Kelly, Thomas Still in Battle for Flanker Role

At the beginning of training camp, Coach Jim Zorn acknowledged Devin Thomas was ahead of Malcolm Kelly in the competition for the starting flanker spot. After two preseason games, however, Kelly appears to have leaped over Thomas.

The other day, Zorn said both second-year wideouts and veteran Antwaan Randle El still are competing for the job. But Randle El is better suited to the slot-receiver role, so the battle to be the No. 2 wide receiver is between Thomas and Kelly.

Kelly has had impressive moments in each of the first two preseason games while Thomas has just kind of been on the field. And then there's rookie wideout Marko Mitchell, who was the offensive star of camp (rookie strong-side linebacker/defensive end Brian Orakpo had that distinction on defense) and scored the Redskins' first touchdown of the preseason.

Thomas was the Redskins' first pick in the 2008 draft, and he has influential supporters in the organization. He will get every opportunity to start and contribute, but the Redskins are seeking much more production from their receivers than they had last season. If Mitchell makes the opening 53-man roster, and continues to dazzle in practice, it's conceivable he could jump ahead of other wideouts on the depth chart.

I know there are still two preseason games remaining and a lot could happen. But Kelly and Mitchell are displaying their play-making ability. With the regular season drawing closer, it could benefit Thomas to perform similarly. Quickly.

By Jason Reid  |  August 26, 2009; 6:01 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cartwright Sidelined by Groin Problem
Next: Kelly vs. Thomas: Your Take

Comments

Randle El couldn't make air miss him. I can't wait til he is in the slot and catching the ball from a dead stand still and juking himself to the ground. ARE is done. Let's get some guys who can play out there. It won't help either when Campbell throws a bullet off his hands and it is tipped for INT's. Why do you think the Steelers let him go? I like the guy but come on. He is no Art Monk over the middle.

Posted by: Iceman27 | August 26, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse

I'd like Mitchell to move up the charts not so much to teach the others a lesson, but because I'd like him to be better than they are. He and Horton give you something to look forward to in the late-round draft picks. Plus, in his case, it will put points on the board.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 26, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

I like the guy but come on. He is no Art Monk over the middle.

Posted by: Iceman27 | August 26, 2009 6:27 AM

You like him? "ARE is done. Let's get some guys who can play out there." Even though he's not a HOFer like Monk, you still like him?

ARE had 53 receptions last year. He was 42nd in the league, tied with Chad Ochocinco. He actually had more yards than Chad -- 593 to 540. He's got a place on the roster this year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | August 26, 2009 6:43 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas is a slot WR too, based on his speed; he runs a high 4.3 40, but it takes a minute for him to accelerate. Kelly and Mitchell are best suited to play FL.

Posted by: bernard_thompson | August 26, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Mitchell and Horton are great examples of building through the draft. The most important thing about drafted players are youngins tryon to earn dat Eddie Money!

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

The key to this article is the line, "influential members of the organization like Thomas"--who cares what Cerato thinks? He is simply worried about his reputation. If Kelly turns out to be much better than Thomas, people will wonder why Vinny didn't select him first. We need stronger leaders in this organization that are not worried about this nonsense! Cheers

Posted by: MPNangle | August 26, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

ARE is on the way out, but first, the REDSKINS have to find a way around that silly contract they handed him. Barring that he'll be here through next season.

MITCHELL makes the final 53. HAGENS is toast. THOMAS.......just a matter of time before he's a ghost in D.C. All world in his head makes him a punk in play. He better have an epiphany, although he will be given chance after chance because the organization can't look bad for drafting him in the second round. Doesn't look like either is coming this year.

Haven't I seen this before from the REDSKINS? Remember when KEENAN McCARDELL couldn't make the team b/c of some high draft pick WR chump? This blows.

Our interior o-line is coming around. BATISTE at LG, MONTGOMERY at C, and dare I say, RINEHART at RG are starting to impress. Maybe BUGES wasn't just blowing smoke about CHAD. Still time to slide off the table though. And RG EDWIN WILLIAMS appears to have come through also.

Second string tackles continue to be problematic, and that's scary. If either SAMUELS or HEYER go down, it's Katy-bar-the-door time in ASHBURN. d'ANTHONY BATISTE is not a right tackle. DEVIN CLARK is not a left tackle. He proved it last year. Put him at RT and leave him there.

Forget MIKE WILLIAMS. The experiment didn't work. Where the hell is JEREMY BRIDGES? And who has CHRIS SAMUELS' back? Not CLARK, he of the injured knee. REUBEN who? Oh, another knee problem. Never mind. SCOTT BURLEY - another knee problem. Wait for the cut list and grab a back-up LT. The fun begins.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 26, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

I've always said that Kelly will Emerge as a legit receiver. Man it would nice to be right about something going well for the skins for once. I always seem to nail the disasters before they happen.

Posted by: Gweez | August 26, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MPNangle | August 26, 2009 7:50 AM

Blah, blah, blah. Big conspiracy theory. NASA faked the moon landing.

If you think that's the "key" you entirely overlooked the sentence "If Mitchell makes the opening 53-man roster, and continues to dazzle in practice, it's conceivable he could jump ahead of other wideouts on the depth chart."

In other words, the competition will be decided by play on the field, not by reputation. Anyway, Vinnie drafted all three of them. He looks good regardless of which of the three lands the job.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MPNangle | August 26, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

If I were Jason Campbell, my philosophy on big receivers would be "the more, the merrier". Is it just me, or does Jason seem a little less hesitant throwing into traffic when a big body is in there? He can throw it high and know only his guy is going to come down with the ball. I think this is why Kelly wins the competition. I am not throwing Thomas to the scrap pile just yet. He's got some speed and he is a very strong receiver. He's perfect for running the reverse or end around, and he can be the best blocking receiver the Redskins have had since Monk. I think he can be a player but he has to make the most of his opportunities and gain the confidence of his quarterback.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 26, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

beantown, I was wondering who would post the first "Rest In Peace, Ted Kennedy." Not you.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

sorry te, I figured at your age, you'd appreciate the Mary Jo reference......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

The Bucs are trading QB's. Wouldn't mind seeing the Redskins pick up Josh Johnson. I think the kid could be a good QB some day. Trade Montgomery.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 26, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

"I'd like Mitchell to move up the charts not so much to teach the others a lesson, but because I'd like him to be better than they are."

Really the only good reason to replace a player.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Lewis Grizzard: "My grandmother is the only woman in America who thinks the moon shot was a fake and wrasslin' is real."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

bean--Mary Jo would be 69 if she were alive today. It's been 40 years since her death.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

te, better way to think about that, is to say if you or I did the same thing, we'd be 40 years incarcerated....probably coming up for parole soon...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I watched the Plaxico Burress interview and although I still say he got less than he deserved I was a little hard on the guy. He seems truly remorseful and now gets it. I'll always be the 2nd to admit when I was wrong and so I'll say that what he did was idiotic but he seems truly contrite and I feel for him and his family. He does not come accross like the me first primmadonna I made him out to be.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 26, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

If what I remember from the 2008 draft, Kelly was always thought of as the more polished WR, while Devin had the most upside because of his physically make up. Devin gives the team some versatility in that he plays on ST. Ideally, it would be more beneficial to the skins for Kelly to be #2 and Devin #4 on the depth chart, because Kelly is a better WR and Devin a better athlete. While I like Mitchell, I'd like to see him make plays over the middle of the field before I anoint him the second coming of Marques Colston. Mitchell has a role, red zone and deep routes, areas in which the skins sorely need help. If used effectively, and the younins continue to improve, this could be a very versatile and dynamic group of WRs.

Posted by: TWISI | August 26, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Forget MIKE WILLIAMS. The experiment didn't work.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 26, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Mike Williams is a good run blocker right now. He's the best run blocker out of the three. His trouble comes in pass protection. That should improve in the next couple weeks. Even though he has trouble pass blocking he's still better than Jansen was last year. At the very worst they should use him in short yardage situations. Heyer is still weak in run blocking. I think they need to find a roster spot for BMW. He still has such a tremendous upside. Would it really be that bad if he wasn't ready until the middle or end of the season? I'd love to have a fresh tackle coming into the game at that point of the season. There's still 2 weeks left in preseason. It's way to early to pull the plug on BMW.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | August 26, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

"I like Mitchell, and think he should make the 53-man roster. But having said that, have we seen him catch in traffic yet? And can he be a possession receiver going across the middle? Kelly has a bigger body, may be more suited for that. But I'm hoping Mitchell is as tough as I am hearing."

Posted by: frediefritz | August 26, 2009 6:43 AM

If by "in traffic" you mean the middle of the field in zone defenses, then yeah we haven't seen that from Mitchell in a preseason game. But remember his touchdown came with a guy all over him that he jumped over to get the ball - and his 6'3" height made the difference there. I think that counts as some traffic. And it show that he has the height to compete for jump balls, even if he lacks the prototypical bulk to be a possession receiver. (Although I think obsessing over height and weight measures is a little overrated - Mitchell is clearly a player in the preseason. Can he be in the regular season? His heart - not weight - will decide that.)

Posted by: hithere1 | August 26, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17 I completely agree, Especially if the skins carry 10 on the OL on the 53 man roster.

Posted by: TWISI | August 26, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Let's look ahead.

I'd like to see both Marko Mitchell and Malcolm Kelly on the field wih Moss and Cooley.

Two big out wides operating with Moss and Cooley working underneath creates serious match up issues.

But if the quarterback is shaky and uncertain....

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 26, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"I like Mitchell, and think he should make the 53-man roster. But having said that, have we seen him catch in traffic yet? And can he be a possession receiver going across the middle? Kelly has a bigger body, may be more suited for that. But I'm hoping Mitchell is as tough as I am hearing.Posted by: fredie"

Maybe I missed something, but I don't recall him doing much except going downfield or jumping up to catch the ball in the end zone. Downfield he sort of reminds me of Darius Heyward-Bey (but not as speedy) and in the end zone of Antonio Gates (but not nearly as strong - in fact, he only did 9 bench reps at the combine).

Thing that seems to have surprised the Skins' coaches is his ability to hang on to the ball. A big guy who catches the ball in traffic is exactly what they need. They were looking at Kelly and Fred Davis to fill that role but if it's Marko that's just peachy.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Thomas will end up a bigger version of El I think, minus the QB ability. I could see him as a great guy to go to on the end around every year, and a good YAK guy on screens, much like we did last year.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

twisi: "If what I remember from the 2008 draft, Kelly was always thought of as the more polished WR, while Devin had the most upside because of his physically make up. Devin gives the team some versatility in that he plays on ST."

That's a fair evaluation IMO. Devin's faster overall, and more of a threat with the ball in his hands. Kelly is the long-striding type; the speed is deceptive. It's hard to dislike either one from a talent perspective. Let'em compete and that will decide their respective roles.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Best case scenario honestly for this team would be if both Kelly AND Thomas developed enough to deserve starting roles, then bump Moss into the slot, and cut ARE loose.

Posted by: nag1055 | August 26, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 8:39 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Fox reported that Ryan informed the quarterbacks Wednesday morning of the decision to start Sanchez. The Jets traded up to take him with the fifth pick in the NFL draft in April.

Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

"the ah, illustrious senatah from ah, Massachusetts, will ah not be coming ah, down for breakfast....instead the ah senator will prefer to have ah, chivas, and crown royal for ah breakfast.....where's mary jo.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 "

I'll take the Kennedy gangstas over the Bush gangstas anyday, though..

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Kelly has his doubts in the interview !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of hearing about how players are "improving". That's an excuse that I'm sick of hearing from players.

These are grown men. The maturation process should be complete the day they start earning a paycheck.

Posted by: jboogie1 | August 26, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nag1055 | August 26, 2009 9:07 AM

Zorn was saying something about that last week in this interview.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I think HIRE MARTY S. and Co. are actually JLC and some other Wise-a** at the Post..

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 26, 2009 8:46 AM

Scamp--Plaxico was hosed by a DA looking for a lot of publicity. He could have been charged with 3rd degree instead of 2nd degree. That's the DA's call. This from PFT:

"Second-degree possession of a loaded and unlicensed weapon entails the mandatory minimum sentence of 3.5 years. But third-degree possession -- a crime virtually identical to second-degree possession -- has no minimum sentence."

"Of the defendants pleading guilty to third-degree possesion, 24 percent (i.e., nearly one out of four) were placed on probation and served no time in jail. Another 41 percent served more than a year in jail, 24 percent served a year, 6 percent served less than one year, and another 6 percent served a mixture of jail and probation."

Plax doesn't deserve the jail time. He has not prior record and he didn't hurt anyone but himself. Stallworth killed a guy in Florida and served a few weeks.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jboogie1 | August 26, 2009 9:18 AM

Moss was heated after practice when he was talking about DT.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 9:20 A

Speaking of JLC here's the interview were he's BASHING the skins.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

unless your last name is Kopechne.....then you'll take being drown....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator
Thats all well and good but to say the laws are near identical is not the same as identical. There should be a distinguishing factor.

Also on Kennedy, I found a cool page on the geneology of presidents looking him up. 1/2 of our presidents are related to the British crown and most are related to each other.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Iceman27 | August 26, 2009 6:27 AM

CORRECTION - He's no Gary Clark over the middle.

Posted by: scottmando | August 26, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Georgie hit JFK,Jr.

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Marko is exciting!! This is a major upgrade to a struggling offense..I saw a bright red shooting star over my mountain the night before draft day- a good sign!!

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Don't be fooled by Burress. I love how all these guys show contrition once they are facing the prospect of jail time. 2 years is harsh since there was no intent but the guy carried a loaded gun into a club and it went off. He could have killed or hurt anyone in there. Time will tell if he is truly sorry and changed. Now his daughter can grow up knowing he missed her birth because he was incarcerated for being a fool.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 26, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 9:34 AM

Those drugs you're taking frak I'm guessing you see shooting stars -- and more -- over your moutain every night.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 9:29 AM

Great article.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Intersting thought, Frak - Cindy was asked for Marty's e-mail address in her chat, and she said she didn't want to give it out because she wanted Marty's guy to keep checking in...(paraphrase)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 26, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

todd agreed, he was careless with a gun....no excuse for that...put the safety on, and we're not having this conversation today....careless, and stupid.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 26, 2009 9:37 AM

Here's the interview with zorn talking about kely and thomas.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Marko Marko Marko, I hope they don't do something stupid and let this guy go, if Dhall, Smoot, and CR22 can't cover the guy there's a chance he can play right? Kelly has looked pretty good to me too. Moss, Malcolm, and Marko has a law firm type ring to it I like it......Devin is proving what everyone said in the draft, immature, one hit wonder who didn't play against SEC corners and would take a long time to develop if he didn't bust out first in the NFL....he's getting dangerously near the bust out level if he get himself past on the depth chart by a 7th round rookie this year.

Jacksonville will definitely cut at least one and probably two tackles that would be solid pickups for us, I'm still holding out hope we're not stupid enough to go into the season with our depth chart at tackle as it stands now....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 26, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"Thomas was the Redskins' first pick in the 2008 draft, and he has influential supporters in the organization."

Translation PLEASE???!?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

HIRE_MARTY_S. go play in traffic son - you are annoying

Posted by: scottmando | August 26, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Re: Soccer debate from the previous thread.

Sorry to miss it. I'm always ready to defend the world's most popular sport.

The ignorance of many of its critics is amazing.

Re: Thomas/Kelly and flanker position.

Let's just call it like it is. Thomas is a nincompoop. Kelly and Mitchell look much further along. Thomas's superior athleticism is negated in the NFL by the fact that he has trouble "getting" the position or the plays.

Posted by: p1funk | August 26, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

"....he's getting dangerously near the bust out level if he get himself past on the depth chart by a 7th round rookie this year."

Never ceases to amaze.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

HIRE_MARTY_S. go play in traffic son - you are annoying

Posted by: scottmando | August 26, 2009 9:45 AM

Hey here's some practice video !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator is living in a dream world. The day the most talented make the team will be the day we have a chance at a ring. Right now we are a team built to sell tickets and jerseys...essentially a marketing instrument to make money for Danny. Cheers

Posted by: MPNangle | August 26, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Kelly has his doubts in the interview !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:18 AM

That Kelly interview was awsome!

But the thing is, you have been posting the SAME Kelly interview all week. I think we have all seen it by now.

How about a new video?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 26, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Even if the gun didn't go off, the idea of carrying around a loaded weapon in your pants for "personal protection" is total idiocy.

Let's play out a scenario:

-Plax leaves the club and goes to hail a cab

-a shadowy figure emerges from an alley brandishing a gun of his own and demands Plax's jewelry/wallet

What does Plax do? Quick-draw his gun from his belt and start a shoot-out in the street?

If you need personal protection, hire a body guard.

The moron watched too many gangsta movies; now he can cue up Oz...

Posted by: p1funk | August 26, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

This was an easy prediction. One guy got all the opportunity possible last year, practiced all season long, had minimal competition for his desired spot, yet still couldn't beat out James Thrash as the #3 WR. The other was receiving rave reviews from coaches and teammates alike all last season (when he was on the field), was consistently acknowledged by teammates as being a legitimate player, developed a nice chemistry with Campbell in limited reps, and was even bumped up the depth chart over Thomas towards the middle of the season even though he hardly practiced and was coming off of surgery -- but ended up 'failing' because of injuries. Which one would you think would have won the competition? The guy who struggled immensely last season despite all the opportunity to prove otherwise, or the guy that simply needed to get healthy? Yea, me too.

Posted by: psps23 | August 26, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

future of the redskins offense?

Z - Devin Thomas, 6'2", 4.3 speed
X - Marko Mitchell, 6'4", 4.4 speed
Slot - Malcolm Kelly, 6'4", best hands on the team
TE1 - Chris Cooley, 6'3", great blocker, gets open
TE2 - Fred Davis, 6'4", great blocker, insanely athletic mismatch receiver

Even after Moss & Portis are long gone we could have some great weapons on the team. Now, who is gonna be throwing them the ball?

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | August 26, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

devin thomas=charles rogers
i hope not, but prove me wrong DT.

Marko will be a pleasant surprise.

I hope we pick up a tackle. Does it look like anybody besides Jacksonville will have to cut anyone worthwhile at the position?

Dorsey's looked good at returning kicks and as a change of pace back. How do we make roster space for a 4th RB. Less LB's? Any ideas?

Posted by: brian58 | August 26, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MPNangle | August 26, 2009 9:49 AM

I am shocked! You mean he's trying to make a profit? That is so low. He should be more like the other 31 owners in the league who run their teams as a public service and donate any profits they might accidentally make to charity.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Georgie hit JFK,Jr
Posted by: jm220 | August 26, 2009 9:15 AM

Great VIDEO!

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 26, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brian58 | August 26, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I think the coach is gonna have to pick between 4 RBs and 4 QBs. Just MHO

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

How does one not "get" the position of WR? He's played it for a year now, right?

Posted by: jboogie1 | August 26, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

DT=Charles Rogers

Championship....ufb....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...maybe it's obvious to everyone else - but "Hire Marty S" is probably a vampire - we keep inviting him in by mentioning him. (and, he's got a whole class of IP addresses apparently, so he can live forever)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 26, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

beep beep....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I really like what I've seen from Mitchell so far. Dare I say he's Rod Gardner with hands? j/k

He definitely already looks like he'll be able to help in certain routes (red zone, fade patterns, sideline comebacks). The thing that will make him a bona fide #2 will be whether he can make the tough catch over the middle and take the hit.

The questions raised by other posters above aren't so much about his ability to catch while covered, it's how he will handle those vicious NFL safeties and LBs.

Posted by: manifested | August 26, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jboogie1 | August 26, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Nonsense. Were you as good at whatever it is you do the day you started as you are now? I know I wasn't. There's a learning curve involved in pro football, too. There are usually different offensive or defensive systems to be learned. The level of competition is much higher, as is the level of professionalism and attention to detail that is needed to succeed. All of these things have to be learned.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 26, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

You want to complain go to the source. I hear YouTube has always been quick to block videos that are stolen from corporate media and offensive material.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I think the coach is gonna have to pick between 4 RBs and 4 QBs. Just MHO

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

4 qb's? i've never seen that on a roster. It will be interesting to see how much playing time each QB gets. Campbell better get a half. Then I wouldn't mind seeing Daniels/Brennan get a quarter each.

Posted by: brian58 | August 26, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jboogie1 | August 26, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Route-running, technique, finding good angles/soft spots in the secondary.

Last season he came out and had trouble lining up in the right spots, pushing off receivers to get separation, stuff like that.

At lower levels (college and JuCo), you can rely on superior size/speed/athleticism to outplay sorry DBs who have no business covering you.

In the NFL everyone is a great athlete, and success depends on details and nuances.

Look at Jerry Rice and Wes Welker. Neither of them are "superior" athletes as far as size/speed go, but they "get" the position and were pretty successful at it.

Posted by: p1funk | August 26, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

there is a new post, but right now it's just HMS posting to himself.

So not beep, not beep.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 26, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

What a stupid post. How can you start to compare ARE and CJ???

Just dumb.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 26, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P Teddy Kennedy... Like a lot of the athletes we like to rip on this here board he did some foul things back in the day, but I'm not going to condemn the man for that on this day. I will choose to reflect positively on the man...

RE: Plaxico Burress -- it kills me how so damn self-righteous a lot of you come off as. "Don't be fooled by Burress." Do you know the man, can you read his mind, his heart, and his soul? YOU must be "GOD" in the form of a RI blogger to make a statement like this, right? Let me ask you something, Todd. Have you commit any wrong acts in your life? Have you did things you wish you could take back? I bet the mortgage you do! And I bet at some point you said either: 'I'm sorry I did that', or 'I F'd up, my mistake'... how do we know that you weren't just saying that s*** just to say it?

We don't, and you don't know if Plaxico is either.

I wish some of you self-righteous bastards were famous for one day, and have all your s*** aired!!! I bet you would not be in such a rush to condemn and be judgemental.

Of course I realize that by posting this, I too am being judgmental. But I don't give a damn, the self-righteous, holier than thou, know-it-all bs is growing toxic in society, and I was sick of it yesterday.

Sorry to vent, but this kinda ties into listening to the radio and some of the callers about the death of Ted Kennedy and how they were complete self-righteous, holier than thou, disrespecting a-holes.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 26, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: manifested | August 26, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I say give Mitchell some playing time against the opposing teams' starters the next two weeks, and if he continues to impress, consider him for the starting FL spot as well.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 26, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"Unless we'd done it in Scotland. Then we would have gotten clemency two years ago so we could die with our family.Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Curiously, there are apparently a number of folks who've researched the Lockerbie case who think they got the wrong guy. Even now that he's out, he's still proclaiming his innocence...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brian58 | August 26, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I think the coach is gonna have to pick between 4 RBs and 4 QBs. Just MHO

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 9:56 AM

I think Colt gets cut. His decision making is questionable at best.

Posted by: ecale25 | August 26, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

"What a stupid post. How can you start to compare ARE and CJ??? First of all last year CJ only played 13 games... So of course his stats are low, he was hurt. CJ and ARE aren't even close to the same level. Just dumb.Posted by: slimbo-Rice"

No it isn't. Chad's production has historically been superior, but not so much last year. One example: his YPC was down significantly. It wasn't just the injuries or attitude; he missed Carson Palmer big-time.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I love how people (jboogie1 in particular) seem to expect these kids to be finished products right off the bat, or even after a year in the league. They point out the handful of instant success stories and ignore the part where it takes most players a few years to adjust.

Thomas has a ton of physical ability but semmingly a limited understanding of the offense and advanced techniques. The question with him is not whether he 'gets it' right now, but is he showing the coaches the aptitude to learn it, and the willingess to work as hard as it will take for him to get it. Or will he be content to be Michael Westbrook.

By all reports, Kelly is closer to getting it. The question with him will be if he can stay healthy enough to be on the field.

And given our weakness in that area last year, if all Marko Mitchell knows how to do is catch fades in the endzone, he's more than worth keeping.

Posted by: ts35 | August 26, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Kid&Play(Thomas and Kelly)should be contributing ASAP! no more excuses especially Thomas he's a little too comfortable for my taste he doesn't seem to want "it" Kelly at least seems to give a damn and has tried to make his presence felt during these first two preseason games while "Kid" is just out there running around like its a "chinese fire drill" JC needs all the help he can get it would be nice if Kid and Play stepped up!

Posted by: dargregmag | August 26, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 26, 2009 10:17 AM

Two words: Carson Palmer.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 26, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

And you said those words. Dooh.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 26, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't thomas return punts? let him assume that role. the guy is fast, but just seems to run wild on the field. the things you heard last year seem to ring true this year. thomas has more maturity and professionalism. Thomas is still learning that.

that is what Cerrato and Snyder need to learn in thier talent evaluation. how mentally prepared are these players. they get good athlete after good athlete, but mental bombs! Brandon Lloyd is a recent example. You can go back to jeff George too.

Posted by: simplewords999 | August 26, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

My vote is for using ARE as wildcat. He obviously cannot catch/return anymore. I understand that we cannot release him because of cap, etc.

Let Marko, Devin and Kelly play.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

What position are you on the Redskins for? What position do you play, period? Are you in a front office position? Than shut it. Stop dogging on the guys that could slap you around like a little boy...you don't have a 1/100th of the talent of a Devin Thomas...what gives you the onions to trash him?

Posted by: lavararrington | August 26, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Jason Reid says:
"Thomas was the Redskins' first pick in the 2008 draft, and he has influential supporters in the organization"

What the heck does that mean, Jason? Are you saying that regardless of his play, they gonna treat him in a special way? Are you basing this on facts or just a hunch?

I cannot believe we need to put up with this kind of garbage from RI. La Canfora's crappy spirit lives on, I guess. Jason Reid, come out of the shadow of that scum, JLC and report like a man!!!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

If the Redskins hesitate on signing Pete Kendall, another team will pick him up when one of their linemen go down. I believe they can still use Pete.

Posted by: chopin224 | August 26, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 "

I'll take the Kennedy gangstas over the Bush gangstas anyday, though..

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 9:15 AM
-----------------------------------

Dude, you a fellow Bush-hater too. I take back all the nasty stuff I said about you.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Insider, Redskin Insider
By Jason Reid, the Back Stabber

I have the dirt, daily at Ashburn
I aim to expose, 'round every turn

When everything is, all good and dandy
A few lies will come, definitely handy

I have no need, to report the truth
My paycheck is, going off the roof

My integrity? well I root for Cowgirls
Stabbing the 'skins, who the hell cares?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

For you MIKE WILLIAMS lovers including JASON REID, how can I think MW is all that, I haven't seen him on the field except for six plays. He isn't a starter for christ-sakes. Put him on the development squad and give his body some time to heal from losing 111 pounds in eight months, not to mention his other miseries.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 26, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

lavararrington:

Eat my shorts hot shot.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 26, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 26, 2009 12:47 PM
-----------------------------

BMW can just fall to the ground in front of JC and it will take at least 3 seconds for DE/Lb's to climb over him. My only concern is his wt loss. At #500, he could have provided 5 seconds of climb time.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 26, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Lavar,

We'll say what we want, and we have every right to judge. Because of us, people like..well, Lavar get paid ridiculous money even when they underachieve consistently (ahem).

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | August 26, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"Well, in two preseason games there's still a lot we haven't seen. But they do run him in practice everyday so they probably have a sense about what he can do over the middle and in traffic. Main thing is he'd just a rookie and rookie WRs have a lot to learn."
Marko may have a lot to learn but he seems to be as far along as Malcom and Devin in only his first camp...
MARKO for #2.

Posted by: luvdc808 | August 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell makes the situation at WR pretty much academic. He stays, Thomas and Kelly stay, ARE and Moss stay.

I think it is time, much as it may hurt some of us, to give VC some props for Marko since we all love to pummel him for his potential busts with Thomas and Davis (I think Kelly is reserved from bust talk for the time being, but we'll see).

He HAS dug out some decent players in later rounds.

Awaiting VC rants.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | August 26, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

We need more posts like glawrence007. Jason Reid seems like a nice guy, but he is bland...appears to be worried about offending Vinny and the gang like Jasno. I say let it Rip JR, your blogs are boring and mirror the company line from Ashburn. I get more insight and commentary from the Redskins.com blog."

I would say that we don't need another JLockenfatera as the insider. Jason Reid has done a good job. An insider has to be someone that the team can trust not someone taking someone that tries to make news by being the story.....

Posted by: punchdaclock | August 26, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If you antagonize all of the upper management, you're going to be out of the loop as Jason was much of the time.

I have nothing against proper criticism, but Jason made it personal with VC sometimes, and that had to make his job more difficult (though I think all of the exposure got him the new job...which is another thing wrong in journalism these days).

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | August 26, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Nobody, but Nobody has said anything about the play calling. You have a QB with and arm and you are throwing 3 screens out of 7 passes. Were is the mid-level passing game. 10yd outs, Square ins and drags that other west coast teams use? The offense is limited by play calling. Good coached put players in favorable positons. I don't think the Skins always do that.

See if you can get something for ARE NOW!!! Trade him and recover a pick or some cash. You don't put players in position to make plays if they are on the bench or only in the game for 1 play at a time. Show some confidence and backbone.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | August 26, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Reading between the lines: Marko Mitchell is better than both Kelly and Thomas, but in order to save face, Cerrato may force one or both of his draft picks on the coaching staff.

Vinny - you can't have ego when it comes to winning. Let the coaches play whomever is more talented.

Posted by: agupta1 | August 26, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

The guys who get a paycheck, or gratuitious treatment by the team can't afford to "Tell it like it is" which of course, would be the way they see it. Neither would I. I'm not so stupid that I don't know which side of my bread is buttered.

DEVIN CLARK is a RT. Let him play there when he heals and improve. He's going to be needed and right now he's being asked to do too much. BATISTE will do whatever the team asks of him, but he impressed me favorably at LG, but gave the old statue impersonation at RT. We don't have time for the new guys on the bubble to be picking up different positions. Why haven't I seen JEREMY BRIDGES at RT? He is a combo lineman, right?

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 26, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

peaceful:

LOL funny, man. Sweet post.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 26, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse