Betts!! Portis, Mason, and Aldridge should be the Skins running backs. Rock is a S-teamer period and not a running back. If there is no room for that type of player then he needs to go too. We have lost enough with these guys. Lets try to win with someone else.

Posted by: Mike4169 | September 3, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

And you, oh you prefer Vinny Cerrato? And GM Dan "Snidely Owl" Snyder?

Yeah right that's just "brill" dude!

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Might have 10x the money, but they spend like they have 1/10th the money.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Juuuust like I said - Zorn pulls this 3rd down carp and CPo gets frustrated.

Zorn still hasn't learned from last year. Is he TRYING to sink his own ship? Oh well, throw out another oar...

Montgomery stays. I hope.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 3, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Save the post, ladies. You'll be singing my praises and asking for my predictions come 2010.

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm currently studying my excuses for why I messed up in tonight RI FF draft.

now I can blame psps -- draft Brady, draft Calvin, draft Peterson -- wait, is it the Adrian Peterson one from Chi or Minn that I'm supposed to draft?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Montgomery can go elsewhere if we can sneak a draft pick away from a team desperately seeking DTs.

Posted by: pgugino | September 3, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I take heart in knowing that our OL has been practicing against our DL and that they are bound to be much better than they were last year (and hopefully will be healthier too).

And I recall that last year our major concern (not addressed in the draft) was our DL. Now, we have an embarrassment of riches along the DL.

So, the glass is half full. If the players on the field can fill that other half, there are better times ahead.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 3, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

No 'los ps? Where's the love for the top ten guy?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I like the SFO pick for Div winner. Warner is gonna break, and Seattle's Oline is crumbling.

OR, Maybe Singletary is gonna play smash mouth and the offense out there IS going to run through Gore and Davis. Michael who?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"1. Size and age ... but is Dock better than Kendall? Based on performance on the field -- not really. Though he does solve the longer term issue.
2. Bridges is a backup. If he's on the field against 1st team guys, is he going to look talented? And just because he's been tried at a couple of positions doesn't mean he is versatile. Seems to me he is a G and that he'd have trouble as a T."

Nothing personal, but I'm gonna have to disagree again. Dock is a significant upgrade over Kendall at 36, and this year, not next. Docker's not the player Kendall was at 30, but then, neither is Kendall.

Bridges isn't a natural tackle; he's a big, mobile brute who probably fits better at guard. But he can play tackle well enough to offer a decent running game on the right side. As far as run blocking goes, I think he's superior to Heyer.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

While I can agree that Vinny Cerrato should be downgraded from "shoot on sight" status. I refuse to put accolades on a man who has so completely neglected this team's biggest glaring need - quality OLine.

Posted by: p1funk

Derrick Dockery is an upgrade over Kendall in size and age.

Jeremy Bridges is a big, young versatile backup.

Rinehart, a write off last year, has taken a big step forward.

Will Montgomery has been a very pleasant surprise.

The jury is still out on Big Mike Williams.

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Dock is an upgrade simply b/c he's younger.

Frankly, the jury is still out on all the other guys. I guess the true test will come when they have to step in for a real game.

Our FAs are mostly projects, UFAs, backups or castoffs from other teams; we overreached for Rhinehart in the draft.

All in all, we've brought in plug-n-play hopefuls. We've not targeted and invested in legitimate talent.

Posted by: p1funk | September 3, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

sf, I think Davis is on a short leash with MSingletary, recalling his tirade, "can't win with em".....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"I have been grabbing Vernon Davis LATE (rd 14) as my starting FF TE. Maybe I'm crazy and stupid."

The question isn't whether you're crazy and stupid. It's whether Vernon is.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

psps23 looking at your probowl picks... Haynesworth..?? Hope you're right. But, I have a gut feeling he is going win the

"Disappeared Free Agent of the Year" award.

Or, the player who retired but didnt tell anyone award..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 3, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

This line hasn't shown it's top notch yet. It may never. But wat I pointed out is that the FO did not 'entirely ignore" the OL, as was posted.

I dont' think anyone has picked up Kendal because of his bad knees and age, Bridges has started in the past, Monty is a solid backup, and no argument Rhinehart sucked last year. This year Buges says there's definitely been progress and he's been on the field a lot in preseason...

Jury is still waaaay out on BiMike

Interpre "pleasant Surprise" as "He's no Geissinger."

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

The question isn't whether you're crazy and stupid. It's whether Vernon is.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 3, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

LOL good point. Grabbing him that late lets me get WR/RB depth...including the young huge upsiders like Knowshon, Beanie and my favorite, Donald Brown. Meanwhile people grabbing the Steelers d in the 7th round.... LMAO.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

No, But he is younger and so more likely to be on the field longer. That was and still is a problem with this OL.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Success is like a fart, only your own smells nice. - Larry Niven

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | September 3, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

If you are referring to my comment; then what I said is that Vinny has neglected the team's biggest glaring need in the form of QUALITY OLine.

Once again, with the exception of Dock which was really a lucky break, we've brought in projects and hopefuls, and we've spent the high draft picks and big money in all sorts of other places.

Posted by: p1funk | September 3, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

psps23,

I can dig it

Posted by: Skins281 | September 3, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised at Kendall still being out there -- he can be somewhat choosy. Kendall started all 32 games for us the past 2 years ... I suspect that less than 1/2 the OL slots in the NFL were manned by just 1 guy in the past 2 years.

Dock is an interesting comparison to Kendall. Clearly he's more athletic, which means we can run to the outside better. But Dock is also error prone. He adds in some areas, subtracts in others. If he lives up to his athleticism and stops with the mistakes, Dock is a huge upgrade. But there is a reason they let him go in Buffalo.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Rogers just missed the cut on the pro-bowl issue. He's nursing a calf injury, which puts him on the back foot, and the secondary is more about name recognition than almost any other position on the field (see Roy Williams' 5 pro-bowls). Rogers is playing in a contract year, so he'll light up the field...just not in the public eye.

You can see the look in Haynesworth's eyes as soon as he puts on the jersey on gameday. That's one guy I would not want to talk to before or during the game. He'll be there when the games start to count. He already injured Tom Brady in one half of play...you'll be seeing a lot more of those hits as the season progresses.

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Darrel Young is an example of where the Redskins put themselves under the microscope by going with the drafted player instead of the UDFA who shows more in camp.

Cody Glenn or Henson will probably make the roster over Young not based upon any real separation in performance, but because they were both draft picks.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 3, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason, from what I seen of Marcus in the interviews he seems as if he is a nice kid but boy you have really developed a Man Hate for the guy. Did he talk to your girl friend from Duke or something? Please let me know because this week you have put a clear case of Fatal Attraction for the guy as if he was caught creeping from your back door before you came home from Rocks house.....

Posted by: thebanker21 | September 3, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Re Dock
among the reasons was the $.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 3, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

per SkinsfaninKaneohe, grab Donald Brown, grab Knowshon, grab Wells -- avoid Steeler defense.

Any other advice for 2nites FF draft?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

JohnD's Predictions for 2009:

The Broadcast Booth - Sam will finally "go around the bend" in the middle of a game. Deciding he's hungry, he'll start demanding food from the fans around the booth. The situation will end with tear gas, a taser, and a 45 minute interruption of the game.

The Media - several members of RI will cancel their Washington Post subscriptions because of perceived anti-'Skins bias. No one will notice.

Chris Cooley's Web Site - Once again will be the focus of controversy as Cooley and the "Chris Cooley Players" remake "It's a Wonderful Life" in the nude, just in time for Christmas.

Fed Ex Tailgating - New lows will be reached as fans will not be allowed to bring their own grills and will then have to rent them from team management.

RI - The blog burns up on November 22nd, as the entire starting offensive line is injured during the Cowboy's game when Jerruh's video screens come crashing down on the field as the 'Skins are driving for the winning score in the 4th quarter.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

The mayor said "is not expected to play 70 percent of the snaps ".

Posted by: TheJury | September 3, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Re Dock
among the reasons was the $.

Posted by: _Stumped_

That and he gave up more sacks than any other LG in the entire league ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Just realized I am going to have the Redskins game on Mute tonight so I can listen to my Temple Owls opening game tonight at 7:00 pm via radio stream.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Mixed feelings on the Redskins going after defaulting ticket holders.

I do think it would behoove the front office to be more egalitarian with ticket holders who can't pay. The problem is, that's a slippery slope. If there aren't any repercussions for defaulting on a ticket contract, the number of defaults will increase. That's just a function of human nature meeting economic law. The article does note that the Redskins work out payment plans with the majority of ticket holders who can't pay in full.

The defaults cited in the WaPo article all seem to be related to premium seats. I think the main reason the Redskins aren't willing to just outright cancel the defaulted contracts and re-sell the season tickets to someone else is that, to my knowledge, they've never been able to sell-out the premium seats. There already aren't enough buyers for those seats, so the prospect of finding a new buyer, for something you had a hard time selling in the first place, is dim.

The real lesson here about the premium seats is that they're priced too high. It's not an issue of demand to see Redskins games in person, or else there wouldn't be a miles-long waiting list for non-premium season tickets. Solution? Lower the prices of premium tickets. Plain old basic economics states that a fair price is one that's mutually beneficial to both buyer and seller. At that price, an item will sell out. The fact that the Redskins have chronically unsold premium tickets proves that the price isn't fair.

(continued)

Posted by: freakzilla | September 3, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

ohhh -- and the FF draft happens at the same time -- can you multitask Alex?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

A.Mont, Betts, and a 2011 3rd rounder for Marshall.

Make it happen Danny

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

(continued from first post, too long to do it as one comment)

I fault the Redskins more in this area than in how they've pursued payment from a subset of defaulted ticket holders. Stop charging so much for premium tickets and you won't continue to have this problem. Arguing about how the Redskins should or shouldn't handle defaults is really just deciding how to treat a symptom instead of attacking the actual problem.

Ultimately, we're all responsible for our own actions, and irresponsible actions usually end up hurting. That's just a fact of life. Don't misinterpret that as me saying, "F 'em," because I'm not. But signing a multi-year contract for an entertainment expense that in a lot of these people's cases is probably the equivalent of a couple of months' pay? Come on. Where's your head?

Reading between the lines in some of the cases, it's clear that the poor financial choices of some of the people interviewed extend well beyond their decision to purchase very expensive tickets.

So, to sum up, people need to not buy things they can't afford and the Redskins shouldn't be suing their fans, but wringing our hands over these things misses the point that the tickets are too expensive in the first place. Fix the last part, and the first two will largely disappear.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 3, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"James, very interesting articles. I'm wondering how the concept for the article started? Specifically, what was the timeline? When did you hear about the sales to brokers, etc.? Can you also please confirm the fact that there is, in fact, a conspiracy at The Post to get Dan Snyder after the Redskins yanked your paper's tickets four years ago? Please also provide your long form birth certificate so we know you are not from Dallas."

OK, who's responsible for this in the on-line chat with the guy who wrote the season ticket articles?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09 | September 3, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Can Young cover kick offs and punts? Much rather see a young/fast/big upside LB than a 5th string RB named Rock make this team.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The FA we got who was a starter for the Rams should be in the LB corps for us, cant argue too much with 80 something tackles. At the least he is a depth guy.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

on the season ticket issue -- yeah its worth an article. Found it interesting the methods used by the ticket brokers. But is it a major indictment of the the Skins mgmt? No. Its a very small fraction of the tickets -- which maybe why it was under the radar -- and it was done without Skins mgmt on board.

A story? Yes. A scandal? No.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Z-
The FF draft is at 10:00, I think I will be okay. But triple fisting my football with a sick gf at home, making dinner and I will also do some light quantum physics. I think I should be okay. Just need a redbull

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse
Yes, he was a track star in high school.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 3, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"In some of the cases cited, the ticket holders in question really did not do anything to help their cause. Sorry, but not showing up in court to defend yourself is just dumb. It's hard to argue that you were treated unfairly if you're given your day in court and instead you punt."

This is really what I don't understand; I wouldn't whine IF I had signed such a contract, but I damn sure would have showed up in court to at least throw myself on the mercy of the judge.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Book it.

Posted by: psps23 | September 3, 2009 3:28 PM

Just bought my plane tickets!!

I dont know what I would do with out the prophets on this blog.

Oh and thank you isnadd, I was thinking of corn for dinner, but I will choose peanuts instead. They add a bit of a thrill coming off the exit ramp.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 3, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

LOVE LFB. Guy is a stud, and has been jobbed too many times to count re no go to Pro Bowl.

HOPING he continues his career long string of superior lb play for us this year.

WORRIED he MIGHT be heading for the big production dive off the cliff this year as age and nagging injuries accrue.

Foot/ankle last year. Foot injection this year already. Got beaten pretty good and lets face it looked slow (at least on that one play) against Patsies.

Not a bad idea to have an extra young LB playing Teams and waiting in the wings, Just In Case.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't know the particulars of the lawsuits john, so I am not gonna just throw it to the wind. Can the skins sue in any court they have a legal entity in or can they only do so in the jurisdiction of the ticket-holder?

Lets say that the skins decided to file the suit in Virginia and you live out in Eastern Shore or Frederick? Hell what if they filed in PG and you live in VABeach?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

what if your job forced you to leave the US and that was part of your issue?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

My guess is that the contract has a choice of venue clause. Most likely it's VA, which is much more plaintiff friendly, gets you into court earlier, doesn't require mandatory mediation, etc.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

what if your job forced you to leave the US and that was part of your issue?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act, if applicable. If not, you could give it a whirl in court anyway.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

from my limited knowledge of civil courts, the 'Skins would have to sue in the juridstiction that the customer lives in for any judgement to be enforceable.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Ken,
Good to know, but if it does not have said choice of venue clause, then the team could file anywhere they incorporate correct?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

what if your job forced you to leave the US and that was part of your issue?

Posted by: alex35332 | September 3, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

If you weren't in the US, they'd have a hard time serving you with process anyway.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I just gave this long rant...but the CIA...I mean WashPost yanked it.

SJK! I knew I should have copied that ish!

Anyway...it was a rant of how the WaPo went straight 'tard on the Skinz and how the article today just misinformed 99.9% of the whole freakin public, and specifically the REdskins Fan. And some of them are following for the Post Okie-doke......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I think in Jacksonville and Beyond

One under-the-radar storyline, however, is the fact that the Redskins may feel the most pressure in Week 1. That's because both head coach Jim Zorn and starting QB Jason Campbell are beyond the honeymoon stage, it's put up or head out.,/p>

"For their part, the Redskins have spent the past month attempting to restore faith in starting quarterback Jason Campbell," writes Mosley. "Judging by the actions of owner Dan Snyder and his trusty sidekick Vinny Cerrato, I think it's fair to say that coach Jim Zorn and Campbell's jobs are both on the line this season. It's playoffs or bust for these two, which is a dicey proposition in what is arguably the most competitive division in the league."

If the Redskins lose 3 in a row, which is feasible ... assume the Jim Zorn gets fired in the middle of the season. Reluctantly, Blache is asked, coerced into assuming the reins.

Campbell is likely permanently benched unless Blache can prevail with owner and GM Dan Snyder.

One proactive move to prevent this would be last minute trades for two seriously deficient spots: Offensive Tackle and Cornerback. Re-upping Pete Kendall would likely also help.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Keep the Skins 09 predictions coming...don't be shy.

12 wins
Division Title
JC 1st pro bowl

You heard it here

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I think those who depend on the WaPo to be informed re anything.... deserve their mushroom status.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston

Unfortunately, that's not true. You can contractually agree to a choice of jurisdiction and venue. Many of us probably have agreed to settle disputes with our credit card companies in Delaware.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Thanks

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheJury | September 3, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

If the Redskins lose 3 in a row, which is feasible

Kind of like If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle....

lots of speculation there peric, you still standing by your prediction of 4-12

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Zorn getting fired in the middle of the season is a possibility, especially given the progress the team seems to be making.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 3, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

The Post has raised their price for the Paper by 300%.

Someone write an article about that....

Oh wait, why would they write about that!

And they keep calling me because I have been getting the Sunday paper, but I never pay the bill when it comes! (This is all true btw). Now...I have been getting nasty phone calls from the post to pay my bill, but I always tell them that they are in the back of the line, and I'll pay them when their number comes up (again...all true).

If they don't mind other's NOT honoring contracts, why should I? And why do they keep calling to bug me to pay them?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I really don't want to trade for Marshall, but PFT and Adam Shefter have said the Broncos would entertain offers if they get players not picks, as there is no incentive to trade a guy before the season for after the season picks when they have him in a multi-year contract as they can just as easily trade him after this year before the draft.

Soooooo, if a deal could be done sending them DT, Hacket, Montegomery and Betts I'd do it otherwise no thanks. But DT strikes me as a immature bust waiting to happen Kelly looks great Marko Mitchell looks strong and there have been reports of how great Trent Shelton has looked in camp, Hacket is a name but is expendable to us but the broncos need receivers. Monte isn't happy and the Bronco's need DLine help big time. And Betts still has a little value I think especially to a team that has a lot of injury concerns at RB, and we could keep Mason and Alridge along with Rock.

I know this deal would never ever happen, and I don't want to trade for Marshall, but this scenario is the only one that wouldn't ruffle my feathers if it happened if any picks are involved its a stupid trade, but for what amounts to spare parts and a risky DT it may be worth the risk for a more talented head case in Marshall.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Redskins win the opener, but actually expect them to lose.

I also see them being 3-1 a the quarter pole.

Games 5-8 will really tell the tale of the season. Go 3-1 and we sit at 6-2. Go 1-3 and we are at 4-4 and angst ridden (and we DO KNOW agnst ridden, LOL) because we would have presumably lost to the Panthers, Eagles, and Falcons.

That leads into Broncos at home followed by at 'Boys, at Eagles, and Drew Brees at home. Screw up games 5-8 and all these games could be fights for continuing playoff relevance.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Washington
8. Washington Redskins – Dan Snyder: Despite his dubious image as a meddlesome hothead, Snyder is a great owner in many ways: He’s an exceptional businessman who has creatively and aggressively maximized revenues. According to the recently released Forbes rankings, the Redskins generate the most revenue at $345 million – $43 million more than the runner-up. (They generate a significant amount of that via luxury-suite revenue, another category in which they rank first.) When he’s not figuring out new ways to rake in dough, Snyder spends the bulk of his remaining energy trying to figure out how to build a winner. For those important reasons I am always predisposed to defend him, and I remain convinced that he’ll hoist a Lombardi Trophy before too long. That said, there’s a difference between desperately trying to win and knowing how to manage effectively toward that end, and Snyder doesn’t seem to be learning as quickly from his past mistakes as I thought he might. He’s still susceptible to becoming smitten with the hot free agent, as evidenced by the team’s signing of Albert Haynesworth(notes) to a monster deal at the start of free agency. Again, trying to assemble the most talented team possible is an admirable quality, but recent history has shown us that throwing huge contracts at big names isn’t usually the most effective approach. More troubling is Snyder’s penchant for getting overly chummy with some of his players, which enables an owner’s pet like Clinton Portis(notes) to act (perhaps somewhat justifiably, from his perspective) like he’s beyond his coach’s reproach. I think Snyder will have to grow to achieve the smashing success he ravenously craves. The good news for Redskins fans is that he’s smart and gutsy enough to do it.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

4th, not just the Post, but all newspapers have an asinine policy regarding cancellation of home delivery. With newspapers, you usually pay in advance for a specific period of time. However, for some reason that I can't quite understand, they will keep delivering after your period of subscription has expired, and expect you to pay for something that you didn't contract for. To stop the paper, the distributor has to decide that you're a deadbeat, and cancel it. If he does not care about delivering you a free paper, then you'll keep getting it. Does not make sense.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Santana, Marshall, and Kelly, (Mitchell and ARE)

I'm in.

Give 'em DT, Betts and Monty, and we'll take Marshall and a 1 or 2.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Barring Zorn getting this team to make a run in the playoffs, who do you think is the next HC of the Redskins?

I don't think Zorn gets fired mid-season, but he has to win 1 playoff game for Snyder to keep him around.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Keep the Skins 09 predictions coming...don't be shy.

12 wins
Division Title
JC 1st pro bowl

You heard it here

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bartender, I'll have whatever he's having.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 3, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

"Soooooo, if a deal could be done sending them DT, Hacket, Montegomery and Betts I'd do it"

And in doing so, you'd take RB from a position of depth, to a position having no depth. You'd be giving up on a 2nd round draft pick after 1 year. You'd be bringing in a player who purposely disrupted practice, has anger management issues, wants a new contract, has legal issues, and has alienated almost everyone around him on his team.

And you have the balls to claim you know a lot about football.

You my friend, are an idiot......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Santana, Marshall, and Kelly, (Mitchell and ARE)

I'm in.

Give 'em DT, Betts and Monty, and we'll take Marshall and a 1 or 2.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Not sure they would want DT in return. Their receivers are still a pretty good group without him.

I think we could throw in either another defensive player or the loser of the Colt v. Chase battle.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 3, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

So I, for one, am pissed that Goodell reinstated Vick for week 3 of the season. I know he missed 2 years 'cause he was in jail, but the US Justice System is separate from the NFL Personal Conduct Policy. Goodell should give Vick and separate and full year's suspension for killing and torturing animals, which is a clear violation of the NFL Code of Conduct.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 3, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The good news for Redskins fans is that he’s smart and gutsy enough to do it.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 3, 2009

When he gets rid of "chums" like Cerrato and releases Portis the way he did a guy who was still pretty damned critical to Blache's defense (Shawn Springs) then I will believe it.

Hopefully AH will play in as many games and be as effective as Springs was.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

You my friend, are an idiot......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 4:54 PM

Bean, the "my friend" doesn't sound like it belongs in this sentence.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

You my friend, are an idiot......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 4:54 PM

Bean, the "my friend" doesn't sound like it belongs in this sentence.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

And you have the balls to claim you know a lot about football.

You my friend, are an idiot......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 3, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, what's your problem, do you just feel the need to be a jerk and contrary at all times?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

And why do they keep calling to bug me to pay them?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 3, 2009 4:41 PM

I think the sound of your voice is soothing.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

all I was doing was having fun with a hypothetical while saying I have no desire to trade for him, I believe I said it multiple times, and then you have to treat it like I was seriously suggesting we should do it and call me an idiot. that's real cool.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 3, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wemiss21

Ever been to a cattle feed lot or slaughterhouse? Makes what Vick did look like cuddling.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

and they think eventually you'll get tired of them calling and pay them to go away.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

But I still love cheeseburgers...

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 3, 2009 5:09 PM

From one of those Troy McClure documentaries (I think it was called "Bovine University") on the Simpsons ...

Troy: Come on Jimmy, let's take a peek at the killing floor.

Jimmy: Oooh!

Troy: Don't let the name throw you, Jimmy. ... It's not really a FLOOR, it's more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice through so it can be collected and exported!

Posted by: dcsween | September 3, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Give 'em DT, Betts and Monty, and we'll take Marshall and a 1 or 2.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 3, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse
Ok, let me get this straight. You think they would give us a 1 or 2 and Marshall for that group? Wow, you can't be serious..

Posted by: ga8085 | September 3, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 5:09 PM

Or else they take you to court like the Redskins. Maybe 4th should just mail the papers back to them?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

UPDATED (4:49 p.m.)...

NEW YORK--The NFL has fully reinstated quarterback Michael Vick, effective in the Philadelphia Eagles' third game of the regular season.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 5:29 PM

McNabb's head is going to explode.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 3, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Killing Floor, a.k.a., Flavor Factory.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 3, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I also love cheeseburgers. But dog fighting is illegal and still a violation of the NFL Code of Conduct. 2 games is a joke. Goodell only gave him 2 games, 'cause he already missed 2 years while in prison, but my point is that he missed games CAUSE HE WAS IN PRISON, not because he was suspended. He is only missing 2 games due to suspension???? That is not enforcing the Code of Conduct Policy.

I thought Goodell was tough, but he is not.

At least, not with star quarterbacks....

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 3, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 3, 2009 4:58 PM

--------------

I love animals and love my dog and am repulsed by what Vick did.......

However, before anyone gets too self-righteous, how is killing cows and burning their flesh on your BBQ humane?

I enjoy the grilled steak like the rest of them, therefore I cannot jump up and down and act all PETAesque....

JustMHO

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 3, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Wemiss,

Wouldn't slapping additional suspension on top of the prison term be kind of like double jeopardy?

I don't condone what he did, but he's done his time.

Kind of like saying: hey, we're going to tax your income and then turn around a tax you when you spend your money (sales tax).

Okay, maybe that's a bad example.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 3, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

So, just to extend this out a little bit - You were arrested for running, say, a Hamster Fighting Ring - and you were cruel to the little fellas, flung the poor performers against the wall, filled their drink bottles with gin, used substandard pulp paper products to cover the bottom of their cages.

The law steps in and you go to jail. You're out of work for two years, make no money, nada. Somehow, your former place of employment hires you again, allows you to work there after you get out of jail. (Not that that would EVER happen, but the NFL is a different workplace)

Would it really make any sense for that employer to say: "Hey, c'mon back, it's OK for you to work here, but you know what? We aren't going to let you start working for another 1/2 year or so. We don't think you've been punished enough"?

He's already been unable to play for two years. Would it make you feel any better if Goodell had officially suspended him at the start of his prison term?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Why is Betts locked in as a "third down" back? What does that mean? Is this one of those "fit everyone to the scheme" kinda things? Like JC having to change his drop back and throw style to match a moronic concept of offense from another city and another coach?

Success follows great ideas. Great ideas work based on great resources. Doesn't work backwards!!

Start with your best resources, come up with the best plan to bring success based on those resources.

Just because "west coast offense" worked at some point in time and in some place doesn't make it the answer to any faltering offense. Sometimes it is good to drop back, wait a little bet, maybe step out of the pocket to buy time and then find an open receiver 48 yards down field (Like Brady does from time to time) Sometimes maybe it is better to have a quick drop and a quick release (in our case, a quick release to the ground)

Coach Zorn, forget about WCO. Let's come up with a working "Redskins Offense"

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 3, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"PFT and Adam Shefter have said the Broncos would entertain offers if they get players not picks, as there is no incentive to trade a guy before the season for after the season picks when they have him in a multi-year contract as they can just as easily trade him after this year before the draft."

That makes ZERO sense. If you trade him now, the other team gets his 2009 production -- so you'll get more picks for him if you trade him. One year of Brandon Marshall is worth a good bit. One year of Jason Taylor was worth a 2nd and 6th (OK -- he wasn't worth a 2nd and 6rh -- but that's hindsight)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

thecork

"Mista, some of your posts look more like you've been raiding the bar, rather than raising it."

You're right, my posts have been a little 'wack,' as the young people say.

There're the, "I like Marko Mitchell,..." and, "Chase Daniels is a player,..." that I dropped back when folks were aping for camp to start.

You say like you like easy things to hit.

Well, assess the season plan some of my other posts routinely lay out:

1st 10 games, skins go 5-5.

Final 6 games, skins go 4-2.

That's a record of 9-7.

If you figure in possible defensive scores, better offensive play, field position advantages gained from the improved punting, maybe the skins steal another game and go 10-6.

10-6 should be playoffs.

You go ahead and keep hitting posts.

I want to see the skins hit the playoffs.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 3, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

peaceful, your 5:44 post is damn near brllliant.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

** FF Post **

Busy day, sorry if it's been answered up here...is tonight's draft still on for 10pm? Got an email that the league's not full, and the draft won't be happening unless it's full by 9pm.

** End FF **

Posted by: 4-12 | September 3, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 3, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

No, because the NFL Code of Conduct holds players to a higher standard than just obeying the laws. So Goodell should punish Vick further than the law punished him.

For example, Ricky Williams smoked pot and got a slap on the wrist from the Criminal Justice System, but he got a major suspension from the NFL. Why? Because smoking pot is a minor criminal offense, but the NFL Code of Conduct is much more strict.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 3, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

4-12 looks like a new owner showed up, so I think the draft happens

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2,

They really don't need another wide receiver. They desperately need a great offensive tackle who can play guard. They need a backup center. Not sure about Rhinehart at guard?

With Davis at tight end Cooley becomes another "pure" receiver. Plenty of receivers.

They need a line to block for the QB so he can get the ball to them. Davis, when he is in, can be a superior blocker at tight end.

They also need a CB. I'm not sure I would trust the season to Hall and Carlos Rogers. Smoot? You're kidding right?

These are their really critical needs unless both their kickers don't pan out ... that would take precedence.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Zeke. See you all then...

and beeps

Posted by: 4-12 | September 3, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

peaceful, your 5:44 post is damn near brllliant.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 3, 2009 5:50 PM

----------

Thanks Z, it doesn't happen often, but I have my moments

HTTR

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 3, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Mista Moe,

Peter King has the cowboys and Eagles at 10-6 and out of the playoffs! He also has the Redskins at 6-10. What gives?

How can a team that was 8-8, but should have been at least 10-6, who then adds quality players deteriorate?

I guess the only way to prove it is on the field.

I am with you on the 10-6, but have a secret feeling that 12-4 is not delusional if we stay healthy. Just my $2.00

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 3, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are correct, but mote than likely 9-7 and shot at wildcard. I do think Brian Orakpo will be a major impact player.

PS: Its not the DEA its just Pappa Johns