Landry plans appeal, defends his position

Safety LaRon Landry said he plans to appeal a fine he received for the sideline incident he initiated with a late hit against Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

Landry revealed he received a letter from the commissioner's office that he believes included a fine amount, "but I haven't opened the envelope yet. I might wait. I might just prolong it.

"What I'm going to do is I'm going to open the envelope and just send it straight to my agent; let him tell me what the damage is. We'll go through the whole appeal process. ... I'm going to appeal all my fines. Whatever fine they put out there, I'm going to appeal. At least try to."

Tempers flared within the final two minutes of halftime when Ryan, trying to scramble for a first down, raced to the right sideline and was hit out of bounds by Landry near Falcons Coach Mike Smith. DeAngelo Hall, who counts the Falcons among his former teams, came over to help Landry, he said, and a lot pushing and shoving ensued. Landry and Albert Haynesworth were assessed unnecessary roughness penalties, the Falcons accepted the penalty on Landry and the drive ended with Jason Elam's 33-yard field goal.

Landry has been a target of frustrated fans, who have criticized his performance this week on sports-talk radio and Internet message boards. With second-year strong safety Chris Horton (toe) placed on the season-ending injured-reserve list today, Coach Jim Zorn was asked whether the team planned to move Landry from free safety to strong, at which he played well as a rookie, on a full-time basis.

"That's something that we're going to do a little bit, but he's pretty wicked where he's sitting right now and he's very comfortable where he's at," Zorn said. "I don't think there's going to be a lot change."

Landry has grown tired of answering questions about his position. "As of right now, in certain situations, I do play strong safety," Landry said. "So I don't know what the big argument [is] about whether I should move to strong safety predominantly instead of free. As of right now, in certain packages, I do play strong safety. It doesn't matter to me. Whatever I need to do to get a 'W.' "

Zorn called the injury to Horton, who was scheduled to have surgery at 3 p.m. on his foot, "another major loss."

Safety Reed Doughty, who has started twice this season, moves back to the top of the depth chart and the team plans to sign another safety, Zorn said. "We're going to try to get somebody to replace him [on the roster], but it'll be hard to replace him," Zorn said. "It's Reed's job."

The secondary will miss Horton, Landry said, but the Redskins do have some depth at that position. "Kareem [Moore] steps up. Reed Doughty does a great job and then we've got Lendy [Holmes] right behind him," Landry said. "We'll be fine. He'll be missed, but we'll be fine."

By Jason Reid  |  November 11, 2009; 3:17 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis called 'very, very doubtful' for Sunday
Next: Redskins honor those who inspire them

Comments

Landry was robbed. Hall, Haynesworth deserve their fines.

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

===================

Yeah, let's bring back this head coach.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

IR Portis and get those bone spurs taken care of. Get him ready for training camp next year since he most likely will be here next year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

At $7mill, CP is definitely not getting traded or cut.

I agree that the best we could do is shut him down, let him get all the necessary surgeries he needs with plenty of time to recover.

Hopefully next year we'll have a young dynamic RB that we can platoon with CP26. Maybe it will light a fire under him, force him to practice, and we'll get a small renaissance of production like Fred Taylor had when they threw MJD into the mix.

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

A little clarification, please? Was Landry fined for the late hit or for the subsequent melee? I'm getting the impression LL has a growing bullseye on his jersey when it comes to the officials and the league.

Posted by: RambleOn | November 11, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The only fines should have been to the Atlanta coaches, they should be in control of their emotions. It was a late hit we got a penalty, but it wasn't with intent to harm or even blatantly o.o.b.

totally ga y

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Regarding LL's tackling, if I was coach I'd make him do tackling drills this week against Mike Sellars. Who cares if he gets the snot knocked out of him, he needs to learn how to hit players who are actually bigger than he is.

Posted by: RambleOn | November 11, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Landry really needs to defend his tackling strategies & positioning first.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 11, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

what % of late hits on a qb get a fine?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 11, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Is Leigh Torrence still with the Saints?

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 11, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Riggins addresses Snyder comments for "last time"
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 11, 2009 3:37 PM ET
Washington Redskins Hall of Fame running back John Riggins has once again spoken out about franchise owner Daniel Snyder, explaining for what he says will be the final time why he thinks Snyder has a dark heart.

Reading a prepared statement on the local radio station WTOP today, Riggins insisted that when he appeared on Inside the NFL and referred to Snyder as a man whose heart is dark, he wasn't settling a personal score but merely speaking out on behalf of Redskins fans. Riggins also said the fact that he no longer works for a radio station owned by Snyder has nothing to do with his feelings.

"To my detractors who have accused me of being an embittered former employee of Mr. Snyder's Red Zebra Radio Station, the facts are, I had a three-year contract with that station. I fulfilled my duties. My contract was not renewed. It was a business decision. I am fine with it. That was not a happy place. I have long since moved on, and I am free," Riggins said, per Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post.

Riggins frequently takes shots at Snyder on Twitter. He explained those shots by saying, "I have also been advised to experiment with social media, as it is the way of the future. I started experimenting the same month the Washington franchise imploded. Relevancy found me."

And as for that "dark heart" comment, Riggins says he stands by it -- and that Snyder has proven himself to have a dark heart by, in Riggins' view, causing personal friction between himself and his old quarterback, Joe Theismann.

"When I use that phrase, I'm referring to the heart of a narcissist, someone who thinks they're better than others, someone who thinks the social contract does not apply to them, someone who drives a wedge between my former teammate, Joe Theismann, and myself," Riggins said.

At the conclusion of his remarks, Riggins said, "This is the last time I'm going to speak on this topic." That's awfully hard to believe. Riggins has gotten a lot of mileage out of his criticisms of Snyder, and it seems like a safe bet that he'll have more to say.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"Landry has grown tired of answering questions about his position."

Position???

Why doesn't someone bug him about his consistently atrocious tackling?

Re: Zorn's assessment of Landry.

The more Zorn opens his mouth and blabbers his crap about the team/players, the more I'm convinced he's in a totally disconnected and delusional state of mind. He can't really believe the things he says...can he?

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

And here's what Redskins offensive coordinator Sherman Smith said when Comcast SportsNet's Kelli Johnson asked whether Clinton Portis's injury replacement, Ladell Betts, could "give you a little bit more in terms of strong running and healthy running and good legs."

"Yeah, I think so," Smith said. "I think he practices more consistently. Now Clinton practiced last week, but Ladell practices more consistently, and I think just the timing with the offensive line may be just a little bit better. So he'll give us a spark, there's no question about that."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"When I use that phrase, I'm referring to the heart of a narcissist, someone who thinks they're better than others, someone who thinks the social contract does not apply to them"

Wow. Riggo just described himself perfectly...

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 3:51 PM

I've posted a few times that every time zorn opens his mouth I lose more respect for him. The worst part is this team has become a reflection of it's head coach.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

greg, one has to wonder why Smith gets it yet zorn doesn't.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey vicc-uses-head-for-hat-rack:

Here in fact is one of your superior superbowl quarterbacks (although lord help me I can't see how you would pick a Rypien over say an Elway or Kelly and call him superior? Lots of $$$ lost in Vegas if you bet the other way) speaking to your block-headed ignorance:
"Ninety-nine percent of quarterbacks out there will tell you, you're only as good as the guys up front," Mark Rypien said. "I would never say anything negative about Jason and his play, because they've had the injury bug up front, they have guys not playing to the level. When Jim Lachey was removed from our lineup, when Mo Elewonibi is playing against some of the best rush ends in football, we're not gonna have a very good day on Sunday. Let's not sugarcoat it. Let's say it what it is. We're not gonna be very good running the football or throwing the football when Jim Lachey, one of the best left tackles in football, isn't in the game. Everyone's a professional, everyone wants to be good, but if they're not playing at all cylanders and playing well, you're not gonna be that good offensively. As a quarterback, you're only as good as how they are and how they play. Y.A. Tittle, Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgensen, Billy Kilmer, Doug Williams, Joe Theismann, myself, anyone's that's put on a Redskins uniform is not gonna be very good if your line's struggling.")

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

curz, no kidding, again, mind boggling...

jz needs to just stop spending so much time answering questions by the media, and start trying to save his NEXT job.....show us you know how to run a team...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I watch the hit on Ryan a couple of times and to me it not as bad as the media and other want to make it out to be. It was more of a push than it was a hit.

Posted by: jm220 | November 11, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

greg, one has to wonder why Smith gets it yet zorn doesn't.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009

Maybe he does and always did. See Cerrato, Vincent; Snyder, Dan taking away play-calling duties and handing them to Bingo caller. See Portis, Clinton, highest paid running back in the NFL and in NFL history. If that isn't enough of a reason I don't what is?

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

jm220, I agree, the "hit" was not that bad. Problem is, this has become LL's mo. Dude needs to start playing smarter or get benched.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"It doesn't matter to me. Whatever I need to do to get a 'W.'"

...with the exception of tackling, of course.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 11, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

How awesome would it be if Landry could make a hit like that on a guy that's not running out of bounds?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 11, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"Whatever I need to do to get a 'W.' "

As long as it doesn't involve the following:

Interceptions
Tackles
Game Changing Plays
Big Hits

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey vicc-uses-head-for-hat-rack:

Posted by: periculum

Enough said P. Why most folks don't get that just baffles the SH!!TTT! out of me.

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The problem was it was obvious to everyone that Ryan was headed out of bounds and by the time Landry made contact he was out of bounds. Was it a "cheap shot" or particularly vicious or dirty? Not at all! Was it a late hit out of bounds and a just plain stupid play on LL's part? Absolutely! All he had to do was hold his position and make sure Ryan ran out of bounds, but it comes back to his desire to make highlight hits as opposed to just make plays.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 11, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Peri, not buying that. The evidence that my eyes have shown me clearly demonstrates that zorn does not get it.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"What I'm going to do is I'm going to open the envelope and just send it straight to my agent; let him tell me what the damage is."

If you're going to go through the trouble of opening it, why don't you just stare down at the piece of paper and read it? Are these guys outsourcing reading now?

Posted by: Moose33 | November 11, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

oh dear a mock draft is out already it had us a 6and taking a qb not and ol oh dear

You can find the mock draft on MSnbc/nfl

Posted by: joevick | November 11, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Liked the Rypien quote about Campbell, hopefully the fair weather reactionary fans take it to heart.

or we could start this whole stupid cycle of failure and disappointment over again with some new guy

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Nobody I know of or has posted on here disagrees with this sentiment. But Jason wasn't producing before the injuries either, didn't produce much last year through the first 8 games despite a healthy line and the leading rushing attack in the league except a low INT rate and when he has had time and open receivers this season he has missed them or misread the play way way to often.....and don't even make me bring up the audible on 3rd 8 to a inside running play against an up the gut blitz late in the second half in a game you're trailing on the road in the division that results in a one yard loss and is afterwards defended by saying he lost track of the down and distance.....that was the Giants game for any of those that don't remember...I 4 year veteran starting QB lost track of down and distance and to compound that read the defense so well that he audibled into the blitz.......but that is the offensive line's fault right?

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 11, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Even if Ryan wasn't technically out of bounds and it wasn't much of a hit, it was unneccesary and the NFL won't let him get away with going late on a big ticket future superstar type like Matt Ryan.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 11, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

A couple of funny comments made by Zorn yesterday on Larry Michaels' "It's All the Media's Fault and the Skins Are Doing Great!" comedy show:

Zorn said Landry is "playing great" at FS.

He also said that listening to Bugel go off at halftime "kinda got ME fired up and that's when I spoke."

Ummm...I've never been an amateur nor professional coach of any kind, but it seems like it would reflect badly on me if I needed one of my assistants to fire me up.

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 11, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

anyone besides me think that the 7-2 Broncos look like the 6-2 Redskins of last year?

anyone besides me thing we might as well have overpaid Springs instead of Hall, at least he can tackle and is good enough to play for NE?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

hjgfouhvouvb;iuvb'oihb v'
9y ;i9fu8g luigh; o

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | November 11, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Whatever I need to do to get a 'W.' "

As long as it doesn't involve the following:

Interceptions
Tackles
Game Changing Plays
Big Hits

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 4:09 PM

Damn Beantown, what's left for the Great Dirty Thirty? I mean, it's almost like you're saying all he can do is whiffffffff and commit personal fouls.

Oh...right. Nevermind.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 11, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

here is something that 99% of football people do get. No O line = suck

Not only does it make you O bad, sooner or later it will make your D/ST, and coaches look bad too.

you gotta compete in the trenches on both sides or you will look bad.

anyone besides me think that Hunter Smith was the most crucial FA pick up in the history of sport?

anyone see that Memphis(?) coach ask the media to stop writing smart as s articles and try to help the program? Did you see that MAYOR of dooshVille?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1,
"...Ladell practices more consistently..."

Is that a slam on Portis? I love it. Finally, someone at Redskins Park calls CP out on this. I hope Betts runs for a hundred on Sunday.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

===============

ufb! does this guy not have a filter system? or is he really as dumb as he sounds?

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

greg, one has to wonder why Smith gets it yet zorn doesn't.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 11, 2009 3:57 PM

My guess is that Zorn has had his butt kicked a few times by the owner. Smith is getting his kicked for the first time right now.

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

It's very disappointing hoe LL is playing I thought he was a good one, he has made some decent tackles and tipped a pass that got picked, but has been mediocre at best.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

rsh, I'm hoping for 120....it was too good not to post....someone finally calling it like it is with CP...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
again brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

While there is no shortage of perspectives on DEBACLE '09 ®, it gets tiring going over flaw after flaw. So instead, I'll take a break this week and look at a few bright spots that are shining thru and may bring brighter days over the next few seasons.

#1 on that list Brian Orakpo. Still suspect against the run, watch him get pushed out of the picture on Turner's jaunt, Orakpo does show that NFL tackles are not going to block him effectively on the pass rush. Could Orakpo be for us what Jason Taylor was/is for the Fins? Maybe.

Albert Haynesworth is here for at least 3 more years. And he is a beast. I especially like the possibilities as the other DL learn how to feed off Albert.

Jeremy Jarmon. OK, not much there, but he is getting to play and that can only help him for next year. I expect he'll see more time on the field in the second half of the season.

Justin Tryon. Surprisingly, he looks like he belongs on a football field. He may be even be the next Leigh Torrence, which is a big step up from what he looked like last year.

Mike Williams. OK, he's a disaster. But what did anyone expect? 2009 was never going to be his season. The fact he made it to the roster and played complete games is a remarkable accomplishment. Give him a year to adapt to his new body and he may turn into something worth having.

Marko Mitchell. 2 catches, but hey, he already looks as good -- or better -- as anyone from WR-TE-WR (copyright Nate).

Shaun Suisham. Our MVP. He scored all the points vs the Rams, which is half of our wins. Suisham is one of just two kickers that have attempted 10 or more FGs and made them all.

Yeah, I left off a few guys who may be here just for the short run, notably Andre Carter. But it is worth noting is that the Skins have undergone a youth movement that was largely unplanned and undesired. Several guys in this youth movement just aren't cutting it, but some are.

So in the midst of the misery of DEBACLE '09 ®, wanted to take a moment to say Hail to these young and upcoming Redskins.

That is it for this week's version of ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES as always, brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2

Thats funny because I can recall him on being one of the early leaders for MVP last year when the team was 6-2. What happened after that? The line completely broke down.

Yes he's missed some throws but what QB hasn't? He's still completing a high % of his passes.

As far as him "not producing" last year, go back and check the stats. It's not Manning esque (Peyton) but solid.

You are grilling him for 1 audible too? Last I checked he's been effective in the no huddle offense so he must be doing something right. To grill him for one bad audible is crazy.

Protect JC and he'll be OK. We saw flashes of that in the second half against Atlanta. Again, he's not great but can be good. No more of this "franchise QB" hunt. We've done that for the last 15 years and its gotten us no where.

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Landry has grown tired of answering questions about his position

Well LaRon, people ask that question because of your atrocious play at FS this season. We're all hoping it is because your "out of position" and should be at SS full-time and not because you're another over-hyped draft bust. Although that seems like wishful thinking because you need a set of balls in order to actually tackle at the SS position too.

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | November 11, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Again, Jason is gone. But replacing him with a high 1st round pick QB with this line seems at this point to be a ridiculous "Snyderato" move. And that is what "VICC-the-great-Vegas-winning-student" espouses. Which is wrong-headed and you probably end up with anothlyer JC / Ramsey. I think with a really good, carefully vetted offensive line you could do quite well with Colt and perhaps David Carr who becomes available next year. The line can make a difference in your QB. See Rypien's quote above.

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I think a lot of people aren't realizing that we can't just replace everyone that sucks this offseason. Your options to fix things are the draft, free agency, and in house.

The needs in order:
Left Tackle
Right Tackle
Right Guard
Center
Running Back
Quarterback

The draft:

We only have 2 upper round draft picks. You can only count on a starter coming out of the first round and early second. So we can fix 2 needs in the draft. I and a lot of other see offensive tackle as the #1 and #2 needs. We'd like to see a LT taken in the first round and a right tackle in the second round.

Free Agency:

Most free agent linemen will be re-signed. They are cheap and if they are any good they are well worth it. Few great linemen actually hit free agancy. The Steve Hutchinson's are few and far between. Free agent running backs are typically on the downside of their short careers and are not worth the payday. The free agent QB class is terrible this year. Jason Campbell is the best free agent quarterback out there.

In house:
If we had in house options they would have been used by now. Todd Collins is terrible. Colt Brennan isn't even as good as Todd Collins. Ladell Betts, Rock Cartright, and the sclub of the week could be looked at but they aren't the answer. There are no good offensive linemen in house other than Dockery, BMW if he switches to guard, and Edwin Williams if he continues his development.

This means that this is at least a 2 year rebuild. I'd rather wait until 2011 to take a RB and QB. The running back can contribute right away and the new QB can sit on the bench and develop until the offensive line gels. Then the QB will be given the chance to compete with JC for the starting job. If he wins he gets the strarting job. This method allows the new QB to start off in a situation ideal for development. QBs are expensive. You must handle them with care. Then by 2013 championship!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 11, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

For whatever its worth ... betts should be able to provide us with a more consistent running game this weekend, he hits the hole and has better vision and feel than portis does...doesn't have break away speed but makes quicker and better decisions with the ball..also a better reciever so we can actually throw the ball to him..we really can't with CP...going forward there really is not much to say...poorly owned, poorly managed, poor overall talent and poorly coached...not a recipe for success....still rooting for Total and Final over the last 8 weeks to insure complete overhaul of front office....lets hope in january we get a real football person to evaluate the talent on hand (few) and begin to draft and find talent that fits with a plan the starts with building a team...heres a blueprint.... on Ofense dominate upfront first, power back for 1st and second down, speed back for third and long, at least one big reciever for possesion and 1 for speed on the outside....defensive how does manley, mann, butz and grant sound..we have some of that already on defense , just wish we played more of an attaacking style...i can live with giving up big plays if we can create turnovers......I am and i am not suggesting we turn back the clock...our idenity has been lost and if i were running this team thats all i would tell my GM ...control the line of scrimage, power running, big play passing and attack on defense...thats what this town thrives on and we have gotten way way of track.....

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | November 11, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

when people say that JC is missing open receivers, how the F do they know? Are they going to the film sessions? or are they at the stadiums watching with savant-like aptitude? OR are they idiot doofuses who think they know what they are talking about?

When I watch games on TV you don't see the receivers in their patterns.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

When I watch games on TV you don't see the receivers in their patterns.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:07 PM

You're in denial. There's plenty of video out there of where Jason threw and the open receivers he didn't throw to. Try a different channel.

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

when did Betts become better than Portis, from what I've seen in the last 8 years Betts just plain isn't as talented as Portis. Especially in pass protection which is what we need the most.

I understand that Betts is a much more likable personality, but if you think he's better than Portis I think you are blind or crazy. If he's even close why did he have 21 rushing yards through 7 games. No other team in the league has such a big drop off between the 1 and 2 backs.

I like Betts he's a capable back up and I think he should have been getting more touches all along Rock too, but seriously if we perform better it will be because the line plays better not because Betts is better than Portis, child please

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

league source, I'm in denial because I don't see the game films? Or your in denial that you do see them? Every QB in the league misses open receivers every week. The only fair way to judge a players performance is to watch every player on every play, that's how coaches do it.

I guess I can't watch with the savant style aptitude that you can oh omniscient one

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice if the Washington Redskins could apeal paying this waste of talent.

Posted by: The_Spear | November 11, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

when people say that JC is missing open receivers, how the F do they know?

Another classic...peabrain. It's called instant replay you jagoff.

Posted by: k_square | November 11, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OriginalOldschool

I don't agree with your assesment that Bets has better vision than CP. I think Betts' vision is his main weakness.

I do agree with your take of the offense that needs to be implemented. Power running and play action all day. To do that, it starts up front.

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:24 PM

Frankly, that's bs. "The only way to know anything is to know everything"? I'm willing to take the word of Jaws who does look at every play.

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

God you're stupid. You may want to refrain--that means stop shtihead-- from using words you neither understand nor can spell.

Posted by: k_square | November 11, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

k square, what Qb doesn't miss open receivers ever? Does this mean our receivers are getting open consistently. Your expert analysis is from instant replays WOW your a genius. Your proving my point about test critics NOT knowing what the F they are talking about and F U for calling me names

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

Zorn must refer to fudamentally bad tackling as "wicked." And I'm glad to know that Landry is "... very comfortable where he's at", because he sure makes me nervous as hell when it comes to playing free safety and having to make open field tackles. I would think that any head coach that knew anything about football wouldn't feel very comfortable with Landry's "wicked" performance either. Joe T. and Riggo hit it right on the head - Zorn is a good QB coach as best, other than that, he's basically clueless and lost. His team is undisciplined, unprepared and unmotivated - all things that are the ultimate responsibility of the man in charge - the head coach.

Buges and Zorn need to start chewing them out on Thursdays, then maybe they'll get some fire and show up by kickoff on Sundays.

Posted by: SkinsKen | November 11, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:36 PM

You know, by your standard, the only way for you to maintain that he's any good is to watch every play of every game. But you don't do that, so you don't meet your own test. And for good reason -- it's nonsensical.

Any where to you get off complaining about being called a name right after you laid one on me?

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Pay attention to what he's telling you peabrain. There's a show on ESPN called NFL Live and Monday Night Countdown. BTW, Jaws is a nickname for an excellent analyst and former NFL QB named Ron Jaworski.

Watch that and then come back and try offering something better than your usual lame opinion.

Posted by: k_square | November 11, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I am a kinesiology major and I took a class in coaching that was taught by the former head football coach at JMU who said, the only way to judge a players performance is to watch every player on every play, with the other coaches an the players to discuss what happened. So you geniuses can act like ya know, but you don't really, do ya?

Any of you ever coached or been in a film session? What that? No

So sorry for mispelling a word oh no.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:43 PM

And you act like you know, but you don't watch every play with the other coaches and discuss what's happened. So you don't really know, do ya?

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

jaws gets paid to flap his jaw for 3 hours

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Jaws predict that Cutler would lead the Bears to the SuperBowl this year? Yeah, he knows everything.

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I caught ESPN's midterm review and Clayton said the Cowboys OL with an average age of 32 was rockin the Casbah. I checked the stats and every one of their starters is over 30. No injuries, breaddowns or skill diminishments, even a resurgence - Davis was a 1st round draft flop with the Cards until he came to Dallas and started shining. On the other hand, you look at the Skins and it's like they're in an entirely different universe. Same age situation but drastically different result. Sheesh.

Posted by: PsyOps | November 11, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm not the one saying JC is missing open WRs at a greater frequency than other QBs, but nice try. I'm saying as fans we shouldn't try an play coach or analyst

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Betts had 70 yards on 15 carries last week - a 4.7 average. Unfortunately he's never had a chance except when Portis went down in 2006 and ended up with 1,100 yards in 7 - 8 games. Always having to suck hind tit to the "better" running back. Let's give him a chance and see what he can do.

Also, the reason he's only had 21 rushing yards in 7 games - assuming your stats are accurate - is because Portis will pout and cry to Danny Boy if he doesn't get to carry the ball more than anybody else on the team. Portis would have performed a lot better if he would work out more in the office, practice like a team player and get in better shape. He's looked absolutely pitiful this year with his run to the pile and fall down efforts. Personally I think he tanked it on Sunday and took a Sonny Liston dive. I've yet to see a replay where anyone got a good lick on him on the play where he was "knocked out." The phantom tackle / knock out punch, just like Liston.

Posted by: SkinsKen | November 11, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

The line can make a difference in your QB. See Rypien's quote above.

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 4:47 PM |

It's a two way street. Matt Ryan did pretty good last year with a noname OL - got his team to the playoffs. But QBs like Ryan don't come around too often. He was a four year starter. Don't think there are any like him in this year's draft.

Posted by: PsyOps | November 11, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I know we don't know, its fun to play coach or analyst, I'm just saying how much can any of us know without seeing the films or practices. any ex players or coaches here? I doubt it.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:52 PM

So, your position is that (1) you don't know whether JC is missing at greater or lesser frequency than others, but that (2) you know the others are wrong because they haven't watched every player on every play and talked with the coaches, the way they taught you at James Madison? Is that right?

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm saying as fans we shouldn't try an play coach or analyst

Posted by: pabrian2003

So true. I for one, am much better at playing GM or owner.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 11, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Any of you ever coached or been in a film session? What that? No

So sorry for mispelling a word oh no.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Yes I have watched post games films, as well as isolated and scrutinized every play within a game, both as a player and as a coach. But it doesn't take that degree of scrutiny after watching Campbell for the last 3+ years to discern that he has poor field presence and that he doesn't go through his progressions very well or make asture reads.

If sorry if you disagree that Campbell has a long windup, a slow release and not a very accurate arm; but you can espouse kinesiology and quote the former Dukes' coach all day long and you won't convince me otherwise, because I've SEEN it with my on eyes, both live and on replay game film for 3+ years.

Posted by: SkinsKen | November 11, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

FIRST ROUND pick courtesy of the Redskins, left tackle Sam Baker. Next ...

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsKen | November 11, 2009 5:38 PM |

You're right. Goes back to his days as QB when he would do a lot of free lance scrambling instead of being disciplined and staying in the poocket. This kind of mindset might succeed marginally for a QB but it never works for a team and HC.

Posted by: PsyOps | November 11, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:24 PM

...and F U for calling me names

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:36 PM

And your position here is that (1) no one should call you a name but (2) that standard of name-calling doesn't apply to you? Is that how you see it?

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

skins ken, anyone who watched the game saw the 1,2 helmet to helmet contact that knocked Portis out. Betts is a good back, not sure why he doesn't get more touches, your probably right that its dannys fault. It seems clear that he isn't as talented as Portis. Portis did have tv longest run of his career this year 78 yds vs the Chiefs.

Many don't like Portis, I get it, but he's a good player, be real!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsKen | November 11, 2009

Again, Campbell is gone. As much a lame duck as Zorn. Why worry about him? I am much more concerned about drafting QB's instead of desperately needed linemen. Which is exactly what Snyderato is looking to do ... thus complete intransigence as far addressing the offensive line this off-season. Why else? How 'bout that "big word"?

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

FIRST ROUND pick courtesy of the Redskins, left tackle Sam Baker. Next ...

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 6:07 PM |

He was injured last year when the Falcs went to the playoffs.

Posted by: PsyOps | November 11, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Jaws: not all that much better of a quarterback than Roman Gabriel when all is said and done. As biased as he is I would listen to Sonny first ...

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Once again, I don't think it's prudent to pick an O-lineman with a high first round pick...I'm not saying that it doesn't work out but we have so many needs, I can envision picking the best player available.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 11, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is the best free agent quarterback out there.
Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 11, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Damn, if this is true, then there are either no (0) (zero) free agent quarterbacks out there, or the ones that are must be on life support and near death.

You had me falling out my chair laughing with this observation. I shutter to think that Jason Campbell is the best free agent QB out there. If so, then we need to look to the draft or start crafting a good trade scenario.

Posted by: SkinsKen | November 11, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

No doubt that the offensive line affects how well a QB plays, and I don't think Jason is a terrible QB. But Aaron Rodgers has been sacked 37 times and has 16 TDs/5 int. and Ben Roethlisberger (sp?) has been sacked 25 times and has 14 TDs/7 int.

Jason has been sacked 28 times and has 9 TDs/8 int. Granted Jason hasn't thrown as many passes as those two, but that's still a big difference.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | November 11, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | November 11, 2009 6:14 PM |

You have a point. It would be nice to say let's take our 1st rounder and convert it into a low 1st rounder and 2nd rounder and get two good OL instead of one great one. Problem is there is not a lot of OL depth in the draft according to some. Don't know if you could come away with two good OL with that strategy.

Posted by: PsyOps | November 11, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I can envision picking the best player available.

Posted by: rickyroge
_____________

Even if it's a TE or DL, and graded only slightly higher than an OL or QB or RB? I doubt you're saying that, but I fear that's the level to which Vinny is beholden to "BPA".

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 11, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

As biased as he is I would listen to Sonny first ...

Posted by: periculum | November 11, 2009 6:13 PM |

Not sure I would listen to him at all. Strikes me as cranky old fart.

Posted by: PsyOps | November 11, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Campbell misses open receivers more than he should from what I've seen.

He also runs for his life half the time he goes back because the guys in front of him block like a bunch of matadors.

He may be damaged goods at this point, he may never have been any good anyways. With this line, it is hard to tell. Either way, I'd hang on to him for at least another year (if they can..probably not), while they shore up the line (lets hope they can at least figure that out this time around), and then draft a QB to compete in 2011.

What other true options are there anyways?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 11, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rusty6392
__________

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 11, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsKen

I'll give the wind up throwing motion but last how can people continue to say "he's not accurate when he completes mid to high 60% of his passes?

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

i dont think we can fix everything in one year but maybe get close i think if we would consider signing vick be hind an ok o-line then draft spiller in the first anfter trading our first for a lower first and a third, then pick up o-line with 2nd round. o-line with 3rd, and o-line with 4th then sign 2 olineman in free agency and sign the olb from kansas city (johnson) that should get us somewhere what do you guys think?

Posted by: jtbowhunter | November 11, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:52 PM

I know we don't know, its fun to play coach or analyst.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 11, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

It's worth saying again....God you're stupid. You may want to refrain--that means stop shtihead-- from using words or thoughts you neither understand nor can spell.

Posted by: k_square | November 11, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"And don't forget his #'s get inflated when he plays better against a prevent D after the games are out of hand.Posted by: chasgiffen"

One common assumption is that a team that's ahead in the second half automatically goes to a 'prevent' scheme to slow down the opponent's offense. It's worth remembering that when you're behind. you're forced to the air, which allows the defense to 'pin its ears back' and rush the passer without fear of the run. The QB may be under more pressure when he's behind than when the game is closer.

Posted by: Samson151 | November 11, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

If this isn't a Vinny-esque quote, I don't know what is. This is the reason why our line is garbage. Vinny's belief that we can get dudes who haven't played in 4 years and journeyman to pass and run block is crazy.

Posted by: dcwun | November 11, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't need to watch every play and discuss with anyone to know our o-line sucks. I do not need GM experience to tell me that you need to draft o-line in rounds 1-4 almost every year.

I learned from Vince Lombadri that a winning football team starts with a great offensive line and that has not changed in 40 years.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 11, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PsyOps
____________________

Plus what if you do that, get 2 "good" OL prospects, then one craps out and the other is just good. Is that a better risk strategy than taking a swing at (one) stellar player, who could end up being stellar or maybe just good (like Robert Gallery), or of course could fail entirely but I doubt this happens much.

I've heard the same thing about the OL in this draft, and that's why I'm thinking that if we can't get a true monster OL prospect like Okung (?) with our high 1st, try to trade down and take one of the 5-7 QB's that are allegedly 1st-round rated, and then have two 2nd round picks for OL. The rook QB would be on the bench for a year anyway, so best to get that process started this year instead of next. It takes OL far less time to "gel" as someone above discussed, than QB. Plus we want to try to get 1-2 OL via FA, and may also pursue OL in the later draft rounds.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 11, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun
____________________

Unfortunately, I think if we were regularly drafting OL in the 2nd or 3rd rounds (not saying we shouldn't occasionally take one in the 1st), we'd have (and maintain) a great O-line. And that would allow us to occasionally "take swings at" potentially great players at the offensive skill positions or hard-to-find D positions (CB and DE, especially) in the 1st.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 11, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Landry was robbed. Hall, Haynesworth deserve their fines.

Posted by: League-Source

For one we don't know if he was fined, since Landry was too immature to open his envelope from the league.

Second, in the NFL, driven by money not logic, there are few greater sins than threatening the health of a franchise quarterback.

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

For me, the position group priorities - the building blocks - are always OL # 1, DL # 2, secondary # 3. Vinny doesn't have building block numbers 1 and 3 at a competent level, or we'd be doing quite well.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 11, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 11, 2009 7:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------

I would modify this slightly OL #1, DL #2, CB #3, LB #4, S #5. Take QB, RB, WR when someone special is available. A lot of good WR's and RB's go in rounds 3-7.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | November 11, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | November 11, 2009 6:59 PM

Immature? Man, it's the 21st Century. Do you still open your own mail, Cork? I don't. I hand it straight to my agent and have him appeal on my behalf.

Posted by: League-Source | November 11, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins team that I have cheered for for the past 30 years has become a team of a few knuckleheads like Laron Landry and Deangelo Hall and this is all on Vinnie Cerrato who obviously does not take into account character and smarts when drafting or signing free agents. Please put us out of our misery and do not write one single more article on the Washington Knuckleheads.

Posted by: getitritegov | November 11, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Denial - Denial - Denial

Posted by: hessone | November 12, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Just as we judge a players performance so is it the behavior is judged. The idea that often times a players behavior is so bad that its excused as oh he is an "emotional player." What does that mean anyway? The player is so emotional he can't hold it together to play his game and do his moves. Then he belongs in a rubber room.

I would suggest Zorn get a few rooms ready and we all know without saying who would go in there.

Posted by: mac7 | November 12, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse