Suisham surprised at release

Just got off the phone with place kicker Shaun Suisham, who obviously expressed disappointment about being released today and said he was surprised by the move.

"Unfortunately, this seems to be the life of a kicker," said Suisham, who had a late miss in Sunday's 33-30 overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints. "I'm in my fifth year now. I had worked my way in my second year to settle down with Washington and I feel like I solidified the kicking position, which had been uncertain here for quite some time. There's nobody that's more disappointed about missing that kick than I am.

"But one kick certainly doesn't define me nor should it. But that's just the way it goes sometimes. I leave here with my head held very high. I came to love this area and the people who are here and the organization. Working with [special teams coordinator] Danny Smith has been great. I learned a lot from him and it was a great experience for me. I'm disappointed, obviously, but it has been a pleasure to be here."

The Redskins released Suisham and signed Graham Gano, who kicked most recently for Las Vegas of the UFL, to a three-year contract after kicking tryouts today at Redskins Park. The move was made two days after Suisham's missed chip-shot field goal contributed to the overtime loss to the Saints at FedEx Field. With 1 minute 56 seconds remaining in regulation, the Redskins lined up for a 23-yard field goal attempt that would have extended their lead to 10 points. The ball sailed wide right.

Suisham also missed two field goals (from 39 and 50 yards) in a 7-6 loss to the Dallas Cowboys in Week 11. Suisham made his first 12 field goal attempts after holding off Dave Rayner in a kicking competition during camp and has converted 18 of 21 (85.7 percent) overall.

"I'm 18 of 21, the most accurate kicker of the history of the franchise with over 100 attempts and I'm released after a missed kick. But that is the way the business goes," Suisham said. "And I put myself in that situation because I missed a kick, absolutely. My hope now is that somebody's interested in a guy who's [85.7] percent on the year coming to their team."

The Redskins are 3-9, management failed to adequately address the offensive line in the offseason and there have been major unforeseen breakdowns on defense. Suisham acknowledges he did not deliver in key moments against the Cowboys and Saints, but he believes he should not shoulder all the blame for those two losses.

"But my thoughts and opinions don't matter because I don't make decisions," he said. "As a player, my job is to kick when and I'm asked to kick. As a kicker, when you miss a kick, you leave yourself susceptible to this kind of thing happening.

"It's just how it goes, I guess. It's been a while for me since I have been released but it's certainly isn't anything I'm not familiar with. It's something I'll deal with fine. It's just time for a new chapter in my life."

Although Suisham has to wait and see if another team claims him off waivers, he expects to kick in the NFL again soon.

"I'll probably be as surprised if I don't end up with a team by the end of the season as I was to get cut today," he said. "To be perfectly honest, I'm just real sad to be leaving right now."

By Jason Reid  |  December 8, 2009; 2:56 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis placed on IR list
Next: Rosenhaus optimistic about Portis' Redskins future

Comments

Shaun, those were huge misses. But yeah, if this was abut accountability, you wouldn't have been the 1st to go. Vinny and Zorn would have gone first, LL would have been benched. Then you'd get cut.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

_____
Does seem like a kinda knee jerk reaction move. The Skins are 3-9, there are only 4 games left and they are out of the playoffs.. what's the point? Seems to me is let the guy finish the season maybe he can redeem himself. Also I number of other guys screwed up also.. yet nothing is happening to them. A needless move if yu ask me.

Posted by: sovine08 | December 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

When you're 3-9, does it make any sense to cut an 86% FG kicker?

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | December 8, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

good riddance

Posted by: fawcett007 | December 8, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I support Suisham. He absolutely should of made that kick but he didn't lose the game. The Skins were up 7pts still. Why is he the only person being held accountable - and yes, he is the only person because he's being cut. Further, he's 18 of 21. If you ask anybody if they want a kicker that's 18 of 21, 10 out of 10 people would say yes. He's not perfect, he made a huge missed, but there are about 5 plays that could of changed the game.

1) Zorn could of tried to win the game and score td's in their own redzone instead of calling 3 run plays (esp. when Campbell was unstoppable passing)

2) Missed easy FG
3) Campbell with INT
4) Sellers's so called "fumble"
5) Landry's 2 double move bites

So don't tell me it's all the kicker. The organization clearly wanted someone to take the blame. What happened to win as a team and lose as a team?

Posted by: pchau26 | December 8, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

OMFG!!!

This is that Frosty post who contacted JLaC all over again!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 8, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

This was yet another boneheaded move by our FO. I know most of you do not agree with me but I'm truly sad about this.

Suisham is a WONDERFUL guy - very involved in the community (was part of the children's holiday shopping trip last week AND the Thanksgiving event to name a few). He spent most of the summer here working by himself on his kicking. Absolutely CLASS ACT guy. He has only missed 3 field goals all season - and one of them was 50 something yards. Nick Folk in Dallas has missed 5 of his last 10 and still has a job.

With 4 flippin' weeks to go, this idiotic management decides to make the kicker the goat to "show accountability"????? Insane!

This after they tried to trade our QB away all offseason, brought in a new set of eyes, emasculated the coach RIGHT before MNF which made us the laughingstock of the sports world and now they cut a kicker to show accountability?????

In 4 weeks they are going to let our QB walk away when he is playing his best football and we will be stuck with what? A rookie QB - probably from Notre Dame - who they most likely will draft with our first round pick.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 8, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Suisham is this years version of David Akers...at 3-9 it makes zero sense to cut him....but that's just the Skins being the Skins though... He will have a long, productive career. Hopefully it won't be in the NFC East. Good luck SS.

Posted by: dchandl3 | December 8, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

seems like an unneccesary distraction when you are 3-9 and there are other people who should be let go first. either way shaun screwed the pooch on this one and with the exception of his performance against the Jets in 2007, he has failed to perform in the clutch situations.

he is 86% but I would like to see his numbers in the 4th quarter, Overtime, above 40 and 50 yards, and when the game was close.

Posted by: goose33 | December 8, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

zJack, PASkins, edvar, 49ers are 9th in letting their QB be hit and 8th in letting him get sacked ... which makes a body wonder why Alex Boone remains on the 49ers practice squad ...

In other news, the NFL site now posts a new statistic ... wait for it (I have for 5-6 years now) ... OFFENSIVE LINE STATS

Posted by: dcsween | December 8, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

If we can only lose out, we will have the #5 pick locked up

Posted by: noonefromtampa | December 8, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Field goal kickers are paid to make pressure kicks. Suisham was a complete failure at that. Goodbye, Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out loser.

Posted by: VegasJim | December 8, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

look at the Colts who had Mike Vanderjagt the most accurate kicker in the history of the game. they released him for Adam Vinateri a guy with good accuracy but who could perform in the CLUTCH.

Vanderjagt blew a kick in the playoffs against the Steelers and that was it. Where is he now? Did any other teams give a damn about his percentage when he was a free agent? Good luck Shaun but kickers are head cases and one shank like this will be in their mind for the rest of his career.

Posted by: goose33 | December 8, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Stop defending the guy, its not all him, but an nfl kicker can't miss crucial 20 yarders, any 20 yarders for that matter

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 8, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Poor JReid. Sorry this happened to you.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 8, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Are you guys kidding me?!?! The missed kick against Seattle in the playoffs. The missed kicks in Dallas and the chip shot on Sunday. Why he was on the team this long mindboggles me. He sucks

Posted by: BA7701 | December 8, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Suisham won't clear waivers.

Posted by: dcsween | December 8, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN: "Tiger's Mother-In-Law Taken To Hospital"

Them Sweeds is supposed to be liberal-minded about sex but I would imagine she was starting to feel a tad uncomforatble when the AA (alleged affair) count hit the neighborhood of 9 (per Conan last night), don't you think?

Posted by: TubularBells | December 8, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

When you have to win your position at the end of training camp in a nail biter competition, you did not "solidify the position"

Posted by: AdamCr | December 8, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

This guy just doesn't get it.....

REMEMBER Mike Vanderjagt...The most accurate kicker of ALL FREAKIN TIME???!!!?

I F'd up one crucial kick was out the freakin door.....Talk about burning your bridges dude!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 8, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

It does make sense to cut him
i was there on sunday
his kickoffs never got past the 10
and he barely ever makes kicks past 45, like, i understand it's far to kick and most kickers arent very accurate from that far out, but between the terrible kickoffs (devin thomas, in fact, saved a touchdown return on one that got returned) and the absolute lack of clutch...guy had to go...

also, i know there are only 4 games left, but let's at least audition a new guy to see how he does as opposed to just string along the same guy we knew we were going to cut, anyway...i'd say the same about campbell, but we have no one else who can just fill in at qb

Posted by: cotelloer | December 8, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Even he doesnt understand that it wasn't "one" kick. He missed a freakin extra point that could have won the game as well.

Posted by: vze2bnyf | December 8, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 8, 2009 3:50 PM

Lisa does not subscribe to my mantra of "Apathy"...

Posted by: 4-12 | December 8, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 8, 2009 3:50 PM
Lisa-

He's was terrible last year, missed 3 crucial kicks, KO's are short, and has no range.

If they would have brought in a re-tread then I'd agree slightly with you, however they are bringing in young guy auditioning to be the long-term kicker with a big leg.

Since when is a big leg a bad thing?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

He just wasn't any "Money" kicker and his leg wasn't that strong either.

Posted by: Monkman63 | December 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Suisham's naive if he was truly surprised. And he's disingenuous to blame it on "one missed kick." His kickoffs suck, he can't make long field goals, and he loses leg strength during the season. And, he's missed multiple clutch field goals.

I was also disappointed that I didn't read anything in his statement about missing the other players on the team. Usually you say that, even if you don't mean it. "It's not about me. It's about the guys."

Let the Graham Gano Era begin! Long may it wave -- right through the middle of the uprights.

Posted by: League-Source | December 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Suisham had to go

Suisham is building a history of FG gaffs WHEN UNDER PRESSURE - the recent Dallas misses, especially the easier miss (first attempt) was far worse than the late 50yard attempt.

Then of course there is Sundays debacle and PLEASE 85% success compared to WHAT - what is Suishams FG percentage when UNDER PRESSURE ???

FEW will remember (Even Suisham it seems) the 2007 PLAYOFF game against the Seahawkes. Redskins down 13-0. Redskins score after a long drive. 13-7 (Seahawkes). Next series INTERCEPTION and the Skins go ahead 13-14.

4th Qtr 12:38 remaining in the game - Momentum ALL Redskins - Skins kickoff and RECOVER the ball and drive into FG Range

4th Qtr 11:41 Suisham MISSES 30 yards FG - MOMENTUM KILLER

Redskins fall apart and lose 35-14

I wonder what would have happened if Suisham makes that kick to take a 17-13 lead (and scoring 17 points in a row) with only 11 mins in Q4 remaining ???

DESPITE ALL THIS - making Suisham the scapegoat for ALL THE OTHER BONEHEAD PLAYS against the saints - is not the answer either

Interception - re-picked by Saints for TS SECONDS before halftime

Campbells INTERCEPTION

OFFENSIVE HOLDING call when Campbell hit Moss - instead of 2-6 it's now 1-20. Interception by Campbell was a result of Holding Penalty

Landry "Double Move" Blues

Sellers FUMBLE

And on and on and on and on it goes

Suisham had to go BUT THAT IS JUST THE BEGINNING - the Skins Suck from top to bottom

Posted by: tele1 | December 8, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Get over it. What use is a kicker who can't make any critical kicks? He's been poor at kickoffs as well. True that he's a nice guy but it's all about business.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 8, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

whateves...like it matters.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 8, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

When you're 3-9, does it make any sense to cut an 86% FG kicker?

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | December 8, 2009 3:45 PM

WTF??!?! Do you watch the games. People are eaching idiot mode in this MoFo. Percentages don't count! Like when people brings up JC17 accuracy....That sh!t means nothing nothing unless you can win games in the 4th QTR.

Swiss HAm misses kicks when they count. Point Blank. He was the worst kicker last year PERCENTAGE WISE! We are 3-9! His range STOPS at 47/48 yards. Dude was getting paid $80grand a week to do this. And he is a stupid kicker....get over it! You, him, and JReid......

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 8, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

the Skins Suck from top to bottom

Posted by: tele1 | December 8, 2009 4:00 PM

Yeah, the old Deep Throat. Best way to suck.

Posted by: League-Source | December 8, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Boneheaded move by Vinny and Danny. Why wasn't Laron Landry cut - now he really sucks. At least Shaun has proven himself. Maybe if the season was on the line, but for what?!!! So we could be 4-8, rather than 3-9. Great move Vinny and Danny. Proven once again what boneheaded,ignorant football people you are.

Get the hell out of this town!

Posted by: cfrazier91 | December 8, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Since when is a big leg a bad thing?

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 3:59 PM |

When it a Greg Oden leg.

Posted by: TubularBells | December 8, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Now Greg Oden, there is a cat I feel sorry for.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 8, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

He fails under pressure and is thus a liability if we ever go to the playoffs again. This was the right thing to do.

At least he's classy about it, I hope someone picks him up, like Dallas. That way even if the hold is good, they might still blow a FG and lose in the playoffs haha.

Posted by: REXskins | December 8, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

The problem with the WaPo writers is that they treat the players as if they were WalMart or Home Depot employees being needlessly laid off.

These guys are making 6 and in most cases 7 figures to play a game. When they don't come through in the clutch, they're cut.

Get over it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 8, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Instead of replacing the kicker, they should completely remove Zorn from making game decisions. Zorn said that he didn't want to risk going for a TD near the saints 10 yard line on 1st and goal. He constantly settles for field goals instead of going for the kill to put oppenents away and the team has lost everytime. He decided to kick a FG on 3rd down vs Dallas; he also went with a FG against Philly. He'll make the same wimp a$$ call week after week because he has no balls.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | December 8, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I still have a dog in this fight (no frm Bad Newz Kennelz)....

We need to go 2-2 to salvage my Fifth of REmy......

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 8, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

beeps.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 8, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

instead of replacing the kicker, they should completely remove Zorn from making game decisions. Zorn said that he didn't want to risk going for a TD near the saints 10 yard line on 1st and goal. He constantly settles for field goals instead of going for the kill to put opponents away and the team has lost everytime. He'll make the same wimp a$$ call week after week because he has no balls.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | December 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

People 4th is just upset I swept him in fantasy football this season....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The Suisham cutting was NOT about the Saint game. It was about the Dallas game, it was about short kickoffs, it was about kick offs out of bounds. Bill Parcells would have cut him on the way back to the bench Suunday afternoon and deactivated his Redskins Park swipe card.

It is a message, small message to all...don't do your job, don't have a job.

Next up should be #s 22, 26, 27, 30

Posted by: sanantonioredskin | December 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

It is a message, small message to all...don't do your job, don't have a job.

Next up should be #s 22, 26, 27, 30

Posted by: sanantonioredskin | December 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"When you're 3-9, does it make any sense to cut an 86% FG kicker?"

Like I was sayin'......

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

That 86% number Suisham is trying to pump up is probably the same percentage of guys in the locker room who are happy to see him go.

Which game was it that he kicked 2 consecutive kickoffs out of bounds in the second half?

Good riddance.

Posted by: saltine182 | December 8, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

tele1- Thanks for mentioning the 2007 playoff game vs. the Seahawks. I completely forgot about that. What a momentum killer that was. Bottom line is this guy's kickoffs are short and he can't make any clutch kicks... not to mention very SHORT clutch kicks.

Suisham's a great guy but I'm glad he's no longer our kicker.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 8, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

We need to go 2-2 to salvage my Fifth of REmy......

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 8, 2009 4:05 PM

Buy lottery tickets. That will give you better odds of putting some brandy in your snifter.

Posted by: League-Source | December 8, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

They've been wanting to fire someone for months now. It's like shooting the janitor. Makes someone upstairs feel large and in charge. Accomplishes nothing. In fact, come next year (hell, this year is over anyways) they'll be hard pressed to have a pro-bowl caliber guy doing the kicking for them. A 3-9 team cutting a solid kicker with 4 games to go. Too damn funny. Skins Park is HQ for Clowns Central.

Posted by: TheDubb | December 8, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 8, 2009 4:01 PM

Becareful 4th, don't bang on the sacred cow, that is JC. I think dcwun is typing as we speak.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Get the hell out of this town!

Posted by: cfrazier91

Shaun's proven himself in what way? He's never been able to make a clutch kick when he's had the opportunity...

If we were to cut Laron, who would we replace him with?

Posted by: rachel216 | December 8, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so Suisham missed that field goal, and he should have made it. No argument there... HOWEVER, is everyone forgetting that we were still UP by seven points??? Should they now fire the entire defense, because they didn't prevent that last touchdown drive by the Saints? There are systemic problems with the Redskins that have nothing to do w/ Suisham... we have a lot of talent, but no leadership... and when Zorn orginally came to Washington and wanted to whip people into shape, he was beaten down for it by Snyder... Snyder needs to stop emasculating every coach he hires, expecting them to build a disciplined football team, without given them the power to do so...

Posted by: noreenmhill | December 8, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheDubb

Solid Kicker? The dude was the WORST kicker in the league last year. And it wasn't just the one kick. The Dallas game is another. Kicking a 50 field goal isndoors is basically like kicking a 43 yarder outside. He should have made 39 yarder too.

Nice guy but.....

Posted by: dcwun | December 8, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: League-Source | December 8, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

noreenmhill- True... Laron was burned by the double move, but the Saints have the best offense in the league.. they're kinda hard to stop.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 8, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"This was yet another boneheaded move by our FO."

No it's not, if they would have kept the guy that would have been the "bonehead move."

He by himself lost TWO games this year for the Redskins (Dallas and NO)and has been inconsistent at best in his tenure here in DC.

Kickers are a dime a dozen in the NFL, very easily replaced. A kicker has ONE responsibility in the NFL and that is to put it through the uprights...thats it!

Suisham is a marginal kicker at best and looked like a deer in headlights right before he whiffed on that kick. He does it/did it regularly.

Now saying that Sellers, Landry, and Campbell should ALL be cut as well. Weekly they make BAD plays....WEEKLY! and they are still on the team.

All three of the above players make weekly bad plays on this team and they helped contribute to the Skins losing this past Sunday to NO and they are still on the roster.

Why???? None of those guys would start on any other team in the NFL....period.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 8, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The season is over, why not make it fun? Snyder should buy some square-toe kicking shoes and let Haynesworth and Big Mike Williams take turns kicking field goals during games.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 8, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Suisham did win the Rams and Bucs games this year with his kicks.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 8, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, it was 23 yards with the game on the line. Plus the Dullass game. Plus he hasn't built a very impressive resume. Plus, how many kos has he sent out of bounds this year? This obviously isn't a critical move that's got us suddenly headed in the right direction, but no way should he be surprised.

Posted by: closer44 | December 8, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping they'd sign Ovechkin. at least he made his 23 yard FG a couple months ago. Let's go Caps!

Posted by: blushfilms | December 8, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Percentages don't matter if you miss the big ones... unfortunately, he single handedly cost us 2 games... We could forgive the Dallas game, but he can't miss a 23 yard field goal & then it's business as usual this week. There had to be a message sent & who easier to cut than the kicker.

I mean, the game had everything... Devin Thomas coming out party... Campbell played probably the best game of his career, etc etc... You can't let a kicker miss a 23 yard field goal, spoil the game for all those plays that will now count for nothing... You cut him, period.

Posted by: tony325 | December 8, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

sweez, we had some good years, but time for you to go. now beat it.

Posted by: jpfterps | December 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

When Has he made a Game Winning Kick? I can think of one. Twice in Three weeks he missed game winning kicks. Plus MANY HUGE kicks during his time here. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: ryan_conaway | December 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

When Has he made a Game Winning Kick? I can't think of one. Twice in Three weeks he missed game winning kicks. Plus MANY HUGE kicks during his time here. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: ryan_conaway | December 8, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're cutting every clown who's lost a game for us, how did I miss the message about Cerrato getting fired?

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | December 8, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

yes its about time ur gone u sucked should of never been on the team in the first place yet u made 12 in a row this year but haw many years did u suck ass and u lost 2 games for us this year u dont do nothing but kick atleast make them when it counts

Posted by: croniccured | December 8, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Mixed feelings. I think his comments were classy and I wish him the best, but the national media is treating this like one kick. Of course that's not true, and it even goes beyond the Cowboy game. There's also the separate matter of ko's, where Swish consistently kicks them short and had more than his share of out of bounds ones. The Skins aren't playing well enough to hand that kind of field position to opponents.

Posted by: messykat | December 8, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The reason he is the most accurate kicker in our history is because we realized he is awful past like 40 yards so we never kicked unless it was close. Once he showed us twice this year that he can't make the big kick, even if it was close, we had to let him go. He has to be one of the worst longball kickers in the league.

Posted by: Pbonds | December 8, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Also, to Goose: Minor correction. Vander Jagt was signed asap by the Cowboys. In fact, it might have been the roster move that sent Swish to us.

Posted by: messykat | December 8, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Nice guy, but at that distance it has to be automatic. No choking.

Posted by: Trout1 | December 8, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Why are you so surprised, Shaun? You practically threw Sunday's game away. Tell me, how much they paid you under the table, hmmmm???

Posted by: sjcsando | December 8, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

can anyone remember the last time there was a touchback on a kick-off?? Not to mention the stupidity of a kick-off going out of bounds a few weeks ago (I can't remember which game). I think giving up good field position on a kick-off starts with the kicker and how he kicks it.

Posted by: wescaddle1 | December 8, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Typical Redskins decision-making. They deserve to be losers. Blaming the kicker for that loss is as ridiculous as the whole Redskins organization. They made one guy the sacrificial lamb when the loss was more related to a fluke play caused by a fumble by No. 41, Seller's fumble, a secondary that can't handle the double move, and a few other bonehead mistakes. Suisham was not the cause of the loss. What experience does the new kicker have in the NFL? The Redskins are truly an organization in chaos and deserve to lose every game to finish the season.

Posted by: hydroron | December 8, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Suisham wasn't perfect and yeah, he is something of a scapegoat, yeah, he deserved to be cut, and yeah, that's the nature of the business as he said. This is the life he has chosen.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | December 8, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

We'll see Suisham again, big time. Here's what's gonna happen, next season if not this one: having signed on with an NFL team, Suisham kicks a field goal to defeat the Snyderskins. GM/owner Snyder and coach Vinnie Cerrato claim that Suisham left the team at his own request.

Posted by: AncientTerp | December 8, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

weren't they looking at kickers in the pre-season anyway or was that punters? Whatever happened to kickers like Mark Mosely? That dude was a superstar in Washington.. gotta love them fries!

Posted by: wescaddle1 | December 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree with some people here who have pointed out that his range stinks. Skins don't even TRY fieldgoals that are 45 yards or more. They go for it on 4th down instead.

Sure he's 85%, because the skins never go for long kicks with him.

Posted by: gclyde | December 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

to hell with the redskins.
they will never be a winning team until they stop making stupid decisions and stop using good players as scapegoats.
how soon the fans forget that until recently shaun was the only one putting points on the board.

Posted by: x4378x | December 8, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

hit the road jack and don't look back. u get paid to do one thing and u choke. yours was'nt the only mistake, but it was the big mistake. good riddance!

Posted by: icebluekoolaid1 | December 8, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Its obviously not about real accountability. Its about the show. "Mr. Daniel M. Snyder" in his naive napoleanic mode, thinks he will show good faith to the fans by firing a scapegoat.

If Snyder wanted to show real accountability, he'd have fired his pull-toy, Vinnie long ago.

Posted by: AWWNats | December 8, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

The Washington football franchise (won't call them by their racist name) should be ashamed of themselves for firing a perfectly good kicker like Suisham. I hope he finds much success with a classier organization.

This the same boneheaded strategy of stripping Zorn of his play-calling duties.

God this team makes it hard to root for them!

Posted by: jmarks09 | December 8, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm not blaming SS for everything and I wish him well in the future (in the AFC, hopefully). But you could tell be some of the comments after the game Sunday that his teammates had lost confidence in him. And once that happens, the handwriting is on the wall.

Posted by: StevefromSacto | December 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of Skins fans complaining about ownership like we can change that. Fans are still going to the games, still buying merchandise, etc. So Snyder won't be giving up this cash cow anytime. We just can't quit the Skins.. we won't be changing our name and we probably won't be changing anything in the off season except getting offensive linemen and a new QB if Campbell refuses to resign. Zorn/Shermy will still be there, Portis may still be there if he doesn't decide to retire, but in all honesty, don't look for a shakeup and stop acting like you have a say in ownership because you don't. Love 'em or leave 'em!

Posted by: wescaddle1 | December 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I wanted him cut because the drive home from the game sucked b/c of him. Agree with those on here who know a kicker can't keep surviving missing clutch and easy FGs. That Suisham himself doesn't get it is part of his problem maybe--when has a kicker EVER been safe at his job if he has multiple misses. He came off like a nice guy, but pretty naive, almost to the point of stupidity. Also, is he trying to say he's better than Moseley?

Posted by: brad40 | December 8, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

To Jmarks09:

" The Washington football franchise (won't call them by their racist name)..."
------------------------------------
Try educating yourself before shooting off your mouth. This idea has been dispelled many, many times.

Posted by: AWWNats | December 8, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"The Washington football franchise (won't call them by their racist name) should be ashamed of themselves for firing a perfectly good kicker like Suisham."

**Oh gee, you're such a sophisticated and classy guy, so above the rest of us. You know, Native Americans were polled about the name and it came up nearly 60% were fine with it. The name came from the Boston Tea Party colonists who dressed up like Indians when they dumped the tea. The Skins started in Boston in 1932. It's not racist, you PC muddlehead. PC is ignorance dressed up in smug, phony intellect.

Posted by: brad40 | December 8, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Correction: 90 percent are fine with the name REDKSINS. Go ahead and say it, Lib--REDSKINS

Posted by: brad40 | December 8, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

why does reid talk ad nausem about "failing to address the oline" in every post. we get it! jeez nevermind that the line looked good against gregg williams.

suisham was awful last year and would always have terrible KICKOFFS when the pressure was on and the skins needed to pin somebody back into their own territory. these last games are a good audition for somebody, hopefully gano.

im waiting for the shawn springs piece from reid when bellicheat cuts him the day after the season ends.

Posted by: drewkinnear | December 8, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Suisham has his problems but cutting him now is more evidence of why Redskins fans have zero faith in Snyder and Cerrato.

Much like the head coach hiring fiasco that culminated the Zorn surprise, this is a bush league meaningless gesture that fools no real fan.

I fail to see what is gained at this point in the season unless this Gano guy (soon to be Guano after a missed kick or two) has got pro bowl HOF potential and the Skins needed to snap him up before other teams did. Somehow, I doubt it.

I am enjoying the better play of the team and rooting for the players that are playing their guts out but the downside is Synderatto appears to be using it to set the stage for "see, we were right" and more years of utter lunacy.

Unless the season ends with the hiring of a professional GM and top notch front office and removal of Cerrato to a place where he can do no harm, I will continue to have no hope for the Skins and no interest in going to games or buying anything skins related.

Very very sad. It is not the losing so much (the fight to get better is part of the fun) as it is the losing with no hope, plan, or direction combined with lack of commitment to unglamorous players like linemen (Hey Snyder,we worshiped the Hogs for darn good reasons) and lack of depth due to overpayment of certain players.

I once never never missed a game at RFK and FEDEX and used to record every game to watch over again. Now I hardly bother to watch even once.

Posted by: mi-ti-bear | December 8, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Nice person or not, this was a long time coming, never should have made the team after last year. Now the team can move in the right direction and I hope the new kicker will be good in the Clutch. Lets think about winning in the future, and do away with all this, Oh he's a nice guy crap, I want people on this team who make them winners, Not Nice Guys. Thank you !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Cutting Suisham was a no-brainer of a move. He's missed too many clutch kicks over the years. This miss was just the last straw. Kickers need to make kicks with the game on the line and he consistently hasn't.

Posted by: canyonjunkie | December 8, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Jim "Field Goal Loving" Zorn, take your timid a$$, 'lack of balls' back to the west coast. Oh, and take your sad a$$ version of the west coast offense with you.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | December 8, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Shaun Suisham missed field goals would not have been a issue ( or attempted) if we had a HC with some heart and killer instinct. 3rd and 1 at the dallas 21 with 15 seconds on the clock, wimp ass decides to kick a FG than take a shot at the end zone.(missed) Wimp ass decides to kick a FG against the eagles, we know how that game ended. 1st & goal at the saints 10 Wimp ass decides to settle for a field goal ( we know how that game ended. Week after week, the same wimp ass decisions.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | December 8, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Suisham, I may not be the most knowledgeable about matters of football but I do know what I saw this year. For much of the first half of the season, you were the only one putting points up on the board.

This last game, you were not the only one making serious mistakes. First, the Defense gave up 33 points. If they had even prevented one of those field goals or a touchdown, history would be different. Second, there's the problem with the 2nd quarter interception/fumble that cost us 7 points, which was not your fault at all.

No, this is the case that this is the best game that your team has had. In spite of that, they still loss. Somebody had to pay for it. Management decided that someone was you.

I wish you luck in your future endeavors. I'm rooting for you (as long as you're not playing against us.)

Posted by: JoStalin | December 8, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

S.S. You're darn right, one kick doesn't define you! It's short kickoffs, a pattern of missed pressure kicks. And the way we need a defibrillator on standby every time you enter the game with an important kick to take!! You're just not prime-time, maybe you'll grown into it..just not here

Posted by: Donald8 | December 8, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Should have made the chip shot kick? ---Absolutely!

Should have been let go for it? --- No way!

I don't understand how Danny Boy and Vinnie operate. They are not "football men" to say the least. They certainly aren't logical nor clear-headed when it comes to making football decisions.

At least for Shaun, his days can only get brighter now that he is no longer a part of this forsaken franchise. Wishin' you and your family all the best, Shaun. I'll be rootin' for you when you get hooked up with another team.

Hey Shaun, maybe the 'Boys will pick you up and you can kick the game winner on Dec 27th!! Your a great kicker! See you in the news...

Posted by: spidermonkey | December 8, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Total nonsense to cut him now. What about the other players that have cost us games. If the team was 9-3 well that's different but being 3-9 and cutting him now is so stupid and so unfair. Our front office can't get anything right. Cutting Suisham doesn't make us fans feel any better either!! There better be some cuts from the top come January!

Posted by: MM11 | December 8, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

jmarks09 what a friggin moron you are. Are you drunk on thunder juice. Get off these comments Tonto.

Posted by: BigDaddyLongStroke | December 8, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Unfair or not he lasted a day longer than I thought he should have,to bad more players and personnel are not held more accountable.

Posted by: curly44 | December 8, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

85.7% FG Accuracy

??.?% FG Accuracy in clutch situations (I'm guessing less than 10%)

He should of been able to make the FG kicking with his opposite foot, both hands tied behind his back, blind-folded with the laces IN!!

He is dismal in the clutch and deserved his fate.

FACT: If we would have cut him last week, New Orleans would no longer be undefeated right now!

Posted by: filmchis | December 8, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Stop whinning, sell your house and GET THE HELL OUT OF TOWN!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | December 8, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Shaun saved several games people forget about that. I think Shaun is leaving with dignity and has a passion for DC, the fans and the team. I don't think that DC deserves him and he will be much better off in another organization. He is being ridiculed for defending himself and speaking honestly, you just can't win around here. Yes he makes a lot of money just as all NFL players do but I doubt it is as much as those players who are truly accountable for the many mistakes this season. For the fans to throw him under the bus and not hold the entire team accountable is ignorant. Good luck Skins with your new kicker (I already feel sorry for him) he better not miss one kick ("because percentages don't matter"). Graham Gano who had one day of tryouts. I have been a Skins fan since I can remember. This year has made me question it not only because of the organization but because of the type of fans the team seems to attract.

Posted by: Tropics | December 8, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

To me, KO's make more difference over the course of a season than a few field goals. When you consistently give the other team good field position after KO's, you are always playing from a hole. If you will look here: http://tinyurl.com/yzfrl4c, you will see that Washington is LAST in the league in average kickoffs - 10 YARDS less than Indy's! - and has only 5 touchbacks all season. A number of teams are in the 20's! Add in those indefensible out of bound kicks against Denver. I'm sure SS was and is a nice guy, but as a kicker he stinks and had to go. (And for the record, he stunk in 2008 too and shouldn't even have been on the teamthis year).

Posted by: jksesq1 | December 8, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

It amazes me how many of us still care about this team enought to comment. I quess, like many of you, I will be a Skins fan through thick and thin. Very thin. Suisham had a good percentage when it didn't matter. He choked when it was on the line. He did it last year. I hope they move some more folks in the offseason. There are some good players on this team, which is starting to look like a team. Keep the heart and soul players, get some linemen in the draft, get some linemen through free agency and let some of the bad apple superstars go. We could be alright next year if the owner and his no talent GM don't fck it up.

Posted by: coastallp74 | December 8, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tropics, go wipe Swisshams jizz off your mouth.

Posted by: BigDaddyLongStroke | December 8, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

If i'm not mistaken it was shaun who cost us a playoff game a few years ago against seattle. if he was such a good kicker, why is there competition for his job every off season. Pack your bags homie

Posted by: I_95 | December 8, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

It's not about retribution for a missed field goal. It's about whether the Redskins get better with a different kicker. And making the move now means that they get four games to see if Gano can get the job done.

Posted by: ElJocko | December 8, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

When the kicks you missed were those in games team lost by 1 and 3 pts., you should be the blame since your job is kicking the field goals and put up points for the whole team. You missed them and the team lost, what do you expect ? Get paid to be a back-up kicker. I don't know if any team trust you when the game is on the line. You haven't proved it yet. Good luck to you though and thanks for your tenure here.

Posted by: gbui | December 8, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Another brilliant management decision by the Redskin's crack brain trust.

Good job dumping the most accurate kicker in Redskin's history.

If only Cerrato missed the kick...

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | December 8, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Suisham is better off playing for another team, one that has a better future than this team. He makes good money, is young, and has a successful track record. He'll soon be kicking the winning FG AGAINST us, just the way it goes with the Redskins.

Posted by: bfjam | December 8, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't anyone find it odd that Coach Zorn apparently was left out of the loop on this? Cerrato, Snyder's hatchetman, and Snyder are the ones involved in this release. I have no problem with the kicker's release. But this again shows us that Zorn is a dead man walking in this chamber of horrors. Any coach worth his salt would never ever dare take this job. Never. As long as these two clowns are muscling in on key decisions.

Posted by: royhobbs56 | December 8, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Surprised? I would have cut him after the Dallas game. A kicker is there to make kicks when the game is on the line and Suisham is woefully inept at making - evene a chip shot - kick when it matters.

Posted by: mjwies11 | December 8, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

This move came straight from Snyder. Count on it.

If Portis had fumbled five times in a game would they have brought in five running backs to audition? If Haynesworth did ten of his beached whale type moves on the ground ten times in a game would they cut him?

Of course not. This poor guy was the most accurate kicker in the history of the franchise. Watch this backfire on Snyder.

Posted by: MKadyman | December 8, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

If only Cerrato missed the kick...

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | December 8, 2009 8:11 PM

------

Even Cerrato would have made THAT kick.

Posted by: filmchis | December 8, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

What a classic classless Snyder move. What a dopey POS Redskins have for an owner.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 8, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

His "kicks made" percentage may be a result of kicking short field goals because the Skins can get to the red zone but can't get it into the end zone. I'm curious to know what the average length of his attempts are compared to what the NFL average is. Besides that, his kickoffs were brutally short and he can't kick(and rarely attempted) long field goals.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | December 8, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey he just doesn't make the key FGs. The rest of the team manages to stagger to a huge upset and he can't hit it.
Sure wonder QB should have got us across the goal line against Dallas, but TWO missed FGs? However I agree at 3-9 might as well let the guy finish the season then get rid of him. The firing just reinforces Snyder's red queen act. Your head will roll!

Posted by: Observer21 | December 8, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Don't know how much has been made about this yet, but you know who Graham Gano's coach was with the UFL's Las Vegas Locomotives? JIM FASSEL! Hey, he even won a championship with 'em. Let the rumors start flying!

Posted by: mmeixler | December 8, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

He made field goals when they needed touchdowns to win...two games in a row,he makes just 2 of the three he missed...they win both games...kickers have to make the game winners,especially when the game winner that would have led to THE upset of the year...was 23 yards.
The Colts barely beat Pats...Saints destroy Pats...Redskins are one 23 yard kick from beating Saints...SOMETHING is working...the problem is neither the coach or the Quarterback.

Posted by: petebowling1 | December 9, 2009 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Obviously they needed a scapegoat and Suisham was the most visible. There were a few others equally or more culpable for last Sunday's heart breaker. Landry's blown coverage leading to 7, Moore not protecting the ball and getting stripped resulting in 7. (I won't consider Sellers' fumble because I didn't see it and it may have been a bad call). Let's see...7+7=14. Maybe a field goal wouldn't have been all that necessary at the end. Good Luck Deadskins with your UFL Loco's kicker. I wish him well.

Posted by: ExPatYankee | December 9, 2009 2:43 AM | Report abuse

this late in the season seems like an idiotic decision only cerrato would do. missing the fg's in dallas and this recent game sucks but can we really blame suisham? if landry wasn't such an undisciplined moron and didn't bite on the 2 double moves that specifically targeted him, the score would've been 30-16 even with the suisham missed fg. had landry had the presence of mind to wrap the tackle on jason avant during the eagles game instead of trying to decapitate him, avant wouldn't have run for another 26 some odd yards to allow the eagles to score on that drive. during the saints game, suisham would only have come on the field to kick the pat if only zorn grew a pair of ballz and some common sense and kept campbell smoking on by throwing for possibly another td. instead he called for 3 run plays because he wanted to play for a fg instead. the same thing he did when we played the eagles and tryon got the pick. i've never been comfortable w/ suisham on any fg attempt no matter how short but i can't say he's entirely to blame. if the playcalling catered to actually putting the opponent away, we'd all be having a bromance moment and giggling and smiling and shyt!

Posted by: charronegro1971 | December 9, 2009 4:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: charronegro1971 | December 9, 2009 4:53 AM | Report abuse

If a kicker makes 1 FG, he's 100%. OOH! Let's sign him! Yes, he's 18-21 this year but This is the NFL. A DECENT NFL kicker does not miss a 23 yarder (see Saints game). A decent kicker does not miss multiple field goals in a game (see Dallas game). A decent kicker can kick off past the 10. Without question, a decent kicker would have won us the Dallas and Saints game (no "team game" BS - he makes them we win, period). Don't forget, this is the same guy who was dead last just a year ago (72.2%). He might be a nice guy but he sucks for an NFL kicker, weak leg who ices in the clutch.

Suisham lovers = morons

Smart move to try out the rookie Gano. Season is done anyway, let him try out in real games. If he doesn't pan out then snag a GOOD kicker in free agency.

For all those comparing Suisham to Akers, you're off your rocker. Akers = quality NFL kicker. Suisham = avg. arena league kicker.

Posted by: HTTR | December 9, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

He had to go sooner or later as he just could not be counted upon in the clutch. I'm not hopeful that Gano will be any better cos this is the guy that Baltimore didn't think was as good as Hauschka and they've since but him AND didn't bother going back to take a second look at Gano.

Anyway, Suisham had to go at some point - who's next?

Posted by: tartanskin | December 9, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Move is knee jerk, but at 3-9, I have no heartburn over it.

He has missed 3 huge chipshots in 3 seasons:

1) miss against Seattle to take 2 score lead in playoff game.
2) miss against Cowboys three weeks ago (had a chance to redeem himself, but didn't)
3) miss against NO. (too bad he didn't get a chance to reddem himself. If he missed that one everyone would have understood).

Just not a clutch kicker. I can't help but think his percentage would be lower if we had a winning team.

Posted by: gbraxton7 | December 9, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Remember when Mark Moseley lined up to kick a field goal? Remember when Chip Lohmiller did the same? There was a sense of confidence from a fan's standpoint that they would come through most of the time (nobody is 100% perfect). I never felt that way about Suisham. It was always a 50-50 chance. It was always a "I wonder if he will make it?" kind of thing ith him.

DOn't know if the new guy is the answer though....

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | December 9, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

DOn't know if the new guy is the answer though....

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | December 9, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

DOn't know if the new guy is the answer though....

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | December 9, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"But one kick certainly doesn't define me nor should it. But that's just the way it goes sometimes. I leave here with my head held very high. I came to love this area and the people who are here and the organization."

YES IT DOES YOU SCHMUCK! you missed 2 crucial game defining kicks that really could've solidified your career. Great kickers WIN GAMES! clearly you're a poser

have drinks with Mike Vanderjagt, I'm sure you guys can relate LOL!

Posted by: alucard1 | December 9, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Selective accountability - the hallmark of Snyderato...How many times have we heard coaches say one guy or one play doesn't win or lose a ballgame...the FO are looking to take the spotlight off their sorry performances.

Posted by: Jim31 | December 9, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I concur with Kingpenn1's post on December 8, 2009. It always seems that when the Skins are in the 2 minute warning, Zorn seems to nutup and call running plays. One thing wrong with this, it slows down the flow of the game and the momentum. Does Zorn understand the 2 minute drill. Please leave the game card in the locker room.

Posted by: thyrin45 | December 9, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

18 for 21 is OK, but the 3 kicks Suisham missed cost the team 2 wins.

I agree its not all on Suisham, however; who do you fire? Suisham was a victim of a underachieving team.

And now I am hearing Portis has a guaranteed contract for $6.7M next year. If it is an uncapped year, let him go. CP had a good run, but his heart is not in it. Run your but doing training camp instead of complaining. Rock Cartwright did.

Time to blow this thing up. There is nothing good about this team except the fact that the players who want to play are playing now with all of their heart.

Posted by: tonywhitehead1 | December 9, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

HOW CAN YOU DEFEND A GUY WHO MISSES A 23 YD CHIP SHOT? YOU HIRE KICKERS TO MAKE KICKS, IN THE CLUTCH, WHEN YOU NEED IT. NOT WHEN YOU DON'T.

CUTTING SS WAS THE BEST MOVE OF THE YEAR. NOW WE NEED TO CUT CARLOS.

Posted by: heightofhypocrisy | December 9, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

You can play the statistics to your advantage, but the truth is - Suisham grew tremendously from last year....going from last place to the top 3rd. If you say he lost two games, then you have to acknowledge he won two as well. From a season perspective he was the most consistent team performer. He was growing in his position and will continue to grow. I wish him and his young family the best. He deserves to go to a team and community that will recognize the contribution he makes, and like any good team, coach him on those areas where he needs improvement. I had to laugh when Zorn talked about Smith would have to work with the new kicker...how about continuing the improvement with your current one. If Suisham made the same level of improvement from last year to this year, he could;ve become one of the top 3 kickers by next year. What is do is done - but I wouldn't be surprised if this move doesn't bite us in the butt.

Posted by: midstateskinsfan | December 9, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: midstateskinsfan | December 9, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

When you make the NFL, you HAVE to hit 23 and 39 yard FG's so Suisham brought it on himself. I agree with other posters that cutting him loose with 4 games to go for a 3-9 team is poor but what does one expect from Danny Boy Snyder. Snyder is a piece of work. Ever since he bought the team he's been trying to buy a Super Bowl. Open up the check book and buy one high $$$ dud after another. I still remember the photo op after he signed worthless Deion Saunders. There Snyder stood, grinning like an imbecile, holding DS's jersey. What a crock. No wonder after 10 years his team can't manage .500.

Posted by: yrewolb | December 10, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

He was just as suprised as I was at the end of the Saints & Cowboys games.

Posted by: dc4life | December 11, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse