Redskins' Scratches Include Randy Thomas

There is not an inactive list for preseason games, but the Redskins have a list of players who are not expected to play against the Baltimore Ravens.

Among the starters, right guard Randy Thomas, running back Clinton Portis, wideout Santana Moss and cornerback Carlos Rogers are scheduled to sit out.

The backups not expected to play are guard-tackle Jeremy Bridges, guard Rueben Riley and running back Anthony Alridge. The Redskins are looking at Alridge for a potential role as a situational speed back on offense and punt returner, but he has a toe injury and has missed time in camp..

...

I had a good talk the other day with wideout Malcolm Kelly, who has been eagerly awaiting the preseason opener in Baltimore.

Kelly had high expectations out of Oklahoma as a rookie last season, and his knee just wouldn't cooperate. He had microfracture surgery in the offseason and, finally, believes he is ready to become a significant contributor to the Redskins.

"I'm ready to go," Kelly said. "I've just been working to get here. I'm not thinking about last season. I'm not saying anything. I'm just" going to play.

Many people in the organization are rooting for Kelly to have a strong preseason. Throughout our conversation, Kelly told me he expected to play a lot tonight. The Redskins, however, are leery of having Kelly play a lot in the preseason and risking a setback with his knee, especially in the preseason opener. Coach Jim Zorn might hold out Kelly or give him many fewer reps than second-year wideout Devin Thomas, Kelly's main competition for the Z receiver, or flanker, position.

Owner Daniel Snyder really wanted to draft Kelly despite the concerns about his knee, and perhaps Snyder will be proven correct.

The Redskins believe Kelly has the tools and mental approach to become a productive NFL wideout if his knee holds up.

I know the kid definitely is working hard to try to make it happen.

...

Next stop: Kickoff. Later.

By Jason Reid  |  August 13, 2009; 6:38 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game On: Who Will Win Redskins-Ravens?
Next: Redskins' Starters Go 6 Plays on 1st Drive

Comments

Good luck to Kelly... do NOT get hurt, kid. Sheesh.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

2nd that good luck to Kelly! Now kick some bird-azz.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

who has a good stream for the game?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep. Refresh for list of scratches.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | August 13, 2009; 6:38 PM ET

Right. When has Snyder ever been proven correct? I mean, aside from the time he made $2 billion selling his advertising company.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Kelly. I been with you since you was drafted

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Scratches? Is this hockey? Crap, where's the Redskins blog?!

I've never been this excited for a preseason game 1. My addiction to the Redskins is real bad this year.

Posted by: Section104 | August 13, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Darn it, wanted to see Bridges in action.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

If nate gets any more siced he's going to hyperventilate. Nate, you taking any special precautions tonight not to lose it here in the pre-season opener and miss the entire season? I think Mrs. Nate might want to limit your plays tonight.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Medication is the key, t_e. Strong medication.

Evelle Snoats: "Oh, H.I., you're young and you got your health. What do you want with a job?"

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 13, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Sony was just on980. He is not very high on Colt and said he really has to work hard to stay on the team.

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

With Bridges out more face time for BMW. And w/ no Alridge means more Dorsey. I'm looking for Kelly and Thomas to have 6 catches for 72 yards combined.

Posted by: visionof75 | August 13, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220
________________

Did Sonny say why?

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Interesting jm, and we've all been worried about Campbell's job.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 13, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

From an earlier post ...

"I figure this is all one big conspiracy theory. Snyder and Vinny are letting the offensive line fail so that JC looks bad"

Makes perfect sense....in idiotville, population, YOU....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 13, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Greg. It was said in jest. Pay attention, guy. I knew someone would get on here and make a comment like you did, which is part of the reason I left that kind of post, anyway. C'mon, man.

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

As Rick Maese tweets: Scratches mean Betts is starting RB, DThomas starts in place of Moss, Rinehart replaces RThomas, Smoot starts at CB and KGolston is at DT.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so exactly what is going to happen up here when Colt is shown the door in favor of Chase?! Could be interesting!

(There is a REASON that Colt is no. 3 and not no. 2 and therefore, should, in no way, be no. 1 unless there is some freak Campbell/Collins injury).

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 13, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

who has a good stream for the game?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Try channelsurfing.net. There's a link to tonight's game there, but right now it's showing the NBC feed from Austin, so I'm not 100-percent sure it will be showing the game. If it doesn't, I may not get to watch it down here in NC.

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

In case you were worried about the Ravens -- yeah, right -- Maese tweets: Forget about seeing SRolle, TSuggs, JGaither, MClayton and MYanda.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

ty cdon

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

been waiting for the surf feed to change too...hoping and waiting.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 13, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

who has a good stream for the game?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CDon
________________________

It's being shown on the NFL network delayed (Friday morning I think)... so I'm recording it on DVR...

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Some earlier mentioned that it would be replayed on the NFL Network at 3pm EST tomorrow (not sure if that's right or not, but passing it along).

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 13, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

channelsurf channell advertised as the game is skins is showing wheel of fortune....radio feed for me

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: suzannepdc
____________________________

This is correct - 3pm EST Friday on NFL Network.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 13, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

wHat Cl? Your not gonna hang with Pat Szajack?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 13, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I had no idea that Al Saunders was with the Ravens now; apparently as a consultant.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | August 13, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

larry michaels is such a dueche...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Vick to the Eagles.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 13, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

where can I hear the radio broadcast? live in FL and outside of redskins radio reach. also checked the channelsurf.com page and it too is showing wheel of fortune..

Posted by: saltine182 | August 13, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 7:34 PM

They tricked cl! cl--It's code:
Wheel of Fortune = Redskins hamstrings

Stick with it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 13, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

try iTunes radio broadcast...they may have a Baltimore or DC radio feed.

Posted by: Section104 | August 13, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

espn980.com

Posted by: Rusty6392 | August 13, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

is anyone else having a problem with their FIOS service right now? Mine isn't letting me change the channel.

Posted by: gaholtzman | August 13, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Question for RomoLongBalls, are you really Tony Romo?

Posted by: dcsween | August 13, 2009 1:27 PM

Yes, sween. It's me. Ever since my girl left me, I've been hanging out with lotion looking at pictures of Pam Grier, though.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 13, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Geno: They're matriculating the ball right down the field...or they were when he said it.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

good looking out. thanks rusty.

Posted by: saltine182 | August 13, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

espn980.com for audio

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 13, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

what up, moe? can't say I blame ya, nice video.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 13, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

nothing wrong with a little fighting

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

gaholtzman, unplug your box for about 10 seconds and then plug it back in. Resetting it should probably fix that problem.

Posted by: kyureosity | August 13, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Hagans needed to come down with that, altho it was high. DeAngelo Hall had mentioned earlier this summer how much he liked Hagans, especially in the wildcat...

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Larry Michael is so awful. I'd almost rather not listen to it. Bring back Frank Herzog. Michael is a hack.

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

and down goes golston, but back up

Posted by: skins1110 | August 13, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Golston is slow getting up...

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 7:49 PM
==================

understatement of the year.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

herzog was sharp. fletcher's lost a step. I'd take flacco in a heartbeat.

Posted by: saltine182 | August 13, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Cindy doing play by play ... and its coming thru ahead of Sam and Sonny on the internet feed

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

romo

"...what up, moe? can't say I blame ya, nice video...."

The Pam Grier Youtube flick?

Thank 4thfloor for that.

That chick is worth the price of the tickets.

I wasn't kidding when I said one of those shots and a half.

But for right now, I'm hating on directv. I can get soccer games from Germany, but a football--skins v. poe-birds--game from Owings Mills, MD is blacked out.

What's up with that?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 13, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

So thoughts on JC's first drive? I feel like he is making his reads quicker, that high pass who knows what happens depending on who the WR is.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

alex, you get

for draft sorting and stuff?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 13, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

F ESPN Gamecast

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Passes are rarely "perfect" we need receivers who actually go get the ball. Too many times last years bounced of shoulders, hands, chests, fingertips ect...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Um, Betts' name is spelled B-E-T-T-I-S on his uni.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Anybody find a feed?

AND YES I KNOW NFL IS REPLAYING TOMORROW

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 13, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Um, Betts' name is spelled B-E-T-T-I-S on his uni.

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 7:57 PM
---

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA

'Skins must've gotten the same uniform company who did the Natinals jersey's.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Corndog!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

for those outside of the area looking for feeds, I signed up for fieldpass at NFL.com for 29.99. Now I can listen to all of the preseason and regular season games. So far so good, it's been working great on my wife's mac book while i sit out on the porch drinking tecate's.

Posted by: buke | August 13, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice stop by the D.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 13, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Its bad enough the GD feed is F'ed up on channel surfing...but we get GD TEXAS TV?!?!

F * C ! L

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 13, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice stop on D

Posted by: jm220 | August 13, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: buke | August 13, 2009 8:01 PM
-------------------

Tecate's?

I'm so sorry.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm only listening, but that defensive unit didn't seem to provide much resistance to the Ravens.

Posted by: CDon | August 13, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | August 13, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

throw it downfield!!!!!!!!!! just once

Posted by: skins1110 | August 13, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

buke, is that fieldpass audio only.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 13, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Beepage.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 13, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

It that Larry Micheals asking what a slot receiver is?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 13, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

sam huff thinks ARE is a real good punt returner....

Posted by: saltine182 | August 13, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Tecate's?

I'm so sorry.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 13, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Said the man who calls himself Poopy Mcpoop...You can keep your snotty beer and attitude cause i'm in the mood to punch someone in the pelvis. Come on over.

Posted by: buke | August 13, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Dude, stop saying Z, or flanker, position. It's getting annoying.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 13, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse