Kelly Lifted by Healthy Knee, Work Ethic

Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, was criticized by some in the media for selecting wideout Malcolm Kelly with one of Washington's three second-round picks in the 2008 draft.

Kelly had a knee problem the Redskins were aware of when they made him the 51st overall selection out of Oklahoma and, as a rookie, he played in five games and had only three catches for 18 yards. He underwent microfracture surgery on the knee in the offseason and began camp behind another second-year wideout, Devin Thomas, in the starting flanker competition.

"He just needed to get healthy," Cerrato said. "You see what he's done when he's healthy."

Kelly is expected to open the season as the team's No. 2 wideout behind Santana Moss. If Kelly has a productive season, would Cerrato feel vindicated for picking him?

"I'm just glad he's healthy so he gets a chance to show what we knew he could do," Cerrato said. "I'm just happy that the knee is cooperating. I think you have to give him credit for doing all the rehab and all the work.

"He stayed every day after practice. [The team likes his] work ethic and what he's shown. And he's a different kid. He's much more confident. I'm happy for him and I'm happy for us."

By Jason Reid  |  September 8, 2009; 5:50 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Woodson a Mole? Not Really, Zorn Says
Next: As Openers Go, This One's No Cupcake

Comments

Hope this is only the first of many big seasons for Kelly. Luck of the Irish, and all that!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to say, "Good morning sports fans."

Posted by: RITCA | September 8, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to say, "Good morning sports fans."

Posted by: RITCA | September 8, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Dang you T_E....go back to bed.

Posted by: RITCA | September 8, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Good game last night between Miami and FSU. Clinton and Santana must be happy.

Posted by: RITCA | September 8, 2009 6:15 AM | Report abuse

ESPN's Redskins preview...damn it almost every one of their "experts" put us in last place:

My favorite line: "The Redskins may be the best last-place team in the league." In a weird way, it's somewhat reassuring...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2009 6:18 AM | Report abuse

Most of their "experts" are geeks that play fantasy football and have no business giving their two cents on how good the Skins will be....um nevermind.

Posted by: RITCA | September 8, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2009 6:18 AM |

My favorite line is "The 'Skins don't have a clue. They take a stud like Orakpo and take away his training wheels and play him at SLB. That's why this franchise will never get out of last place." Okay, three lines.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Unless you are rooting for your alumni. College Football is lame. I would rather watch the AFL then college ball.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 8, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

The NFL is unpredictable from season to season, so the "experts" don't have a clue about us or most teams. Besides that most of them have a crush on Dallas...

Posted by: Jason10 | September 8, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Until this team actually performs and wins the division, why would you expect any of the "experts" to believe in them. Do you really believe the skins are better than the Giants, Philly and Dallas? They have to prove it on the field...until now, they have continually come up short. Cheers.

Posted by: MPNangle | September 8, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

College Football?

Remember in the past 30 years only 8 different teams have won the NBA Championship.

I'd be willing to bet that only 8 different teams have won the College Championship in it's history.

College Football?

For the same concept Brad and Angelina won't get married..Wake me up when any team in college has a chance to win the Title! It's funny how it never seems to bother anybody that in general the elite teams remain elite and then there's the rest of em.

College Football?

Boooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: Vicc | September 8, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

"There was a time when NFL scouts would crowd about for an FSU v. Miami football game. Tonite's game will prove that time has long past."

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | September 8, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MPNangle | September 8, 2009 7:31 AM

Unless you're T_E. He believes everything Vinny and Larry Michael tell him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

He believes everything Vinny and Larry Michael tell him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2009 7:46 AM

I am so out of it. I know Vinny and I read quotes from him up here. But I don't know who Larry Michael he is. I know there is a lot of hate for him up here, and I'd be willing to take a stand for or against, but I don't even know or care what he says. I have no more idea how to listen to him than to a radio broadcast from Mongolia.

And, yeah, I am predisposed to believe Vinny or the coaching staff -- Zorn, Blache, Bugel. I think they're more credible than the posters up here.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

"College Football? Boooooooooooooooooooo..."

The complaint about college football is indeed with the BCS Championship 'good ol boys club' where the same elite teams meet in mid-January.

It's about time the greedy folks running the college football plantation sat down and drafted a logical playoff system.

The other thing they need to do is explain how they can still make money off a guy's image through jersey/video games sales well after he's out of school.

Don't hate the game of college football.

Hate the money-grubbing players who run the NCAA.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

MALCOLM KELLY and MARKO MITCHELL = the dynamic duo.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MPNangle | September 8, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

They sweept the eagles and split with the girls last year,so yeah i do think that they are better than those two..The gints we'll have to wait and see about that.

Posted by: jumbo5383 | September 8, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Yoder

"Moe...come on man, you live in Florida right? You should know that scouts were there in full-force to get an early look at all the freshmen and sophomore talent."

Miami has the talent.

And no matter what happens this season, Randy Shannon should be given the chance to 'coach it up'.

The Canes invented speed and swagga, and if they regain their footing as a dominate national team, the ACC-easy chants will start to go away.

'Cuz right now, they won't.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 8:08 AM

Nobody said otherwise. Just don't expect me to join you when you bend over to enjoy the sunshine being gently blown up your @ss by the Redskins media machine. I used to fall for that when I was young and gullible, but I've been fooled too many times to do it again. If you're a glutton for punishment, that's your deal.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

MALCOLM KELLY and MARKO MITCHELL = the dynamic duo.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 8:12 AM

I really believe that this is our best opportunity in several years to have an explosive offense...I'm crossing my fingers.

Posted by: scottmando | September 8, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

"MALCOLM KELLY and MARKO MITCHELL = the dynamic duo."

Actually, we like the "triplets":

Malcolm Kelly
Devin Thomas
Marko Mitchell

In today's NFL, three solid wideouts are most necessary.

Don't believe me?

Ask the cardinals.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26:

I linked to the site you posted. Noticed none of the talking heads mentioned JEREMY JARMON. By that tough second half, he's going to make a positive difference on the d-line. And CHRIS WILSON is coming on at linebacker. The defensive achilles heel is going to be a fourth corner. Really is the only weakness other than another true outstanding linebacker. HENSON will be solid over his career, but not standout.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Actually, we like the "triplets":

Malcolm Kelly
Devin Thomas
Marko Mitchell

In today's NFL, three solid wideouts are most necessary.

Don't believe me?

Ask the cardinals.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2009 8:23 AM

I'm sorry, did Santana Moss get traded last night? Why is he not in the WR conversation here?

And don't ever, ever, ever use the term "triplets" for a Redskins team. That's a Dallas thing and I want no part of it. We'd all be arrested for attempted murder if the Cowboys ever called their line "the Hogs"...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe:

I don't believe you.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 8, 2009 8:27 AM

I think that omission was on purpose...the talk is that Jarmon is going to be used only sparingly and that they target 2010 for him to really have an impact. Besides, this team's ridiculous dedication to the elderly tandem of Daniels and Wynn will likely keep him off the field anyway.

We'll see what happens at LB. I just pray that nothing happens to Fletcher because this team is screwed if he goes down.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 8, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

We have 5 guys at WR who I trust to actually make a catch on this roster for the first time in a long time. Just play to their strengths and we will see a solid year for JC17.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 8, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 8, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

One thing I didn't understand in the ESPN projected rankings was that apparently a strength of the team is AH and yet if BO doesn't come into his own our pass rush will absolutely suck. It makes little sense. They apparently also haven't seen the improvement in pass protection of the 1st string OL and how much better JC is passing the ball overall and taking more deep shots, while making more of them. Having more than one WR who can catch deep balls is going to open up our offense, no doubt, and now we have 3.

I don't think their opinion means much considering that they didn't even take into account the fact that the Philly defense lost their coach, their front 7 leader (Bradley) and the leader in their secondary (Dawkins). The lack of leadership in that defense will make it look like swiss cheese for at least the first half of the season no matter how good the new DC is.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | September 8, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse