Kelly struggles to fit in this offense

After seven games, second-year wide receiver Malcolm Kelly has seven catches for 73 yards with no touchdowns. He was demoted to second string after Washington's fifth game and has no receptions in the last two games.

This wasn't the type of season Kelly envisioned after he worked hard in rehabilitation from microfracture knee surgery and impressed enough in training camp and the preseason to be named the starting flanker. But nothing is guaranteed to anyone, Kelly said, and he has remained upbeat and focused despite his personal situation and the team's horrid performance in a 2-5 start.

"I'm good," he said the other day. "Just working on my routes every day and the things they want me to do. Just trying to be positive and be ready. That's all I can do."

Kelly's knee problem, of which the Redskins were aware when they drafted him, ruined his rookie season. The former standout at Oklahoma played in only five games in 2008 and had three receptions for 18 yards.

With Kelly having gained so little experience last season, "I have to remember that this is like my rookie year. A lot of the things that they [the coaching staff] want me to do better is stuff I didn't get a chance to work on last year. All I can do is keep doing it now until I'm where they want me to be with it."

Coach Jim Zorn demoted Kelly and elevated second-year wideout Devin Thomas in large part because Zorn was dissatisfied with Kelly's route running. The thing is, though, Kelly was never known as a great route runner in college. What he excelled at was using his size (he's listed at 6-feet-4 and almost 230 pounds) to out-jump and outmuscle smaller cornerbacks.

If the Redskins wanted a precise route runner, drafting Kelly was a curious move, one that might indicate that the front office and the coaching staff, which is still mostly directed by Zorn, might not have been on the same page.

"Even last season when he was struggling with his knee, you could see Malcolm is a very impressive young player," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "Nothing has changed. I still think Malcolm can have a great future in this league."

But perhaps not in Zorn's version of the West Coast offense.

By Cindy Boren  |  November 7, 2009; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alexander stresses special teams' need to improve
Next: Three for the play-calling seesaw

Comments

of course front office wasn't on the same page...they are reading a different book..called f things up

Posted by: cosmiccatnip1 | November 7, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I agree. ARE has lost some of his quickness. Hall and Moss should be back there early in the game, let ARE go back if we ever get a lead. He still has good hands, and a good right arm.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2009 2:00 PM |

At this point this season is done. Best that can come from the remainder of the season is to make sure the young players are developed for next year.

To me this means it is time to make Moss the punt returner for the rest of the season even if it risks an injury (qualifier: I do not want to see Moss injured). I would not mind seeing MM and MK in the starting role along with DT and Davis.

The shame is that we do not have a young QB in the 53 man roster to start to develop.

*sigh*

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Royal, Donny Avery and DeSean Jackson were available when Cerrato picked Thomas. Different page, different book, different universe.

Posted by: TheCork | November 7, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell said, "Nothing has changed. I still think Malcolm can have a great future in this league... after I'm gone, of course."

Campbell added, "But so long as I'm taking the snaps here in Washington, I don't see much role for Malcolm here. Frankly I can't find him when he's open and even when I can find him, I can't throw that far."

Posted by: Vic1 | November 7, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

True Cork, but what you don't get is that after zorn bamboozled Dan and Vinny with his brilliant WCO he said to them that he wanted tall WR for his O and a top pass catching TE in order to make it work.

Maroon and Black idiot!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Vic1, I think what JC said was "I can't throw that far accurately."

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

god this is so negative dude. they tried throwing to him in the end zone last game! get your facts straight mayor, i know we suck, but damn, this is just bumming me out now.

Posted by: BMACattack | November 7, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I think what JC said was, "you know the whole organization is one gigantic Cluster-F. Mostly because of the owner! Even if Kelly and I were All-Pro it would still be screwed worst than Hogan's goat. If you don't believe me then ask Champ Bailey who most definitely is All-Pro.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

JC also followed with: "and any fans who still can't see that after so, so many years deserve to be Cluster F'ed.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

What gets me Peri is why Dan did not let JC throw that pump and fake to Moss. Made JC look like a CFL QB. And the way that Dan is making JC fumble this year is just driving me nuts. He needs to stop immediately.

Any way you can get Riggo to talk to Dan about this?

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I think the mindset that Royal/Jackson would have worked here is mis-guided at best. I mean, look how they use/misuse MK. This is a WCO or so I've heard, yet no slants are thrown to him the biggest WR on the team. No fades are thrown to him. What makes anyone thing that had Royal/Jackson been drafted they'd be successful here. I mean, Jackson is successful, because he's used properly, and McNabb is throwing him the ball. It took Cooley getting hurt for them to finally use Davis, so to just think that Royal/Jackson would be successful here is a stretch at best. I mean, how successful can you be catching ZERO passes like MK the past few weeks........

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 7, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

John Corcoran has a solution to the Redskins biggest problem--make 'em an offer they can't refuse.

"I’m the first unlicensed Genius to suggest the Redskins turn it around by adapting a successful business practice of one organization that has thrived for more than a century. This outfit has gotten through recessions, wars, and the untimely death or incarceration of many of its leaders without missing a beat and while continuing its extraordinary profitability...."

Complete column at:

Posted by: TheCork | November 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Gee Curzon, maybe we should ask Matt Ryan and Drew Brees first?
Matt Ryan: 12 TD's, 9 INTs, 2 fumbles (both against Dallas plus TWO INTS in that game! And TWO against New Orleans? FOUR sacks in Dallas? But JC, nah his line is good enough?
On to Mr. Brees: People have always been pounding on Drew Brees because of his inconstency, this year he already has 6, yep, SIX interceptions and six fumbles, and 11 sacks. He had TWO fumbles against Miami and 1 against Atlanta. THREE, YES, THREE INTS against Miami!!! They WON BOTH GAMES!?
You know what, I told you this was bound to happen this year. And its not because of JC. Definitely NOT all his problem. And if you can't see that you might as well join Snyderato as a fan who has no clue about what's really going on.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Vic1, I think what JC said was "I can't throw that far accurately."

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I think what he said was, "These dudes keep jumping out of bounds to catch the deep ball."

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 4:33 PM

First of all Peri, what would either Ryan or Brees know about Danny not letting JC complete the pump and go to Moss?

I have never said that JC is the only problem, but he is definitely a big part of the problem.

You find it reasonable to put a lot of the blame on CP, but not JC. I may not be the fan you are, but I also don't think I have the tunnel vision you have in regards to what is wrong with this team.

Me, I would not be disappointed one bit if JC, CP, JZ and Vinny are not Redskins next year.

Oh, and both Ryan and Brees may also be turning the ball over, but atleast they are helping their teams win. JC is not. Ryan has 12 TDs, Brees has 16. How many does your boy JC have?

Thought so.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

A good coaching staff knows how to use people like this, a poor one just throws up their hands and comes up with excuse after excuse after excuse.

Pretty sure Micheal Crabtree didn't know crap about the routes he ran the other day and I never heard that Plaxico ever wowed anyone with superior route running; somehow their coaches managed to come up with wayts to get them the ball though.

Posted by: Megskin | November 7, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

greg, the Skins don't have the coaching staff to teach the young players on this team the way Jackson and Royal do. IMO, the three young "pass catchers" would be productive if they had been drafted by these other teams.

Of course I have no clue what going on so never mind my comment.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

JC has been sacked TWENTY TIMES! Given JC's sheer athleticism and mobility it probably should be around THIRTY OR MORE!! YES, the OL is REALLY THAT BAD! It isn't even CFL level at this point. Maybe Arena league. He has only lost 3 total and we should thank our lucky stars that figure isn't more because of his athleticism. Eight TDs, and SEVEN INTs.
I don't give a ratsA^^hat about JC. He's gone next year. Unless he is a fool. I don't think JC is a fool. I do know that any other QB, say a Brees or a Ryan would have been slaughtered behind this line. They need to make fixing the offensive line the highest priority ... and they need to do it through the draft. Pointing fingers at JC is just what Vinnie and Danny have been doing to avoid doing the right thing, and what needed to be done. And that is all that is important.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

You find it reasonable to put a lot of the blame on CP, but not JC

JC doesn't come out and slam his offensive line, even though he is getting slaughtered. Now does he Curzon? JC doesn't undermine his coach, hurting the team now does he Curzon? JC doesn't avoid practice and spring training, et now does he Curzon? And if anyone has a right to ... he does given what this owner has done to him. Are you that dense or is just a bad day for you?

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Is this part of the playoff personnel that Vinny Me put on the field. The guy runs slant routes behind the safety. He is a good college player but he will not play in the NFL. The Redskins do not have a scouting staff. Vinny me cannot put together a team. This draft choice is a bust-like every draft choice that Vinny me makes. It is guys like this that make the Redskins the worst team in the NFL. 2-14 is almost impossible but Vinny Me can do it. Tell us about Chad Rinehart. Another bust. Has only been on the field once in two years. How is that for a third round draft choice.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | November 7, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

The problem with your argument Peri is that JC sucks because of the OL and the team Vinny put around him, but CP just sucks.

I personally think JC sucks and CP is no longer the player he used to be.

Like I posted earlier today, I hope that the Skins do not draft a QB in 2010, but work on the OL, so not sure what your arguing about. From what I have seen of JC since he has been here tells me he sucks.

Agree to disagree if you want.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Desean Jackson and Eddie Royal (both drafted after the Skins big three) needed one training camp to get their routes. How many years does this guy need?

And Fred Davis had to be taken back to Pop Warner type training.

Cerrato and Snyder did not do their homework on these three guys.

Posted by: hz9604 | November 7, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Brees: 11 sacks.
Ryan: 9 sacks.
Campbell: 20 sacks.
should be 30.

Guess that would have no affect on throwing TD passes now would it?

Agreed, and Snyder and entourage gets thrown in. Campbell should not come back. The well is poisoned. They have to get someone else. CP is almost worthless. Zorn, just isn't ready to headcoach. And Vinny is a complete disaster.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 4:58 PM

JC may not do what you what CP does, but maybe he should. JC is way too medium to be a QB in the NFL. No passion. My problem with JC is that he is not a leader the way that Brees is.

But maybe it's just me being dense...

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

It occurs to me that we may actually win tomorrow - why? Well bye week + huge chip on every person's shoulder + we have nothing to lose = a complete game with actual offensive drives that score in the redzone and take time of the clock and defensive stands limit the other team and get a takeaway or two. . . of course this is the 2009 Skins who seem to like to talk but dont' back it up on the field . . .but hey you never know. . . aren't we allowed to have one Sunday of joy just one please . . .although I think I'd prefer it against Dallas.

Posted by: sfskin | November 7, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Mow we are going to be playing against some good defenses now, what is the over under on how many games before Jason Campbell is on injured reserve?

Posted by: m_p_holmes | November 7, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Curzon you are either bitter, got up o the wrong side of the bed, or really having a bad day? Mark Rypien and Jay Schroder were really terrible quarterbacks. Schoeder got run out of the league pretty quickly ... Rypien learned enough from Gibbs and company to stay afloat for awhile mostly as backup. BOTH were decidedly a lot worst than JC. Light years difference truth be told. JC is that much better. But both of those guys helped get the team to the NFC championship game and the superbowl. You tell me how that is possible?
The Redskins and the SF 49'ers had the best offensive lines in the entire NFL. That's why. You can't have a real offense without a reasonably capable line. That's why management starting building one around book-end tackles Jansen and Samuels. That ended when Snyderato came. Snyderato == PROBLEM. JC's issues == SYMPTOM.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

but CP just sucks.

CP doesn't suck he is just a narcissistic jerk. And I would much rather have Champ Bailey ... but you know what? Snyderato chased him out of town too. Again, Snyderato == PROBLEM. CP == Symptom.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

This little episode should make us appreciate what Gibbs did in '05 even more. He brings in 'his' guys (Brunell, Portis, Moss, etc) and promptly showed what 15 years of football evolution does to a scheme.

Then in he modified his playbook to emphasize Moss' speed with slipscreens, etc. (who was throwing those before Gibbs started calling them?). He modified the blocking schemes to fit Portis strengths just a bit better. He drafted Cooley and used the H Back idea to attack defenses in unpredictable ways. He used play action and bootleg action with Brunell to protect him and give him enough time for Moss to be a viable deep threat.

He adjusted. The best coaches always do. Zorn is not adjusting, and while the FO is inadequate, that doesn't give Zorn a pass for his blind allegiance to what he knows.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 7, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Snyderato == PROBLEM. Gibbs == SOLUTION. And there are still fools on this blog who think he was too old and couldn't cut it. Yeah, bet you're now wondering "if" they will ever get back to the playoffs ... not "when" as it was when he was coaching again ... getting them there twice. You deserve to get Cluster F'ed.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Look Peri, I agree that the OL is a problem and that a terrible QB like JC could win a SB if the team has an OL like the Hogs. I also agree that Vinny, with Dan's approval has not helped this team.

Where we seem to disagree on is the talent level that JC has/does not have. Rypien was a much better QB than JC IMO. Schoeder and JC are comparable IMO.

Because you do not agree with me does not mean that I am bitter, dense, clueless or got up on the wrong side of the bed. What I am is done with JZ, JC and Vinny. Getting there with CR and LL.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 7, 2009 5:15 PM

Well put!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I see your point. However, consider this in your assessment of JC:

In 1993 Mark Rypien (after winning a superbowl MVP) had seven fumbles, 4 lost, only 4 TDs against 10 interceptions, 16 sacks with what was then a completely decimated offensive line.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

@ periculum,

I tend to agree that Gibbs gave us the best chance of long term reform. I got the feeling from his Al Saunders experiment (and the 8.5 million 'assistant head coaches') that Gibbs was angling for the de facto GM.

However, Al Saunders turned out to be a bad fit, for which Gibbs was responsible. I tend to think that that failure compounded the Sean Taylor situation because sticking around would have meant that he would have had to kick some friends outta his house.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 7, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

This may have already been posted up in here but it's almost a video of us hamsters on RI minus the awesome Commodores music. . .

Posted by: sfskin | November 7, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Are we seriously debating Rypien versus JC? Come on. Really?

Comparing any era is difficult enough, but we are talking about pre-Free Agency, pre-Information Age versus Free Agency, Profit Sharing, and Information storage, processing, and analysis.

No comparison.

The athletes today are stronger, faster, quicker, and more prepared due to evolution of the tools and the game itself.

The evolution of defensive athletes has forced the offensive side of the ball to field athletes at all 11 positions - including QB. Old School coaches knock the Wildcat as a college offense, but saying, 'our 11 is going to beat your 11' is an element found in any winning scheme.

Mark Rypien couldn't play D-II ball in this era.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 7, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

We can blame the offense's stuggles on Clinton Portis. He's having a bad year and it's been clear since he's been here that when CP plays good our offense plays good. I just wish that it wasn't too much to ask for someone else to be able to win a few games for us.

He's one of the few single-back system RB's left in the league. The NFL is moving toward two RB systems. You won't see too many Rb's finish their careers with 2,500+ carries and 12,000 rushing yards anymore.

I don't blame the O-line for CP's struggles or JC17 struggles.
But I notice a lot of bloggers wanna blame the O-line for JC17 sucking, but then they won't give CP the same love. Consistency is all I ask for, which is what CP has been his whole career, btw.

CP has carried our offense since he's been here. We've wasted a lot of stellar years from him, b/c we haven't found anyone else to win a ballgame for us when he can't.

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

In the last 30 years,

Like I've said you can have a great O-line if you want, but if you ain't got that QB who can win a game for ya, then you ain't gonna win championships.

the Redskins gotta find a QB who is capable of playing at a Pro-Bowl level!

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Great O-lines don't win Championships folks.

Great Defenses do!

Great QB's do!

Oh and Peyton Manning has played with 10+ DIFFERENT starting O-lines. What, are the Colts just that good at drafting O-linemen?

Pocket movement and if you ever watch Kurt Warner play you will see that when opposing defense blitz, he gets the ball out quickly and typically to an open receiver running a hot route/blitz-side.

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

In the last 30 years,

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

In the last 30 years,

In the last 30 years,

In the last 30 years,

In the last 30 years,

It ain't gonna change this year folks. We gotta find a damn QB!

If you gamble on NFL games, just pick the team that has a better QB. You will win 70+% of the time

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Jim Plunkett has two SB rings and one SB MVP.

He's not in the HOF?

Why?

Oh, b/c you gotta have HOF #'s.

I can think of at least one Redskin who has HOF #'s and another who is approaching them!

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc

If you are a college student, you can pay your tuition using this gambling method.
*trust me*

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Periculum is seeing the situation clearly, I ditto every comment, so do most my Skins friends. Snyder ignored the OL, destroyed Campbel just like Ramsey. 100 Mil for a Def Lineman with the needs on our OL-Insane. We cant get a respectable coach to coach here. Gibbs set got things on track, set us up with Greg W as the next coach, stability, maybe Al S. as OC, but Snyder turned things upside down. Unless he completely turns the reigns over to a young promising GM we will continue this rediculous routine year after year.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | November 7, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

In 2007, the weekend after Thanksgiving, I flew out to Las Vegas and put $1,500 on the Iggles who were (+24) against the Pats Sunday Night with A.J.Feeley starting. I ended up paying for my three nights in Vegas + the Spring semester of my junior year at UMUC. It's like taking a vacation on Credit as long as you know the money is gonna be there later..right BIll Clinton?

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Peace.

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Kelly struggles to fit into this offense? Receivers are supposed to catch the football and get open. That isn't rocket science. Let's just admit that Kelly isn't fit for the NFL. But then again, there seems to be far too many Redskin players who aren't suited for the NFL that it is no wonder they can't get up on time, can't protect the football, can't block, can't get open, and can't learn a playbook.

Posted by: laserwizard | November 7, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

ONLY A FOOL would make such an outrageous inference? Are you really saying that Mark Rypien, Jay Schroeder and Joe Theismann are better than JC? Or was the team that surrounded them the best there was? Plunkett got lucky and went to the Raiders at just the right time else he two would have never seen a playoff game. As Archie Manning never did. I will take Archie Manning over any quarterback in the league today. Did that help his team win? NO. Instead the quarterback he replaced, one Billy Kilmer went to the Redskins, and yeah he did help to get them to the Superbowl. He will never get into the HOF. Over Jurgenson? Shaking head ruefully ... Especially today when quarterbacks cannot even call their own plays. Back then the QB was essential because he ran the entire offensive game plan.
So, you're telling me that you would pick a terrible team that may, may have a reasonably talented quarterback? Say like Alex Smith ... oh wait ... maybe the Jets last year with Brett Favre. Oh what a difference a year and the team you play for makes!!
I sincerely doubt that you do well in Vegas because you clearly do not know football or least today's version.

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Great O-lines don't win Championships folks.

The HOGS. Count the number of QBs they helped get to the ProBowl. In today's game where the QB doesn't call his own plays, its highly unlikely that is true. See Brett Favre, NY Jets last year. See Archie Manning, great QB terrible, horrendous team. See Fran Tarkenton, terrible teams in the beginning, better at the end. See Plunkett. See Drew Brees!!!

Great Defenses do!

This defense isn't as good as last year's but its pretty good. So, why don't they win smart guy? And don't blame Campbell. Look at the Ravens did last year with no offense and a rookie QB that had worst stats than JC.

Great QB's do!

Sigh ... Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer (did he really go to the Pro Bowl? Nah ..., Ron Jaworski, David Woodley!!!!, Drew Bledsoe? Didn't he get replaced by Brady? Chris Chandler!!!? Steve McNair??? Kurt Warner!? More like Billy the "K", Brad Johnson? Jack Delhomme? Rex Grossman? Kerry Collins??? And there are many that would argue (Iggles fans) that McNab is worst than JC!>

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres

Here's what that pencil-head Snyder needs to do to fix this. He needs to open that famous wallet of his and move Joe Gibbs racing to Virginia or Maryland. He needs to give Joe Gibbs a piece of the action: 5-10% or a bit more in ownership of the team in exchange for being the ***TRUE*** president (as your handle seems to suggest). In other words: THE MANAGING partner. Then you let Gibbs bring in the GM, Head Coach, etc. to take care of business. Snyder GIVES UP interfering in any way shape or form with everyday football operations. Instead focused on marketing, sales and building a new stadium in DC. And as McLaughlin would say: "That is all Bye, bye!"

Posted by: periculum | November 7, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

zorn is a idiot he has a guy m. kelly who has great size and hands and he is complaining that he does not run routes correctly..damm it change some of the routes to fit kelly and his strengths. zorn thinks the way he put a offense together is the only way" and needs no modification because of course zorn the legendary play caller in his own sub-standard mind says this is the way it is and should be.. this moron does not have the sense to know that he must adapt to the players he has, he is happy with the team scoring 3-4 field goals a game. this fool will have heyer starting at LT this week instead of putting in L.jones

Posted by: wathu19 | November 7, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

ya think!!

Posted by: DLESMonday | November 7, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Gee, Thomas and Kelly can't seem to figure out football at the pro level -- too complicated and requires lots of physical conditioning. On the other hand the likes of DeSean Jackson and my man from Mizzou Jeremy Maclin seem to be progressing quite nicely. This franchise has no chance under the current regime. Even if Snyder steps back and hires knowledgeable personnel people the team is still crippled by these horrible moves.

Posted by: SackMan | November 7, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Priest Holmes already has the job. Or maybe he's going to take over some of Gibbs' racing responsibilities to give him that extra time.

Posted by: daggar | November 7, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Fans aimed their questions at Campbell, who talked of how football today is more of a business than it was when Jurgensen or Theismann played. “With so many big paychecks these days, maybe guys lose sight of the Skins’ tradition. Maybe there’s less effort. Guys now feel like they can get away with anything because there are no consequences.”

This is like the second or third time where Campbell recently made comments about players' effort. He is slowly starting to throw punches back.

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 7, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Looks like everyone is part of the problem....yes, I am pointing at you!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"EVERY SUPERBOWL WINNING TEAM HAD A QB WHO HAS PLAYED IN THE PRO-BOWL, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TWO QBS. (PLUNKETT AND WILLIAMS)

Posted by: Vicc | November 7, 2009 6:55 PM"

Dear Vicc, I don't have a horse in this race...but I got to throw the B-S flag on this one.

When did Trent Dilfer (2001-SB winner), Brad Johnson (2003-SB winner) Pro Bowl?

So wouldn't that make three (and possibly four)?

Wouldn't that really shake that argument?

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 7, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

He is slowly starting to throw punches back.

Yeah, late and ineffective. Who'd a thunk?

Posted by: daggar | November 7, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Of course Kelly is struggling in this offense. Here is a list of others who are struggling in this offense:

Campbell
Moss
Thomas
Randle El
Cooley
Davis
Portis
Betts
Cartwright
Zorn
Lewis
and the rest of the offense

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 7, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

This Malcolm Kelly situation is an example of one of Zorn's shortcomings. Zorn has a big receiver that can outmuscle the defender for the ball, and who can probably catch the ball in traffic over the middle. Even though the Redskins desperately need a player like that, Zorn benches him because he cannot run a precise route. What difference does that make anyway? It's not like this is a timing offense where the ball is coming out before the receiver makes his break. It's not like JC throws precise passes. But, here we have Zorn once again limiting a young player because he doesn't do things the "Zorn way".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 7, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

WaPo's Mike Wise comments about Riggins:

"Granted, it's not exactly as juicy as typing a manifesto next to a woodpile outside a Glen Echo cabin or, going on cable television to announce Dan Snyder is evil incarnate."

That's what the Unabomber did. He lived in a cabin in Montana and typed a manifesto. He made real bombs that blew up it peeps faces; Riggo hurls verbal bombs that blow up in peeps faces.

Posted by: GasFace | November 7, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Rice would not fit into this offense, really though...WCO minus all plays that consist of WCO. Many fingers can be pointed to this problem, but it really starts with personal/coaching moves made by people with 0 knowledge or experience... Cough rich boy with his play toy that’s created a slacker get paid culture... Who on the skins are hall of fame worthy that have been picked/developed by this front office/staff in the past 10 years…?

-Rob

Posted by: rb_rivers | November 7, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 7, 2009 8:54 PM |

Slowly? Jesus. A few weeks ago he threw a roundhouse at the OL, say that their poor protection gave him a sack phobia that rendered him brain dead, not that he wasn't already so situated.

Posted by: GasFace | November 7, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

"When did Brad Johnson (2003-SB winner) Pro Bowl?"

Thinking man, B. Johnson made the pro bowl with the skins in 1999 and his first year with Bucs...

Posted by: chrislarry | November 7, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Benching Kelly because he can't run routes? I'm calling BS. That is wrong or it is on the coaches. Because people were writing about how much extra work Kelly was doing.

Something is missing in this story -- the fact that neither Kelly or Thomas seems to have pulled it together tells me I ought to be looking at the coaches.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 8, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 8, 2009 12:09 AM |

I'm hoping they get the coach who helped Jerry Rice become the player he was destined to be on staff. Oh wait..never mind.

Posted by: TWISI | November 8, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow! Just got back from the Caps game tonight. A few thoughts:

LOTS OF SCORING!!! Sure is fun watching your home team light the lamp. 7-4 Awesome!

LOTS OF JERSEYS. Couldn't believe how many fans were flying the home team colors.

Lots of kids...wearing HOME TEAM JERSEYS.

Tremendous fan support and love.

We need to send Danny boy some Caps tickets with the hopes that he'll watch and learn.

What a difference.

Posted by: edvar | November 8, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Tony Romo make Pro Bowl? Where's his SB ring?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 8, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Tony Romo make Pro Bowl? Where's his SB ring?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 8, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Tony Romo make Pro Bowl? Where's his SB ring?

Posted by: Alan4 | November 8, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

0 for 2, ThinkingMan. Trent Dilfer made the Pro Bowl in 1997.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 8, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Tony Romo make Pro Bowl? Where's his SB ring?

Posted by: Alan4
Who cares?

Posted by: rb_rivers | November 8, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering what it would be like to spend a Redskins championship season on the blog. (Very different than this, obviously.)

I sure hope we get to experience that someday.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 8, 2009 1:17 AM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 7, 2009

Blasphamy. We have Colt waiting in the wings. He is going to get his chance this offseason.

Posted by: BacktoGlory | November 8, 2009 3:59 AM | Report abuse

0 for 2, ThinkingMan. Trent Dilfer made the Pro Bowl in 1997.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 8, 2009 1:02 AM |

Hey, it was Sat night. Don't get all edged up on the dude. His synapses weren't snappin.

Posted by: GasFace | November 8, 2009 4:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 8, 2009 12:09 AM |

Or the QB for not getting the ball to them. Or the OL for not giving the QB the time he needs to get the ball to them. Or the GM for not properly assessing each WR's talent level. Or the ...

Posted by: GasFace | November 8, 2009 4:44 AM | Report abuse

From this mornings Washington Times referencing Devin Thomas:

Zorn said:

"His practice speed and his practice attention has dramatically increased, [but] he's not out of the woods yet," Zorn said. "He's still a pup in my mind. He's still climbing, but his attitude is right on. He's working like a pro needs to work, and he's earned his right to be on [the] field and us giving him the ball."

my take: Like many have mentioned, Zorn is hurting the team by not incorporating these young WRs more in the offense.

JC said:

"Devin's got exceptional speed," Campbell said. "We just gotta take more advantage of it. Those are the longer-developing plays, and right now we can't afford those. But he's got a big frame to take short passes, break tackles and turn them into bigger plays."

my take: Campbell is going to continue not to look for the long ball, because he doesn't have faith the OL can pass protection long enough.

Posted by: TWISI | November 8, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse