Mitchell takes Southern University job

Running backs coach Stump Mitchell said today that he plans to leave the Redskins and accept the head coaching position at Southern University in Baton Rouge, La.

"I had an opportunity to meet with Coach [Mike] Shanahan [Sunday] and talk to him today. I'm confident that Bruce Allen and Coach Shanahan are going to make a great combination," Mitchell said in a phone conversation this afternoon. "I'm confident the Washington Redskins are in great hands, and I would've enjoyed joining them. But I have an opportunity at Southern. I'm going to take the job at Southern."

Mitchell, one of just a handful of coaches that Jim Zorn hired for his staff, said he was likely to leave the Washington area today and could be introduced as soon as Wednesday as Southern's next coach. Southern offered Mitchell the position Dec. 31.

Mitchell had only kind words to say about Shanahan and said he could've waited to find out how Shanahan plans to build his coaching staff, "but Southern can't wait."

"I'm a football coach, and I just want to help my players get better," Mitchell said. "I've had a great experience with the Redskins, had a great experience with the guys I coach. And I wish everyone here just the best."

Politics and pros

Redskins coaches has strong ties to the political world and Dan Steinberg takes stock of Mike Shanahan's friendship with the Bush family

Funny Danny's take

Comedian/Redskins fan Danny Rouhier moves on from 4-12...in his own way.

By Jason Reid  |  January 11, 2010; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chicago a possible spot for Zorn
Next: Mitchell: 'Clinton could've worked harder'

Comments

Go get them Stump!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

With 2011 lockout looming, Southern is definitely the way to go.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

SH IT!!!! first major red flag...hopefully he's just a republican and does not really believe in bushism.

Posted by: dealer1 | January 11, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Now that's Job Security!!!

Posted by: hammer4 | January 11, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | January 11, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------

Read the article. Broncos management asked Shanahamsammich to appear as part of an organizational function.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | January 11, 2010 1:19 PM |

If he can make this team better I don't care if he worships the devil.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | January 11, 2010 1:19 PM |

The Skins could use a few weapons of mass destruction on offense! Arguably a more meaningless story than the Rooney Rule one...but it's close.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 11, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

PAskins..
I am not advocating Collins starting next year, by any means. I am just showing how Collins' level of play and success when he comes in, clearly demonstrates that Campbell is not a bonafide NFL starter. But a servicable backup.
Collins just lights it up with the SAME PERSONNEL when Jason cannot. In 2007 as NFL player of the month. And this year, another example, is the last 4 plays of the First half in the last Giants game. More yardage in 4 plays than Campbell had for the entire half.

And the Seattle game you mentioned.. Skins had a decimated OLine after the last Dallas game before the playoffs.. .. Half were backups and Heyer was a rookie starting his first NFL game, ever. Seahawks Kearney broke a playoff sack record running by Heyer.

Put it another way.. Snyder invests a 1st, 3rd and a 4th on Campbell in 2005. After one year with Zorn, in 2008, Snyder is willing to unload JC for only a 2nd round pick which still no one would agree to. It is becoming apparent that Zorn gave the green light to Snyder to shop JC.. Meaning a top 5 QB Coach in the NFL had a full year of JC and saw he didnt have it.
I am sure we will hear more from Zorn on Campbell once the last Snyder check has cleared.

By the way, your referencing the Giants game in that the 4-0 run TC put together in 2007. You left out the fact that his yards per completion were twice that of Eli Manning (20 yards per verus 10 yards per)... And it was a must win game for the eventual Super Bowl winning Giants that year.

TC is not the starter for the future.. But do you really want to see Jason behind center next September when the Skins need to come from behind with 2 minutes left.. JC has NEVER led the Skins from behind in 51 starts... JC has 4 divisional wins in 51 starts, TC has 2 in 4 starts.
==================================
PA Skins wrote..

Giants-TC threw for a whopping 166 yards. The shotgun draw play and the wind won this game more than TC did.

Vikings-Collins actually had a great game. It was against the league's worst passing defense but I guess it still counts.

Cowboys-First TD was a result of a pass interference penalty and then a 23 yard run by CP. After Dallas pilled their starters in the third quarter TC put up 2 more TDs.

So no, your hero really wasn't that good. It's just that we were winning ball games so suddenly the perception of TC being good is born. In reality he sucks and that's why he got dismantled in the playoffs.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 12:04 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 11, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

If he can make this team better I don't care if he worships the devil.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey, didn't that work for the Washington Senators a half-century ago?

Posted by: cballer | January 11, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I would coach Southern too with all those honies down there!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 11, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

New England win
Eagles Win
Green Bay Win
Cincy Win

Book it!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:43 PM

Flounder how much did you lose. Your football credialbility is right there with Zorny's

Posted by: skinsfaninWI | January 11, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

If he can make this team better I don't care if he worships the devil.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------

If he starts hanging out with the 'Super Devil' tho, I think we might have a problem.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

And there was much rejoicing at Grambling University.

Posted by: MColeman51 | January 11, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Stump. Best wishes to you going forward.

Posted by: Predator48 | January 11, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

If he can make this team better I don't care if he worships the devil.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey, didn't that work for the Washington Senators a half-century ago?

Posted by: cballer

nice and arcane knowledge!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 11, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfaninWI | January 11, 2010 1:28 PM |

I suck I know luckily I don't bet on football so I lost nothing.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

love the Danny Rouhier remark about ARE and his punt return. Was thinking the exact same thing when it happened.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 11, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

New England win
Eagles Win
Green Bay Win
Cincy Win

Book it!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 1:43 PM

Posted by: skinsfaninWI | January 11, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

Oooof! The squadoosh :( Tough break.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Re: Tony Dungy and Rooney Rule

I always thought Tony D was a thoughtful well-spoken guy, but his take on the Skins and the Rooney Rule was pure nonsense.

Re: Shanahan and Bush

Yeah, let's hope that Shanny isn't real chums with Bush. Because we all know there is a direct correlation between successful coaching and one's politics.

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 11, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I definitely want to see JC behind center then. I want to see him behind center for the next 3 years. I honestly don't see the point in getting another QB without fixing the line first and getting a new RB. I want a new QB in next years draft and I want him to ride the pine for a couple of years. By the time the new QB is ready to compete for the starting job I want the line to be top 5 and the running back to be beasting. Then I want to drop the new QB into that team, not the mess we have now. Getting a good young QB now is only going to get him injured, break his confidence, and turn him into a bust. He won't ever learn how to play football correctly because he spent his development time running for his life. I know everyone thinks we can fix this in a year but we can't. We really need a 3 year plan. I'd rather do it the right way and make a run at a championship instead of half assing it and bakcing our way into the wild card spot every 5 years.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

You came, you saw, you really didn't do anything: bye-bye Stump.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 11, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

You know what would make this blog alot more fun and personable? If we started posting pics of ourselves so we could identify handles with faces. I'll start it off. Men want to be me, women want to be with me. Not arrogant, its just the truth.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 11, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Ref Chicago wanting Zorn..
I think Chicago is using Zorn to drive down another undisclosed Head Coaches salary asking price. Zorn is available and was paid almost a league minimum. Otherwise, there is now way Chicago can be serious about Zorn as Head Coach or Off Coordinator.

Basically the Chicago GM could be saying.. "So, Coach X wants this salary.. Lets get Zorn and his relatively low salary from last year, in the mix and out into the media. That could drive down Coach X."

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 11, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

PA,

You acting like the o-line can't be fixed this year it can be with pros running the organization.

I will go with what ever Shanny decides when it comes to QB's I think he knows a little about them.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Re: Tony Dungy and Rooney Rule

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------

The point of the Rooney rule is to open the pool of candidates and prepare minority coaches for the interview process.

Jerry Gray was a product of this rule, but clearly blew any chance of reaching that position anytime soon with his post-interview handling of the situation.

So if Dungy says its a sham because the Redskins used Jerry Gray's skin color to get Mr. Shanahamsammich, than I'm with Dungy on this one. Whose better off in this situation? Gray? Or the Skins? I think that should clarify the issue.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

right, because Peyton going 1-15 and leading the league in picks broke his confidence and left him unable to play the position. Aikman was unable to come through his awful rookie season. Brees struggling on bad Chargers teams early hurt him so badly he can't be trusted now. For every Tim Couch and David Carr there are other examples as well. I trust Mike Shanahan more than I trust your philosophy. If he thinks JC is what I think he is (nothing more than a solid backup) and there is a great QB in this draft and he drafts him, then I'm on board. IF he thinks JC is good enough to lead the team going forward then that's fine with me too. Stop pretending like your theory is the only way, for weeks now you've been banging the same drum we all know what you want to see happen, why don't we trust our quality GM and hall of fame coach to make the decisions since they are infinitely more qualified than you or I......lets just wait and see what the Shanny does.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Going to be pretty easy to defend Southern U next season, since all Stump can call are running plays.

"Look at that Grambling defense, lined up with eleven men in the box again... even with two receivers split wide!"
"You said it, Rich! It's as if Grambling knows for sure that Southern won't be throwing the ball..."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 11, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

For once I think the people in charge WILL make the right moves this offseason to make our team better. I am not affraid of anything. Its gonna be all good. Not saying playoffs, but I expect much improved play and thats all we, as Skins fans, can ask for.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 11, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Comedian/Redskins fan Danny Rouhier moves on from 4-12...in his own way.

More accurate than funny. You won't regret the 3 minutes it takes to watch.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 11, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!
This just in off the wires....
SKINS FORCED TO RESCIND THE SHANAHAN OFFER.

It was really the Mickey Rooney Rule and the Skins never interviewed bald 80 year olds under 5 feet tall.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 11, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

The whole point of this comment section is to post OUR opinions, stop acting like it's something else.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

PA,

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Flound! Shanny could very easily sign 3 or 4 lineman, draft a QB and a couple more lineman and go with the young QB behind a solid line. I'm sure they will commit to drafting lineman more than this team ever has in the last 20 years but that doesn't mean that year one it has to be an all oline draft. It was fun watching Jeremy Bridges start at LT last night and protect Warner well enough for him to go 29 of 32 wasn't it???? With quality people calling the shots we can easily rebuild the line AND get a young QB. The consistent theme to our crappy offense over the last 8 years is mediocre QB play whether it be Ramsey, Brunel, or Campbell, if Shanny thinks that needs to change asap then I'm on board and lets go get a QB. JC deserves respect for the way he handled this season, but nothing more than that, if Shanny thinks he aint it than fine.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Why let Campbell go? They should tender him the low ball offer and see if anyone is willing to give up a first rounder for him. If not, they have an interim QB to give them some time to rebuild the o-line. As suspect as Campbell's play is, I do believe he has some trade value and it would be a shame to have a player who the Redskins invested a first round pick in, walk away, with the Redskins having nothing to show for it. If they sign him to the tender offer and there's no one willing to step up, then they could do a sign and trade deal with someone - just so they get something of value for the guy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 11, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Getting a good young QB now is only going to get him injured, break his confidence, and turn him into a bust."

That is exactly what I was thinking when I was listening to T Aikman during the Cards game yesterday. It's too bad they turned him into a bust after he won just 17 games his first 3 seasons on those horrible Dallas teams (including the awful first year of 1 win). If Dallas would have just been patient, I always thought he would have had a shot for the hall of fame...

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 11, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

But you've said the same damn thing and argued with everyone over and over and over again about it. We get it, you like Campbell and want him to play QB for the next 37 years until we have the best possible players at the other 52 positions before we get a new QB. Some people think that QB is the most important position on the field and that a great QB can fix a lot of problems very quickly. And everyone knows that Shanny is a HOF coach who will be making the decision very shortly so give your opinion a rest and stop arguing with everyone who has a different one like your opinion is the only possible/reasonable approach and lets wait for the infinitely more qualified people who are finally in charge of this franchise to make their decision and then we can all jibba jabba about what they did. But beating us over the head continuously with the same thing gets really old.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Re: Tony Dungy and Rooney Rule

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Any organization that has a candidate in mind that they know they'd probably like to hire, but isn't black, finds someone to use "for their skin color" to satisfy the rule.

The crafters of the rule created it to satisfy a "skin color" issue.

Singling out the Skins and throwing them under the bus for that is ludicrous.

Dungy said he thought it was bad the way that Gray interviewed while Zorn was still coach, but he doesn't blame Gray. He blames the "situation" he was in.

That is also ludicrous. No one had a gun to Jerry Gray's head, and he could have told Dan that he'd be interested in interviewing for the HC position, when it is vacant, but not before.

If the Skins did something unbecoming in this situation, then Gray is just as complicit as anyone else.

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Why let Campbell go?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 11, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Because maybe they don't want him.

Maybe they don't think there's going to be a market for him and they would rather not pay him $X million to keep the JC17 albatross around this organization's neck.

Maybe there is another veteran backup out there that they can sign for a year or 2 who already konws the Shanny offense, and they don't have to waste their time trying to teach JC17 a brand new offense from scratch.

There are plenty of reasons to let JC17 go...

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

If you interview a Hispanic coach does that fit the requirement of the Rooney Rule?

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 11, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"Gray didn't get that job, but now might be one of the only assistants retained by Shanahan; Gray is being considered for the soon-to-be vacant defensive coordinator position."

This is what's known as quid quo pro.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 11, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 11, 2010 2:03 PM

Any Minority.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 11, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Read the thread. I only post in response to Campbell bashing which is also getting very old. I never start the debate. You keep posting your 1 player away bullcrap and I'm only responding to it. We're both doing the same thing but for some reason you think your opinion is less annoying than everyone else's. It's not. Then you cop out and say that we'll do whatever Shanny wants to do. We all know that's what is going to happen. What's the point of bringing it up? I guess we should just shut down the comments section since we're all just waiting to see what Shanny does. Who needs our opinion anyway.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

If JC is tendered the min. amount as a RFA and more than 1 team is bidding on him, do the redskins get to pick best offer or is it up to JC where he wants to go?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

What is stupid about the Rooney rule is that its Forced on teams. Like after all that happened this year, Snyder was really gonna trust Gray to be the next Head Coach. Thats dumb, we wanted an experienced winning coach and we got one. We "complied" with the Rooney rule. There are more African American Head Coaches in the NFL now more than ever so the rule is working, but to say an Owner can't hire who he wants to be his coach is ridiculous. Does Ron Rivera count towards the Rooney Rule? I think that guy would make a good HC someday.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 11, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

If he can make this team better I don't care if he worships the devil.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey, didn't that work for the Washington Senators a half-century ago?

Posted by: cballer

nice and arcane knowledge!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 11, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

HEY LADY!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 11, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Why let Campbell go?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 11, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Because maybe they don't want him.

There are plenty of reasons to let JC17 go...

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Perfectly said. Maybe they do want him, maybe they will keep him, maybe they won't. There's plenty of arguments on both sides.

For:
Still fairly young.
Decently mobile.
Strong arm.
Tough.
Seems to be a soft spoken leader but has the respect of his teammates.
Tough to see anything on the market that is a definite upgrade.
Was a 1st round pick that we traded up for tough to let him go for nothing.
Rarely has had the combo of competent line play + healthy weapons and when he has he has managed the game decently.

Against:
Very inaccurate on anything beyond short passes and check downs.
Poor pocket awareness.
Fumbles a lot.
Slow release.
Not good at reading defenses.
Apparently new systems are like rubics cubes to JC.

So there are reasons to keep and to dump JC, I'll trust Shanny and wait to see what he does before I waste my time with the jibba jabba about him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

PA,

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 11, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------

Both of you are ignoring the ramifications of an uncapped 2010. The UFA tag jumps from 3 or 4 years to 6 years, meaning forget anyone at the end of their rookie contract unless we wanna give up draft picks. The only thing that will be available will be veterans at the end of their second contracts. It's a different year, for sure, and there are 31 other teams who will be trying to improve themselves as well, so it won't be a walk in the park regardless of whose calling the shots.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

considering 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls were won by minority Head Coaches.. cant we just say the Rooney rule is probably no longer needed going forward in 2010.
That surely 32 NFL GMs or owners can be mature enough to interview and select Head Coaches based on performance and ability and not skin color.
Otherwise, the need for the Rooney Rule implies that the NFL continues to feel these same ownership entities are prejudice.

I cant imagine an NFL owner that would sacrifice a winning organization because of a skin color preference? Rooney rule would of made sense prior to the 1980's.. but now??

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 11, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 11, 2010 2:05 PM

If you think he will make a good HC someday why does it matter whether he "count[s] toward the Rooney Rule"?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 11, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 1:59 PM

Paging Patrick Ramsey! You're wanted on the white phone in the locker room.

Plummer's retired and Cutler has another job. Ramsey was a backup for two years in Denver. Problem is he's on Detroit's roster, having been signed when they put Matt Stafford on IR.

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:05 PM

PPS8- Do you see an offseason bidding war for JC? The compensation is set for us and we would have to match the best offer in order to retain him or receive the set compensation unless the compensation is negotiated differently.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 11, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Nice try there but not the case at all. I have never said we are one player away. In fact I have repeatedly said that oline is a bigger priority than QB......but that doesn't mean our draft has to and can only be oline. There are plenty of ways to fix the oline that don't include spending all our our picks on lineman. And I have also said repeatedly that running back is a problem. In terms of being a solid football team as I have stated several times we were:

GM - fixed
Coach - fixed
Oline
RB
QB
SLB
FS
CB

away from being good. That's a lot of things not one player. Don't put words in my mouth to defend your repetitive crap.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 11, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The Rooney Rule was agreed to as a compromise to stave off Johnny Cochran and Cyrus Mehri who were making noise about civil rights legal action against the NFL.

When you develop half-baked compromises to placate half-baked complaints, don't be surprised when you get half-baked results/outcomes.

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

For:
Still fairly young.
Decently mobile.
Strong arm.
Tough.
Seems to be a soft spoken leader but has the respect of his teammates.
Tough to see anything on the market that is a definite upgrade.
Was a 1st round pick that we traded up for tough to let him go for nothing.

Against:
Very inaccurate on anything beyond short passes and check downs.
Poor pocket awareness.
Fumbles a lot.
Slow release.
Not good at reading defenses.
Apparently new systems are like rubics cubes to JC.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:07 PM

I agree with the last two lines of this post which seem to contradict the first 24 lines of the post.

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The Rooney Rule has to go. It just embarrases everyone involved, makes the owner look racist and makes the minority getting "interviewed" look like a doormat. If the coach you want just so happens to be white, so be it. It's a farce to have to have conducted that "interview" with Jerry Grey in the first place.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 11, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Part of the Rooney Rule was to get guys prepared for HC jobs, even if they didn't get them. By going thru the interview process, it helped guys be more prepared the 2nd or 3rd time opportunity came around.

For Jerry Gray, this might mean he is better equipped when an opportunity comes along, hopefully somewhere else.

His unit underachieved in a big way, I don't see why there is so much love for the guy.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 11, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 1:59 PM

Paging Patrick Ramsey! You're wanted on the white phone in the locker room.

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Or rex Grossman who ahs been backing up Schaub in Houston.

Or David Carr...did he spend time with Kubiak and Kyle Shanny in Houston??

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 1:41 PM |

Did the Skins hold a gun to Grays head? Or offer him an opportunity to be better prepared for a HC interview the next time around? Isn't Gray up for D Coordinator? Perhaps there was some reward for him after all.

I am more annoyed with Gray for going around the back of his boss - then lying about it. That's the part I don't like...

Posted by: edvar | January 11, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 11, 2010 2:14 PM

How about this: Require the owner to make a $50,000 payment to the Rooney Rule dude. Then, he doesn't look like a doormat, but like a well paid consultant.

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 11, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Not necessarily a bidding war.

I could see a couple teams that would be willing to send their 2nd round pick in exchange for JC.

I was wondering if the skins or JC would pick where he ended up.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

GM - fixed
Coach - fixed
Oline
RB
QB
SLB
FS
CB

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

You did say that we were only 1 player away. It's right up there where I said I wanted Campbell to be our starting QB for the next 37 years and fill in all the other 52 postions first...O I see you're the only one that's allowed to make stuff up!! Somehow it's ok for you to do that but not me.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 1:41 PM

The Rooney Rule can't force people to be open minded or take chances. And there are much better ways of prepping minority (and non-minority) candidates for interviewing. On the issue of who made out better between the Skins or Gray, we don't know yet. Because MS got the job does not mean that is what is in the best interest of the Skins, MS or JG. Nobody knows if JG is head coach material or not, including JG. Nobody really knows if the Skins are better off with MS. The fact of the matter is that there are a lot more people who 'deserve' a shot at being a head coach in the NFL than there are openings so a lot of people are not going to get their ambitions fulfilled, regardless of qualifications and/or color.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 11, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | January 11, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

And you're also ignoring the uncapped rules. Playoff teams don't get first crack at free agents, and teams that made it past wild card weekend can only sign players if they lose players so that means most all of the good big budget teams can't sign players unless the bad teams like us either A) don't want the available guys or B) signed one of the good teams free agents. Will their be a bunch of young guys on the market? Absolutely not. But will there also probably be a lot of veterans who still have a couple good years left in them whose contracts had bloated over time and an uncapped year gave their former team the opportunity to dump the contract? absolutely. IMO there's nothing wrong with signing three veteran lineman to 2 or 3 year deals while we draft young replacements over the next several drafts. First off, I think its naive for anybody to think that Allen/Shanny came here with the plan that with a Snyder blank check they're going to go with a 3/5ths rookie line next season and rebuild for three years. We're a big budget team and I'm thankful for that. IMO they are going to re-sign Levi and Heyer, sign a veteran tackle or two, sign a couple veteran guards and then draft a tackle and a guard this year, draft a tackle and a center next year, draft a tackle and guard the next year, etc. But IMO there's no way they are going to just go with a bunch of rookies next year.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering if the skins or JC would pick where he ended up.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Which teams do you think would trade a 2nd rounder for JC17?

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Campbell threw for more yards than 17 starting NFL QB's.

how does this make him nothing more thatn a solid back-up?

all of his stats ar 15 or higher, some are as high as 10 (comp%) and 11 (first down%)

if you really think this says 'back-up', then what are the back-ups qualified to do?

stats can be misleading, yes, but nothing is more inaccurate than the commentary of a fan(fanatic) who is upset and emotionally attached to the outcome.

someone who knows nothing about football and doesn't care can easily look at the stats and say, JC is the 14th best QB on the planet. this would be an objective factual analysis.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Skins need to clean house and dump all assistant coaches especially on defense. Good luck to Stump Mitchell hopefully he will get his star running back to practice at Southern.

Posted by: VegasJim | January 11, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering if the skins or JC would pick where he ended up.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Which teams do you think would trade a 2nd rounder for JC17?

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:21 PM

Bizarre. The 'Skins couldn't get a second rounder last year for JC when they were trying to work the Cutler/Sanchez deals. I can't imagine that people now see him as having more value than he did a year ago.

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

We could all agree Dungy is one of the most desireable coaches out there. Would an owner have to interview someone of another race before hand, or could he/she just hire Dungy without interviewing anyone else?

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 11, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I here that Mark Brunell might be available.....

Posted by: tigerjag3330 | January 11, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I hear that Mark Brunell might be available.....

Posted by: tigerjag3330 | January 11, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Which teams do you think would trade a 2nd rounder for JC17?

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

If Warner retires I could see AZ being interested in a number of trades for their new QB. Could see the same thing with the Vikings or Panthers. Not only a trade for Campbell but maybe they would then be into a trade for the 4th pick.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 11, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Seems to be a soft spoken leader but has the respect of his teammates.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:07 PM =====================================
zjfr2..
Normally JC is a classy interview.. but, I think he got caught off guard.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 11, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

PA now your grasping at straws. I never said getting a new QB makes us a super bowl winner or even a playoff team. I happen to think JC is a problem that needs to be addressed and I also think that more importantly the line needs to be fixed. I also don't think Shanny is stupid enough to get a new QB if he thinks its necessary and ignore the oline like the past bug eyed GM would probably have done. I think Shanny has made it clear in his comments he will be addressing the oline, and IMO in his comments he's indicated he hasn't decided quite yet on JC. So I'll trust his decision there and if he goes with a young guy I'm happy, if he doesn't and decides JC is good enough then I'm happy as well and hope Shanny can get better play out of JC. Either way he will be upgrading the line but don't try and pretend I ever said JC was our one and only problem and if we get a new QB we're set.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Which teams do you think would trade a 2nd rounder for JC17?

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

THE RAIDERS, maybe Cleveland, St. Louis, and San Fran

Posted by: ga8085 | January 11, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Campbell threw for more yards than 17 starting NFL QB's.

how does this make him nothing more thatn a solid back-up?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:24 PM

Because the teams with worse starting QB's are looking for someone better than JC. They're not going to say "Wow, look at Campbell! We can move up to number 15!"

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

as Parcells said, you are what your record says you are

then

campbell is as good as his stats say, between the 10th and 15th best.

the only stat that matters is W-L's? WRONG!
If you want to look at it like that then the only stat that matters is Champs or not (1 winner and 31 losers)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Which teams do you think would trade a 2nd rounder for JC17?

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

STL, OAK, MIN, SF.

I think he could help these teams.

I'm sure someone will point out that Campbell didn't get traded last year. Or list how bad Campbell is.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:24 PM

Orton's apparently worth the 4th overall pick in the draft if you ask SkinsIhavenoideawhatI'mTalkingAboutGM.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Put me in the 'trust Shanahan' to make the decision on Campbell.

Shanny's judgment isn't perfect. For example, we know that Cutler is less than he was made out to be.

But Shanahan is the type of guy I want making decisions.

The fan base (including me) has spent years screaming for Snyder to put top notch professional football people in charge of making football decisions.

Shanahan is one of those guys and Jason Campbell is one of those decisions

fwiw, I like Campbell, hope he stays.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

WRONG

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Lets not forget about Arizona... if Warner goes, are they going to hand over the reins to Leinart?

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, I like Campbell, hope he stays.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, I like Campbell, and I don't care if he stays. I think we need better play than he's given us to be a good team but if Shanny thinks he's capable of that and that he can coach him up then mores the better because its seems to me that Campbell is a quality guy and not a prima dona punk nor would he ever be so I hope he does succeed and become a winner in this league. At this point though he has a long way to go.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Palmer, Young, Ryan, Cutler, Hasselback, Cassel, Sanchez, Stafford, Freeman

all QB's that didn't stat as well as JC, and aren't on the hot seat

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The only straws I'm grasping at are the ones falling off your strawman arguments. You stated first that I wanted JC to be our QB for the next 37 years and replace all 52 positions before replacing him. I never said that. Then you crtitcized me for putting words into your mouth after you had just put words into my mouth. You are bordering on hipocricy with that crap. This all leads back to the point I was making earlier about the repetition. You are repeating the arguments over and over again but feel the need to criticize others for doing the same thing. I just want to know why you're allowed to pout words in other people's mouths and repeat the same arguments but others are not?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

WRONG

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Nice comeback. You sure did put him in his place, lol.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 11, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

GM - fixed
Coach - fixed
Oline
RB
QB
SLB
FS
CB

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:12 PM |

I would agree, but would also add:

OC - maybe fixed
DC -

OC - because of your pros/cons on JC, not sure that he will have same results here. Only drafts/signings and coaching will tell. I know that it will be a complete upgrade to the past 2 years.

DC - I hope that whoever gets it, they bring a more attacking style. Blache seemed to want to run a bend but dont break style. Same as most use at ends of games that usually seem to get a big L in the W/L column.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 11, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

GM - fixed
Coach - fixed
Oline
RB
QB
SLB
FS
CB

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:12 PM |

I would agree, but would also add:

OC - maybe fixed
DC -

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 11, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

all I know is that I watched the GB/AZ game, and that is EXACTLY the type of offense that I want, either one, GB, or AZ....don't care who the qb is...to be honest...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 11, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering if the skins or JC would pick where he ended up.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Which teams do you think would trade a 2nd rounder for JC17?

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:21 PM

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:24 PM

Agreed.

Posted by: Realness1 | January 11, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Palmer, Young, Ryan, Cutler, Hasselback, Cassel, Sanchez, Stafford, Freeman

all QB's that didn't stat as well as JC, and aren't on the hot seat

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Maybe because most of them didn't build their stats up in garbage time and actually led there team to victories and were willing to throw the ball dowfield.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 11, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

we have Campbell, Collins, and Brennan

IMO we need to replace Collins and Brennan WAY MORE than Campbell

similarly, Portis, Betts, Carty, Ganther, Mason

IMO we need to replace Betts, and Carty NOT Portis - Ganther's cool, Mason = who cares

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"Jason's locker room "respect" level went down quite abit in the aftermath of his "Unfair" interview ref his OLine. Hard to block your ass off for him after those comments..
Normally JC is a classy interview.. but, I think he got caught off guard."

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

And you know this.... how?

It wasn't like Campbell mentioned the offensive line. He basically said that it was "unfair" how many times he's been hit.

Is he wrong? If anything he could've been way more detailed.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 11, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Palmer, Young, Ryan, Cutler, Hasselback, Cassel, Sanchez, Stafford, Freeman

all QB's that didn't stat as well as JC, and aren't on the hot seat

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085

or maybe Campbell is just as good as those guys, but we, as fans, are emotionally unable to make reasoable analyses of our own players, because we were 4-12

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Which teams do you think would trade a 2nd rounder for JC17?

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

STL, OAK, MIN, SF.

I think he could help these teams.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

The question isn't really whether he "could" help those teams.

The question is whether anyone out there is willing to surrender anything of value in order to get the opportunity to see if JC17 can help them.

I'm sure if JC17 went over to any of those 4 teams for free, they'd give him a couple reps in practice to see what he has.

But we're gonna ask these teams to give us a 2nd round pick in exchange for that opportunity??

Doubt it.

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Riddle me this: Why didn't Zorn's Daddy up in Cleavland Give him A job ( not Chicago) if he's been done wrong ???

Posted by: jiza32 | January 11, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 11, 2010 2:35 PM

Second that. It took us till midway through our 4th game to score 51 points.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 11, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | January 11, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I checked the situational stats on this, garbage time would usually be in the 4th quarter I assume. I compaired Campbells stats in the 4th to a few other guys Manning and Shaub, and they are all about the same, between 24-21% of their yardage comes in the 4th.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 11, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Mitchell was going to Southern the whole time but had to comply with the Schools "Zorney Rule"?? 1 white coach must be interviewed to comply?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | January 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The question isn't really whether he "could" help those teams.

Doubt it.

Posted by: p1funk | January 11, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I guess they'd all rather just use the pick on a guy that has never played a down in the NFL...

Doubt it.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Three of those guys that you mentioned are rookies, and already have shown more upside then JC. All the other QB's you've mentioned have actually gotten their teams to the playoffs. I can make a reasonable analyses on JC because I watched him play all year long. That being said, he's probably going to have to come back because of limited options. But what if he struggles in Shanahan's system? What will be the excuse then? Another system?

Posted by: ga8085 | January 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

DC could just cut bait and not offer soup a contract.

Posted by: Realness1 | January 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

campbell's 10th in comp%, best in our division

of the 9 guys ahead of him only 2 didn't go to the playoffs Schaub & Big Ben

3 guys were worse and went to playoffs
Mcnabb(destroyed), rodgers(lost), and Sanchez(has #1 D & #1 rushing attack)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jiza32 | January 11, 2010 2:43 PM

Give him a job as what?

You've been a Redskins fan too long. Only Snyder/Cerrato tell a coach who his assistants are going to be. Holmgren has been and HC and he will allow Mangini to choose his own assistants. And, Mangini may yet decide to hire Zorn, but it's Mangini's choice, not Holmgren's.

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Palmer, Young, Ryan, Cutler, Hasselback, Cassel, Sanchez, Stafford, Freeman

all QB's that didn't stat as well as JC, and aren't on the hot seat

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe most of that list is a bunch of question marks or older guys. Only Palmer and Hasselbeck on that list are established guys and there is no argument that both have had far more productive seasons in terms of stats and wins than JC ever has. The rest of the list is young guys, rookies, or guys in the first year of a new team. Young played half a season for a team that was 0-6 when he took over and he had twice the wins Campbell did. Ryan 2nd year guy who was hurt and missed multiple games, Cassel first year in a new system playing for the Chiefs (who beat us btw), Stafford/Sanchez/Freeman rookies who all missed games with injuries or because they weren't the day 1 starter, and there's no argument that Cutler had a bad year for sure but IMO you'd still be hard pressed to find any team that would rather have JC over Cutler.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 11, 2010 2:35 PM

Second that. It took us till midway through our 4th game to score 51 points.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 11, 2010 2:44 PM

If we'd been playing against those two defenses, we could have scored 51 points by the middle of the third game, not the fourth.

Posted by: League-Source | January 11, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Palmer, Young, Ryan, Cutler, Hasselback, Cassel, Sanchez, Stafford, Freeman

all QB's that didn't stat as well as JC, and aren't on the hot seat

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Palmer - Playoffs
Young - 8-2 as a starter
Ryan - Sophmore slump
Cutler - Have you read a paper in Chicago?
Hasselbeck - Old and broken down. On his way to Cleveland as a backup
Cassel - Low expectations coming in. Better than anything KC has had in 4 years.
Sanchez, Stafford & Freeman are all rookies.

***Stats are for losers.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 11, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 11, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Difference is, those QB's were still playing to win, not playing prevent defenses and down by a couple of scores. When it's crunch time, JC folds..

Posted by: ga8085 | January 11, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | January 11, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

thanks for that and boooooooooooooya

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez never played a down in the NFL. He did ok.

You could say "luck"... or you could look at rookies doing GREAT in the NFL... in Baltimore, Atlanta, PITTSBURGH.

The NCAA game has advanced much since Spurrier's days. There ARE bonafide QBs in college. Sure, some guys will take a while to ripen (rHomo, for one). But obviously the wind has shifted from the guaranteed bench time of the rookie QB.

Now - could any of those diamonds shown through the rough of our O squad. HIGHLY DOUBTFUL.

So I'm glad we didn't ruin Sanchez, but I'd like him over Soup. I just hate that wind up 17 has. You can cook an egg with it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 11, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I can imagine Shanny (Mr. No excuses) watching film w/ soup and soup tries to roll out the parade of excuses he's gotten from the media, fans, etc. "wahhh, it's not fair, it's someone else's fault that I can't read a D or throw the ball on time and win 35% of my over 50 starts. Call the wahhhmbulance!" Then this by DC: "The following quarterbacks have been released. Here is the list in alphabetical order: Campbell, Jason.... that is all...."

Posted by: Realness1 | January 11, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

beeps

2nd most debated player on the skins

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | January 11, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

bean, most definitely agree about the ARI/GB offenses... and whadda ya know, they were both able to run AND throw the ball.

I'd be all for the 'Skins not using a fullback next year. Primary set for back and receivers should be:

WRs: Thomas, Kelly, Moss
TEs: Cooley
RBs: Portis

Posted by: RedDMV | January 11, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

the point was not every team that did poorly is looking for a QB

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 11, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

This is what's known as quid quo pro.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 11, 2010 2:03 PM

QUID PRO QUO - Lat. 'what for what' or 'something for something.' The concept of getting something of value in return for giving something of value.

Thank you...my learning lesson for the day...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 11, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

campbell's 10th in comp%, best in our division

of the 9 guys ahead of him only 2 didn't go to the playoffs Schaub & Big Ben

3 guys were worse and went to playoffs
Mcnabb(destroyed), rodgers(lost), and Sanchez(has #1 D & #1 rushing attack)

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

How many times are you going to pimp that percentage stat?? Don't you understand that 80% of his throws were under 10yds? Now there's a stat for you, Stat McStatican.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 11, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

we have Campbell, Collins, and Brennan

IMO we need to replace Collins and Brennan WAY MORE than Campbell

similarly, Portis, Betts, Carty, Ganther, Mason

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 11, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse
TCollins is signed for $3.5 mill next year. IMO he is not worth that. JC can be tendered for about the same, but he is 10 yr. younger, has a stronger arm, is more mobile.

I agree that we keep CP, waive Betts & Rock. Betts will still be trying to recover from his surgery. We need to go younger and faster.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

COLT BRENNAN FOR STARTING QB.

Broke like every NCAA passing record, that should at least entitle you to a shot at the job right.

Statistically the most prolific passer to play college football, and all the sudden he stinks. He has to be better than Campbell. Will throw more Int's but will also make bigger plays. Just saying.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

pabrian2003 and PAskinsfan17,
Are you guys the same poster trying to double up the number of supporters for Campbell?

Look, Campbell had some highlights and some lowlights this season. I will grant you that he showed some real intestinal fortitude gutting it out with a swiss cheese o-line, but grant me that he has a real problem with his accuracy. I will grant you that he showed a spark when he responded to Portis' comments, but grant me that it is the most fired up he has been all season. He's got no fire and he has no accuracy, but he can lead by example and his accuracy is better on the short range stuff.

The team has to attempt to get something more out of this former first round pick than a "seeya!" at the end of the season. Maybe that means he QB's next season; maybe that means the Redskins finagle a draft pick for him. Surely, the o-line needs work before they worry about drafting a QB - or a RB, for that matter.

For the record, I would shut up about Campbell if, on the first day of OTA's (assuming he's still around), he walked up to Clinton Portis and punched him right in the face. I think that would set the tone for the season.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 11, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Southern's band is much better than the Redskins' band

Posted by: coparker5 | January 11, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Stump, you did a great coaching job while with the redskins! I know SU will benefit from your coaching. Sorry the seasons here were infused with so much turmoil, that your efforts did not shine like they should have. You will make a great head coach, no matter what the future holds for you. Thank you so much!

Posted by: topaz12 | January 11, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse