Jarmon vows to 'pick up where I left off'

Rookie defensive lineman Jeremy Jarmon was upbeat despite being on crutches because of a season-ending knee injury that occurred during Sunday's 27-24 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Jarmon, a supplemental draft pick by the Redskins this summer, had made a positive impression on coaches while playing in every game. He plans to undergo surgery early next week and is eager to begin the rehab process in an effort to be ready for next season.

"I felt like I got off to a good start, I continued to improve," said Jarmon, who was hurt on kickoff coverage. "Going into that game, I was doing well. I started off pretty good, made some good plays, made some things happen.

"I think the coaches saw one thing is that I was just going to continue to elevate my play with increased playing time. This is a setback. But when I get back, and I get back to 100 percent, I'm going to pick up right where I left off."

By Jason Reid  |  December 3, 2009; 1:38 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McIntosh: Skins defense knows what it must do
Next: Gray knows what to expect from Williams' defense

Comments

hopefully the new coaching staff believes in rotating players, as well as playing rookies...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Jarmon was well worth a 2010 3rd rd pick IMO.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 3, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2009 1:41 PM

Agree that Levi is part of the answer, though I would prefer him as a back-up rather than the starter.

Just don't want this FO thinking that by signing Levi they do not need to address the LT position next year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 3, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

That was a 3rd in the supplemental right? Not in the bigtime draft?

Posted by: REXskins | December 3, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

curz, agreed, good move I think, this injury bums me out, same with Rhino's...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Weak-side linebacker Rocky McIntosh believes the Redskins' run defense is better than its 25th-place ranking in the NFL would indicate. "We've just given up a few long runs, that's why were not ranked that high," McIntosh said.

++++++++++++++++++

Rock-solid logic. Must be that "U" edumacation.

This offense is alot better than their 17ppg stat would indicate as well. The problem is that they've not scored enough TDs. If they would score more, they'd be ranked higher.

Bingo.

Posted by: p1funk | December 3, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

3rd in supplemental means you give up that pick in following draft Rexy...

Posted by: chrislarry | December 3, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

rex, no, we have no third round pick in this coming draft....because of using it in the supplemental draft...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Skins have lots of turnover coming, so it really is bad when some of the guys they really need to see are hurt. Rinehart and Jarmon among them.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

REX, although it was in the supplemental draft, they lose that draft pick in the following "bigtime" draft.

Still a good value based on Jarmon's work this year. Just wish they would have used him more...

Greg, yeah, bummed out on both those injuries...Skins can't catch a break.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 3, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Man, Jeremy... jarmon, joe. Get back for the '10 so by 2011, you'll be opposite of Sackpo.

Jarmon on the left, Orakpo on the right. Hell, even switch 'em from time to time.

But no more Haynesworth on the ends, I can't even begin to tell you how stupid I think that is!

Posted by: RedDMV | December 3, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

beantown

"I think it might be time with Joe B as well...put him in the Ring of Fame, and let's get someone much younger in here..."

What I don't get is that the same folks who want Zorn gone don't see that his leaving means Bugel may or will follow.

Wouldn't a new coach want his own staff?

But again: I don't think major staff changes are needed.

Major philosophical changes, though, are.

Gone are the days when you drafted Big Ten maulers types and trained them up to run block and maybe pass protect.

The skins would do well to give up the ol' skool idea that anybody can be an offensive linemen and draft some long, athletic guys with quick hips.

The team needs to spend money and draft picks on the offense just has it has on the defense--remember, you can beat people by scoring too, ya' know.

If they don't change their ways, Stephon Heyer will start at Left Tackle next year.

And all of us will be reliving the madness we hate now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

previously, on RI...
Ok, so we want to rewrite history again, eh? Sam Baker was the #7-10 ranked OL in the 2008 draft. I'm not gonna defend WR-TE-WR, but every year everyone Up Here wants us to trade down and get more draft picks, and the one time they're able to do so it's the wrong move? Given where they were when the opportunity arose, I think it was a smart trade -- all the elite OL were gone, none of the elite WR were gone, and we needed players at both positions.

As for Oher, we would be Up Here screaming about what a bust he is right about now, because the churn of other players on the line would've set him back. The most level-headed comments would be "who can tell whether he's any good or not", which is all I can say about BMW, Rhino, EWill, WillM, even Rabach and Dockery.

As for Bugel, he's gotten a pretty ragtag bunch blocking... better. Certainly not great, maybe not even well enough to win, but given how weak our talent was when fully healthy and the lack of quality depth, JC should be dead by now.

Posted by: daggar | December 3, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Why does it take our coaching staff this long to realize that the younger guys are more talented and faster then the old farts we have as starters. Play Marko Mitchell, Mason, Edwin Williams, and others! GEEEZZZ

Phillip Daniels....are you kidding me! Jarmon should have been the starter, if you gonna use Sackpo at LB!

Randal "Fair catch" El should be benched.

Move Santana to the slot, start Devin and Marko at the ends.

Carlos is garbage!

Being CONSERVATIVE, don't win football games in WASHINGTON. Play to win! Don't play not to LOSE!

Come on SKINSSSS! It's not that hard. A Redskin for life!!!

Posted by: liasdavis | December 3, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

And all of us will be reliving the madness we hate now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2009 2:09 PM

Wait, so now Heyer isn't good enough to play LT next season.

So does this mean we should draft a LT in Rd 1 or stick with drafting Spiller?

Posted by: Skins930 | December 3, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

daggar, good point about trading down. We did need WRs and I was good with that, but we didn't need the backup TE. Even with Cooley down and Davis playing, backup TE's are pretty easy to come by in lower rounds or via trade. Yoder has made a good number of plays over the past few years.

Robert Royal who did OK for us is in Cleveland, can't imagine he'd be hard to have gotten for much less than Freddie.

Even though Davis is showing signs of becoming an NFL TE, it wasn't something we needed. That was where the OL pick should have been.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

When looking at the past 2 drafts, we've selected 17 players. I would gladly give everyone of those 17 players up for a very good and young OL. If we had drafted 17 OL and accomplished that, this would be a better team.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

the flux capacitor on my time machine is broke, otherwise I'd suggest we go back and fix what happened 2 years ago.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone name any linemen of the offensive type who were drafted lower than the 4th round and turned out to be any good?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 3, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

why stop at two years ago greg? fix that and you could stop the whole Antonio Pierce debacle. that move cost us at least two SBs.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 3, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

skins930

I keep saying that chances are, Heyer will get an extended chance to be left tackle next year--no matter what we bloggas think.

I think the team will feel that Heyer will make a decent left tackle, and will defer drafting a starting left tackle.

The second pick should go to a college left tackle who gets moved to starting right tackle.

The first pick should go to Spiller.

This is a mix of what I think and what the team tends to do.

Which means none of this will probably happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

hey, you were the one alleging you screamed for Brady back in 2000 on this non-existent blog. Nothing wrong with your flux capacitor ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | December 3, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The Saints have their center and left guard both taken in the 5th round. The right side of the Falcons line went undrafted. There are a bunch of them. Centers, guards, and right tackles are often undrafted or late round picks. If you want names Dan Koppen from the Pats comes to mind. Jared Gaither from the Ravens was a 5th rounder in the supplemental draft. Jason Peters from the Bills was undrafted. Really, just check anyone who has a good line and I bet you find 1 or 2 guys that were late rounders or undrafted.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 3, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

This stinks for Jarmon, but agreed this spending a supplemental pick on him was that rarest of birds, an apparently savvy move by our front office.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse