Mitchell Knows Battle Is Just Beginning

Rookie wide receiver Marko Mitchell was selected in the seventh round (No. 243 overall) of the NFL draft and, befitting that status, he was considered a long shot to make the opening 53-man roster. Mitchell, of course, had other ideas. He was the surprise of training camp and preseason games. Now, with the season about to begin, Mitchell says he isn' satisfied with simply having a roster spot. He wants to be actively involved in the passing game and plans to keep pushing on the field.

"To be completely honest, that's my whole mindset from the beginning," Mitchell said. "Since I got here, I wasn't just worried about making the team. My whole mindset is, 'I got drafted here. I'm here to stay. I'm here to play.' But from the moment my name was called on draft day, my objective was to come in and play. Nothing's changed."

You have to respect this kid's approach. I don't know how many seventh-rounders exude confidence, but Mitchell does. And it's not arrogance from a guy who has done nothing in this league. He comes across as someone who knows he defied the odds to reach a certain point and still plans to bring it hard every day.

"A lot of people look at draft picks, where people were drafted at and if they're a free agent, all of that," Mitchell said. "But my mindset is, once the 53 are in here, once they pick the team, where you're drafted at is out the door.

"At that point, we're all football players. Where you're drafted at, what round and all of that, it's not about that anymore. We're all football players. Either you can do something or you can't."

Malcolm Kelly in the starting flanker, Antwaan Randle El will be the team's primary slot receiver and Devin Thomas also is expected to be heavily involved in the passing game. But Mitchell plans to keep battling for a piece of the pie.

"A lot of people didn't think I'd be here," Mitchell said. "But you see I'm here."

By Jason Reid  |  September 10, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth Ready to Play His Game
Next: Predict Portis' Output

Comments

Posted by: gcoles32 | September 10, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Lets go Marko. I love that confidence. I think Marko is going to be a beast. And he will eventually rise, our receiving corps will be something of a joy to watch for years to come.

Posted by: gcoles32 | September 10, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

FOOOOOOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLL GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know when the 8 players inactive for a game is announced? Is it game day or the day before? I really hope Marko can do enough in practice to be active for the games as I think he will show up big when given the chance.

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

We'll see...hope I'm wrong, but I smell Stubblefield 2.0...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 7:09 AM

lol.. not a good way to start an controversy. Stubbie was what? 6'2-300.. c'mon. He got lucky with SF but wasn't consistent. He's no force, obviously. Haynesworth is a beast.. sure, he had success getting sacks with Tenn.. but it's not the point though and you know it.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

2 words: Marques Colston

Posted by: rich20ssu | September 10, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I think Marko better get used to the bench. He's the 5th wide receiver on a team that's gonna need to max protect for most of the year.

Posted by: Diesel_Skins | September 10, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

In a year or two it'll be Kelly and Mitchell on the outside with Moss in the slot. Thomas will of course be on his website talking about how awesome he is (and/or returning kicks/punts). Our passing game will be unstoppable, but our rushing game is on a downhill slide. We desperately need to bring in some young change-of-pace blood to groom so they can take over for Portis when he's done in the next few years. Mason can take over the hard nosed rushing but we need someone else, too.

Posted by: Keiser | September 10, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I am beginning to think that Tomlin is a head case and the players are going to stop playing for him. That little stunt he did in preseason with the bus for the team to go to the movies, and then canceled it saying, "they needed to learn about being disappointed" was just too much. That's not how you earn respect.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 8:12 AM

Wow. Just wow.

I live up in PA and I get to see the Steelers a lot...Tomlin is the goods. And I hate to break it to you, but he's been pulling stunts like you named since Day 1. And I'm pretty sure it works...he's got the hardware to prove it. He wore a black, long sleeve shirt during training camp last year during the hottest day of the year to "provide mental warfare with the players". As long as you respect them as men, the players don't care about that stuff ultimately.

Trust me...Tomlin's a VA boy and I've followed his career from the start. He's way legit and easily one of the top 5 coaches in the game.

Steelers win tonight 21-13.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

dear devin,

Sincerely,
EVERYONE

Posted by: carsonspence | September 10, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Stubblefield played next to Bryant Young in SF. Haynesworth was Bryant Young for Tennessee.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 8:48 AM

Dude, I'm not talking about their size being the same it's the situation. Both guys were All-Pro before coming here. Stubby was Defensive Player of the Year, for God's sake! He had like 15 1/2 sacks the year before (a contract year), a ridiculous total for a DT. AH comes here off of his best season to date (a contract year) and was an All-Pro getting pumped up as the best at his position (which we as Skins fans should know by now seldom translates to another city in another system). THAT is the parallel I'm looking at.

Look, I don't wanna get into this whole thing again...Psps23 and I got into it about this after the signing and I've said all I can on that. I'm taking my usual stance on this team...hope for the best but expect the worst. Worst case scenario is I'll be right.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Lawrence Timmons and Casey Hampton are so friggin over-rated......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Colt was all gung ho and most of you wanted to string him up... Marko is all hubris and you're all for it... weird.

I like it when a young player realizes the fallacy of perceptions. Wanna be a player? PLAY!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 10, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 8:55 AM

Yes, a "battering ram".

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Big Al will be ready to perform. My only hope is that the other guys on the Defensive line can beat their man 1 on 1. I am still not so sure. Well hopefully something has to give, either beat their guy 1- on-1 or Greg Blache, who is only obsessed about stopping the run, changes up his system a little bit and actually come up with some "exotic blitzes"

Correct me if I'm wrong but when Greg Williams was here, our Defense was exciting to watch and they created havoc all over the place. In addition to getting sacks.

Posted by: gcoles32 | September 10, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Lawrence Timmons and Casey Hampton are so friggin over-rated......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 8:59 AM

Alright, so let me get this straight...Hampton, who has been one of the elite nose tackles in the game most of his career, is overrated. Albert Haynesworth, who has 14.5 of his 24 career sacks in the last 2 seasons (when he was playing for a contract) is the goods.

You hereby lose the right to look down your nose at my comments...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"The other famous Chargers rookie dinner came back in 1998, when a young man named Ryan Leaf was expected to take everyone out to dinner. Leaf was, um, reluctant, we'll say ... so Junior Seau(notes) stole his credit card and made it happen anyway. Leaf had a fit, and his bill was only $3,000. I hope everyone enjoyed their Extra Value Meals that night."

Ryan Leaf was such a doosh. It's a credit to the Chargers FO that they overcame that debacle plus the whole Eli Manning thing.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 10, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Hook

Line

Sinker..

Nice job brownie you FRAUD...go follow your beloved steelers......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

dear devin,

Sincerely,
EVERYONE

Posted by: carsonspence | September 10, 2009 8:55 AM

Don't lump me in that group. I'm a big believer of his talent and I think he'll come up big this year as well. All that talk about Kelly and Mitchell working with Campbell after practice, I go on the redskins blogger site and he's reporting Thomas is on the field working as well. Thomas isn't as polished as Kelly, yet. As he continues to get experience, his unique skills will become evident to you and "everyone" else you can't see it now.

Posted by: TWISI | September 10, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26,
I'm glad you think Tomlin is the goods. I am not so sure. He inherited a talented, well coached team and he really hasn't been there long enough to show he can sustain success. I think he's a good coach, but I think he has some growing up to do. He reminds me of Shanahan in his first head coaching gig with the Raiders. Shanahan did some of those same things Tomlin has done and it began to grate on the players. When Shanahan went to Denver, he toned it down quite a bit and was much more successful. Don't get me wrong. I think a coach needs to instill discipline. I just think those little head games are more about a coach trying to be clever rather than him trying to instill discipline and esprit de corps.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Nice job brownie you FRAUD...go follow your beloved steelers......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 9:08 AM

I'm sorry, I missed the clause where I'm not allowed to like another team...

Get a grip, dude. We're Skins fans. You're telling me you don't root for anybody in the playoffs when the Skins are out of it?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

There's a big difference between Stubblefield and Haynesworth.

Stubblefield's success in San Fran, was in large part due to playing next to a dominating player. He wasn't the one being double teamed, Bryant Young was the guy getting double teamed and the true MVP of that defense. Stubblefield put up some big statistics because he was facing one on one coverage and our front office fell in love with the numbers.

Haynesworth is the real deal. He was the one facing constant double teams and dominated. Stubblefield was never a dominant player despite the statistics.

Posted by: dfbovey | September 10, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I missed the clause where I'm not allowed to like another team...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 9:21 AM

Ok, I respect that. When it comes down to playoff time between Redskins and Steelers, most likely in SuperBowl, who are you gonna root for?

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

right brownie, Hampton is legit, and AH is stubby...right.....we're all skins fans......they probably have steelers blogs that you could post on you know....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Haynsworth is legit but I can see some possible issues with keeping him focused all the time. I don't see it as a problem early in the year but as the season wears on that could be an issue.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it refreshing to have a young player state his intentions with conviction and confidence instead of a veteran "leader" being told he has to be a leader? JC isn't a leader, never will be sadly.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 10, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Steelers fans are the biggest a-holes around.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

redskinhead

".... There's a lot of talent on that team (Titans), and they are structured so that the quarterback just had to keep from making mistakes in order for them to win games (hey, maybe that's Jason Campbell's next team)."

So maybe the ceiling for Zorn and Company is a team like the Titans, a team with a two-headed running attack, a game-managing quarterback, and sound defense?

I'll take that.

(INSERT image of Moe waving his Redskin Rag overhead as he kinda likes the style of the blue n white strong defense, good passing game Titans' Tissue.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 10, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I like Mike Tomlin's personality, but declaring him a "top 5 coach" is premature at best.

He's been a head coach for exactly two seasons.

Yes his team won a Super Bowl but so did Barry Switzer's Cowboys (also in his second year as HC).

Both men inherited excellent rosters.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 10, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee

????? Of course it would be in the Super Bowl! The aren't in the same division. Sometimes I wonder about the football acumen around here.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 10, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

From previous post:

Haynesworth was the highest paid Def player for only the offseason.

Suggs holds that title now. But we are the Redskins, so the Media never lets facts get in the way of making money...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

1) Skins fan should never root for other teams, unless it somehow benefits the Skins, as in a tiebreaker type scenario.

2) Is it more important to be right, or for the team to do well this year?

Posted by: McMetal | September 10, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"...Steelers fans are the biggest a-holes around..."

You can be an azzhole when your team collects rings like the stillers do.

How do I know?

'Cuz in my other life I'm a Yankees fan.

And we got 26 reasons to be azzholes.

And this year, we might have another.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 10, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 9:15 AM

Dude, let's be real here. He didn't come the year after the Super Bowl, he came the year after their massive Super Bowl hangover. That roster is old on both lines (sound familiar?) and was high on their own press clippings. He came in and fixed that and got those guys back focused on winning. Yes, he inherited some nice pieces there but it wasn't as easy as perhaps he made it look.

And you have to look at how the Steelers operate: they draft and cultivate talent. That takes time. Right now I would say the Redskins are more talented than the Steelers but the reason the Steelers are the better team is because they get guys who fit what they do. If Tomlin wasn't coaching them up well, they wouldn't have won 12 games in a murderous schedule last year and certainly wouldn't have been in the playoffs the year before.

But hey, agree to disagree...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

This is a post about Marko Mitchell. Why are we talking about D tackles and opposing teams? Let's stick to the topic at hand:

Lanky Livingston = Monk 2.0.

Posted by: MyRedStapler | September 10, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

...Well hopefully something has to give, either beat their guy 1- on-1 or Greg Blache, who is only obsessed about stopping the run, changes up his system a little bit and actually come up with some "exotic blitzes"

Posted by: gcoles32

And one more thing about Blache: he adjusts his scheme to the personnel he has, unlike the offensive coordinator who tries to make his players fit into a nice tidy WCO box. If I had my way, Zorn would be working for Blache.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead, you're not sure about Mike Tomlin's ability as a coach? For real? Do you stop watching NFL football at the end of December? I ask because he coached and won a few games in January, and one particular game in February, that sort of prove otherwise.

Posted by: mack1 | September 10, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I love that kind of talk.
Back it up KID!

Posted by: SOLVBACK | September 10, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 9:25 AM

Skins. It's not even a 2nd thought.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,
I 'd take it too. I think the difference is the o-line, the head coach, and a very fast running back that changes the pace. Got any of those in your back pocket?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

How I know we will win the dang gone SB this year.....

Troy Aikman was on M&M this morn (Was watching on TV, not listening in car. Never) and we he was talking about the NFC East, he said he thought Dallas, NY, and Philly all had a chance to win the division. Then, he said he thinks the Redskins had ZERO chance of winning the division. Though we had the least amount of turnover on the coaching staff and the roster.

19-0 Baby....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"dear devin,you better get really good, really fast or your only job will be returning kicks...which luckily for you...we might have an opening at PR.Sincerely,EVERYONE Posted by: carsonspence"

Despite all the early jibba, I would have been surprised if Devin wound up starting opposite Moss. To me, he's not as good a fit there as the smooth, long-striding Kelly. He's definitely a speedster, but I would try to get him into the flat and let the DBs try to bring him down. He's got an Adrian Peterson style physique and could really be difficult to corral.

Mitchell is very raw but he hangs on to the ball, a huge advantage on fade routes and alley-oops.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: larrypalma | September 10, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"You are way off base here. Greg Blache's philosophy on defense is take the run away first and then bring the occasional blitz. It may not be the same high-risk, high-reward defense as run by Williams, but I think it is more effective. Blache's defense relies more on the defensive linemen reading and reacting, instead of stomping on the accelerator every play to charge into the backfield(note Tiki Barber running past a blitzing Andre Carter numerous times while Williams was coach). I would take Blache's defense any day over Williams' defense. Greg Blache doesn't get the recognition he deserves, but maybe this season will open everyone's eyes.
And one more thing about Blache: he adjusts his scheme to the personnel he has, unlike the offensive coordinator who tries to make his players fit into a nice tidy WCO box."by: RedSkinHead

I think if you'll look at Blache's tenure in Chicago, he was much more aggressive in his game planning than he has been here. Partly because he felt Gregg Williams' trickery was making his players think too much. But I'm sure Blache would agree that the defense produced way too few turnovers and QB pressures last season. So we may see more tricky stuff in the near future.

Blache is a pragmatist. What works is what he wants.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

2) Is it more important to be right, or for the team to do well this year?

Posted by: McMetal | September 10, 2009 9:32 AM

This is the foolishness I hate: I'm no less a fan than anyone because I also enjoy watching other teams. If that were the case, we shouldn't even know who won the Super Bowl the last 17 years because our team didn't play. I'm a FOOTBALL FAN, I grew up in the DC area and therefore became a Skins fan. That was the team that was on every week. If I grew up in Pittsburgh, I'd probably be a Steeler fan. If I grew up in Tampa, I'd probably be a Bucs fan. You don't flip through the league brochure and pick who you root for...it just kinda happens depending on the circumstances.

So Greg and anyone else who has beef: spare me the "true fan" B.S. Just because I'm not drinking the Redskin Kool-Aid this year or sucking up to the owner doesn't mean that I don't love the Burgundy and Gold.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"If Marko drops the first ball thrown to him, it is all over and forever. That is the way coaches think. It is critical that he make that first catch. I hope he does.
Posted by: larrypalma"

You mean, that's the way some fans think.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 10, 2009 9:31 AM

Football acumen? I was being sarcastic.. and a bit emotional because I don't like Steelers fans waving their yellow-@$$ed towels around FedEx Field. Excuse me for being personal.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

My two favorite teams are the Skins and then whoever is playing the Cowboys!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 10, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I never said you weren't a true fan, I just wanted to point out that Hampton is legit, and AH is suspect....just like you said.....again, there are probably steeler blogs out there.....

Where did I claim to be drinking the kool aid, or sucking up to the owner?? All I stated was that timmons and Hampton were overrated, and you tried to jump ugly on me.........

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

mack1,
I think someone brought up up Barry Switzer on the RI and referred to his wins in Dallas after JJ left town. Switzer only proved he could be a caretaker of a team someone else built. That's all that Tomlin has proved so far: he can be a caretaker of a team someone else built. Let's give him a few years before we annoint him the second coming of Vince Lombardi, okay? He has yet to make this team his.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

My two favorite teams are the Skins and then whoever is playing the Cowboys!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 10, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Most original post of the day.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26,
Admit it. You are one of those fans that wears a Redskins jersey but you have a Steelers t-shirt on underneath, aren't you? I bet you own a terrible towel, too. We're going to start calling you Benedict Brownwood...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I offended you Red.

I'd love to see a 3 receiver set including Moss, MM & MK. DT has a long way to go IMO.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

My two favorite teams are the Skins and then whoever is playing the Cowboys!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 10, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Most original post of the day.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 9:49 AM

I wish I could buy this on a T-Shirt! Or a bumper sticker!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Keiser:

You hit the crux of the problem with DT. All talk. Now that he's got NFL competition, he's obligated to work and doesn't want to. Why are MITCHELL and KELLY working out with CAMPBELL after practice and DAVIS and THOMAS are missing in action? Desire, work ethic. The three of them will develop chemistry which will carry over into games. Mark my words, if THOMAS doesn't get his head out of his azz, he's gonna' be cut in his fifth pre-season.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Kelly, DT, Mitchell--we're officially set at WR now, assuming at least two of these guys can be reliable guys. If Campbell does well and we resign him, I wonder what our first draft pick will be in 2010. There are a lot of things that could happen this season to determine that, but barring season- or career-ending injuries to either Samuels or RThomas, I don't see Vinny going OL with the first pick. Fletcher, though, will be 35 next year. And they could convert Orakpo to DE, opening up a hole at OLB. There's two possibles on defense. On offense I could see them going RB for the explosive change-of-pace back they didn't get this year. I'm not dissing Mason, I like him, but have you seen Jahvid Best's youtube highlights? Sick! The FO obviously doesn't have issues throwing stones at Campbell either, so I could see them picking QB in the first round even if JC has a good year. And, they could justify it by throwing Collins under the bus as an over-aged backup, which by then, well... yeah.

Posted by: pgugino | September 10, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

This "rooting for other teams" business reminds me of a conversation my husband and I had recently. I was remembering the NYG vs NE Super Bowl two years ago, and I said something like "I can't believe I was rooting for the Giants that hard." He reminded me how badly we wanted the arrogant, Belicheat, undefeated Patriots who ran roughshod over the Redskins to lose that Super Bowl.

So then I said, "What if had been the Cowboys vs. the Pats?" It took us about 1.3 seconds.

Patriots. No question.

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 10, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Steelers fans are the biggest a-holes around.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2009 9:29 AM

Power Rankings of Team's A-Hole Fans

1. Dallas
2. Philly
3. NYG
4. NE
5. Baltimore
6. Oakland
7. Seattle
8. Washington (I know cuz I have some A-Hole friends who too are skins fans)

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 9:47 AM

Nice...every time I post something you disagree with you jump out of the bushes, guns blazing. And now you're trying to usher me to Steeler blogs. Yet I jumped ugly on YOU. Right.

Here, I'll play your game: AH is the greatest D-lineman to ever play the game. They should retroactively change Reggie White's number so that #92 can officially be retired throughout the entire NFL, a la Jackie Robinson. Because, let's face it, AH's impact far exceeds anything Jackie could have done. Tennessee is now the most disfunctional franchise in the league because they let this living legend walk away for nothing. Hell, $100 million wasn't enough! We shoulda given the guy $200 million! Who needs other D-lineman when you have one guy who can take on all 5 blockers?!

Is that better? Is that enough sunshine for you? Is there even enough room on his nuts for me or are you cornering the market on being his 3rd testicle?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I meant to put Pitt @ #8 and us and #9

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

8. Washington (I know cuz I have some A-Hole friends who too are skins fans)

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 9:57 AM

They probably moved here from Dallas, Phulelphia, New Yawk, Bahstan, Balmer, Oakland, or Seattle.

We're like Waste Management: We pick up all the trash.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Thomas may have a way to go in being a prototype WR but I think he has a bunch of uses as is now. He is still probably the dangerous one, once he has the ball at least.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"he's obligated to work and doesn't want to"

This depsite the many reports in not only the Post, but the Time, stating how much work DT did with Campbell during the off-season, and during camp.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

4th, Seattle?

I don't think I've ever even met a Seattle fan.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Aikman is suffering from Lavaritis. I believe that Dallas has a great chance at finishing last in the division.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 10, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

redskinhead

"I think the difference (between the skins and Titans) is the o-line, the head coach, and a very fast running back that changes the pace. Got any of those in your back pocket?

Well, yes, I do.

I see the redskins as a team in transition.

Most see a power running team.

I see a team that needs to become a confident passing team, that drafts a fast tailback next spring if Jason Campbell has a good year.

That fast tailback's name: CJ Spiller, Clemson.

Having Spiller around is like having Mason/Betts/Rock wrapped up in one player.

Adding a fast tailback--and drafting a left tackle--is the final piece to the skins transition.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 10, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Power Rankings of Team's A-Hole Fans

1. Dallas
2. Philly
3. NYG
4. NE
5. Baltimore
6. Oakland
7. Seattle
8. Washington (I know cuz I have some A-Hole friends who too are skins fans)

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 9:57 AM

Philly fans are the worst, that should #1 on any list. Oakland and Baltimore fans round out the top 3. Boston fans of any kind in any sport automatically make the top 5.

And yes, lots of a-hole Redskins fans. Plenty on this blog, in fact...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Aikman is suffering from Lavaritis.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 10, 2009 10:02 AM |

Who put the Aik in Aikman?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

brownwood26,
Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 9:51 AM

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 9:25 AM

Skins. It's not even a 2nd thought.
Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 9:35 AM

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

So Greg and anyone else who has beef: spare me the "true fan" B.S. Just because I'm not drinking the Steelers Kool-Aid this year or sucking up to the owner doesn't mean that I don't love the Black and Gold.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

What a shame. I enjoy football as well, but there are no other teams I root for other than the Skins(in the NFL). You were probably a closet Pats fan a few years ago as well.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 10, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

brown, NEVER EVER did I say any of that.

I just think its funny, hampton is legit, AH is suspect/stubby II....I mean, right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

If anyone here doesn't like brownwood's proclivities towards teams just ignore the posts and don't respond. Frankly, I could care less. If the dude hits a point I think is correct, I'll second him, and if I disagree, I'll boo. No more, no less.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: will_ga
------------
With only 5 WR's there is a good chance Marko will be active a lot, if not every game, especially when Moss and ARE have their annual mid-season hamstring and hip flexor issues, respectively.

Posted by: RambleOn | September 10, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

And yes, lots of a-hole Redskins fans. Plenty on this blog, in fact...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:04 AM

He said, looking in the mirror.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 10:05 AM

Dude, that would be rational. Apparently, you're supposed to leave that at the door around here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Shuisam gettin famous! Makes Sporting News blog list of notable NFL players. Unfortunately, its the 10 Worst Players in the NFL list...

Posted by: will_ga | September 10, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

He said, looking in the mirror.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 10, 2009 10:08 AM

I knew I could count on you, Talentless. The most classless individual on the blog just couldn't pass it up...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Where I come from "hampton" is a UNIVERSITY. Who's he?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 10, 2009 10:05 AM

I was born in New England and hate the Pats. Try again.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Phulelphia = best phoenetic spelling ever.

Posted by: redskirt_ | September 10, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

And yes, lots of a-hole Redskins fans. Plenty on this blog, in fact...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:04 AM

In Ohio, where I live, there are no worse fans than Pittsburgh. It's not really even close, except for maybe Ohio State fans.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

SUISHAM's going to become famous alright. The headlines on Monday morning will read, "Kicks cost game."

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I've ever even met a Seattle fan.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 10:02 AM

They're all on the upper NorthWest, so we'll prob never even meet one in our lives.

I based this on (1) The owner is a Microsoft Co-Founder and (2) They're all geeks and (3)Geeks are A-HOles

(I am a nerd. Neva a geek. Big Difference.)

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

In regards to the Aikman prediction:

He HATES the Redskins. Although he praises CP when he broadcasts, he does not like the team. He has made critical comments (albeit subtle) regarding the organization and Snyder in particular. Ever since Lavar ended his career (as we all know). But we tend to forget that B Lloyd called him gay. Rumor was, he was upset that the Skins and/or the league did not discipline him for it. Not to mention the fact he is Cowboy @ heart. Emmitt predicted the Boys to go 6-10 this year, but Troy thinks they can win the division. Pretty stark contrast if you ask me.

Posted by: cj658 | September 10, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2009 10:12 AM

Truth is, EVERY fanbase has a-holes. It's a fact of life. DC, Pittsburgh, Ohio...they're everywhere. And every fanbase has nice fans too. I live next door to an Eagles fan and he's nowhere near being the angry idiot most of their fans are. It's all relative.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood, just curious here, and I don’t mean to pile on, but weren’t you one of JLaC’s biggest critics surrounding his “constant negativity”? Seems to me that you are rather constant in your negativity yourself……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 10, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

RedCherokee,
I'm just busting on Brownwood. Steelers aren't my favorite team, so I would never root for them, but I have to admit I was rooting for Baltimore a few times in the playoffs last year.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm enjoying the shti slinging and all, but did anyone else see that Hugh Hefner filed for divorce? As much scattered @ss as he's got in his house, how the hell was he ever married???

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

As a realist, this season will be very interesting. Just looking at the Skins schedule outside the division, they could easily go 11-5 or better. This is not a “prediction”, but it is a realistic possibility for the first time in a few years. The Giants and Cowboys both lost their best offensive players respectively. The Eagles lost their best defensive player. Also, each team is starting the season with a new D-coordinator.

I think the Giants loosing Plax is HUGE. He was Eli’s security blanket, and pure talent. The media is grossly underestimating the magnitude of that loss. And with the new contract, and being a QB in NY, Eli is facing enormous pressure to be the franchise player. It will be very interesting to see how he handles it.

I am not sold on Philly. This is the same Philly team that the Skins swept last year. The loss of Dawkins is also being grossly underestimated by the media. He was the heart and soul of that defense, and there best defensive player. He could have ran that defense by himself. Not to mention the loss of Jim Johnson RIP.

As for Dallas, they are the most intriguing team in the division. I could easily see them going 5-11 and being the goat of the NFL. Wade is DONE. He is a pathetic coach, and should have been outted last year. I am shocked Jerry gave him 1 more year. TO meant more to that team than people realized. He commanded double teams and was ALWAYS a threat. Say what you want about him, he has been an ELITE receiver in this league the past 5 years.

Posted by: cj658 | September 10, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

brownie:

Uh, O.K., I'll try to remember that. Irrational is the order of the day on the blog. Hey, brownwood you suc. Root for the REDSKINS. This is a REDSKINS blog. If you can't root for the REDSKINS get off the blog. How am I doing?

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

redskirt, I'm with you on Cowboys then Pats on my "most loathed" list... and I generally root for the Gints and Iggles to rep the division after the Skins are eliminated, though I know I'm in the minority on that.

etrod, your "original" line up there made me snort out loud. I actually snorted. Great stuff, dude.

4th, no chance are Seahawks fans "worse" than Skins fans. They should not even be on your list. Their biggest collective achievement is whining about a stolen Super Bowl, and when that's where your coming from as a fan base, you got nothin'. I live among these people, and trust me, they belong at the bottom of that list.

One last thing, the Steelers have always been my "second team"/AFC team since I was a little kid. No issues whatsoever rooting for them in any game except against the Skins. That's a real doggone fubbal team.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 10, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:16 AM

Yes, it's true, and every localation has a certain large population of a-holes that root (sp?) for a certain team. Here it happens to be Pittsburgh. (and ohio state)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 10, 2009 10:21 AM |

My AFC team is San Diego, I spent quite a few years there as a youngster. For some reason I find myself rooting for the Saints when they're not playing the Skins.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I was born in New England and hate the Pats. Try again.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Thats all I got. Just ball bustin, people are pretty pissy up here considering the season is about to start. Where are the group hugs and giddiness? Kumbaya anyone?

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 10, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:18 AM

Bigamy's been generally accepted among the idiots. BTW- thanks for letting me know you picked the 'Skins over the Steelers. What did ya think of the 'Bettis' jersey Ladell wore few weeks ago? lol

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

cj658:

Well I like your assessments of the National East. Hope they come true. With a pass rush finally, and supposed replacement of SPRINGS and WASHINGTON on defense plus CAMPBELL and KELLY's newfound love-fest, maybe the last place schedule WILL be worth something this year. I sure hope so. But I still say as both the o-line and the kicker goes so goes the season.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"Irrational is the order of the day on the blog"

Here you go:

but I smell Stubblefield 2.0...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

My AFC team is the 'Phins:

1) 'cause I was there for 20 plus years

and

d) 'cause I love a Fish Fry! And we need to do a StuporBowel tie breaker!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 10, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 10, 2009 10:16 AM

There's a difference: he's supposed to be a journalist, a neutral voice that reports on the team, not pontificates or editorializes in every single post. I'm a bitter and angry fan who's tired of the mismanagement of the team. If I covered the Redskins beat, I would keep most of that stuff to myself and keep it professional. My gripe with him was that he too often took business very, very personal.

For me the Redskins are personal. I've been promised Snickers for treats every year and been fed poop in a Snickers wrapper. I've had my heart broken annually by this team for almost a decade now...at least in 90s I knew they were gonna be bad in advance, I didn't get pomp and circumstance every offseason.

So yes, I'm a pretty cynical when it comes to the Skins. Since I missed all the good times, all I know is the torment of the bad. I thought this blog was a place to get that stuff out, but it's becoming obvious many up here just want sunshine blown up their skirts, regardless of whether it's realistic or not.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

scampbell:

My sympathies are extended to you. NORV TURNER - 'nuff said.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

And I always root NFC East if the 'Skins are out of it. Yes, even if it's the cowpatties. It's not like I actually root for them - I actually don't mind them winning or loosing.. if they loose, I'm happy... if they win, I get some! who can complain about that?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 10, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I have to back up brownwood.

I am Redskin Fan 1st! But being a football overall fan comes RIGHT behind it. I played football in little league and high school. I use to LOVE College Footbal (UMichigan all the way. Home of the Non Shoestring tying QBs).

When I was younger, I had NFL curtains/blanket with all the teams and would look at it for hours. Had Football trading cards (Esiason rookie card was my most valuable @ $6). And had a SB almanac. All of this before the age of 8 yrs old.

So, as a NFL connesouir (sp?) and faux historian, I never saw the NFL as one League. I always viewed them as 2 leagues (AFC/NFC) and declared it acceptable to have 2 teams. One from each conference. So, I had the Redskins as my MAIN team (from the womb). And I decided to choose the Cinncinati Bengals as my AFC team. And I was heart broken when Montana and Taylor hooked up on that TD late in the SB.

Sue Me. I was 9 yr old. And I followed Esiason to the Jets who happened to get Monk as well. I was again heart broken by the Marino fake spike TD pass.

Sue me again. Now, I am out of that phase, but I still root for certain players. Sue me for that too if you must.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

4th, I don't know if I agree with you on the Seattle thing but I applaud your sweeping generalization and the logic that led to it. Well played, my friend.

Pittsburgh would be #1 on my list of a-hole fans with Dallas a very close second.

Both are insufferable but what sets the Steelers fans apart is that they are fans of the most respected and well run organization in the league and have both the recent and historic success to back it up. When they brag about their team, I have nothing to come back with.

Sickening.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

brownie:

Not me my man, bring it. Good or bad, I'm like ALBERT HAYNESWORTH, I can handle the job.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"regardless of whether it's realistic or not"

Then explain this statement:

"but I smell Stubblefield 2.0..."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 10, 2009 10:21 AM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 10, 2009 10:24 AM

My AFC team is the 'Phins:

1) 'cause I was there for 20 plus years

and

d) 'cause I love a Fish Fry! And we need to do a StuporBowel tie breaker!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 10, 2009 10:28 AM

Looks to me like I'm not the only one, Greg. Perhaps YOU'RE the irrational one, no?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

And yes, lots of a-hole Redskins fans. Plenty on this blog, in fact...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

yea that is a pretty solid top 5 of worst fans.

1. Baltimore - Purple camo
2. Philly - only ranked this high because of past reputation.
3. Pittsburgh
4. Pats
5. Oakland

Cleveland is also a constant challenger for a top 5 spot.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

beeps....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"[Aikman] has made critical comments (albeit subtle) regarding the organization and Snyder in particular"

LOL ought to fit right in at RI.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 10, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

brownwood:

Gotta' split man. Thanks for the repartee.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 10, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Glawrence: I disagree with the overall feeling that the season rests on the O-line. I actually think the O-line will be the pleasant surprise of the year, and they will hold up just fine. Just my gut feeling. .

I think the key to success this season rests on the secondary. Yes, the secondary. I do not believe Carlos is 100%. And I am not sold on D-Hall, way overpaid. Both he and Rogers are good corners, but by no means are they great. Snyder gave D-Hall “shut-down corner” money. We will have to see. We are also very thin in the secondary. One or two injuries, and we could easily see Tryon or Barnes having to start. Now that’s a scary thought. I cannot begin to emphasize how LUCKY the Skins are now the T.O. and Plax are out of the NFC East. Not one team in the NFC East has a bona-fide superstar receiver. Overall, the other teams in the NFC East receiving corps do not scare me at all. Not saying they aren’t good, but they nothing to fear on paper.

I’ll keep repeating this: The loss of Plax and T.O. will be huge to the NFC East race. Nobody is really talking about these losses, but their importance to their respective teams will show once the season starts.

Posted by: cj658 | September 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

d) 'cause I love a Fish Fry! And we need to do a StuporBowel tie breaker!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 10, 2009 10:28 AM

lol

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Irrational is the order of the day on the blog"

Here you go:

but I smell Stubblefield 2.0...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 10:28 AM

You keep pointing to this, but it's a gut feeling I have. You can feel free to disagree, but because I don't agree with YOU doesn't make me wrong.

Time will tell. I always top off one of my Redskins rants with "I hope I'm wrong". Just because I don't see everything Redskin in rainbows and lollipops doesn't make it anti-Redskin.

Get a grip dude...you're rapidly approaching T_E status.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas = Koren Robinson

Posted by: ccrum87 | September 10, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

So who are the players that came in under Tomlin? The heart and soul of the Steelers were brought in and taught under Cowher. But I'll give Tomlin credit for 4 starters (Gay, Woodley, Timmons, Simmons) and two significant backups RB Mendenhall and Limas Sweed.

As far as obnoxious fans go, Here's my list

1. Dallas
2. Dallas
3. Dallas
4. Dallas
5. Dallas
6. (tie) Philfydelfia and NYG
8. New England Patriots, not because of their team, but because most New Englanders are rude to begin with.

Posted by: dpc2003 | September 10, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

You're a good man, Mr. Lawrence. Take 'er easy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 8:12 AM

Yeah, God forbid the Redskins ever come up with a coach like that. The LAST thing they need is the expense of expanding their Superbowl Trophy Display case.

I mean what has Tomlin accomplished? Stunts, that's all he's about.

Give me a guy who throws blocking dummies at his QB instead.

Is there a full moon out tonight? Either that or Redskinhead is a brillian satirist.

Posted by: TheCork | September 10, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

There are not more obnoxious fans than Philly fans. Dallas fans seem to respect the rivalry.

Zorn and Co. need to get Mitchell on the field. The guy seems to be a gamer.

Posted by: keino83 | September 10, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Here's something Wise opened my eyes to: when he had time, Campbell connected 88% of the time to his receivers. And, his receivers had a total of 35 drops last season. Wow. Here's hoping the group this year helps him more--I know they will.

Posted by: pgugino | September 10, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003

THIS is a gross canard. Bostonians are rude. Once you get 25 miles outside that city, it's just fine.

Yup, full moon tonite.

Posted by: TheCork | September 10, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Marty Schottenheimer was the Skins last best hope at fielding a respectable team. What a shame that Marty did the right thing and fired Cerrato after the Danny gave Marty full reign on all team matters. Oh my, the nerve of Marty to fire my buddy, says the Danny. Just wait until the season is over and I'll get even, I'll fire him and bring my marshamallow roasting buddy Cerrato back. And Marty started 0-5 but finished 8-3. And he gets canned for doing the right thing and he is replaced by Cerrato and that great NFL coach, Steve Spurrier. And when Marty left, he did so with grace and professionalism. The same words cannot and will not describe Daniel Snyder.

Posted by: getitritegov | September 10, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I love Marko's attitude. This guy is a gamer and I hope the coaching staff knows what a diamond in the rough they have with Marko. This guy just flat out catches whatever you throw to him. We can't have enough of him and if he pushes other veterans aside as he runs past them on the depth chart - oh well! Get this guy in the game and let him play. If he's just a preseason flash in the pan, let's find out now and deal with it immediately and make a roster slot available to a real player; however, if Marko is the real McCoy, we can't afford to waste the season with "if we'd only have played him earlier!"

Posted by: laserwizard | September 10, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Get this guy in the game. This is not the season to wait. Everyones job is on the line from Zorn to Campbell and if Kelly or Thomas are faultering I don't want to hear the usual BS about 'we're sticking with so and so' or 'so and so is our guy'.....just get this kid into the rotation and see what happens. There receivers not QB"s and you don't have to stick with them through thick and thin. I'm not saying to chuck 'em out but just give the kid some snaps as well as the other two and see what happens.

Posted by: congero | September 10, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

We'll see...hope I'm wrong, but I smell Stubblefield 2.0...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 10, 2009 7:09 AM

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 10, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Could Haynesworth take his $41 mil guarranteed and just coast through his time with the 'Skins like Stubby did? Sure, but I don't see it happening. Stubby struck me as being a big, jovial guy who played football because it was expected of him and because he was pretty good at it. Haynesworth strikes me as a guy who will crush you on the football field because he enjoys it.

Posted by: rbpalmer | September 10, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

With Kelly and Thomas suspect because of continuing injury problems, Mitchell may very well get a chance to play this season for the Redskins.

Football players tend to emerge. Just look at Chris Horton last year and Kedric Golston in 2006.

I get the distinct feeling as Doc Walker indicated that Mitchell is just a 'baller and a guy that is going to show up and perform when asked.

Right now at WR the Redskins don't have any givens other than Santana Moss.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 10, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse