Is Wildcat an Option for Redskins?

The New York Giants are the latest team to begin installing the Wildcat offense. And with Michael Vick now in the NFC East with Philadelphia, the Eagles might run the change-of-pace formation often.

Last season, Coach Jim Zorn said he wanted to study the Wildcat before deciding whether it could help Washington's offense. The thing about the Wildcat is, teams have to commit to it as part of their offensive package to be productive in its formation. Many coaches would prefer to run plays from their bases packages instead of eliminating them in favor of trying an occasional Wildcat play.

The other big issue is personnel. Several Insider readers have suggested to me that Zorn should use Antwaan Randle El in the Wildcat because he played quarterback at Indiana (Randle El also played on the basketball team under Bobby Knight). But I think the Redskins would have concerns using Randle El, who is listed at 5 feet 10 and 185 pounds, as a Wildcat quarterback because of the pounding he could take if the team used the formation regularly.

And Randle El has been the Redskins' starting flanker and primary punt returner the last three seasons. It would have been risky to use him in the Wildcat because of the lack of depth at both positions.

Depending on this season's roster, I think Zorn could revisit whether the Wildcat has a place in his overall offensive scheme. If he had the right people, my guess is that we would see the Redskins operate in the Wildcat.

By Jason Reid  |  August 15, 2009; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Did Colt Complete Pass to Jessica?
Next: Pacman Isn't a Possibility, For Now

Comments

Zorn trying something new? That would be a FIRST.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 15, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I think it's time we look at whether the WCO is still effective. The short passes of the WCO were used to combat D's like Buddy Ryan's 4-6, but we're now in the era of Cover-2. My opinion is that the Bill Walsh tree is actually dying, if not already dead.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 15, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Ken you said it, im pretty sure zorn only runs the same 5 plays over and over....

Posted by: hillb03 | August 15, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"..pop tart Jessica Simpson.."

Jessica Simpson is as about as interesting to look at as a loaf of bread and is just as plain.

I like women who look like they been raised on grits and gravy, thick like her hips have been build out of both rice and beans.

Why does Colt want Jessica?

Can't say, don't care.

Plus: Colt has gotta know that 'second' is what you want to come in at a track meet, not in the bedroom.

Nick Lachey, Tony Romo: Jessica Simpson is becoming a used clunker not worth the cash.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 15, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Tell you wouldn't still kick the tires and take that for a test run Moe

I just blogged about Jessica SImpson. I am disgusted with myself

HAYLE

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 15, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 15, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Maye you're right, maybe not. But it's irrelevant at this point. WCO ain't goin anywhere this year, so we may as well embrace it and hope it works as it has for many teams in the past/present

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 15, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

___

Yea and if I had $10 million I'd be rich. Cmon Reid, you're better than that.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 15, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

DC could run it with ARL taking snaps.

Posted by: Realness1 | August 15, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

notorious

"Tell you wouldn't still kick the tires and take that for a test run..."

I'll kick her out of the bed just so I can hit on the floor--sideways to avoid the rug burn.

Plus, to quote Biggie Small,"..if the head right, Biggie there, every night,...".

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 15, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Zorn trying something new? That would be a FIRST.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 15, 2009 12:32 PM |

Last year when Heyer was injured and he was replaced by Jansen, Portis had some good running games because Jansen could still run block, at least a lot better than Heyer. But once teams figured out that if you neutralized Portis and Moss you could stymy the Skins O, Zorn found himself between a rock and hard place. Heyer had recovered from his injury and Jansen should have gone back to being a sub. But if that happened Portis would blast Zorn so he kept Jansen in and Campbell ended up taking the lumps Portis should have taken because Jansen could not stop edge rushers to save his life. It did not help matters any that Campbell showed Zorn nothing that he could use as an alternative to Portis. But this year Portis will have to learn to make due with Heyer or whoever is manning the RT slot, regardless of what happens with Campbell.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | August 15, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Biggie Small,"..if the head right, Biggie there, every night,...".

Biggie Small sure has a way with words.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 15, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Point of Fact:

No team using the wildcat made the NFL Final 8 last season.

Question:

So why are bloggas aping about it?

Answer:

'Cuz it's trendy.

Thing is, wildcat won't work if there is no blocking or dynamic player to run it.

The skins should focus on pass protection and getting its young wide outs and Fred Davis integrated into the offense.

The team doesn't have the luxury to experiment with wildcat or any other kind of when it's offense can't use a traditional WCO scheme to score on the regular.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 15, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"Biggie Small sure had a way with words."

True.

Too bad he's dead and auto-tune lives.

And I like how his family didn't ruin his legacy by releasing a bunch lame studio remixes and whatnot like Tupac's people did.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 15, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 15, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I keep refreshing these lame non-news threads to see when the Skins sign some offensive linemen. Nope, nothing yet. What's Vinny waiting for? Cutting day?

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | August 15, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Hagans played QB at Virginia, use him instead of ARE.

Posted by: Dntheman1 | August 15, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand all this "Randall El this" and Randle El that" in what seems like two out of three WaPo articles about the Skins. Randle El was a very good player for the Steelers but he has basically been a bust for the Redskins. It may not be El's fault as it seems that the primary purpose in a NFL coach's life, and that includes Zorn, is to take a talented football player, e.g., Colt Brennan, Randle El, Vince Young, and remake him into a Transformer droid.

Trade Randle El to a team he can help and clear some cap space for an offensive lineman or three.

Posted by: Lazarus40 | August 16, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

P.S.

Just caught for the two hundred fifty-first time CBS' promo about 60 Minutes and Michael Vick...."I knew I was guilty"....I'm sorry....I'm gonna fund a camp for kids....ad naseum.

Anyone who believes that Vick BS hasn't kept up with that family. At least in going to the Eagles, he is back in the 'hood where he belongs. We haven't heard the last of this "dude" (appropriate moniker not politically correct nor allowed).

Posted by: Lazarus40 | August 16, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse