Mike Shanahan to reduce minicamp from three days to two

Things could be a little easier for Albert Haynesworth next week.

Apparently satisfied with the progress the team has shown, Coach Mike Shanahan plans to reduce the mandatory minicamp from three days to two, several people in the organization said Friday morning. The Redskins will practice Wednesday and Thursday and be off Friday.

After missing all but one day of Washington's voluntary program, Haynesworth is expected to report to Redskins Park for the start of camp. The disgruntled Pro Bowl defensive tackle has fallen far behind his teammates in learning the Redskins' new 3-4 scheme and remains uninterested in playing nose tackle, people familiar with the situation say, but intends to show up Wednesday because he could face disciplinary action for missing a mandatory team event.

Although Shanahan has pushed players throughout the offseason program, he has been fair with his demands, many players have told me, especially considering the Redskins went 4-12 last season, have finished last in the NFC East the past two seasons and four times since the 2004 season.

Publicly and privately, players have praised the Shanahans (Mike and offensive coordinator Kyle) and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett for the improved schemes they have brought to the Redskins. The team's wide receivers have not inspired confidence to this point, according to multiple team sources, and that position is expected to be an area of focus during the two-day camp.

By Jason Reid  |  June 11, 2010; 10:03 AM ET
Categories:  3-4 defense , Albert Haynesworth , Jason Reid , Jim Haslett , Kyle Shanahan , Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Albert Haynesworth's condition
Next: Redskins sign three draft picks

Comments

Hey Albert- Great news. Now you'll only have to suck wind for 2 days instead of 3. Time to celebrate. Grab some more chocolate pudding and another stripper!! Yeah for you!

Posted by: sufferinskinsfan | June 11, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Red, are you watching the World Cup? SA and Mexico are getting it in son.
Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 10:10 AM |

Sounds like they should send an immigration raid down to all those DC bars that opened at 7am this morning. Are they selling beer yet?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I am starting to get the feeling that the “Washington Post Editors” do not like Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

SJKing receivers!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 11, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I can't see the poll from the last page, but I assume it says something like "How fat is AH?"

I posted up here yesterday I believe... I know somebody who saw Albert in person recently and said he had trimmed down and was in good physical shape and will be ready to go, physically. Mentally? Who knows.

NBA - what a game by Big Baby Davis. Hopefully we'll get at least ONE game this series where everybody on both teams is playing well. Game 5 will probably decide the series.

Posted by: Rypien11 | June 11, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

The Washington Post has hired a parrot to run Redskins Insider. Saying the same thing over and over again.

Haynesworth is behind, Haynesworth doesn't want to play NT and the WRs haven't impressed. How many times does this need to be repeated?

Posted by: dfbovey | June 11, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I did appreciate the 3 negative choices they gave in the last poll.

They could have combined "he'll need every other play off" and "he'll weigh more than 400 pounds".

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth needs to be disgruntled. It give him an edge.

Last season he was gruntled so he came in out of shape.

He will win Defensive Player of the Year.

Book it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 11, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth needs to be disgruntled. It give him an edge.

Last season he was gruntled so he came in out of shape.

He will win Defensive Player of the Year.

Book it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 11, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

BPs response to another spill:

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 11, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Beano, why must you say such hurtful things? Quit pulling at your split ends son. It's not that serious.

So KG has one good game scoring the ball out of four games played and he's still a force? What else has he done in this series? Squadoosh. No real presence on the boards or in the post at either end of the floor. Pau, who you predicted would be scared of KG, has been taking him to big man camp. KG is now a complementary player not a force. I know even a caveman like you is smart enough to see this.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Our recievers don't scare anyone, time to sign "The player" once referred by parcells.

Posted by: bhoang888 | June 11, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Etrod - Just change your name to Carlos Rogers...

But I agree with your thinking...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

F BP!!!

Posted by: bhoang888 | June 11, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Moe, the 'skins definitely got the better end of the deal letting Coles go for Santana Moss, no argument there at all...

lh, you know good and well that I'm not watching soccer. I'm at work but if I were at home, I'll be on the '3' or watching something else.

dl, they JUST started selling beer about 45 minutes ago...

Another reason I knew they weren't selling alcohol any earlier than normal around here is because I likes to get my drink on, so if alcohol were available anywhere earlier than usual in the DMV, trust me, I'd know it!

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sufferinskinsfan | June 11, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

---------------------
Eli Manning dressed as a stripper covered with chocolate pudding dropping back as Albert's getting ready to slam him into the paisley turf and the clouds are so pretty and.......dammit, Bob! I told you these weren't shiitake mushrooms!

Posted by: InRealAmerica | June 11, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Please, Pau may be having the better series, but he's not taking anyone to "Big Man Camp"

Pau can't hold a candle to KG's career.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

** BREAKING WORLD CUP SCORE UPDATE **

After 45 minutes of play, plus floppage...uh, sorry...stoppage time it's: who am I kidding, it's nil-nil.

** END BREAKING WORLD CUP SCORE UPDATE **

Posted by: 4-12 | June 11, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Remember in 'The Waterboy' when Adam Sandler invisioned the quarterbacks and coaches as cuddly cute things, and what happened? He got like 50 sacks in a season. How about we convince Albert that the quarterback's are food, you know, like twinkies! "If you sack him really hard Al, cream filling could come out of his ears! Now, Go Get 'Em!" Of course, we'll have to hire people to pull him off of a quarterback after each sack so he doesn't gnaw a leg off or something. Except for Dallas twice a year, eat him up Big Al!!!

Posted by: monk811 | June 11, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I mean, you watched game #3 right??

Know what, nevermind, you're obviously too stupid based on what you've written....enjoy your day.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse
___________

Please take your homer glasses off and stop whining. LH is right about the Pau / Gasol issue. And as far as the refs go, they've been absolutely atrocious on both sides - there's no anti-Celtic bias. I could point out a ton of ridiculous calls against the Lakers that were total BS. There have been so many bad calls that they've actually evened out. It's 2 - 2 now - the celtics unfortunately played better and deserved the win last night - so we'll see which side wants it more. I have great faith in my boys in royal blue and gold.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I have great faith in my boys in royal blue and gold.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 11:03 AM

Jim Zorn? Is that you?

Can't be that big a fan if you don't know the Lakers wear PURPLE and gold. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Pau can't hold a candle to KG's career.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

Amen to that 'ish!

For the longest time KG has been a top 5 player in the league. If you base it off numbers alone, you could say that Garnett had the better career when comparing his and Duncan.

My top 5 post Jordan era:

Kobe
KG
T-Mac
AI
Wade

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn? Is that you?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse
_______

Jack Kent Cooke, who used to own the Lakers back through the 1970's, didn't like the idea that the team colors included "purple", so he called it "royal blue". My reference to "royal blue" is a subtle tribute to Mr. Cooke (RIP).

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Goooooollllllllllllllll!!!!!!

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

713, wasn't whining, was however pointing out a fact, on foul #2 sheed wasn't even touching llama. try and follow along...

lh, if you were my dad, I'd have killed myself a long time ago...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

** END BREAKING WORLD CUP SCORE UPDATE **

Posted by: 4-12

I'm for one am frickin' flabbergasted.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Gool?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

My top 5 post Jordan era:

Kobe
KG
T-Mac
AI
Wade

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I've got to give the edge to Duncan just because of the rings. Wish KG would've left Minny sooner, he def. had the talent to have as many championships as Duncan.

How you not have Shaq on that list? Get T-Mac out of there and replace with Shaq.

T-Mac and Vince Carter had the 2 most underwhelming careers in the post Jordan Era of any of the superstars.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Amen to that 'ish!

My top 5 post Jordan era:

Kobe
KG
T-Mac
AI
Wade

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse
________

I actually agree with you this time, although I think T-Mac's inclusion would have to be on raw talent, numbers, and potential, rather than results as he hasn't actually won a thing in his career or ever carried his team to anywhere. I think AI is the most fearless and tough scorer I've ever seen (but I don't go back to the real old days).

Regardless of KG and Pau now, where Pau has an edge, certainly KG has had a better career. Not sure about him vs Duncan, since their styles were so different. I think, everything else being equal, I'd take Duncan since he is (or was) so consistent and fundamentally sound.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 11:17 AM

Well played, sir. Tip of the cap and a thousand pardons.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

So if someone told you that your favorite soccer team gets scored on more times than your sister, it really wouldn’t be an insult to your sister. Just my random thought for the day.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Al??

Al Horton?

or A.I.?

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"The team's wide receivers have not inspired confidence to this point...and that position is expected to be an area of focus during the two-day camp."

It's a passing league, so you kinda sorta need pass catchers.

We brought in M Furrey for a look-see.

Is P Crayton availiable?

Is there some solid vet receiver worth trading AH straight up for?

Is Plax league ready or still, to quote Akon, "Locked Up"?

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

LOL dlhaze, that's friggin' hilarious.

Moe, if the Cowpokes cut Crayton I wouldn't be opposed to kicking his tires, but the last thing I'd do is trade a draft pick to a division rival for the rights to a depth WR.

I mean, what are we? The Eagles?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

pps, nobody was comparing careers. KG was once a great player. I never said otherwise. But the sand in that hour glass is about gone. Pau, on the other hand, is great player now. He's the best big in the game.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"The team's wide receivers have not inspired confidence to this point, according to multiple team sources, and that position is expected to be an area of focus during the two-day camp."

Didn't we just see a post just yesterday saying how the QB and WRs were successfully making big plays in the 2 minute drills?

Whazzup?

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

2 days...wow! How much easier could they make it for Haynesworth?

I just don't see how he's going to be ready by opening day. All the players that have been interviewed said this is a complex defense. He has never been in a 3/4 D. He has a crud load of new teammates on the D-line that he has no chemistry, rapport, or sense of timing with. He's certainly not as close to being in football shape as his teammates, even if he worked out all off-season. Also, he clearly doesn't want to be on this team, so I'd be surprised if he gives it his all anyway. And, not to mention, he doesn't come across as being very book smart, which is how he's relegated himself to learn this D since he couldn't be bothered to show up with everyone else. I hope he knows the difference between an X and an O.

He sucks, from a Redskins fan's perspective, regardless of his natural talents. Attitude is 90% of being a competitor and his is poor. Not feeling hopeful. Maybe he'll surprise me.

What a SJK!

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | June 11, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Al??

Al Horton?

or A.I.?

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse
_______

I was writing about Iverson.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"When you stand wid a n!gga, you stand with him through everythang...otherwise, you ain't nothing ya'self..."

---Boddie, "The Wire" season 2

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Goal in Spanish is Gol. And another was just scored. Goooooooooooollllllll!!!!

1-1. Somebody's sister is getting it today.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Understood. When you use phrases like "taking him to Big Man Camp", I thought you were implying that Pau is teaching him something, and there's nothing that Pau can teach KG.

Very debatable whether Pau is best big in the league. It's not like Shaq in 2000 when there wasn't even a question.

Pau is average when he doesn't have a strong defensive center or when he is the #1 option on a team.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

Duncan is a '4'. The best '4' of all time.

I give much props to McGrady becuase McGrady actually had peers. Shaq had none. I see KG and T-Mac's careers in the same light. Their overall production gets overlooked becuase they didn't win, although KG finally got his back in '08 and is competeing for another one this year.

Look at McGrady's numbers from 2000-2007. The guy gets a bad rap because he's never made it out the first round and battled injuries for most of his career, but for years put up numbers that rivaled Kobe Bryant's.

Garnett was consistent. But the thing is, Garnett was also consistently on piss poor teams. Tim Duncan was his nemesis for years. It seems that the Spurs always eliminated the T-Wolves in the playoffs.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

How are people here feeling about the new NCAA setup coming our way?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

T-Mac is the modern day Domonique Wilkins.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 11, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

CNN) -- Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum was forced to retire from the fourth game of the NBA finals with an ongoing knee problem, as his team went down 96-89 to the Boston Celtics.

Bynum had fluid drained from his knee just days before the first game of the best-of-seven series last week, but until now the injury has not hampered his performance.

However, the 22-year-old spent almost half of Thursday night's game in Boston on the bench, only managing 12 minutes of action in the second half as L.A.'s East Coast rivals leveled the finals at 2-2.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Pau, on the other hand, is great player now. He's the best big in the game.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 11:38 AM

Friend, do you remember the NBA Draft, 2001?

With the first pick, Michael Jordan takes Kwame Brown.
With the second pick, Los Angeles Clippers take Tyson Chicken.
With the third pick, Atlanta Hawks take Pau Gasol.

Posted by: Friend2All | June 11, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Al??

Al Horton?

or A.I.?

Posted by: 4thFloor

4th, you simple bama....

You know what? I'm not going to explain that one, but just say that I actually meant Al Thorton...

smh...

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

How are people here feeling about the new NCAA setup coming our way?

Posted by: alex35332

It's stupid. How is Colorado playing in the PAC-10? Nebraska to the Big 10 makes sense -- more than Penn State... What got be kind of confused about the whole thing is that I thought the Big 12 actually a little clout.

That conference is about to be decimated.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

OMG Jason Reid posted!!

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 11, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse
_________

KG is a whole lot tougher than T-Mac, though. KG has fought through alot of injuries, especially in recent years. T-Mac seemed to miss huge chunks every season.

Certainly Shaq is in a league his own. If he could have gotten his FT% up to 75% or so and developed a real short consistent jumper, he'd have easily been the best C ever, in my opinion. As is, I think the list of best centers is Wilt-Kareem-Shaq-Hakeem-Moses Malone-Russell (not b/c of my Celtic hatred, but because he wasn't much of an offensive threat considering his company on this list, and I've always read that he was much shorter than he was listed. I don't think he could have competed with Kareem, Shaq, or Hakeem in their primes very well).

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Trade AH for VJax!

Posted by: stevek20147 | June 11, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

713, you're funny, how many rings COMBINED did those guys you listed win??

cuz rus needs someone to carry his 11th, the rest of his fingers, and thumbs are full......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If the Big 10/16 ends up grabbing some big east teams as well its just going to look absurd. A conference that goes from Nebraska to New Jersey or Connecticut... thats 1,500 miles.

I just wish the North East Schools could have gotten their act together and formed a real conference.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

How are people here feeling about the new NCAA setup coming our way?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2010 11:52 AM

For football, I hope they move UMD to the Big 10....Then I can see UMich play live at Chevy Chase Field......They would also be playing Notre DAme (who will eventually join the Big10), OSU, Penn State. Competition will be fierce.

BBall - They would only be missing out on the Duke and UNC games, but then they can start a new rivalry with Mich St if Izzo doesn't leave......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Bean & 713, both are you are crazy homers and will defend the colors to the last breath.

And I don't blame either of you. If my Wizards were relevant I'd be the same way.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

T-Mac is the modern day Domonique Wilkins.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 11, 2010 11:53 AM

I'll take the human highlight film over T-Mac.

Jordan should give that Slam Dunk trophy that he "won" back when the Slam Dunk contest mattered.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

713, you're funny, how many rings COMBINED did those guys you listed win??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse
_______

I realize that you are looking at this through your green glasses again and you can't ever seem to take them off, but I'm actually being objective here. It was a completely different era then - much, much less competition in Russell's day, and he played with several hall of famers all of those years. No way would any team win 11 rings in a row today, no matter what players they have. Even the 1992 Olympic team wouldn't have one that many rings in a row. I give Russell credit but I think his place on the all-time list is exaggerated by his circumstances. In my opinion, if you fast-forward Russell 20-25 years, you get a very good player, but not one that anyone would look at as one of the greatest ever. The other players I mentioned could transcend eras much better than could Russell. Fast forward Wilt and he's still dominant.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

4th
Your dream of UMD joining the Big 10 is about as likely as my dream of Temple getting out of the MAC & A-10 and into a real conference.

Heck I am not even picky about what conference Temple could join. Just give them a rival closer than Buffalo or Miami OH.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2010 12:14 PM

What, you want the terps to go 0-11? Geez. If you like Michigan, you can watch 4 Delaware games (same unis, almost) on Comcast this year. That’s right, my Blue Hens are gonna be on tv FOUR TIMES this year. YES!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

somewhat red, but I mean come on, 11 rings....rus got 11 rings, cats got more rings than fingers..you gotta pay him his props....guy was 6'9, MAYBE, and he changed the game defensively.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

If they break up the ACC then I'll stop following college sports.

What's going on with the schools switching conferences is a byproduct of one thing and one thing only:

The BCS/money

If they had a frickin tournament, this wouldn't be an issue.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

said the man who refuses to acknowledge Russell's accomplishments....

RIIIIIIIIGHTTTTTTTT.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Can they make Haynesworth run routes for two straight days? Or would that allow the NFLPA to file a legitimate complaint with the league office?

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 11, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

If my Wizards were relevant I'd be the same way.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:16 PM

And if my aunt had a crank she would be my uncle.

The last time the Wiz were relevant, Labia James was doing the crab walk in the playoffs.

Maybe Wall and Durantula in 2011 can give us some relevance.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Red,
I think its part of that but also this will eventually lead to some kind of tournament. I see the ACC actually coming out of this better in the end, they will probably lose a few deeper south schools but gain some northern schools. They are in good shape to keep the bigger east coast markets and if they are lucky will ad a few.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

It's just money Red....By the these older people pimping student atheletes....

@Alex - UMD to Big10 (soon to be 16) talk has already started....They need 5 to get to 16. ND, Nebraska, Rutgers, UMD, and random Big12 school....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

All this talk of the Wizards taking Wall……don’t they have 2 first round picks (an extra from the Jamison trade), or is that pick for the 2011 draft? Haven’t heard any hype about them having an extra 1st rounder, even though it would be a high 1st rounder. Maybe they’ll package it with Gilbert for a stud….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

^^^Yes they have the last pick in the 1st round (the cavs pick) plus the 5th pick in the 2nd. Good stuff.

UMD to Big 10. Book it! Big East will only be a BBal league. Va Tech/MIA to the SEC.

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Bean, Russell definitely changed the game defensively. No telling how many blocks he had because they weren't an official stat in his era... but my guess would be: a lot.

Those other guys he named were dominate on both ends. But Russell didn't have to do much on offense with guys like Cousy, Sam Jones, K.C. Jones, etc.. His job was to 'D' ish up, and 'D' ish up he did.

Also dominated the boards. And most of all was a winner.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse
________

I do give him credit - he's acknowledged by basketball experts to be one of the best defensive players ever and he was the leader of 11 championship teams. But I don't think his overall game places him at the top of the list (see my argument above). A 6'9" center who isn't an outstanding offensive threat isn't on my list of best centers ever. The 11 rings is why I put him in the top ten at all.

Now, Larry Bird is a guy who I hate too much to give him any credit....

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Why would MD want to leave the ACC?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

then follows it up with this:

Now, Larry Bird is a guy who I hate too much to give him any credit....

pot...kettle....kettle....pot...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

A-F'ing-men!

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 11, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Wall and Durantula in 2011 can give us some relevance.

Posted by: Diesel44

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see 'Melo here also.

In 2011 Durant couldn't get a max yet, Wall will still be on his rookie contract, hopefully Arenas would be long gone by then... and 'Melo isn't worth a max in my opinion, but he'll be asking for serious stacks.

I think if they want it to happen, it could happen.

Wall
Durant
'Melo

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Why would MD want to leave the ACC?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 12:37 PM

Mo Money Mo Money Mo Money

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

If my Wizards were relevant I'd be the same way.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:16 PM

going back to the red and blue is the first step towards relevance!

John Wall should help, too.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 11, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Larry Bird is a guy who I hate too much to give him any credit

Translation:

I hated his guts, but damn if he wasn't good...

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Can Mike Furrey play FS???

Posted by: HokiesSkins | June 11, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Red-

Melo is on the record as wanting to stay in Denver. I'd take em tho..

However asked: The Wiz have the 1st, 30th, & 35th pick.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Can Mike Furrey play FS???

Posted by: HokiesSkins | June 11, 2010 12:49 PM

No. Furrey won't make the team. He was brought in so that QBs would have someone professional to throw to.

Kareem Moore was an All-American in 2008 @ Nicholls State. I'd like to see him earn the start @ FS.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 11:48 AM

It's interesting you would say this because Pau did as much with the Grizzlies as KG did with the T'Wolves w/o Cassell and Spree. Neither could get out of the first round.

Red, explain your top 5. You're not saying these are the five best players since MJ are you? Because Shaq would have to be on that list.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Can't get youtube at work. Basically the other conferences are promising more money I assume?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Attention all Laron Landry fans. NFL network is re-airing the Skins/saints game this weekend.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

o_e, agreed. They need to go back to the classic red, white, and blue colors. They'll never go back to the 'Bullets', but they could at least go back to the traditional colors and uniforms.

The unis they wore when they won the 'ship in '78 are the best uniforms in NBA history.

Besides the 1st pick, I don't trust Ernie Grunfeld with the rest of the draft. He's made countless blunder in the draft during his time here.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

Oooooh, and what's not to like? Why be critical just because he's a whiny, selfish, overpaid, overweight, (alleged) Deadbeat Daddy with $32 million of Danny's money in his pocket to remind us of the Vinny Era. And he's unwilling to work out with his teammates, switch positions, or even show up to learn a new defense, despite the damage it does to the team paying him.

I'd be more worried if the "Washington Post Editors" were in love with this Load.

Posted by: TheCork | June 11, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

dl, outcome aside, that was a pretty entertaining game to watch.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Jason Reid - learn to expand your vocabulary and improve your reporting. I am sooo tired of your constant insistence that Haynesworth is disgruntled. You are basing that wholly on your interpretation to his response to loaded mediot questions. How about some "fair and balanced" coverage? If you have some actual quotations from Haynesworth that say that he really is disgruntled, without having to resort to interpretation, let us have them in your next. Otherwise, focus on the positive.

Posted by: murrayh | June 11, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

you guys are talking about russell as being only 6'9". that may be true, but the more relevant thing is how much taller he was than everyone else ('cept wilt, i suppose). in his day he was HUGE.

unbelievable that he's the same height as magic johnson....wow...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 11, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Flush the damn toilet!!! That is, if you can find a team dumb enough.

Posted by: DoneWithDan | June 11, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Basically by joining the Big Ten each school would get and additional 20 mil per year. That's the incentive.

It has nothing to do with competition, rivalrys, or tradition.

The ACC should start an ACC Network.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Really? The only similarity is how their teams did in the playoffs.

Please check individual accolades/awards for each of these guys. KG has a ton while playing with Minny. Pau has exactly 0 playing with Memphis.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Red, nevermind my 12:57 post. I didn't see that you already addressed that question.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

713,

'Shaq was a beast, no doubt about that. But Shaq was in a league of his own. Not a single player on the planet could match up with Shaq in his prime in the paint. Shaq crazy skills to go with his strength and size. Shaq and him alone dominated the paint for an entire decade.

I give much props to McGrady because McGrady actually had peers. Shaq had none.

Basically saying that while a very, very good player, Shaq couldn't be compared to anyone. He was arguably the most dominate center in NBA history. No one for a decade could match his size, skill, and strength.

But McGrady had guys you could compare him with. (Kobe, Allen, Iverson, Carter, etc..)Check McGrady's stats from 2000-2001 to 2007-2008. He was as good as anyone in the league -- Kobe included.

I seen dude drop FIDDY-SIX on the Wizards like nothing live and up close.

The knock on McGrady is that he never made it out of the first round and that he was oft-injured.

People have forgotten how really good McGrady was because he's played a total of 65 games the last three seasons.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

dl, outcome aside, that was a pretty entertaining game to watch.....
Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 1:04 PM

It was a great game….that’s why they are showing it again, I assume. Best thing about it is that Suisham kicked himself out of town.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

just answered, lh, but meant to address it to you and not 713...

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

NFL network is re-airing the Skins/saints game this weekend.

Posted by: dlhaze1

That game was the most I've been into a Redskins game the last few years. I have a a lot of friends that are Saints fans (give you a guess as to the percentage of them that are females..)

So you had that element, the fact that Reggie Bush is the most overrated piece of garbage in my memory, AND the fact they were playing the squadron of squadrons... I was very anti-Saints that day. Anti-New Oreleans in general... kinda embarrassed about some of the stuff I was saying about the city. For the first time in a long time I was a crazy fanatic that day... When the Redskins were up I felt like I was high. I thought bamas were about to do the unthinkable.

Now I understand why I'm not that way anymore. No way you can root for the Redskins and exert that much energy every Sunday. You'll be dead before 45.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Really? The only similarity is how their teams did in the playoffs.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 1:16 PM

Isn't that what I said or did you miss that? KG was a beast (I don't deny that) but he never led a team any farther than Gasol when he had no real help. BTW, Pau was NBA ROY in '02. So that's one.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

then follows it up with this:

Now, Larry Bird is a guy who I hate too much to give him any credit....

pot...kettle....kettle....pot...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse
________

The difference is (1) my Larry Bird remark was an offhand comment not relevant to the discussion, (2) I freely admit that my anti-Bird bias is due to watching 10 years of Lakers-Celtics battles, and (3) you won't admit it when your judgment's clouded.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1
Posted by: TheCork | June 11, 2010 1:02 PM

I am usually very supportive of the writers up here, but other than Reid and Lacanfora stating that people “with knowledge of the situation” say he is disgruntled, there is NOTHING TO SUPPORT THIS. And JRied has been beating this drum more than anything I have ever seen up here. If he ends up “right” about all of this, I will give him all of the credit in the world. There is no valid proof that Shanny wants to trade him. In fact, he has said on record that he looks forward to getting him in camp and looks forward to him being a difference maker on the field. And what are Haynesworth’s ACTUAL quotes? Wants to train by himself to get into better shape than he was last year, and that he will play wherever his coaches tell him to. And that he will be there for any and all mandatory functions.

You may not like the guy and think he’s overpaid, but I am looking forward to him bustin heads this year for the Washington Redskins. Until he shows up out of shape and pouts and underperforms, I am going to assume that he is still one of the best DL’s in football. I hope you aren’t too hung up on Donovan Mcnabb, because guess what…..next year if he is still a Redskin he is going to be training in AZ, away from Redskins park, and may end up bringing other Skins out there to train with him. The sky will be falling 10 times faster when it’s our starting QB who is missing VOLUNTARY workouts. And I guess that they aren’t allowed to sign ANY MORE players this offseason. Because they haven’t been to all of the voluntary stuff yet either. And that’s just not acceptable.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Larry Bird is a guy who I hate too much to give him any credit

Translation:

I hated his guts, but damn if he wasn't good...

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse
_________

Touche.....

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

BORING! Same old, same old diatribe.
This is the worst column in football.

Posted by: bg1fan | June 11, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I was responding specifically to the statement "Pau did as much with the Grizzlies as KG did with the T'Wolves w/o Cassell and Spree."

That's only true if you measure by the success of their respective teams. Individually, Pau's accomplishments with Memphis are no where near what KG did in Minny.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

bg1fan;

this is not a column

carry on

Posted by: Zeebs1 | June 11, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

An Ode to a Drama Queen.

Dude may or may not show.

Even if he does show, he may not be able to participate.

Could be too fat.

Too slow,

and more than likely --

Too much out of the know.

Even if he participates in some limited way, he'll probably be more of a hinderance than a help to the rest of the team.

Don't want tio play this position

Or that scheme.

And that's not discounting a very real possibility the Dude will "suffer" a fake/feigned injury in the first series or two.

$42 million guaranteed and still dissatisfied...

and more elusive than Howard Hughes.

Posted by: Vic1 | June 11, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

POSTED BY Dlhaze1

This team was badly damaged by special treatment for its siuperstars in the recent past. Now Haynesworth wants the same thing.

He is paid TONS more than his team mates who've been working and sweating al allong, and now he stroles in, behind the power curve, PO'ed a having to switch positions..

Will he get sympathy froM Carter, Alexander, Wilson, Mac Jarmon who are now LBs, or the rest of the DLINE who are playing different schemes this year? And SHOW UP to learn them?

Or will they see him as pampered, overpaid, selfish and greedy? Doesn't take much to wreck a locker room, no matter how much talent you have,.

Will he know the defense? Or will he be selfish and do what he wants, wrecking the system. Team, game. Physically and psychologically.

--THE CORK

DLHAZE1

And just how many Superbowls has Donovan won so far?

Team game.

Posted by: TheCork | June 11, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"Trade AH for VJax!"

This is an idea we offered three weeks ago.

Thing is, Jackson is P Rivers' 'go-to' guy, and on the eve of a Super Bowl run, I doubt the chargers would be willing to alter their team chemistry by adding AH and substracting V Jax.

But skins' fan must feel robbed when it comes to the wide out position as the coveted A Boldin, B Marshall, and S Holmes have all been moved.

And anyone of those guys playing across S Moss and C Cooley would provide more GLEE! than a FOX t.v. show.

The best thing that could happen now is that AH comes in, dominates, and increases his trade value next Spring.

And by that point, we'd get supreme value for the 'disguntled veteren defensive tackle'.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | June 11, 2010 2:02 PM

The style of that post looks, well, very familiar.

Short, direct sentences that work in rhythm.

Subtle alliteration.

Snarky come-ons.

Off-putting cultural references.

Imitation is the soul of flattery.

Keep it up, and folks will think you 'wake and bake'.

Whateva that is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Will he (Albert) know the defense?

--THE CORK

Is there an easier position to learn? Its kinda like this. Line up here and when the ball is snapped, go forward. Not backwards. Forward.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

bg1fan

"This is the worst column in football."

We encourage all critics, pundits, and work-shirking bloggas to add to the mix of knowledge, buffoonery, and zany commentary that is the life blood of this forum.

Otherwise, complaining about what you get for free makes up as ungrateful as the welfare recepient who hates the government cheese.

And we all know that stuff is what gives you the worst colon in more than just football.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"Will he (Albert) know the defense?"

a few weeks ago someone, forgive me i forget who, wrote one of my favorite lines about learning the system and so forth:

sure, there are things to learn, but, it's not rocket surgery. hahaha

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 11, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Is there an easier position to learn?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2010 2:15 PM

placekicker.

see the goal posts?

put the ball in there, please.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 11, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Moats has been cut from the Texans. He worked with K-Shan.

Thoughts???

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I only wake and bake on Sundays and Mondays.

The dank I got be too good to blaze up before you go to work. Unless you work in the backroom by yourself somewhere.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm getting grey hair in my mid twenties. I fully blame Jim Zorn, Jason Campbell and Shaun Shank'em

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Moats has been cut from the Texans. He worked with K-Shan.

Thoughts???

Posted by: iH8dallas

They need a receiving back, I think that's why they're interested in Westbrook.

If Moats can catch passes out the backfield, then yeah, they're probably considering him.

Might go with him over Westbrook at this point.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Is there an easier position to learn?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2010 2:15 PM

face down, a$$ up?

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Is there an easier position to learn?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2010 2:15 PM

face down, a$$ up?

Posted by: Original_etrod

I think that's more of an "assume the position" as opposed to "learn the position"...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 2:15 PM

convergent optimization and/or cultural evolution from borrowed influences?

perhaps a little of both.

moe, you're feeling your oats lately, as almost always... not sure what (if anything) that has to do with mrs moe.

if you're still going to a movie tonight with the aforementioned better half, may I also suggest setting the mood with a fine artisan steak dinner at Charlie Palmer?

cheers, enjoy, carry on, and such.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 11, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan seems to be much more comfortable in Mike and Kyle Shanahan’s new offense than he was in Jim Zorn’s. As it’s unlikely that McNabb will see more than token playing time during the preseason, Brennan should get his chance to show if that comfort translates into consistent play against other teams. Given Grossman’s familiarity with Kyle Shanahan’s offense, it’s unlikely that Brennan will move past him into the primary backup role, but he could make his case for 2011 and beyond.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | June 11, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I think Shanny should make AH attend all 3 days of the mandatory camp. Let the guys who have been there for OTA's have the day off. Make him run sprints, hit the sled and watch film with Haslett to get caught up.

Posted by: unquiltom | June 11, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 2:30 PM

No blame for the mastermind, Snyderatto? Who hired Zorn? Who filled out the roster and negleced to O-line until 40% of the aging starters suffered career-ending injuries?

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have any luck streaming World Cup today?

tvbunch.com worked for a while... not now.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see this comment posted here, so I apologize if this has already been offered...

Anyway, it led to this comment:

DeAngelo Hall on a former teammate and his current teammates:

"That's no knock to Jason; I love him to death. You never knew which one you would get. Sometimes [he'd] look great and you're like, well hell this kid can play; he'll eventually be a player. Then sometimes you were like, God damn; I know we didn't get the best protection but hell, you could have gotten that out of there."

When asked if Campbell had the pieces around him to compete, Hall said: "He definitely didn't have the best pieces around him. Donovan ain't got the best pieces around him either. We drafted an offensive taackle, but the team is relatively the same. We have more running backs. But, yeah, I mean I don't think nobody who watched any game last season felt like we had the best team or the best producte on the field. It's a process. We have guys healthy now. During the season we might be sayign the same thing in Week 10, 'Donovan ain't got the right weapons.' We're a little healthy now so it's easy to say we're better than last year. But, yeah, Jason didn't have a lot of help at all. You guys saw it. He'd drop back three steps and get sacked. Anytime that happens that's tough."

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

lawd, ih8, look what you done did...

lol.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

This is an idea we offered three weeks ago.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 2:09 PM

I'll take that as a no. Although, some might say their chemistry needs a little altering ;)

Posted by: stevek20147 | June 11, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KurtShanaman | June 11, 2010 3:11 PM

I don't understand why people continue to get giddy about Colt Brennan... How good can he really be?? He couldn't beat out Jason Campbell or Collins his first two years. Based on what I've read, Rex Grossman is having a hard time in OTA's. If Colt can't muscle out Rex from the second string spot, then there is no way this kid will be more than a backup in this league. Unless the coaches are noticing something they aren't telling us, the likelyhood that Colt is anything more than a 6th round backup is low

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | June 11, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Coach Shanahan ought to consider keeping the third day for Haynesworth (and Haynesworh, alone). It's hard to believe you can even begin to spell his name without using an "I". It would seem that he could be required to attend if the NFL policy is for these three days to be a mandatory camp. I'm sure there would be plenty for him to catch up on. He wouldn't much like it; but at least they could fine him if he didn't show up. Heck, if he did show up, he might even learn something.

Posted by: drcethompson | June 11, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Alan, those comments from DeAngelo Hall are fair and partial and most of all they're on point.

Really don't get the hate for the guy. No he isn't a shut down corner, but he gets the job done. And when he gives his insight it's always fair.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Red! If a hired hit-man tried to take you out, would you fully blame the hit-man? Wouldn't you harbor even a LITTLE ill-will against the bastard who hired him?

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rodgers gives better insight.

just sayin

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"Carlos Rodgers gives better insight."

Can he actually hold onto a thought? That's a start.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

tvbunch is back!

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 11, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why people continue to get giddy about Colt Brennan
Posted by: Rashad8o4

This is why we talk about Colt Brennan-this from Mr Tandler-
After 10 months on a roller coaster, Colt Brennan is back. He again dons the number he wore during his record-setting career at Hawaii, and he has freedom to do what works for him when he’s passing. Even though he still will have to compete hard to get a spot on the final roster, Brennan says that the pressure is off and he is having fun again. He has been playing well in practice with some accurate passing and completions with several impressive plays.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | June 11, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Once training camp started last year, however, things started to go downhill. Brennan had difficulties molding his footwork and his throwing motion to fit what coach Jim Zorn wanted to see. Those issues started during his rookie 2008 season, and they continued to be a source of frustration.

It did not appear that the hiring of Mike as Zorn’s replacement was a positive development for Brennan. The word was the new head coach wanted to develop his own quarterback. Even after the team traded for Donovan McNabb and signed Rex Grossman as a free agent, the word was that he was sure to draft a late-round quarterback to develop as McNabb’s eventual replacement. Such a development surely would end Brennan’s time with the Redskins.

But the draft came and went, and the Redskins did not select a quarterback. As had been expected when they acquired McNabb, leaving Brennan as one of four quarterbacks on the roster.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | June 11, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It appears that Brennan has the inside track to be the third quarterback this season. He’s not taking it for granted, however.

“It's always a competition,” Brennan said after Saturday’s mini-camp. “That's something that will never change no matter what.”

At this point, his competition is Richard Bartel, who signed with the Redskins late last season. Like Brennan, he has no NFL experience. It is likely that Bartel will be released. Most teams take four quarterbacks into training camp.

While coach has said that all jobs are up for grabs, Brennan realizes that the top job on the quarterback depth chart is pretty well set in stone. McNabb was brought in to be the starter. Brennan is not worried about the depth chart; his immediate goal is to show the coaches that he is a worthwhile development project.

“My position right now is to show the coaches what I'm all about,” Brennan said. “My hope is to get them to say, ‘Hey, look at this young kid. Let's put some time into him.’ Hopefully, I can convince them that I can be something down the road.”

Brennan is a big fan of the offense that Kyle and Mike's are installing. “It’s been awesome; Kyle has a great system,” he said. “I have a lot more confidence, and I’m really excited about the whole opportunity.”

One of the reasons why he is enjoying himself is that his mechanics are not under a microscope as they were last year.

“They said ‘We want you to be you,’” Brennan said. “I get to go back to being myself, which is really exciting.”

Brennan believes that the harping on his footwork and on his release hindered his development the past two years. It’s different now.

“I've had a lot of freedom. I was thinking a lot in the last two years while trying to do what I was asked to do,” he said.

“They are going to coach up decision-making, and they worked a lot on moving around in the pocket,” Brennan said. “But when it comes to the mechanics of dropping back and throwing, they let me do what's comfortable. They've already made me feel better and a lot more confident out here. It's been a lot of fun so far.”

Brennan is willing to be patient. He wants to progress each week, have the offense down pat by the time training camp starts and then show the coaches what he can do.

“I want to be confident walking into the preseason and keep conveying to the coaches that there's a future for me, not real soon, but down the road,” he said.

When Collins was released in early March, the jersey number 15 became available. Even if McNabb had not come on board to claim Brennan’s old number five, Brennan would have switched to the number that became legendary in Hawaii as he passed the Warriors to great success.

“Right now I'm really excited about the opportunity put in front of me,” Brennan said. “I'm excited about this offense. I'm having a ton of fun running it. I get to be me again. I got my number back. I'm really excited about the whole thing.”

Posted by: KurtShanaman | June 11, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

'cause Colt is the only Redskin whose shown a spark, besides Sleepy Davis anyway.

It would be nice if he could do it for more than one pre-season game.

Bottom line, though: Until this team gets better on more than a couple fronts there's not going to be anything to get giddy about 'cept the cheerleaders.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 11, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Snyder didn't miss a 23 yd field goal against NO in the final 2 minutes to put us up 2 scores and ice the game. Snyder didn't call swinging gate TWICE against the Giants. Snyder doesn't hold the ball for 15 minutes before throwing it. So no Snyder did not cause the salt and peppering of my beautiful hair.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

hahahaha -- ppstr8, of all the people you had to name Carlos Rogers.... Now we can debate who's more insightful as well...

Al, you got it, man... just bs'n ya...

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Al, you got it, man... just bs'n ya...

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

That was the most retarded debate I've ever seen up here; and it lasted like 3 days.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

********************

For a long time, I felt that Zorn wasn't merely a bad HC, but not a good QB coach, either. Brennan's comments are consistent with that. Changing mechanics is tricky. I think you can change footwork, but throwing motion is much more challenging to change.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I trust Shanahan to coach up a QB much more than my arch nemesis Jim Zorn.

If you throw for mad NCAA passing records then why does your technique need refining?

People don't mess with Shawn Marion's ugly jumpshot.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

LOL, I'm pretty sure it was covered sometime in that 72hr marathon debate.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Agree with DHall's comments.

What shouldn't be forgotten, is that this team was designed to win with defense. In 2008, we had the #4 defense in yards allowed. Then we added Haynesworth and Orakpo -- and took every draft pick but the last on defense. And DHall was re-signed for big $$.

The offense in 2009 was, for lack of a better word, neglected.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 3:55 PM

Yeah, the goats may change with time... Turner (Cowpie's hero), Robiskie, Schottenheimer (best winning percentage at the time among active coaches with at least 100 wins), Spurrier (Fun-n-Gun), Gibbs (Two Timeouts in Row), Zorn (Swinging Gate), Shanahan... Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Tony Banks, Shane Matthews, Patrick Ramsey, Danny Wuerffel, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Donovan McNabb...

But there has been a lot of consistency over Snyder's tenure:

2009 4 12 0 4th
2008 8 8 0 4th
2007 9 7 0 3rd
2006 5 11 0 4th
2005 10 6 0 2nd
2004 6 10 0 2nd
2003 5 11 0 3rd
2002 7 9 0 3rd
2001 8 8 0 2nd
2000 8 8 0 3rd

I guess I just tend to take a longer view. Maybe your style of short term thinking is better for the old hair follicles.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 3:55 PM

Yeah, the goats may change periodically... Turner (Cowpie's hero), Robiskie, Schottenheimer (best winning percentage at the time among active coaches with at least 100 wins), Spurrier (Fun-n-Gun), Gibbs (Two Timeouts in Row), Zorn (Swinging Gate), Shanahan... Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Tony Banks, Shane Matthews, Patrick Ramsey, Danny Wuerffel, Tim Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Jason Campbell, Donovan McNabb...

But throw out the best year and the worst year, and there has been a remarkable consistency over Snyder's tenure:

2009 4 12 0 4th
2008 8 8 0 4th
2007 9 7 0 3rd
2006 5 11 0 4th
2005 10 6 0 2nd
2004 6 10 0 2nd
2003 5 11 0 3rd
2002 7 9 0 3rd
2001 8 8 0 2nd
2000 8 8 0 3rd

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post... "moveable type" error had me fooled.

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

We did come in 1st in 1999 Alan

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

ehh inspite of everything that's been said in that article about Colt, I still think he would have atleast grasped the 2nd string spot by now (3rd year) if he was so full of talent and intangibles. I think the skins not picking a QB in this draft doesn't necessarily means that Colt was so good they didn't feel the need to. The skins didn't have many draft choices to begin with and a third string QB is not really a "need" when you have a hall of famer (Mcnab) and a presumably adequate backup in Rex. On top of that, they still had Jason Campbell under contrac so drafting another QB when we have so many other hole would have been a waste.

In the end, I am pretty sure the FO is going to draft a qb next year. And, as soon as that occurs, Colt will no longer have that "flair" and the new freshly highly drafted young'n will recieve all the attention (behind Mcnab of course).

But to be honest, the real question this summer is 1) Will Mcnab transform the offense 2) AH Saga 3) Offensive Line 4) Recievers 5) Transition to 3-4 6)Free Safety etc... in that order of importance in my opinion... and colt is way down the list of priorities

Posted by: Rashad8o4 | June 11, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Alan, do you consider Ted Leonsis a good or poor owner?

The Caps have been both terrible and good under his ownership. And if it wasn't for some luck in landing Ovie, they likely would have remained terrible.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I tried...
I tried to let the hype wash over me...
I tried once again to get into Soccer.
Then after 6 or 7 HOURs and a 1-1, 0-0 result???
Oh wait for the diatribes about the essence of the sport and scoring is not important, Blah, blah, blah.
The rest of the world can have it.
They try to jam it down our throat like the Metric System... OR... The Geneva Convention!!
Now I know why the World Cup is once every 4 years, cause thats about how often they score!!!!
Good Grief...

Posted by: Club320 | June 11, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Landing Ovie definitely involved some luck, and he obviously makes them much better than they would have been without him. But the team's performances in the games that No. 8 didn't play in last season, the presence of other good, young players like Backstrom and Semin, and the probability that, had they not drafted Ovie, they would have gotten some other highly-touted player in his place, suggest that they would have been far from "terrible" had they not acquired "The
Great 8."

Posted by: rbpalmer | June 11, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

We did come in 1st in 1999 Alan

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

This was the 1st season after Snyder bought the team and he didn't have time to put his stamp on the team.

The evidence to date shows that he has been unsuccessful as an owner. All we can do is hope that he's figured it out.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 11, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

YOO MRMOE!!!

I AGREE WITH THAT TRADE!!!!

CHARGERS JUST SIGNED REED FROM BUFFALO TOO, maybe we throw in moss or kelly to get VJAX!!!

ANYONE KNOW IF WE HAVE INTREST IN ATOGWE???

I SAW A SHANNY QUOTE SAYING BASICALLY NO COMMENT BUT I THINK AT THAT TIME THE GUY WASN'T TECHNICALLY AN URFA.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 11, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Okok we alll know 92 is a big fatty!!!
The bad part is we need that fatty
Could you imagine..... carter, daniels, maake, buttersworth n rak all rushin the passer on the same play??????
We could get some pressure with that line up

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 11, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Next yrs draft focus, o line, fs/cb, rb/wr .

We need playmakers at all three of these positions

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 11, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Next yrs draft focus, o line, fs/cb, rb/wr .

We need playmakers at all three of these positions

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | June 11, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@ iH8dallas | June 11, 2010 4:29 PM

One year is not a trend, my friend. The Raiders went to a Super Bowl in 2002.

@ PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 4:41 PM

I don't have enough background on Leonsis to make a judgement, but the Skins ownership is clearly dysfunctional. Unless there are a lot of extenuating circumstances (death, illness, etc.), you don't hire 6 head coaches within a 10 year span unless there's dysfunction in the owner's box.

Is Al Davis a good owner? People like to talk about crazy Al and how dysfunctional the Raiders ownership is, but they actually went to a Super Bowl in 2002. Does that mean they're any less dysfunctional now?

Posted by: Alan4 | June 11, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Can Mike Furrey play FS???

Posted by: HokiesSkins | June 11, 2010 12:49 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 12:57 PM

Wow. Please raise your hand if you thought I was serious and I will come by and hit you on the head with a tack hammer.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | June 11, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

This is not really that big a deal, but here's some Redskins news courtesy of PFT:

"Redskins sign a trio of draft picks
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 11, 2010 5:20 PM ET
With only one pick in the top 100, the Redskins hope they hit upon some late-round sleepers in the 2010 draft.

On Friday, they hammered out agreements with three of them. Fullback Dennis Morris, and tackle Selvish Capers, and center Erik Cook are officially signed.

Capers is a product of West Virginia University, so look for an inordinate amount of posts about him in the future."

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 11, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HokiesSkins | June 11, 2010 5:23 PM

Wow, that's comedy gold... Asking if a guy who played both DB and WR in this league could play FS.

Now you're going to imitate Gallagher by saying that you're going to hit someone in the melon with a hammer.

You know you can make your numerous weak attempts to be funny and that doesn't make you a comedian but when you sucked that one penis in high school that made you a C0cksucker.

Who's your Hokie now?

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 11, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Beep, beep.

Posted by: wireman65 | June 11, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

AH will show up overweight, out of shape and not respected by any of his teammates....
though they may leave it unspoken.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 11, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rashad8o4

That article was written by a source that is close to the skins, Rich Tandler and I think he knows what he is talking about.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | June 11, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

McNabb always participaated in voluntary OTAs. There's about 6 weeks between the last OTA and TC. That's when McNabb would invite the players out to Arizona.

The guys would train and practice during the day. And the wives and kids would go to amusement parks, shopping, sightseeing, etc. Then in the evening everybody would sit down together for dinner.

Posted by: McWest1 | June 12, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why he'd drop a mandatory minicamp day? It's only three days long, and it's the only time you get to have the entire team together.

If you wanted to give the players a day off, why wouldn't you just cancel the voluntary OTA's on Monday or Tuesday?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like a very strange decision to eliminate 1/3rd of the minicamp time ... especially when you have a couple of players that haven't been reporting to the OTA's and a new system / coaching staff you're trying to install.

Posted by: FootballCardSnatcher | June 14, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

RECEIVERS!..We've trying to replace Monk and Clark for years. Thomas and Kelly can say all they want to, but I'm not feeling them at all. Training Camp, and Preseason, they better show improvement, but I would rather have T.O.'s number preset on my phone.

Posted by: WARPATH85 | June 15, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse