His Contract Signed, Orakpo Takes Field

Brian Orakpo, the Redskins' first-round draft pick, signed a five-year, $20-million deal that includes $12.1 million in guarantees late Thursday, a league source said.

Orakpo, who turns 23 today, was on the field wearing No. 98 when the Skins began their second day of training camp this morning.

By Jason Reid  |  July 31, 2009; 8:46 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Offensive Line a Work in Progress
Next: Cerrato: Much Is Given to, Expected of Orakpo

Comments

First!

Posted by: ajlinn | July 31, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

That's what I am talking about. Everyone in camp by the second day

Posted by: jm220 | July 31, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I have the feeling Barnes and Rak will pan out as two great draft picks... Rak is the next Suggs/Ware.... hopefully

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Forget which of you asked for the fantasy link...your wish is my command if, you know, I feel like it:

Posted by: Cindy Boren | July 31, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

You are the best Cyn City. I hope all is well with you.

Posted by: jm220 | July 31, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 8:59 AM

I would rather him be the next Peppers or Mario Williams...Suggs and Ware play in a 3-4, the only system you should have a hybrid DE/LB in.

T_E, that's your cue...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 31, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

that is a pleasant bit of news. Hope that he can go Side to side all game

Posted by: alex35332 | July 31, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Cindy B. Big Ups!

Posted by: Predator48 | July 31, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Dont they play a 4-3 in bmore?

Posted by: Zeebs | July 31, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Exciting! The whole team practicing and in by the 2nd day of camp...outstanding. My only hope is that our training staff is better this year than the past about Hammies and other pulls, stretch, stretch!

Hail Skins and happy weekend to ALL!

Posted by: mhartz1 | July 31, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

They just reported on 980 that even though Zorn is allowing veterans to spend the night(s) at home, DeAngelo Hall has decided to stay at the hotel with his teammates. He said he wants to provide veteran leadership to them. I believe Randy Thomas has chosen to do so as well.

Very impressive!

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 31, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"His mind...is ahead.............of what the defense.................is"

~ Namath

Posted by: jmicrodoc | July 31, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Very impressive!

Posted by: Lisa_R | July 31, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Thats a good bit of class.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 31, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

There was a great fan question last night on that state-run tv show. Wanted to get that going here.

Who's your final four to get cut this year?

Buzbee - Hate to see it since I'm an alum.

Mason - He's not strong enough on S Teams

Keith Eoili - I think they'll let him fight for that last WR spot with Marko Mitchell

B Westbrook - I think they keep J Tyron.

Posted by: Devo2 | July 31, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Zeebs you are correct, the ravens play a 4-4, so suggs is a good comparision

Posted by: drewkinnear | July 31, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Baltimore runs about every defense you can imagine. They run a 4-3, 3-4, 4-4, and 46.

Their base formation is actually a 3-3, with a utility man swung around in every which way (normally Terrell Suggs). It's part of the reason why they're so unpredictable.

For simplicities sake, experts say they run a 3-4, but in reality, it's about as unique of a defense as there is in the league (of course, that was with Rex Ryan as the coordinator).

*note: Blache actually instituted a similar defense in the second Eagles game, where we went 3-3 with a utility man (JTaylor). Maybe this is what he had in mind with the Orakpo transition.

Posted by: psps23 | July 31, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

The ravens play a 4-4?
I did not realize.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 31, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

So as to avoid confusion with "Rak", I'm changing my blues stagename to "Hamfield McCoy"..May he "Rak" mighty sums of "Sack"!!

Posted by: frak | July 31, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Devo2,
I think you are right about Buzbee, Eloi and Mason, thought I think Eloi will go to the developmental roster. I don't think Tryon stays. They saw something in him that they wanted to develop, but I don't think he's responded well to coaching. I suspect there will be some veterans leaving that might surprise us. I am thinking Doughty and Smoot are most likely in that category. Renaldo Wynn could also be a veteran on the bubble as there are a lot of younger, more athletic guys around him. It's a tough thing, because I'd like to see guys like Buzzbee stick, but you have to be realistic about his chances.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 31, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

4-3 i meant duh

Posted by: drewkinnear | July 31, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 31, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

The only way Fred Smoot is going anywhere is if both Tryon and Westbrook beat him out. That is simply not happening.

Posted by: Predator48 | July 31, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Smoot gone is crazy talk! He's a guy that can start for many teams. I do think Wynn is in trouble, and that's a good thing. Not for Wynn though.

Posted by: drfunknsoul | July 31, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse