Jurgensen, Campbell Weigh in ... on Campbell

There's no one I respect more in the Redskins' organization than legendary quarterback and radio analyst Christian Adolph "Sonny" Jurgensen III. The Hall of Famer tells it like it is and stands by his words.

During Sunday's 16-13 victory over the winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers at FedEx Field, I received an email from Dan Steinberg, who wrote that he had been told Sonny called for quarterback Jason Campbell to be replaced by backup Todd Collins. Campbell had a three-turnover (two interceptions and a lost fumble) first half, the Redskins trailed, 10-0, and the crowd booed the Redskins off the field.

I thought there was at least a chance Coach Jim Zorn would make a move, and Jurgensen apparently believed Zorn should.

But Steinberg did not actually hear what Jurgensen said, so I decided not to write anything until I could speak with Jurgensen in the locker room.

I approached Jurgensen between interviews, and he laid it out for me. "I said if it was me, I would have replaced him," Jurgensen said. "But they don't pay me to make those decisions."

To Jurgensen's credit, he told Campbell what he said on the air. Jurgensen had a couple of chilly exchanges with Zorn in the first two weeks about Zorn's play-calling, but it wasn't like that the other day with Campbell, who appreciates it "when people just let you know where they stand," he said. "I was pressing, I was just trying to do too much, and I know I wasn't playing the way I was capable of playing.

"No excuses. I told the guys I was sorry for what was happening, but just to stick with me. I knew it was going to come, I just had to stop pressing. I knew Coach Zorn wouldn't give up on me. We just kept talking and kept working, and it's good to know that there's that trust there. But I'm not surprised if people wanted me out. I heard them out there."

By Jason Reid  |  October 5, 2009; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Predict Redskins-Panthers Result
Next: Redskins to Audition Punters

Comments

We suck...again.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 5, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

2-2

Posted by: kreitmaster | October 5, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

first...i was one who said replace him. ultimately i'm glad they won and glad jason got to move in the right direction instead of having that on his head all week. i'm with you, sonny...

Posted by: songsofpraise | October 5, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Repost:

Enjoyed the chats in Redskins & NFL wrap up, Cindy! Loved your response to Paris, France.. really made me laugh. BTW- I was "Monday Night Football". (lol)

Posted by: RedCherokee | October 5, 2009 1:04 PM

Posted by: RedCherokee | October 5, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

For all of you saying this was the worse 1st half you can remember please refer tot he below link.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 5, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | October 5, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

ryp, you think you have to wait till the bye?? What have you seen so far this year that gives you this impression?? The offense is averaging what 15 points a game, and has done so for the past 20 games, and you want to wait a little while longer?? Really?? what is going to happen between now and then that makes you think things will change?? Are we trading mason for Brady?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Bean has actually come to the reality of this team and not the wait and see optimism....when did hell freeze over? I missed it....

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The Albert Haynesworth watch...

Haynesworth 9 tackles 1 sack through 4 games...

Is that worth $100 Million??

For everyone saying that he is a presence forget that thus far we are worse against the run then last year

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 5, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"Spurrier said he will stick with Ramsey as his starting quarterback, but added: "We've got to make some changes. I can't watch this. Redskins fans can't watch this"

If spurrier realized changes needed to be made after scoring 27 points, why doesn't JZ realize changes need to be made after scoring 16??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

lol, Kevin Sheehan just said the only teams in the league worse than the Skins are the Bucs and Raiders, and fortunately the Skins were playing the Bucs cause there wasn't another team in the league they would have beat playing the way they did yesterday....

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

zj, I've seen enough of jc to know what we have with that guy....enough is enough....time to move on....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Trust me you can have the best GM in football, but if you have a cheap owner you will not win.

Posted by: Flounder21

I wouldn't strictly define the Roony's or Bob Kraft as "cheap" but they are the polar opposites of mindless spendthrifts like Danny.

Yet they win year after year by drafting well, NOT overspending on FA's or to retain vets, and by coaching stability and skill.

So, no matter how you try to spin it, history shows a team has a much better chance of winning with a smart, tightfisted owner than a dumb spendthrift.

And therein lies Problem One.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Wonders never cease......I won't bring up that I've been trying to tell you, I'm just happy you're finally there....

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I'll take that one. The crow is tasty. I don't get why everyone is so surprised that he dropped an INT, but whateves, stew in your own misery.

Posted by: psps23 | October 5, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Good of you to man up.

I'm not surprised that Rogers dropped another pick 6.

It just surprises me that we all know he is a perennial failure when it comes to converting big plays/ints, and yet some would argue that he should be included among the elite CBs in the league.

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I was ready for us to bench Campbell along with everyone else at halftime, but looking back I want to ask this question.

What is worse? Making no mistakes, but making no plays or making mistakes and making plays.

I would rather have Campbell throwing a few picks if that means he will actually try to make some plays. It is a lot better than having no int's and no TD'S.

Posted by: Redskins001 | October 5, 2009 12:47 PM

Reposted:

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 5, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I know its early for this, but can we try and pull the plug on a guy like Rogers, and see what we'd get for him in a trade?? Lets see what Barnes and Tryon can do in his spot.......or smooter for that matter....I'd take a 3rd round pick in exchange for Rogers at this point....not that ANYONE in his right mind would make that trade...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Bean - no, we haven't got better. But its possible that it may just take longer than 20 games for a new coach/new system to shape up. Not to mention the fact that the rest of the team hasn't played that well so far, especially the line. The team is underperforming as a whole, not just JC. I think they deserve at least another few weeks to see if they can turn in the right direction.

Last year, the Saints comeback put us on a run. Sometimes things just click. Do I think it will happen? Not really, but its not impossible.

I understand theres little patience in this organization and with the fans... I'm guilty as well. But JC has gotten a pretty crummy deal in his tenure here and has handled it pretty darn well, and been a decent QB on top of it all. He knows whats on the line this season and the next few games, and so does Zorn.

Its unfortunate, but theyre going to get all the blame one way or another. So let them either succeed or go down in flames. If they fail, then change will be coming...

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 5, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

The hypocrisy of this blog and the media that surrounds it. All this season all we have been hearing is that the Redskins have not allowed JC to take his bumps and bruises like other QB's have. All QB's have had this type of game. Then when JC has a game where he has a lot of bruises we want to bench him, how can you learn what JC is made of if you dont let him play through the rough times.

We all thought that Peyton Manning would never beat NE and then he got it together, Favre has had these types of games, and the list goes on and on, but you have got to let the QB play and see how he responds.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 5, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Redskins001,

There's great wisdom in your question. I have always rooted against the Green Bay Packers and when Farve first started out and he was throwing interceptions all over the place and blowing games, I was LOL.

But now we see what Brett Farve has become. You don't like to see the interceptions and the fumbles, but it may be a necessary evil, more for some than others, on the path to success and greatness.

Terry Bradshaw was horrible when he started out. He was so bad that Jefferson Joe Street took the QB job from him. Joe Williams was a black QB and good. Responsible for some great early Pittsburgh wins to start there Superbowl treak.

It would be easy to say that JC is not a good QB, but along with you, I am not ready to make that easy decision yet.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 5, 2009 1:08 PM |

Repost.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 5, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The "Terrific Trio" of 2008 second rounders COMBINED for one catch for minus one yard yesterday.

Congrats to Malcom Kelly and Devin Thomas for outplaying Fred Davis, who made the one catch for minus one yard.

Who who'd a thunk J. T. Tryon may turn out to be the pick of the litter of last year's draft class.

And you know what? Rino ain't that bad either.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

We need to wait for Rogers to have a good game where he makes a big play. I'm not sure his stock could be any lower right now.

Yesterday he let a pick 6 hit him in the stomach, and the week before he got brutalized by Bryant Johnson on a TD pass.

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

And you know what? Rino ain't that bad either.

Posted by: TheCork | October 5, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

No he's not that bad...

Though it worries me that our best lineman is still Chris Samuels...

Posted by: p1funk | October 5, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 5, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

seriously....did you just compare JC to Peyton Manning? lol.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 5, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

OK Wow..BG and Jacky-Z playing nice...

Maybe time to call off that silly bet, b/c barring injury for Bradshaw that looks like a loser for ol' Beanie....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 5, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

3 interceptions and one fumble against the worst team on the league does not warrant a bench, then what does? This team is doom.

Posted by: hock1 | October 5, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Kelly and Thomas have been disappointments, but sometimes I think JC makes his job harder than it is.

He appears to be unwilling to throw the ball before the WR breaks much of the time, which means the CB gets time to recover if he's beat. If nothing else, he is late with the ball far too often - something else that can make any WR look worse than they are.

JC has a ways to go. Whether he'll make some of those improvements as the year goes on is anyone's guess.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 5, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I shudder when I think of the final score when the Saints come to D.C. in December.

Bean, I'd be all over a fourth and a sixth for Carlos Rogers. Time to cut losses with Rogers and Campbell.

F that '05 draft.

As the season moves along, I'm starting to think that Campbell is more of the problem than Zorn. I beginning to think that Zorn will only run plays that he thinks Campbell is capable of making.

Campbell is ass-cheeks.

Zorn still has his wtf moments too, more than a few actually.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 5, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the group's general sentiment: We've seen enough of Jason Campbell. I think he'd make an above average back-up in this league. But he's not going to be the starting QB on a successful playoff team.

Heck, the Skins' most recent foray into the playoffs came with Todd Collins guiding the team, not Campbell.

So if Zorn really wants to save his job, he'll put in Collins and try to show Snyder that his plays can work if properly executed.

Posted by: drischord | October 5, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Defenses know this about Campbell...

He is a rut passer - if you can keep him from getting going, he rarely gets going. If he gets hot, then you are in trouble. So, the earlier you hit him and take away his toys, the worse he plays.

He's also being tied to an offense that is ill-suited to him. Everyone knows you stop the run and take away Moss and try to take away Cooley. If you accomplish this, no one else on the offense matters. Randle El could get hot, but a clock is always right twice a day too.

Campbell fumbles. Hit him and more than likely you'll win the lottery and be able to take it home for a score.

Campbell will throw interceptions because his players aside from Moss and Cooley are mediocre. In a pass that was similar to the one that #12 allowed to be intercepted in the Sunday game for the 'skins, the Broncos' Brandon Marshall jumped and got the ball and faked scores of Cowpokes out of their jockstraps for a touchdown. Perhaps the INT's aren't Campbell's fault per se, but defenses know you can pick low hanging fruit because Redskin receivers are lazy and have mediocre skills.

Campbell will use the word "pressing" as a way to deflect the real issue - lack of receivers making the effort to get open. And since Campbell internalizes this incorrectly, he will accept blame for receivers who are incompetent. This self-headgame is a wonderful tool to exploit when preventing Jason to get into a rut of success. Diverting him into a rut of poor play is like stealing candy from a baby.

Coaching - game planning is not apparent and it is predictable. You rarely have to worry about play action or screens. Throwing to running backs and other tailbacks is almost nonexistant (even though when used it works for the Redskins!). This predictability will allow defenses to pay more attention on Campbell keys and exploit his apparent issue with self-critique.

I'm glad as a fan that Campbell had a better second half than the first, but then again, his competition was marginal and it didn't take much effort to exploit their issues. The same things that worked in the second half were there in the first but apparently no one dared to open their eyes.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 5, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Watched the 1st half and was as frustrated as anyone. But the team did show some heart to rally. Feeling better this week. By the way how are all the guys that jumped ship last week to root for that expertly run franchise, the Baltimore Ravens? How's that working for you? Bet that this week you'll be Patriot fans. Give Snyder some credit, he did have the brains to fire Norv Turner, ask a Charger fan about that one.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 5, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Tell me, Mr. Mayor, does Jurgensen think that Snyder should sell the team?

Posted by: postwell | October 5, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

good work Sonny. You would have pulled the QB who went on to have the best quarter of his career and win the game. That's smart.

Is this the same guy who was enamoured with Gus Frerotte. Campbell is way better than Frerotte.

10th in yards, better rating than Romo

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 5, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

In the ESPN980 pregame show Jurgenson said this about JC: He fails to anticipate where to throw the ball based on what the defense is showing presnap and immediately after the snap (paraphrasing). This, I believe, is the ultimate problem and is exacerbated by his lengthy delivery. These two problems greatly outweigh his armstrength. On the other hand, I believe that even though Collins has a terrible arm, he has far superior anticipation than JC. This was the reason for his success in the 'skins playoff run, and that is why he would be more successful now. It is time to make the switch before.

Kyle Orton is a current example of how this theory applies. And it is for this reason that McDaniels was willing to trade Cutler to the Bears for Orton rather than to the 'skins for JC.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 5, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 5, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers is virtually untradeable at this point, not because he's a bad player, but because he's in the last year of his contract. Any team that would be willing to give anything of value for him would want him to sign a long-term contract, which he would likely not be willing to do, being on the verge of free agency. And we'd be much better off with Rogers, hands-of-stone and all, than with the inexperienced Barnes or Thomas "Toast" Tryon in his place. In other words, he's worth more to the 'Skins than they could get for him in a trade.

Posted by: rbpalmer | October 5, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

You guys think Lovie Smith was going to bench Cutler in that 4 interception fiasco week 1 against Green Bay? Players have bad weeks, it happens.

Last year he was interceptionless for half the season, and everyone says "hey risk more, make throws you wouldn't normally, I don't care if you get intercepted more if you make the long passes."

Well guess what, JC17 got intercepted AND he got a 59 yard TD pass. It's exactly what we wanted. Hail to him.

Posted by: Keiser | October 5, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

On folks down with Rogers. The CBs, even the good ones, get beat. Rogers is good, not great. Even our great Champ Bailey has gotten torched many times. Remember the cushion he gave everyone on 3rd downs just so they would not go 80 yards for TD?

If the Skins had any pass rush, then Rogers and Hall would be proclaimed Pro Bowlers. We have better CBs than the Giants but the Giants are able to get a very decent pass rush with their front four.

Kevin

Posted by: fearturtle44 | October 5, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey BenchCampbell ..Do you understand football? Haynesworth may not have pretty stats but what he does do is occupy space so others can make tackles and get sacks, he also is playing injured.

Don't let the money ruin your interpretation , he is getting paid market value for this occupation whether he deserves it or not lets try and make it thru the season.

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | October 5, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 5, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Before . . .? Anyway, two points. First, he has already shortened his delivery substantially since he came into the league, to the point where I don't believe that it significantly detracts from his performance. It is no longer appreciablly longer than other QBs who have had success in the league. Second, I agree that Collins does anticipate better, and that this contributed to his successful playoff run under Gibbs. But the team would not be better off with Collins as the starter, because opponents would soon realize, as Seattle did in the playoffs that year, that he doesn't have the arm strength to effectively throw the intermediate (10-20 yard) sideline patterns. Their DBs lined up to the inside of our WRs, forcing everything to the outside. When Collins threw to the outside, the balls took too long to get there, giving their DBs enough time to break on the ball and almost make several interceptions. Teams would do the ame this year if Collins was made the starter.

Posted by: rbpalmer | October 5, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Talk about humility..

Posted by: DesiHungama | October 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Sonny was right to say Campbell should of been replaced, any other team but the Bucs and the Skins would have lost.. Sonny just underestimated how bad the Bucs were. No matter Campbell dodged the bullet this time but tougher teams are coming.. I still believe Collins will get a shot at some point and the Skins will be a better team when he does...

Posted by: sovine08 | October 5, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping the skins lost that game,cuz trust me if we had lost it would have been bye bye JZ and JC17!!! O well better luck next week! GO SKINS!!!!

Posted by: akprotv | October 5, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys, you can blame this one on Campbell b/c this is his only bad game this year but you have to look at the big picture. We were picked last in the division, we are only 2-2, things can change quickly in the NFL. Campbell is a good QB and if the line plays well the offense will score points. No 17 isn't Brady or Manning, but he's at worst Dilfer. He can hand the ball off and run the offense efficiently. Of course thats hard to type after sunday's game...

Posted by: Mooncricket | October 6, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse