Injury report: Thomas sits out practice

Starting flanker/kick returner Devin Thomas (ankle) sat out practice today and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin (shoulder) and defensive end Andre Carter (biceps) were limited, Coach Jim Zorn said.

If Thomas sits out Sunday night against the Dallas Cowboys, Malcolm Kelly would start opposite split end Santana Moss and Marko Mitchell would be active, Zorn said. Carter expects to play despite a biceps tear.

"I am doing a Phillip Daniels," Carter said in a text message to a reporter in reference to the Redskins' other starting end, who has played much of the season with a biceps tear.
"It happens, man. I have my legs and another good arm. I will live."

By Jason Reid  |  December 23, 2009; 5:22 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Some clarity -- sort of -- on the Jerry Gray situation
Next: Redskins have last chance for NFC East win

Comments

WOW

Posted by: WRBD | December 23, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

It also means that POS ARE gets to return punts. F that.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 23, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Phock cHRIS LARRY !

Posted by: OG_Barno | December 23, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

cL -- thanks for the comments on the 2 TE stuff. I don't recall those teams you mentioned accurately enough to say if 2 TE's were a huge part of their offense.

Some of the teams you mentioned, used one guy mostly as a blocker -- like some teams use a fullback these days.

If there are teams that did use 2 pass catching TEs effectively, we should look at what they did and how they were effective. Because clearly, that is the position we have the most talent.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 23, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis is starting on my fantasy team over Kellen Winslow in the Super Bowl.

Those kind of facts are inarguable.

TRADE CHRIS COOLEY TRADE CHRIS COOLEY...

Posted by: SMACK1 | December 23, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Hate that Devin Thomas is hurt. I think he got hurt while ... wait for it ... returning a kick.

I HATE that is what Zorn decided to do with Thomas. He is becoming our best WR, but he needs to grow as a WR right now.

So Zorn puts him at risk with kick returns and takes Thomas's focus away from learning the position that will be his bread and butter. Which is also the position that the team needs him the most.

While others see the stupid fake FG attempt as a sign of Zorn's poor coaching, it is the more mundane stuff where Zorn has failed. Devin Thomas, not practicing and questionable due to an ankle sprain, is 100% on Zorn.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 23, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Another possible trade with Carolina instead of Williams for Cooley and a pick would be Campbell for Williams and a pick.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 23, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 23, 2009 5:45 PM

I thought it was a dumb call, but would make two points for Zorn. 1. He succeeded earlier in the year with two other fake FG's, and two out of three ain't bad. (I got that from Meatloaf). 2. Play would have worked if Smith threw it to the receiver who was open behind the Giants' defenders. Guy just didn't have enough arm. Zorn should have put Collins in as the "holder" for that play given that he'd already telegraphed it.

Posted by: League-Source | December 23, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Who was open? jints guy came in unblocked, and Hunter was about 7 yards deep. So at the time Hunter was getting crunched, whatever receiver you are talking about wouldn't be more than about 7 yards downfield.

Hunter had to start his throwing motion when our guys were less than 5 yards from where they began the play.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 23, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

cL - using the Didier/Warren reference does not work for me. Didier was the receiver and Warren was the blocker. Warren did catch some balls, but was the primary blocking end. In many cases, Didier was the h-back in motion as Warren was a blocking end. Many times even covered by a WR.

Zorn's vision was both of these guys to be staples in the offense. I would like to see that happen. That would also hinge on us having a strong O-Line that could handle 1 on 1 blocking.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 23, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I thought we had already figured out that Zorn was a retard for trying ANY fake after TC called TO and the obvious move was to kick the FG.

"Well Gosh, Jason sure get a lot of time to throw in practice and we usually hit those plays when they are run as perfectly as I designed them"

See ya Stanley.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 23, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I have been out of the loop for the past few days so I missed the majority of the game and just saw the play" last night.

I think theinitial call was good to take a shot at it. Unfortunately, when the gints took a time-out it was over.

You could visible see the confusion on the gints faces whn everyone lined up left. They were absolutely clueless...had no idea what to do.

Once they called a To, they should have just took a shot at the end-zone the old fashioned way.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | December 23, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | December 23, 2009 5:51 PM |

You must not get out much. See Bog, Wise. The play was supposed to fail. And if Snyder axed Z for giving him the finger then he would have one upped his newly minted GM, not that anyone was really expecting the guy to have any hiring/firing authority anyway. But you normally expect there to be a decent interval before the veil drops, not 3 forkin days.

Posted by: TLoad | December 23, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

The key to most trick plays working is the element of surprise. Was shocked when Hunter threw the TD pass earlier this year because the other guys had been, in effect, told to watch out for a trick play. The Skins were very lucky on that play because it wasn't hard to defend. I'm thinking Zorn may have gotten a bit too confident in his trick play calling.

The only smart fake attempt was the run for a TD on opening day. I know think there was another fake kick, trying to recall if it was a smart move.

One of the issues with this play was that it was a TD or nothing. If its 4th and 4 with 2 minutes to go in the half, a 5 yard pickup is a success. In this case, the only way for it to be a success was if the Skins scored a TD.

The formation used might work for a screen play to the left to gain 5 yards, since there were about 5 blockers out there. I kind of liked that part of the design. But gaining 5 yards for a 1st down wasn't what the play needed to accomplish.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 23, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

The fake was a disaster. 2 of 3 this year is good, but should be 2 of 2. One worked earlier in the year after a TO was called. No way that happens twice. Danny Smith should be fired. He's the guy that keeps putting ARE out there bc of his "sure hands".... Zorn gone anyways.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | December 23, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Who was open?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 23, 2009 5:59 PM

Zeke,

I can't tell you who it was. Whoever they'd chosen to receive the ball got behind the Giants. Hunter needed to lead him, but I don't think he had enough arm. Someone said it was Yoder, but I really don't know. I'm sure they'll show the replay about 40 more times, so you can decide.

Posted by: League-Source | December 23, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Nobody in their right mind would say that fake whatever would work.... madden sports would not have allowed the play....its not a call that a rational coach would have made... and unfortunately the play calling reminded me of pre Sherm Lewis... again boy wonder is in the mix....predictable, boring and stupid.... tied jc hands...actually JC should sue ZORN.... for ineptness as coach how many hits sacks is he to take (kids look at Jason this is example of a committed pro)Zorn has no clue....I looked at the replacement players... the wildcats IMO Goldie Hawn would have coached better....and the HEART of the team

Posted by: travmanf | December 23, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse