Defense Strives to Be Different, but Still Dominant

Late in the Skins' second-half collapse last season, defensive coordinator Greg Blache seemed defensive about his group's performance.

In his weekly interview session with reporters, Blache often reminded us, "We do have the No. 4-ranked defense." It was Blache's not-so-subtle way of letting the scribes and electronic folks know that no matter what we thought about the group's failure to produce more sacks and turnovers, the Skins still were pretty good under his leadership. There was one particularly testy exchange with a reporter in which Blache acknowledged, duh, the Skins simply don't get a lot of sacks and turnovers. And that's why I believe Blache is under more pressure this season.

The reality is the Skins didn't have the personnel to be an attacking, big-play defense in 2008, and Blache, who also was a successful coordinator with the Bears, knew that better than anyone. Defensive end Jason Taylor, acquired on the first day of camp when Phillip Daniels suffered a season-ending knee injury, was slowed by injuries and poorly fit Washington's disciplined scheme. The Skins envisioned a productive edge-rushing tandem of Taylor and end Andre Carter, but it never materialized and Carter struggled for the second time in three seasons with the team.

Strong-side linebacker Marcus Washington, an effective third-down, hand-down rusher in previous seasons, had lingering hamstring problems that prompted the Skins to reduce his role and release him in February.

Owner Daniel Snyder approved major signing bonuses to lure all-pro defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth from the Titans, re-sign cornerback DeAngelo Hall and sign defensive end Brian Orakpo, the team's top pick in the draft. From the early results in camp, the presence of Haynesworth and Orakpo on the line (he's expected to have his hand down on third down and play strong-side linebacker on first and second downs) should result, at the very least, in more consistent pressure than the line previously generated. And Hall, who shined after signing with the team during last season, has been a big-play corner throughout his career.

With the money Snyder spent, I would expect he figures the Skins should maintain a high overall defensive ranking and also produce enough sacks and turnovers to get the ball back to the offense in key moments of games. That's a lot.

After how poorly things turned out with Taylor, Blache has signaled his willingness to give Haynesworth more room to maneuver within the defensive scheme, but that could disrupt the group's balance at times. Orakpo clearly is a talented pass rusher, but it wouldn't be surprising if he experienced growing pains playing in space as a SAM backer. And with so much money tied up in Haynesworth, it could be devastating to the defense if he missed significant time because of injuries. Of the 112 regular-season games the Titans played in Haynesworth's seven seasons, he appeared in 90, including 74 starts. He played in all 16 games once -- his rookie season in 2002.

Expectations at the complex and among Skins fans are soaring because of how dominant the defense has appeared, and the line in particular, early in camp. But defenses that appear great on paper often disappoint on the field, and Blache knows strange things can happen during the season.

It seems, however, the personnel is there for the Skins to both be a productive defense overall and the big-play group Snyder paid for in the offseason. It's up to Blache to put everyone in the best position to make that happen.

"We know we have the potential to be a certain type of defense," Carter said. "We added some good guys and everybody is real excited. As long as we just do what we have to do, we can be that type of defense."

I would imagine Snyder is counting on it.

By Jason Reid  |  August 3, 2009; 9:41 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Get a Bit of Time Off
Next: Chat Until Skins Hit Practice Field

Comments

Foist

Posted by: dfresh58 | August 3, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

HTTR

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

2st

Posted by: isnadd | August 3, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I hope it's just a rumor, but evidently Haynesworth's knee is already giving him issue, per ProFootballTalk.

Please say it ain't so....

Posted by: chris_rollins2k3 | August 3, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

scampbell1975

"...I really would like to hear some commentary on how the younger guys are doing. I haven't heard a single word on Rinehart, Clark, or Montgomery."

Or Edwin Williams or Scott Burley.

Let's just say the offensive line is a work in progress and the defensive line is, well, scary.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 3, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

We need a big Kicker. If this is gonna be a D team we need to be locking up them 3's

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to raise a media question at this point:

Which broadcast do you folks like to follow during camp/pre-season? Redskins Nation has a pretty low production value and some of the better shows don't focus enough on the Skins... Any happy mediums?

My DVR thanks you!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Oh, give me a break, Reid. It's like you WANT fans to feel bad about this team.

You take the single most positive thing in training camp and try to spin this tired doom and gloom act all over it.

Quit listening to the whiners on here that think you're not being critical enough. That's not your job. YOU'RE A REPORTER; NOT AN ANALYST.

Missing Haynesworth would be hardly devastating...we have 2 excellent DT's playing behind him. Did you forget these guys helped get us to the #4 ranking last year? It's not as if they're overhauling the whole scheme for Albert.

Just go back to banging on how bad the Skins O-line is going to be...you guys seem to love that schtick. (Oh, and that bit about things on paper not turning out that way in reality? Work both ways, sucka. The O-line will likely surprise you this year...)

Worst POS nonsense I have seen you post yet. I'm sure JLC would be proud.

Posted by: McMetal | August 3, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"The reality is the Skins didn't have the personnel to be an attacking, big-play defense in 2008, and Blache, who also was a successful coordinator with the Bears, knew that better than anyone"

Blache wasn't just successful with the Bears -- he produced a dominant defense that produced a lot of turnovers. He's one of the coaches that would actually know what to do with an Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Buen puento Alex...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

This season I'd like to see the Skins put their defense on the field first if they win the toss, to really set the tempo for the game and then get good field position.

It also seems like over the past few seasons the opposing team opening up on offense after halftime has been successful in that first drive of the third quarter against the skins defense, so just eliminate that scenario and come out on offense in the 3rd quarter.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 3, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

You guys were talking about Owen Wilson on the last thread. Did you all know that he kicks for the 'Skins?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

By the way, don't you think the team is still pretty thin at LB?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Ridiculous to think Pierce should be charged for carrying Plax's weapon taking him to the hospital, what else is he going to do??" Uh, waitress could you hold onto this for me please?? Haha, I know it's got some blood on it, just think of it as a tip..See you later!!"

Posted by: frak | August 3, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

After reading that article by Wiesman posted by BW, I think it is clear that ORakPizzy will be playing SAM 1st and 2nd down. If we go to nickel on 3rd (or 2nd), he would have been that 3rd LB who would have to leave the field to be replaced by a DB. So, instead of him leaving, they put him on the DLine to Rush the passer. To be honest, this makes perfect sense.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Samson
I think the team drafted like 40 linebackers in the later rounds over the last few years. So I think we have depth with out talent But lets hope the scheme and savvy can be enough for some of those guys to be productive.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

hahahaha Roy Williams.. hahahahaha

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Here what Samuels is saying about Orakpo from extremeskins

“You know, I’ll tell you, this young kid is going to be awesome at this level,” said offensive tackle Chris Samuels. “I’m working against him and he beat me a few times out there. I’m just trying to get back into the groove of things and he’s coming out fired up as a young pup. He’s going to be awesome, and I tell you what – I’m definitely glad to be working against him. He’s definitely going to help me get better.”

“Oh, definitely, I’ve got to step it up,” he said. “Any time you go against anyone out here, they’re pros so you’ve got to step it up, but like I said, he’s definitely good. He’s going to be a great one. I compare him to DeMarcus Ware already, with his speed, quickness and power. He’s a tough guy.”

Posted by: TWISI | August 3, 2009 10:07 AM

Posted by: TWISI | August 3, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm in that same camp with CL and PK. But, boy, early reports on Orakpo are sure encouraging. Of course, early reports on Oher have been good, too.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 9:50 AM

It was a tough call, in my opinion their biggest need going into that draft was DE and RT. I would have liked either pick, Oher or Orakpo. I like the early returns on Orakpo and if their use of him is any indication, Oher would be splitting time at RT and Center anyway...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

By JReid
"

Actually, this whole incident was created by JLaC. He was the only one badgering Blache at that presser, which can be viewed on Redskins.com uncut. And got testy when JLa kept asking the same question in different ways regarding the pass rush.

There is no pressure from Blache. He was about to retire last year until Snyder lured him back. This is about going all the way for him, not maintaining jojb security.......

I stamp this with, No News is No News.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

A early comparison to Ware, from a guy who would know. Thats good to hear.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Wow the JReid bashing continues...

If f'n Gandhi was to take over the blog, some will still find SOMETHING negative to say.

JReid, you just do you, and let the haters do them.

Until you post a thread titled: "Let's think of a nickname for Snyder and Cerrato", you're okay in my book. There isn't an agenda in your post, like it was with your boy, La Canfora. You analyze, write, then report what you see.

McMetal, do you understand that concept? have you been to any of the practices in Ashburn so far? 'Cause if you have then I'd like to hear your analysis/opinion. If you haven't, then who are you to say if his analysis is "POS Nonsense"?

And another thing, Griffin and Montgomery aren't "excellent" DTs, if they were, why bring in Haynesworth and draft Orakpo. Yes, they're serviceable to good. But excellent? I thinks not.

The Reid bashing, like to La Canfora bashing is beyond fatigued already!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

It'll be interesting to see how BOrak reacts to real-time pro ball. His confidence seems super high right now (doesn't consider himself a rookie). As long as he doesn't get down on himself, it'll be fun to watch!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Well said, RedD!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Nation is unwatchable, as is Larry Michael.

Posted by: TheMichael | August 3, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

My new goal this week is to used "beyond fatigued" as much as possible...thanks Red!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Griff and Monty are good rotation guys, and if you needed to play a game with the 2 of them as starters I think you could do it. Neither is going to take up 2-3 blockers each play. But I will be fine with them as situation guys. Can either play a run stopping DE?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

then don't watch it.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2009 10:24 AM

That would be me. I'd say "We deserve a better blogger than a dead Indian whose only sport was cricket."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Griff is better than a rotation guy IF (big if) healthy. To equate Griff as same level as Monty is incorrect.

Also Gholston > Monty.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"...in my opinion their biggest need going into that draft was DE and RT."

True.

But having whiffed on drafting Sam Baker--or any other tackle in '08 for a tight end--I'd say the tackle spot was a priority over de.

But what's done is done.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 3, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I just heard on Cowturd that Haynesworth is day to day with a knee injury. Any one else know anything about this?

Posted by: TWISI | August 3, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"He’s going to be a great one. I compare him to DeMarcus Ware already, with his speed, quickness and power. He’s a tough guy.”

Posted by: frak | August 3, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Any one else know anything about this?

Posted by: TWISI | August 3, 2009 10:32 AM

According to the NAtional media that hates the REdskins, they are downplaying an existing knee injury.

According to the REdskins, he was only scheduled to work once a day at the begining as they don't want to add to his grind since he's been working all offseason long.

He did get an injection to his knee that I never heard of before over the weekend.....

Monty's Potential > Gohlston's Potential

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 3, 2009 10:32 AM |

CL--Did you get all the references in this post, and how many of them were there?

Good post, frak.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I meant Goldston when I said Griffen. Though I think one of the young buts could push Griffen towards the end of the year.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth might just wanna take it easy and rest that knee. We know what he can do. He needs to save it for the season.

Posted by: FedorEm | August 3, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

alex

"...Griff and Monty are good rotation guys..."

My money is on Kedric Golston being the 2nd biggest beneficiary of Prince Al joining the d-line.

The 1st?: Brian Orakpo--NFC Rookie of the Year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 3, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

In the Examiner(terrible paper, good sports sections) they said that Al was getting a shot in his Knee due to problems with Arthritis. Hopefully this is just routine, its pretty early.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 3, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"Monty's Potential > Gohlston's Potential"

Potential and $3.25 get you a venti Mocha Latte at Starbucks...

I've watched them play now three year. Gholston has better football smarts, higher motor and works harder.

Gholston > Monty

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Moe,
I think LFB will get a boost from Big Al, maybe even get the long awaited pro-bowl. Look at how much stronger Ray Ray was in Hon'Town when he had some big eaters in front of him when lined up vs when he had some below average guys in the front of the line. Big Al could do for LFB what Sam Adams and the Goose did for Ray Ray.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | August 3, 2009 10:37 AM

And not only that, it will allow Dockery and Rabach to get some rest and to build some self-confidence.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth: Washington Times has him listed out with a knee injury, day-to-day as it were.......

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 3, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

frak

"NOW you're talkin'!! We'll take a Rak Sak Mean-Bojacka, 20 a year Packa any day of the Macka-Lakka!! -Starjack McFly"

What's scary is that I understand this.

How do you come up with the verbal assualt pattern you post?

It's got to be the most distinctive voice in this blog.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 3, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator
---------------------
Talent, that was funny. I still think you are an a-hole, but that was funny. I'm letting you back in the circle of trust, for now.

Posted by: isnadd | August 3, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Big Al's knees are problematic....that is not new. He was broken down by the end of Titans season last year.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Frak is the Man!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Take note JR: unless it's really puffy, McMetal's vagina gets a little sore.

Posted by: mack1 | August 3, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 10:39 AM

That makes 2 of us. Gholston has been great and is approaching his ceiling. Monty's ceiling is waaay higher but is the classic underacheiver who is finally coming out of his shell. I saw it last year and this year will be the year he blossoms.

I know this article is forgotten because ST21 was kilt about a month later, but let me refresh your memory:

He was a former high school QB and starting poin gaurd standing @ 6'6" and 300+ lbs.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

speaking of bro-mance.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I still think you are an a-hole...I'm letting you back in the circle of trust, for now.

Posted by: isnadd | August 3, 2009 10:44 AM

Of course I'm an a-hole. BFD. People who don't like a-holes usually don't like me. And I hope your "circle of trust" isn't your own a-hole. I'm an a-hole, not a turd.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

BG: weak...

4TH:m I like Monty, hopefully you are right...but my gut tells me Gholston is the Keeper.

Mack: funny stuff

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh, give me a break, Reid. It's like you WANT fans to feel bad about this team.

Worst POS nonsense I have seen you post yet. I'm sure JLC would be proud.

Posted by: McMetal | August 3, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Amen. It's as if the Jason Reid who reported on this team 2 years ago and the Jason Reid who is reporting on the team now are 2 different people. JLC clearly taught him well...taught him how to attack the team with impunity.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 3, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"Monty's Potential > Gohlston's Potential"

What that should read is 'Monty's talent > Golston's talent'

Both are good, both are essentially equivalent, both will play a rotational role. Montgomery is bigger, quicker, and stronger, Golston is a smarter and harder-worker. In a starter's role that requires you to take no plays off, Golston is probably better, but in a rotational role Montgomery may actually be more valuable.

And no doubt, beneficiaries #1 and #2 from Haynesworth will be Griffin and Carter.

Posted by: psps23 | August 3, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

the anti-Reid circle j@rk grow to 2....Barno I don't even think JReid was on the beat 2 years ago......

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

cl, right, when you do it, its spot on, but when someone throws that crap back at you, you call it weak.....riiiiiight......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

alex

"I think LFB will get a boost from Big Al, maybe even get the long awaited pro-bowl."

True.

The double teaming of Prince Al means teams will have to find another way to 'chip' London Fletcher--he should get more exposure and recognition.

And Fletcher is a Pro Bowler in a ways measured by media types--he makes an effort to be in on every play, doesn't get hurt, and leads by example.

Pro Bowl for a lot of guys is based on their name and rep with the media, and not what they do on the field.

A case in point?: Zach Thomas

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 3, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

CL

Posted by: mack1 | August 3, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Another way to put it:

Golston vs. Montgomery is like Ladell Betts vs. Leon Washington.

One is a better option as a starter, the other is a better option as a change-of-pace.

Posted by: psps23 | August 3, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I just hope we escape camp and preseason without any major injuries. If we can do that, I really think this team can make the playoffs. Optimistic is the only way to enter the season as a fan.

Posted by: FedorEm | August 3, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

mack1

"Take note JR: unless it's really puffy, McMetal's vagina gets a little sore."

Mad funny, bro'

And I thought I was a nasty dude.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 3, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

yeah when your first with a joke its funny, when you just throw a joke back on someone than it is weak. That seems pretty self evident my man....kinda like Circut City was a poorly run company is self evident.

Plus you are assuming a bro-mance is a bad thing...just means friend/have stuff in common. You and flound have whittled away hours big-upping each other...ie a bro-mance. If you were a movie you would have just grossed 45 mil in a weekend (I love you man, Role Models, Wedding Crashers...ect ect...) so chill...or at least come back at me with some style!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Man, that knee talk scares me fully. This team does not have the good record on health issues, per se. (see hammy debacles of past, what, three? seasons...see JayTay the Gimp, etc...)

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

not too be nit picky my dudes, but there's no h in golston.

speaking of golston, the other day him and sellers got into it a bit after a play was over. my money would be on sellers in that case, but I think it'd be close

Posted by: -swb | August 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"It's as if the Jason Reid who reported on this team 2 years ago and the Jason Reid who is reporting on the team now are 2 different people."

Translation: I liked him a lot more when the team was in the midst of a 2007 playoff run than I do when he's reporting on a team coming off a disappointing season, a worse offense, and one of the worst midseason collapses in franchise history. Why can't he be positive all the time?

Posted by: psps23 | August 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"CL
I was up in your parts last week. Love Brooklyn. Ate at very good Mexican style restaurant with a rooftop deck and a postcard view of Manhattan. It's near the carrol gardens area but I can't remember the name. Ring a bell?"

Yo Mack, I think you were at Alma in Red Hook. Good place, great view. I hit up the central american food carts that spring up around the soccer fields in Red Hook. My haul:

Barbacoa goat taco, Pork taco, Shrimp ceviche, cheese empanada, cheese papusa, 2 Hibiscus iced teas!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

bromance = creepy.

pls stop.

...maps...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

What is everyone getting their panties in a bunch for. Even if Haynesworth gets hurt, which will likely happen at some point, we got Daniels back, Wynn still has a little gas in the tank, Orakpo sounds like a man-beast, and I'm really stoked about Jeremy Jarmon who is the proto-typical pass-rusher...whatever that means.

I'm way more concerned about the LB position at this point.

Posted by: isnadd | August 3, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 11:04 AM

Now that's a real lunch!

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

A case in point?: Zach Thomas

Posted by: MistaMoe

Really, Moe? Zach Thomas does have over 1700 tackles. Fletcher has a little over 1300.

But...

Thomas has been playing for about 12 years, Fletcher has been playing for 10.

They're pertty much one and the same -- straight beast.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Alma! That's it. Thanks CL. Now I'm having lunch envy.

Posted by: mack1 | August 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Sacks and Turnovers! Again. Sacks and Turnovers! Again. Sacks and Turnovers!

Yeah, Blache should be a little testy about this subject, for without them your defense is just good, but with them your Team wins more games and Championships you might be playing for.

Especially, if the Offense kicks in.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I never heard of "Bro-mance" used to describe good friends. In my circle it's always: Cuz, Dog, B, N-word, (although I use it waaay less nowadays), Boy, Fam, Homie, Moe, and so on...

Bro-mance is funny as hell though. I think I'ma use it one of these days with the boys just to see how it's received.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

'Folks' always worried about other people's money........

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

'Folks' always worried about other people's money........

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"I'm going to let the guys sleep in. Breakfast will be optional," Coach Jim Zorn said. "If you're injured, you get no sleep. If you have something to do, you have to do it.--RI WAPO

I wonder who has the better idea?

Posted by: TheCork | August 3, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Red: Bro-mance mostly was birthed to describe buddy comedies now.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Worst POS nonsense I have seen you post yet. I'm sure JLC would be proud.

Posted by: McMetal

Look out Reid, you've awakened the stooges working at low level jobs at Redskin Park. They are merciless and they are after anyone's hide who does not adhere to the strict Party Line.

You've been warned.

Posted by: TheCork | August 3, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"The first Eagles Flight Night might be remembered for all the wrong reasons after one of the Birds' most important players, Stewart Bradley, was injured.

The Eagles middle linebacker injured his knee and cornerback Ellis Hobbs left with a stinger during practice Sunday night.

Both players will have MRI tests on Monday......... The extent of his injury wasn't immediately known, though trainers appeared concerned.

Bradley said he heard a pop, Howard Eskin said on NBC Philadelphia's Sports Final. It was unknown the actual extent of the injury but there was a fear that it could be an ACL tear that would require surgery, Eskin said.

The 6-foot-4, 255-pounder had 151 tackles in his first full season as a starter last year. He's the primary signal caller on a defense that already lost veteran safety Brian Dawkins in free agency.
"

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Stewart Bradley is a tackling machine...that would be a huuuuuge loss for the Eagles...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Patriots coach Bill Belichick lightened the load a bit on Sunday, with the second practice of the day a no-pads walkthrough"

just sayin....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

BG, now there is a comeback!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

hooray for me......I'm improving...one of these day's I'll get the hang of this.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Just changed my mind on picking the Eagles to win the division:

Birds hold their breath regarding Stewart Bradley
Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2009 11:10 AM ET
Eagles middle linebacker Stewart Bradley's 2009 season might have ended not long after it began.

During the team's inaugural "Flight Night" scrimmage, Bradley suffered a knee injury. Our unlikely friend and NBC colleague Howard Eskin said on Philadelphia Sports Final that Bradley heard a "pop."

He's scheduled to have an MRI today, and trainers reportedly are concerned.

Bradley became the starting middle linebacker last year. He's the primary signal caller and the likely successor to safety Brian Dawkins as the leader of the defense.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"Inteesting contrast. After his team's collapse last year, Zorn has worked overtime to make Camp a relative walk in the park--vets stay at home, everyone sleeps in.On the other hand Bill Bellichek has gone to the whip because his team barely missed the playoffs last year."

Belichick isn't putting in a bunch of new plays, and Zorn is. That seems to have been the problem in the 11 on 11. I'm with Bill Walsh -- the reps are more important than the hitting. In fact, with a veteran team, I would argue hitting is the one thing you should pay attention to in camp or the preseason.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Sorry -- that should read 'hitting is the one thing you SHOULDN'T pay attention to in camp or preseason..."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Samson151,
I totally disagree. The NFC East is the most physical of divisions out there - not like the mamby pamby NFC West that Walsh's team played in - and if you don't prime your players for that physical style of play, you are asking for trouble. Think about that first game and think about Brandon Jacobs bursting up the middle. If you are not ready to lay a big hit and be hit big, then you are going to be a speed bump on his his way to the end zone. This is the NFL. Vince Lombardi said that football was a game of running, blocking and tackling, and you can't do two of those things without hitting.

I know it is early in the season, but I really am sick of Zorn's "rest the aging players" philosophy. It destroys continuity, team unity and it sets a double standard when you rest some guys while other guys are out there busting their hump. Heck, the way the offensive line finished the season last year and have started training camp, they should be on the field twice as much as anyone else.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"But defenses that appear great on paper often disappoint on the field"
j reid

I think you left out the sentence where you provide an example to illustrate your perspective.

name a D that looked great on paper and not on the field, OR name anything that doesn't look great on paper.

that's how I owuld do it if I was being paid to write.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 3, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins Pass Protect and Run Block Schemes are stale. Any time a QB' sets up in basically the same/spot area, the Defense gets accumstomed to that and it makes disrupting the QB' much easier.

The same is true for the running game. Not much variety atall and may be the major reason why CP could not continue his 1st half season success into 2nd half last year.

Along with JC and Zorn having to show there worth this season, the philosophy of the Offense must show a major improvement as well.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 3, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Reid is not nearly as bad as JLC, its not even close if JLC was still here he would bemoan the redskins for cutting shawn springs (even though he wont play 10 games in NE just watch) and write about a source in Oak, who says hall is a cancer or some nonsense

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 3, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

One way to avoid that is too get(draft) some young blue chip studs like the Patriots and Giants do, and not get free agent rejects and projects. The Skins approach to their oline this offseason other than the Dockery aquisition can be summed up in one word - DUMB.

As of right now I'm going to be optimistic, cross my fingers and hope it works out. We'll see.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 3, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

" know it is early in the season, but I really am sick of Zorn's "rest the aging players" philosophy. It destroys continuity, team unity and it sets a double standard when you rest some guys while other guys are out there busting their hump. Heck, the way the offensive line finished the season last year and have started training camp, they should be on the field twice as much as anyone else.
Posted by: RedSkinHead"

LOL. Let's just say I'm really glad you're not the coach. Vince Lombardi quotes and all.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"I kind of have to agree with Redskinhead, this division is known for busting you in the mouth, so you might as well get used to it. I think there is too much pampering by Zorn, but then I know he's trying to keep the older guys from getting injured, especially our geriatric injury prone oline."

The NFC East's known for physical play, but can we really assert that it's more physical than say, the AFC North or South? Those games are pretty physical.

The NFL season is what, 16 games? And the league's considering increasing it. That's going to be enough hitting for anybody's taste. You certainly don't want to go into banged up from pre-season. Maybe at one time training camp was where you prepared yourself physically, but now, with offseason conditioning, and a chunk of these guys coming back from injuries, that purpose seems largely vestigial.

Camp is where they make decisions about who makes the team and who starts. That's all the motivation players need to get their juices flowing and show the staff how physical they can be.

The o-line, much maligned here, needs to be healthy and to execute better as a unit, particularly on pass plays. I'm pretty Chris Samuels already knows how hard the Giants hit.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

By the way, for what it's worth, the geeks who do the thousands of computer simulations for predicting the NFL season have the Skins and Cowboys finishing around .500, the Eagles with a good chance to win 9, and the Giants a clear leader with a fifty percent chance at 9 and a pretty good shot at 11 victories.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 3, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 3, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD
=========================================
Hey Larry, whatever changes Zorn has in store for the offense, you won't see it during training camp, at least at the practices open to the public. You won't see the changes in the preseason games either.

Please don't read too much into what's going on right now, for the most part, training camp is primarily used to evaluate the folks to cut or keep. OTAs was where new plays and wrinkles were introduced. All you're going to get now are base and standard sets with the offense.

Posted by: clark202 | August 3, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse