More on Sellers and the Flag

One of my favorite things about Redskins Insider is your comments. You guys keep me on my toes.

In a great response to my post on Mike Sellers's conduct with the United States flag, jeff48 criticized me, and rightfully so, for writing I would not have made that big of a deal about Sellers's actions, had I seen what occurred in the pregame ceremony, because I have spoken with Sellers and know his background.

Essentially, I was trying to say I did not believe it was Sellers's intention to degrade the flag, so I would not have cast his actions in a negative light. Unfortunately for me, I left out a key part of my thought process as I constructed that sentence: I would have spoken with Sellers after the game before writing anything.

As a journalist, I would not have written something that could have done irreparable damage to Sellers's reputation -- or anyone's -- without attempting to speak with him. Failing to do so, in my opinion, would be irresponsible. And if I could not have located Sellers, or he said, "No comment," I would have gone to Zack Bolno to seek a comment from the organization.

To write I wouldn't have made a big deal out of what Sellers did was, well, simply lazy. I should have done a better job explaining my thought process. Thanks, jeff48.

Practice begins at 1:30 on Sunday. I'm working on a few things and will post the latest edition of "Here's what I think" before the team takes the field.

By Jason Reid  |  August 30, 2009; 11:21 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suisham vs. Rayner: Is One Kicker Ahead?
Next: Fincher Among Five Players Cut

Comments

is there video of the incident?

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | August 30, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This is a non-story...move on.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 30, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

It still was an act of emotion/adrenaline and he apologized immediately!!!! He stepped up in my book. Wrong/Right, I'm in a glass house with the rest of us. Some should take it easy on Sellers. I'm sure that will never happen again with him.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Just finished watching the "hard knocks" show w/ the Bungles.... pretty good show. It seems that many teams have a "Marcus Mason" after watching a lot of preseason games this week.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

This is a non-story...move on.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 30, 2009 11:34 AM

Maybe to you, but it looks like some of the websites have picked it up. They smell blood in the water.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 30, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

rickyroge is right. Let's get back to Marko and Chase-Colt, etc.

And, hey, it's obvious that Jason Reid is kind of a soft journalist.

No biggie, no problem. JLC was a hard-edged scribe who generated a lot of ill-will in his relentless digging and angle-making, for better or worse.

Now we get details of what got served at lunch and how good it was and writing about forgetting to ask questions on Vinnie's radio show. A different approach.

But it's all good, as long as it's all Skins all the time.

Posted by: farstriker | August 30, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: farstriker | August 30, 2009 11:43 AM

I think you're misremembering the Jasno era. I remember posts about the Doodlebop concerts, about which is the best new printer to buy, about looking for a new house. It comes with the territory, not the scribe.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 30, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm algae in the Marcus Mason "tank", I've been in there that damn long....

Posted by: RedDMV | August 29, 2009 11:59 PM |

----------

Upon second thought, the metaphor REDDMV employs to remind us of his impassioned advocacy of Marcus Mason as a legitimate NFL running back could use some refinement.

Instead of "algae in the Marcus Mason tank," he could have said "algae in the Marcus Mason pond."

That way, we could refer to RedDMV as "pond scum."

;-)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 30, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't mind the "non-football" posts from time to time.... just think of the many months on here that are silent during the off-season..... ( wow, is football really just around the corner? )

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

As far as the Seller's "controversy" is concerned, basically: never, ever, ever, mess with the American Flag, ever.

Props to Mista Mayor for reading, and responding to a hamster's comment.

No harm. No foul.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Keep this up, Mista Mayor, and we will all be algae in your pond.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 30, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 30, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES!!! Way too much sensetivity when it comes to the flag. It's just a symbol. And it doesn't have feelings. Lets just take a deep breath and get some perspective. He didn't burn it, spit on it or tear it, he threw it to the ground. He probably would have thrown a baby to the ground given the emotion and adrenaline that comes with pre-game entrances and ceremonies. Spraying "anti American labels" on him doesn't solve anything except your own self-gratification. Not everyone in this country is as attached to the flag as everyone else. It doesn't make them evil.

Posted by: wewbank1 | August 30, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas could be the player to supplant Cartwright this year. Rock's special team skills include kick-off returns and punt return gunner. Thomas is better at both positions and the Skins really need a faster change-of-pace #3 RB.

The Skins special teams were terrible last year and Rock should be held accountable -- as were most of the other specialists -- the only exceptions being Coach Smith, Rock, and Suisham. IMO they should have been replaced as well...

As for the kickers -- Suisham has lost accuracy over 40 yds and his kick offs are usually only to the 10 yd line. This is not acceptable for a NFL kicker. He was the worst starting kicker in the league last year and he hasn't displayed improvement during the off-season. I would cut him, however Raynor doesn't seem any better...

Not many free agent options left at kicker. Maybe 41 yr old Stover would be worth a look, but his diminished leg strength is what caused him to be cut by the Ravens. I've always wondered why more rugby or soccer players don't try out as NFL kickers???

Posted by: siris | August 30, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Could we please have less of Sellers and the flag?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Siris,

I partially agree with you, but Roc was one of the few bright lights on TEAMS last year. However, I still don't think we save his spot, when his upside was achieved last year. With that said, Danny Smith has had TEAMs on the wrong side of the rankings for some time now... We should have made a change there.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

wewbank,

Thank you for reminding me that not everyone is CRAZY!

We got dog killers, drug addicts, wife beaters, etc., etc., in the NFL and we are worried about how somebody treats a piece of cloth?

You said it just right, it is a symbol. And patriotism should not be measured by how reverently you treat the symbol. Folding the flag properly does not make one patriotic.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Jason Reid, you have accepted responsibilities for your errors, a statement that can not be made for several journalists. Not to mention names, a journalist recently wrote careless,reckless,and derogatory comments about deceased Seun Taylor,so far, He has not even consider taking responsibility for his prejudicial comment; however sir, you have displayed a touch of class by making amend in this post.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

But Sellers couldn't care any less about things like that, right Mike?
Sellers can disrespect the AMERICAN FLAG by throwing it on the ground because he has never done anything but TAKEN from America, and has NO RESPECT for anything, including himself!
Please, someone, prove me wrong!!!
C'mon Americans, for cryin' out loud, we need to allow, protect and honor bums like Sellers and the likes of Michael Vick with lucrative contracts written by bums like Snyder and the gutless Commish of the NFL.
Thanks so much Mike, you've proven beyond a doubt just how far down the tubes the Redskins have truly descended.You and the Redskins belong together!

What A Truly Impressive Role Model!!!!!!

Posted by: burro2 | August 30, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

If you are so concerned about Sean Taylor, accuracy and accountability, perhaps you could spell #21's name right?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Veterans like me have long said while we wouldn't treat that "symbol" in the same manner, we defend your right in this still free country to do so.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

When did we get so sensitive? Got be so careful with everything we say, write, do, jeez.

I blame Janet Jackson. If that beautiful, lovely t1tty hadn't come out like that, none of this puritanical, trying to catch everybody in something crap would be happending.

Some people should lighten up and enjoy life without all the finger pointing and policing of morals.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 12:25 PM

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I haven't read most of the comments about the flag incident, but here's what I want to know: the AP report says he "flung" it and Sellers account is that he laid it down. Which is it? Flung it to me shows a sign of disrespect.

And to you wewbank, I care! I agree, he shouldn't be labeled anti-American for his actions but the flag does mean something to many people. Now serving in my 25th year in the military, seeing the flag presented to a spouse/mother at a military funeral or seeing a retiring service member receiving a flag at his/her retirement for faithful service, it's more than just a symbol. People have given blood, sweat, tears, and numerous time away from their loved ones, protecting our freedoms (even the freedom to disgrace the flag). I don't think its too much to ask for people to be more aware of this fact and show the flag the "respect" that it deserves. Stand for the National Anthem, take off your hat, and remain silent during the presentation of the colors.

That's my two cents...now back to football.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

JReid's next post "Here's What I Think" is coming up!

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 30, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: burro2 | August 30, 2009 12:24 PM |
======================================

Is that you, Otter?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 30, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"No one is perfect except you, I guess. Misspelling Taylor's first name should not diminish the facts. Only an arrogant mind neat-pick.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse "

I am far from perfect, but I can laugh at the irony of some blowhard post like yours about accuracy and accountability in others who can't even honor a great Redskin who came to a tragic end by correctly spelling his name right. And it wasn't even a typo as a & e are nowhere near u on the keypad. And than can't even come back with a "whoops my bad" about an error in a post about people owning there mistakes.

I mean classic stuff, thanks for the laugh abxinc.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The first round of cuts should be painless as the obviously not-ready-for-prime-time-playas will be the first to go.

So when the second round of cuts hits, which vets will feel the knife or are worth the team taking a sal cap hit for to release?

The candidates:

Rock Cartwright
Ladell Betts
Mike Sellars
DJ Hackett
Robert Thomas
Todd Yoder

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

This is a non-story...move on.

Posted by: rickyroge

Not really, but for reason some may not consider. Remember Sellers said he was given the flag at the last second and not instructed what to do with it once he was on the field.

As a result of that, he was put in this unfortunate situation. Whoever gave him that flag without specific instructions is the person to whom blame should be assigned, and questions addressed.

I'd also be curious if it's the same kind of lack of attention to detail that caused a long-time Redskin running back the embarrassment of having to play with the name of a future Hall of Famer on his back (Bettis) instead of his own.

These are the kind of sloppy items that can bite one in the buttocks at critical moments. For a team to be great, someone needs to take care of the "little" things or some day the team may be playing in the muck with only shorty cletes, or on a freezing field without the right batteries for the QB's handwarmer.

So far two Redskin backs have been seriously embarrassed, and the season hasn't even started.

Posted by: TheCork | August 30, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Moe, in what world would you cut Mike Sellers who is Portis' lead blocker. Especially with our potential O-line problems. Also not even a 1/4 competent back-up on the roster. Not a chance of happening.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

chrislarry

If you are looking for confrontation, you are backing at the wrong tree. I'm not in that class. An age old adage: silence is the best answer for a fool.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I'd vote to let Rock, Betts, Yoder and Hackett go. Not sure about Thomas. I've not seen or heard enough about him to make a call either way. I do believe though that LB is a weak link on a stellar D though.
I say the younger players at each position are as good with more upside IMO. Aldridge, Dorsey, Mason, and Fred Davis at TE. We need more speed and youth, no time like the present to head in that direction.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Sellers????? Moe, how in the world does he even get on that list? NO CHANCE!! NONE!! Betts isn't going anywhere either...that would be a very bold move to keep Mason and Aldridge/Dorsey and lose Betts and Roc.....

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

That way, we could refer to RedDMV as "pond scum."

;-)

Posted by: Chia_Pet

Not taking sides in the fued, mind you, but that was one of the better zingers I've seen here lately Chia...

Posted by: TheCork | August 30, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

An age old adage: silence is the best answer for a fool.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 12:44 PM |
==========================================
D00d, this iS rI.

If the fools were silent, it wouldn't exist.

Feel free to take your own poison, if you must.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 30, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

From Matt Mosely:

With 4:30 left in a meaningless games, I find myself shouting at Brennan: When your team's in field goal position, how in the world do you take a sack? This might have been the point when I actually knew Daniel would make the team ahead of Brennan. Just a bone-headed play right there. Once you've escaped the pocket and don't see anything, fling it out of bounds. That play set up Shaun Suisham's miss from 52 yards. Everyone can try to pile on my man Suisham, but that was all Brennan's fault.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I mean classic stuff, thanks for the laugh abxinc.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 12:37 PM

"And than can't even come back with a"

A perfect grammatical construction from a 2 year old. What a perfect man. At least you can spell "Sean" Oh what an accomplishment.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I am curious about which LBs are going to be cut. Cerrato used 2 draft picks on LBs (Glenn & Henson), but I am not sure either will make the team...

Orakpo, Fletcher, McIntosh are locks.

Wilson, Blades, Fincher, Thomas are the veteran backups.

So who gets cut? I think Blades and Wilson will make the team, so that leaves only one or two openings for Glenn, Henson, Fincher, & Thomas.

I hate to see draft picks wasted....

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The candidates:
Rock Cartwright
Ladell Betts
Mike Sellars
DJ Hackett
Robert Thomas
Todd Yoder

Posted by: MistaMoe
-------------------------------
Rock - probably
Betts - ain't happening
Sellers - ain't happening
Hackett - gone
Thomas - not a clue with this one
Yoder - gone (but he'll be available to resign if needed)

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Mark Sanchez last week threw a pick six then his next pass could have been another pick six. Last night he looked amazing. That's what you get with young unproven QB's mostly. Growing pains. I have a hard time believing either Chase or Colt are the next Skins leaders down the road, but they both can look good one game bad the next. JC has had 5 years and this year he won't have the, "different Of. Coord." excuse.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Jason, we certainly (well I) appreciate the journalistic integrity you are bringing to the Insider blog. It is certainly a refreshing change from your predecessor, who in my opinion used this space to feed his agenda.

To be clear, I appreciate valid criticism of the team, but one can only take so much of beating deceased horses with unnamed personnel men from unnamed teams.

Keep up the good work!

Posted by: keino83 | August 30, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"Give Mike Sellers a break! Afterall, he's never had to serve this country in any manner other than making tons of money as a pro athlete. C'mon, paying respect for the "American Flag" is only for those lower life commoners who have served this country with such UNSELFISH dedication over the years so that thugs like Sellers can play football in a free country. Many of these fine men have given their lives doing so and many have just wound up with limbs gone and minds destroyed for life."

Posted by: Burro2

Thanks for using sarcasm and misplaced distain to back up my point. Crappy attention to detail has seriously embarassed two Redskin players, and distracted the team from focusing where it should.

It has damaged Sellers, who was put in an untenable position and (admittedly) made a bad decision to rectify it himself.

But the fact he should have known you don't lay or fling the American flag to the ground does not lift the burden of blame to whomever handed him the flag without instructions. Sellers job description is not flag carrier, it's fullback.

Posted by: TheCork | August 30, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

abxinc, hey great I guess I am not a fool if you are not staying silent, sweet! look I am not a spelling/grammar police type. But if you can't at least see the hysterical irony of calling others out on owning mistakes and than butchering Sean freakin Taylor's name than whateves. (and by the way since symbolism is sorta the theme of the post, some would consider paying attention to the spelling of a dead star player's name symbolic)

Also loved this "you are backing at the wrong tree."

And, by the way you followed neither your adage or your cliche and you are now scrapping with me. Is it safe to assume (and we are both looking like asses) that what you say/type is never what you mean? b/c the evidence from your last 3/4 posts would suggest that.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

RITCA,

I think Yoder is safe too. We will run a lot of 2 TE sets and we can't have just two TE's on the roster. I don't think the rookie Agnone has impressed enough to take over Yoder!!!!

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Glenn, Henson, Fincher, & Thomas
-----------------------------
Glenn - makes the team
Henson - practice squad
Thomas - makes the team cuz he can play all the positions

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"Fincher - becomes the next Leigh Torrence (as in "I can't believe we let that guy go!")"

Good one RITCA, we need a new name for 2009 for this distinction.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

CLEGG,

Good point! Forgot about that since we didn't see it last year.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Chrislarry,

"Sean freakin Taylor's"

Taylor's middle initial is not freakin.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

One of my favorite things about Redskins Insider is your comments.

Talk about asking for trouble...
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 30, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Clegg,

What about Fred Davis?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

Solid points in your last two posts. Not to go all abxinc on everyone, but there is an old adage:
"If you take care of the little things, the big things will take care of themselves"

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Excellent Mark Mosely point about Colt getting sacked to push them back and force Suisham to go for the 52-yarder.

In other QB niggling, Jason didn't exactly shine in clock management in the final minute of the first half (especially at the 37-second mark--he let 20 seconds dawdle off the clock).

His lack of urgency contributed to having to settle for the field goal--on third down, I believe.

Posted by: farstriker | August 30, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Yoder could be in trouble. If they think they need to buy a roster spot at wr/rb then they could only keep 2 te. Especially with Sellers able to fill in at te in a pinch/different formations.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe we can put Lorenzo Alexander at TE too!

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I wondered that to Cork, how did he even end up with the flag?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

chislarry,

Good point on Yoder/Sellers. Also, they drafted a backup fullback who could probably line up at TE and Lorenzo Alexander has lined up as a blocking TE in the past.

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Farstriker,

Zorn was controlling the clock and spoke to it in his presser yesterday. Said he didn't want to leave time on the clock for the Pats. ( totally agree with him,if you don't, think back to the 52-7 game ) Besides, if Dockery doesn't false start we have no run off of time which forced us to take the time out.

Still don't think Yoder is in trouble and don't see us keeping only 2 TE's. If we do it's b/c of keeping 4 RB's or an extra LB. 3rd TE is usually a Spec Teams slot player.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Well Alexander is the emergency QB.....how can you not love Lo' Alexander!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

So I'm watching the Skins/Pats game (hadn't seen all of it yet). On Cooley's 73 yd catch, Marko blocks his guy for 15 yards.
Hey DT11, that's how you do it without getting a holding penalty.
There's no way Marko doesn't make this team.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Cornerbacks:

Hall, Rogers, Smoot, Barnes are locks. So who is the 5th?

Tryon or Westbrook?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ho, Marko Mitchell can not go!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking we still have to give Sleepy Fred more time. No to cutting him.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 30, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Somebody's opinion on Brett Favre in Minnesota:

"Why not? He's been throwing to the Vikings for years."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone said anything about cutting "Sleepy Fred"..... we're not dumping any early rd draftees...

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ho, Marko Mitchell can not go!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 1:15 PM

Sounds like you just came back from organizing a union.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 30, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'll vote Tryon. He made some good plays against the Pats. I've always wanted Westbrook to succeed, but he I don't think he makes it this year. Maybe he's our next Leigh Torrence.
Okay, I'll get off the Leigh Torrence bandwagon now.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 30, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Sleepy Fred is a good talent... this is his year to make some plays... I'm guessing Tryon as well. He's got better each game. Westbrook just isn't the talent of his brother. I think he's out of Practice Squad options too.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Somebody's opinion on Brett Favre in Minnesota:

"Why not? He's been throwing to the Vikings for years."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2009 1:18 PM |
===============================

ZING! That is awesome.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 30, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

News
Posted 1 day ago
1684 Comments 92 Recommendations E-mail
Prediction time: Picking first- and last-place teams in each division
Jason La Canfora By Jason La Canfora | NFL Network

Figured now is as good a time as any to open myself up to public flogging and give you my picks for each division, even before rosters are set. Heck, we're halfway through the preseason, so why not? I'll go ahead and name a last place team as well, which I'm sure will have some of you guys ready to pounce.

Hey, it's just one guy's opinion, and, as with any predictions, let's never forget this disclaimer that should always be attached: This is a wild league where surprises abound in every season, so if anyone tells you they know what's going to happen, they're a fool.

With that in mind, here goes:
NFC East

Winner: Eagles. This has been a real struggle for me, with the Eagles and Giants both suffering significant losses this preseason. I have concerns about Philadelphia's injury-ravaged offensive line and defensive communication system -- with former defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins and starting MLB Stewart Bradley no longer there -- and the Giants defense can't get through a practice without 2-3 more guys going down. I'm starting to think, overall, this division might be down a little this season. I'll stick with the Eagles for now, but not by much, and this smells like a three-team race to me.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"Crappy attention to detail has seriously embarassed two Redskin players, and distracted the team from focusing where it should. It has damaged Sellers"

Don't make this more than it is...complete non issue on both counts, keeping track of the Betts/Bettis thing is to quote cl, straight tard, as is the pathetic attempt to say this in any way damaged the person that is Mike Sellers....nothing to see here....keep moving....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

ABX,

I saw that yesterday.... I can't argue with his prediction until we show we can start and finish... The upside for us is we should have won 10 games last year, throwing up 3 real stinkers agains the Rams, Cinci and SanFran. Take 2 of 3.

However, if we stay healthy, I really think the offense will be in the top half of the league this year. Just a hunch.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The first five cuts are out:

LB Fincher
OT Clark
S Grant
DT Marquardt
WR Hagans

Posted by: siris | August 30, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

We need a "beep beep".......

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Loser: Redskins. The Redskins look like a team with a top-5 defense and a bottom-5-10 offense, which is roughly what they have been for five years now. Winning 7-8 games seems about right -- they'd beat start quickly before the schedule and weather turn severe -- which probably puts them bottom of the pack, unless a division foe gets ravaged by injuries. --jla

I don't mind seeing this, this team does much better when they're disrespected. If everyone was touting them right now, we'd really be in trouble! Just keep talking about how great the rest of the division is...he-he.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 30, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

How's that for timing????

Beep Beep

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

wow Fincher doesn't even make final round.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 30, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Well CLEGG, the re-post is just to show Redskins fans how obnoxious Jason La Canfora
is. No wonder we kicked him out of Washington.

Posted by: abxinc | August 30, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@burro2

I don't know what your motives are with your comments but it's obvious that your not a fan of the team. Sellers is not a bad guy and meant no disrepect.

Also, I've been in the Army for 11 years now, served in multiple operations and have seen the flag drop in some form or another a few times. Surprisingly none of the culprits were kicked out. You do a couple of push-ups and drive on. We know it means something but your going on borderline worship.

Posted by: sire1 | August 30, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Some people can't wait for an opportunity to get self-righteous (Burro 2). Did you read/see/hear about Sellers comments from the press conference he initiated? If so I wonder why you would assume that he dropped the flag because of some lack of appreciation for our country or what people in the armed forces have done. I seem to recall that he spoke specifically about his father who was a member of the armed forces and the respect he has for the country and the flag. Given all that, I don't think it makes much sense to get up in arms about this...unless you're looking for an opportunity to feel righteous.

Posted by: FITS | August 30, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Since when does serving in the military make you a Patriot? Thats a joke. Give it a rest.

Posted by: wewbank1 | August 30, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

@wewbank1

I never said it does but I'am. I wanted to serve my country period.Since when does being a republican make you a patriot?

Posted by: sire1 | August 30, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse