Kelly encouraged by conversation with Shanahan

While at Redskins Park last week, wide receiver Malcolm Kelly had his first conversation with Coach Mike Shanahan. And from Kelly's perspective, it couldn't have gone better.

"One of the first things he said was they're really going to put me in a lot of situations where I'll be isolated. A lot of one-on-one situations where I can take advantage of my size," Kelly said Monday in a phone interview. "Man, that's what I've been waiting to hear."

After earning the No. 1 flanker job in the preseason, Kelly fell out of favor with the coaching staff because of his route running. Fellow second-year wideout Devin Thomas replaced Kelly in the starting lineup, and Kelly's role in the offense decreased as the season progressed.

But with Thomas sidelined because of an injury in the Redskins' final game at San Diego, Kelly had a career-high five receptions for 109 yards during the Chargers' 23-20 victory. Included among Kelly's receptions was Washington's longest play from scrimmage last season - an 84-yard catch-and-run on a seam route.

So the season ended on a high note for Kelly, whom the previous coaching staff did not utilize as much in the red zone as many Redskins observers expected. Listed at 6 feet 4, 227 pounds, Kelly is the biggest wideout on the roster. Kelly often has displayed impressive leaping ability in practice and is considered to have the best hands on the team, but rarely was he targeted on jump-ball plays in the end zone.

That could change under Shanahan and his son, Kyle, the Redskins' new offensive coordinator. Kyle ran the Houston Texans' offense the last two seasons and played a role in the success of Texans star wideout Andre Johnson (6-3, 225), whom Kelly has studied closely.

"We're talking, and Coach Shanahan asked me if I had seen any film on how his son ran that offense down there," Kelly said. "I told him that as it just so happens, I have all of Andre Johnson's cut-ups [video of only Johnson in action] from this past season. I just watched Andre Johnson to watch how he would work during the season.

"He told me he wants to put me on those types of situations where I can take advantage of my size. And then he just started talking about my hands. He said, 'We're going to find ways to get you the ball.' He told me he's going to find ways to show specifically what I can do.

"That was something I haven't even heard before in my two years here. And it was coming from a guy who I know has went out and won championships, and a guy who has had playmakers at every position. That's one thing that he knows how to do - he finds ways to get his playmakers the ball. Looking at our talent level, he said he's going to be able to use all the young guys. It was real encouraging."

By Jason Reid  |  February 15, 2010; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Darrell Green turns 50 with a burst of speed
Next: Redskins' head athletic trainer no longer with team

Comments

------------------------------

Man I'm loving the Shanny hire.

On another note PFT is posting Aubrayo Franklin is going to get the franchise tag. Not a good day for Skins fan in the FA pool.

Posted by: TWISI | February 15, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey, this is great stuff but if the guy can't run routes, that's going to be a problem for the Shanahans, too. I would love to see the guy "beast" out and become that go to guy the team needs, but, Kelly has got to make it happen. This is a guy who could use some attitude. Hugs and kisses all around was the old regime. It is time to own the football when you are out on the field, MK.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 15, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

You mean to tell me we have plans to take advantage of a 6'4 reciever.....Brilliant. I don't know why that was so hard the past two seasons.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 15, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

The question is will Kelly put in the work in the off season in order to be used effectively during the next season and after.

Posted by: rmilton | February 15, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't get this plan here shouldn't we be trying to have him triple covered by a LB a Corner and a SS? Thats what Zorn told me.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 15, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TubularBells | February 15, 2010 2:58 PM |

Could have been more diplomatic in making my point with this post. There was an interesting segment on ESPN about how Brees recovered from his shoulder injury. They interviewed Dr. James Andrews who did the op on the shoulder and he raved about how dedicated Brees was with his rehab. He camped out at the clinic 24/7. Andrews said it was the most amazing rehab he had ever seen. Taking a chance on Brees wasn't really much of risk if you knew the full story behind his recovery. In fact, the amount of dedication Brees put in on recovering was a wide open window into how driven to succeed the dude is for anybody that was looking.

Posted by: TubularBells | February 15, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 15, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was busy drawing up plays for the RB or Kicker to throw the ball.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 15, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"Kelly encouraged by conversation with Shanahan"

Well, that's whats good!

I'd don't think Marshall is the best route runner in the league. But his coaches (past and present) knew how to utilize him.

For next year I'd really dig seeing Thomas and Kelly as the strating WR with Moss in the slot. That's how it should be anyway!

Beans, that delay KILLED it for the novice NSCAR viewer like me. I really like when the drivers make the push in the final laps. Dale JR. had me hyped the last two laps... but it was only TWO laps, man.... a regular race, minus the delays, would've been exciting to watch.

NSCAR ain't all that bad... I can appreciate speed on the road, and them dudes be getting it in!

Posted by: RedDMV | February 15, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

jump ball to a 6'4 receiver....there's a concept...I'm curious as to how Shanny came to this conclusion.....need some insight as to what the thinking is here....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 15, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, it certainly is encouraging to read. But as the old ZEN-master says.............we'll see.............

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 15, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 15, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was busy drawing up plays for the RB or Kicker to throw the ball.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

wayyyyyy too much truth in that statement

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 15, 2010 4:26 PM

From the same PFT report..

"As Schefter points out, Franklin is one of three nose tackles who are expected to be slapped with the franchise tag -- the others are Vince Wilfork of the Patriots and Casey Hampton of the Steelers."

Those are the top 3 UFA NTs. Maybe, just maybe if Cody slips to the 2nd and if we spend the 1st on an OT, you grab him and he and Monty play NT in a 3-4. The NT is the unheralded key to a switch to a 3-4.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Never been a big fan of the fade pattern in the end zone. But take advantage of Kelly's size? Heck yes. Love big WRs. I'd say Colston is the prototype for Kelly.

As for Andre Johnson, I really only saw him one game and I was underwhelmed. Guess it was the wrong game.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

lol... @ the name "Tubular". But I saw that too, bruh.

If Dr. Andrews worked with Bradford the way he did Brees, then I'd bell all good with them selecting hm first -- fourth overall.

Hopefully we can see some clips when the 'SKINS are making that playoff run, ya dig?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 15, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

When I was watching the SB, I had a fleeting thought at one point during the game watching Marques Colston snag a Drew Brees pass:

"Sigh, it's too bad the Malcolm Kelly Experiment didn't turn out this way."

Posted by: TubularBells | February 15, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Wait, a good coaching idea is to put your players in position to utilize what they do well. And Kelly hadn't heard that in his first two years here? I guess not when as the big slow possession receiver he was running the go routes. And Fred Davis couldn't get on the field for 22 games because he was too dumb to understand the system and then miraculously he can step on the field mid game and play well. The truth is we finally have an actual NFL coach, not a moronic goofball in charge.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 15, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

zj, well said.....the whole Fred Davis thing to me is just so funny....all we heard about was how he was this, and that, and not living up to this expectation, and he overslept, and he giggled, and in the end, we learned that he can play....and play well at this level....making the coach look the fool...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 15, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I wonder if Jim Zorn realizes he F'd up.

I still think he thinks his game planning / play calling was fine and it was just on the players not executing.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 15, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Never been a big fan of the fade pattern in the end zone.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 4:42 PM |

Won 2 of the last 3 SBs for the Giants and the Steelers.

Posted by: TubularBells | February 15, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I wonder if Jim Zorn realizes he F'd up.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 15, 2010 4:51 PM |

We all have our defense mechanisms to keep reality from "biting".

Posted by: TubularBells | February 15, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Never been a big fan of the fade pattern in the end zone.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 4:42 PM |

Won 2 of the last 3 SBs for the Giants and the Steelers.

Posted by: TubularBells

The throw to Holmes wasn't a fade pattern, forget the pattern on the jints TD.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | February 15, 2010 4:45 PM |

mos def.

Posted by: TubularBells | February 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I wonder if Jim Zorn realizes he F'd up.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | February 15, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

He has no idea he messed, which is why he's the stupid. Definition of crazy is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. That's Zorn perfectly explained. Running that god awful stretch play over and over when you half a yard and you have a 6'4" 230lbs athletic QB. Pounding away with a hurt Portis. Randel El, nough said. It took them until Sherm Lewis came in to figure out they needed to stop running 7 step drop plays. He got dealt a raw deal with his oline, but everything he did just made things worse, he made nothing better. As much as I hate Vinny and I'm glad he's gone, the best things he ever did for this franchise was 1) stacking the deck against Zorn so badly and 2) bringing in the bingo caller. Zorn had no shot....of course, if he hadn't hired him in the first place but whatevs...

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 15, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn is still preparing for this year's draft.

Posted by: iH8dallas | February 15, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 15, 2010 4:51 PM |

And making the Vinnster look real cool.

Posted by: TubularBells | February 15, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The throw to Holmes wasn't a fade pattern, forget the pattern on the jints TD.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 4:57 PM |

I stand corrected on the Holmes throw. But the throw to Burress was classic fade - throw to tall receiver who can leap and has good hands in the corner of the end zone.

Posted by: TubularBells | February 15, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I didn't know that Andre Blatche plays for the Redskins too? Oh, it is just another DC athlete blaming previous coach for holding his potentials down!

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 15, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TubularBells | February 15, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

considering he caught it at the 5 not so much the "classic" fade as you're describing.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 15, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

At the 5??? He was 5 yards into the end zone...What are you talking about...

Posted by: agcoony | February 15, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

At the 5??? He was 5 yards into the end zone...What are you talking about...

I think the point of the matter is that it wasnt a classic jump ball fade. Burress didnt even have to jump

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 15, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | February 15, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

NO...the point is get your facts straight before posting.

Posted by: agcoony | February 15, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan's conversation with M. Kelly.......

"That was something I haven't even heard before in my two years here
--------
Let's face it, the skins had a Quarter Back coach for the last 2 years. Zorn probably spent 80-90% of his time during practice working with the QB's.....

Posted by: kingpenn1 | February 15, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Kelly is a classic long-striding tall receiver. Thomas is more of a very fast RB with good hands. If both were ever healthy at the same time, you could send one down the sideline and the other in a crossing pattern and Santana Moss can do whatever he likes underneath.

If both were ever healthy at the same time...

Some idiot writer in SI was blathering on about how maybe Peyton Manning would never be able to win more than the one title, as if that made him less than, say, Tom Brady. But elsewhere in the mag was a quote from Joe Montana about how difficult it was to compare Peyton with other NFL QBs because he was doing so much more than they were, in terms of calling plays and reading defenses. Implying that the real offensive coordinator for Indy was Manning, not a coach.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 15, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

"What in the world is Kelly so excited about? He knows that Jason Campbell isn't accurate enough to complete fade patterns (dude hasn't completed one in 5 years) or fit passes in tight spaces. What does Kelly know that has got him so hyped for next year?? Maybe that Mr. Bradford will throwing those pin-point accurate fade patterns to him???Posted by: coparker5"

Bradford definitely throws a nice fade. But it's not that difficult a pass to throw, particularly if your WR has three or four inches on the DB. The trick is to put a little air under the ball without having it start to float. If it hangs up there too long, the DB can recover and knock it aside.

Hardest pass to throw in the opinion of most QBs is the deep sideline out pattern. If you throw it properly, it's impossible to stop. Problem is, you practically need a degree in geometry to get the angle right so the sideline doesn't act as an extra defender. Vinny Testaverde threw a beautiful sideline pass. When he was on a team with decent receivers (not that often), he really lit it up.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 15, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Sam Bradford = Matt Leinhart

Sam Bradford- Sooner
2007: GP 14 237/341(69.5%) 3,121 yds and 36 TD vs. 8 INT. 7 rush 31 yds 0 TD.
2008: GP 14 328/483(67.9%) 4,721 yds and 50 TD vs. 8 INT. 42 rush 47 yds 5 TD.
2009: GP 2 37/63(58.7%) 485 yds and 2 TD vs. 0 INT. 3 rush -5 yds 0 TD.

Matt Leinart- Trojan
2003: 255/402(63.4%) 3556 yds 38 TD vs. 9 INT. 32 rush -62 yds 0 TD.
2004: 269/412(65.3%) 3322 yds 33 TD vs. 6 INT. 49 rush -44 yards 3 TD.
2005: 283/431(65.7%) 3815 yds 28 TD vs. 8 INT. 51 rush 36 yards 6 TD.

Comparisons:
Both played for big time programs with superior talent.
Both won the Heisman
Similar build: Leinhart 6’5 232 / Bradford 6’4 223
Both have average arm strength
Both were regarded as potential #1 overall picks before electing to go back to school. Leinhart went #10 after going back to school, #4 is too high for Bradford.

Differences:
Bradford comes from a Spread O vs. Leinhart and USC’s pro style. Leinhart more pro ready.
Bradford has serious injury red flags. Shoulder for a QB is like a RB or WR with a knee. Leinhart zero red flags.

Summary: Both made a mistake by going back to school and Leinhart may or may not be a bust but I don’t want to take a chance on Bradford with the 4th overall pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see how Shanny uses Marko Mitchell

Posted by: coparker5 | February 15, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

man, if i was the redskins, i would not want my players talking this openly to the press. thats jmo.

Posted by: BMACattack | February 15, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

burress wasn't a fade pattern either. But he was so open that it looked like one at the end of it

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Kelly's comments are simultaneously encouraging and incredibly discouraging.

He really NEVER had a SINGLE conversation with a coach about running isolation plays to use his size advantage in the last 2 years??

Posted by: p1funk | February 15, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see how Shanny uses Marko Mitchell

Posted by: coparker5 | February 15, 2010 6:47 PM

Compared to Zorn not using him? I'd be shocked if ARE isn't cut March 5th. I like the potential of Marko and at 6'4 and on the right team last year, he would have a rookie season similar to Colston's did in 2006.

IMO he is a Colston clone
Colston 6'4 225 4.5 40 yd dash 7th rd pick
Mitchell 6'4 220 4.49 40 yd dash 7th rd pick

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Who on the Redskins has really developed and excelled beyond their natural talent over the past several years?

Posted by: p1funk

You have really hit on the #1 issue with Zorn. For all his issues, this stands out.

Though I can think of a few guys that have developed and a few more that may be on track, I agree that its a small list -- and the number that regressed or are nowhere near their potential -- is much too big.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

It hasn't just been under Zorn, its been the Redskins as a whole since Marty was fired. IMO the reason is simple. We have ever replaced older talent with young in house talent because we have either A) traded away draft picks or B) signed slightly less older players to replace our oldest players. Under Spurrier he brought in anybody who considered going to Florida. Joe brought in every old player he could find. And Zorn had the same thing done to him by Cerrato. Then he stubbornly stuck with playing those guys (CP, Randel El, Thomas, Rabach) instead of either finding viable replacements last offseason or developing the young talent. Even with Fred Davis who had a great year, he never would have sniffed the field if Cooley hadn't gotten hurt. Its a combo of terrible management and coaching. But when you have no draft picks, and behind your old vets is a bunch of off the street FAs what do you expect?

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 15, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't necessarily say that no one developed under Gibbs. I think its true that they erred too much on relying on older guys.

Mike Sellers, Ladell Betts, (though he didn't get tons of chances to play), Chris Cooley, Antonio Pierce, Lemar Marshall, Sean Taylor, Derrick Dockery all developed well under Gibbs/Grilliams.

To some extent, I would add Clinton Portis to that list. Portis was successfully transformed from a one-cut zone runner into a between the tackles power-type back under Gibbs.

Posted by: p1funk | February 15, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

T_E to L-S, still trying to figure out his new handle. Hope the old man is alright.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

IMO he is a Colston clone
Colston 6'4 225 4.5 40 yd dash 7th rd pick
Mitchell 6'4 220 4.49 40 yd dash 7th rd pick

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I watched alot of Saints games/highlights this year b/c I had Brees and Colston on my fantasy team, and the Saints run an unstoppable play with Colston that we could easily run with Kelly or Marko.

Colston lines up wide and just runs straight up the field at the cornerback. Brees throws the ball high and to his outside shoulder. Colston just stops his route after about 10-15 yards and turns around (the ball is already in the air). He either jumps and gets the ball or the CB has to PI. Because of Colston's body position, size, jumping ability and the fact that he catches with his hands, its a completion even with the CB blanketing him.

It's just one of those mind-bogglingly simple plays that works every time (assuming you get 1-1 with the CB) unless the throw is off or Colston drops it.

Precisely the kind of play that needs to find its way into our playbook...

Posted by: p1funk | February 15, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't make much difference what sort of "situation" they put MK in, at least so long as they have the clueless loser (JC17) taking the snaps and allegedly trying to execute the plays.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 15, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

"Kelly said. "I told him that as it just so happens, I have all of Andre Johnson's cut-ups from this past season. I just watched Andre Johnson to watch how he would work during the season."

I love the thinking here: you watch a guy hoping to become that guy.

I guess with that plan of action, it'll just be a couple of months before I become Ron Jeremy.

Goodness knows I've watched a ton of tape of him in action.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 15, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

We never threw fades to the endzone cause JC
wasnt that accurate to throw them, I dont mean to drag him into this but its the truth.

Can anyone remember JC throwing a successful fade pattern for a TD??

Posted by: Istudydrugs | February 15, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

We never threw fades to the endzone cause JC

Can anyone remember JC throwing a successful fade pattern for a TD??

Posted by: Istudydrugs | February 15, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I do recall at least one attempt at that. The throw was off and Kelly looked horribly awkward on the route. He jumped and twisted his body in a wierd way.

The whole thing reeked of a "we-have-no-chemistry-and-we-obviously-don't-practice-that-play-very-much" stench.

Posted by: p1funk | February 15, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | February 15, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

A little late today arent you? You usually deliver your daily I hate JC post around 4pm

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 15, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

bean - this has to make you happy.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 15, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | February 15, 2010 8:14 PM

I remember the play, can't remember the game. MK's route and attempt at the ball was just as bad as JC's throw. It was an embarrassment.

Fade patterns weren't a part of Zorn's game plan, hence the reason MK DT, & MM were rarely in the redzone packages.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 15, 2010 8:16 PM |

Hey man don't be such a phukbrik. It was a holiday and the dude was out and about enjoying himself

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

IMO he is a Colston clone
Colston 6'4 225 4.5 40 yd dash 7th rd pick
Mitchell 6'4 220 4.49 40 yd dash 7th rd pick

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 6:59 PM |

I think peeps are pushing it to think that either Mitch or Kelly can reach the level of Colston. Both have a long way to go. Let's just say the potential is there and take a wait and see instead of saying he caught 5 for 105 in a meaningless game for SD. As for Mitch, we haven't really seen anything at all. Peeps are right to point out how valuable a Colston-type receiver can be but this is news only to those who weren't watching Colston put up big #s in the SB.

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 15, 2010 8:16 PM |

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 8:23 PM |

No one was out and about enjoying themselves around here today. Too much damn snow coming down. On a lighter note, we put in an offer on a house in San Clemente today. Here's to hopin'.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 15, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 8:34 PM

No doubt. Colston has averaged 70 for 1100 and 9 TDs per season when healthy. He's the real deal and I think MM and MK in the right situation have the potential and talent to be successful. If we had drafted Colston he would have been a nobody like MK and MM.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

"Really, the only way you defend it is if you sandwich the receiver - something that the Saints prevent from happening by running alot of 3-4 WR sets."

I don't know if you have to sandwich him -- but you do have to front him. One way would be to drop the LB back so the QB would have to throw over him to make that 10-15 yards. It's not like you'd have to worry about Colston getting behind the CB -- he's no an Andre Johnson or Randy Moss. They use him almost like a TE in some patterns.

It's just an ingenious offense, and one that works very much on deception.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 15, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 8:48 PM |

Another out-of-nowhere success story is Miles Austin. Just like Colston he is big, fast, and didn't cost the Cows anything. The Cows personnel dept is a real mystery. Blow a 1st rounder on a dud like Williams and find hidden gems like Austin and Romo. It's like they are schizoid - sometimes Ceratto, somtimes Newsome.

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Can we stop ignoring the one fact that we knew about Kelly weeks before he was drafted out of OU...HE CAN'T GET OFF THE LINE! Vinny used to say about it, "Well, he's got good 3rd gear, downfield speed". We saw what happened to T.O. when he lost that 1st gear speed and Kelly is still a KID. I don't wanna hear about Colston - dude can get off the line.

Posted by: redrider21 | February 15, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

"I think peeps are pushing it to think that either Mitch or Kelly can reach the level of Colston. Both have a long way to go."

Isn't this more a comment about talent evaluation than anything?

Kelly is a high pick and Mitchell a low one: and yet, no one seems to have any true grip on what their talents might be.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 15, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redrider21 | February 15, 2010 9:19 PM

I was against drafting MK, but he's here. I'm also against drafting bradford because of his noodle arm and shoulder.

I will root for MK and his obvious talent because he is a Skin and I will root against drafting Bradford.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell, 6-4, 218 lbs will rise to the top. MK who? It's MM for sure.

Posted by: getitritegov | February 15, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 15, 2010 9:04 PM |

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Once again...

I begin to judge the Skins NOW...last season was a nightmare!

Hard to belive that Shanahan and Son can't figure out what to do with two 6'4" receivers, a 6'2" receiver and a 5'10" receiver that can run a 4.3 or 4.4 40 yard dash.

We'll see!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 15, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

"Can anyone remember JC throwing a successful fade pattern for a TD??"

yes, to malcom kelly i think, it was the only one i can remember.

Posted by: BMACattack | February 15, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

We'll see!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 15, 2010 9:28 PM |

You would think that with two WRs that can fly and with MM a good combo of speed and height that the Shans could gin up an exciting O. But as one prescient previous poster put it, you have to be able to get off the line and attain separation.

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

Oh for sure... haven't seen any post for a minute from him. For real, shout outs to the "old head" on the board, no disrespect.

The dude went to college back in the '60s! Nothing but respect for that alone -- even if I had beef, it's dead now.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 15, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | February 15, 2010 9:39 PM

He's as consistent a blogger as he’s a pain in the ass.

I seriously hope the old man is alright.

RIP T_E
RIP L-S???

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 9:36 PM

Not to mention 2 good pass catching tight ends.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 15, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

One thing that suggests that Shan and Camp may not be simpatico is that in a recent interview with CBS Sports he said that he wants his QBs to be passionate. Camp exudes about as much passion as a pet rock. In fact, after seeing him in games you think to yourself "stoneface is in the house".

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

"But you do have to worry about Austin Miles, another Colston clonston, getting around the CB. The dude ran a 4.29 40 and like Colston but unlike John or Moss, he came real cheap.osted by: FreekyGeeky "

How did we get from talking about Colston to another wide receiver on another team?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 15, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 15, 2010 6:28 PM |

And even if thrown prop, if the DB jumps the route it could be a pick-six. Of course, if it's a double move and the DB jumps the route and your WR has 4.3 speed then it's six for the O. Devin, dude. Are you there?

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I still chuckle a little when I picture Kelly on the sideline watching JC throw an end zone fade route to Santana Moss.

I chuckle and then I cry.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 15, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

If it's difficult to throw, then JC17 will not be able to do it. It doesn't matter what receivers are on the field. JC17 cannot make the right decision fast enough with the ball. Need a new QB to improve the offense. Even when Samuels and Thomas were healthy, he was a mediocre QB.

Posted by: tramellcanady | February 15, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I seriously hope the old man is alright.

RIP T_E
RIP L-S???

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 9:44 PM

Diesel,

Thanks, the old man is fine. When I was your age, my age seemed old. Today it seems young. Young/old is relative.

Posted by: League-Source | February 15, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Diesel,

Posted by: League-Source | February 15, 2010 10:43 PM

Glad you're alive..

Now I just put a flaming bag on your porch.

This is what ensues.

L-S: "Who the hell is it? What do you want? Judas Priest, it's one of those flaming bags again."

L-S wife: "Don't put it out with your boots, L-S."

L-S: "Don't tell me my business, Devil Woman. Call the fire department, this one's outta control."

L-S: "Eck, poop again."

Diesel: " He called the sh!t "poop".

RI Hamsters: "This is the best night of my life."

L-S: "I'll get you damn kids for this. You're all gonna die."

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | February 15, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Not a problem. Wait two seconds and the o-line will be three yards deep in the backfield.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 15, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

A look at Shanny's draft tendencies which admittedly` the past doesn't equal the future, but if you have time to spear...here it is.

Posted by: TWISI | February 15, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

TWISI-

Nice find, I was unfamiliar with that site. I like his mock except his 2nd rd pick. Even though McCoy is the winningest QB in NCAA history, I don't like him as a pro. I see him as the 7-10 best QB prospect in the draft, going in the 3-5th RD range. The 2nd would be a reach.

ASTON'S 2010 REDSKINS MOCK DRAFT

Round 1: Russell Okung, OT
Round 2: Colt McCoy, QB
Round 3:
Round 4: Eric Norwood, OLB
Round 5: Jeff Byers, C
Round 6:
Round 7: Devin Ross, CB

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Any comparison between M Kelly and Andre Johnson is absurd. Kelly ran a 4.7 at his pro day, then blamed the grounds keeper for the choice of, and field condition. Johnson is a legit 4.4 guy! Johnson performed right out of the gate, Kelly only spark came at the end of the last season against a second team corner which he was unable to run away from on the 84 yard play. Kelly has had several surgical procedures on his knee which certainly hasn't helped his speed. And finally he was selected by Sirrato. I hope I'm mistaken, but I'm not optimistic about Kelly becoming a goto guy!

Posted by: Spanglerg | February 15, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm one who thinks Campbell is a good QB -- but he;s bad at the fade. I've seen him throw it maybe 3 times. Throws it too high, takes too long to get there.

Its not only Campbell. The WRs line up too close to the sideline and don't drive towards the inside with the first step. Basically, there was no chance to catch it in bounds.

Its a clusterthing.

Still, the fade is a tough throw to make and few guys do it well.

I think the fade stop, where the pattern starts as a fade and the WR stops is a better play. The defender is usually turned away from the QB. The throw is high, but with a flat trajectory, making it very tough for the DB to turn in time to see the ball. This gives the WR the chance to make a play on the ball, and its also pretty common to get a pass interference call.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 15, 2010 11:58 PM

I like the fade stop as well. We haven't had a fade QB and receiver since #7 and #81.

The problem with the fade stop is if it our current QB stares it down it's a very long pick 6 the other way by a safety.

Both are routes that need to be practiced between a receiver and a QB until they can do it in their sleep. Safe to say neither was a staple in Zorn’s high school offense.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 16, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Anybody else notice that Amano was re-signed to Tenn? The pool of starting caliber free-agent OL just shrunk a bit more...

Posted by: DCinSD | February 16, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

And Darrel Green is a legit 4.3 speed guy at age 50.

Terrible hands though ... :) Still probably better than Hall and 'Los
at age 50.

Posted by: periculum | February 16, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

To all the Zorn f8&ed up ... sitting here wondering if Zorn had any more control over the offense and plays called (remember the designated play caller?) than he will with the Ravens as QB coach.

Snyder made the cluster f*ck not Zorn. And Vinny certainly helped. Its hard to hold Zorn that accountable ... if anything he was ridiculed so much I'm surprised the team did as well as they did.

Posted by: periculum | February 16, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Comparisons:
Both played for big time programs with superior talent.
Both won the Heisman
Similar build: Leinhart 6’5 232 / Bradford 6’4 223
Both have average arm strength

Differences:

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 15, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Alright so what about the pro style offense that Bradford ran in 2007 where he put up 36 TD's and 8 Ints? I sware it's one thing to not like Bradford as a QB prospect but why are you omitting facts?

I mean did anyone here ever stop to think why a "spread QB" was so highly regarded after the Alex Smith debacle?

Also you're forgetting the fact that Leinart is a party guy with horrible study habits. If he put half as much effort into studying as he did drinking then Warner would never of had to come in and save the franchise.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | February 16, 2010 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Blah, Blah, Blah (your comments)
Another five years I'll be glad when it's over maybe Dan Snyder will SELL the TEAM.

Posted by: SOLVBACK | February 16, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

I've got nothing to say, I just don't want everyone else scared off by the crap spewed in the last comment.

Hopefully, the Shanny family will do for Thomas/Kelly what they did for Johnson/Marshall in their last stops. Boy, that would be a dynamic duo if they can make that happen...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Kelly`s first year..was a total nothing. Besides injuries, he did not put in the study time NOR DID HE GET IN SHAPE. Last year..he did not run good routes..so why should they isolate him and throw to him in the red zone? Devon Thomas was also a waste in his first year..but he showed real improvement last year. BTW Cooley has the best hands on the team when it counts.
Kelly had ONE game that was good..in 2 years.

Jason is not an accurate passer..and often when he completes a pass..the ball is not thrown where it should be. Watch Brees, Warner,Manning or Brady..in placing the ball correctly...and consistently.

Lastly, with no O line..why waste a high pick on any QB? I think Colt Brennen is an accurate passer..who can really scramble..which this team needs. This team is not gonna come close to the playoffs this coming year..so see if Colt can do it...and draft a QB late..or pick up a non-drafted player. Remember T. Romo was undrafted...Kurt Warner came from arena football. also, look at how many QB`s who were drafted with high picks...failed.
WASHINGTON MUST BUILD A YOUNG AND GOOD O LINE OR THEY WILL NEVER SEE THE PLAYOFFS....NO MATTER WHO ELSE THEY GET.
WHEN THE HOGS WERE PLAYING WE WON WITH MARK RYPIEN, AND DOUG WILLIAMS. JOE WAS BETTER..BUT STILL NO HALL OF FAME GUY.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | February 16, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Zorn would have had production from Thomas and Kelly if Cerrato wouldnt have neglected the O-line for years.

The only encouraging news I want to hear from the park is that we are going to build one of the best O-lines in the league, starting with the draft. Then we will see great things from everyone on the offense.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | February 16, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Jason is not an accurate passer...I think Colt Brennen is an accurate passer..who can really scramble..which this team needs.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | February 16, 2010 7:27 AM

Ok, let me get this straight:

Starter who completes 65% of his passes IN GAMES THAT COUNT: inaccurate passer

3rd string QB that can't complete half his passes IN THE PRESEASON: accurate passer

Got it. Makes sense if we're omitting the use of logic or reason...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Colt is the perfect example of what's ahead for Bradford. Bradford is going to have to get stronger, work on his mechanics, and learn how to read defenses while dropping back. Bradford is a better QB than Colt, so the learning curve shouldn't be as steep, but it still remains realistically a two year process.

Posted by: TWISI | February 16, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 7:44 AM

I love how people keep anointing this guy. I think Colt could develop into a decent backup QB at this point in his career. However, Colt hasn't had much experience in the pros. He didn't practice all last year with the team after preseason because e was on IR. I don't think it's realistic to believe that Colt, learning a new offense, is going to be a starter in this league in 2010 while having no meaningful reps in a year.

Posted by: TWISI | February 16, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsXXVI | February 16, 2010 2:59 AM
-------------------------------------------
I didn't know the Redskins had a choice between the two, but frankly, I wouldn't want either one of them on my team. Bradford is going to spend mor etime in the training room than on the practice field. Leinart isn't serious enough about the game or competitive enough to take his team very far.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 16, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | February 16, 2010 7:42 AM
-------------------------------------------
I can't believe we still have Zorn apologists on this blog. I thought we ran them all out of town. Look, Kelly and Thomas didn't get reps in the first year because of Zorn. Figure it out. Zorn ran the offense and he didn't want young players on the field. He kept Davis, Thomas and Kelly out of the lineup as much as he could. Kelly and Thomas didn't start getting the ball until Sherm Lewis came in to run the offense. Davis didn't get his shot until Cooley went down with injury. This was all Zorn's call. Players don't develop if they don't get the reps, and Zorn didn't give them the reps. I think it comes from a rookie coach and a coaching staff that didn't know how to develop players.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 16, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | February 16, 2010 1:34 AM
-------------------------------------------
I have one thing to say that fully defines what kind of coach Zorn was: Swinging Gate. If you don't think Zorn was part of the problem, then you don't know what the problem was.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 16, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 16, 2010 8:13 AM

I'm actually pretty anxious to see what he can do...he definitely outplayed the 2nd round clowns last preseason and I think he's got a chance to pass them on the depth chart if everyone gets a chance to compete for jobs.

And I'll never understand a Zorn apologist. Nice guy who didn't deserve to be put behind the 8-ball like he was, but he sucks as a HC and everyone but him knew it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Ha...this kid is delusional. "Looking at our talent level"...ha...more like, all these 2nd round clowns will be gone during training camp cuts.

Posted by: btgo | February 16, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

"After earning the No. 1 flanker job in the preseason, Kelly fell out of favor with the coaching staff because of his route running."

Fred Davis wasn't a favorite either until Cooley got hurt, then they found out he could play.

Wouldn't it be funny if the new guys come in and turn M Kelly into the second coming of B Marhsall in the same fashion?

Too, if this happens, it'll really shine a hard light onto the inadequacies of J Zorn's management of offense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 16, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Did we ever find out if when Allen came in, did he turn over the Coaching Duties to Zorn again?

Posted by: alex35332 | February 16, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

school vacation, so more clowns on the blog this week.....

utilizing talent you have....will wonders ever cease....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 16, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Alex, the quicker we delete the Zorn era from our memories, the better. I'll be content to die without ever knowing the answer to that question.

Moe, I was thinking the same thing...if the Shanahans can make the Kelly/Thomas tandem into even a poor man's Andre Johnson/Brandon Marshall tandem, boy would we have something going here. It would be the best WR tandem we've had since--and this is how sad we've been in recent years--Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell in 1999.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

albert connell....hey, where's my wallet....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 16, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Now if we can only find a way to get the punter throwing him the ball, we will be in great shape!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | February 16, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

LOL Greg...talk about a fall from grace, dude goes from an up and coming 1,000 yard receiver to a locker room outcast. He and Tatum Bell should open up a theft by deception business.

Here's some fodder for the blog...the last two PFT posts are about Marc Bulger's likely ouster from St. Louis and the Bucs desire to trade out of the #3 overall spot. Thoughts on Bulger in Burgundy or someone jumping ahead of the Skins to get Bradford?

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

"Now, watch how a guy like Marko Mitchell develops this season. He'll get the reps and he will develop. MM will have a lot more opportunities given to him than Zorn ever would have given him."

This is so true.

Sherm Lewis came in and showed himself to be a better play designer/caller than Zorn.

So what'll Shanny do with what we got?

We'll get some 'trips' and 'bunch' sets where clever 'pick' plays let a specific guy make a play, which is better for Campbell has it cuts his reads down to simple, mid range options.

And those are the kinds of passes he throws best.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 16, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 8:48 AM
-------------------------------------------
I'd love to see it, too. I know I am going to be lambasted for this just like last time, but let me say this is one of the reasons why I think the team needs to get rid of Moss. These young guys need to step into the spotlight and develop. It's the equivalent of the Navy throwing you into a twenty foot deep pool of water to teach you to swim. You either swim or drown. Moss is on the downside of his career. By the time Shanahan's done revamping the o-line, Moss will probably be the oldest guy on the offense. The rest of the team will be developing while his speed, quickness - overall athleticism - will be declining. The young guys need the reps. I am pretty sure ARE is gone, so there is one obstacle to playing time gone. Next, they need to address Moss.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 16, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Not to rip off Greg's schtick, but...

What Moe? Running plays designed to take advantage of the strengths of our players? What a new and exciting concept!

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if I'm reading too much into this, but with Shanny making an effort to reach out to Kelly, does this mean that we will see a Bradford to Kelly in our future?? Makes me wonder..

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | February 16, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Bean must be smiling at this post.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 16, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"Thoughts on Bulger in Burgundy or someone jumping ahead of the Skins to get Bradford?"

The word is that Bulger was gun shy from the hits he took behind the rams bad o-line.

He needs a change, the guy is still young and can throw.

Should he come to DC: no.

And why try to move up to the #3 spot?

I'd rather find a way to get a 3rd or additional #4 rounder.

There's been talk that the FO is considering moves to do that very same thing.

But on Bulger and moving up: I'll pass.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 16, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Now that Bulger is all but out of the door, the Ram's #1 priority has become getting a franchise QB. If Bradford is all that and a big of chips, will the Rams grab him #1 overall? Irregardless, with the Bucs a willing trade partner, in all likelihood, the Bradford sweepstakes will be held a pick #3 (if he's all that and a bag of chips).

Posted by: TWISI | February 16, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"I know I am going to be lambasted for this just like last time, but let me say this is one of the reasons why I think the team needs to get rid of Moss."

No lambasting from me.

Moss looks very ordinary, and if there's some value in moving him, do it.

Plus, I like the 6' 3" 200 pound type receiver anyways: Moss only came here because L Coles wanted out.

Moss in Houston with A Johnson and O Daniels is a nice idea. Let's do business with the texans.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 16, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

RSH, I get what you're saying and don't completely disagree. I just think it's crazy to cut one of your best offensive weapons just because you want the younger guys to develop. Personally, I don't think the two are mutually exclusive; you can develop the young guys and still play Moss out of the slot. Moss is still the best deep threat on the team and will give the young WRs space to work on the shorter/underneath routes. Training camp will be the time to find out...if he goes to camp and gets smoked by the younger guys, send him packing. But if he still shows himself to be the best WR on the team, it'd be crazy to just cut him loose.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

ZORN = GENIUS says PORTIS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 16, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I think Moss is fine if we use him as a slot-Welker type, not a #1 or #2. He still has some speed in open spaces, and can elude single coverage.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 16, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Moe,

I think you misunderstood what I meant about the #3 pick...I wasn't suggest we move up (especially not for only one spot), moreso just wondering aloud if it would really be a bad thing if the Bucs offered the #3 pick to the highest bidder for a crack at Bradford--in effect, making the Skins decision for them to take Okung at #4.

And kudos on the Moss to Texans thought...he ended up there on my Madden season and the Johnson/Moss combo is a beast.

But then again, Moss is still playing and playing well at age 36 on that game, so what do I know...

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

If any of you guys are by a TV, you gotta see Hannah Storm on SportsCenter rockin' the plaid skirt and red boots--damn, I'd love to tap that...and skirts mean easy access.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

This sounds great...today. Something tells me this will not work out as planned come September. We are the Redskins after all. Nothing works out as planned since Snyder has been in charge.

Posted by: sjp879 | February 16, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

sjp879, I've had that same attitude with Danny/Vinny running things, but this is a fresh slate with Allen/Shanny running the show. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

You gotta feel good about a coach who knows his job, you know, getting the most out of the talent on his roster.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

school vacation, so more clowns on the blog this week.....

utilizing talent you have....will wonders ever cease....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 16, 2010 8:43 AM
More insults to fellow skins fans that don't see it your way...I bet you were all for the band on negative snyder posters at fedex field.

Posted by: sthai75 | February 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I would tend to agree with sjp879. I'm not ready to drink any kool-aid until I see the product on the field.

I've just seen too many euphoric off-seasons where everyone is sh*tting rainbows only to have the team turn back in to a pumpkin when the games start.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 16, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Shanny is a far superior coach and will make common sense decisions that we have lacked under the Zorn and Vinny experiment. I am not convinced that this roster can make a playoff run. In this case, Kelly can't stay on the field and does run terrible routes, so he's far from a slam dunk.

Jump balls in the endzone are a great idea that the last staff could not figure out, maybe Kelly can do this when on the field infrequently.

Posted by: jjredskins | February 16, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

stai, try it again, this time use the term, "ban" and not band....I'm not against people who disagree with me...just stupid people like you....hope that clears it up...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Cool...could he play left tackle instead though?

Posted by: kevin_rigsby19 | February 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 16, 2010 9:45 AM

Hey, I've had as pessimistic a view as anyone but this year ain't about wins and losses. This year is about setting the course for future success. Anyone who thinks this team will be a playoff contender in 2010 is high off their ass. This season should be all about building the O-line and getting as young as possible.

So Kelly doesn't have to be Andre Johnson...he just needs to get into games and makes a few plays; that's a win in my book.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

Dude be for real. What manning is basically doing is running a two minute or no huddle offense. Having played 12 years in the same system allows him to make audibles. Tom Moore is the offensive coordinator not Peyton Manning. Jim Kelly ran a similar offense and made checks at the line of scrimmage out of the no huddle for 7 years under Marv Levy. The comparison that you can't make is that Montana was an athlete and a quarterback, he could scramble. Peyton Manning is basically playing when fear at the quarteback position has been removed. There was no in the grasp when Montana played quarterback, there was no hook slide, there was no getting out of the tackle box and slamming the ball in the turf, and the receivers were bumped all over the field. The bottom line with Peyton Manning is that he is Dan Marino putting up stats. The guy is 9-9 in the postseason. Montana was 29-10 in the playoffs. The year that Manning won it the defense won it, he threw 7 touchdowns and 10 picks in the postseason that year. The defense scored 5 defensive touchdowns. Manning had a post season rating of 70 his Super Bowl winning year.

Posted by: impartial1 | February 16, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

TWISI - I also read Rams may be interested in Vick, but hopefully just as a backup...

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 16, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

the difference in the rainbows, is that now we have a real football guy, as a coach, and a real football guy as a GM....its the difference between a big mac, and a lobster dinner....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 16, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

We were 6-2 and Jason Campbell was the second highest rated passer in the NFC, the last time that Thomas and Samuels were healthy during the beginning of the 2008 season. Remember Thomas got hurt the first half of the first game this year and Samuels got hurt about 4 games later.

Posted by: impartial1 | February 16, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Trade personnel. Trade down. Get picks. GO REDSKINS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 16, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI
____
First I don't know any Colt defenders saying he will be the next Tom Brady.. what people who like Colt say (including myself) is we'll never know until he gets a shot. You think he will only be a decent backup but you don't know how good he will either. The point is we have an unknown Colt and a guy who has been a failure Campbell. Why continue with the guy who has not succeeded when a new guy just might be the one. And besides your he hasn't played before well ALL QB's have to start sometime, and they usally do it with a new system. Colt also had the advantage to learn on the bench, mature and Zorn ran a WCO and Shanahan runs a WCO so it shouldn't be completely new to him.

Posted by: sovine08 | February 16, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI
____

Posted by: sovine08 | February 16, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: impartial1
____
That was 2 seasons ago.. and the Skins were winning because of the defense Gregg Williams built and because of Portis running. Campbell was still doing is 5 yard dump pass. But defenses learn! They saw what the Skins were doing.. crowded the line and dared Campbell to beat them by passing... Campbell couldn't which was why they finished 2-6. and went 4-12 last year

Posted by: sovine08 | February 16, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 9:13 AM
------------------------------------------
How do we know Moss is the best deep threat on the team when guys like Marko Mitchell haven't been given a chance to show what they can do. I can still remember the preseason where MM was waving his arm for the ball - five yards ahead of any defender - because he had beaten his man so badly. I am not saying cut Moss. There are teams out there that would love to have him, so trade him for what the Skins can get. I think the team would be just fine in Shanny's offense with Thomas and Kelley starting and MM playing the slot occasionally. I'd like to see some real size at wide receiver. It makes it easier for the quarterback when he knows his guys can get the jump ball or muscle in the occasional errant pass.

BTW, my take on what Shanny's philosophy should be with personnel is trade or cut the guys who don't fit the template right away to make way for players that do. Build those positions up with draft picks and free agents, develop, wash, rince, repeat. I don't think a team should hang on to a player just because they are a favorite or an icon or something like that. I have seen too many times where a round peg in a square hole just slows the development of the whole team. Better to get lesser skilled players who fit the scheme and develop them - or replace them if it doesn't work out. The Redskins are not going to the show this season. Better to be developing the tools today that will aid them in the hunt in one or two years and find new homes for the guys that don't fit. Yes, this means trading guys like Moss, Carter - maybe Sellers, but if you are committed to a scheme for an inch, you should be committed for a mile.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 16, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to run good routes when your QB gets blitzed and you have to break the routes almost every passing play! If the Shanny's can't get both Thomas and Kelly going then we know where they stand.

Posted by: joeboggs | February 16, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I don’t want to take a chance on Bradford with the 4th overall pick.

Posted by: Diesel44

Couldn't agree more D44 - take OL and see if McCoy or Pine is there in second

Posted by: ElYeah | February 16, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | February 16, 2010 10:26 AM

Except Colt has run only a simplified version of the WCO (he's only played in the preseason) and struggled at that. Coupled with the fact that he hasn't practiced in a year (IR last year), was challenged with a lot of mechanical issues (footwork dropping back, reading defenses under center, wonky throwing motion), and your boy Colt is way behind the learning curve. While it's true a player has to start somewhere; it's not reasonable to think a developmental prospect like Colt who hasn't had a chance to develop will become the messiah of QBs. Colt has to work on his issues. Last preseason Zorn expanded Colt's playbook, and Colt looked unprepared. A more prudent course is to sign a veteran QB to lead the team. If Colt can stay healthy, he'll get his first full year to learn his craft, under a tremendous QB coach. Maybe in a year, more likely two, will Colt actually be NFL starter ready.

Posted by: TWISI | February 16, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow, ESPN First Take (and last in the ratings) is right now interviewing--I can't make this up--the pothole from the Geico commercial. Nothing screams out "cancel us" quite like interviewing a f-ing pothole.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

So with all this Bradford talk, I am assuming that Colt Brennen will never be an option in DC. I wonder what Shanny thinks of him, probably not much.

Posted by: joeboggs | February 16, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

school vacation, so more clowns on the blog this week.....

utilizing talent you have....will wonders ever cease....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 16, 2010 8:43 AM

Amen - Greg...

I predict that Colt gets cut before or during preseason...so tired of hearing his name on here, like he is the return of Namath.

I too think Moss is just ordinary, but I would love to see him in the slot with D. Thomas and MK on the outside or MM. Then we can get rid of ARE for good.

FA is going to be real interesting this year, will determine everything draft wise...

Posted by: mhartz1 | February 16, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 9:23 AM

Yes and YES. I'd tell her leave the boots on.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

RSH, like I've said...Moss will carry more value to us on the roster than he would to another team. If the choice is Moss or a late 6th round pick, I'm taking Moss because he'll likely be better than the 6th rounder. Some here overvalue the guys on this roster and apply that to other teams...I guarantee nobody's giving up a first day pick for a 30 year-old speed receiver with no size and a history of hamstring problems.

And another thing to keep in mind--Moss has a big cap number. I know this is going to be an uncapped year, but teams still don't wanna take on that kind of salary for a player clearly on the decline. Chances are, Moss will leave here either next year or the year after via release, not trade.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Funny and True Story...

Got off the mountain in Austria from snowboarding all day, went into a bar and started to use the internet on their free laptops and noticed a guy wearing a skins sweatshirt, right as I was pulling up RI...turned to dude and said Hail Skins...conversation starts and he sees that I am on RI, turns his screen and he is doing the same thing...proceeds to tell me that MistaMoe and RedDMV spit the truth and really know their football knowledge and skins FO info...I just nodded, drinking my beer and he says I really hate 4th floor, Beantowngreg and Mhartz1, biggest know it alls on the whole blog...beer shot out my nose at light speed all over the dude, I laughed showed him my screen name and he left...lol

Skins fans everywhere.

Posted by: mhartz1 | February 16, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

said I was just as much a jerk in real life as on the net...this after we became BFF for 30 minutes talking skins...told me he thought Greg made up all the PFT stuff to throw people off their game in the blog, dude was serious...i almost died, instead I just spit my beer on the guy.

Posted by: mhartz1 | February 16, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Yes and YES. I'd tell her leave the boots on.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 16, 2010 10:48 AM

Oh, no doubt. Doggystyle too.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

this is the 2nd day in a row that I've been accused of posting fake PFT stuff, and I'm starting to get pissed....Its REAL...do people REALLY think I make this stuff up....sucks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 16, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Definitely make her leave the boots on...maybe a hat too.

Posted by: mhartz1 | February 16, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Nothing screams out "cancel us" quite like interviewing a f-ing pothole.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 10:43 AM

I respectfully disagree. Potholes have a right to be heard too. Their views have been too long suppressed. They're not even allowed to post on RI.

Pothole, meet kettlehole.

Posted by: Agree2Disagree | February 16, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

B
e
e
p
s

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 16, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

so is it me, or when you utter this, do you lose all credibility:

"MistaMoe and RedDMV spit the truth and really know their football knowledge"

I mean, next he'll say that 'truth' had a personality that grew on you, or that the 'marty email' guy wasn't insane...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 16, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

so is it me, or when you utter this, do you lose all credibility:

"MistaMoe and RedDMV spit the truth and really know their football knowledge"

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | February 16, 2010 11:05 AM

Yes, but not for the reason you think...saying someone "knows their knowledge" is redundant at best, retarded at worst. I expect that from the Korean guy who learned English from Rosetta Stone, not from an RI lackey.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 16, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Maybe in a year, more likely two, will Colt actually be NFL starter ready.
Posted by: TWISI
____
Think that is all I'm saying.. maybe. But we will never know until gets a shot. And just to clear something up.. his rookie year he was great (and yes he played against 3rd string.. but he also played with 3rd string players meaning he had the OL that couldn't beat out the OL who was backup to the crappy OL the Skins had. And he wasn't throwing to Moss and Cooley he was thowing it to guys you are loading selves at Walmart now.) These are his stats... "Brennan led all 2008 NFL rookies in touchdown passes, passing yards and quarterback rating through the preseason .[22] He finished the 2008 preseason with a strong performance, going 36-for-53, for 411 yards and three touchdowns and with no interceptions. For the preseason, Brennan's completion percentage was 67.9% and his quarterback rating was 109.9." NOT freakin bad. And yeah last year he wasn't as good but last year he was hurt in the first preseason game so hard to judge. Everything else "mechanical issues" comes with practicing and playing. Hey Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez.. these guys weren't at their best when they started.. and neither will be Colt. But they won and they got good fast.. and so could Colt...

Posted by: sovine08 | February 16, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 15, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse
=========================================
Hey RedSkinHead, let me put your concerns at ease. Kelly only has three routes to learn: blast (i.e. the 84 yarder against SD), Skinny Post, and the curl. At 6' 4", he's not going to break away from a lot of people, but he will out jump them. It worked for Burress in NY and dude shot himself in the leg! If that guy can do it, Kelly should turn out to be a HOF. The kids' a genius compared Burress.

Posted by: clark202 | February 16, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

If they want to utilize Kelly more the first thing to do is get rid of the overrated, underachieving, whining , crybaby Campbell. Until that happens, it's just wishful thinking.

Posted by: theBozyn1 | February 16, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I feel bad for Joe Flacco

Posted by: DesiHungama | February 16, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

kelly has good speed for a man of his size and his knee problems as far as last season was concerned are in the past, did not hear anything about his knee all year. jerry rice had only 4.6 speed in the 40 yd dash, mike quick(eagles) had 4.6 speed also and made it to 5 pro bowls(if injuries had not cut him down he would be in the hof). If shanahan does as he said, find ways to get the ball to kelly(and the other receivers) passing game will explode. draft down NO clausen, or bradford (unless they drop to 3rd or 4th rd) rebuild o-line get a rb, linebacker, dt, maybe a corner or safety.

Posted by: wathu19 | February 16, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was not smart.

WTF was he doing?

Kelly cant run routes? Really? I find that hard to believe. I mean, he seemed to get open in college, no? That's why you pay him, right?

And now, his job is to perfect his route running, working against great corners, and he receives payment in the millions for this, but, for some unknown reason, he just cannot seem to learn when to jab step, when to lean, when to put feet on the ground and cut...?

Bull F-ing Shti.

Posted by: Thinker_ | February 17, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

and it wasn't JC17 that threw the fades to Kelly, it was Colt Brennan... right before he broke his hip joint again.

And, yes, Kelly looked like an idiot the way he went for the ball. Scary how little coordination many of these "athletes" have.

As long as they can run a 4.40 in a straight line, doesn't matter if they can catch, cut, land, think, lead...

That's why there are so many of them running around NOT earning their contracts... because simple-minded, no-talent "evaluators" have screwed up again and again.

But, the stopwatch doesn't lie. And neither does the game film ; when a fade hits you in the back of your helmet, you did something wrong.

Posted by: Thinker_ | February 17, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please explain why we would be even considering Bradford over Clausen, everything I've seen shows me little difference in the two except Clausens' already in a pro style setup, and from what ive seen his qb iq is off the chart? Anyone w any insight please help

Posted by: jefferboy | February 17, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@TubularBells... I may have missed your point, but WHAT does Drew Brees, his doctor and his surgury have to do with the Redskins'?

Posted by: oda155 | February 18, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Why in the world are there no thoughts on Mr. Marko Mitchell? The man catches everything! Put a few pounds on that guy and you will have a beast!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 21, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse