Mike Williams Keeps 'Chopping' Weight Down

(updated 6:22 p.m.)

Big Mike Williams weighed in this week at 339 pounds, which means he has lost 111 pounds in six months.

Regardless of what he does on the field this season for the Redskins, that's some impressive work right there.

"We're just chopping it on down, and it's easy to do it in this kind of weather," said Williams, who did not participate in Tuesday's afternoon practice because of a sprained ankle. "In six months, yeah, man, I guess that's pretty good."

Williams has made major strides in his comeback attempt after last playing in a regular-season game in 2005, and now is not the time to rest, he said.

"It's something you've got to navigate through," Williams said of his injury. I mean, really, some days are just better than others. It's a situational thing we're you just have to feel your way through it each day.

"We go out there and do as much as we can, go back up there to the training room and heal it up as much as we can and push it again. Sooner or later, it'll break. Once you get some time to rest it'll heal. You just need to let it settle down, but not now."

Redskins React to Strasburg Signing

You want to know what Smoot, Randle El, Hall, Moss and Campbell think about the newest "National?" Dan Steinberg has that information.

By Jason Reid  |  August 18, 2009; 12:05 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taking the Measure of New Pass-Protection Rules
Next: Smoot's Like a Rookie Again

Comments

BMW first

Posted by: eghblaw | August 18, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Alright, that's enough weight loss for BMW. At some point, it's about getting that strength back.

Posted by: psps23 | August 18, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

WHAT ABOUT HIS BLOCKING. PASS BLOCKING INPARTICULALY??? PUFF PIECE TIME CLOCK IS OVA FOR THIS DUDE.....

(CAPS rant off)

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

psp agreed, perhaps the team is thinking of putting him on the PUP list for the first 6 games....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If BMW can just lose another 120 lbs, I think we might just have our answer at the #2 receiver spot.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

And if it's between Favre and Rosenfels for being the guy to hand it off to Peterson/Taylor and throw a few deep routes per game, I'm taking Favre 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Posted by: psps23 | August 18, 2009 12:13 PM

5 years ago, I'd agree. With Favre turning 40 it's not as cut and dry as you'd think. And ESPN is reporting he's got a tear in his rotator cuff that the Vikes are essentially ignoring. I smell disaster here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Too bad he isn't eligible for the practice squad. That might have been the ideal place for him this year. I always thought that it would be a long shot for him to make the team, much less make a meaningful contribution this year, after his years away from the game and his losing so much weight over such a short period of time. But after more time to gain strength and reacclimate himself to life in the NFL, who knows . . . .

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 18, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Devin Thomas could even gain 100 lbs and move over to RT. Just have him move into the back room of Five Guys for the rest of the preseason, order him a bigger jersey, and voila! Quick feet + big body = Championship!

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

A couple of things about the Favre to Vikes deal.

1. Why did they fart around so much with this? Just so he would not have to report to camp? He's obviously lost time getting acquainted with the O.
2. The Vikes actually have $12 M cap space this late in the day? That's a lot. Unless they have some way of opening up space by dropping roster.

Posted by: TubularBells | August 18, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

PUP him now and bring in one more tackle, it looks like to the coaches Rhino has shown enough to be counted on and Bridges too as guards, but we have got to get another freaking legitimate tackle before the season starts.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I have consumed many Hurricanes at Pat O'Brien's. A friend lives in New Orleans and, no matter how many times I've been there and how many times they've upset my tum, I still want one first thing when I arrive.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 18, 2009

Been a long time since I was in New Orleans. Was there once a few days after a Super Bowl had been played, some guy gets up and yells, 'c'mon Broncos' -- like 2 days AFTER the game had eneded.

The piano bar is bunch of fun at Pat O'Brien's. But for serious, try the pecan pie with ice cream around the corner at The Gumbo Shop restaurant. Unreal how good it is.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm thrilled about Favre signing with the Vikes, cause that kills another team's chances in the NFC. Does anyone seriously think thats a playoff team?

I feel bad for AP; his talents are just going to waste there. They shoudl trade him for a top of the line QB/WR after this year. Im pretty sure almost anyone could run well behind that line.

And seriously, Favre? The guy has to have some issues.... can't take it that the attention is not always on him (Vick)...yeah hell have a great moment or two this year, but hell end up with 12 TDs and 25 INTs and the Vikes will go 7-9.

Not to mention... how would you feel if Sammy Baugh came out of retirement to play for the Giants?

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 18, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

This isn't Weight Watchers, this is Football. If he wants to go do an add campaign for Slim Fast, then great. That aside, I need to know this Fatty McDraft-Bust can actually block somebody well enough that this offense might actually be average enough to win some games. Otherwise, for all I care this fat clown can go back to eating Cheetos on the couch and slowly wasting away the rest of his potential and the last of his green.

Posted by: ParticipatoryDemocracyNow | August 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11

Amazed, very very very very amazed

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Zcezce - not currently, mind you...

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 18, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ParticipatoryDemocracyNow

sort of casting your vote, eh Democracy?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Favre just got an Email from Mike Vick saying: "Thanks Dude, for grabbing the spotlight."

NEW ITEM: Mike WIlliams loses 111 pounds. National Enquirer reporting Kirstie Alley has only four years to live. Coincidence? I don't THINK so.

Posted by: TheCork | August 18, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

DOES ANYONE HAVE MARTY S. EMAIL ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"Williams has continued to take reps in practice despite the pain of an abdominal strain he aggravated in last week's 23-0 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. He plans to practice for the remainder of the week and play Saturday against the Pittsburgh Steelers at FedEx Field."

Dude must have a high tolerance level for pain what with being wracked with hunger pangs and abdominal strains. I guess with all that weight loss around his waist the muscles there had a hard time reorienting themselves and some of them couldn't take the increased stress.

Posted by: TubularBells | August 18, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I do think the Vikes are a playoff team with Favre. In fact, I liked their chances without Favre, and I think we can all agree (if healthy) he's a better option than Rosenfels or Jackson. I keeping hearing a big media buzz about how the Eagles are now a real contender because they added Vick. I think the Farve signing does a lot more for the 2009 Vikings than Vick does for the 2009 Eagles. Favre's certainly spent a lot less time away from the game. My prediction: Vikings make the playoffs, Eagles don't.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Had time in Boston to break bread with a cousin and her son before trip back to Left Coast last nite. (First time for me in Boston “proper” in years) Ate at North End joint called “Prezzo” Trout was excellent...

Hey what the hell happened to the Artery? It’s like gone and replaced by some park with a fruity looking bridge at one end. What, did someone spend $15 billion taxpayer dollars and build a tunnel or something?

You read about the Patriots for a week or so and you grow afraid, very very afraid. But I take it Maroney is a bust,

Posted by: TheCork | August 18, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

sort of casting your vote, eh Democracy?

Posted by: zcezcest1

Yeah, I'm just pissed because I was stupid enough to hope he might make a contribution this season and I feel like if this team's O-line would hold up they could be a threat but there's o many "ifs" on this team's O-ffense right now that its gonna take a lot of guys stepping their games up to go anywhere this season. Still wanna hope, but its easy to become jaded with this team. On the other hand, I feel like if Heyer has a decent season, it will make a huge difference. I sure wish they would sign another right tackle though.

Posted by: ParticipatoryDemocracyNow | August 18, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"I felt good, I still feel like I wasn't shooting my gun as fast I can," Wilson said. "There was some situations that I was in that I hadn't seen before in practice and that'll all come with time and come with practice and getting accustomed to playing a position. Even in practice I'm kind of breaking and shooting faster because I've seen it before, so we're just getting better. Every rep counts, even when I'm not in, you get that mental rep and this week you should see a lot more out of me."--RI, TODAY

Is this guy a linebacker or writing a new version of the Kama Sutra?

Posted by: TheCork | August 18, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

cork, you should have called or written, we could have gotten together....

you can't go wrong with just about any place in the n.end....

Maroney is gonna be a bust....just can't stay healthy, nor be a factor for that team....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it, but I guess it turns out that Marion Barber III, despite the lack of pub, was the better U of Minn RB prospect. Funny how those college player evaluations are such an imprecise science. Can't measure durability or heart.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

some fell for the Mike Williams 'hype' -- believing he could contribute right away. I wasn't one of them. He needs to relearn his body, relearn the position and so forth. I'm glad for the guy and he's actually exceeded my expectations.

The more he plays, the more likely he contributes at some point, But realistically, this was always more than a one year project.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

cork, you should have called or written, we could have gotten together....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 12:45 PM

Same here, Cork! If you ever get to DC, let me know. I'd love for you to take me out and buy me an expensive dinner. Lobster 'til we drop-ster! Brain food!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

BMW has always been less a football project than some kind of wacky biology experiment. It would have been a minor miracle for him to drop all that weight AND recapture the mediocrity he evinced when he last played in the league.

The mediocrity will come... one thing at a time...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 18, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

AHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOO

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 18, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!! MARTY S. IS ON DANNY PLANE HEADING TO DC.

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to order my # 71 jersey with "Fatty McDraft-Bust" on the back. I hear it comes with a free bag of Cheetos.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 18, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

sween gets the prize for dumbest question of the day.....email address perhaps?

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 11:04 AM

Wait, there's a prize? There is an INCENTIVE for idiocy up here? That explains so much. And here I was giving it away for free.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:14 PM

LOL. ROFLMAO. Nobody does it better, sween. Whatcha gonna do with your prize?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

#1 reason why Favre to vikings is a potentially bad deal. If this works out and the Vikes make the playoffs or Superbowl can we all agree that Danny will be trying to find any aging QB he can next year to replace JC no matter how he does.

Jeff George anyone

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 18, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

and now I'm only mostly screwed and only probably going to lose my job because of the offensive line."

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 11:05 AM |

Really? He inherited the OL coach and the personnel (or lack of it as the case may be) is in the hands of Cerrato so the dude is going to lose his job over something he had 0 control over? How is that?

Posted by: TubularBells | August 18, 2009 11:32 AM

Because The Owner is in the "football business" (emphasis on business, de-emphasis on football). So like the super genii up here, lack of production by the offense gets naturally attributed to bad play calling, a poorly designed offense, and an mediocre QB. Why would you even THINK that having an effective offensive line has anything to do with Zorn's job tenure. Offensive linemen don't sell jerseys. [Maybe I should mention that I'm being sarcastic.]

Also, on Mike Williams ... time to STOP dropping weight and START building more muscle mass.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

After watching the Giants game last night, the 'Skins can give up any hope of winning this division. That team has so much more continuity from the top down, along with talent at every position on the field, maybe the Eagles are the only team to challenge the Giants. Their running backs, o-line, defense, and attitude are apparent; I still say JC is just as good, if not better than Eli Manning. Put JC on that team, and he flourishes.
NFC East:
1) G-men; 2) Iggles 3) cowGirls; 4) 'Skins
That 'Vick thing' in Philly is a wise wildcard, but I like the Giants running game late in the year vs. Reid's tendency to become pass-happy that time of year. No team with Wade Phillips as head coach scares me, yet this year Zorn's riding the hotseat.
Hell, I'd take Russ Grimm next year, mostly because he'd keep Jason Campbell.

Posted by: pdfordiii | August 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:20 PM

"I may not be a doctor but I play one on Redskins Insider."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"After watching the Giants game last night".....by all means, please go find a giants blog to post on...as a giants fan, wouldn't that make more sense...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

From last night (when the dcsweenettes were getting ready for bed) ...
__________

If the Skins try to replace Campbell after this season, its going to be in free agency, not the draft.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:13 PM |

Out of curiosity, who is the FA QB you had in mind? Quinn/Anderson, Young, Simms, Grossman, Leinhart, Garcia, Culpepper, Pennington, Leftwich? You hardly ever see a good FA QB. Just about all the big time QBs were drafted by the team they are on. Occasionaly you will get a Cutler/Brees situation. But not very often. If the Skins are lucky/awful they could end up drafting a Sam Bradford and then finding some fill-in QB (mebbe a FA) to start until the heir apparent is ready.

Posted by: MrRed | August 17, 2009 6:38 PM

Fair point. Phillip Rivers is UFA this season, but generally I agree with the point. [I don't see them trading for a one/two year starter while waiting on grooming a first round QB]. More likely a trade for a veteran starter ... unless Jason Campbell does light it up and the Skins either (1) win the Division or (2) make it past the wild card game if not. In that case, Zorn returns and, depending on the status of the CBA negotiations, maybe Jason Campbell gets re-signed too.

Scenario B would be that (1) Jason gets hurt (2) Collins either didn't make the roster or gets hurt, and (3) either Brennan or Daniels turns out to be a game speed stud in relief.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"I may not be a doctor but I play one on Redskins Insider."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 1:23 PM

If you're going to start calling people out on credentials, do I need to remind you that Dr. Pepper has made billions and, to my knowledge, did not attend an accredited medical school, much less a carbonated beverage academy?

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:20 PM

"I may not be a doctor but I play one on Redskins Insider."

Posted by: talent_evaluator

When your body undergoes such major changes as Mike Williams has gone thru, you have to relearn lots of things. Even basic things like balance are subtly changing. Williams will need to get into shape, and stay in that shape for many months in order to learn his abilities and limitations.

And at this level, a deep understanding of those abilities and limits is needed.

Williams may be a good story one day. But opening day of the 2009 football season was never a realistic day for that.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 1:38 PM

Fine. Then Week Two.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 1:38 PM

Fine. Then Week Two.

Posted by: dcsween

Whatever you say, docsween

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

This just in: the redskins have offered 2 1st round picks and JC for Favre.

Posted by: NFeKPo | August 18, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

As big as Mike Williams is, you'd think he'd be the strongest guy on the roster, but in a previous article they credit
Philip Daniels as being the strongest guy on the team. So, does this mean that even at his svelte 339 pounds, Mike Williams is more fat than muscle?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

ummmm, can't you watch monday night fuball even if your team isn't playing? Relax a little bean, just cause somebody watched the game and stated the obvious that the giants are a better team than us doesn't mean that they aren't a skins fan.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

IMHO, there is no way Rivers sniffs the open market so forget about that right now. No star quality QB will be on the market, I'm thinking the scenario goes after we pass by everyone on our long journey to the middle (movie anyone?) Zorn, JC, and Vinny (not fired but "reassigned" to full-time Snider butt buddy) are all gone and we hire either Shanahan, Holmgren, or Cowher (my preference would be Shanny) and they go all out for the biggest name in the draft and the cycle begins again.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dmorgan6617

Let us know the next time YOU lose 111 pounds of ugly fat. And divorcing your wife doesn't count.

Hey, dieting ain't as easy as it looks! If he never plays a down, the comeback was worth it to him--if not the 'skins.

Posted by: TheCork | August 18, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, my issues with pdfordiii's analysis were not of the "go root for the Gints" variety but more along these lines: a) there's always reason for hope in a league where the flingin' flangin' Cardinals can advance to a Super Bowl, and 3) there's no reason to think that the next head coach of the Redskins will have any say in who his quarterback is. Even if that coach is Russ "The Flea" Grimm.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 18, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 1:20 PM |

Whatevs, sarcasm on or off. Below is a post from J Reid stating that the org told him and his brother that the OL line was the main problem behind the dive at the end of 2008. IMO, Reid's "spidey-sense" doesn't tingle too much when he is being fed a "line".

"It seemed as if there were breakdowns in pass protection on nearly every snap late in the season.

But as the Redskins were falling apart, many in the organization told my former partner, Jason "The TV Star" La Canfora, and me that the line's deficiencies in pass protection (the unit was much better at run blocking) was the biggest problem. The Redskins also came to that conclusion in an internal review of what went wrong last season - then made their biggest moves on defense.

By Jason Reid | August 13, 2009; 9:15 AM ET"

Posted by: TubularBells | August 18, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork

Oh yes it does count. It absolutely totally and completely counts.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Stay Mediocre!... eh... medium!

BMW can't be considered a project -= he's too old. They brought him on to contribute now. He doesn't count agains tthe cap if they fire his A$$, right?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

In that case I'm ahead by 35 or so pounds... ;]

Oh yes it does count. It absolutely totally and completely counts.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Sween:
RE: Incentives For Idiocy.

I believe there is also a CD signed by Chris Cooley involved.

JD

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 18, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

RIP Bob Novack

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 18, 2009 1:56 PM |

There was a lot of woofin on RI about how good the Giants were after last night's game, especially from long time RI posters who consider themselves fans and should have known better.

Posted by: TubularBells | August 18, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 1:54 PM

Maybe true, but I could think of one way he sniffs: The Owner (a vanguard among the Young Turks of the league owners) and like minded (and like monied) other owners seed and feed the news cycle about the lapse of the CBA ... which means the end of the salary cap. Not sure who River's agent is, but The Owner works with lots and lots of agents (and may or may not be under investigation with the league of tampering on Haynesworth). If Rivers were ever to think out loud about hypotheticals when his agent is around and wonders "HOW MUCH do you think the Skins would want to pay me?!!" ... that might be a worth a late season sniff ... or at least a rollover to voicemail on his cell phone when the Chargers keep calling.

I'm a believer in the vast corporate wing conspiracy though. I recognize that that sniff scenario is probably even less likely than the double injury/Colt or Chase super star scenario. Mostly, my guess is that Jason Campbell does really well and gets re-signed.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Tubular! awesome Tag!

I don't think there's much argument to the Ginas being a better team than the Skins at this point.

I don't feel we have any reason to think of ourselves as worse than the other two squads, though. All have their problems and we'll learn who's better there through the season.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

You don't think every potential free agent and every player's agent doesn't already think that? We are the cash register every potential FA looks at.....Rivers has to know he could get more from us than anywhere else, but in San Diego he has an easy division, LT and Sproles, Gates, legit receivers, a good line, and a good D, the best weather on the planet and below average fan/media pressure. Here he would come in with the pressure of a giant contract to live up to, two aging rapidly "stars" in CP and Moss, a crap line, and the toughest division in foozball at least from a defensive standpoint.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I would think any foobaw player worth his salt would want to be in the NFC East. But I'm biased.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

IMHO, there is no way...

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 1:54 PM

Help me with this, Jack. What does the H stand for when you use this acronym?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

TE, it was funnier the first time you made the joke, being repetitive with it detracts from the humor.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

its so obvious that the giants are better than the Redskins right jack??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm also hardly the only opinionated person on the RI who argues what they think....yourself included...

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

its so obvious that the giants are better than the Redskins right jack??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah it is bean, the depth at every position they have puts ours to shame....the only place we compete with them now is Dline and Secondary, everywhere else you look at they are stronger than we are except maybe tight end but Boss did have more scores and less fumbles than Cooley did last year. I personally think Eli is overrated and the JC would look pretty good behind their line, heck, David Carr looked really good behind their line, but he has the ring and the success that JC has only dreamed about. When we're 100% healthy we can play with anybody, but 100% health in the NFL is a pipe dream and top to bottom their roster is much stronger than ours.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Williams is clearly not ready to start an NFL game. He may not be until late in the season and that is strictly from a 'get the rust off' and build endurance perspective.

What about his technique and footwork?

He was an average tackle in his prime in Buffalo.

He is not a former pro bowler merely trying to regain his form.

That is something that should not be forgotten in all of this.

Posted by: leopard09 | August 18, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ooh ooh ooh...chopper video of Favre getting out of an SUV at Vikings headquarters! Scintillating stuff!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 18, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

WR

RB

TE

LB

S

CB

Who has better players in your opinion Jack?? This should be good.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

does have a gun to his head in the back seat of a white bronco?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 18, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't get it twisted, at select positions we have a more talented player, but that doesn't make a better team, I would take Rogers and Hall over any corner they have, I'd take Landry over any safety they have, Fletcher and Haynesworth at their positions, Moss at his, Cooley over Boss....but that's it...CP is probably a slightly better back than Jacobs but Bradshaw is miles ahead of Betts and behind their line their that much better. Receivers for them are unproven with Plax gone but they have a lot of talent on there and after Santanna (and I think Kelly is gonna be really good this year but he's unproven) we're extremely average and unproven too. They are young everywhere too, something we aren't either.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | August 18, 2009 2:35 PM

Were the police chasing him or escorting him?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not necessarily on the bandwagon that says the Vagiants are clearly ahead of the Skins, but they did score with their starters in their first game (and they did do a little better than the Skins last season).

I note that Tynes missed a 43 yard FG ... and that, on balance, I think the Skins has a better chance of coming up with three solid WRs to start than NY does. Last year, even when he was hurt, I thought that Burress was the most dangerous receiver in the NFL (and the Skins tried to keep two guys on him all the time), so his absence cannot be understated.

Jacobs, on the other hand, can really soften up a D-line, so with Bradshaw, their running game might compensated for fall off in their passing game.

The other thing is that, since the Super Bowl, its been harder to rattle Eli by merely throwing him on the ground hard a few times ... which is unfortunate b/c rattling him used to be enough to take the crowd out of the game in the Meadowlands. After he floundered a little, they would return to their brie and chardonnay.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Williams is clearly not ready to start an NFL game.

Posted by: leopard09 | August 18, 2009 2:35 PM

Hey, he's ready to start when Doc Sweeney or Doc Pepper gives him medical clearance.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Who has better players in your opinion Jack??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 2:38 PM

You left out the adjective, Bean, the "H word".

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

But no matter what 7 more talented players doesn't make up for number 15 through 53 on the roster of theirs that are better than ours....the oline disparity alone is enough to make them a better team than us....from a unit/coaching standpoint

Defense:
with a healthy Osi back in their lineup and the Canty pick up I would call us a push for now but I think we have the potential to be better than they are.

Offense:
No contest they are better

S/T:
They are proven on all units, we had the worst kicker in the league last year and he's still here

Coaching:
Second year guy who has never even been a coordinator, Tommy redface no contest

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

If you want to anoint the Giants, then go ahead and anoint them.

Seriously, I recall last year this time, these same things were being said about the Cowboys march to supremacy. The Giants looked good last night. IMO on offense, I would pound the ball and pick on their LBs in coverage and see what that get me. On defense I'd make Eli beat press man with Haynesworth, Orakpo, and LL bringing the heat.

Posted by: TWISI | August 18, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

TubularBells,

Not sure why noticing that the Giants (and Panthers) looked good last night means that one is "rooting" for them. Did the Giants look good last night? Oh my, yes. Do I want them to win? F no, man. Get it straight yo.

It looked like a regular season game in the first quarter to me. I saw a LOT more intensity from the Giants than I saw from the 'Skins at Baltimore. It gives me zero, read again: ZERO pleasure to say that.

If you think I am overstating things, just look at the Bradshaw TD again: perfect blocking at the line; great misdirection juke from Bradshaw; great powering through the safety from Bradshaw. All set up, again, by Oline.

Hey, I hope the 'Skins wake up and learn they have to bring the wood every practice, every scrimmage, every preseason game, and everyday after that. I just don't see it yet.

If the team attacked each other in practice and the other team in games the way Mike Williams attacks his Big Mac Blubber, we'd be super bowl bound.

Posted by: hithere1 | August 18, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | August 18, 2009 2:35 PM

An image forever burned in my memory. Game 5 of Olajuwon v. Ewing ... and I have to watch it in the picture-in-picture. Bob Costas, "the tragic becomes the surreal."

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

but Bradshaw is miles ahead of Betts

Really?? is this the same bradshaw thats never rushed for more than 400 yards during a single season, and he's better than betts?? Lets see how he does this year, when he's the #2, instead of being the #3 back.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"Here he would come in with the pressure of a giant contract to live up to, two aging rapidly "stars" in CP and Moss, a crap line, and the toughest division in foozball at least from a defensive standpoint.

Posted by: zjfr2"

For argument's sake, he would also be coming to a franchise with a massive history, an impeccable marketing record, great exposure, the marquee division in football, one of the greatest rivalries in sports, a city with more than one sports team, an owner willing to bend to the will of his stars, and, as stated, the opportunity to make more money than almost anywhere else in the league.

There's a reason the Redskins have a history of signing marquee players in free agency, and it's not because those guys are scared of a tough division.

Posted by: psps23 | August 18, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Ooh ooh ooh...now he's walking onto the practice field. Goose bumps, I tell ya.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 18, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Weight loss aside, how did BMW do against Baltimore?

How has he been doing in practice despite the abdominal strain.

I'll give the guy a chance. He seems to be working harder and more focused than he ever with the Bills.

Posted by: GoEagles | August 18, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

...now he's walking onto the practice field. Goose bumps, I tell ya.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 18, 2009 2:50 PM

Is he wearing pads or a cape?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

He was an average tackle in his prime in Buffalo.

He is not a former pro bowler merely trying to regain his form.

That is something that should not be forgotten in all of this.
-------------------------------------------

He was also a first round draft choice, not a UDFA. He didn't get there by being fat and ineffective. He has game, he just have to work back to form. Performing at a high level athletically is as much mental as phsyical.

He's trying as hard as he can...I don't see how you can not root for a guy like that.

Posted by: McMetal | August 18, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The jints and the Skins are very similar -- on the surface.

The big differences -- we have Santana Moss and they have an OL.

For me, the OL difference IS the difference. Then add in their advantages in depth, FG kicking, the HC and big game experience ... the jints are better.

Insurmountably better? No, if our OL holds up and overachieves, we are the better team. But that's one very large 'if'.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Lets see how he does this year, when he's the #2, instead of being the #3 back.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 2:47 PM

You mean like 35 yds rushing (7.0 yds avg) and 17 receiving (8.5 yds per) and a TD in two quarters? Looks like moving from #3 to #2 is working out OK for him ... touches-wise anyway.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

but Bradshaw is miles ahead of Betts

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Bean, you proved the point right there, out of all that I said your only comeback is to wait and see if Bradshaw will be better than Betts this year?

I'll take the bet right now, loser leaves the blog forever, Total yards and TDs for Betts vs. Bradshaw, if they each win one category its a push. You in?

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

For argument's sake, he would also be coming to ... a city with more than one sports team

Posted by: psps23 | August 18, 2009 2:49 PM

Does Snyder have a license to sell Strasburg Redskins Jerseys yet?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

PS:

"There IS no tomorrow! There IS no tomorrow!"

Maybe the 'Skins need a visit from Apollo Creed at practice.

Posted by: hithere1 | August 18, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Farve signs contract right next to practice field. How embarrasing for the other 2 QBs.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:53 PM

SAY NO, BEAN!!! IF EITHER OF YOU LEAVES THE BLOG, WE'LL ALL BE LOSERS, IMHO.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1, last night their starting guards did not play ... that was their backups at guard.

How am I getting sucked into this? F the Giants! F chRIs LaRry! F bombs! F ervescence!

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

of course he'll say no, he knows I'm right, the burgundy glasses just won't let him admit it...

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, but he'd have to play third fiddle behind Strasburg and Ovechkin. Never happen.

Does Snyder have a license to sell Strasburg Redskins Jerseys yet?

Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Don't forget the return of Agent Zero.

Posted by: psps23 | August 18, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

zj, I'll take that bet, you're on.

That wasn't my only point, I listed MULTIPLE positions, where the redskins were a better team, and here was what you said:

"I would take Rogers and Hall over any corner they have, I'd take Landry over any safety they have, Fletcher and Haynesworth at their positions, Moss at his, Cooley over Boss....but that's it...CP is probably a slightly better back than Jacobs but Bradshaw is miles ahead of Betts"

So by your OWN ADMISSION, we're more talented than they are at MANY SPOTS.

Get back to me when you can back up your statement that the Giants are "obviously better".........

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll take the bet right now, loser leaves the blog forever, ...

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 2:53 PM

This would be unenforceable. It should be that the loser has to change their blog handle to something like "Panties" or "GreggWilliamsStinkyThong" or something like that.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

I think he is going to tear this team apart. A very bad move by Vikings.

Posted by: jm220 | August 18, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

How embarrasing for the other 2 QBs.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 2:56 PM

Tarvaris Jackson is used to embarassment. This is new for Sage Rosenfels, though. Maybe he'll come back to the 'Skins with Marty.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 2:56 PM

... just on the verge of my rocking the FF world with my super secret second QB choice, Sage Rosenfels.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Clarifying question ... is the accepted bet about Betts v. Bradshaw? Or was their a counter-bet about "multiple positions" on Vagiants v. Skins?

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Once again, proving what an intelligent person you truly are.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

PUT IT ON THE BOARD!!!!

Betts vs. Bradshaw and the presence of the wait and see excuse maker will be finally over....

Bean, do you still not get it or read the rest of the post? You and Snider still don't get it, 7 better players don't make you a better team, ESPECIALLY when none of those seven players are QB or Oline.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ooh ooh ooh...he just left the practice field...ripped up the contract, and re-re-re-re-re-retired...back into the SUV...it's pulling away...WAIT, it stopped...backing up...he's getting out...running back to the field...signing something, I think it's another new contract...yes, it is! He's now un-re-re-re-re-re-retired!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 18, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

A very bad move by Vikings.

Posted by: jm220 | August 18, 2009 3:00 PM

But it will move the two games with Green Bay into prime time. That has to be worth something to someone. Not sure who. Cheeseheads?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle

Obviously, you've never spent much time in the West Coast utopia known as San Diego. Great weather, sweet beaches, tan and fit blondes...I have no idea what point I'm trying to make.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 18, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The bet is total yds and tds for the season Betts vs. Bradshaw, if they each win one category its a push, they have to sweep those two categories for a victory to occur..

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

tan and fit blondes...

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 18, 2009 3:05 PM

But they're air heads and can't have an intelligent political discussion, IMHO.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"if they each win one category its a push, they have to sweep those two categories for a victory to occur..

Posted by: zjfr2

That's a cop-out. There has to be a winner. Total fantasy pts gained. 1 pt for every 10 yds, 6 pts for every TD.

Posted by: psps23 | August 18, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh BeantownGreg1, will you never learn?

More than any other fan base, 'Skins fans should know that winning NFL games is not simply a matter of individual talent (remember 2000!).

Say it with me now: it takes teamwork! Yay, team!

Remember the '87 Redskins 3rd lockout game against Dallas, where Dallas had a bunch of starters cross the picket lines and the 'Skins were still playing with a team of scrubs? Did Dallas win that game?

Character, intensity, heart. C'mon now, remember 2000!

Posted by: hithere1 | August 18, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Favre can now add to his interception record that nobody will ever beat. With 321 INTs and 178 lost fumbles, I don't know what people ever saw in this guy in the first place. I can stand the prique.

Posted by: larrypalma | August 18, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

its not a cop out its a simple bet, and I don't care about fantasy and all that crap, ps its our bet and its made, so go make your own bet with someone if you want to but that's ours.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Danny. Why didn't you go after Mr. "GB""NJ" now "MV". Would have been better than anything you have now ! Oh ! Does anone have MARTY S. email add ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:04 PM

I'll be watching those games, def....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Say it with me now: it takes teamwork! Yay, team!

Posted by: hithere1 | August 18, 2009 3:08 PM

Obiously not a Redskins fan. Here it's not "Yay, team" but "Hip, hip, hooray!"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Darn, first Vick and now Favre. How is Dan Snyder going to get his hooks into the next recycled "Next Big QB Signing" now? Is Danny Wuerfel still out there? Oh, wait, I know... Jeff George says he can still play!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:09 PM

Reading this out loud, it has the same sound and rhythm of "nanny nanny boo boo stick your head in SJK"

Posted by: 4-12 | August 18, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

That's a cop-out. There has to be a winner. ...

Posted by: psps23 | August 18, 2009 3:08 PM

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:09 PM

So I'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the Highlander movie.

p.s. (real p.s., not psps). Highlander Two was not only the worst sequel ever made, it was the worst movie ever made. Spare no effort to avoid this motion picture. It is WORSE than power rankings.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

You think fans throw cheese at Favre during prime time? Cheese is a completely underthrown foodstuff.

Also, ITAFIREJIMZORN (as if I'm the last to figure that out).

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. I guess learning is so 1987.

Posted by: hithere1 | August 18, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

It is WORSE than power rankings.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 3:16 PM

Isn't this statement, in itself, a power ranking?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The big difference between the two teams? Coaching. They've got one and the Redskins will have one next year...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Who is our back up center?

I know we need another tackle, but if Raebach gets hurt, I think we're pretty f'd (well, more f'd than we already are)

Sorry if this has been discussed in detail here many times already... I can't figure out how to change my User ID to Captain Obvious.

Posted by: jgarrisn | August 18, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, if its boobs blondes & brunettes, gimme Miamuh - but I was talking playin for the best division in football.

And for those touting the Skins over the Ginas - I'm with you in spirit, but there are NO INDICATORS of superiority. And for measure, I'm talking: Two seasons ago - they're champs, last season - divisional champs, this pre-season - up a game.

No real opportunity to say 'we're better' is there?

Now - lets play the season and see how we do.

I'm still 10-6 - make the playoffs.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. I guess learning is so 1987.

Posted by: hithere1 | August 18, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

No amount of explaining and apparently no amount of crappy seasons will teach Snider or Bean that football is played with more than a few big names. Anybody who knows football and looks at us versus the Giants knows that except for a few spots they are a dramatically better team. That's not to say we couldn't ever beat them or anybody else for that matter, but if I could remove the logos and the emotions from the decision is there anybody in their right mind that would pick our roster over theirs taken as a whole?

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

It is very possible to win 11 games with this team. Undoubtedly that is completely reliant on the defense being absolutely dominant. Haynesworth , Orakpo and Jarmon rushing, Fletcher there to clean up and the corners will do their job. If this new punter can pin opponents deep, we can kick field goals and play with a short field then the Skins are in god shape. I think the key to this season is in the return game. We all know what happens to Eli when he is under pressure, and I am thrilled to see what Haynesworth does to him.
Note to Giants: Good luck running the ball on us this year

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 18, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm still 10-6 - make the playoffs.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2009 3:24 PM

----------

Dreaming...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Will Montgomery is the backup center and Edwin Williams is the backup to the backup. Montgomery is the front runner and Edwin Williams might spend a season aging on the developmental roster.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"The way to beat the Giants is to get into Eli's head by hitting him hard and frequently. I think they are a little spongy at the outside linebacker position and their team speed is not the greatest: Jim Zorn, keep one of those scatbacks! As I have mentioned before, a good hurry up offense trumps their defensive line rotation. Posted by: RedSkinHead"

Thing I noticed the other night is how many of the Giants' rush yards came after the back was well past the front seven. Maybe it was just poor preseason tackling on Carolina's part, but it was clear that it was the backs, rather than the initial blocking from the o-line, that accounted for much of the team's running success. Doesn't mean the o-line was opening holes -- but it did suggest those two backs, Jacobs and Bradshaw, were doing a big chunk of the heavy lifting on their own.

Other thing I noticed is that they didn't seem to throw to Bradshaw very much. If that holds, it would be a big change from last year, when the change of pace back (Derrick Ward) was an integral component of the pass attack.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 18, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:05 PM

I'm sorry, but as the Unofficial Commissioner of RI, I cannot let this bet stand.

In the first place, it violates my edict against gambling, and you are each subject to a three-thread suspension. In the second place, even if the bet were allowed, the stakes are unacceptable to the Blog. Either way, one of the Most Distinctive Voices of the Blog would be lost to the rest of the Blog. It will free up a lot of time for one of you, but it is not in the best interests of the Blog.

The only way you two can settle this is not with a bet but by the traditional RI way. First, you should call each other idiots and morons. Then, each of you should say "agree to disagree."

Sorry, but that's how we do it up here. The bet is hereby rescinded, declared null and void, etc.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

reskinhead

"The big difference between the two teams (jints/skins)? Coaching."

I'd say it seems the biggest difference is talent acquisition.

Skinsfans love the move to add Prince Al, but then watch the jints v. panthers preseason game and see a team that goes 7 deep on the defensive line.

We hate on Thomas/Kelly/Davis while the jints have six guys who'll catch as many balls as Plax and Toomer did back in the day.

Vinny doesn't see any offensive linemen worth selecting, but F Reese takes William Beatty at tackle, and the kid spends time shutting down panthers d-end Everette Brown, a guy some folks had ranked high before the draft.

And Beatty gets added to an already solid offensive line.

But this is an old story.

We say, "Fire Vinny!" and the short owner with long money ignores our calls.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

And I'm asking you to quantify that, put your money where your loud mouth is, because you've already stated that other than OL, the Redskins are better at RB/WR/TE/CB/S, and DL is most likely a push..so based on what YOU HAVE SAID, how are they dramatically better.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Really Chia? We've gotten better - have one big hole to work around. If they can coach around it, we can win 10 games.

I could see you saying 'I think you're wrong', but Dreaming? That's irrational.

That being said, I can totally see us being worse. But I haven't seen anything worse than what I've expected, and our schedule isn't that awful.

Where do you have us?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

dcsween

I WANT TO BOX YOU IN FRONT OF FED EX !

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

So... no bonus points, then?

The bet is hereby rescinded, declared null and void, etc.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:29 PM

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

It is very possible to win 11 games with this team.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 18, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I have waited for my predictions until preseason started, now that its here I'm ready:
@ NY Giants L
@ Philadelphia L
New Orleans L
@ Oakland W
NY Giants L
Dallas W
@ San Diego L

And TE, you have no authority over me, the blog, or our bet. Hopefully you'll stand by your word, but I don't expect it....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

that was bean hopefully you'll.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I never saw an unwatchable Highlander. Was that when he was in 'current' times?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

We say, "Fire Vinny!" and the short owner with long money ignores our calls.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 3:31 PM |

You don't get it, Moe. Snyder marches to the beat of a different drum -- Frank Sinatra sings his song:

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

Well, maybe not the tall part, but the "my way" part definitely

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd say it seems the biggest difference is talent acquisition.

And Beatty gets added to an already solid offensive line.

But this is an old story.

We say, "Fire Vinny!" and the short owner with long money ignores our calls.

Posted by: MistaMoe

MistaMoe, well said.

Its a dam shame that our vertically challenged owner values a good raquetball partner more than he values building a good team.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 18, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe, I will grant you that the Giants have an eye for talent and Vinny is behind in this category, but you know, some of the guys Vinny brought in have some real potential. This is where coaching comes in. Zorn didn't give the top three draft picks a lot of opportunity to improve last season. Yes, Kelly was hurt, but for the most part Davis and Thomas were healthy and Zorn didn't use them. I fear Marko Mitchell is headed down the same path this year. How about Rhinehart? Did he mature to a decent guard over the offseason? If he got the reps last year we'd probably be asking ourselves why the team needs Randy Thomas. I just don't think the offensive coaching staff can develop players. Zorn is too rigid in bending his playbook to "dumb down" the offense for rookies and he seems to be reluctant to give them those opportunities in the first year. Could it be that Vinny understands this and decided the best investment of his draft picks was on defense where Chris Horton rose up through the ranks last year? Probably not, but it does raise an interesting question. If Zorn gets canned at the end of this season and Vinny spends all of his draft picks on offense next year, it might suggest that have been the mindset.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 18, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:40 PM

You know, defying the Unofficial Commissioner could make it worse for you in the end. And Bean can't stand by his word because the Unofficial Commissioner has already prohibited.

Now just call him an idiot and then say "agree to disagree" and we can move on from here. Thank you.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

That last HIghlander was horrible. The TV series was boring, but passable.

Well, we're only two games off there, Jack. I can certainly see 8-8 again, sadly. But I'm thinking they can actually pull one out against the Giants. I don't understand why we both think they'll lose in Hotlanta. We should be able to take them, really.

I do say this is the year we beat the Cowpatties twice. Which is really all that matters to me, hehe.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 18, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Bean, we have the occasionally better individual at all those positions, but not better units. As a whole I'd take the Giants WRs, OL, RBs, QBs, K, LBs, and DEs which are kind of big spots. Landry is the best safety on either roster and Horton shows some promise but they are solid there too so that to me is a push. I'd take our DTs over theirs and the CBs are kind of a push as our starting two are better but Smoot is merely solid at this point and Barnes and Tryon look terrible so far. So out of our entire team to me there is only one position that I would take our depth chart over theirs and that's DT and that is assuming Griffen and Haynesworth are healthy which is hardly a given. I know I can't convince you, its like talking to a wall, but I think most any reasonable fan or football follower would tell you the same things, top to bottom they are a better team.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"but can't see where we possibly win anything over 9 games."

I can! Take your 8 wins, then add 2 more wins (let's say New Orleans and San Diego). Boom! 10 wins.

Do you see it? Do you see it?

Posted by: psps23 | August 18, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

After years of giving away draft picks SNyder finds himself with linemen past their prime. I would not be surprised if Vinny is scouting his local grocery store for the next Mike Williams/Kurt Warner.

Posted by: jercha | August 18, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"8-8 and that's with us winning all the games we should be favored in which we never do. I can see plus or minus 1 each direction but can't see where we possibly win anything over 9 games."

Actually, the numbers argue that the Skins are the sort of team that could win 11 games or win 5. The reason you keep seeing 8 & 8 in the media is because that's the safe option.

We're not blessed with a team that's as predictable as NY or Philadelphia. We're more like Dallas. Barring some unforeseen change via injury, we're going to have to wait and see what happens as the season advances.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 18, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute TE. I was hoping Cindy would put up a poll asking RIers to vote on who they wanted to win the bet.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 18, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 18, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

lol, want and will are two hugely different things....I will, and I don't care what ya'll want...

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

As a whole I'd take the Giants WRs, OL, RBs, QBs, K, LBs, and DEs

wow....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

As a whole I'd take the Giants WRs, OL, RBs, QBs, K, LBs, and DEs

wow....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 18, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

the fact that you wouldn't shows how little you know about football and why snider makes the money he does.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 2:59 PM

Sween's got the right idea here. And the bet is not allowed by the Unofficial Commissioner.

Once Cindy puts the poll up and we have a winner then:

If Jack Wins, BeantownGreg changes his handle to:

JackKnowsItAll;I'mADummy

And if Greg wins, then Jack changes his handle to:

BeantownGregIsSmarterThanGod;I'mDummerThanStink.

Okay, Cindy, get that poll up here!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

dcsween

I WANT TO BOX YOU IN FRONT OF FED EX !

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN

I'll bring the twine. Who's in charge of payin'the freight?

Posted by: TheCork | August 18, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Dik,

I have us at another mediocre season, 8-8 (at best.)

No way anyone can sell me on this O Line being a good unit. They're below average, and it will prove to be our Achilles heel.

WR is of particular concern, as is our run game, and special teams.

QB is equally circumspect.

Our D is good, should keep us close in many games, and might very well win a couple for us outright, but that there is about it...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 18, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

ranking rosters after one preseason game = power rankings, literally

Posted by: -swb | August 18, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 18, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Or, more accurately, Bob Novak, rot in he11

------------------------
RIP Bob Novack

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 2:05 PM

Posted by: hogmeister | August 18, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep. Smoot item with afternoon practice update at the end.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 18, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I never saw an unwatchable Highlander. Was that when he was in 'current' times?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 3:42 PM

Much, much worse. Its the future. From imdb.com:

"The year is 2024, and MacLeod is now a mortal old man. However the world has become a very dead planet since the creation of "the shield", an artifical ozone layer - which MacLeod supervised construction of. It turns out that MacLeod was banished from a distant past with his mentor Ramirez. MacLeod's old nemesis from the past (General Katana) travels into the future to kill Connor once an for all. MacLeod calls upon the spirit of Ramirez to help him defeat Katana, before Katana kills him. MacLeod is also aided by Louise Marcus, an environmental activist that believes the ozone layer as repaired itself and "the shield" is no longer necessary."

On the season, my take is that the Skins are currently undefeated and only need to win one game to establish dominance in the NFC East. After that, its a roll of the dice (injuries, bad calls by the refs, whether I have to watch the kids, etc.).

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

It looks like the Giants might have some talent at receiver but they've basically proven nothing. Until they do, I definitely take the Skins there. The Giants have the best O line in the division though and the Skins have the worst O line with horrible depth and a bunch of old, injured players. This is by far their biggest weakness right now. I think if the skins get decent play out of the O line then they'll make the playoffs but if the pass protection looks like last season then they'll still be a cut bellow at least the Giants and the Eagles.

Posted by: ParticipatoryDemocracyNow | August 18, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Geez...reading this blog is like getting fingernails pulled out.

As a skins fan, I must say...the Giants are WAY better then the Skins. It's not even a comparison. While I want the Skins to bust that a$$, when have we?

Check the records. It's called reality. Over the past FIVE years, what is the skins record vs. the Giants? Just interested in finding that out?

I hope the Skins sweep em up this year but doesn't look probable.

Look..I'm a realist. not an arm-chair qb like i see on this blog.

Btw..Let's see what they can do come week 1 REGULAR season...not pre-season.

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | August 18, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

To bad gibbs and bethard era is not still here, they would hide him on IR for the year

Posted by: Deadfish | August 18, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

First, I live in SoCal, and refuse to spend the $$ for NFL Sunday Ticket; I have enough respect for GOOD FOOTBALL to watch it no matter who's playing.

2nd, While we can always hope, If you cannot see the obvious superiority in the Giants vs. the 'Skins then you are burgundy and gold blinded. I've been a 'Skins fan since the 70's; hell, my electronic football Redskins still has #56 as their center, and # 42 & # 80 as their receivers! If our offense struggles again against Pittsburgh, I don't want to hear the 'well they won the Super Bowl' excuse; it means the Skins CANNOT COMPETE with Super-Bowl caliber teams.
My biggest intangible issue is this team's lack of identity/swagger. A West Coast offense should strike fear through it's fast pace and unpredictability; the 'Skins haven't proven that yet. If the defense becomes the personality of this team, then the offense must complement it by either putting points on the board early, or controlling the clock and keeping the defense fresh. Not only do we fans not know this team's personality, but THEY DON'T.

We used to know what 'Redskins Football' was; right now we don't, and Zorn has yet to re-establish what 'Redskins Football' is.

Posted by: pdfordiii | August 19, 2009 3:02 AM | Report abuse

Enough with the feel good story of BMW losing weight...what is lost in this story is that a true professional would not be 120 pounds overweight. His skills are questionable...he will start on Jenny Craig...not the skins. Enough already.

Posted by: MPNangle | August 19, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse