Kelly Is Hitting His Stride

With the 53-man roster set, the Redskins on Monday will begin preparing to face the New York Giants in the season opener at Giants Stadium.

"Malcolm really came along this preseason," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "He got a chance to get back into the feel of the game. He's still learning how to improve, but I do think that the way he reaches out and catches the ball is very ... I'm very excited about it. I just think he's going to be a tremendous player.

"He definitely can make plays with his height and strength. And seeing how hard it was for him last year when he was hurt, and with a lot of people doubting him, for him to come back as strong as he has ... it's impressive. You can't help but be impressed with what Malcolm has done."

As a rookie last season, Kelly played in five games and had only three receptions for 18 yards while struggling with a knee problem the Redskins were aware of when they drafted him. He had microfracture knee surgery in the offseason and began camp behind fellow second-year wideout Devin Thomas in the competition to start opposite split end Santana Moss.

Officially, veteran wideout Antwaan Randle El also was in the mix to retain the starting spot he held his first three seasons with the team. In reality, however, it was a two-man race between Kelly and Thomas because coaches envisioned Randle El being more productive as a slot receiver.

Kelly quickly closed the gap during camp and took the lead as Thomas seemed to disappear mentally for a couple of weeks. Beginning his second season in the league, Kelly has already experienced - and overcome - a lot, he said.

"It's especially a good feeling because of coming from all I came from last year ... it was hard," Kelly said. "Being hurt and everybody saying this and saying that. The whole time, I knew. I said to myself, 'Once I get healthy, I can do this.' It just feels good. I can't even really express it. But it's all football. No matter what level, if you can play you can play."

There were times, however, Kelly wondered whether he would ever regain the form that helped him become a standout receiver in college at Oklahoma. "I used to always call home and talk to my parents last year," he said. "They would always tell me, 'You can't please everybody.' But just doing it for myself and my teammates, just pleasing myself, that's what it's about.

"It's one thing to say it, but then when I go out there and I do it, yeah, I know I can play football. ... Even with everything everyone was saying about me, and I wasn't half the player I knew I could be, yeah, you start to doubt yourself. I'd be lying if I said it never gets to you. It's just a total different thing now."

In 2008, Campbell was part of a Redskins contingent that conducted a private pre-draft workout with Kelly. After his throwing session with Kelly, Campbell gave management a favorable report about him.

"I go out there now and I make the plays. They throw the football to me and I catch the ball," Kelly said. "That's the main thing, and just trying to be a security blanket for Jason. He doesn't have to throw a perfect ball. It doesn't have to be within a foot around me. It can be wherever. He has confidence that I'll go get the ball. He's shown me that over the last few weeks.

"There's still a lot of stuff I still need to work on. I'm not going to say I can't get better because I can with [running] a lot of the routes. But as far as confidence, as far as [saying], 'I'm going to slow down when I run this route because it might hurt,' that doesn't even cross my mind. Now, I go out on the football field and I just go."

By Jason Reid  |  September 6, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: One Man's Take on Redskins' Cuts
Next: Five for the Practice Squad

Comments

a 2011 pick, wow a FIRST rounder for Seymour

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 6, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead:

Busy day today. No time to respond to the stupid media. Scourering the waiver wire for additions to the 53 man roster and put together an 8 man Practice sqaud that will consist of:

Dutch
Daniel
Glenn
Dixon
Young
Holmes
Agnone
One from another team

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

4thfloor

"...One from another team..'

Hopefully, that player is a tackle.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 6, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"...a 2011 pick, wow a FIRST rounder for Seymour..."

Gotta a question: who'd you rather have, Seymour or Haynesworth?

Gotta a better question: how slick is Bill "Da Cheata" Belichek when he can trade his starting quarterback one year--M Cassel--and his starting monstah d-tackle Seymour the next?

Gotta start thinking about making moves: in light of the Seymour trade, you ask yourself, "Is there a player on the skins' roster worth trading for picks in a likewise fashion?"

Gotta whiff on that one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 6, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

When is the Devin Thomas experiment going to be over? We need OL tackles that can stay healthy. Cheers

Posted by: MPNangle | September 6, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Buges or the Front Office had Jon Jansen starting last year!!!!

NUFF SAID

Posted by: seanjo93 | September 6, 2009 11:39 AM

And that's why they went young this year....

They've learned.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Loso can go. I mean I like the guy and he is a good corner, but...

A. He don't like ti here.
and
B. He is always injured.

trade him somewhere that is desperate for CB help and hope to get a 1st or 2nd and 4th.

Posted by: ATLredskin | September 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

mistamayor

"....I expect to see second-year wide receiver Malcolm Kelly with the first-team offense as the starting flanker...."

That means the wide receiver depth chart looks like this:

Moss
Kelly
Randle El
Mitchell
Thomas

...but at the end of the second, it will look like this:

Moss
Kelly
Mitchell
Thomas
Randle El

...which means the 'triplets'-- Kelly, Thomas, Mitchell-- are the team's future and need to be on the field as much as possible.

Again: Randle El is just collecting a check in my world.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 6, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

When did Cerrato start working for the Raiders???

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 6, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, Loso can go. I mean I like the guy and he is a good corner, but..."

Trade Carlos Rogers....

....in his contract year?

....while he has value?

....you trade him if you can get a 3 rounder which means you replace what you lost for the Jarmon move?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 6, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I am happy for Kelly. I said all last year give him time and I feel the same way about Thomas.

Posted by: jm220 | September 6, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Trade
Betts, Devin Thomas, and ARE. All are average at best and may bring in a player or two and picks we'll need. Can't be afraid to make changes when you are an average team.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 6, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I have a question for all of you here on RI. What position do you think Orakpo will be playing two years from now? Do you think the Redskins really see him as a linebacker, or do you think it is just a temporary move?

Posted by: mardiros | September 6, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Ya'll can bash Vinny all you want but I think this team is a better team from a personnel/talent standpoint. I DO NOT THINK THIS IS SUPER BOWL TEAM, but a better one from last year, here's why...

1) It was obvious they wanted to fortify the D-line. We drafted two keepers in Orakpo and Jarmon. Drafting Barnes was a good move in that you can never have too many DB's.

2) After watching JC this preseason, it's obvious that he is a better QB when he has weapons. Malcolm Kelly caught a ball that Moss or ARE would have landed out of bounds. We are young at WR but we have size and speed.

3) Our backup players on the O-line are questionable, but I think Vinny can really call this a good offseason with a pickup or two at Guard and Tackle off the waiver wire.

4) There is definitely a different approach since Vinny moved into his new position. Gibbs overcommitted to veterans, while it seems like Vinny is trying to get younger.

I still think the Skins have many questions which is why I can understand a wait and see attitude...

Posted by: rickyroge | September 6, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

4thFloor,
I am mostly in agreement. However, I would like to see them snag Cedric Peerman, who the Ravens cut, as part of a project, and then grab some young offensive linemen from around the league. I think a guy like Edwin Williams can be demoted to the devleopmental roster if the team is able to sign a solid veteran offensive linemen (Pashos - I'm thinking Pashos).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 6, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

This is why "fans" are "fans"....why would you trade Thomas now? He didn't have the greatest preseason, but that doesn't mean he can't help this team.

Why is it when we aren't patient as a team we scream about needing to have patience. When we don't exercise patience we rip the FO?

Posted by: rickyroge | September 6, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Ricky,

Not too much to disagree with on your post. I guess I'd rather have taken an O-lineman versus Barnes though. Still, they have been and are a middle of the pack team and I think you have to get younger. they did that. Here's hoping they address the O more next year.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 6, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

When is the DEVIN THOMAS experiment over? Well, he was a second rounder. That pretty much guarantees four full seasons even if he doesn't smell the field during that time. After that, the next coaching staff will say to VINNIE "please shop him, he's useless." No stupid takers later he's cut in the fifth pre-season. OR you can believe the current staff who says he's finally starting to come around. I thought I saw limited progress this x-season. Maybe he'll finally get serious and want to carpe diem the wonderful opportunity he has to play a child's game in a man's world. Oh, and become independently wealthy while doing it. The jury's still out on that one. Are you listening Mr. THOMAS?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 6, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

seriously....that sounds even more stupid of a trade than JTaylor for a second and a sixth, especially knowing that the first round pick is likely going to be top five...

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 6, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

They only way you can view the Skins is "Prove it" I think they have a team to prove us right/happy...but thats why they play the games....

Posted by: chrislarry | September 6, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

DAVIS cannot beat out TODD YODER for the second TE slot? Bad, bad. Guaranteed TE pick in the next draft or a FA pick up who can play.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 6, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Are the Skins really 23+ million under the cap now?

Posted by: siris | September 6, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Stop slandering Randel El - lest ye cast him aside - the guy is all class, is an offensive swiss army knife and is always making clutch catches and picking up yards. Jason is comfortable throwing to him and he's going to be open more with the emergence of MK and DT.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 6, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

1. DON'T TRADE THOMAS !!! Why trade a WR before his 3rd year. Plus this is a WCO. We need WR's and if our young guys can develop then Campbell can have alot targets for many years.

2.I like the Cedric Peerman talk. He was cut, because the backfield in Bmore is crowded. I actually like that guy. Drop Rock and add Peerman. OR we can pick up LaGarrette Blount as a undrafted FA next year (don't shoot me guys, just some food for thought)

Posted by: ATLredskin | September 6, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrooklynSkins

A Swiss Army knife is nice, but I'd rather have a DAGGGGGER!!!!

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 6, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

No one is trading Devin Thomas, no sense in getting worked up about it - and Mitchell and DT backing up Kelley's knee is a blessing. No one is trading Carlos Rogers (the tough love he's getting is called "coaching"). Everybody chill.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 6, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

shoulda took a lineman instead of cody glenn, why take a lb who was a rb until senior year.

Posted by: drewkinnear | September 6, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

One from another team

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 11:38 AM

Not today. We have to wait and see which guys are claimed by their original teams. Maybe tomorrow.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

What time is PS announced?

Posted by: chrislarry | September 6, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mardiros | September 6, 2009 12:07 PM

They see this as an experiment. If he's good at SLB then they have a choice to make. If he's not, then he's a DE. Everything to gain, nothing to lose.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I still think the Skins have as much as chance as any team to win the NFC East. Still don't know why the Eagles have been annointed.

Posted by: rickyroge | September 6, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

From RI: "And when players return to work, I expect to see second-year wide receiver Malcolm Kelly with the first-team offense as the starting flanker. Kelly earned the spot on the strength of his impressive preseason performance, and the Redskins are excited about what he brings to the passing game."

After Reid got badly outscooped by ESPN and others on the Skins QB roster situation you wondered if he was pussy enough to go back to writing fawning drivel about Skins players and it looks like he is.

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

(Kelly) is going to turn out to really be a stud. He has great hands, deceptive speed, and can leap out of this world! He almost reminds me of a young Michael Irvin/Chris Carter... The front office gambled on him because of the knee issue, but it turned out to be a great investment.

But I just want to shed some light on a horrible investment that we selected in the 2009 NFL Draft and his name is Kevin Barnes! Now Vinny is my man, but he had to be on heroin for selecting this bumb! I watched the last pre-season game and he was getting smoked all over the field! Forget being a back up corner for an NFL franchise.. He looked more like a 3rd string cornerback for a struggling pop warner team! Then ontop of that, he's slow. (Not to mention the fact that he weighs about 75lbs).. I have hemroids larger than Kevin Barnes!

So Vinny (my man).. How about we change (Barnes') position from Cornerback to Waterback? lol

Posted by: hightek82 | September 6, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I have hemroids larger than Kevin Barnes!

Posted by: hightek82 | September 6, 2009 12:47 PM

I thought so. It shows up in your writing.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

glawrence007,
They haven't posted the depth chart yet, have they? And, if Yoder does beat out Davis, it's only cuz Yoder is a better blocker. Either way, Davis will get more playing time this year and he'll have playmaking opportunities. It's up to him on capitalizing.
mardiros,
Orakpo and Jarmon should definitely be viewed as the future DEs of this team. I think Orakpo's performance this season will determine his position next year. If he makes plays as an LB in space, they may want to keep him as a hybrid. But I personally would just like to have him add 10 -20 pounds on his frame, and line up opposite Carter as an end.

Posted by: pgugino | September 6, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, Loso can go. I mean I like the guy and he is a good corner, but..."

Trade Carlos Rogers....

....in his contract year?

....while he has value?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 6, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

maybe its just me but I think the Jarmon move took balls and will prove to be a steal. I'm not tootin Cerrato's horn, (personaly i think everytime he's in fron of the camera he looks like he's been doing meth for a week) But the truth is the truth and he has made a number of good moves the last 2 years.

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | September 6, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ATLredskin | September 6, 2009 11:55 AM |

Dude - you're hanging fever dreams if you think anybody would give up a 1st or 2nd for him, even in desperation.

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Trading Rogers doesn't make any sense to me but we still need another veteran CB because Rogers has that nagging calf injury and Smoot has been known to kinda injury prone and if we loose either of those guys we would be screwed!!!How about adding another O-Lineman who actually has some experience? everybody is saying Pashos but any young O-Lineman released who has a relative amount of experience would be a plus to our O-Line.

Posted by: robbkels | September 6, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 12:56 PM

Oakland?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

There is a lot of silly jibba jabba up here today. Trade Devin Thomas? Are you kidding? He may not have beatean Kelly, but he wasn't a bum this offseason either. Coming out of college, Thomas had a longer way to grow in terms of being a wide ou than Kelly. This offseason confirmed that. However, Thomasa has skill sets that Kelly doesn't and vice versa. All the WR, including ARE, are needed this year if the passing game is to dynamic.

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

BUT Smoot plays hurt. he doesn't sit out for an abdominal cramp. Remeber the chicago game 2 years ago when he snuck back on the field. Everyplayer gets hurt but not every player will play through it.

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | September 6, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 12:56 PM

Oakland?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 12:59 PM

Haha. I wish. They didnt even give up a first rounder for D. Hall...

Posted by: mardiros | September 6, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

They didnt even give up a first rounder for D. Hall...

Posted by: mardiros | September 6, 2009 1:01 PM |

All that proves is that Atlanta didn't ask.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Mista Moe,

1. You couldn't be more off about Randle El. Explain how, when having a career year last year, he ends up as the last WR on the depth chart after Thomas and Mitchell. Thomas is the most inconsistent WR we have. I think he'll get better this year, but still.

2. Please DO NOT EVER refer to our wide receivers as the f'ing triplets. ARE YOU KIDDING? Call it the New "Posse" or make up something else. But seriously, the freaking triplets? I guess while you're at it, go ahead and call DeAngelo Primetime after his first pick this year...

Posted by: trolly_time | September 6, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The Pats made one of the best moves by trading Seymour, to replace him they will bring in Kevin Carter and probably get the same production and end up with 2 1st rounders in 2011 and not have to fork over all that money Seymour wouldve demanded next off season or how about they are still targeting Julius Peppers and now they have the ammo needed to trigger the deal with the Panthers!!! Good deal Bill Belicheat

Posted by: robbkels | September 6, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Justin Miller would be a solid #5 CB... don't you think so ???

Posted by: ATLredskin | September 6, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Haven't posted in a good while, but now that the roster has been finalized, I guess I can put in my five cents...

If the Skins knew Brennan was hurt during the first preseason game, they should've put him on IR right then and there. I would've traded for another QB like Josh Johnson from Tampa Bay. Other than that, I have no issues with the roster. I'm ready for 9/13. HTTR!

Posted by: JinxMan | September 6, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MPNangle | September 6, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

With the emergence of Marko, DT is expendable. I doubt there's any interest him though.

Posted by: saqster | September 6, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Justin Miller would be a solid #5 CB... don't you think so ???

Posted by: ATLredskin | September 6, 2009 1:07 PM |

I'd take him over Westbrook because Miller can return kicks as well.

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again. It went from trade Randle El to trade Devin Thomas now. Good grief, atleast see what he can do this season (he might at the very least become a good return man and effective receiver/threat in 4 WR formations) before reverting back to Madden 09 trading block fantasies.

Posted by: ga8085 | September 6, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree with you more ga8085. I'm pretty sure that's half the foundation of the negative sentiment towards a number of the Skins players. Some of this stuff is just plain ludicrous.

Posted by: trolly_time | September 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | September 6, 2009 1:19 PM

Thats Madden 10 to you mister!

Posted by: mardiros | September 6, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Ok last post of the day, because I rarely post on here, but J.Ried I would like to thank you for influencing me to pick up Malcolm Kelly on my FF team. They also use you as a source to confirm his #2 spot. If your wrong you will look like a fool though.

So heres to all the Malcolm Kelly owners (all 2% of them) for picking him up. I'm pretty sure he will be solid this year.

Posted by: ATLredskin | September 6, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me we finally have a decent group at WR, after at least three years of crapola; why are you in such a hurry to break it up?

The official name for DT, FD, and MK is the "fiesta trio". Please, we've been over this multiple times.

Zorn has made his moves, now it's time to make the right calls on the field. I like somebody's prediction of 8-7, we'll just cancel the last game in order to guarantee a better-than-.500 finish.

Posted by: daggar | September 6, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

ATLredskin lol. I picked Kelly up in the 14th round myself..we'll see.

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Now all that needs to happen is for Kelly to be P. Burress (on the field, not off it obviously) & catch the red zone fade and slants. Devin Thomas is the wild card for the Skins because of the variety of places he can play (slot or flanker), and the speed he posseses (screens, drags, and reverses). ARE will be great in the slot, but the test will come next Sunday in the OLine having to run and pass block against the best DLine in the NFL...

Posted by: bernard_thompson | September 6, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

With the emergence of Marko, DT is expendable.

Posted by: saqster | September 6, 2009 1:15 PM

If I were building a team, I would think my future lies in Kelly, Marko, Thomas. ARE is expendable, not Thomas. And later, Moss.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I have hemroids larger than Kevin Barnes!

Posted by: hightek82 | September 6, 2009 12:47 PM

I thought so. It shows up in your writing.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 12:48 PM |

You know, I was just thinking how lucky RI is to have such a witty, humorous, knowledgable poster as you! Makes it a lot easier to put up with the FIREJIMZORN's and HIRE_MARTY_S's of the world.

Note to high: the sp on hemorrhoids. I was tripped up by that very word in a grade school spelling contest. My mom made a big stink about expecting 6th graders to know how to spell a word like that. Years later I told her it could have been worse - I could have been asked to spell "syphilis".

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Shawne Merriman busted for battery, false imprisonment
Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2009 1:22 PM ET
The days prior to the 2008 regular-season opener were dominated by discussion regarding whether Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman would be able to play due to a torn PCL.

This year, the question is whether Merriman will be able to play after allegedly assaulting a D-level television celebrity named Tila Tequila.

Merriman allegedly "choked and physically restrained" Tequila as she tried to leave his San Diego residence.

He was taken into custody at 3:45 p.m. local time and charged with battery and false imprisonment. Tequila was taken to a local hospital for treatment

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I thought Joey Galloway was going to be the #3 target on the team so I got him in the last round in 2 of my leagues. Now they are talking about he was close to getting cut. I had to let that man go.

Posted by: ATLredskin | September 6, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 1:29 PM

They might have been the big hemorrhoids he was referring to.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Tequila was taken to a local hospital for treatment

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 1:31 PM

This is a "man bites dog" story. Usually tequila sends men to the hospital.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Trade Carlos Rogers....

....in his contract year?

....while he has value?

Posted by: MistaMoe |

There's a genius move. It's called "writing off the 2009 season."

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 1:31

No big surprise. Similar type mayhem has occurred on her "beyond the pale" TV show, "A Shot at Love". Or mebbe I should say "beyond the pile".

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

“… Thomas seemed to disappear mentally for a couple of weeks…”-RI, The Mayor.

How many times do we have to read sentences like this to take a wild guess on what may be holding up Thomas’s progress? I used to be fluent in “Media” but I’m a little rusty. Still it seems unlikely Thomas’ll be lost to the team by accepting a Rhodes Scholarship.

I’d rather have a whip-smart, less-physically gifted receiver on my team any day.

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 1:31

She was probably trying to leave with his wallet.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 1:29 PM |

...and of course your contribution was much funnier and full of wit. At least your level of knowledge allows you to spell syphilis. I'm sure that it's very useful in your life.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

Oh what the heck, what is everyone's prediction for the regular season.
I'm on record as predicting 9-7.
BTW, the only fantasy football league I'd like to be part of is the one I heard someone on ESPN say. He said if Beyonce and friends wore cleats and helmets in their undies.........

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 6, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS

My sources tell me Marcus Mason has made the Redskins 53 man roster. The team has not informed Mason yet but will do so by tomorrow's roster deadline.

Stay tuned for more breaking news from the Barno.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Barno's the first to break another local sports story.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Lions flip O'Connell to Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2009 1:52 PM ET

The Lions are making full use out of their position as the team with first priority in the waiver process.

They surprisingly snagged quarterback Kevin O'Connell last week. And now they've traded him to a new team.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Lions have sent O'Connell to the Jets.

Compensation for O'Connell isn't known.

Coincidentally, the Jets host the Patriots -- who picked O'Connell in the third round of the 2008 draft and who surprisingly cut him -- on September 20.

The move shows that the Patriots could have (and arguably should have) tried to trade O'Connell in lieu of letting him walk, and this could fuel speculation that coach Bill Belichick was trying to slide O'Connell to former Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli, whose Chiefs were No. 3 on the waiver priority list.

So, the Pats look smart when they look smart, but other times not so much.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

It's obvious that Jason Reid is being smug yet again in this piece. Goes out of his way not to mention Marcus Mason, even though he knows full well that he is well ahead of Alridge and every Redskins fan knows this. Yes, we get it Jason Reid...you don't think Mason will make the team...we get it. But to pretend as if Alridge might make the team over Mason is utter lunacy.

Jason La Canfora would be proud.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Uh, maybe the reason Reid is reporting that Aldridge will make the team over Mason is because that's what his sources in the organization are telling him is true. And maybe it's a good idea!

Posted by: dc-nc | September 2, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I can't help but read this and laugh.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

“… Thomas seemed to disappear mentally for a couple of weeks…”-RI, The Mayor.

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 1:54 PM

Tard - Someone who acts unintelligent either purposely or accidentally.

"What a forking tard!"

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2009 1:57 PM |

Ouch! Cut me to bone dude. Touche.

Posted by: ElDrano | September 6, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

WTF are yall talking about.. Its WAY to early to talk about dept chart stuff...Even if Fred Davis is 3rd on the charts.. He HAS TO BE technically... the 2nd TE is usually lined up over by the left tackled and that TE HAS to be able to block VERY good.. Which is Yoder.. occasionally they will slip Fred in there to block and go out in routes.. which will make skins very unpredictable...

Posted by: cocodc1 | September 6, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

So, the Pats look smart when they look smart, but other times not so much.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I can't see too good - is that you, Mr. Berra?

Very psyched about Malcolm's development. Only question with is/was always his health. Guy's gonna be a stud if that knee holds up. Thomas hopefully will take it as motivation if indeed Kelly beats him out, if he stays hungry he will be a major factor as well. Cannot wait for next Sunday!!

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 6, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Let's quit with the fantasy football trading stuff... Not gonna happen.

I'll tell you this. I went to preseason practice last year and was watching the two rookies (DT/MK). Let me tell you, I thought that MK was head and shoulders above DT then. He was ALWAYS getting open, separation from the CB's. DT, not so much.

I think MK is a better football player and if he stays healthy will be a GREAT player. Big if I guess. And I think DT will be a better player than most think.

Posted by: carocanesfan | September 6, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"Touché" is only fun if you misuse it to mean 'good point,' like this:

Guy 1: "Let's go to Mickey D's for lunch."

Guy 1: "Great, I've got a coupon for two Big Macs for the price of one."

"Guy 1: "Touché!"

Office meeting:
Guy 1: "

Posted by: farstriker | September 6, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Lost ADixon to Iggles. per PFT:

With Feeley gone, Vick stays on the exempt list
Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2009 2:25 PM ET
When word broke that the Eagles would be cutting quarterback A.K. Feeley we assumed (ass-you-me) that this meant Mike Vick would head to the active roster, where he would have been permitted to practice for the duration of the two weeks of his suspension.

As it turns out, the Eagles have instead claimed defensive tackle Antonio Dixon off waivers from the Redskins.

Maybe they'll spend a day or two de-briefing the Redskins about their offense and defense for 2009, cutting him so that Vick can then practice.

Until then, Vick will be on the exempt list. He can attend meetings, but he can't practice.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 6, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Dang!

Eagles got Dixon!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Again: Randle El is just collecting a check in my world.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 6, 2009 11:57 AM
Give the guy a break, he was never intended to be a # 2 receiver; nobody ever pretended he had the tools for that. He thrived with the Steelers as a slot receiver, that's what he was supposed to do here, and I'll betcha he will excel again now that he can again play to his skill set. It wasn't Randles' fault that Brandon Lloyd decided to wait to join the Broncos to start playing football again.

Posted by: kenboy1 | September 6, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Too bad about Dixon. I thought he showed some potential.

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS

Stay tuned for more breaking news from the Barno.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

First to break the story, yet again.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 1:57 PM
_______________________________________________

Barno1 you should have Jason Reid's job with WAPO.... Because Jason is the last to know any football related news...

Posted by: thebanker21 | September 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

hah. Barno working at the Post...now wouldn't that be something.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | September 6, 2009
I like the way Thomas can weave through heavy traffic after a WR screen or on a reverse. When he gets his timing down with JC, I can see him taking some quick slants to the house. He seems to have good hands. So he's been a bit slow picking things up. Let him back up Kelly this year and see where he's at in December.

Posted by: kenboy1 | September 6, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Barno working at the Post...now wouldn't that be something.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 3:08 PM |

I think it would "be something" if you had any job more responsible than delivering pizzas.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Kelly - 7 for 69 - long 21 - 1st down % 57.1
Thomas -7 for 67 - long 16 - 42.9

Both of these players stats are 1000% better than last years pre-season stats. That's how it works, players learn and get better or they are gone. Not every player can contribute right out of the gate.

And Thomas not only returns kicks, but makes tackles.

Does anyone remember when he knocked the crap outta J. Cribbs and fired up the whole team who drove down to take the lead???

how about the ensuing kickoff that was almost returned for a TD, until #11 knocked the crap outta that guy too???

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 6, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

the Cribbs play was a block by #11

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Look at our former son Martin Mayhew(former Redskin DB an current Lions GM) all grown up:

>>>The Detroit Lions have traded quarterback Kevin O'Connell to the New York Jets according to a league source.

Per our source, the compensation for O'Connell is currently unknown.

O'Connell is headed to New York today and was finalizing his travel arrangements after being informed by the Lions of his second change of scenery over the past week.

O'Connell was with the New England Patriots before being cut and replaced by undrafted rookie Brian Hoyer as Tom Brady's backup.

Way to go Martin. You used your waivers spot to monetize a guy you knew had value.

THAT is using your front office commodity trading skills.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss
Malcom Kelly
Mark Mitchell
Antwan Randle-El
Devin Thomas

sick WR group! Best in the NFC BEast

Posted by: TheTruth11 | September 6, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

thank you, Mr Blache, for continuing your blind loyalty to old players, like Wynn, looking for one last paycheck, at the expense of another potential quality lineman..Antonio Dixon

happy for him.. sorry for us..

Posted by: shally | September 6, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

From redskins.com, the PS so far

Lendy Holmes S Undrafted Rookie

Rob Jackson DE 2008 7th-round Draft Pick

Trent Shelton WR First-year Player

J.D. Skolnitsky DE Undrafted Rookie

Eddie Williams FB 2009 7th-round Draft Pick

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we lost Dixon to the Eagles off of waivers.

Posted by: clark202 | September 6, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

And Thomas not only returns kicks, but makes tackles.

Posted by: pabrian2003
________________________

If DT11 can get the focus/discipline (and he's only just starting his 2nd year, and WR's usually take a while to develop), from what I've seen, he could be a great one. He has real speed, great aggressiveness/physicality, he's a big target, has very good hands even when getting hit/mauled by the DB.

Having him, MK, and MM along with ARE in the slot where he belongs, and of course the great but oft-injured Moss... I'm very happy with this receiver corps.

I really think this Redskins team is 1 or 2 O-linemen and a PK away from lots of fun and playoff games. Plus we really needed on-the-field leadership, and I think we got this at least on the D side with Big Al. Still no vocal leader on O though.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 6, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Lendy Holmes S Undrafted Rookie
Rob Jackson DE 2008 7th-round Draft Pick
Trent Shelton WR First-year Player
J.D. Skolnitsky DE Undrafted Rookie
Eddie Williams FB 2009 7th-round Draft Pick

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2009 3:30 PM

You mean that barno1 didn't get the scoop on these picks? We have to read 'em up here, first?

I guess he's not going to be working at the Post after all. Barno1, how quickly can you get me a large meat lover's with breadsticks?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

....... Still no vocal leader on O though.

Posted by: chasgiffen

I agree on the WR's, Finally we got 3 - 6'4" ers

Campbell is stepping up to the leadership role. He's not a vocal flashy leader, neither is Eli Manning. There is a core veteran group that sets the tone at each position: Samuels, Moss, Portis, Cooley, Sellars.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 6, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I've noticed that Devin T is way more focused on catching the ball, you can see him physically pausing to make sure his has the catch before trying to run.

Kelly is more polished and will start and has won the battle for now, but it looked like they will have plays and/or series designed to get the ball to Devin.

It's GREAT to see JC be able to throw the ball to Kelly, even if he's covered, knowing Kely can out muscle and out reach the CB.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 6, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

And the Saints signed Chase Daniel --he chose them over the Redskins; and Cody Glenn signed with the Colts..
Two guys I thought the Redskins would put on the PS! DANG!

Posted by: wagenstill | September 6, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Okay fellas, I'd love to be able to dump anyone I thought was dead weight too, but umm, there's this thing called the SALARY CAP, and we have to abide by it, or we forfeit draft picks...

Now AR-E is bulletproof for a while due to the cap, and also right now, he's our #3 QB whether we like it or not.

AR-E is pretty versatile, and that's nice for depth so let's ride that thought for one more season.

Devin Thomas right now is a much better returner than he is a WR...in fact I'd say he's on the road to being the next Desmond Howard. Great if you need a sweet returner who is an almost average WR, not so much if you want to build around him as a WR.

Kelly and M. Mitchell are a fine young foundation at WR. With Cooley at TE and "Sleepy" Davis coming along, too that's a NICE start to a young, solid offensive core at the Skill positions.

Heyer will make the RT job his own this season, with Dockery at G and Geisinger & Montgomery (C/G) coming up down the road, we've got some nice young linemen too.

We'll need another young Tackle to bring up, and some depth.

Let's focus on the good, eh?

Posted by: ThinkingMan | September 6, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse