Meidt gets an assist in play-calling system

I expected at least a few glitches because new play-caller Sherman Lewis still was unfamiliar with the personnel and terminology after fewer than three weeks on the job at that point, but the process -- Lewis called the plays from the coaches' box, offensive coordinator Sherman Smith received them on the sideline and relayed them to quarterback Jason Campbell -- was seamless. And then, when I glanced at the television in the press box occasionally in the second half, I figured out why.

Offensive assistant Chris Meidt, the team's de facto quarterbacks coach, sat next to Lewis during the game. As I watched their interaction, it was obvious that Meidt was a huge help to Lewis, who came out of retirement after more than four years to, at first, serve only as an offensive consultant. Management quickly promoted him to play-caller.

The TV cameras captured Meidt pointing to Lewis's play sheets and talking to him. After the game, Coach Jim Zorn said the team devised a code system to help Lewis identify the passing plays he wanted to pick. Smith basically ran the running game and Zorn got back into the mix during the two-minute drill.

Zorn praised his offensive assistants for helping Lewis in what was a difficult situation for everyone. I think Meidt deserves most of the credit for his key role in helping to get the plays picked quickly. If that hadn't happened, the system would have collapsed.

So, just to review, the Redskins had to take time to devise a code system in order that someone unfamiliar with the personnel and terminology could call part of the offense from the coaches' box with the help of another coach. Smith, the offensive coordinator, handled the running game and Zorn, who was stripped of play-calling duties, revealed he called at least a portion of the plays in the two-minute drill.

That's how it worked. Why it came to this is another matter.

McIntosh smooth in 'Rocky IV'

One bright spot this season has been the play of Rocky McIntosh, Paul Tenorio writes. ... Also, note the links to the left on this page -- there's a new Redskins Insider podcast, looking ahead to the Atlanta game and the rest of the schedule.

By Jason Reid  |  November 4, 2009; 7:04 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snyder: 'We've let everyone down'
Next: Redskins QBs past, present stage a lively summit

Comments

Vinny is an idiot

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 4, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

and FIRST

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 4, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Good...more disfunction. Wasn't enough of that here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

I take this news as a positive. The team was challenged by having to get the new guy up to speed and they adapted. Good job. Now, they need to get some better plays that get more receivers down field and they need to do a better job with pass protection. Unfortunately, Heyer has an injury, Levi Jones isn't ready yet and Fred Davis isn't much of a blocker. I sense Campbell will take another pounding and one begins to wonder just how much of this JC will be able to endure.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 4, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mayor! You seem to be able to get some face time with Casserly. Why don't you ask him if he'd ever consider coming back to the Redskins as a GM?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 4, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Seems like a matter of opinion to me. Unless she's giving patently false statistics to back up her claims, I don't see where the stuff she's saying is "baseless" or "mastifestly false".

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Commenting on someone's opinion as "manifestly false" is perhaps misleading since they're not hard numbers. I will admit to that.

However, her opinions are (supposedly) based on facts and observations and I assume she uses some sort of logic to arrive at her conclusions.

I was commenting on how she's missing some important facts and/or (in some cases) how her logic is incorrect. All of that makes her opinions pointless and not worth reading or listening to.

When you have a situation like this, it's important, I think, to figure out what's really bad, what's OK and is not really the issue, and what's good. Then, work on fixing the bad while hopefully keeping the other things intact.

People like Jenkins simply cloud the issue by pointing out *everything* that's bad, even when they're clearly not. As such, they're simply piling on without providing interesting food for thought. It's like a reverse bandwagon effect.

And I'd really like to, sooner than later, start focusing on real problems rather than listening to sh** that's just plain noise spewed from people that probably have some grudge against the team (although that last part is just hearsay from my end)

Posted by: hailbg | November 4, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I just don't get the point of trying to point out anything good in a miserable season that will probably not yield any more wins. Help me understand...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 7:44 AM

Isn't that what being a die hard fan is about? There were many long suffering Red Sox fans, Capital fans, Saints fans that have suffered through years of poor to mediocre teams. Yet you cheer them on. You cheer for the team, players etc. You argue against reason that next season if this happens, or that happens thing will turn around for your team. I'm not saying you're not a fan if you choose to move on from the cheering until they start winning again, but I do understand the emotions of not liking "outsiders" bashing your favorite team.

Posted by: TWISI | November 4, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Yes, but the (lack of) results still came down to player execution. How is Lewis going to help with that problem? We already know Vinny isn't -- how can you replace a pro-bowl LT with a rookie FB?

Posted by: siris | November 4, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

hopefully, one of these guys, Meidt/Lewis, realizes the shortcomings on the OL, and is going to compensate for that, no 7 step drops, rolling pocket, lots of screens to slow up the pass rush...lets not just drop jc 7 yards behind the LOS and watch him get killed....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

The quote by Roosevelt at the end pretty much sums up Snyder. Did anyone catch in Snyder's "statement" all the we's he was throwing out? It starts at the top Dan, there are no "we's" up there with you, just you.

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I hear you, hailbg.

I've tuned people like that out. I realize others haven't as of yet, it's just a defense mechanism to maintain sanity. Right now I even have a hard time using the Redskins on Madden (the ONLY place they're any good) because I just hate so much about the current team.

Hopefully all the venom from the fanbase sinks in and creates REAL change. But somehow, I doubt it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

mistamayor

"I have to admit I was surprised by how smoothly the Redskins' new play-calling procedure seemed to run in the team's 27-17 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles."

I have to admit that in hindsight, the Sherm Lewis hiring might be a good idea.

Too, perhaps we should give Zorn a 'my bad,' and hope he has the cajones to demand turnover that brings youth, speed, and roster versitility.

After all, 3-13 will be a good thing if changes are made.

3-13 will be a bad thing if things remain the same.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 4, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 4, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I think my original point is being misrepresented here.

I couldn't care less of outsiders bashing the Redskins. They deserve it. More importantly, if the criticism is constructive and well-informed, it's certainly worth addressing.

What I have issue with is negative nellies levying (what I think are) baseless criticisms at the team just because it's fashionable to do so.

That's pointless and stupid and should be ignored and avoided at all costs. And in this particular instance, Jenkins has a history of doing just that.

Posted by: hailbg | November 4, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

This is a nice comment on how coaches handled things but...

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

The Redskins didn't. To me, nobody did their job well then.

Every single person in the organization needs to focus on getting better in how everything is done.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | November 4, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Hailbg,

I agree with you regarding Jenkins. While I agree with many of her criticisms, I fail to see how she can have any true insight on the team when she is living up in New York.

Aside from one article praising Jim Zorn last year, it would seem she comes swooping in during the bad times (admittedly, there have been plenty of those) to throw some rocks.

There are plenty of things wrong with this organization. It's too bad so many people, including many fans, lack the ability to think objectively when trying to correctly identify them, and a solution for them.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 4, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Here's the plan: Promote Zorn to H2O Technician.
Zorn needs to be gone for a thousand reasons..but one of the strongest is the fact that he refused to play the younger players all freakin year, Lewis comes in and 2 of the 3 WR/TE of the 2008 draft easily have their best game. Then the icing on the cake: Taking painstakingly long to replace Randle El on punt returns is mind boggling.
Now we see it again with the impression that Heyer will continue to start. Enough

Posted by: ga8085 | November 4, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 4, 2009 8:23 AM

I can't speak to the Red Sox, Caps, and Saints but the Redskins situation is different. It's one thing to have an owner who doesn't know what the hell he's doing, it's different to have one that is insanely arrogant and refuses to do what it takes to win. God knows I loved this team thru the Norv years and the one-and-done year of Richie Petibon when the Cookes owned the team. That kind of ineptitude you feel like you can get thru, especially when there was a measure of success in the not-so-distant past. The kind of ineptitude that Snyder is forcing on us feels permanent.

Snyder makes rooting for the Redskins feel like rooting for the villian in a movie. Or Goliath to tear David limb from limb. Most of us here love the Redskins because it's a reflex and it pre-dates the crap over the last 10 years. I doubt any of us would actively seek out this kind of football hell.

Snyder has made the entire experience bad. The gameday experience is awful. He overpromises and underdelivers with the team's expectations on an annual basis. Then he screws with the tailgating. Takes fans to court over season tickets during one of the worst recessions this nation has ever seen. And now the stuff about the signs in the stadium. That's not even discussing the ridiculous cost for all this mediocre football.

So yes, I probably can't be called a "die-hard" fan anymore. I still love the colors, love the history, but I think my blood pressure is more important than supporting a team that so blatantly doesn't give a shti about me. But I doubt I'm the only one out there who's seen enough.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow, just heard on ESPN that Cleveland's owner is going to meet with the fans to discuss what needs to be done to have a winning team. Now that's impressive

Posted by: ga8085 | November 4, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | November 4, 2009 8:50 AM

It's a good PR move.

-------------------------------------------

But I doubt I'm the only one out there who's seen enough.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

If this blog is any indication, you certainly are correct in that sentiment.

Posted by: TWISI | November 4, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I can't speak to the Red Sox

I can. Born, and raised in the area, been a Sox fan since I can remember. It was an annual rite of passage to be disappointed every year. 2003 was about as aggravating/disappointing thing that you can go through as a sports fan, however winning it all in 04/07, makes the bitterness go away. Good times will come back to this franchise. These things go in cycles...look at the Patriots, a veritable laughing stock up until the 2001 season....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Re: Smooth play-calling system.

At least the dog crapped on the wooden floor and not the carpet this time.

Re: Snyder's apology.

He can cram it down Vinny and Donovan's piehole. Words are cheap and the gameday product is expensive and lousy. Save your apologies, lower prices and fire Vinny!

Posted by: p1funk | November 4, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 4, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------
I hope JC cant endure anymore. He needs to get back to his real job on his Shrimp Boat, Forrest is running into a piers.

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 4, 2009 8:44 AM

The same way Chris Larry follows the team from NY. The same way I follow the team from PA. This ain't 1985...with the internet and a 24/7 news cycle for sports and anything else out there, location has nothing to do with it.

Plenty folks here disagree with Jenkins, some with good reason. "She doesn't know anything cuz she lives in NY" isn't one of them.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 4, 2009 8:44 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

With all due respect to Chris Larry and brownwood26, you are not being well-paid to present your opinions to the public with the expectation that they should be more insightful and interesting than the average Joe's.

Frankly, your point only reinforces why we should ignore Jenkins and take whatever she says with a grain of salt, just like we would do with any other hamster up here on RI who doesn't have legit access to the Skins.

Posted by: p1funk | November 4, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 9:07 AM

I can just picture you in blackface sharing a cigar with Rush Limbaugh as you typed that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | November 4, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

He already met with two of them. The guys are still going through with their "Brown Out."

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Lets just hope the bye week helped our team heal up. Teams coming off a bye usually have a good record in these games. Though I don't expect a win, I do want to see the offence improve. Maybe Hall can get us some + field position with PR's. As bad as they have been, I am happy there is a game this week.

Posted by: FedorEm | November 4, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

time to go get some work done....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 4, 2009 9:12 AM

Dude, NOBODY has access to the Skins! Unless Snyder is controlling the message, he doesn't allow it! The Post doesn't have it, the Times doesn't have it, nobody other than Redskins.com, Red Zebra and Larry Michael.

So by your logic, we shouldn't listen to anything Reid or Cindy or Daly or anyone has to say on the Skins. We should just drink up the piss-flavored Kool-Aid from Snyder.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"If Zorn remains (and who's to say he'll be a goner?), Sherm calling plays with Zorn managing the emotions of a team that respects him might not be a bad thing." - Moe

Um, since when has Zorn proved to be a leader or a decent manager of anything? Just because a player, or players don't openly speak out against him doesn't mean that they respect him, or want him to be their coach.

All I heard was a few players express how it's not all on Zorn. Well no-freakin'-duh! Of course it all isn't on Zorn, everyone knows that!

I guess I'm just sick of this "woo is Zorn" crap from people. It's OBVIOUS that the dude was over his head...

* Never was at least an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

* Was on the Seattle staff for seven years and never held any other position other than QBs coach.

The list goes on but by now it isn't some big secret why he shouldn't have never been hired in the first place for anything at all.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 4, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Can you please stop cluttering your posts with those nonsensical video's pasted in the middle? Thanks.

Posted by: themantoyou | November 4, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Greg, how did you become a Skins fan if you were born and raised in Boston?

Not being a smart-ass, just curious.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Right. All those local reporters with press passes to get around Redskins Park have NO access to the Skins.

The ongoing presence around the practice facility, the news conferences, the stadium on game day, the lockerroom - all that is brown bagged bullcrap.

And by the way, you've done nothing to advance your point b/c your logic simply argues that Sally Jenkins opinion is just as useless and ignorant as everyone else's.

Posted by: p1funk | November 4, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 9:07 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Well, my wife is black, I dont somke and I also dont vote. It was in reference to his southern, cant throw to an open reciever retardation. But its good to know that the first thing someone would think about would be race, brownwood26 is Kevin Blackistone!

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

1983, Skins are playing the Raiders, all my friends were voting for the Raiders to win, I went with the Skins, who won, 37-35, or something like that, scoring 17 points in the last 7 minutes....been a skins fan ever since...shot my mouth off in jr high about how they were gonna DEMOLISH the raiders in the Super Bowl, and when that didn't happen, I pretended to be sick for 3 days in order to avoid my due commupance...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 4, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | November 4, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 9:23 AM

Right...because it's soooo unbelievable that race would come to mind when you say that a black dude from Mississippi should be working on a shrimp boat. I'm sure that's what ALL black guys do in Mississippi. No office jobs, no lawyers, no doctors...just shrimp fishers. My bad...

Idiot.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 4, 2009 9:23 AM

Still waiting for your point...there are no columnists there. By the logic you're bringing in here, there should never be a Redskins column from Wilbon or Kornheiser or Boswell because they don't go to press conferences or interview players like the beat writers do.

What I'm saying is a columnist is paid to write on their OPINION. You don't need a press pass to have an opinion on the subject. Jenkins gets the same info that Bos and Wilbon do, they just express it differently.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

That 1983 game against the Raiders during the regular season may be the best football game no one ever talks about, along with the Maryland comeback against Miami that occurred the same year as Flutie's Hail Mary.

Anyone looking at that game against the Eagles, looking at our offense and the way they performed, and finding any good in that... really, you either see the need for wholesale, systemic change or you don't. We have been satisfied with negligible, piecemeal changes that distract from the fundamental problems for far too long. This is not the Burgundy Reform Movement; it's got to be true Revolution, baby! Sherm Lewis has no place in the future of the Skins. Danny & Vinny would LOVE to make this all about playcalling, coaching, but you can rearrange the furniture at Ashburn all you want but finally, 5-6 years too late, we are all recognizingit's lipstick on a hog.

Posted by: positiveforce | November 4, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone noticed that, while building a case against ARE continuing to return punts, people list the crazy play against the Panthers as one of his mistakes? A diminishing agerage per return, east/west tendencies over north/south, the near muff against KC, and the total momentum killer against the Beagles....sure. All on him. But the play against the Panthers?! Is there ANY way ARE could've caught that ball?
I don't know if ARE is the right guy or not,(I certainly don't want to see the offense try to operate without Moss b/c he got hurt returning a punt)but at least don't blame him for a muff on that crazy play. Generally, he has taken care of the ball and, while not the dynamic player I remember him being as a Steeler, I don't see him picking the wrong lane or missing big chances for returns. Usually seems like there is nothing there.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 4, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Idiot.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Again, what does the fact that he's black have to do with anything. Dont try and put whatever issues you have with the color of peoples skin on someone else.

Idiot.

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz | November 4, 2009 9:07 AM

JC doesn't really remind me of Bubba from Forrest Gump, but if he were forced to work on a shrimp boat...he'd suggest the nets he was forced to work with weren't really good enough to catch shrimp, remind everyone that he'd had too many shrimping systems to learn over the course of his career, and sulk that Forrest would really rather be shrimping with Lieutennant Dan anyway.

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 4, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

JReid how do you know it would have collapsed?..Did Harvey tell you this?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | November 4, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes, and I wouldn't want a 9-5 desk jockey, a doctor, a lawyer, or a shrimp fisherman as my QB either...

...but unless I miss my guess, that's not particularly relevant to his comments.

What I believe murphyz was going for is/was [and correct me if I'm wrong murphyz] comparative comedy based on Mr. Campbell's unusual running gait that is quite similar to that of one (fictitious) Mr. Forrest Gump of film, and making a somewhat stretched play on Mr. Gump's transitional vocational period as a shrimp boat fisherman.

[BTW-the fictitious Mr. Gump was a Caucasian...Mr. Gump's departed friend and military comrade, Benjamin Buford "Bubba" Blue, was in fact the African American gentleman in question whose fondness for shrimp, and shrimp based cuisine, was Mr. Gump's muse to become a shrimp boat fisherman when he came into money from an endorsement deal. Mr. Gump's loyalty to, and fondness for, his departed friend Mr. Blue led to him name the company after Mr. Blue, and making sure Bubba's [Mr. Blue's] heirs got his share of the business' proceeds and profits from not only the shrimp company but also from some stock in Apple computers in which Mr. Gump & Lt. Dan invested. They did okay ;)]

So really, I don't see where any racism or even inferences thereof came from, other than in responses to murphyz's post...but certainly not from the post itself.

No, it is not at all unrealistic for someone to think raceā€¦but it is not (or should not be) the FIRST place one goes, unless one has their own race issues.

And now I'd like to re-direct your honor...

Dan,

PLEASE hire a qualified GM, let & have them hire your next Head Coach, and let the GM & Head Coach [two SEPERATE people...checks and balances, sir] hash out the assistants and assess the value of the players under contract in relation to the scheme(s) they want to install.

Let them figure out who stays, who goes, and let them help determine what the players are worth financially [so they can better assess when to just let go or not]IF they stay.

Hail!

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 4, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

JReid how do you know it would have collapsed?..Did Harvey tell you this?

Posted by: jcnjcnj | November 4, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse
--------------

LOL @ the Harvey reference.

If Cerrato was any kind of real GM and thought Zorn had too much on his plate, he could have gone to him discreetly and suggested Meidt to handle playcalling (or Smith even, someone who was on staff at the beginning of the season) without it becoming a media extravaganza. Instead he used it as an opportunity to emasculate and embarass the man into quiting to save his boss $4M. And then it didn't work. Great stuff.

Posted by: walkdwalk | November 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse