Injuries have Zorn scrambling

During his news conference today, Coach Jim Zorn confirmed that running back Ladell Betts will miss the rest of the season because of torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments, the team plans to bring back Marcus Mason to help Rock Cartwright and Quinton Ganther and top cornerback DeAngelo Hall could miss this week's game against the Philadelphia Eagles because of a sprained knee.

"I don't expect to have him back," Zorn said of Betts, who will be placed on the season-ending injured-reserve list.

Hall finished Sunday's 7-6 loss to the Dallas Cowboys despite a sprained MCL, "but he may be out for a week," Zorn said. "Depends on how fast we can get him back.

"He's not an injured-reserved candidate. I guess I have to say that now, I guess. He played hard. He finished the game. We'll see how fast we can get him back."

Betts started the last two games in place of top running back Clinton Portis, who has been experiencing lingering affects from a concussion and already has been ruled out of this week's game against the Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field. Portis also might not play Dec. 6 against the New Orleans Saints at FedEx Field, Zorn said. When asked whether the team would consider shutting down Portis for the rest of the season, Zorn said, "No. Not right now." Betts's injury occurred while he was being tackled in the first quarter of Sunday's 7-6 loss to the Dallas Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium.

Betts's status was among many injury updates Zorn provided, and the team also will be without guard Chad Rinehart for the final six games because of a broken fibula. Rinehart, whose injury occurred early in the second half when a Dallas player rolled on his legs, was scheduled to undergo surgery this afternoon to have a plate and screws inserted into his leg. "He'll be on injured reserve," Zorn said.

In addition to the discouraging injury news from yet another loss for the 3-7 team, the Redskins also learned that Pro Bowl tight end Chris Cooley (broken bone in lower leg) will be in a walking boot for another 10 days. The Redskins had hoped Cooley might return soon, so "that is not good news for me," Zorn said. "He'll be another 10 days in the boot without weight bearing and that will set us back with him."

As for the possibility of Cooley, sidelined the last three games, going on injured reserve at some point soon, "I've got to work through that," Zorn said. If Cooley needs more than two weeks in rehabilitation after the boot comes off, it is highly doubtful he would return this season.

Backup fullback Eddie Williams, who was hurt in practice Friday, underwent fibula surgery and will be sidelined for the final six games. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth (knee) and veteran tackle-guard Mike Williams (ankle) are working in an effort to return this week against Philadelphia, Zorn said. If Williams sits out again this week, rookie guard Edwin Williams, who took over when Rinehart went down, would start at right guard against Philadelphia.

Backup guard-center Will Montgomery started three games at right guard this season, but Zorn turned to Williams when Rinehart was carted off the field because "just a bigger body, just to try to get a bigger guy in there, against a big defensive tackle. He anchored
pretty well. He just stepped in and played."

In addition to Betts, Rinehart and Eddie Williams, right guard Randy Thomas, Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels, strong safety Chris Horton and quarterback Colt Brennan also have suffered season-ending injuries.

"It's something that I've never been around," Zorn said. "I've been on some teams that have had injuries, but these are injuries that are IR types of injuries. We've had a lot of 'em, and they've been unfortunate."

By Jason Reid  |  November 23, 2009; 2:10 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis to miss Eagles game; Betts to IR
Next: Zorn explains his thinking on FG attempt

Comments

*SIGH*

F Zorn.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 23, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

IR the whole damn team and sign all the guys we cut in the preseason to play.

Posted by: FedorEm | November 23, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

And then on the second timeout, that use of timeout, that was just so frustrating to me. We hurt Jason on that play. I hurt him, because I didn't have the needed call, and we got caught on time again, where we had a shift and a motion and I had to call timeout because it wasn't gonna be [snapped in time]. It was just totally mine, totally on me. I screwed us out of that timeout. I did everything I could just to maintain my composure, and then it absolutely had an issue at the end of this football game, so it's just on me."

What?? What the hell is he even saying anymore? I wish JC would just purposely "throw a ball away" and beam Zorn in the nuts. Retard..

You can't come up with anyone "worse"?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

He's a kicker for crying out loud!! And besides the kickoffs, he's not that great of a FG kicker.
And I did forget about Jemarcus Russell, but I'll give him a few more yrs. They might switch him to OT and he can have a long and respectful career..lol

Posted by: ga8085 | November 23, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

1st to say Fire Vinny !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 23, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

not taking a shot at the end zone at the end of the first half was bs. if i was a player i would take that as a direct slap to the face. he had no confidence in the line's ability to block and in campbell to throw it away. thats the kind of crap that makes players quit on their coach.

Posted by: follybeach | November 23, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

'Injuries Have *Campbell* Scrambling'

There, fixed that for ya Mr. Mayor.

Posted by: Predator48 | November 23, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Mebbe they should have signed Larry Johnson. He probably prefers Cincinnati.

Posted by: periculum | November 23, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Looks like its time for Terp Barnes to step out or step out.

Posted by: periculum | November 23, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

All I’m saying is Peter Warrick (WR _ Bengals), and Ron Dayne (RB_Giants) were drafted in 2000 ahead of Janikowski. And the next year the skins #1 pick was Rod Gardner. That’s 3 who are worse picks (IMO) than Janikowski, and I’m not even trying.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 23, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

yeah, follybeach, but Campbell almost messed up the preceding play - simultaneously stepping out of bounds while throwing away the ball on 2nd down. You gotta take the points cause Campbell will find a way to screw it up - probably check down to someone in the middle of field and the clock runs out.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 23, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Campbell == Lame Duck, Zorn == Lame Duck. Sherm and Zorny afraid to call any sort of risky play in the redzone and risk the owner's nuclear meltdown. Next ... shut it, stop criticizing these guys ... given the situation they are performing admirably.

Posted by: periculum | November 23, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Not sure What The F is the point of not putting Cooley on IR at this juncture. Nothing to gain, and lots to lose by rushing him back to play in meaningless games. I love Cooley. For his own good (and the team's at this point), shut him down, let him get completely right, and hit the offseason running hard for next year. At this point the Team has the political high ground with Cooley, "we tried, you tried, but the ankle is not responding quick enough. Go get it completely right for next year" Duh.

Betts IR = RB to the roster. The usual suspects at this point, Mason, etc etc etc.

Cooley to IR = BMW to OG for Rhino = Down an OT B/U = Bring in the big OT from SFO p-squad to our active roster for the rest of year to see if he is worth any old thing at all. If he's not, at least you know it and can move on. Maybe he is a diamond in the rough and you then only have to grab one vice two OT in the draft. I figure if he can make half his plays but remember the snap count every time he is an immediate upgrade over Heyer. Whats to lose?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 23, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Fire the owner first.

Posted by: periculum | November 23, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Work through what? DO the math. He's at least 2 weeks away from even getting the boot off. That puts you at game 12 Zorn. Cooley will then need another 2 weeks to rehab. That puts you to at least game 14 Zorn. By then, the Skins will have two meaningless games to play Zorn, then you out of here. Put Cooley on IR, now numnuts.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone calculated the salary cap ramifications of these injuries? Even at league minimum, we didn't exactly have a ton of breathing room.
Maybe they'll have to adjust CP's contract to clear some space.

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Really yesterdays game showed us a lot and I think the injuries are what is killing us. We are building a TON of depth on the O-line so that might be the silver lining.

They should get a new coach, any of the ones with super bowl rings then since it is an ucapped yeaer sign a RT and LT, draft a RB, keep Campbell and we are going to the SUPER BOWL next year.

They could do that WITH Vinny.

All you people who say we draft poorly look how good the 2nd round receivers were yesterday.

You are ALL stupid, the Redksins are good, just unlucky with all the injuries.

If we stayed healthy would we WIN the division this year.

You are all stupid.

I know this, I should be GM along with Vinny who does not get enough credit.

Posted by: LoJankFilDee19338333 | November 23, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

*sigh* NOW can we look at getting new medical staff?!?... ugh...

Hats off to the team for playing well even with the injuries. Way to take a hit, Soup!

Interestingly enough I've seen some comparisons to the Pats game of last week. Could Zoron the Moron have learned from Grupmy Coarch's mistake? hmmmm....

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 23, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Fire the owner first.

Do you want me to add you to the list of people to call? Just leave your name and a number you can be reached at in 2037.

Posted by: daggar | November 23, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Without much cap room left they won't be able to sign any replacements...soon they will have to play ironman football... maybe that would be best geving the superior quality of the defense. IR the offense!

Posted by: Burrasta1 | November 23, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy going to Scout.com but let's slow down with the cutting and pasteing and saying this guy is better than that guy. This is their overall WR rankings from their 2008 board...

WR 1 Devin Thomas JR 6-2/215/4.50 Michigan State
WR 2 Malcolm Kelly JR 6-4/215/4.50 Oklahoma
WR 8 DeSean Jackson JR 6-0/172/- California
WR 11 Eddie Royal SR 5-10/181/4.39 Virginia Tech

Need I say more

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 23, 2009 2:57 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 23, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Ignoring the best available was the reason why they drafted Landry over Peterson."

Memory loss at work here.

Adrian Peterson had an injured shoulder and injury history that scared teams off.

Just like Percy Harvin had an injury history that scared teams off.

Just like Dan Marino and Warren Sapp had drug allegations that scared teams off.

Look: when you have a top 10 pick, you take the guy who has dominated high level competition while in college.

An only one guy finds that definition at a position of need for the Washington Redskins: CJ Spiller.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Wrong, Moe. I still remember Erica Daniels juice box trimming from 9th grade. Memory is always on point, Aki.

I do remember Adrian Peterson's shoulder, but it caused him to to lose the 1-3 slots.

You're telling me that you had LaRon Landry above Peterson as far as best available?

But keep on keeping on pimping CJ Spiller in the first round. There is NO WAY that I'm taking a RB the size of CJ Spiller in round one, at least not in the first half of the draft.

Drafting CJ Spiller before Mays or Berry is even more whacked than drafting Mays or Berry ahead of a offensive linemen that could be justified drafting given where the Redskins will be picking.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 23, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people are saying 'get rid of Campbell.' That is fine but who in the world is going to come in here and do any better unless we stack up on O-line help and get some receivers that can change a game?

Personally, I was proud of the way Campbell played yesterday and for a good portion of the season. I like seeing Thomas and Kelly make some nice plays and Rinehart looked good in his limited time.

The issue is playcalling and not drafting for depth. To me, getting rid of Cerrato and Zorn would make more sense, unless anyone can convince me of a QB out there who is better. If nothing changes in the front office and we hire another coach, new or otherwise, it won't matter. We'll be discussing the same things next Thanksgiving with the caveat, 'give it time. The players are learning a new system.'

Posted by: authorofpoetry | November 23, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

One good game from LL, and this is what he brings.

LaRon Landry calls Roy Williams scared
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 23, 2009 2:20 PM ET
Roy Williams short-armed so many passes against the Redskins Sunday, Fox actually ran a lowlights package of his afternoon. (That's more embarrassing than getting pantsed.)

Lurking in the foreground of Williams' weak efforts was Redskins safety LaRon Landry. Asked what he thought about Williams by the Redskins website, Landry said the Cowboys receiver looked "scared."

"Yeah. I know he was. Y'all can quote it, too," Landry said Monday. "Y'all can tell him right now, tell him I'm sayin' it. I can say it right now: yeah, he was scared, I think. I told him he was scared."

Williams' reaction to Landry wasn't shocking. He had none. He didn't have any catches in the game either. Cowboys offensive coordinator may not want to bother sending Williams over the middle any more.

"Certain routes he ran, you could tell he didn't want any part of it," Landry said.

Posted by: TWISI | November 23, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

You are ALL stupid, the Redksins are good, just unlucky with all the injuries.

If we stayed healthy would we WIN the division this year.

you're joking, right?

We were healthy when the Giants stomped us in game #1. We were healthy when we lost to Detroit and nearly lost to St. Louis. If we are all stupid, that must make you legally brain-dead.

Posted by: Predator48 | November 23, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: authorofpoetry | November 23, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Dude this is Redskins Insider. Colt Brennan will come in and throw for 50 sidearm TDs next season. Todd Collins will take us to the superbowl. Heck even Mike Vick would be awesome here!!! JC is really just Jerry Jones in disguise.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 23, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan - Awesome! I wish it were true!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | November 23, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Trade LaRon for picks!

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Alex's process in re-building the team.

1. Higher a team president. Preferably a ex-player or coach a football mind who is a LOYAL Skin. During hiring process come up with a basic philosophy that we want embodying every aspect of the team, for me that philosophy would be called "forward thinking smash mouth football".

2. Higher a GM, I have a hand full of candidates I would like to see interviewed, but I would not tell my President to pick that person. I would like to see Morocco Brown interviewed internally, as a young up and comer in league.

3. Have GM/President and other FO types pick the new coach and staff.

4. Build a new practice facility/ specifically an indoor facility with top notch conditioning facilities.

5. Show dedication to the fans by announcing publicly that we will be making every effort to move the team back to DC when all contracts on the old stadium are expired. But in the mean time, upgrade FedEx with a new scoreboard or two and figure out a way to put a bubble dome on the roof.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 23, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

its almost like our team is full of old veterans due for injuries....

Posted by: TBADOW | November 23, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse