Kelly says he and Thomas 'feed off each other'

Second-year wide receivers Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas and tight end Fred Davis have made more plays recently while showing signs of developing a productive partnership with quarterback Jason Campbell.

Of course, it could all end soon. Coach Jim Zorn is not expected to return for the 2010 season, a new coach might scrap Zorn's version of the West Coast offense and Campbell will be a restricted free agent after the Super Bowl.

The Redskins have invested a lot in Campbell, Kelly, Thomas and Davis, and Kelly hopes they get the opportunity to continue to grow together.

Injured tight end Chris Cooley "used to be really Jason's No. 1 target, and now that Fred has jumped into that spot, now it's Fred," Kelly said. "He's getting his confidence up every week. And as the weeks go on, Jason seems to have more confidence in throwing the ball down the field to me and Devin.

"It's just kind of crazy. I don't know if it's just that we're so anxious and so hungry when we're out there, speaking on me and Devin, but we really feed off each other. And it seems like no matter where we are, if the route breaks down or something goes wrong, Jason is going to find one of us now, some kind of way. And he's done that with Devin the last two or three weeks."

Something definitely is developing among the four of them, Kelly said.

"I think we're all starting to gel together and you really saw it against Philly," he said. "We came to the sideline after that first drive and were like, 'Man, we're about to go out here and make a difference today.' And we did. We went out and made a few plays."

Campbell has had his best stretch of the season while playing behind a patchwork offensive line that is considered among the league's least effective. He is a much better quarterback than his critics realize, Kelly said.

"The thing about Jason, man, is that a lot of times people ask, 'Why did he hold onto the ball? Why didn't he take off running? And until you see the film, you don't know the exact answers to all these questions. And with him, a lot of times, he makes good throws, he can make plays with his legs but ... I just don't understand how easy people think it is when you keep switching offenses and coordinators and all this stuff.

"You're trying to bind all this in your mind. You know what I'm saying? And then you try to go out and perform on the field. That's hard, man. That dude, he has as much of a big-time arm as any another QB in this league. Now the stats might not say that. And how some games go might not say that. But as far as pure arm strength and ability, he's through the roof. He just needs to be able to stay in the system. And if it could be my vote, I would vote [for Campbell to remain with the Redskins]. I really would."

By Jason Reid  |  December 3, 2009; 2:21 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gray knows what to expect from Williams' defense
Next: Gray believes Hall may play but wouldn't start

Comments

skins930

I keep saying that chances are, Heyer will get an extended chance to be left tackle next year--no matter what we bloggas think.

I think the team will feel that Heyer will make a decent left tackle, and will defer drafting a starting left tackle.

The second pick should go to a college left tackle who gets moved to starting right tackle.

The first pick should go to Spiller.

This is a mix of what I think and what the team tends to do.

Which means none of this will probably happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

FIRST to say they must be zombies.

Posted by: REXskins | December 3, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Still about Jarmon, can someone explain why it was required of us to use a 3rd round pick to get Jarmon? Why didn't we just get him in the last round? Why at that point, that late in the draft, is this guy who wasn't picked by ANYONE, worth a 3rd round pick in the following year. I just don't understand how it makes sense that he fall so low and still cost so much.

Posted by: REXskins | December 3, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Kelly doing enough to be worth talking to ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone name any linemen of the offensive type who were drafted lower than the 4th round and turned out to be any good?

The saints actuall have a guy I was pimping back 2 years ago, Carl Nicks, and another guy I liked 2 years ago Brandon Keith, of the AZ cardinals....bigger cats, 6'5, and 340 range, maulers...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: REXskins | December 3, 2009 2:36 PM

It’s like a game of chicken, or a silent auction, where you cannot see the other team’s bids……skins used their 3rd rounder thinking that a bunch of teams that were “ahead” of them in the 4th round were willing to use their 4th pick on him. I think from all of the articles that came out around that time, if they hadn’t used their 3rd rounder on him, they would have lost out to a team ahead of them in the 4th, so it was a good move…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 3, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

In 2009, Kelly + Thomas = Todd Heap

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 3, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

rex, after the draft he was booted from the team for an NCAA violation, so he applied for the supplemental draft.

he didn't declare for the 2009 draft, but he was suspended for the 2009 college football season....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I have high hopes for these dudes. Next season I want them to get three catches each per game! The sky's the limit.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Rex, plus he wasn’t yet eligible for the April draft when it happened which is why he wasn’t picked. And the overall opinion seems to have been that he would go in rd2 of next years draft, so it could be looked at as a steal, plus you get him a season early….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 3, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

nate, hopefully a new coach throws them the ball and has a clue how to use them...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

greg, more than your flux capacitor is broken if you are going to have the coach throwing to the receivers next year.

just sayin...

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 3, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I remember that pimp job, bean.

I can't remember who I was leaning on like that, I think I'll go and find out...

If I recall right, didn't Nicks' stock drop like crazy? He was rated high at one point, so for him to fall past the fourth round his stock had to nosedive.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 3, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Heyer will be our starting Left Tackle next year so we don't need to bother trying to draft one?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ......

Posted by: edvar | December 3, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

No doubt about it, Greg. I want ARE off the roster next season, and I want these two dudes and Marko doing damage out wide with Santana playing mostly in the slot. I want a competent coach. I want an offense that instills fear in opposing defenses. Hell, I want lots of things.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 3, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

red, I think Nicks got into a drunken fight/arrested, IIRC......who did we take in the 5th in 2008??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

i love the fact that our FO cant take hints, when we won 3 super bowls, we did it with the Hogs, the last time we drafted a o-lineman in the 1st round (Chris Samuels)he ended up having the best career of the decade, (best player, Sean Taylor)
draft o-line

correct me if im wrong on drafting o-lineman and how it has turned out for us when we do draft them

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 3, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm out for the day.

Peace

Love And

Soooooouuuuuulllll!!!!

(INSERT image of afro-ed Don Cornelius and Soul Train dancers groovin' in the back.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

That sounds like Alex Boone from Ohio State.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 3, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Nicks, for example, started every game this year, and 13 last year, and in that time from, gave up 2 sacks total, and got called for 7 penalties....

Good thing we couldn't use a guy like that....I mean, 2 sacks and 7 penalties that sounds like a quarters worth of work for this current OL...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Time for Gray to step up and bench LL if this is LL's attitude about his game. Absolutely no excuse for not making that tackle.

-----------------------

LANDRY DEFENDS HIS GAME

Free safety LaRon Landry set his sights on Philadelphia Eagles receiver Jason Avant in the fourth quarter last Sunday. Avant was streaking down the middle of the field and hauled in Donovan McNabb's pass 23 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Landry lunged at Avant above the waist, hoping for a highlight-reel hit. But Avant just bounced off and ran for 23 more yards. It was a crucial play on the Eagles' game-tying touchdown drive.

Such failed attempts have been too common for Landry during his three-year career.

"It all comes down to really recognition, where you're at on the field, the situation," Landry said. "Sometimes I don't make the best decisions of that. Sometimes I do go for the knockout instead of the sure tackle, but that all comes in the flow of the game. If I feel kind of hyped or so enthused and I try to knock somebody out. It's all part of playing football."

So will he change his approach?

"I'm going to play my game," Landry said. "That's what I'm going to do."

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 3, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

curz, thats just unbelievable...Landry is gonna play his game, and Rogers will tell you there's nothing you can do about the dreaded double move....

how about less excuses, and more plays....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Yup. Time to sit him down. let him think about things a bit.

Posted by: edvar | December 3, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 3, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

eff these polls

Posted by: jonthefisherman | December 3, 2009 8:32 AM

Polls are the second best thing on this site. Best thing, of course, is your fresh, insightful analysis. I live for the polls and for your comments.

Posted by: League-Source

Wow you sure are Mr. Snarkity-Snark today, with all your snarkity snarkin'. Lots of snark. Whats' the matter Snark got your tongue? Snark enough for you? How's it snarkin'? Take two and snark to right.

Posted by: TheCork | December 3, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

The first pick should go to Spiller.

This is a mix of what I think and what the team tends to do.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 3, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I can't see the 'Skins taking a running back in round 1 next year. There are over 7 and a half million reasons that Clinton Portis will be the primary running back next season: the number of guaranteed dollars that the team foolishly agreed to pay an aging, injury-prone and declining player. The best that we can probably hope for would be someone to share the carries, preferably a back with some speed who can catch the ball out of the backfield. You can find those players in the later rounds. It's a lot harder to find top-quality left tackles in later rounds; teams jump on them as if they were made of gold. My dream scenario? LT in round 1, RT in round 2, RG in round 3 (if neither of the Williamses pan out), speedy running back somewhere thereafter.

Posted by: rbpalmer | December 3, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Amazing!

If we don't win another game this year...

3-13

we may still pick 8th

If we do...

they will draft Spiller

We need an entire O-Line, but us fans would be cool with this pick...

your thoughts

Posted by: skinsbacker | December 3, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

L Landry = Bust!

Kelly + Thomas = Busts!

Mr. Snyder will stick with hsi investment, Moss, El, Trash, Portis are more than capable and next year when healthy they will prove all u so call fans wrong. It is Mr. Snyder's team afterall not yours. I wish Mr. Snyder would take the team somewhere else.

Posted by: Incognito00 | December 3, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

_____
And if I could vote I'd send Campbell and you 3 clowns somewhere else next year.. None of you have lived up to expectations. Keep Cooley and hopefully pick up some productive reciever as free agents and in the draft.

Posted by: sovine08 | December 3, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

THE TRUTH

******We need to keep the team together and build the OLine up....Resign Levi, draft a tackle with the 1st, take Michael James RB from Oregon then keep drafting linemen for both sides of the ball. We just taking an unnecessary steps back if we get rid of JC! Look everyone on the team backs JC, they play in the league....I think they know was up more than all you fat over weight know it all's who sit here and put up BS all the time.

If we fire Zorn the get someone runs the west coast, we have to keep continuity. Why are Manning and Brady so good, cause they've had time in the same system, with the best Oline in the league for the last 10 years. I'm not saying JC will be Manning or Brady but we can win with him, there's no question about that. We won with Mark Rypen, give the guy a fighting chance. Get some Oline, stay with the west coast and get an explosive back!!!*******

Posted by: lhankins8 | December 3, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

hope the 3 bummarunos get swept out with cerratzo and zern

Posted by: DLESMonday | December 4, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Thomas, Kelly, Davis great game....keep up the good work.

Jason C. strong game except for the INT

Landry ??? I know you are playin out of position. AND IT SHOWS!!!

Suisham WTF!!! COME ON MAN!!!

Posted by: dc4life | December 6, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse